PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Bad

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10

Tinordi
09-23-2013, 12:31 PM
Yeah I guess. I don't know, I guess I'm not a fan of the idea that Walt kills himself. Seems sort of anti-climactic. I hope Jessie or someone in his family pulls the trigger.

Can you imagine if it was Walt Jr.?
Ugh, no I can't imagine that. If you want shock and awe TV watch True Blood or something.

polak
09-23-2013, 12:41 PM
Ugh, no I can't imagine that. If you want shock and awe TV watch True Blood or something.

Walt Jr. might have been a bit extreme but Marie could do it.

FlamesAddiction
09-23-2013, 12:46 PM
I can't help but think of what Jesse told Hank just before the desert shootout. Whatever you think is supposed to happen, the opposite will happen. Only this time, I am expecting Jesse to have the luck.

I think Walt plans on using the ricin on himself, but Jesse will switch it out with something else. I can see Walt hoping to take it once in custody but then not finding it. I am expecting Walt to get locked up and at the very end, a prison doctor telling him that he is back in remission.

For some reason, I am also expecting the fixer to get the money from New Hampsire to Skylar. He never said that he wouldn't.

trackercowe
09-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Agreed, having someone from the family kill him would be idiotic. Jesse is a possibility, but even then I just can't picture a way that it happens.

polak
09-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Less idiotic then characters whose development before this season consisted of a grand total of 2 minutes of screen time? Jack and Todd are basically randoms in the grand scheme of the show.

Might as well have Bogdon come back and kill Walt for screwing him out of the car wash. Hell, Ted Beneke would be a better choice.

Hemi-Cuda
09-23-2013, 12:57 PM
I can't help but think of what Jesse told Hank just before the desert shootout. Whatever you think is supposed to happen, the opposite will happen. Only this time, I am expecting Jesse to have the luck.

I think Walt plans on using the ricin on himself, but Jesse will switch it out with something else. I can see Walt hoping to take it once in custody but then not finding it. I am expecting Walt to get locked up and at the very end, a prison doctor telling him that he is back in remission.

For some reason, I am also expecting the fixer to get the money from New Hampsire to Skylar. He never said that he wouldn't.

I don't understand this fixer guy, is he the one person in the criminal underworld with ethics? He takes Walt out to the middle of nowhere, no prying eyes, barrel full of money in plain site (far more than what Walt is paying him), and he doesn't just kill Walt and take it? Even if he's not a violent guy what's stopping him from just taking the money and leaving? Cancer ridden Walt couldn't stop him physically, and he doesn't have a gun that I've seen. It just doesn't add up

nik-
09-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Less idiotic then characters whose development before this season consisted of a grand total of 2 minutes of screen time? Jack and Todd are basically randoms in the grand scheme of the show.

Might as well have Bogdon come back and kill Walt for screwing him out of the car wash. Hell, Ted Beneke would be a better choice.

Alan Sepinwall addressed this pretty well in his latest article on Breaking Bad. They're here to erase the glamour of the business.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-breaking-bad-granite-state-no-escape

Ark2
09-23-2013, 01:18 PM
I don't understand this fixer guy, is he the one person in the criminal underworld with ethics? He takes Walt out to the middle of nowhere, no prying eyes, barrel full of money in plain site (far more than what Walt is paying him), and he doesn't just kill Walt and take it? Even if he's not a violent guy what's stopping him from just taking the money and leaving? Cancer ridden Walt couldn't stop him physically, and he doesn't have a gun that I've seen. It just doesn't add up

I got the impression that he is just waiting for Walt to die. Then he will take the money. This way he still gets rich but doesn't have to burden himself with the guilt of killing Walt. Who knows though? Maybe he is just waiting for Walt to get a little bit weaker before making a move.

Red
09-23-2013, 01:21 PM
Alan Sepinwall addressed this pretty well in his latest article on Breaking Bad. They're here to erase the glamour of the business.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-breaking-bad-granite-state-no-escape

That's one guy's opinion though. And if anything, they are primitive hitmen and not meth businessmen. Nothing to take glamour off there.

Bill Bumface
09-23-2013, 01:23 PM

At one point Gus was a minor character.

So was Lydia.

I don't understand what is so horrible about introducing new characters throughout the series as the landscape of the meth business changes.

Jack and Todd have now been in many episodes and had a lot of screen time. They are no longer fringe characters at all. What is so horrible about new characters coming in the last two seasons and having major impact on the story line?

As Walt took out his opposition to maintain his status/move up (Emilio, Krazy 8,Tuco, The rival dealers, Gus, Mike) there was always going to be someone else taking a shot at his business, as it's obviously very lucrative. Someone had to be last, and I don't get the grip that it's these guys? He's kind of taken out everyone else, and they are the most recent to go after his business.

Radio
09-23-2013, 01:23 PM
Why does everyone think the supremacists are just fillers...random characters. Walt hired them to pull off the prison killings and then do other dirty work for him. He brought them into his life and in the underworld there's always someone wanting to take what you have. The Cartel did it to Gus, Gus did it to the Cartel, Walt did it to Tueco (sp?) and Gus. Now it's only natural that it is being taken from him by the guys he brought in.

I think it's a perfectly natural progression of the story. In hindsight it's a bad decision by Walt to get mixed up with them. Mike was right Walt ruined everything by trying to be "The Man".

nik-
09-23-2013, 01:38 PM
That's one guy's opinion though. And if anything, they are primitive hitmen and not meth businessmen. Nothing to take glamour off there.

Well, that's sort of the point, there are no "meth businessmen", there are thugs who deal meth.

Tinordi
09-23-2013, 01:41 PM
The prison gang is the perfect allegory to making a deal with the devil. In saving himself by using them Walt has ruined everything. They're also just a larger metaphor of the drug business. You can't be in the business without these types of guys around and sooner or later they'll bite you.

polak
09-23-2013, 01:49 PM
I would be completely fine with the nazis being another Gus or Tuco, but the series should end with a climax between one of the main characters. Hank is gone so Jessie is the only one left.

AC
09-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Felina.

FE(iron)=Blood
LI(lithium)=Meth
NA(sodium)=Tears
Also 'Felina' is an anagram for 'Finale'.

trackercowe
09-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Anyone else read that Felina is an anagram for Finale? Don't think I've seen it posted yet.

AC
09-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Anyone else read that Felina is an anagram for Finale? Don't think I've seen it posted yet.
Oops, looks like it was posted once or twice before...

FlamesAddiction
09-23-2013, 03:53 PM
It's also the feminine version of "feline" in Spanish. I can't imagine where that meaning would come into play though.

polak
09-23-2013, 03:54 PM

La Fine is also "The End" in Italian.

Coincidence?!!?!

8sPOT
09-23-2013, 04:06 PM
I personally think Todd's role in the show from one of the guys on the fumigation crew to where he is now has been fascinating. All the while this seemingly nice, genuine, ethical kid is a psychopath.

Once he killed Drew Sharpe I knew there's way more to Todd than meets the eye. He's able to commit these brutal crimes yet he does so in a manner that doesn't make you hate the guy. A brilliant character.

FlamesAddiction
09-23-2013, 04:06 PM
I saw this on the internet as well. Somewhat related, but I think it misses the mark a little.

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/robbins-marty/el-paso-11889.html

Regulator75
09-23-2013, 04:08 PM
Also...

A Elfin
Flea In
Leaf In
Ale Fin
Lea Fin
Lane If
Elan If
Lean If
Fa Line
Fa Lien
Fail En

etc...

Wormius
09-23-2013, 04:24 PM
I personally think Todd's role in the show from one of the guys on the fumigation crew to where he is now has been fascinating. All the while this seemingly nice, genuine, ethical kid is a psychopath.

Once he killed Drew Sharpe I knew there's way more to Todd than meets the eye. He's able to commit these brutal crimes yet he does so in a manner that doesn't make you hate the guy. A brilliant character.

I think Todd just wants people to like him. Almost like he's very susceptible to other peoples commands, I think he takes stuff very literally from the people he trusts/respects. He strikes me as naive.. Almost as if he appears to be a psychopath, but he's really just following people's wishes to a 'T'.

FlamesAddiction
09-23-2013, 04:36 PM
I think Todd just wants people to like him. Almost like he's very susceptible to other peoples commands, I think he takes stuff very literally from the people he trusts/respects. He strikes me as naive.. Almost as if he appears to be a psychopath, but he's really just following people's wishes to a 'T'.

Although, when they were watching Jesse describe how Todd shot that kid, Todd looked very pleased with himself.

gargamel
09-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Also...

A Elfin
Flea In
Leaf In
Ale Fin
Lea Fin
Lane If
Elan If
Lean If
Fa Line
Fa Lien
Fail En

etc...

You missed Fe(iron) nail. I hope everyone's up to date on their tetanus shots.

MrMastodonFarm
09-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Todd is a great character, he's truly a disturbing weird individual. The calm cool way he apologizes and tries to comfort people as he does terrible things is so very interesting to watch.

When Skyler walked into the babies room and was confronted by Todd and company in the ski masks I jumped a little, didn't expect that.

speede5
09-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Also...

A Elfin
Flea In
Leaf In
Ale Fin
Lea Fin
Lane If
Elan If
Lean If
Fa Line
Fa Lien
Fail En

etc...It's Valley Forge, she hit the E and the L twice.

trackercowe
09-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Todd is a great character, he's truly a disturbing weird individual. The calm cool way he apologizes and tries to comfort people as he does terrible things is so very interesting to watch.

When Skyler walked into the babies room and was confronted by Todd and company in the ski masks I jumped a little, didn't expect that.
So true, that scene came out of nowhere, and now who knows how "safe" Walt's family is. When he left I thought they would be safe since they don't know a whole lot, but who would think Skyler interacting with Lydia for all of 30 seconds would have made that much of an impact? Skyler has no real idea who Lydia is or what she does, and yet Lydia still wants her dead... she's even more ruthless than Todd is (and she's a mother to boot)! Maybe they would make the perfect couple.

Boring episode my ass.

Coys1882
09-23-2013, 07:45 PM
So true, that scene came out of nowhere, and now who knows how "safe" Walt's family is. When he left I thought they would be safe since they don't know a whole lot, but who would think Skyler interacting with Lydia for all of 30 seconds would have made that much of an impact? Skyler has no real idea who Lydia is or what she does, and yet Lydia still wants her dead... she's even more ruthless than Todd is (and she's a mother to boot)! Maybe they would make the perfect couple.

Boring episode my ass.

I don't think Lydia has a clue that warning went down. I think that was all Meth Damon trying to protect the woman he fancies.

trackercowe
09-23-2013, 07:50 PM
I don't think Lydia has a clue that warning went down. I think that was all Meth Damon trying to protect the woman he fancies.
Did you miss the scene at the coffee shop where she stated she was behind it all, and that she wanted Todd to take Skyler out? Obviously she knew what was going on, and if it was up to Lydia Skyler would be dead.

Matata
09-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Todd only does what he thinks Walter White would do. I thought the best part of the episode was Todd running around doing his best impression of WW: claiming ownership of Jesse, his ruthlessness, wheeling and dealing, that outfit he wore when he met Lydia...

Todd is a sleeping giant that is waking up.

calumniate
09-23-2013, 09:23 PM

Agreed, great character. Funny how he has become very much like Walt. Inability to take the money and run. Is showing compassionate, tough love for Jesse. He dies :-(

calgarywinning
09-23-2013, 11:28 PM
Go home calgarywinning, you're drunk

Cranston deserved best actor. Period.

sun
09-23-2013, 11:43 PM
Filler episode lol. It was great.

sun
09-23-2013, 11:44 PM
Todd is one of the best characters. Such a frightening mother####er. I like how he picked a little piece of lint or something off Lydia's back.

Oling_Roachinen
09-23-2013, 11:46 PM
Agreed, great character. Funny how he has become very much like Walt. Inability to take the money and run. Is showing compassionate, tough love for Jesse. He dies :-(

You think Todd is showing tough love to Jesse?! If that's what you consider tough love, please let me never get on your bad side.

fredr123
09-24-2013, 07:34 AM
I wonder if Grey Matter's charity fund is going to come into play. I think Walt may find a way to use what he has left of his cash and donate it to the fund anonymously so that some good might come of all this.

gargamel
09-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Conan had Gilligan and pretty much the entire cast on last night.

66kIF-iO5oQ

getbak
09-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Two copies of the DVD...

gdUqHe2Wlhc

No fanfare, no metaphor, no brilliant final words. The culmination of the most influential work of dramatic literature is "He dies."

TurnedTheCorner
09-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Cranston deserved best actor. Period.

Probably, but your post was still hilarious.

woob
09-24-2013, 02:06 PM
It's amusing to me how quickly some people jump to trash episodes or writing choices of a TV show that they've been religiously glued to for so long. As others have said, that show was ANYTHING but filler. No high action, no real supreme violence, but that was one of the most intense episodes of the show ever and I can't wait for the finale.

Displaced Flames fan
09-24-2013, 02:10 PM
One of the best episodes of the series. Loved it.

Robert Forester was a perfect choice to play Saul's 'I know a guy, Guy'.

Todd is a brutal MFer. Holy crap.

calumniate
09-24-2013, 02:11 PM
You think Todd is showing tough love to Jesse?! If that's what you consider tough love, please let me never get on your bad side.

Well different paradigm for sure, but in a way it reflects how Jesse had unknowingly been used by Walt in the past. Also, Todd is the only reason why Jesse is alive right now.

Tinordi
09-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Well different paradigm for sure, but in a way it reflects how Jesse had unknowingly been used by Walt in the past. Also, Todd is the only reason why Jesse is alive right now.
Jesse is walking dead.

Da_Chief
09-24-2013, 03:48 PM
http://ca.omg.yahoo.com/news/breaking-bad-made-dying-boy-wish-come-true-153505871.html

Gilligan once offered to tell Cordasco how “Breaking Bad” would end, and the teen turned him down — because he planned to live to see it himself.
Sadly, he didn’t. But he did contribute one of the its most crucial plot developments.

Sad but the boy left his mark on the show.

FlamesAddiction
09-24-2013, 04:30 PM
It's amusing to me how quickly some people jump to trash episodes or writing choices of a TV show that they've been religiously glued to for so long. As others have said, that show was ANYTHING but filler. No high action, no real supreme violence, but that was one of the most intense episodes of the show ever and I can't wait for the finale.

It actually was almost completely by definition. The plot didn't really move forward. We already knew that Walt was in hiding, his family hated him, the Nazis were running the show, Jesse was captive and that Walt was going to go back to NewMexico... the only thing added was Skylar's legal problems. Nothing else changed.

The episode filled in details around plot aspects we were already aware of in the past episodes. That makes it filler.

I'm not saying that it wasn't interesting or necessary though. I liked the episode on it's own. I am not entirely sold of the direction of the last half of the season in general though. Still the best show on TV IMO, but not beyond criticism.

Red
09-24-2013, 04:42 PM
It actually was almost completely by definition. The plot didn't really move forward. We already knew that Walt was in hiding, his family hated him, the Nazis were running the show, Jesse was captive and that Walt was going to go back to NewMexico... the only thing added was Skylar's legal problems. Nothing else changed.

The episode filled in details around plot aspects we were already aware of in the past episodes. That makes it filler.

I'm not saying that it wasn't interesting or necessary though. I liked the episode on it's own. I am not entirely sold of the direction of the last half of the season in general though. Still the best show on TV IMO, but not beyond criticism.

That's exactly how I felt. But I guess for some every new episode is better than last and you can't have other opinions.

Anyways, my crazy twist prediction is that Walt gets off somehow and is a free man at the end.

CalgaryFan1988
09-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Jesse and Walt have something in common. They both want all those guys dead.

Just sayin'

MrMastodonFarm
09-24-2013, 08:28 PM
Jesse and Walt have something in common. They both want all those guys dead.

Just sayin'

One thing they don't have in common though, Jesse wants Walt dead...

Da_Chief
09-24-2013, 08:29 PM
And Walt wants Jesse dead.

sun
09-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Yeah I can't imagine those guys teaming up. Jesse probably blames Walt for Brock's Mom (andrea?) getting shot. Definitely blames him for Jane's death. Poisoning brock obviously. Walt blames Jesse for ratting him out and ruining his life basically.

You never know I suppose.

CalgaryFan1988
09-24-2013, 08:54 PM
I couldn't see them teaming up per se. I could see them putting their differences aside for 20 minutes until everyone else is dead.

Walt might not have saved Jesse's gf, but he didn't shoot her in the back of the head either.

TurnedTheCorner
09-24-2013, 09:00 PM
I don't think the series ends with bad blood between Walt and Jesse, myself. We'll see.

MrMastodonFarm
09-24-2013, 09:24 PM
I don't think the series ends with bad blood between Walt and Jesse, myself. We'll see.

I can't see how it ends without it.

Wormius
09-24-2013, 09:27 PM

Walt agrees to take the ricin if Jesse will make sure Walt's family gets the money.

CalgaryFan1988
09-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Walt agrees to take the ricin if Jesse will make sure Walt's family gets the money.

After they kill the Nazis or whatever they are. Then Walt takes the ricin, walks in and confesses, taking all the blame.

Goes on his own terms.

Jesse comes back with his spinoff called "Badly Broken". :bag:

Radio
09-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Todd will kill Lydia when she spurns his advances...

Cali Panthers Fan
09-25-2013, 09:39 AM
My prediction is Walt and Jesse meet during the chaos of a Walt attack and the unspoken understanding of their common enemy being eliminated takes over. Once the skinheads are dead or on the run the last shot will be Walt and Jesse in a standoff with weapons drawn...then fade to black.

MrMastodonFarm
09-25-2013, 10:35 AM
FLaWiUWEX1k

Daradon
09-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Woof... cannot believe they killed Andrea! Felt like I got punched in the gut. So brutal. I knew there would be a scene where they showed Jesse they could get to Andrea and Brock, but did not think they'd actually go through with it. Thought they'd just scare him.

It's a tiny bit unbelievable that Jack and crew would go so far to help Todd in his plans to make more money/get Lydia when they feel they have enough money to begin with and were ready to waste Jesse months ago. Why would they risk getting caught by racking up more bodies especially when they finally have so much to lose? (70 mill and easy street!) But meh, it's a small detail, you know they have to advance the plot with Jesse.

Great episode, very riveting.

Daradon
09-25-2013, 11:24 AM
A bit long winded, but those who take the time to read it will probably like it and agree...

A thought/response to all those that say the last few episodes are filler or not as great as the rest, etc. Technically I guess you are right, it is 'filler'. However that's the whole point of having an end, and knowing the end is coming, there is really no way around it.

There is actually a literary term for reading, or watching a show/movie/story, and knowing the ending is coming. Tried to do a quick google search for it, but it's a long winded idea to search around and have come up empty after a few tries, but I studied it a bit years ago. Anyway, we've all been through the experience. Imagine you are reading a book and you get to the last chapter, or even the last ten pages. You know the ending is right around the corner. So your brain, especially if it's engaged, (and obviously we are watching and critiquing this show a lot so they are very engaged) is already figuring out what can and can happen in that last bit of time left. Your actively thinking, ok, there HAS to be a resolution for 'this, this, this' coming up and since it is so soon, we know it can't be 'this, this, or that'. It narrows the possibilities down, and makes the answers or plot easier to see. So in our mind, since we can see it coming and/or reasonably predict what is going to happen next, it's filler to us.

As well, there is next to no time left to add anything new, or have new plot twists. To have a satisfying conclusion you need to fill in the holes and so sometimes it seems like filler. However, there is really no way around it and the alternative is much worse. And we all know about bad or unsatisfying endings.

It's a problem that writers, and storytellers of both the page and screen have dealt with since the beginning of time, since people actually studied what makes good writing. People know 99% of the time when the ending is coming. All shows have screen time, every book has a back cover, and our brains know that and plug it into how we read or view the show. And with modern marketing, especially with TV, we know exactly how long things will last. Takes a bit of the fun out of it. But can you imagine going into a movie that you didn't know how long it would last (sometimes we don't know exactly, but we always have a reasonable idea) or holding a book that looks like 1200 pages but is only 600? No, these things don't exist. Stories can never mimic life exactly because we can see the end approaching. There is a finite amount of time and place to the story and in most cases it needs a conclusion. Life is not like that. (We die I know, and sometimes we see it coming, I know, but you see what I'm getting at)

That's part of the reason why people love twist endings so much. Cause it's flips that around to an extent.

However since we have not seen the last episode of Breaking Bad yet, we still cannot say truly how good or bad the 'ending' has been. Who knows, maybe there's even one last twist that blows all of our socks off Se7en style! I kinda doubt it, but it's possible.

But the criticisms people are levying at the last couple episodes have little or nothing to do with the talent of the writing style or the quality of the writing. It's just a natural phenomenon of telling a story. I will admit they made it a little harder on themselves in this regard by giving us those two flash forwards we have seen, as that also makes guessing easier. We have points to connect in our minds. However, it was a calculated writing technique used to build suspense earlier in the season and tell the story, and I think it worked really well.

Lastly, and this goes for all popular television series, and has a little to do with the last bit, but is important to remember, 'good' and universally loved endings are very hard to achieve. Would probably only need one hand, MAYBE two, to list the series that were able to tie it up well, while it would be hard to count the other side. Even shows considered some of the best television ever have struggled with this. Remember the Seinfeld series ending? Look at how people are reacting to Dexter this year. A television series lasts years, many many hours. Much more than a movie. Providing a satisfying ending to all these characters who people have come to feel so strongly about is difficult, cause they become so real to us. We want to know more and more and more.

As well, most series work with a plot line that is only visible for the writers up to the next episode or two. And even modern shows, that are more continuing and story driven than shows in the past still often don't know if they are going to last the season so even they don't plan ahead as much, and have to tell a certain amount of story on a clock. So resolving all these plot points, that were often thrown in by necessity as the show continues can be very difficult indeed. There's a certain amount of improv to it, in a sense. Can you imagine having to write a concise ending to 55 hours of improv?

So there you have it, my thoughts on it anyway, as I know a bit about the writing process. If you made it this far thanks for listening. All I'm saying is, you're looking at the natural progression of the end of a popular show and there are things to remember when judging writing. I think they have done a fantastic job so far. Far better than many other shows, they have kept the plot tight and believable and interesting all through the series. Course the big one is still to come, even I may change my mind. They could still screw it up, for sure. But they could also hit it out of the park, we all love a good twist ending. In the end I think we'll get a satisfying but slightly predictable ending that I will be happy with.

Sure hope we get a twist though!

King Hippo
09-26-2013, 05:30 PM

Indeed, Todd is awesome. A cold killer, yet sympathetic to people

I dont see how some others blame Todd and the Neo Nazis for killing Andrea. Jesse knew they were watching her and brock. They even hung a photo of them for Jesse to see. Had Jesse thought about Andrea and Brock before he broke out of his cuffs, he would've stayed put for their safety. Todd was even nice to Jesse. Who could say no to not one, but two different flavours of Ben & Jerry's ice cream? Was Jesse grateful? no, he broke out, ran, got caught and forced their hand in killing the girlfriend.

Todd didn't kill Andrea,
Jesse killed Andrea.

Wormius
09-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Yeah. Jesse's a jerk. They gave him two kinds of ice cream and he repays them by trying to escape...

TurnedTheCorner
09-26-2013, 07:37 PM
While Todd is indeed terrible and deserves a painful death, I can't think of anything he's done that Walt hasn't directly or indirectly done himself.

- Keep a man confined, but kindly bring him food? Same as the dude in the basement, season 1.
- Kill someone because it's just business? Got Jesse to kill Gale.
- Kill someone in the heat of the moment? Ran over the two guys to save Jesse
- Kill your business partner to take control of the meth empire? Got Hector to kill Gus.

In fact, I can't think of a time where Todd just stood by idly and let someone die, like Hank did with Jane (and to some extent Hank).

corporatejay
09-26-2013, 07:49 PM
While Todd is indeed terrible and deserves a painful death, I can't think of anything he's done that Walt hasn't directly or indirectly done himself.

- Keep a man confined, but kindly bring him food? Same as the dude in the basement, season 1.
- Kill someone because it's just business? Got Jesse to kill Gale.
- Kill someone in the heat of the moment? Ran over the two guys to save Jesse
- Kill your business partner to take control of the meth empire? Got Hector to kill Gus.

In fact, I can't think of a time where Todd just stood by idly and let someone die, like Hank did with Jane (and to some extent Hank).

The difference is that Todd doesn't distinguish between those in the game and innocents and that's where the line is drawn. Walter could have killed Brock, but didn't because he is an innocent, Todd shot that kid and andrea simply because they were inconvenient.

TurnedTheCorner
09-26-2013, 07:52 PM
That's a good point. It still doesn't make me feel too good about Walt though.

polak
09-26-2013, 08:00 PM
Also Walt got Jessie to kill Gale to save his own life. It wasn't "just business".

TurnedTheCorner
09-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Well sure - but from Gale's perspective, it was "nothing personal". He had no idea why he was being killed. He was just a pawn for Gus and Walt, just as Andrea was for Todd and crew.

Wormius
09-26-2013, 08:23 PM
Also Walt got Jessie to kill Gale to save his own life. It wasn't "just business".

Well, Jesse wasn't on great terms with Gus either at the time and Gale was a replacement for Jesse just as much as Walt. Killing Gale probably saved Jesse's life, too.

FlamesAddiction
09-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Well, Jesse wasn't on great terms with Gus either at the time and Gale was a replacement for Jesse just as much as Walt. Killing Gale probably saved Jesse's life, too.

Not to mention that Walt killing Gus (and using Brock to sway Jesse) also save Jesse's life.

I find the Nazis kind of funny in this show. We know they are bad, but they actually seem to care more about the people around them and in their inner circle more than a lot of the other characters in this show. They're the closest thing to a functional family in the whole Breaking Bad world.

Radio
09-26-2013, 11:07 PM
^^I disagree. In the beginning Gus didn't like Jesse cause he was a junky. Walter started to worry that Gale would make him expendable so he convinced Gus that Gale was a screw up and he needed Jesse.

Mike took a liking to Jesse when Gus told him to keep an eye on him. After a time Gus came to see what Walt seen in Jesse, loyalty. He started to become a trusted member of Gus's empire. Walter could see that and turned Jesse to save himself...not Jesse.

corporatejay
09-26-2013, 11:18 PM
That's a good point. It still doesn't make me feel too good about Walt though.

Nor should you. Walt is a scumbag. Jesse is truly Heisenberg's "son". He's a more refined and sophisticated Heisenberg. He is the one who should be feared.

TurnedTheCorner
09-26-2013, 11:57 PM
Do you mean Jesse or Todd, corporatejay?

Daradon
09-27-2013, 12:08 AM
The difference is that Todd doesn't distinguish between those in the game and innocents and that's where the line is drawn. Walter could have killed Brock, but didn't because he is an innocent, Todd shot that kid and andrea simply because they were inconvenient.

Not sure I agree with this assesment. Todd killed Andera to show Jesse he could get to those he loved, not cause she was inconvenient. I don't even really know what you mean by that.

Also Walter nearly did kill Brock. It was a calculated risk he took but I don't it was ever certain he wouldn't be killed by his actions, so Walt still harms innocents. Also I'm not sure what you mean by could have killed him, cause killing him outright wouldn't have worked for his plan. It's not like he had to choose between killing him or not and he took the high road.

All that said, there is something very cold blooded about Todd, even compared to Walt.

FlamesAddiction
09-27-2013, 05:52 AM
^^I disagree. In the beginning Gus didn't like Jesse cause he was a junky. Walter started to worry that Gale would make him expendable so he convinced Gus that Gale was a screw up and he needed Jesse.

Mike took a liking to Jesse when Gus told him to keep an eye on him. After a time Gus came to see what Walt seen in Jesse, loyalty. He started to become a trusted member of Gus's empire. Walter could see that and turned Jesse to save himself...not Jesse.

I don't really see it that way. To me, Gus was a user and equally or more deranged than Walt. With Jesse's history of relapse and motivation problems, I don't think he would have lasted long in Gus's world. Plus, his loyalty to Walt was wearing thin with Gus. Gus cut one of his loyal employee's neck with a box cutter just to make a point, I don't think he would have thought twice about disposing of Jesse once he had everything under control. Not to mention that a sensitive guy like Jesse would have never have bought in completely to Gus's savage world, as indicated by his disposition after seeing Gus torment Hector. He was already wondering what he was doing there.

Mike might have taken a liking to Jesse, but he was still a yes man to Gus and relied on Gus for his "nest egg".

KTrain
09-27-2013, 08:53 AM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2383490/CPPictures/bakingbad.jpg

King Hippo
09-27-2013, 09:43 AM
Yeah. Jesse's a jerk. They gave him two kinds of ice cream and he repays them by trying to escape...

not just any kind, but Ben & Jerry's ice cream! what were you thinking Jesse?

corporatejay
09-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Do you mean Jesse or Todd, corporatejay?

Todd, sorry.

Radio
09-27-2013, 01:01 PM
I don't really see it that way. To me, Gus was a user and equally or more deranged than Walt. With Jesse's history of relapse and motivation problems, I don't think he would have lasted long in Gus's world. Plus, his loyalty to Walt was wearing thin with Gus. Gus cut one of his loyal employee's neck with a box cutter just to make a point, I don't think he would have thought twice about disposing of Jesse once he had everything under control. Not to mention that a sensitive guy like Jesse would have never have bought in completely to Gus's savage world, as indicated by his disposition after seeing Gus torment Hector. He was already wondering what he was doing there.

Mike might have taken a liking to Jesse, but he was still a yes man to Gus and relied on Gus for his "nest egg".

Good points.

corporatejay
09-27-2013, 01:50 PM
The internet is amazing.

http://extramustard.si.com/2013/09/23/last-nights-breaking-bad-featured-a-classic-college-hockey-game-from-1998/

Here are the telling details. Wisconsin and Denver only played twice that year at the Dane County Coliseum (which the Badgers would leave next season), once on February 13, 1998 and again on the following day. In the second game, the score was 2-1 in Wisconsin’s favor in the second period, eliminating it as a possibility.
The Feb. 13 game, however, fits: Denver lead 2-1 in the second period and Rycroft had scored a goal, in keeping with the announcer’s earlier comment. Amazingly, the home team came back to score 6 goals in the third period, making it an all-time classic Badgers win:

Ark2
09-27-2013, 04:21 PM
SpI1gANmN-0

jd456
09-27-2013, 05:11 PM
The internet is amazing.

http://extramustard.si.com/2013/09/23/last-nights-breaking-bad-featured-a-classic-college-hockey-game-from-1998/

Looking at the boxscore it looks like former Flame Steven Reinprecht scored a goal during that comeback.

Daradon
09-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Anyone in CGY know of any bar sponsored or CP friendly house parties for the finale? My plans fell through. :/

There's gotta be something going on. I went to a Seinfeld finale bar party years ago.

CalgaryFan1988
09-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Jesse was on SNL tonight doing a couple skits. One a commercial for an electric meth pipe.

"If it's blue, you know it's good. Bitches".

Wormius
09-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Anyone in CGY know of any bar sponsored or CP friendly house parties for the finale? My plans fell through. :/

There's gotta be something going on. I went to a Seinfeld finale bar party years ago.

I would like to go if you hear of anything. Must be something, but I am wondering if it would be a fried chicken, pizza, or breakfast food based.

Edit: BTW, I have a box of Peanut Butter Cap'n Crunch to contribute.

Regulator75
09-29-2013, 12:25 PM
I'd never watch a TV finale at a bar or something.
Too many people, noise and other distractions.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-29-2013, 04:34 PM
I'd never watch a TV finale at a bar or something.
Too many people, noise and other distractions.

Yep. You'd have to pay me to pry me away from my couch tonight.

Fusebox
09-29-2013, 06:16 PM
Just praying that there is no power failure at my place tonight.

Acey
09-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Just praying that there is no power failure at my place tonight.

My friend's got multiple DVR's and VCR's going at his place... with one of the VCR's running on a generator as a fail safe. :eek:

Methanolic
09-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Can NOT! believe this is ending......

.......So tense. So ******** tense.

Regulator75
09-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Just because.

http://i.minus.com/iDCMGw829sCjW.gif

Brannigans Law
09-29-2013, 07:52 PM
shaking like a leaf as i watch this at some points.

Fusebox
09-29-2013, 07:56 PM
Great opening scene, but pretty boring since then.

DownInFlames
09-29-2013, 07:56 PM
I've never hated commercials more in my life.

Fusebox
09-29-2013, 08:08 PM
What a great finish.

Ashasx
09-29-2013, 08:14 PM
Wow.

What a series.

Yamer
09-29-2013, 08:14 PM
A-1 finale.

WilderPegasus
09-29-2013, 08:15 PM
I can't imagine how they could have done a better job.

jschick88
09-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Couldn't think of a better way to end it. What an amazing show.

DownInFlames
09-29-2013, 08:16 PM
That was all I could ask for in a finale. I'm still bummed that it's over though.

getbak
09-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Spoilered just in case someone accidentally clicks the thread before watching...

They went with the King Lear ending.

No fanfare, no metaphor, no brilliant final words. The culmination of the most influential work of dramatic literature is "He dies."

Well done, Mr Gilligan.

Brannigans Law
09-29-2013, 08:19 PM
simply perfect.

jschick88
09-29-2013, 08:19 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BVYG3fJCEAEufoF.jpg:large

corporatejay
09-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Perfect.

Brannigans Law
09-29-2013, 08:21 PM
I was so happy he finished more Walter than Heisenberg. When he was outside the house at the start I thought he was going to commit a double murder. I was shaking like a leaf.

Table 5
09-29-2013, 08:23 PM
That was a very satisfying episode. Everybody that needed to die, did, and everyone who didn't, didn't. Perfectly done.

Jbo
09-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Great show and satisfying ending.

Scene with Holly got me too.

Regulator75
09-29-2013, 08:24 PM
@ Table 5, My thoughts exactly.

WilderPegasus
09-29-2013, 08:26 PM
I was so happy he finished more Walter than Heisenberg. When he was outside the house at the start I thought he was going to commit a double murder. I was shaking like a leaf.

He wasn't the Walter we first met or Heisenberg. He was calm unlike Walter and self-aware unlike Heisenberg. The relaxed manner that he would surprise people in this episode was fantastic.

nfotiu
09-29-2013, 08:27 PM
Very well done.

You gotta love how Aaron Paul comes across as such a big fan of the show.

Brannigans Law
09-29-2013, 08:28 PM
Ya the scene with Holly was heart wrenching.

Wormius
09-29-2013, 08:28 PM
I can kind of see how Lydia was an easy target to take out, but I kind of wonder why though? Protection of his family? Not sure about that, since they were safe up until then..

Just seemed a bit unnecessary.

Yamer
09-29-2013, 08:29 PM
I can kind of see how Lydia was an easy target to take out, but I kind of wonder why though? Protection of his family? Not sure about that, since they were safe up until then..

She stole his baby blue.

Brannigans Law
09-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Lydia threatened walts family via the Nazis.

Curtains for her.

nfotiu
09-29-2013, 08:33 PM

She sent thugs to scare his wife. His family wouldn't be safe while she was alive.

WilderPegasus
09-29-2013, 08:34 PM

He probably thought that she was working with Jesse like he thought the Nazis were. Or maybe he just accused Jack of that so that he'd be able see Jesse one last time.

WilderPegasus
09-29-2013, 08:34 PM
She sent thugs to scare his wife. His family wouldn't be safe while she was alive.

Did he know that before he slipped her the ricin? Didn't he speak to Skyler after he did it?

Wormius
09-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Lydia threatened walts family via the Nazis.

Curtains for her.

True, but Walt didn't know that.. Unless Skyler told him off camera.

CalgaryFan1988
09-29-2013, 08:36 PM
I couldn't see them teaming up per se. I could see them putting their differences aside for 20 minutes until everyone else is dead.

Walt might not have saved Jesse's gf, but he didn't shoot her in the back of the head either.

So happy that Jesse got to kill Todd. That little smirk on Jesse's face when he found out that Lydia was dead.....and his happiness when he knew he was finally free.

Perfectly done episode for sure.

Oh, and Walt never got caught ;)

CalgaryFan1988
09-29-2013, 08:38 PM

Todd and the guys work for her, I'm sure Walt could put two and two together.

Mike F
09-29-2013, 08:41 PM
I still don't like that so much of the final episode was motivated by Walt vs the neo-nazis, who appeared late. The scenes with Walt and Skyler were a satisfying conclusion to their relationship, but after everything they went through, after everything Walt put Jesse through, their brief time together, and parting, just didn't do it for me. It was a footnote to the episode when I thought it should be the focus.

And holy Lost homage with the final pull out from above the now-deceased Walt/Jack

Ashasx
09-29-2013, 08:43 PM
I think Walt's gonna be the hero and save everybody.

Do you guys remember that episode of the Simpsons ("Bart's Comet") when Homer halfheartedly predicted that the comet heading towards Springfield would burn up in the atmosphere?

...I'm scared.

getbak
09-29-2013, 08:46 PM
She said that the people broke into the house and threatened the kids if she said anything about the woman who visited the car wash.

WilderPegasus
09-29-2013, 08:48 PM
How awesome was it that Walt was standing right there when Marie called Skyler to let her know Walt was back in town and we didn't know it?

Wormius
09-29-2013, 08:50 PM
She said that the people broke into the house and threatened the kids if she said anything about the woman who visited the car wash.

Ah.. yeah. I forgot that.

Table 5
09-29-2013, 08:51 PM
Yeah, that beam deserves an Emmy.

Ashasx
09-29-2013, 08:51 PM
My favorite scene was Walt watching Junior coming back from school through the windows of the house. That really got me.

getbak
09-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Yeah, that beam deserves an Emmy.
Better performance than anyone in the Dexter finale.

WilderPegasus
09-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Anna Gunn looks really different now compared to Skyler. She's lost a lot of weight and maybe she's had some plastic surgery.

CalgaryFan1988
09-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Anna Gunn looks really different now compared to Skyler. She's lost a lot of weight and maybe she's had some plastic surgery.

She reminds me a lot of Courtney Love for some reason.........

Fire
09-29-2013, 09:01 PM
Hey Dexter, that is how you do an ending.

corporatejay
09-29-2013, 09:03 PM
Hey Dexter, that is how you do an ending.

Can't expect AAA Angus from ground beef.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-29-2013, 09:05 PM
Liked the ending, didn't love it. It all wrapped up nicely but couldn't help but feel like it lacked a certain edge that we've all come to love throughout the series.

Finale 7/10
Season 5 part 2 9/10

Show from start to finish 9/10

Ashasx
09-29-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm surprised that I'm not as upset after watching the episode. I mean, it sucks that there won't be a new episode ever again, but the show was as perfect as it gets. The entire series never overstepped its boundaries. Nothing was ever too drawn out just to add an extra couple money grabbing seasons.

When I started watching the series last spring, I couldn't stop. I watched the 4 seasons in about a week. But now I have the resolution I needed.

The last episode of Breaking Bad, where Walt does all the right things.

RedMileDJ
09-29-2013, 09:12 PM
8FnrggXaY2k

Mike F
09-29-2013, 09:13 PM
to throw in a positive, I did love them giving Badger & Skinny Pete a spot in the finale as the two best mercenaries I the west.

jydk
09-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Liked the ending, didn't love it. It all wrapped up nicely but couldn't help but feel like it lacked a certain edge that we've all come to love throughout the series.

Finale 7/10
Season 5 part 2 9/10

I agree with you that the felina lacked a certain Breaking Bad edge, but from start to finish 9/10?!?!? I mean.....how high of standards do you have? You must be one hell of a kvetch. Either that, or there are a lot of other shows I need to watch.

WilderPegasus
09-29-2013, 09:24 PM
I agree with you that the felina lacked a certain Breaking Bad edge, but from start to finish 9/10?!?!? I mean.....how high of standards do you have? You must be one hell of a kvetch. Either that, or there are a lot of other shows I need to watch.

Apparently Breaking Bad was no True Blood.

Mccree
09-29-2013, 09:26 PM

I think she had an illness that caused the weight gain.

FlamesAddiction
09-29-2013, 09:32 PM
I liked it enough. They kept it pretty focused and didn't over do it.

I wasn't 100% sold on the direction of the last season, or some of the ways they forced the plot forward; but the finale seemed very clean and was satisfying.

On one hand, I would have liked an epilogue scene or two, but given the time frame and the amount ground to cover, they really couldn't do too much. My bigger fear was that they would tackle too many things and they didn't. It's good to leave some things up to the imagination.

corporatejay
09-29-2013, 09:33 PM

Finale 7/10
Season 5 part 2 9/10

What did you expect? Rather than rush all the loose ends it slowly tied them up over the last four episodes and this was just the inevitable conclusion. Of course the suspense is gone, the show is over.

corporatejay
09-29-2013, 09:34 PM
I liked it enough. They kept it pretty focused and didn't over do it.

I wasn't 100% sold on the direction of the last season, or some of the ways they forced the plot forward; but the finale seemed very clean and was satisfying.

On one hand, I would have liked an epilogue scene or two, but given the time frame and the amount ground to cover, they really couldn't do too much. My bigger fear was that they would tackle too many things and they didn't. It's good to leave some things up to the imagination.

Interesting. What would you have liked in an epilogue?

TurnedTheCorner
09-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Was there a scene at the end of the credits? I think I missed it when I fast forwarded after Gilligan's name was on screen.

corporatejay
09-29-2013, 09:53 PM
Just a "Thank You" from AMC with the heisenberg hat.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-29-2013, 10:12 PM
What did you expect? Rather than rush all the loose ends it slowly tied them up over the last four episodes and this was just the inevitable conclusion. Of course the suspense is gone, the show is over.

How many "holy crap" moments did this show have over its five season run? It had tons. I didn't think there really was one tonight. It was good, not great, in my opinion of course.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-29-2013, 10:13 PM

9/10.....is that not pretty damn good? Jesus.

WilderPegasus
09-29-2013, 10:32 PM
One thing I noticed when watching the replay and had thought about earlier is how the Walt in the finale is more like Mike than Heisenberg or the chemistry teacher/car washer he was. He's got a weariness to him and he's consigned to his fate in a way that he never was before. When Walt tells Elliott, "if we're going to go that way, you're going to need a bigger knife" you can just picture that line coming out of Mike's mouth.

Mike F
09-29-2013, 10:43 PM
How many "holy crap" moments did this show have over its five season run? It had tons. I didn't think they're really was one tonight. It was good, not great, in my opinion of course.

I wanted the series to end on a great note. Ozymandias, 2 episiodes ago, was Breaking Bad hitting on all cylinders. My jaw dropped in the first scene, and didn't close again. The last two episodes weren't bad, but they didn't come close to hitting that level.

They really should have done the last 3 in a different order - have Walt deal with the neo-nazis, then build to a showdown with Walt, Skyler, Hank, and Jesse.

Acey
09-29-2013, 10:56 PM
I didn't mind it Ozymandias can be everybody's submission episode and they'll sweep the Emmy's. But I thought this was the perfect way to end it.

Igottago
09-29-2013, 10:57 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thought the end stayed true to what breaking bad was, they didn't overreach. Walter White's story ends in a very Walter white way. It was great.

Acey
09-29-2013, 10:59 PM
A funny review of the Breaking Bad pilot from back in 2008.

“Breaking Bad” is an uneven show... Creator and executive producer Vince Gilligan has crafted a show that veers into black comedy over the course of the first three episodes, one that is bloody, unpleasant and tedious. AMC anticipates another hit. Somebody’s gotten high on some bad dope. Just say no to “Breaking Bad.”

http://bostonherald.com/entertainment/television/television_reviews/2008/01/dope_slap_teacher_turns_drug_dealer_amc_black

JeanLucPicard
09-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Putting is briefly, that was a very very satisfying ending.

trackercowe
09-29-2013, 11:03 PM
A truly amazing, satisfying finalie. I can't really think of anything that tops it since it's so hard to go out on a high note. I even liked to more than the last episode of The Wire, even though I loved how the Marlo storyline played out at the end.

I for one don't need any mind blowing, or out of left field junk in series finalie's, as they usually add nothing more to the show other than to shock the viewer.

Loved pretty much every minute of it, and can't think of one negative aspect of the episode. The show went out on a higher note than when it began, which you rarely see in long running series.

Kudos to Gilligan, Cranston, Paul, and everyone else who worked on the episode. What a great ride it was.

Erick Estrada
09-29-2013, 11:05 PM
I thought the finale was satisfying. Wrapped things up as much as you can in a single episode. I feel people are overly critical due to expectations that are simply impossibly too high as we all knew Walt would die and it was just a matter of if Jessie would join him or not. Not sure how much edge you could put into a final episode when it has been apparent all season what the outcome would be.

Flash Walken
09-29-2013, 11:08 PM
I started to get pissed when they teased that Walt would get away. Glad that in the end, he got his. Enjoyed the scene where jesse gave him ultimate feck you when Walt asks to die. Very, very, happy that they didn't have Jesse kill Walt. Jesse is free and clear. Even in death, in the lab, he helps Jesse escape.

Glad Lydia and those nazi FECKS got it in the end too. I dislike when purveyors of death and misery escape their justice, and this certainly episode delivered smiles on that front.

trackercowe
09-29-2013, 11:10 PM
I wonder how difficult it would be to fill a small packet of that sugar substitute with ricin without someone noticing. I didn't see the switch even though like EE said you knew it was coming once he sat down. Although if you're looking for "mind blowing" moments Walt showing up at random during the episode was pretty shocking (especially the Skyler scene as others noted).

It's a shame Jesse is flat broke after all of this, but he never seemed happy about having all that money anyway. I would hope he leaves his past behind and takes care of Brock now that he's got no one after him.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-29-2013, 11:15 PM
A truly amazing, satisfying finalie. I can't really think of anything that tops it since it's so hard to go out on a high note. I even liked to more than the last episode of The Wire, even though I loved how the Marlo storyline played out at the end.

I for one don't need any mind blowing, or out of left field junk in series finalie's, as they usually add nothing more to the show other than to shock the viewer.

Loved pretty much every minute of it, and can't think of one negative aspect of the episode. The show went out on a higher note than when it began, which you rarely see in long running series.

Kudos to Gilligan, Cranston, Paul, and everyone else who worked on the episode. What a great ride it was.

To me, Six Feet Under had the best finale ever and I don't think I'll ever change my mind on that. Say what you want about the show, but I've never seen a more fitting ending and I so did not see what that ending coming. It was spectacular.

And what's wrong with shocking the viewer in a finale? I mean, everything in Breaking Bad's finale was wrapped up wonderfully, but all of it was relatively predictable. The only thing I didn't see coming was how he handled the Gretchen/Elliot thing, which was fantastic.

WilderPegasus
09-29-2013, 11:17 PM
I started to get pissed when they teased that Walt would get away. Glad that in the end, he got his. Enjoyed the scene where jesse gave him ultimate feck you when Walt asks to die. Very, very, happy that they didn't have Jesse kill Walt. Jesse is free and clear. Even in death, in the lab, he helps Jesse escape.

Glad Lydia and those nazi FECKS got it in the end too. I dislike when purveyors of death and misery escape their justice, and this certainly episode delivered smiles on that front.

I don't think they ever teased Walt would get away. He made it clear throughout the episode that this was it for him. When he told Skyler he had no money left to give him it was clear that he wasn't planning to escape. How could he with no money left? He had already given up in the bar in New Hampshire only to figure out how to tie up his loose ends when he saw Gretchen and Elliott on tv. The only question was whether he would die or get caught.

JeanLucPicard
09-29-2013, 11:25 PM
I wonder if Jesse will become a lumberjack....Or, a carpenter too; nice smooth wooden boxes bitches.

getbak
09-29-2013, 11:28 PM
I wonder how difficult it would be to fill a small packet of that sugar substitute with ricin without someone noticing. I didn't see the switch even though like EE said you knew it was coming once he sat down.
He knew Lydia would be meeting Todd in that diner at that time, and sitting at that table because he had met with her every week at the same time in the same place during the time he was cooking for her after Gus died.

He also knew she always orders the same tea and adds Stevia to it. All he needed to do was buy some packets of Stevia when he was buying the garage door opener and other supplies, plus an X-acto knife and a glue stick. Then, he just needed to show up a little early and make sure the Stevia packet was at the table where he knew she'd sit down.

Jiggy_12
09-29-2013, 11:30 PM
I really liked how when Uncle Jack was trying to tell Walt where the money was, he shut him up with a bullet to the head.

Overall I really liked the finale. Not a jaw dropping episode like Ozymandias as others have already mentioned, but thats okay...it didnt need to be.

TurnedTheCorner
09-29-2013, 11:31 PM
I wonder if Jesse will become a lumberjack....Or, a carpenter too; nice smooth wooden boxes bitches.

Alaska style!

WilderPegasus
09-29-2013, 11:31 PM
He knew Lydia would be meeting Todd in that diner at that time, and sitting at that table because he had met with her every week at the same time in the same place during the time he was cooking for her after Gus died.

She wasn't sitting at the table she normally did though. Normally she sat by the window and this time she was in the middle of the room. Or maybe she just sat by the window when she'd meet someone for the first time - Mike, Walt, Todd.

Wormius
09-29-2013, 11:32 PM
I wonder how difficult it would be to fill a small packet of that sugar substitute with ricin without someone noticing. I didn't see the switch even though like EE said you knew it was coming once he sat down. Although if you're looking for "mind blowing" moments Walt showing up at random during the episode was pretty shocking (especially the Skyler scene as others noted).

It's a shame Jesse is flat broke after all of this, but he never seemed happy about having all that money anyway. I would hope he leaves his past behind and takes care of Brock now that he's got no one after him.

I don't want to Google ricin poisoning again (thanks NSA), but I thought there was a way to counteract it. Maybe not, but I didn't think it was a good idea to tell Lydia anyway what she had. She could potentially get herself to a hospital and then have the Czechs take care of Walter's family for revenge.

I am not sure if it's that hard to switch out the packet. Walt had been observing them for a few weeks, I thought and it wouldn't be that hard to take a packet home, fill it up, and put it in with the rest of the packets surreptitiously before they arrived at their usual table.

Would Jesse really get off scott free though? I have to assume that the DEA will still search the whole compound/camp and would still collect evidence despite of having Walter White at the scene.

V
09-29-2013, 11:33 PM
Yeah, not every episode needs to be a mind-blowing shocker. This wrapped up everything beautifully. Brining in Badger and Skinny Pete, Gretchen and what-his-name, the confession that he did what he did for his own ego, the stare down with Jesse, both of his kids oblivious of his last interactions with them.

Man, I didn't know what I wanted coming into the episode, but I was thoroughly happy with what they gave me. That was fantastic.

Caged Great
09-29-2013, 11:35 PM
That was an awesome ending.

polak
09-29-2013, 11:37 PM
Loved the ending. Covered all the bases.

Great work. Going to miss it.

V
09-29-2013, 11:37 PM
She wasn't sitting at the table she normally did though. Normally she sat by the window and this time she was in the middle of the room. Or maybe she just sat by the window when she'd meet someone for the first time - Mike, Walt, Todd.

Take another look. She was at her normal spot beside the window.

Also, when she sits down you can see Walt already sitting at another table. He put the packet in before she got there.

Brannigans Law
09-29-2013, 11:40 PM
cant believe people are nitpicking. one of the greatest, if not the best, tv show ever just gave us a very satisfying ending that didnt go all "sopranos"on us.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-29-2013, 11:50 PM
cant believe people are nitpicking. one of the greatest, if not the best, tv show ever just gave us a very satisfying ending that didnt go all "sopranos"on us.

Not nit picking, just didn't have the same "that was amazing" view that some do. I liked the finale, I really did. I guess my ridiculously high expectations weren't completely met. Was expecting just a little bit more and just a little more of a wow factor. Everything was wrapped up nicely and we got great closure and that can't be debated.

You want a contrarian view of the show, start reading thru Jason Whitlock's (ESPN) twitter feed from the last couple of weeks. Oh man, that guy is just a troll.

TurnedTheCorner
09-29-2013, 11:54 PM
http://i.imgur.com/XU4BkLF.png

trackercowe
09-29-2013, 11:59 PM
To the people that are complaining about Jack and the Nazi gang being a disappointing final enemies, don't forget The Sopranos sort of did the same thing. Everyone believed Tony would be taking on Johnny Jack and his New Jersey cohorts, but instead he died of cancer and we're treated to Sack's former soldier taking over late in the series and "facing off" against Tony and his crew in the end. Phil Leotardo didn't appear until the fifth season, and wasn't really a prominent character until he stepped up after Johnny's death. So really it's very similar in terms of Tony and Walt both facing off against "smaller" foes than some may have expected.

Pizza
09-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Good finale, but way too predictable in how they tied everything up. If they wanted to make it less predictable, they shouldnt have shown that scene where walter was testing out the car battery motor in the desert.

I also found it kinda dumb that the Neo Nazis did a pat down and shirt lift but didnt even bother to check the trunk of his car.

Would've loved if it ended with Walter brought in a sack of crystalized fulminated mercury, just like he did with Tuco, only this time, he threw down the whole bag of it

nik-
09-30-2013, 12:11 AM
Good finale, but way too predictable in how they tied everything up. If they wanted to make it less predictable, they shouldnt have shown that scene where walter was testing out the car battery motor in the desert.

I also found it kinda dumb that the Neo Nazis did a pat down and shirt lift but didnt even bother to check the trunk of his car.

Would've loved if it ended with Walter brought in a sack of crystalized fulminated mercury, just like he did with Tuco, only this time, he threw down the whole bag of it

I don't think predictable is a concern in the last twenty minutes of the show, we all knew what was coming, they knew we all knew, it just needed to be satisfying. I predicted he would come back to save Jesse, but it appeared that that was a last second change of mind when he saw him as a prisoner. Same with Lydia and the ricin, she got herself killed.

Satisfying overall, and all you can ask for after a run of that much success is that they stick the landing, and they totally did.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-30-2013, 12:13 AM
To the people that are complaining about Jack and the Nazi gang being a disappointing final enemies, don't forget The Sopranos sort of did the same thing. Everyone believed Tony would be taking on Johnny Jack and his New Jersey cohorts, but instead he died of cancer and we're treated to Sack's former soldier taking over late in the series and "facing off" against Tony and his crew in the end. Phil Leotardo didn't appear until the fifth season, and wasn't really a prominent character until he stepped up after Johnny's death. So really it's very similar in terms of Tony and Walt both facing off against "smaller" foes than some may have expected.

Tony's biggest battle in that final season was never the New York crew. It was always with himself first, then his at home family, then his mob family. The show started that way and it ended that way.

smoothpops
09-30-2013, 12:21 AM
Great finale!! I did have 2 problems with it; amc's promo for the finale, "all that's bad must end" was totally a spoiler, and we knew what was coming. The other issue i had, because i'd been looking forward to this epidode since last sunday, this episode felt like it ran 15 minutes. When jesse drove off, i thought to myself "what are they gonna do for the rest of the episode? There's still 30 mins left!"
There's really no other way it could've ended, and the people that actually are complainingust have got too into the show and started smoking the blue.

Cali Panthers Fan
09-30-2013, 12:53 AM
Great finale, really satisfying, especially seeing Jesse end Todd. Felt so good for him.

My favourite scene however was between Walt and Skyler. Watching them say goodbye was touching, but more-so when he finally admitted it was for him and not to help his family. I had been saying what his motivation was for a looong time, to which my wife disagreed and told me that it was just because he was evil. Well we all know he wasn't a saint, but the motivation really boiled down to the fact it was the first time he felt alive since he was much much younger.

Oh, and I called the standoff between Walt and Jesse with everyone dead around them. However, I thought it would fade to black right then instead of wrapping it up.

I also hope all the posters complaining about wrapping things up so concisely know that sarcasm doesn't translate in the written form.

uBVD4PjEUd0

Jacks
09-30-2013, 12:58 AM
Great finale, I really wish Jesse got what was coming to him though.

I hated the Sopranos ending at first until I saw this.
http://masterofsopranos.wordpress.com/the-sopranos-definitive-explanation-of-the-end/
I'm now convinced that the series ended from Tony's point of view when he died.

djsFlames
09-30-2013, 03:18 AM
It wasn't an ending where you were like: "OMFG. Did that just happen?"

Nope. Sirs, it was not.

But it was an ending where as a fan, you thought:

"Yes."

"Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. My god, that was perfect."

And my friends, that ending is a thousand times better than a show trying to pull some cheap thrill or trick that is unfaithful to the entire story arc in its final minutes.

Solid. A+++ :whaa::D

djsFlames
09-30-2013, 03:28 AM
I wanted the series to end on a great note. Ozymandias, 2 episiodes ago, was Breaking Bad hitting on all cylinders. My jaw dropped in the first scene, and didn't close again. The last two episodes weren't bad, but they didn't come close to hitting that level.

They really should have done the last 3 in a different order - have Walt deal with the neo-nazis, then build to a showdown with Walt, Skyler, Hank, and Jesse.

Really? You're talking about what they SHOULD'VE done?! :bag: For shame.

Both Ozymandias and the final wrap up episodes were incredibly satisfying in two totally different ways.

Ozymandias showed the fans their worst fears. Granite State and Felina gave them what they most desired (for the characters).

megatron
09-30-2013, 04:55 AM
Just watched the finale (Felina) here in Sydney and it was really good.

I think the show set my expectations too high as well, because 'To'hajiilee' and 'Ozymandias' were jaw-dropping episodes -- basically the best hours of TV I've ever seen. Last week was a slower episode but still great.

I was expecting another thrilling 55 minutes, which isn't fair because we all knew what was going to happen -- Walt was going to exact his revenge, Jesse was going to live and Walt was going to die somehow. I'm glad they didn't deviate from this and didn't try to do too much.

When Jesse drove off, I was wondering what Walt was going to do -- I thought there was still 20 more minutes to go. I'm a bit sad it's all over. All in all though, I'm still satisfied with the way they ended it.

All Hail the King. Remember My Name.

Best. Show. Ever.

nfotiu
09-30-2013, 05:41 AM
Really? You're talking about what they SHOULD'VE done?! :bag: For shame.

Both Ozymandias and the final wrap up episodes were incredibly satisfying in two totally different ways.

Ozymandias showed the fans their worst fears. Granite State and Felina gave them what they most desired (for the characters).

I think it was pretty obvious when watching Ozymandias, that it was the climax of the final season. I found it very satisfying to structure it that way, and to have the final 2 episodes deal with the consequences of that climax, and resolving the remaining conflicts. Walt was able to redeem himself somewhat in the ending both by freeing Jesse and avenging Hank's death. I found the last 3 episodes to be a perfect ending when taken as a whole.

Red
09-30-2013, 06:38 AM
It was an ending most people wanted and expected. That's why I think it fell short. There was no twist or revelation of any sort. It ended like an action movie would end. So cliche with him dying in the lab too. At least get Walt to jump in to one of those special barrels where they made people disappear. That way he would also beat the DEA, they would never find him.

Lazy writing? Probably unfair to the writers. Spectacular? Definitely not.

Good show overall, but very overrated. Very slow start, it really didn't get the hype till season 5. It had great moments in the middle, with Gus, Tuco, Mike and the Mexicans. Hank was great too, killed off to abruptly. Great story line was lost there.

What happened to Saul's bodyguard? I missed something or did they not show it?

Ark2
09-30-2013, 06:44 AM
For some reason, I can't help but think that Lydia still has a part to play in the last 2 episodes. I think the Ricin is for her as Walt had the intention of poisoning her with it in the Season 5, Part I finale and this show loves to foreshadow things like that.

Not one to pat myself on the back, but I totally called this one.

Erick Estrada
09-30-2013, 07:08 AM
It was an ending most people wanted and expected. That's why I think it fell short. There was no twist or revelation of any sort. It ended like an action movie would end. So cliche with him dying in the lab too. At least get Walt to jump in to one of those special barrels where they made people disappear. That way he would also beat the DEA, they would never find him.

Lazy writing? Probably unfair to the writers. Spectacular? Definitely not.

Good show overall, but very overrated. Very slow start, it really didn't get the hype till season 5. It had great moments in the middle, with Gus, Tuco, Mike and the Mexicans. Hank was great too, killed off to abruptly. Great story line was lost there.

What happened to Saul's bodyguard? I missed something or did they not show it?

I don't think anything happened to Saul's bodyguard but I don't believe that was a loose end that needed to be tied up.

I believe the show overall has been a little overrated by it's really hardcore fans as while it's been very good and set a high standard I found some of the seasons had a lot of slow points but for the most part it never got corny like Dexter did for instance and was consistently pretty solid. Not the best show ever but it's in the conversation.

I guess I can make one nitpick in that when WW drives to the gate the guy checks the back seat but it never dawned on him to check the trunk? That's the first place I would have looked to ensure he didn't have an accomplice hiding there or explosives. Then the whole gun on a pivot thing was a little far fetched as it was lined up perfectly with the building and these guys ran a pretty good operation so I just don't see them letting him park the car right in front of the house like that without checking the trunk. It didn't ruin the episode or anything but more realistic would have been for WW to just blow the car and house up.

Regulator75
09-30-2013, 07:20 AM
http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/16-todd.gif

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/18-jesse2.gif

Red
09-30-2013, 07:32 AM
I don't think anything happened to Saul's bodyguard but I don't believe that was a loose end that needed to be tied up.

I believe the show overall has been a little overrated by it's really hardcore fans as while it's been very good and set a high standard I found some of the seasons had a lot of slow points but for the most part it never got corny like Dexter did for instance and was consistently pretty solid. Not the best show ever but it's in the conversation.

I guess I can make one nitpick in that when WW drives to the gate the guy checks the back seat but it never dawned on him to check the trunk? That's the first place I would have looked to ensure he didn't have an accomplice hiding there or explosives. Then the whole gun on a pivot thing was a little far fetched as it was lined up perfectly with the building and these guys ran a pretty good operation so I just don't see them letting him park the car right in front of the house like that without checking the trunk. It didn't ruin the episode or anything but more realistic would have been for WW to just blow the car and house up.

The gun thing was like watching a Transporter movie. Same with Jack getting so upset for being called a lier. Borderline cheesy.

I guess in the end I didn't mind what happened, but how it happened. Not creative at all. Would have preferred Walt offing everyone by ways of some neat chemistry rather than a big gun on a garage opener.

Stranger
09-30-2013, 07:47 AM
Great ending.

I wish they showed Huell still sitting waiting in his house at the end of the credits.

Regulator75
09-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Can't wait for Mythbusters to re-do the M-60 scene...

Erick Estrada
09-30-2013, 08:01 AM
I guess my only disappointment last night was to see Aaron Paul sell out to do that Need for Speed movie which is probably going to be pretty awful like every other video game to movie adaptation.

edn88
09-30-2013, 08:10 AM
I guess my only disappointment last night was to see Aaron Paul sell out to do that Need for Speed movie which is probably going to be pretty awful like every other video game to movie adaptation.

I just assumed Need for Speed was the Sequal to Breaking Bad - Jessie speeding off in a car...

Caged Great
09-30-2013, 08:30 AM

Well, how is he going to pay the bills now that he's out of the meth business?

FlamesAddiction
09-30-2013, 08:37 AM

But, those types of movies seem to make money.

Most actors have a very short window to really capitalize, so it's hard to blame him.

Table 5
09-30-2013, 08:41 AM
Not nit picking, just didn't have the same "that was amazing" view that some do. I liked the finale, I really did. I guess my ridiculously high expectations weren't completely met. Was expecting just a little bit more and just a little more of a wow factor. Everything was wrapped up nicely and we got great closure and that can't be debated.

The thing is that if you want a wow factor episode, you're going to need some sort of cliff-hanger, and that typically needs multiple episodes to resolve. This was a series finale, no a season finale, there was no chance to resolve anything else and this wasn't the time to throw in curveballs.

And I'm really really glad they didn't go with that stupid "you the viewer should decide what happens next" strategy that a lot of shows do. They resolved everything in a satisfying way and left it that.

Regulator75
09-30-2013, 08:43 AM
http://i.imgur.com/feM341x.jpg

Hessen
09-30-2013, 08:51 AM
I personally loved the end scene. Walt is smiling looking around the lab, remembering who he was and his true love for science.

nfotiu
09-30-2013, 08:55 AM

Good for him, I say. He deserves to cash in for his solid work on this series.

Igottago
09-30-2013, 09:01 AM
The finale's predictability made it unpredictable. I was wondering if Lydia's tea actually had the ricin when they zoomed in on it, or were they just making us think that. Would Walt actually get his keys back to start the gun? Seemed too obvious, but he got them. Almost a continuation of what happened in the opening where he said "just get me there, I'll do the rest" and the keys drop down from the visor in the car. The stars aligned for him, just as they have throughout most of the series. I give the finale huge points for sticking with the breaking bad formula, if there is one. They didn't try to make some massive statement with a twist ending. It fit perfectly with what the show is and has been all along.

Regulator75
09-30-2013, 09:06 AM
I personally loved the end scene. Walt is smiling looking around the lab, remembering who he was and his true love for science.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MAOix6BiYCU/UkjfTbdH7LI/AAAAAAAAwoY/5iXRMazGznk/s1600/0.gif

Table 5
09-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Btw, how perfectly fitting was that song at the end? Badfinger's "Baby Blue". I bet that brought a a sweet injection of visitors to their wiki/youtube pages.

C53QAuOoSgc

Yamer
09-30-2013, 09:41 AM

I was thinking that he was reminiscing on the one time he was powerful and in control...which, granted, was born out of his love and respect for chemistry/science.

gargamel
09-30-2013, 09:44 AM

If they were going for the surprise, then you're right, but everything else in the episode would have been much less powerful if we hadn't known that Walter was planning to die in a spray of machine gun bullets.

I thought it was a great ending.

Red
09-30-2013, 09:51 AM
If they were going for the surprise, then you're right, but everything else in the episode would have been much less powerful if we hadn't known that Walter was planning to die in a spray of machine gun bullets.

I thought it was a great ending.

Walt was killed by a stray bullet. He wasn't planning it.

jroc
09-30-2013, 09:58 AM

Given that he was going in 1 vs ~6... I'm sure he had planned on dying

FlamesAddiction
09-30-2013, 10:03 AM

Yeah, I kind of interpreted it as him going on a suicide mission and it wasn't until Jesse was presented that the plan changed.

As much harm Walt brought to Jesse, he still wanted to protect him.

There is still a lot of aftermath to be sorted out. Jesse can never just go back into society. The police are bound to find the confession tape that he made with Hank, and while it does show that he was remorseful, it wouldn't exonerate him. With no money, he can't exactly just disappear and live happily... he is still sort of hooped. Of course, the show is over, so we need to just use our imaginations.

Red
09-30-2013, 10:04 AM

He was planning on killing everyone there and got killed accidentally. He was prepared to die, but didn't actually plan on it. If so, why not blow the damn thing up?

Also, what if that bullet didnt hit him?

gargamel
09-30-2013, 10:05 AM

I don't think that he was planning to hit the floor before pressing the button, but once Jesse showed up, he had to tackle him and stay on top of him to protect him from the bullets. There's no way that Walter had any intention of surviving that confrontation.

VANFLAMESFAN
09-30-2013, 10:06 AM
Buddy just told me something that I couldn't answer.

Jack and his crew had a pretty big prison network. Would they not try to get at Skyler and Walt Jr at all costs after Walt killed them?

Ark2
09-30-2013, 10:09 AM
So over the course of the show, how many people did Walt directly kill? I count 13.

Season 1: Emilio and Crazy 8
Season 2: No one
Season 3: Drug Dealer 1 and Drug Dealer 2
Season 4: Henchman 1 and Henchman 2
Season 5, Part I: Mike
Season 5, Part II: Lydia, 5 Nazis

Any that I missed?

Red
09-30-2013, 10:12 AM
I don't think that he was planning to hit the floor before pressing the button, but once Jesse showed up, he had to tackle him and stay on top of him to protect him from the bullets. There's no way that Walter had any intention of surviving that confrontation.

That's kind of dumb then. If you want everyone dead in a small shack, you don't mount a machine gun in your truck and operate it with a garage opener. You load up the trunk with TNT or something and blow it all up.

I think he had the intent to kill everyone there, but himself. Not sure what would come after though, somewhat confusing ending. Kind of like "No country for old men" end with the car crash.

WilderPegasus
09-30-2013, 10:15 AM

With the self-awareness Walt showed in the finale I think he knew that Jesse was right to do what he did. Walt knew that Jesse was enslaved and not a partner with the Nazis. He brought up the partner business with Jack because he knew Jack would be offended enough to prove him wrong.

The finale was all about Walt sacrificing everything he had to do right for those that he cared about. Setting up trust funds for his kids. Giving Skyler a chip to bargain with the DEA. Keeping his family safe from Lydia and her compulsive nature to tie up loose ends. Avenging Hank and Steve's deaths while enabling them to have a proper burial. Freeing Jesse and giving him the opportunity to get his revenge on Walt.

Regulator75
09-30-2013, 10:17 AM
So over the course of the show, how many people did Walt directly kill? I count 13.

Season 1: Emilio and Crazy 8
Season 2: No one
Season 3: Drug Dealer 1 and Drug Dealer 2
Season 4: Henchman 1 and Henchman 2
Season 5, Part I: Mike
Season 5, Part II: Lydia, 5 Nazis

Any that I missed?

The Pipe bomb should count.

So, Hector, Gus and thug Tyrus.

WilderPegasus
09-30-2013, 10:19 AM
That's kind of dumb then. If you want everyone dead in a small shack, you don't mount a machine gun in your truck and operate it with a garage opener. You load up the trunk with TNT or something and blow it all up.

I think he had the intent to kill everyone there, but himself. Not sure what would come after though, somewhat confusing ending.

He didn't want to kill Jesse.

I don't see how anyone could be confused by the ending. It was as straight forward as you could get. Walt had already alluded to it being the end for him regardless of what happened in the showdown with the Nazis during his conversation with Skyler. He knew he was either dead or going to prison where he'd die soon from cancer.

Igottago
09-30-2013, 10:24 AM

I think he had the intent to kill everyone there, but himself. Not sure what would come after though, somewhat confusing ending. Kind of like "No country for old men" end with the car crash.

Sorry, but your ending would've sucked. If he just went and blown everything up, including himself, it would've been the most simplistic generic ending in the history of television. There wouldn't have been a chance to see Jessie get revenge on Todd, the face to face between Walt and Jessie, the execution of Jack at the hands of Heisenberg. You wouldn't have had any questions about Walt's attempt for redemption, or his opportunity to do right by Jessie. It just would've been a big explosion and a terrible ending to the series.

More effective at killing his enemies? Maybe. Good TV? No way.

fredr123
09-30-2013, 10:26 AM
I thought the ending was about as happy as you could get in Breaking Bad and put too neat a bow on a bunch of loose ends. Upon further reflection, the ending isn't as happy as I initially thought.

Flynn is going to be reeling from all of this. Regardless of whether Elliott and Gretchen follow through with Walt's demands, we don't know if Flynn will accept the money and help out his family or not.

Skyler is still hooped. I'm skeptical the location of two dead DEA agents will be sufficient to get her immunity from the Heisenberg investigation. She's more than a little culpable for the money laundering at the car wash and there is still her involvement with Beneke and the IRS.

Marie lost her husband and her family. Maybe she can reconcile with the latter, but Hank is gone.

Jesse is broke, financially and mentally. How that guy could possibly reintegrate into society is beyond me. He might want to try and help Brock, but what's he going to do? When the police search the Nazi compound they will probably find Jesse's confession tape and they will be looking for him. He's doomed to end up in jail eventually.

Walt could have made things a bit better had he survived the shootout and took full responsibility for everything with the police. Only then might he have saved Sklyer and Jesse from further legal trouble.

Red
09-30-2013, 10:27 AM
He didn't want to kill Jesse.

I don't see how anyone could be confused by the ending. It was as straight forward as you could get. Walt had already alluded to it being the end for him regardless of what happened in the showdown with the Nazis during his conversation with Skyler. He knew he was either dead or going to prison where he'd die soon from cancer.

If he wanted to die, then blow it all up. Seriously, the gun scene was so "Rambo" and un-realistic.
He wanted Jessie dead. Nothing changed in the last few episodes. Walt didn't know that Jessie was still alive until Badger told him about the blue.
He changed his mind about killing Jessie after finding out he was a prisoner. But that would have mattered little if Walt really wanted everyone dead going in.

So I am not confused about what happened. I am confused why Walt being killed by a stray bullet was chosen as a good way to end the show. I thought that detail was dumb.

gargamel
09-30-2013, 10:27 AM
I liked that, in the end, it was the Nazi's ego that got him because he needed to prove that he was Jesse's slavemaster, not his partner. Conversely, Walk finally managed to swallow his pride by not telling Skyler that the $10M that they would be receiving was from him.

Red
09-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Sorry, but your ending would've sucked. If he just went and blown everything up, including himself, it would've been the most simplistic generic ending in the history of television. There wouldn't have been a chance to see Jessie get revenge on Todd, the face to face between Walt and Jessie, the execution of Jack at the hands of Heisenberg. You wouldn't have had any questions about Walt's attempt for redemption, or his opportunity to do right by Jessie. It just would've been a big explosion and a terrible ending to the series.

More effective at killing his enemies? Maybe. Good TV? No way.

Maybe the shootout wasn't a good way to end the show then? I don't know. I am just throwing it out there. The ending was a let down for me for many reasons. Cheesy gun tricks did not fit this show.

Cuz
09-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Wouldn't you think the Nazis would have gotten rid of the confession tape after watching it? They may be ######s but they're not that dumb

FlamesAddiction
09-30-2013, 10:33 AM
If he wanted to die, then blow it all up. Seriously, the gun scene was so "Rambo" and un-realistic.
He wanted Jessie dead. Nothing changed in the last few episodes. Walt didn't know that Jessie was still alive until Badger told him about the blue.
He changed his mind about killing Jessie after finding out he was a prisoner. But that would have mattered little if Walt really wanted everyone dead going in.

So I am not confused about what happened. I am confused why Walt being killed by a stray bullet was chosen as a good way to end the show. I thought that detail was dumb.

Come to think of it, I don't think his plan went exactly how he hoped and I am little confused on how he thought it was going to play out (he did mention that he was going to take his money back as well as avenge Hank).

Igottago
09-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Maybe the shootout wasn't a good way to end the show then? I don't know. I am just throwing it out there. The ending was a let down for me for many reasons. Cheesy gun tricks did not fit this show.

I disagree. The only thing that would've made it Rambo was if he went in and started shooting up the place himself. Instead, we got a typical Walter White approach...come up with a plan, put all the pieces in place, carefully executed that plan, with some luck. Maybe it wasn't the most realistic scene of all time but that's ok with me. I thought it was very fitting of the show and the character.

Red
09-30-2013, 10:39 AM
He was a chemist not an engineer or backyard mechanic. That's why a chemistry related ending would be a better fit. Kind of like he did with Tuco.

gargamel
09-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Come to think of it, I don't think his plan went exactly how he hoped and I am little confused on how he thought it was going to play out (he did mention that he was going to take his money back as well as avenge Hank).

I don't remember exactly when he mentioned taking his money back (I think it was during his last conversation with Saul, but I could be off on that), but he didn't have any intentions of getting that money once he went back to New Mexico. He knew that the $10 million that he'd given to the Schwartzes was the only money that he'd ever be able to get to his family.

As for a bomb being more effective, that's only true if the meeting ended up being right beside the car. If they had walked 50 meters away, it wouldn't have done anything. The gun contraption would have worked to kill anyone in that general direction for a much further distance. Of course, he'd have still been out of luck if they'd had the meeting on the other side of the car, but I guess he figured that he could control the direction of the car better than he could control the distance.

Red
09-30-2013, 10:48 AM
I don't remember exactly when he mentioned taking his money back (I think it was during his last conversation with Saul, but I could be off on that), but he didn't have any intentions of getting that money once he went back to New Mexico. He knew that the $10 million that he'd given to the Schwartzes was the only money that he'd ever be able to get to his family.

As for a bomb being more effective, that's only true if the meeting ended up being right beside the car. If they had walked 50 meters away, it wouldn't have done anything. The gun contraption would have worked to kill anyone in that general direction for a much further distance. Of course, he'd have still been out of luck if they'd had the meeting on the other side of the car, but I guess he figured that he could control the direction of the car better than he could control the distance.

The gun would have hit about 3 people before everyone at the other side of the room would get down. It took a few seconds to move that far, certainly enough for human instincts to kick in. But a TV show is afforded some slips, here you saw guys standing for a few seconds waiting to get shot.

Ark2
09-30-2013, 10:53 AM
The gun would have hit about 3 people before everyone at the other side of the room would get down. It took a few seconds to move that far, certainly enough for human instincts to kick in. But a TV show is afforded some slips, here you saw guys standing for a few seconds waiting to get shot.

They had no idea where the shots were coming from. I think the last thing they would have anticipated was a machine gun being fired from the trunk of Walt's car.

WilderPegasus
09-30-2013, 10:58 AM
He was a chemist not an engineer or backyard mechanic. That's why a chemistry related ending would be a better fit. Kind of like he did with Tuco.

He was a genius who loved chemistry. I'm pretty sure a guy who could produce the purest meth ever could figure out how to rig up a machine gun to a garage door opener.

And the machine gun totally fit the finale considering the show has always been described as Mr Chips turns into Scarface.

Erick Estrada
09-30-2013, 11:17 AM

I think he realized at the end that he in fact loved cooking meth as he himself finally confessed to Skyler it made him feel alive. The way he touched the mask and the pressure cooker you could tell they elicited fond memories. For months he convinced himself that he did all this for his family but at the end he finally realized that his life in crime in fact brought him happiness. I think he died happy that he accepted who he was and his fate.

nfotiu
09-30-2013, 11:18 AM
He was a genius who loved chemistry. I'm pretty sure a guy who could produce the purest meth ever could figure out how to rig up a machine gun to a garage door opener.

And the machine gun totally fit the finale considering the show has always been described as Mr Chips turns into Scarface.

And it fit in with some of his other MacGyvery contraptions like the magnet thing.

V
09-30-2013, 11:20 AM
Weird stuff to complain about. Almost like it didn't go down the way you thought was best, so it should've gone differently.

Wormius
09-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Jesse was the magnet guy.

Red
09-30-2013, 11:28 AM
Weird stuff to complain about. Almost like it didn't go down the way you thought was best, so it should've gone differently.

Not quite. My complaint is that the ending was not very creative. Basically any rookie hack writer could have come up with that. In fact, most fan predictions had it nailed down pretty good.

Expected better.

And again, didn't mind what happened. I just didn't like how it all happened.

nfotiu
09-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Not quite. My complaint is that the ending was not very creative. Basically any rookie hack writer could have come up with that. In fact, most fan predictions had it nailed down pretty good.

Expected better.

I just don't agree with what you are saying at all. I found it to be very well written, and found all the scenes very intense and emotional. It was a perfect conclusion, IMO. The last episode is not the the time to spring any surprises or twists, and if they had gone that route, it would have felt cheap.

woob
09-30-2013, 11:37 AM
http://i.imgur.com/fsCi4d9.jpg

Brannigans Law
09-30-2013, 11:44 AM

Expected better.

Ya, a twist ending where Walt cuts a deal with the feds and has a happy ending would have been super fun times. Or maybe Walt could have totally acted out of character and shot Jesse? Or perhaps Walt could have died right away and the rest of the episode they could all stand there, tapping their feet, like Sonic on Genesis.

The ending was true to the story arc, characters, and was executed with perfection. Not every show can end in a bizare twist, comicbook guy.

http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/images/c/cb/Comicbookguy.gif

I'm only poking fun but I'm also 20% serious

trackercowe
09-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Just more people complaining for the sake of complaining. Just because the ending may have been "predictable" does not mean it should be called a disappointment. Breaking Bad was never really that unpredictable to begin with; instead it was methodical and clued in viewers on the major moments that were going to happen in the show. Sure it also had its share of shocking moments like Hank finding Walt's book, or Walt running over those drug dealers to save Jesse, but then there was the predictable moments like Jesse needing to kill Gale, Hank's death, and Walt taking out Gus (even in mindblowing fashion). This is a show that didn't really rely on Twin Peaks style twists or Lost's deus ex machina to surprise people. Instead it set things up for viewers, slowly played out what was going to happen, and that allowed people to engage in what was going to happen. The finalie was no different, and a twist ending (like Jesse killing Walt) would have been the wrong move imo. It was tremendously satisfying, and hit on everything the viewers asked for, which is exactly what they set out to do.

Plus like others said twists really don't work in series finalie's anyway.

Language
09-30-2013, 12:25 PM
Thought it was a great finale and a fantastic conclusion to a great show.

No complaints about the ending whatsoever. They could have went with an ambiguous ending such as Jesse picking up the gun when Walt tells him to shoot him, and fading to black as Jesse contemplates whether to kill Walt or not. Then it could have been left to the audience to decide whether Jesse kills Walt, whether Walt succumbs from his wound anyway, whether the police catch him and he goes to jail, etc...

I'm glad they didn't do that and went with a closed arc concept where everything played out in front of you.

blankall
09-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Thought it was a great finale and a fantastic conclusion to a great show.

No complaints about the ending whatsoever. They could have went with an ambiguous ending such as Jesse picking up the gun when Walt tells him to shoot him, and fading to black as Jesse contemplates whether to kill Walt or not. Then it could have been left to the audience to decide whether Jesse kills Walt, whether Walt succumbs from his wound anyway, whether the police catch him and he goes to jail, etc...

I'm glad they didn't do that and went with a closed arc concept where everything played out in front of you.

Couldn't agree more. The closing of all the loose ends really fits the show, and in my opinion solidifies it as one of the greatest shows of all time. The show has never been 100% realistic, but the ending was, for the most part, grounded in reality. It was so well written, that I can look past the automated gun. Walt series of plans was very Walt. You could tell he had a moment of clarity and knew exactly what he needed to do and how to do it.

BlackArcher101
09-30-2013, 12:39 PM
I don't get the people calling this predictable. Yes, the end game was predictable, but how it played out was not. I was still left wondering what the next step was and that is what Breaking Bad was all about. It would be impossible to keep that in the last scene of the series without pissing off a lot of people.

FlamesAddiction
09-30-2013, 12:46 PM
I didn't like the direction of the show in general in the final seaqson. I was never really on board with Walt's cancer coming back to begin with. I thought it would have been a lot more tragic and funny in a dark way if it turned out he would have to live another 30 years. I was hoping that they would play it out that there was no escaping from the empire he built. I really wanted "bad" to win and for Walt to tranform completely into an evil mastermind.after losing everything.

The writers seemed intent on teaching a lesson though. To be clear, I liked it, but it wasn't quite what I was hoping for. I did like the finale though. In a way, Walt does "win" but he had to pay the ultimate price.

surferguy
09-30-2013, 12:49 PM
I really liked the episodenand especially liked the scenes at the swartz?? house. The way he was calm, asked them and then reaffirmed control over the situation may have been my favorite of the finale. I just loved the laser pointers and the way he handled everything.

I also loved way the scene with Skylar and Walt was shot. The whole long intro with Marie on the phone that the slow pan of the camera to reveal Walt behind the beam was just great. Those were the types of things that I found surprising. I just loved the way Walt was presented/presented himself during each of his meetings to tie up the loose ends.

ernie
09-30-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm confused how a series that had such a well written story that the loose ends really could be tied up in the final episode is anything short of fantastic. Was the basic ending telegraphed? Certainly, but it should be if the writing has been strong and it isn't some sort of mystery coming to a close. There shouldn't be any surprises outside of how each one of the things is actually going to play out.

You knew Grey matter was going to be dealt with in some manner. The question was how.

You knew there would be a final goodbye between Walt and Skyler. The question was how that would happen and what would be said.

You knew the supremacists and Todd were going to be wiped out. The question was how.

You knew the ricin was going to be used. The question was how and on who.

You knew the last two characters to interact were going to be Jesse and Walt. The question was on what would be said and what would happen.

You knew Walt was going to die. The question was how and how was he going to spend his last minutes.

There were no huge surprises and in this type of show there shouldn't have been. There was no rush and no need to rush. There was only a small surprise here and there as the last piece of the puzzle fell into place with a satisfying click.

woob
09-30-2013, 12:59 PM
The ending was true to the story arc, characters, and was executed with perfection.

Exactly. With this ending, we we're reminded about who Walt really is. He's Heisenberg - the ego fuelled, meth making "gangster". But more importantly, through it all - the ego, the money, the blue, the killings, all of it - Walt is still a strong family guy and a passionate and intelligent chemist.

He finally admitted that his number one driver of the past two years was about him. "I liked it. I was good at it." But driver 2, or even 1b, has always been about his family. Even though Walter's Heisenberg lost sight of 1b lots of times, Walt ALWAYS came back to that in his own obsessed way.

And so that's why this ending couldn't have been any other way, really. It had all the elements of Walter/Heisenberg combined and was executed the way Walter/Heisenberg would have done it. Guaranteed if there had been some Sixth Sense kind of ending or some action movie kind of explosive grand finale, that there'd be far more of a fan uproar than this ending.

WilderPegasus
09-30-2013, 01:18 PM
I don't get the people calling this predictable. Yes, the end game was predictable, but how it played out was not. I was still left wondering what the next step was and that is what Breaking Bad was all about. It would be impossible to keep that in the last scene of the series without pissing off a lot of people.

People are confusing logical with predictable. It all made sense in how it played out. Things weren't done to shock the viewers. They were done because that's what made for the story.

And it was a terrific performance by Bryan Cranston in how he played Walt as someone who had transformed once again through his isolation.

something
09-30-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm confused how a series that had such a well written story that the loose ends really could be tied up in the final episode is anything short of fantastic. Was the basic ending telegraphed? Certainly, but it should be if the writing has been strong and it isn't some sort of mystery coming to a close. There shouldn't be any surprises outside of how each one of the things is actually going to play out.

You knew Grey matter was going to be dealt with in some manner. The question was how.

You knew there would be a final goodbye between Walt and Skyler. The question was how that would happen and what would be said.

You knew the supremacists and Todd were going to be wiped out. The question was how.

You knew the ricin was going to be used. The question was how and on who.

You knew the last two characters to interact were going to be Jesse and Walt. The question was on what would be said and what would happen.

You knew Walt was going to die. The question was how and how was he going to spend his last minutes.

There were no huge surprises and in this type of show there shouldn't have been. There was no rush and no need to rush. There was only a small surprise here and there as the last piece of the puzzle fell into place with a satisfying click.

Absolutely. I appreciate this post.

We all had a good sense of what the outcome would be, but for me, it did not make it any less riveting or emotional. It was a "predictable surprise".

I find it interesting how many people believe that because the outcome was predictable that it was therefore poorly written, designed, or played out. I thought there was a lot of nuance to the dialogue and many allusions to previous episodes that left me feeling both utterly satisfied and saddened by the end of the episode.

For the remaining characters, there is no doubt that the outcome of all this will have some consequences. It is quixotic to believe that "all" the loose ends would be tied up, and that everyone would go on there merry way. However, the most impending dangers that surrounded them have concluded, and they are now in a position to patch up their lives.

I couldn't help but reminisce on the emotional commitment to the show I have given it over the years, and how the end of the series satisfied all that.

FlamesAddiction
09-30-2013, 01:29 PM
My favourite part was when Lydia called Todd's phone and Walt answered.

Paraphrasing:

"Is it done?"

"Yes, it's done."

"Who is this?"

"Walt... By the way, are you feeling like you have the flu?"

So cool and calm.

Bertuzzied
09-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Thoughts and prayers to everyone!! I might as well cancel my shaw now.

What an awesome ending to the best tv show in history!

hahaha. was i the only one who was super pissed at skylar for smoking with a baby in the house?? beyotch!

Bertuzzied
09-30-2013, 01:30 PM
My favourite part was when Lydia called Todd's phone and Walt answered.

Paraphrasing:

"Is it done?"

"Yes, it's done."

"Who is this?"

"Walt... By the way, are you feeling like you have the flu?"

So cool and calm.

I wished they cut to lydia one more time after he mentioned the ricin. I'll buy the bluray if it's in the deleted scenes!

Bertuzzied
09-30-2013, 01:32 PM
Wow. this stat is almost unheard of. I hope AMC wakes up and renews Breaking Bad for another year......... sniff sniff

The series finale of "Breaking Bad" Sunday (Sept. 29) delivered the show's best ratings ever, which is not a surprise. The degree to which it surpassed its previous best, though, is pretty remarkable.
AMC says 10.3 million viewers tuned in to the 75-minute finale on Sunday. The previous high for the show was 6.6 million for the previous week's episode, meaning the finale topped the prior record by a margin of more than 50 percent. Just the number of adults 18-49 tuning in, 6.7 million, beat the old record for the whole audience.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Television/2013/09/30/21161541.html

djsFlames
09-30-2013, 02:54 PM
The gun thing was like watching a Transporter movie. Same with Jack getting so upset for being called a lier. Borderline cheesy.

I guess in the end I didn't mind what happened, but how it happened. Not creative at all. Would have preferred Walt offing everyone by ways of some neat chemistry rather than a big gun on a garage opener.

I disagree completely.

It was very tense, as you thought Walt had it all planned out perfectly, but for a few moments you weren't sure if he really was actually going to get his chance to finish them.

So he put his faith in knowing how to press the right buttons. Walt demonstrated the knowledge he gained over the course of the show by being at the top of the heap in a criminal world, where greed and pride take center stage. He understands that Jack now is in that same place. And so he knows he wouldn't take kindly to being labelled partners with Jesse, he would have to at least prove that to Walt. Being the previous king with a reputation calling the new one a phoney, basically. Maybe Jack wouldn't care for someone claiming such a thing, and would just waste him without hesitation, but after learning through Todd's stories and the and fame of Heisenberg doing the rounds for months, he has a certain amount of respect for Walt. And Walt knows this, having dealt with similar situations with Gus, Hank etc and needing to prove his worth to them. So it's not a stretch or cheesy at all I don't think.

And the chemistry tricks have been done several times, at times when there were still parts of Walter White the chem school teacher lingering. He wasn't there to impress anyone, or climb the ladder anymore. He was there to finish business that needed to be dealt with. And I think he wanted to off them in the same manner they offed Hank and Gomez (culminating with a bullet to Jack's head).

Acey
09-30-2013, 03:35 PM
AMC says 10.3 million viewers tuned in to the 75-minute finale

Here's one of those "what's wrong with humanity" stats... Big Bang Theory from 6:30-7 on Thursday averaged over 20 million viewers.