PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Bad

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

MrMastodonFarm
08-15-2013, 03:28 PM
That's about when I started too. Signed up for netflix.. Always heard good things. Hooked.

Clever_Iggy
08-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Did they not specifically say those were copies? I would have to assume since he had 2 DEA agents bringing it to him seemingly on the up-and-up, that's not original evidence...

...and it says "Copy" on the side of all the boxes.

Pacem
08-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Pretty funny to see what a slow burn this show has had to popularity. The first three seasons had about ten posts in this thread and didn't get to a second page.

Yeah I just started watching the show last month lol.

FlamesAddiction
08-15-2013, 05:25 PM
I typically don't start watching any shows from the time they start. I wait until the public library gets the full seasons on DVD.

Regulator75
08-15-2013, 05:35 PM
I typically don't start watching any shows from the time they start. I wait until the public library gets the full seasons on DVD.

Library? DVD? What year is it? Am I dreaming now?

trackercowe
08-15-2013, 09:13 PM
Anyone else been watching since episode one, day one?

If so we should probably give ourselves a pat on the back... I knew this show would be awesome the moment I saw that Vince Gillian was the creator.

calgarywinning
08-15-2013, 09:14 PM
I've put some more thought into the carwash scene and I think what is shows is Skylar's willingness to accept walt and go along with his plans.

To that effect will Jesse and Hank team up? Will Walt and Skyler team up?

More specifically, the first scene has Walt getting the Ricin. The theory is to use on himself, but maybe on Skylar.

calgarywinning
08-15-2013, 09:15 PM

If so we should probably give ourselves a pat on the back... I knew this show would be awesome the moment I saw that Vince Gillian was the creator.

Yes. Episode one was a masterpiece. It was like watching a whole series in a single episode. The train episode was also one of the highlights where no tv show has gone before.

getbak
08-16-2013, 02:52 AM

Yup. I didn't even know Shaw had AMC at the time. I read a preview of the pilot and went to search to see if anyone was airing it locally and found out that I got AMC.

DownInFlames
08-16-2013, 06:54 AM

Yeah, I've been watching since the beginning. At first it was hard to get other people on board though. I was sold when I heard the dad from Malcolm In The Middle was going to be a meth dealer, but the premise didn't seem to impress anyone else I talked to.

Huntingwhale
08-16-2013, 08:41 AM

I'm the same way, minus the library part. I absolutely HATE waiting for shows. I'm the type of person who likes to sit down and binge on a series over the course of a month or so. I wish I never got started on Sons of Anarchy or Boardwalk Empire. Now I'm stuck waiting for them get caught up. It'll be at least a couple years before I even get to Game of Thrones. Breaking Bad was a special exception though.

FlamesAddiction
08-16-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm the same way, minus the library part. I absolutely HATE waiting for shows. I'm the type of person who likes to sit down and binge on a series over the course of a month or so. I wish I never got started on Sons of Anarchy or Boardwalk Empire. Now I'm stuck waiting for them get caught up. It'll be at least a couple years before I even get to Game of Thrones. Breaking Bad was a special exception though.

That's part of the reason for me. The other part is that I live under a rock and usually don't even hear about shows until they are already old.

1stLand
08-17-2013, 09:30 AM
Huge Plot Hole: Why would Hank take a dump in Walter & Skyler's Ensuite Bathroom?
Who takes dumps in peoples Master Bedroom Bathroom?

Why not the guest Bathroom? Doesnt make sense

PowerPlayoffs06
08-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Pretty sure they don't have a second bathroom. When Walt was sleeping in the nursery, he had to get up and ask Skylar to use the bathroom in the master bedroom but she wouldn't let him in, so he wound up pissing in the sink if I recall.

Log
08-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Huge Plot Hole: Why would Hank take a dump in Walter & Skyler's Ensuite Bathroom?
Who takes dumps in peoples Master Bedroom Bathroom?

Why not the guest Bathroom? Doesnt make sense

LOL.... Funny enough by brother in law does.....

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

stang
08-17-2013, 10:31 AM
My sister does too.

Yamer
08-17-2013, 12:19 PM
I've seen a few Hank & Jessie promo shots cropping up on FB. Read into it what you will.

FlamesAddiction
08-17-2013, 12:48 PM
I'm really not liking the angle of Jesse falling into depression, and I really hope they don't have him turning to Hank for support (which it seems like they are preparing the audience for).

Potential spoilers below (it's based on an official promo shot and video, so it's out there, but some people still may not want to know):

http://cdn.hitfix.com/photos/3544994/Skyler-and-Walt-dig-up-some-secrets.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=Z08kbf3eIQqe9M&tbnid=yYyFJ5kN-7wvGM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hitfix.com%2Fnews%2Fbryan-cranston-and-aaron-paul-return-to-the-desert-in-new-breaking-bad-images&ei=psQPUtmpC-vOyAHjmoA4&bvm=bv.50768961,d.b2I&psig=AFQjCNGbgltTJRP-2hq7Ze2s650ZsW-Pnw&ust=1376851486566454)

The photo implies that Skylar and Walt bury something (or someone) in the desert. Some are suggesting it's the money, but some suggest it might be Ted or Lydia. (One of the episode descriptions says that something from Skylar's past comes back to haunt her). In the video promo for the episode, you can also hear Skylar sobbing and saying that she is "so sorry"...

Yamer
08-17-2013, 02:12 PM
I don't think that Jessie will go to Hank for support, but Hank may see the guilt and pressure of the situation weighing on Jessie and take that as an opportunity to flip him and give him a way to clear his conscience. I can't even see Jessie taking much of a deal, as he seems to believe that the only way for him to purge everything is to suffer.

BlackEleven
08-17-2013, 04:37 PM
I don't think that Jessie will go to Hank for support, but Hank may see the guilt and pressure of the situation weighing on Jessie and take that as an opportunity to flip him and give him a way to clear his conscience. I can't even see Jessie taking much of a deal, as he seems to believe that the only way for him to purge everything is to suffer.

I don't think Jesse would rat Walt out because of his own guilt. But Hank is good at piecing things together, and if he can figure out that Walt was the one that poisoned Brock, I could see that being enough get Jesse to turn on Walt.

Perhaps it's even Jesse that destroys Walt's house and spray-paints Heisenberg on the wall.

polak
08-18-2013, 12:36 AM
I'm really not liking the angle of Jesse falling into depression, and I really hope they don't have him turning to Hank for support (which it seems like they are preparing the audience for).

Potential spoilers below (it's based on an official promo shot and video, so it's out there, but some people still may not want to know):

http://cdn.hitfix.com/photos/3544994/Skyler-and-Walt-dig-up-some-secrets.jpg (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=Z08kbf3eIQqe9M&tbnid=yYyFJ5kN-7wvGM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hitfix.com%2Fnews%2Fbryan-cranston-and-aaron-paul-return-to-the-desert-in-new-breaking-bad-images&ei=psQPUtmpC-vOyAHjmoA4&bvm=bv.50768961,d.b2I&psig=AFQjCNGbgltTJRP-2hq7Ze2s650ZsW-Pnw&ust=1376851486566454)

The photo implies that Skylar and Walt bury something (or someone) in the desert. Some are suggesting it's the money, but some suggest it might be Ted or Lydia. (One of the episode descriptions says that something from Skylar's past comes back to haunt her). In the video promo for the episode, you can also hear Skylar sobbing and saying that she is "so sorry"...

That's crazy. Gets me excited!

Daradon
08-18-2013, 11:27 AM
I don't think Jesse would rat Walt out because of his own guilt. But Hank is good at piecing things together, and if he can figure out that Walt was the one that poisoned Brock, I could see that being enough get Jesse to turn on Walt.

Perhaps it's even Jesse that destroys Walt's house and spray-paints Heisenberg on the wall.

I'm not sure it matters who sprayed Heisenberg on the wall. To me it's likely it's just the neighbourhood kids etc. who loiter or squat in the house. People, especially teenagers, take an eerie fascination in criminals and killers. To me it was written there just as a kind of an homage to who lived there and what happened there by the teens who are curious about that kind of stuff.

As far as the home being closed, it could easily just have been condemned because it's a drug property. Course they weren't actually cooking there, but there's a lot of reasons why the city might choose to condemn it. They would definitely repossess it at the least.

Doesn't mean someone didn't take revenge, like the other theories, but I'm not sold on that yet.

As far as Jesse goes, yeah I think he's is right on the line for turning on Walt. We've seen him look at Walt lot differently since the boy got shot and they had their big falling out when Jesse wanted to leave the business. I think his loyalty is hanging on just barely, but as mentioned, it'll only take one more little push to finally dissolve that loyalty, and that could take the form of many things. Info on Jane or Brock, or maybe even something more to come.

polak
08-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Do you think there will be any filler in the last 7?

Daradon
08-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Depends what you call 'filler'. I don't believe there really has been much in the whole series. Perhaps a few of the funny bits with Jesse's friends could be taken out or shortened, but in my opinion they're gold and really add to the enjoyment of the show.

I generally disagree when people talk about this show or Game of Thrones as of having filler parts, or 'side' parts. It's all important, and entertaining in my opinion.

There is ONE episode on BB I would count as filler. The Fly episode. But I was generally entertained by it and it showed Walt's state of mind as well as his human qualities towards the end. Feeling bad about Jane and almost spilling the beans to Jesse. Realizing he had made some big mistakes. Plus it started the possible idea that his cancer had come back and may have even become a brain tumor. Whether that was just for drama, or to throw us off the trail, who knows. But I still thought it was a decent episode.

I get more concerned about filler in shows or books when there's a bunch of it. In small doses, you really can't define it because it's just telling the story. I find filler is when something is repeated over and over again, and you're like, 'yeah, I got it,'. But if the purpose of a book or show is to entertain, and it's doing it's job, you can't really say any parts were unnecessary, even if they didn't follow a major character or plot point. Because it's entertaining, which is the whole point of engaging in it. Otherwise, why read the book or watch the show at all? Or if you just want to know what happens, go to a summary site after the show ends.

Walt is a chemistry teacher with money problems who gets cancer. He starts to make and sell meth to earn money for his family and to pay for his treatment. He eventually succumbs to the temptations of the money and power. However, things unravel, many people are killed and eventually Walt dies as well. The End.

No filler, but not entertaining either. :/

Daradon
08-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Oh, I'll just add specifically, I think we are going to have a fast and full ride to the end. The fact that the Walt-Hank confrontation came so quickly perhaps proving that. I didn't think we'd hit that in the first episode. Was thinking more like episode two, maybe even three. If they really wanted to add filler they could have stretched it even longer.

But I do think it shows there is still LOTS more to do and reveal and should move at a pretty heady pace.

Yamer
08-18-2013, 03:14 PM
The Fly episode was one of the most brilliant and memorable episodes in the series.

Wormius
08-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Breaking Bad quiz - Walter White or Shakespeare quote?

http://www.cbc.ca/books/2013/08/who-said-it-breaking-bads-walter-white-or-a-shakespearean-villain.html

Respectable 90% The last one was a bit hard to attribute to either Walter White or a character from Shakespeare.

Flash Walken
08-18-2013, 06:39 PM
The Fly episode was one of the most brilliant and memorable episodes in the series.

It's like an escalator into Walt's psyche. I love that episode.

I put it on when I'm doing the dishes or whatever background chore.

Regulator75
08-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Anyone getting a little anxious about tonight's episode!

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/yeah-science-bitch-meme.jpg

FlamesAddiction
08-18-2013, 08:06 PM
It will be so funny if that lotto ticket he bought with the GPS coordinates hidden in it, actually ends up winning the lottery.

VANFLAMESFAN
08-18-2013, 08:13 PM
What an a-hole way of ending the episode.

Yamer
08-18-2013, 09:15 PM

Haha, I screamed at the TV afterwards (wanting an intense scene between Hank and Jesse), then realized what I have to look forward to next week.

Dean Norris is easily creeping into Emmy territory. Brilliant portrayal of his character. The scene between Hank and Skyler in the diner was fantastic. You could feel the desperation from each character, and Norris' performance was enthralling. You could completely identify with Hank's desire to finish Heisenberg at any cost, even knowing what that cost may be.

As an aside, I'm really enjoying Anna Gunn's analysis on the show in this 'Talking Bad'. This lady has a very astute understanding of the show that goes beyond the script she is given.

Mightyfire89
08-18-2013, 10:13 PM

Yup, I was actually angry at a tv show, which I can't say has happened before in my life.

Goddamn this is a good show. So sad it's ending in 6 more episodes.

Wormius
08-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Haha, I screamed at the TV afterwards (wanting an intense scene between Hank and Jesse), then realized what I have to look forward to next week.

Dean Norris is easily creeping into Emmy territory. Brilliant portrayal of his character. The scene between Hank and Skyler in the diner was fantastic. You could feel the desperation from each character, and Norris' performance was enthralling. You could completely identify with Hank's desire to finish Heisenberg at any cost, even knowing what that cost may be.

As an aside, I'm really enjoying Anna Gunn's analysis on the show in this 'Talking Bad'. This lady has a very astute understanding of the show that goes beyond the script she is given.

Dean Norris is looking very good. I don't think he has ever been weak in the show, but unless Aaron Paul steps it up, Norris looks like the fore-runner for best supporting.

I was kind of hoping that Walt would have dug the hole for the money too shallow. That would have been hilarious.

getbak
08-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Walt's GPS must have been broken. Those coordinates point to a movie studio in Albuquerque, not the middle of the desert. http://goo.gl/maps/q6sYr

Titles for the remaining episodes...

11. Confessions
12. Rabid Dog
13. To'hajiilee (Indian Reservation just outside Albuquerque)
14. Ozymandias
15. Granite State (nickname for New Hampshire)
16. Felina

The Reservation is likely where Walt buried the money. In the flash forward at the beginning of last season, Walt's driver's license and license plate were from NH, so that's likely where he has been living prior to the events of the flash forward.

PIMking
08-18-2013, 10:32 PM
am I the only one that waits until the whole show is recorded so you dont have to deal with commercials?

Mightyfire89
08-18-2013, 10:47 PM
^^^No.

BlackEleven
08-18-2013, 10:53 PM
am I the only one that waits until the whole show is recorded so you dont have to deal with commercials?

Nope, I do that too. I find the commercials completely spoil the mood. There's nothing more annoying than cutting away from a dark tense scene to some loud, obnoxious sunshine and lollipops jingle.

Wormius
08-18-2013, 10:55 PM
I am not sure if I would, even if I did have a PVR.

I did wish they would follow Breaking Bad immediately with Talking Bad. Although, I have to admit that Low Winter Sun isn't bad and its a good way to get people to watch a new show.

jydk
08-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Anyone else suspect Huell and Burr of maybe placing some sort of tracking device on the vehicle or in the barrels?

Daradon
08-18-2013, 11:01 PM
And boom goes the dynamite!

Fan-freakin-tastic episode.

Forgot to mention last week that's Jesse's behaviour would probably draw attention. Even if he did drive off after throwing the money around, the money probably would have made a story on the news. People wouldn't have been able to keep quiet on that.

So yeah, of course Hank was going to run into him sooner or later.

Was a little surprised he was pushing Skyler so hard when he first met her. Guess it does show to his character, he really wants this.

And for once I did feel bad for Marie. Of course she would be mad if she thought Walt somehow caused Hank to get shot (which in a roundabout way he did).

Wonder what's going to happen with Walt Jr. Wonder if Hank and or Marie might try talking to him. Even if not, Walt and Skyler are going to have to spill the beans pretty soon here.

Daradon
08-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Anyone else suspect Huell and Burr of maybe placing some sort of tracking device on the vehicle or in the barrels?

Like Burr said (couldn't quite catch the characters name) when Huell mentioned Mexico, Walt had 10 people whacked in a two minute span. They're too scared (and smart) to try something stupid.

I think they may have pocketed a stack or two though, lol.

Wormius
08-18-2013, 11:08 PM

Walt seemed pretty blase about whether all of the money was in the barrels, and the look on Huell and Burr's face seemed to indicate something was up.

Wormius
08-18-2013, 11:13 PM
Wonder what's going to happen with Walt Jr. Wonder if Hank and or Marie might try talking to him. Even if not, Walt and Skyler are going to have to spill the beans pretty soon here.

Where is Walt Jr, anyway?

Daradon
08-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Walt's GPS must have been broken. Those coordinates point to a movie studio in Albuquerque, not the middle of the desert. http://goo.gl/maps/q6sYr

Titles for the remaining episodes...

11. Confessions
12. Rabid Dog
13. To'hajiilee (Indian Reservation just outside Albuquerque)
14. Ozymandias
15. Granite State (nickname for New Hampshire)
16. Felina

The Reservation is likely where Walt buried the money. In the flash forward at the beginning of last season, Walt's driver's license and license plate were from NH, so that's likely where he has been living prior to the events of the flash forward.

The probably did those co-ords on purpose. If they gave real co-ords to a place in the desert some goofy fanboys would go dig the spot up, much to the chagrin of the New Mexico government I imagine.

Coys1882
08-18-2013, 11:31 PM
Walt seemed pretty blase about whether all of the money was in the barrels, and the look on Huell and Burr's face seemed to indicate something was up.

I thought that was more of a "damn, we could have totally taken some"

Daradon
08-18-2013, 11:33 PM
Where is Walt Jr, anyway?

Well it's only been a day of time hasn't it? He's probably at school. Or Lewis' house.

Oh, and interesting power play by Lydia. Though I think she's just creating another set of problems to fix hers, if her plan does even end up fixing them.

Daradon
08-18-2013, 11:35 PM
I thought that was more of a "damn, we could have totally taken some"

Yeah, that's what I thought too, or maybe even a sigh of, whew we got away with pocketing a little. But I doubt they planned anything big. Like I said, Burr's character was very clear about knowing how dangerous he knew Walt to be.

Wormius
08-18-2013, 11:35 PM
The probably did those co-ords on purpose. If they gave real co-ords to a place in the desert some goofy fanboys would go dig the spot up, much to the chagrin of the New Mexico government I imagine.

That would probably be pretty cool if they gave the real location. Sounds like there are already tours of some of the locations used in the show. Not that I would go to ABQ just for that, but if I was there, it would be pretty fun to do some Breaking Bad geo-caching.

Wonder if anybody can find the real location on Google Earth...

getbak
08-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Yup. That's what I was thinking. It also gives some free publicity to their studio.

calgarywinning
08-19-2013, 12:40 AM
And boom goes the dynamite!

Fan-freakin-tastic episode.

Forgot to mention last week that's Jesse's behaviour would probably draw attention. Even if he did drive off after throwing the money around, the money probably would have made a story on the news. People wouldn't have been able to keep quiet on that.

So yeah, of course Hank was going to run into him sooner or later.

Was a little surprised he was pushing Skyler so hard when he first met her. Guess it does show to his character, he really wants this.

And for once I did feel bad for Marie. Of course she would be mad if she thought Walt somehow caused Hank to get shot (which in a roundabout way he did).

Walt doesn't cause death. Guns do! Lol. Just wanted to say that randomly.

calgarywinning
08-19-2013, 12:45 AM
I had my son tell me that Vince Gilligan has written the show using Checkovs gun theory.

I thought it was a novel but according to Wiki it is:

Chekhov's gun is a dramatic principle which requires every element in a narrative to be necessary and irreplaceable, and for everything else to be removed.[1][2][3] Stated by Anton Chekhov, "Remove everything that has no relevance to the story. If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there."[3][4] Under this principle, a seemingly unimportant object ("Chekhov's gun") that is shown or mentioned in the narrative will serve as a plot device or have some other significance later (i.e. foreshadowing).
Variations on the statement include:
"One must not put a loaded rifle on the stage if no one is thinking of firing it." Chekhov, letter to Aleksandr Semenovich Lazarev (pseudonym of A. S. Gruzinsky), 1 November 1889.[5]
"If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there." From Gurlyand's Reminiscences of A. P. Chekhov, in Teatr i iskusstvo 1904, No. 28, 11 July, p. 521.[6]

Which sums up the show perfectly. When I watched tonight it felt like going back to the first episode when Walt went out into the desert.

Wormius
08-19-2013, 01:38 AM
When listening to Gilligan (from the Charlie Rose interview) talk about his and the other writer's methods, it sounds like they actually do a reverse of this, where they purposefully scour over previous episodes, eg) Leaves of Grass and use it in future episodes to actually make it look very well planned and hashed out in advance.

Erick Estrada
08-19-2013, 07:29 AM

I'm pretty sure they pocketed a few bills and when Walt said; "Close enough" he's essentially acknowledging that he didn't care if a few bundles were missing and they had a guily/relieved look on their faces.

YYC in LAX
08-19-2013, 07:43 AM
I'm pretty sure they pocketed a few bills and when Walt said; "Close enough" he's essentially acknowledging that he didn't care if a few bundles were missing and they had a guily/relieved look on their faces.

Yeah, a little light humour I thought in classic Breaking Bad form.

Reaper
08-19-2013, 07:53 AM
That would probably be pretty cool if they gave the real location. Sounds like there are already tours of some of the locations used in the show. Not that I would go to ABQ just for that, but if I was there, it would be pretty fun to do some Breaking Bad geo-caching.

Wonder if anybody can find the real location on Google Earth...I was thinking about that. I kind of wished that the coordinates they gave are to a place where nothing could be conceivably buried (i.e. the middle of a lake or the peak of a mountain)

GP_Matt
08-19-2013, 09:04 AM
I had my son tell me that Vince Gilligan has written the show using Checkovs gun theory.

If that is true then I am a bit concerned about the direction they are setting up in this scene.
Spoiler for size only
http://i.imgur.com/qpKfDwC.png
Look to the right of his shoulder.

Coys1882
08-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Is that a butt plug? LOL

VANFLAMESFAN
08-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Is that a butt plug? LOL

It was a gift from Wendy.

http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.site/PHctIighHMb4ff_1_m.jpg

Regulator75
08-19-2013, 11:57 AM
http://wpc.556e.edgecastcdn.net/80556E/img.site/PHctIighHMb4ff_1_m.jpg

At first look, I thought it was Madonna.

http://patrishka.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/madonna.jpg

http://mtv-tv.mtvnimages.com/images/flipbooks-1/celebs-with-no-makeup/madonna106.jpg?width=300

Regulator75
08-19-2013, 01:17 PM
K1LnLsMW19U

Radio
08-19-2013, 05:11 PM
I am wondering what Walt and family are still doing in Albuquerque. Money laundering in such a small demographic is going to be painfully slow. It would be easier to find that associate of Saul's and get a new identity for him and his family as multimillionaires in a new location away from Hank and all of their Albuquerque troubles. Maybe that is what he does, and has to return for some reason.

Wonder if that's what all the New Hampshire stuff is about... But Walt's ego can't let some unfinished business go.

sa226
08-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Just came in to say that I finally just watched the pilot. So there.

I feel like my parents in the internet world. Still sending chain emails.

Wormius
08-19-2013, 05:52 PM
At first look, I thought it was Madonna.

http://mtv-tv.mtvnimages.com/images/flipbooks-1/celebs-with-no-makeup/madonna106.jpg?width=300

That is creepy. It looks like celebrities are finally trying to impersonate Weird Al.

Daradon
08-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Wonder if that's what all the New Hampshire stuff is about... But Walt's ego can't let some unfinished business go.

Naw. Walt is obviously deeply distressed on his trip back to Abq. Looks frankly like he's lost everything and realized the money isn't worth it. There's no way the family is safe and sound back in N.H. and he's just tying somethings up.

Family is either already dead, against him, or in jail. Or a combination, Skyler could be in jail and the kids could have been taken away for instance.

Wormius
08-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Naw. Walt is obviously deeply distressed on his trip back to Abq. Looks frankly like he's lost everything and realized the money isn't worth it. There's no way the family is safe and sound back in N.H. and he's just tying somethings up.

Family is either already dead, against him, or in jail. Or a combination, Skyler could be in jail and the kids could have been taken away for instance.

Interesting. Initially I thought maybe the ricin was just suicide for Walt, but maybe the whole White family is going to pull a Joseph Goebbels act somehow.

Doesn't explain the gun though...

Huntingwhale
08-19-2013, 08:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/CXSSHh2.gif

http://i.minus.com/izUI4FAI0c8H4.gif

MrMastodonFarm
08-19-2013, 11:56 PM
Anyone remember this scene?
spoiled for size.
http://i.imgur.com/z5GLpdf.jpg

Wormius
08-20-2013, 01:33 AM
I was thinking about that. I kind of wished that the coordinates they gave are to a place where nothing could be conceivably buried (i.e. the middle of a lake or the peak of a mountain)

It looks like the real location is a placed called "Tohajiilee", located west of ABQ.

The terrain, just looking on Google's satellite view, is incredible. It is reserve land, so that explains the erroneous GPS coordinate to thwart any copy-cat Walter Whites.

R1BNrxUo77w

Daradon
08-20-2013, 02:00 AM
Interesting. Initially I thought maybe the ricin was just suicide for Walt, but maybe the whole White family is going to pull a Joseph Goebbels act somehow.

Doesn't explain the gun though...

???

Ricin is a fairly stupid suicide delivery. It takes days. Why not just shoot yourself? Walt's got the means.

The ricin really only works as a covert murder delivery.

And why would he travel out of his way just to commit suicide? Suicide slowly?

Ricin is not a suicide pill, doesn't make sense to take it. First like I said, you die slowly. This leads to the second reason. High levels officials are often thought to carry suicide pills so they don't give information under threat of torture. If you took ricin, you'd still have many hours to be tortured and leak info.

Naw he's got a plan for it. Someone who he feels betrayed him.

Wormius
08-20-2013, 09:44 AM
???

Ricin is a fairly stupid suicide delivery. It takes days. Why not just shoot yourself? Walt's got the means.

The ricin really only works as a covert murder delivery.

And why would he travel out of his way just to commit suicide? Suicide slowly?

Ricin is not a suicide pill, doesn't make sense to take it. First like I said, you die slowly. This leads to the second reason. High levels officials are often thought to carry suicide pills so they don't give information under threat of torture. If you took ricin, you'd still have many hours to be tortured and leak info.

Naw he's got a plan for it. Someone who he feels betrayed him.

I wasn't think of just Walt killing himself only. Maybe for him and Skyler, if prison wasn't something they could stomach.

But you're right. But why get the ricin at all, unless he doesn't want somebody else to find it? Even if he couldn't make up another batch, he could locate something else poisonous enough to kill a person.

Daradon
08-20-2013, 04:08 PM
I wasn't think of just Walt killing himself only. Maybe for him and Skyler, if prison wasn't something they could stomach.

But you're right. But why get the ricin at all, unless he doesn't want somebody else to find it? Even if he couldn't make up another batch, he could locate something else poisonous enough to kill a person.

Well yeah, obviously he wants if for something. I guess if he is planning on going out in a blaze of glory you're right, he doesn't really need ricin. He only needs it if he wants to get away with poisoning/killing someone.

We'll see. It's another bullet in his chamber anyway, it could be useful for a few reasons. It would be a lot easier to discreetly get that in someones food than dumping in a lethal dose of pine-sol, lol.

Wormius
08-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Well yeah, obviously he wants if for something. I guess if he is planning on going out in a blaze of glory you're right, he doesn't really need ricin. He only needs it if he wants to get away with poisoning/killing someone.

We'll see. It's another bullet in his chamber anyway, it could be useful for a few reasons. It would be a lot easier to discreetly get that in someones food than dumping in a lethal dose of pine-sol, lol.

It's probably for Lydia. There is something pretty weird about her. Why is she caught up in this? She doesn't seem like she needs the money. Is Madrigal to Lydia what Hermanos was to Gus and the carwash is to Walt? It just seems weird with a seemingly good corporate job.

Daradon
08-20-2013, 04:46 PM
It's probably for Lydia. There is something pretty weird about her. Why is she caught up in this? She doesn't seem like she needs the money. Is Madrigal to Lydia what Hermanos was to Gus and the carwash is to Walt? It just seems weird with a seemingly good corporate job.

Yeah Lydia seems to be good at making people mad at her. Her recent play this week probably won't go as smoothly as she hoped either.

The only reason I don't think it may be Lydia is because Walt already toyed with that idea once. Also, it seems Lydia is capable of getting herself killed by people other than Walt, haha.

ranchlandsselling
08-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Maybe he's suddenly got a conscience and doesn't want anyone finding it and doing something bad with it or ingesting it.

Or, doesn't want it used as evidence against him (what would the charge be for having ricin?).

Daradon
08-20-2013, 06:02 PM
I imagine ricin would fall under chemical weapon laws and would carry a massive penalty.

VANFLAMESFAN
08-20-2013, 06:07 PM

The name of the final episode might be in reference to her???? Final is called "Felina". I might be grasping at straws. I don't know. There's something real important going on with her.

Wormius
08-20-2013, 06:59 PM
The name of the final episode might be in reference to her???? Final is called "Felina". I might be grasping at straws. I don't know. There's something real important going on with her.

Is that the feminine form of "Felon" or "feline"? I guess it's also a anagram of "finale".

PowerPlayoffs06
08-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Oh nice. Guess it's time to start staying out of this thread for the next 6 weeks.

Daradon
08-21-2013, 01:22 AM
I know you guys are white-ing out the the important words, but it might just be better if you put it into spoiler tags.

On that note, I had a few ideas of what may go down based on some sound bites I heard. I'll put them into spoiler tags because while I know it's very possible AMC is just editing them together to mess with their audience, I know people stay away from sound bites and promo shots.

I think Jesse finds out Walt's involvement with Brock's illness next episode. We know Saul knows and he got Huell to help. We also know that even Saul said he wouldn't have helped if he knew the plan involved harming and possibly killing a child. It sounds like, from the sound bites, that Jesse finds this out from Saul.

JeanLucPicard
08-21-2013, 01:03 PM
I just have a hard time imagining any reason for Jesse to know anything about the kid or Jane. (I think it would be forced writing if it happened). There is no reason for Walt, or Goodman, to care about those things at this point, let alone tell Jesse. When they know nothing good comes out of Jesse knowing it why would they tell him?

djsFlames
08-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Judging by the sound bits in the preview for next week, the idea does fit. It sounds like Jesse is trying to get some truth out of Walt or Saul, and Saul is claiming that something he did in his past he never would have got involved in if he knew it's real purpose. The poisoning of the kid fits that bill quite well. How it gets brought up again, I have no idea for sure. As far as we know that Jesse knows, he has concluded that it was some complete accident. Unless Walt comes clean with him for some reason.

My theory is that Jesse figures out Hank is on to Walt, as Hank will offer him some sort of deal to give him something solid on Walt, but Jesse doesn't rat on him in the interrogation room right then I don't think. Saul probably gets him out and he goes to Walt, and then with the knowledge that Hank's onto him, uses the threat of exposing him to Hank as leverage to get every lie he can out of Walt. Jesse already suspects he's lying about Mike and it's obviously been bothering him. So maybe he threatens to talk if Walt doesn't come clean. And so perhaps Walt comes clean about more than one thing (Mike, Brock, maybe even Jane). Then when Jesse finds out, he has that heated conversation with Saul relating to the poisoning incident. Then it would make sense.

At that point I think he decides to rat on Walt anyways out of pure anger and sense of betrayal.

Ark2
08-21-2013, 03:00 PM
Judging by the sound bits in the preview for next week, the idea does fit. It sounds like Jesse is trying to get some truth out of Walt or Saul, and Saul is claiming that something he did in his past he never would have got involved in if he knew it's real purpose. The poisoning of the kid fits that bill quite well. How it gets brought up again, I have no idea for sure. As far as we know that Jesse knows, he has concluded that it was some complete accident. Unless Walt comes clean with him for some reason.

My theory is that Jesse figures out Hank is on to Walt, as Hank will offer him some sort of deal to give him something solid on Walt, but Jesse doesn't rat on him in the interrogation room right then I don't think. Saul probably gets him out and he goes to Walt, and then with the knowledge that Hank's onto him, uses the threat of exposing him to Hank as leverage to get every lie he can out of Walt. Jesse already suspects he's lying about Mike and it's obviously been bothering him. So maybe he threatens to talk if Walt doesn't come clean. And so perhaps Walt comes clean about more than one thing (Mike, Brock, maybe even Jane). Then when Jesse finds out, he has that heated conversation with Saul relating to the poisoning incident. Then it would make sense.

At that point I think he decides to rat on Walt anyways out of pure anger and sense of betrayal.

Jesse would never try to blackmail Walt. He knows that Walt would just kill him like he has with every other person that has gotten in his way.

trackercowe
08-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Jesse would never try to blackmail Walt. He knows that Walt would just kill him like he has with every other person that has gotten in his way.
Well obviously Jesse is quite depressed and irrational at the moment, and I don't think he'd consider such an issue if he found out Walt poisoned Brock or Walt killed Mike, he's already hanging on by a thread as is. If it means taking down Walt and the empire he built, then I don't think Jesse cares a whole lot about sacrificing his life for the cause. Not that I am confident that is what the outcome will be, but I don't think Jesse is all that concerned about the ramifications of taking down Walt (unlike everyone else around him). That goes towards the dichotomy of their relationship, and how it should evolve to a tipping point eventually this season.

djsFlames
08-21-2013, 04:31 PM
I think Jesse would, actually. He has no loyalty to Walt anymore. They haven't worked together for months. Walt dropped off 5 million dollars of "blood money" that has been feeding on him mentally since episode 8. And he had his gun in his back pocket when Walt showed up, so it looks like he's been contemplating getting rid of Walt, maybe for the good of everything/everyone that have been ruined by his actions. Or could just be for protection.

I think he's becoming so irrational and troubled by what they've done that he might feel that the one bit of good he can do to rectify their actions is take Walt down. Maybe he's coming to the conclusion that Walt got him into it all in the first place and he should be the one to blame. This being without even the knowledge of all the terrible things Walt has done to Jesse. But I can see him making a demand for the truth, before either trying to take him out himself, or spilling to Hank. There's a good chance that the ricin is to be used for Jesse, as it was always their thing. But Jesse will have to cross Walt in a really big way for Walt to decide to poison him.

Wormius
08-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Saul is the one that knows a bit too much about everything.. Why Walt told Saul about Mike is a bit perplexing. I am not sure if push came to shove that Saul wouldn't dish on Walt.

blankall
08-21-2013, 05:44 PM
I think Jesse would, actually. He has no loyalty to Walt anymore. They haven't worked together for months. Walt dropped off 5 million dollars of "blood money" that has been feeding on him mentally since episode 8. And he had his gun in his back pocket when Walt showed up, so it looks like he's been contemplating getting rid of Walt, maybe for the good of everything/everyone that have been ruined by his actions. Or could just be for protection.

I think he's becoming so irrational and troubled by what they've done that he might feel that the one bit of good he can do to rectify their actions is take Walt down. Maybe he's coming to the conclusion that Walt got him into it all in the first place and he should be the one to blame. This being without even the knowledge of all the terrible things Walt has done to Jesse. But I can see him making a demand for the truth, before either trying to take him out himself, or spilling to Hank. There's a good chance that the ricin is to be used for Jesse, as it was always their thing. But Jesse will have to cross Walt in a really big way for Walt to decide to poison him.

Why poison Jesse though? He's the kind of person with so few ties and protection, you could bury him in the dessert and no one would notice he was missing. The only 2 people he seems to interact with are his two stoner friends. They aren't the type likely to call the police, and Jesse is acting so irrationally, they would probably just assume he left town.

Ricin poisoning is the kind of thing you use in situations that require discretion and tact. Situations where Walt would have to take somebody out discretely.

MikePatton
08-21-2013, 08:05 PM
Why poison Jesse though? He's the kind of person with so few ties and protection, you could bury him in the dessert and no one would notice he was missing.

They would notice if they ate the dessert

Methanolic
08-21-2013, 08:31 PM
Breaking Bad quiz - Walter White or Shakespeare quote?

http://www.cbc.ca/books/2013/08/who-said-it-breaking-bads-walter-white-or-a-shakespearean-villain.html

Respectable 90% The last one was a bit hard to attribute to either Walter White or a character from Shakespeare.

Scored 90% Also, got this one wrong:

Q.6 "My God, the universe is random, it's not inevitable, it's simple chaos.”

Pooty
08-22-2013, 02:30 AM
A friend sent this to me on facebook, hopefully not fata. It's breaking bad as documented by the costume colours for each important character. Shows just how much detail Vince Gilligan and crew have delved into throughout this show. (In spoiler tags because it does include some key plot points.)

http://www.fastcodesign.com/1673264/an-epic-timeline-of-breaking-bads-wardrobe-colors#-5

malcolmk14
08-22-2013, 03:35 PM
I have a theory for how the season is going to go down.

In the past we have seen Walter kill people and then take traits of theirs after they're gone and make them his own. When he kills Crazy 8 he starts cutting the crusts off his sandwiches, and when he kills Mike he orders his next drink on the rocks like Mike used to do.

In the flash-forward in the Denny's, Walt is arranging his bacon on his plate into the number 52, something Skyler used to do for him on his birthday. He's also using an ID with the last name Lambert (Skyler and Marie's maiden name). I bet he kills Skyler (and maybe even Marie and Hank) before that last episode, and those are the traits he assumes of theirs.

I think the ricin is for Jesse.

getbak
08-22-2013, 03:58 PM
I have a theory for how the season is going to go down.

In the past we have seen Walter kill people and then take traits of theirs after they're gone and make them his own. When he kills Crazy 8 he starts cutting the crusts off his sandwiches, and when he kills Mike he orders his next drink on the rocks like Mike used to do.

In the flash-forward in the Denny's, Walt is arranging his bacon on his plate into the number 52, something Skyler used to do for him on his birthday. He's also using an ID with the last name Lambert (Skyler and Marie's maiden name). I bet he kills Skyler (and maybe even Marie and Hank) before that last episode, and those are the traits he assumes of theirs.

I think the ricin is for Jesse.

Using that idea, Jesse might already be dead...

http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/tumblr_mretcu75c91rmequvo1_500.jpg

Daradon
08-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Yikes!

Matata
08-22-2013, 04:22 PM

"Killed 10 guys in jail inside of 2 minutes. Just sayin'."

MrMastodonFarm
08-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Is Jesse even afraid of death at this point? Seems to welcome it.

Acey
08-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Lydia is Scottish?!

cIvi0nQFbb0

TurnedTheCorner
08-22-2013, 07:23 PM
So I only made it as far as the Season 3 premiere on my first watch. I tried two times to get past that, but wasn't interested. I resolved to watch this leading up to the series finale, but re-started from the Season 1 pilot.

I remember now how annoyed I was with the Season 2 manipulation with the post plane-crash footage. All of the ominous coloring, the burned stuffed animal missing an eye, the wrecked Aztec with the body bags next to it...it felt really cheap and manipulative again this time around, just like it did the first time.

I hope this kind of stuff isn't present the rest of the series.

Acey
08-22-2013, 08:20 PM
As an avid aviation enthusiast there's no way that I'm ever going to be happy with how an air disaster is portrayed, but I can assure you the slight misstep they made with those couple of scenes is no reason to bail on it. It gets pretty good. Really good.

Daradon
08-22-2013, 08:27 PM
I felt the plane crash may have been the worst part of the series myself. They did play on the viewer that something big happened to Walt's family, because of the meth, and then it ends up being this event that really had nothing to do with anything, and only was connected through a, for lack of a better word, coincidence.

That said, I didn't think it was terrible. Certainly didn't stop me from continuing to watch the series.

I also liked season 2 the best. I know most people liked 4 the best, and really all of the seasons were great. But two had some killer episodes. The introduction to Saul. The five days cooking in the desert. The reveal of Skyler finding out Walt's secret (or rather that he was hiding something big).

The cancer was still in play then, and I think there were some great dramatic scenes with that. I could really identify with Walt, and Cranston knocked it out of the park.

Lastly, Jane was pretty easy on the eyes. ;)

getbak
08-22-2013, 08:38 PM
The Belize tourism board invites the cast to "take a trip to Belize"... http://www.gadling.com/2013/08/22/tourism-board-breaking-bad-trip-to-beli/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fgadling+%28Gadli ng%29

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.gadling.com/media/2013/08/xbreaking-bad-tweet-580lz082213.png.pagespeed.ic.FtiuUwLhs4.png

VANFLAMESFAN
08-22-2013, 10:39 PM
Am I the only one who thought the plane crash thing was brilliant?

All season long, we're led to believe or guess one thing, but they totally throw a wrench into that plan at the last second and have this major catastrophe that was totally unrelated to anything in the season but at the same time, in large part Walt's fault.

I thought it was fantastic. And then I read the stuff about the names of those episodes that had the fast forward at the beginning......just awesome.

Put me in the big thumbs up to Season 2 group.

TurnedTheCorner
08-22-2013, 11:39 PM
It wasn't bad, per se. It just felt cheap.

Anyway, just finished the IFT episode. lolling

Daradon
08-23-2013, 02:30 AM
Am I the only one who thought the plane crash thing was brilliant?

All season long, we're led to believe or guess one thing, but they totally throw a wrench into that plan at the last second and have this major catastrophe that was totally unrelated to anything in the season but at the same time, in large part Walt's fault.

I thought it was fantastic. And then I read the stuff about the names of those episodes that had the fast forward at the beginning......just awesome.

Put me in the big thumbs up to Season 2 group.

It felt kinda forced. Won't say cheap, but along those lines.

The best twists are the ones you can look back and say, 'I should have seen that!' This was not that at all. It was kinda forced.

But that could just be me.

As I mentioned, I didn't think it was horrible. It didn't turn me off, and I still thought season two was the best. I was just disappointed with the resolution of the flash forwards.

Brewmaster
08-23-2013, 09:03 AM
I was not a big fan of season 2 and the plane crash twist. It was one of the few parts of the series that felt like the writers dropped the ball. They painted themselves into a corner with the flash forwards and the resolution really had nothing to do with the characters or storyline of the series. I also felt like there were some painful episodes where nearly every character was unlikeable. Season 3 is where the series really took off in my opinion.

corporatejay
08-23-2013, 10:44 AM
I was not a big fan of season 2 and the plane crash twist. It was one of the few parts of the series that felt like the writers dropped the ball. They painted themselves into a corner with the flash forwards and the resolution really had nothing to do with the characters or storyline of the series. I also felt like there were some painful episodes where nearly every character was unlikeable. Season 3 is where the series really took off in my opinion.

What are you talking about? How did they a) drop the ball; and b) paint themselves into a corner?

Also, it was Jesse's girlfiend's father who caused the plane crash....how did that have nothing to do with the characters?

Wormius
08-23-2013, 11:35 AM
What are you talking about? How did they a) drop the ball; and b) paint themselves into a corner?

Also, it was Jesse's girlfiend's father who caused the plane crash....how did that have nothing to do with the characters?

Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't write off the whole season because of that. I think it shows the wider extent of the damage that Walt was causing / contributing to by making meth. It's not just Walt happily cooking meth, without it having real consequences on other people.

I think Vince was trying to get at how wide reaching it is and how it impacts a lot of people. Walt shouldn't be portrayed as innocent in all of this, just because he wasn't some front line pusher or dealer.

Erick Estrada
08-23-2013, 12:27 PM
I kind of feel the series has gone downhill post Gus. It's still okay but a lot of boring episodes IMO and not as amped up as it was in seasons 3 & 4. It's just not as fun when Walt is the villain.

corporatejay
08-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I agree. I wouldn't write off the whole season because of that. I think it shows the wider extent of the damage that Walt was causing / contributing to by making meth. It's not just Walt happily cooking meth, without it having real consequences on other people.

I think Vince was trying to get at how wide reaching it is and how it impacts a lot of people. Walt shouldn't be portrayed as innocent in all of this, just because he wasn't some front line pusher or dealer.

That was the exact purpose of that. Kill Krazy-8, Tuco, whatever. Even Jane...she was a junkie probably was going to die anyway.

It was arguably the first time the audience was told... this is a bad dude whose actions have consequences that hurt actual people.

corporatejay
08-23-2013, 12:50 PM
I kind of feel the series has gone downhill post Gus. It's still okay but a lot of boring episodes IMO and not as amped up as it was in seasons 3 & 4. It's just not as fun when Walt is the villain.

This series earns its payoffs. Sometimes there has to be a slow burn in order for the payoff to mean something. True Blood, for example, is a show that is complete garbage and never earns anything. Cliffhangers are resolved in two seconds the following week, characters act out of character all the time to satisfy driving whatever stupid plot point they are thinking about that week.

I'm not sure what you've found boring so far anyway (i.e. specific examples.

Erick Estrada
08-23-2013, 01:23 PM
This series earns its payoffs. Sometimes there has to be a slow burn in order for the payoff to mean something. True Blood, for example, is a show that is complete garbage and never earns anything. Cliffhangers are resolved in two seconds the following week, characters act out of character all the time to satisfy driving whatever stupid plot point they are thinking about that week.

I'm not sure what you've found boring so far anyway (i.e. specific examples.

Skyler has been beyond annoying all season and Jesse feeling sorry for himself it getting played out as well. The show was always best when Walter and Jessie were making meth and now the show is kind of slow as we know Hank has caught on and it's a matter of when he will arrest Walt. I think the last episode was a good one but like I said before Gus was such a good villain that there is a massive void in the show without him kind of like how Dexter has never been as good since season 4 and Arthur Mitchell.

trackercowe
08-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Well a little kid was brutally murdered, and Jesse's real father figure Mike is missing and likely dead (in his mind at least). Based on what we've seen from Jesse in the past it makes complete sense why he is in a state of depression at the moment. It would have been poor writing if he had gotten over these issues as quickly as you are hoping for. That and in the past we have seen how easily Jesse can fall into a state of depression, so this all fits his character perfectly.

Right thread.

Erick Estrada
08-23-2013, 01:56 PM
Well a little kid was brutally murdered, and Jesse's real father figure Mike is missing and likely dead (in his mind at least). Based on what we've seen from Jesse in the past it makes complete sense why he is in a state of depression at the moment. It would have been poor writing if he had gotten over these issues as quickly as you are hoping for. That and in the past we have seen how easily Jesse can fall into a state of depression, so this all fits his character perfectly.

Right thread.

I'm not saying it's been crap. I have been a little underwhelmed at times that's all. It's just my opinion and I know a lot of you feel every episode is brilliant so we will just agree to disagree.

Brewmaster
08-23-2013, 03:02 PM

The air plane crash storyline just felt forced to me. They had been building up to a big finale by showing body bags and evidence being picked out of the pool all season. Then the last episode came along and it turned out to be some random mid-air collision that happened to drop debris and bodies onto the Whites' house. They really could have left that entire part out of the series and it wouldn't have made any difference to the characters or the storyline.

speede5
08-23-2013, 03:22 PM
They really could have left that entire part out of the series and it wouldn't have made any difference to the characters or the storyline.
Are we watching the same show? Girl OD's on Walt's product, Walt lets girl die, distraught dad causes plane crash. How does that not make a difference to the storyline?

Radio
08-23-2013, 10:20 PM
The plane crash was far from random.

Daradon
08-23-2013, 11:00 PM
Are we watching the same show? Girl OD's on Walt's product, Walt lets girl die, distraught dad causes plane crash. How does that not make a difference to the storyline?

Jane didn't die on Walt's product. They were doing heroin, not meth.

Well, she started her backslide on meth, but they were doing heroin the days before and the day she died.

It's heroin that makes you pass out, meth ramps you up. And that's where the danger in throwing up in your sleep comes from. Remember, she even told Jesse that the first time he tried heroin. Basic upper/downer stuff here people. All you people who thanked his post can take it back. ;)

VANFLAMESFAN
08-23-2013, 11:13 PM

Weren't they doing heroin back then? Or was it the blue?

Wormius
08-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Jane didn't die on Walt's product. They were doing heroin, not meth.

Well, she started her backslide on meth, but they were doing heroin the days before and the day she died.

It's heroin that makes you pass out, meth ramps you up. And that's where the danger in throwing up in your sleep comes from. Remember, she even told Jesse that the first time he tried heroin. Basic upper/downer stuff here people. All you people who thanked his post can take it back. ;)

It was still Walt's fault. He pressured Jesse to push more of the meth on recovering addicts, and lead him to meet and cause Jane to relapse.

Wormius
08-23-2013, 11:35 PM
Weren't they doing heroin back then? Or was it the blue?

Was it blue back then? I thought it was still clear before they got the methylamine.

TurnedTheCorner
08-23-2013, 11:37 PM
It was blue before season one ended.

Ark2
08-24-2013, 07:29 AM
It was still Walt's fault. He pressured Jesse to push more of the meth on recovering addicts, and lead him to meet and cause Jane to relapse.

No, I think you've got Jesse's girlfriend's mixed up. Jane was his next door neighbour/landlord. Andrea was the one he met in rehab. And Walt never pressured Jesse to push meth on the recovering addicts, that was all Jesse's idea as he was working for Gus at that point.

FlamesAddiction
08-24-2013, 08:17 AM
Am I the only one who thinks part Walt's decision to let nature take it's course with Jane was because Walt saw the harm she was doing to Jesse? I always had the impression that Walt saw the downward spiral Jesse was on and that was the tipping point. Jane was one of the more evil characters in the show IMO.

Walt had his own selfish reasons for wanting her out of the picture, but if she was a good person, I doubt he would have killed her. Just like he refuses to kill Hank even though it would solve his issues now..

dirk diggler
08-24-2013, 10:20 AM
[QUOTE=FlamesAddiction;4368675]Am I the only one who thinks part Walt's decision to let nature take it's course with Jane was because Walt saw the harm she was doing to Jesse? I always had the impression that Walt saw the downward spiral Jesse was on and that was the tipping point. Jane was one of the more evil characters in the show IMO.

Walt had his own selfish reasons for wanting her out of the picture, but if she was a good person, I doubt he would have killed her. Just like he refuses to kill Hank even though it would solve his issues now.

it wasn't even that she was bad for Jesse, she threatened Walt and had basically said she would blackmail him. with her knowing what she did, it was an easy decision for Walt to let her die...

Daradon
08-24-2013, 02:21 PM
Am I the only one who thinks part Walt's decision to let nature take it's course with Jane was because Walt saw the harm she was doing to Jesse? I always had the impression that Walt saw the downward spiral Jesse was on and that was the tipping point. Jane was one of the more evil characters in the show IMO.

Walt had his own selfish reasons for wanting her out of the picture, but if she was a good person, I doubt he would have killed her. Just like he refuses to kill Hank even though it would solve his issues now..

What the frig? Evil? She was just a recovering addict. How was she evil? Jesse had every right to say no to any drugs she offered just as she should have said no when he went to go get high and she wanted to help him.

It was just an unfortunate incident with two people who couldn't say no.

She never sold any drugs, she never killed anyone, she was just struggling and a little messed up. And may I mention, a year and a half clean until Jesse entered her life. This is not to blame her backslide on him, or completely on him, she should have had the sense to leave the house when he got high even though she wanted to help him get through Combo dying. Ultimately it's her life and her responsibility. But she was clean before that.

Man, again it seems like the female character gets looked at in a far harsher light than the male characters. I really wonder sometimes. I could go on, but I'll leave it alone and get back to Walt's actions.

Walt definitely did it for selfish reasons. And even if he wanted to make sure she had less influence on him, he definitely could have helped her in that moment. Who just let's a person die, especially when saving them takes almost no effort?

In fact, if he HAD saved her, that might have been her wake up call, or his. They might have looked at Walt differently, listened to him a bit. So much good could have come from it. But he let her die.

I do agree he had real concern for Jesse and the drugs then. But it wasn't his only concern or desire there. And even so, he could have approached it WAY differently and better.

EDIT: As for the blackmail bit, well addicted people do funny things when they want to get high. Funny enough, she wasn't really in the wrong though, it WAS Jesse's money. Walt wanting to hold it till Jesse got clean was a good thing, but it wasn't his decision to make ultimately. If you owe me money for services rendered, or based on an agreement, you have to pay me for those services, regardless of what I am doing in my life. I'll agree that Jesse probably shouldn't have gotten the money in that state of mind, and it was a good gesture to try and get him fixed up beforehand, but ultimately it was Jesse's money.

But Jane's actions are hardly evil. At worst their a junkie lashing out, and at best, they're actually quite fair, as it was his money.

Daradon
08-24-2013, 02:36 PM

Was it blue back then? I thought it was still clear before they got the methylamine.

As above, Walt never pressured Jesse to sell to addicts AND it had nothing to do with Jane. That was Jesse's idea and he stopped as soon as he had feelings for the second girlfriend Andrea. Who of course is Brock's mother.

The only thing Walt pressured Jesse to do when selling was expand the territory, which is what got Combo shot and started the problems with the two 'bad' dealers who ended up being in Gus's employ. Well he pressured Jesse to 'take care' of the guys who ripped off Skinny Pete too.

'You got jacked by a guy named Spooge?' Jesse to SP. lol

Secondly they got their methylamine before the second deal with Tuco, way back in season 1.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Walt isn't a bad dude. I think he's obviously the number 1 villain by this point. Just trying to clear up a few things.

FlamesAddiction
08-24-2013, 05:50 PM
What the frig? Evil? She was just a recovering addict. How was she evil? Jesse had every right to say no to any drugs she offered just as she should have said no when he went to go get high and she wanted to help him.

It was just an unfortunate incident with two people who couldn't say no.

She never sold any drugs, she never killed anyone, she was just struggling and a little messed up. And may I mention, a year and a half clean until Jesse entered her life. This is not to blame her backslide on him, or completely on him, she should have had the sense to leave the house when he got high even though she wanted to help him get through Combo dying. Ultimately it's her life and her responsibility. But she was clean before that.

If she was a recovering addict, then it stands to reason she knew how evil heroin addiction is. Facilitating anyone to take heroin is a terrible thing to do to anyone, and I would say pretty evil.

Man, again it seems like the female character gets looked at in a far harsher light than the male characters. I really wonder sometimes. I could go on, but I'll leave it alone and get back to Walt's actions.

I don't think I'm the only one around here that gets a little offended every time you try to make into something sexist anytime someone doesn't like a female character in this show, so maybe cool it on that claim. If anything, it would be sexist to give her a pass due to her gender.. She was a mean spirited person who wanted Jesse for his money and what it could get her. At that point, Walt cared way more for Jesse's welfare than she did.

Walt definitely did it for selfish reasons. And even if he wanted to make sure she had less influence on him, he definitely could have helped her in that moment. Who just let's a person die, especially when saving them takes almost no effort?

In fact, if he HAD saved her, that might have been her wake up call, or his. They might have looked at Walt differently, listened to him a bit. So much good could have come from it. But he let her die.

They were in such a downward spiral at that time, I doubt it would have been a wake up call. Junkies don't tend to rationalize that easy. If anything Jesse would have been pissed about Walt being there at all.

Bertuzzied
08-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Man this show is insane. I don't know who to cheer for??! Walt or Hank!

It's like the Canucks playing the Oilers in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals!!

Damn you Vince Gilligan!

Daradon
08-25-2013, 01:31 AM
If she was a recovering addict, then it stands to reason she knew how evil heroin addiction is. Facilitating anyone to take heroin is a terrible thing to do to anyone, and I would say pretty evil.

I don't think I'm the only one around here that gets a little offended every time you try to make into something sexist anytime someone doesn't like a female character in this show, so maybe cool it on that claim. If anything, it would be sexist to give her a pass due to her gender.. She was a mean spirited person who wanted Jesse for his money and what it could get her. At that point, Walt cared way more for Jesse's welfare than she did.

They were in such a downward spiral at that time, I doubt it would have been a wake up call. Junkies don't tend to rationalize that easy. If anything Jesse would have been pissed about Walt being there at all.

Herion addiction is a thing. It can't be 'evil'. It it is generally used to indicate immoral behavior, which would indicate a person making a willful choice.

As for Jane offering it to Jesse, that's what addicts do. People always want to share their vices with other people. It justifies their behavior. People offer other people smokes, offer other people drinks, enjoy doing these things more when in groups. It's not really that different, it's just far more serious. It's dumb, it's shortsighted, but it's hardly evil, and as I just mentioned it's quite normal human behavior, everyone does it to a certain extent.

As for Jane wanting him for his money, she only found out about that at the end, so that doesn't really make any sense. They had been together and had strong feelings for a while. I'm not justifying her behavior because of sex, I'm not justifying it at all. I've said it was stupid. But it's not evil. Not evil in the same way people have killed each other in the show, or used each other in the show. If anything I've only made a reasoning that she was an addict, but I made the same reasoning for Jesse, so that's obviously not sexist. It's more an understanding of how addiction works.

As for your comments about sexism or commenting on it, I already said I wouldn't go further, but since you threw it back in my face, let me retort. It gets a little tiring to hear nearly every female character get ripped on as being annoying, or stupid, or evil, when the same characteristics (often even worse) barely gets noticed in the male characters. It's more, 'he's so badass', or 'he's just doing what needs to be done', or 'he's just having some fun'. It's not just here, it's all over the place, and was even brought up in an article at no, not a feminist website, but Rolling Stone magazine.

It's a ridiculous double standard and most guys can't even see it. As for whether you are participating or not, I'm not saying that you are. I was just making a general comment looking at the thread, and the attitudes of viewers as a whole. Not singling anyone out. Though evil (most evil character, in fact) is an awfully strong word to use for an addict who screws up.

As for 'every time "I" suggest sexism etc...' I think I may have done that once regarding this show. And not even strongly or in a mean fashion. It has however been brought up by other people in this thread and others for other shows, so maybe it feels like I've done it a lot.

Hells Bells
08-25-2013, 02:59 AM
Herion addiction is a thing. It can't be 'evil'. It it is generally used to indicate immoral behavior, which would indicate a person making a willful choice.

People that molest children are making a willful choice and I'd certainly call that evil.

As for 'every time "I" suggest sexism etc...' I think I may have done that once regarding this show. And not even strongly or in a mean fashion. It has however been brought up by other people in this thread and others for other shows, so maybe it feels like I've done it a lot.

Funny you have a problem understanding the hate for these female characters yet the actresses that play these characters understand perfectly why so many fans hate them.

Skylar and Betty (Mad Men) are two perfect examples and I've heard both say in numerous interviews that they understand completely why most fans despise their characters.

If a show is centered around a female character then I'm sure people complain about the men in their lives.

Regulator75
08-25-2013, 06:05 AM
Anna Gunn writes a NY Times article on the hatred that Skyler has received.

As an actress, I realize that viewers are entitled to have whatever feelings they want about the characters they watch. But as a human being, I’m concerned that so many people react to Skyler with such venom. Could it be that they can’t stand a woman who won’t suffer silently or “stand by her man”? That they despise her because she won’t back down or give up? Or because she is, in fact, Walter’s equal?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/opinion/i-have-a-character-issue.html

Ark2
08-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Anna Gunn writes a NY Times article on the hatred that Skyler has received.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/opinion/i-have-a-character-issue.html

I despised Skylar because she cheated on Walt. Now that that has kind of faded, I don't mind her as much. People look at Walt now and see someone who is truly evil and no longer have sympathy for him, but going back to seasons 2 and 3, he was still a very sympathetic character and Skylar's affair with Ted was just terrible. Beyond that though, I don't find her to be a particularly interesting character. When compared to people like Walt, Jesse, Gus, Mike, Hank, etc., she is just boring and tends to take away screen time from these more compelling characters. In contract, Game of Thrones has several interesting female characters that I really like, so I don't think it is fair to call someone's negative feelings towards her sexist.

Edit: Also, after reading the article, I find it kind of suspect that Anna Gunn completely omits her character's affair. Also kind of dubious to suggest that male characters don't inspire the same kind of vitriol. I don't think there has ever been a character in TV history that I have hated as much as Joffrey Baratheon.

Methanolic
08-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Edit: Also, after reading the article, I find it kind of suspect that Anna Gunn completely omits her character's affair.

^ No kidding! I read the article, kinda ridiculous that she paints the Skylar haters with the same broad brush and states the hate is because Skylar has a "backbone of steel". gimmie a break.

Anna Gunn: "But I finally realized that most people’s hatred of Skyler had little to do with me and a lot to do with their own perception of women and wives. Because Skyler didn’t conform to a comfortable ideal of the archetypical female, she had become a kind of Rorschach test for society, a measure of our attitudes toward gender."

ranchlandsselling
08-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Brutal Sykler write up.

Totally omits the affair as others have said. She's annying as heck. I actually have been plowing through seasons 1 and 2 in between and she was actually fine in season 1 and slowly getting worse in season 2.

Also she's gotting progressvily less attractive as the seasons have gone on. I don't find her attractive regardless but she's put on weight, dresses horribly, banged Ted, all her scenes are nagging and complaining. She's not disliked because she's represents a strong back boned woman she's disliked because in a 45 minute show the only screen time she gets is nagging. It represents everything that I dislike about my wife and none of the positives. NAG NAG NAG. There's no good shown about her because the show's not about her. I'm sure maybe when it's just her and Walt Jr. out for a stroll and hang out mother and daughter she's perfectly fine. Thankfully that's not part of the show.

VANFLAMESFAN
08-25-2013, 01:54 PM
I think she's speaking to the sheer venom of the comments, not the number of people who dislike her character. When people are stating that she(Anna, not skylar) needs to die, that's just ridiculous. It's a tv show folks, lets all calm down.

Methanolic
08-25-2013, 02:36 PM
^ Agreed, She made it clear that there are weirdos out there that can't seem to separate the character from the actor. Apparently the young actor Jack Gleeson (Joffery Baratheon) suffers the same kind of hatred in real life, although I imagine his situation is far worse than Anna's.

Where she failed was claiming the reason for the hate was that Skylar is a strong willed woman instead of acknowledging Skylar's bad traits, the real reason for the hatred, such as her infidelity and relentless naggery. The fact that She chose to not point out these characteristics makes her comments that the hate is gender based just dumb.

maybe She doesn't watch the show?

FlamesAddiction
08-25-2013, 02:45 PM
The whole idea that there is substantial gender bias is idiotic. I didn't like Mike either. Nor am I really digging 'emo' Jesse these days. I must hate men now I guess.

I actually don't mind Skylar as much as some. She is a bit of a buzzkill and I don't find her side stories interesting enough that I look forward to her scenes, but I don't hate the character. In a weird way, I kind of like Marie because I find her prudeness at least comical. Jane was wicked though IMO and in the context of the story, he was right for letting her die. Not just to save himself, but to also help Jesse.

Methanolic
08-25-2013, 03:41 PM
I don't mind Skylar that much either at this point. Her confrontation with Lydia showed a different and likeable side as She was allying with Walt and the business. She did really get under my skin however during the period where She kicked Walt out of the house, found her to be somewhat unreasonable at times.

And yeah, the subtle humor when it comes to Marie is great. All the purple really makes me chuckle, I think her toaster in the kitchen is even purple.

DownhillGoat
08-25-2013, 04:07 PM
All the purple really makes me chuckle, I think her toaster in the kitchen is even purple.
By around season 3 the purple started to irritate me to no end. There was a purple bag of coffee beans. That was my tipping point.

Methanolic
08-25-2013, 05:48 PM
By around season 3 the purple started to irritate me to no end. There was a purple bag of coffee beans. That was my tipping point.

Ha Ha!!!

http://i40.tinypic.com/iq92et.jpg

Yamer
08-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Another brilliant episode. I knew Jesse was going to figure that out. I'm now pretty sure that Jesse isn't going to flipped by Hank, he's going to try and kill Walt. I'm guessing it won't be successful...

Arbitor
08-25-2013, 08:54 PM
I think Todd's group is going to get caught and he'll confess about Walt. Whether they get caught by the DEA or the Czechs remains to be seen.

I don't see Jesse hurting Walt directly, but maybe indirectly by inadvertently killing Skylar.

nik-
08-25-2013, 09:00 PM
Amazing episode. The video monologue, the desert scene, the ending. All pretty great.

Mike F
08-25-2013, 09:03 PM
http://i.qkme.me/3p3m40.jpg

jammies
08-25-2013, 10:13 PM
That confession of Walt's was brilliant. So was the whole episode. I keep thinking they can't ramp it up any higher, then they prove me wrong.

JeanLucPicard
08-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Jesse go ape ####. Jesse mad.

calgarywinning
08-26-2013, 12:15 AM
I thought Saul Goodman was going to being going to Belize. The clock was winding down and I was biting that it might be goodbye.

Did anyone else notice that the lawyer's name is a synonym to It'S All Good Man..

I am going to bet that Jesse will have to die, which I prefer to him flipping on Walt. There relationship is obviously completely destroyed which is sad. They made a great duo.

A++ episode. Liked the recounting of the train theft as well.

djsFlames
08-26-2013, 01:51 AM
These writers and Vince continue to amaze me.

Every week I've tried countless predictions in my head for what's happening next, only to be foiled and simultaneously amazed. Strangely, I was close for the first half of this episode, but the second half just blew it all out of the water. Watching Hank and Marie's faces just watching that confession was priceless. To me it was a confession of Walt truly breaking bad, as he has likely forever fractured whatever relationship their family had, for the sake of forcing Hank to back off. The subtle humor sprinkled in here and there (the restaurant). The recollection of the robbery, which most shows never seem to do (always on to the next thing) it gives us a broader perspective on the people surrounding the current meth business and brings light to Heisenberg's legendary status amongst them now.

And the build up to Jesse finally...FINALLY putting all the puzzle pieces together. So, so much build up to this moment. You just knew he had a bigger part to play when it was all said and done. He's seemingly been looking forever for something to blame for all his misery and misfortune. Cause he knows that most of his actions have been out of care for others, yet they've all come to be hurt in some way. He's suspected Walt many times, but never been able to really Know that Walt was truly the one that screwed him, so he could never really let it out on him. So he's only had himself to blame, hence all the depression. But now that's all changed, and now we're seeing the strength of all his bottled emotions come out. Just amazing how it all built up to that moment with the cigarette box. And because Walt jerked him around for so long, funny enough it'll be his long time partner to be the one to change everything for him. I say this because I think that if he doesn't do something drastic at the house, Jesse's probably going to run into Walt Jr. face to face, and open a whole new can of worms for Walt.

Maritime Q-Scout
08-26-2013, 07:16 AM
If you think that Jesse will hurt a member of Walt's family in the same way that Walt hurt Brock I think he'd target Holly over Walt Jr. Not sure why, perhaps because of how defenceless a baby truly is.

Secondly, do you think Hank might parallel Mike? Cop that broke bad, you don't know why, but lives by a struck code of ethics/honour. Perhaps Mine was in the same position Hank is in now, then was forced to work for Fring because of his family.

Lasy, I never realized Hank didn't know Walt Piaf for his medical bills.

FlamesAddiction
08-26-2013, 08:13 AM
The only issue I had was Jesse figuring out the cigarette thing so quickly. It just doesn't seem that likely to me that he would put it together right away, if at all. He thought they found the ricin cigarette in the Roomba.

The thing Jesse doesn't understand and has no perspective on, is that if he stayed in servitude to Fring, it would have been only a matter of time until he was made expendable. Walt's ruse probably saved Jesse in the long run.

fredr123
08-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Who watches Walt Jr. and Holly during the day? Kind of bugs me they only show up once in a while. Seems like Walter and Skyler spend a lot of time at the car wash. Walt doesn't want either of them going over to the Hank and Marie's so where are they when Jesse busts into the house dousing the place with gasoline?

corporatejay
08-26-2013, 08:51 AM
The only issue I had was Jesse figuring out the cigarette thing so quickly. It just doesn't seem that likely to me that he would put it together right away, if at all. He thought they found the ricin cigarette in the Roomba.

The thing Jesse doesn't understand and has no perspective on, is that if he stayed in servitude to Fring, it would have been only a matter of time until he was made expendable. Walt's ruse probably saved Jesse in the long run.

1. He always suspected Walt, even after the fact, he was just looking for proof.

2. Mike was like his real second "father" and probably would have protected him.

FlamesAddiction
08-26-2013, 09:03 AM
1. He always suspected Walt, even after the fact, he was just looking for proof.

He suspected Walt at first, but after they found the planted ricin decoy in the Roomba, Jesse started crying because he felt bad that he almost killed Walt over it. That suggested pretty strongly that they suspicion subsided and he believed it wasn't Walt. He always suspected him for killing Mike, but that is a different issue.

2. Mike was like his real second "father" and probably would have protected him.

Mike was a servant to Gus and there is no way he would have protected Jesse if push came to shove. He couldn't even protect him from Walt. He gave him advice to look after himself, but he didn't do too much to force the issue. Mike killed people for Fring... that was his job. If Fring tired of Jesse's attitude and drug use, I doubt that the Mike character would break loyalty with Fring.

Jesse couldn't stay clean for more than a few weeks at a time, and if he struggled with the bad things that happened with his partnership with Walt, he would have totally collapsed mentally having to work for a total psychopath like Fring.

Getting Jesse back on side with Walt was the only way to ensure that they would both survive at the time for at least a little longer. It's too bad that Brock had to get sick for a couple of days, but big picture-wise, it was a necessary evil that Jesse is unable to see. Walt is a chemist and would have known the right amount of poison to administer without seriously harming the kid.

Just to add, Brock was poisoned with Lily of the Valley, so I still don't see how Jesse would have pieced it together so quickly that the cigarette switching implicates Walt for poisoning Brock with Lily of the Valley. It seems like the writers wanted Jesse to find out and kind of forced it a little too much.

MoneyGuy
08-26-2013, 09:13 AM
I haven't watched this series but reading all of the great comments and now I hope they rebroadcast the entire series as a marathon.

calumniate
08-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Great episode. My only nitpick was to do with Walt's totally unbelievable 'threat'. I mean, if Hank was the head of this drug empire, why would he need to borrow $175k from Walt? Yeah.. right.

Of course Hank got himself into more trouble with procedure in dealing with Jesse, so it's kind of a moot point now. I just don't think you could calumniate Hank as a drug lord when he'd been showing up to work everyday and working on the very cases he was supposedly involved with.

speede5
08-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Just to add, Brock was poisoned with Lily of the Valley, so I still don't see how Jesse would have pieced it together so quickly that the cigarette switching implicates Walt for poisoning Brock with Lily of the Valley. It seems like the writers wanted Jesse to find out and kind of forced it a little too much.

This bugged me too.

Loved the confession, that was well played.

Hank is screwed, he knows that even if the truth comes out he is finished, the court may presume innocence but people presume guilt.

Tinordi
08-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Yeah it was a stretch in that episode to write in J esse figuring out the cigarette thing.

It's never really explained how he pieces it together.

Oling_Roachinen
08-26-2013, 09:44 AM

To be fair Jesse had already figured it out before. When he confronted Walt in Season 4 about the poisoning of Brock, Walt had asked him how he would have got the ricin if they didn't see each other that day. Jesse says that he was called into Saul's and the switch was made when he was patted down. Walt convinces him that's crazy.

Now that Huell had swiped his weed he realizes that Huell is a pickpocketer and draws the connection. There's a stretch but he's obviously been affected by his past and probably spent a lot of time brooding on Brock and the young boy Todd killed.

For the record, I zoomed through the episode (season 4, episode 12) and Huell very aggressively pats down Jesse when he enters the building and afterwards Huell puts his hand into his own pocket as though he had lifted something.

MrMastodonFarm
08-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Yeah it was a stretch in that episode to write in J esse figuring out the cigarette thing.

This is just another one of those things that shouldn't need to be explained out slowly, all the hints are there.

Jesse previously suspected one of Saul's guys from lifting the ricin cigarette from his pocket, he was talked out of this by Walt as he manipulated him into thinking it was Gus who poisoned Brock. As Jesse was leaving Saul's office in last nights episode Huell blocked Jesse slightly from exiting the office, saying "excuse me!" and lifting the baggie of joints from Jesse's pocket.

As Jesse was waiting for the vacuum salesmen, he opened his pack of cigarettes, noticed his joints were also missing and quickly pieced together that he was correct all along about Saul lifting the ricin.

It wasn't explained out but it was pretty obvious that's how he pieced it all together.

Oling_Roachinen
08-26-2013, 09:56 AM

Jesse was close to killing Walt because he was convinced that he had taken the ricin from him and poisoned Brock. He had to have come up with some way for Walt to grab the ricin from him that day, yet they never met each other. So he (correctly) figured it was Huell while being patted down while at Saul's. This is all discussed in the confrontation halfway through the season 4 episode 12.

Jesse had his hand on the trigger and was going to shoot someone close to him. That moment and his thoughts at the time have probably stuck with him. So as he's become depressed and is thinking through his past he had to have remembered the time he nearly killed Mr. White because he thought Huell had pickpocketted him. Now all of a sudden he realizes Huell is an accomplished pickpocketer and the dots start to connect, like Mr. White finding the ricin in the roomba.

MrMastodonFarm
08-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Jesse was close to killing Walt because he was convinced that he had taken the ricin from him and poisoned Brock. He had to have come up with some way for Walt to grab the ricin from him that day, yet they never met each other. So he (correctly) figured it was Huell while being patted down while at Saul's. This is all discussed in the confrontation halfway through the season 4 episode 12.

Jesse had his hand on the trigger and was going to shoot someone close to him. That moment and his thoughts at the time have probably stuck with him. So as he's become depressed and is thinking through his past he had to have remembered the time he nearly killed Mr. White because he thought Huell had pickpocketted him. Now all of a sudden he realizes Huell is an accomplished pickpocketer and the dots start to connect, like Mr. White finding the ricin in the roomba.

Exactly.

Also we have to remember that the entire series has taken place in roughly a years time (minus flash forward). These accusations Jesse had about Walt in regards to Brock are still very fresh in his mind. It wouldn't take much for it to trigger again. It's been a month or two tops, not several years since Jesse had a gun pointed at Mr. White's head.

MrMastodonFarm
08-26-2013, 10:00 AM
I haven't watched this series but reading all of the great comments and now I hope they rebroadcast the entire series as a marathon.

Really?

Netflix.com

FlamesAddiction
08-26-2013, 10:06 AM
But Brock wasn't poisoned with the ricin, so whether or not Walt was responsible for stealing the ricin from Jesse, had nothing to do with Brock being poisoned.

It seems far fetched that Jesse finds his cigarettes switched and then goes from that, to having the ricin stolen, to having... Brock poisoned by Walt with Lily of the Valley? All within about 10 seconds of realizing his dope was missing.

There is a big gap in there. I understand that the show only has a few episodes left to close everything out so they need to make a few leaps, but this one seem a bit much for me.

Fire
08-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Who watches Walt Jr. and Holly during the day? Kind of bugs me they only show up once in a while. Seems like Walter and Skyler spend a lot of time at the car wash. Walt doesn't want either of them going over to the Hank and Marie's so where are they when Jesse busts into the house dousing the place with gasoline?

I was wondering the same thing. Won't anyone think of the children!

Oling_Roachinen
08-26-2013, 10:10 AM
Great episode. My only nitpick was to do with Walt's totally unbelievable 'threat'. I mean, if Hank was the head of this drug empire, why would he need to borrow $175k from Walt? Yeah.. right.
If Hank was a head of a drug empire it's the exact type of thing he would do. You can't just come up with $200,000.00 unaccounted for in case the law starts looking at your finance.

And then what is he supposed to say when asked if he knew his medical bills were being paid through Walt's drug money? "No, I didn't even know Walter was paying for it"? That's not going to do him any favours in that battle. Like he said, it was the final nail in the coffin.

Tinordi
08-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Here's a good explanation of Jesse's epiphany:
Actually, at first, I didn't believe it. Those closing few minutes, terrifying and kinetic as they were, for me came with a nagging sense of, Oh, come on. Jesse making the sudden connection between the pot pickpocketing and the ricin cigarette scanned as a TV-show implausibility of the worst kind: not merely a cosmic coincidence--that would have been fine, Breaking Bad thrives on cosmic coincidence--but the short-circuiting of a character's internal workings for plot convenience.

But thinking about it more... I was wrong. It makes sense. First of all, realizing that you've been conned--no matter how small the swindle--disorients profoundly. Reaching into your pocket expecting something, only to find it was lifted without your detection, is exactly the sort of thing that gets you thinking about all the times in your past when items have disappeared from your person. Aaron Paul played the slow-dawning epiphany well; you could see him silently making a series of mental connections, each one more horrifying than the last.

More importantly, though, the writers have earned this twist. Basically, Jesse has spent the entirety of this half season stewing with the knowledge that his involvement with Walter White has wrecked his life. Tonight's episode opened with Hank probing Jesse's victimhood at the hands of Heisenberg; that exquisitely suspenseful scene in the desert showed just how much Jesse feels--rightly--he's Walt's pawn. So it's not only that Jesse's agitated. It's that he's never been more alive to Walt's monstrousness and manipulation.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/08/-em-breaking-bad-em-was-jesses-big-epiphany-believable/279017/

As this was a good section:

The reckoning seems near, though. At this point, we can see Breaking Bad encircling Walter with three agents of retribution for three kinds of transgression. The first agent is the Schraders, with Hank almost neglecting his role as enforcer of law to instead be a warrior for family. When Walt mentions the word "right" at the dinner table, Hank's outrage is at the personal-level irony: "Lying to your son and to all of us, is that right?" He and Marie are motivated not by the specific awfulness of Walt's actions but by the broader awfulness of how deeply, recklessly, and callously Walt deceived and endangered the people closest to him--a willingness to betray never made more explicit than by that chilling/genius confession tape.

The second avenger, we now know, is Jesse Pinkman, acting on behalf of the innocents Walt has harmed. Tonight it became clear Jesse knew Mike's fate, but the killing of a killer--as lovely and hilarious a killer as Mike was--isn't enough to turn him against Walt. A child's poisoning, though, is too much. As with Hank, personal wounds are in the combustible mix here, but then again Jesse has long been disproportionately wounded whenever Heisenberg's actions tramples an innocent: Jane, Drew Sharp, etc. It's fitting, then, that Jesse's retribution would be against Walt's home, a symbol of all Walt has sought to protect.

With that final (sensational) gas-can scene, the show wants us to suspect that we've witnessed the event that leads to the devastation that had befallen the White residence in the "Blood Money" flash-forward. And perhaps we did--the next installment may well open with Jesse lighting a match and spray-painting "HEISENBERG" in the living room. If I may indulge in some fruitless, likely-to-be-embarrassing speculation, though: Remember that scene tonight when Hank responds to Gomez by calling DEA agents off Jesse's tail? It ends with Hank canceling an appointment and leaving the office. Might he have gone to stake out Saul's himself, and then follow Jesse? Might we be in for a last-minute intervention from Hank, who suddenly finds a more-willing ally in Heisenberg's apoplectic ex-partner?

Here's a safer prediction: Todd, his neo-Nazi friends, and Lydia will somehow constitute the third horseman of Walter White's apocalypse. (Actually, now that I'm using the cliché, let's throw cancer in and say that there are four horsemen.) They, after all, embody the satanic bargain Walt long ago struck. When he allied with the life-destroying force that is the drug trade, he allied with evil. As this episode's Tarantino-esque cold open reminded for the zillionth time in Breaking Bad's run, evil can look pretty banal--smiling at diner waitresses, grooming itself in bathroom mirrors, trading back slaps in parking lots. But it also reminded that, despite Skyler's earnest assurances to Hank and Marie tonight, the evil that Walter invited into his life is not safely in the past.

MrMastodonFarm
08-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Anyone else notice Todd is wearing the same jacket Walt has in the flash forwards?

Oling_Roachinen
08-26-2013, 10:30 AM
But Brock wasn't poisoned with the ricin, so whether or not Walt was responsible for stealing the ricin from Jesse, had nothing to do with Brock being poisoned.

The ricin went missing the same day Brock became ill despite Jesse being diligent in keeping it safe and with him. Brock's poisoning led to Jesse nearly killing Walter and Jesse killing Gus because Walt convinced him it was Gus who was trying to frame Walt. Then Jesse finds out Brock was poisoned 'accidentally' by Lilly of the Valley. That's a pretty big coincidence. Either Jesse brought down a drug kinglord who Jesse didn't particularly hate because some kid ate something he shouldn't have or there was some manipulation going on. It would have weighed on Jesse and he would have had time to think it through.

Jesse knows Heisenberg better than anyone, he knows how intelligent he is, how manipulative he is, and how ruthless he is. He knew he killed Mike. It's not a stretch to think he's been thinking back to that day often and couldn't piece everything together. How did the ricin disappear? How did it end up in roomba after he checked it? How did Brock get poisoned? These aren't questions someone just sweeps under the rug and forgets about. Yeah, maybe 10 seconds was quick but I think he had the pieces together and just needed Huell stealing his weed to give him the final clue.

bax
08-26-2013, 10:33 AM

I think this is pretty self explanatory, no? Holly is probably at a day care all day while Walter and skyler are working at the car wash. And why does Walt jr need anyone to look after him? He has his own vehicle, he goes to school, and hangs out with his friends. Seems pretty simple to me.

corporatejay
08-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Sepinwall (best TV critic around) lays it out pretty plainly here.

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/review-breaking-bad-confessions-master-thespian/2

UPDATE: I've gotten so many emails, tweets and comments below expressing confusion about how Jesse figured out about the cigarette swap that I decided to simply lay out the chronology as follows:

1)In "End Times," to get Jesse back on his side in the war against Gus, Walt arranges for Huell to steal the cigarette pack with the ricin cigarette out of Jesse's pocket and replace it with a different pack. Saul calls Jesse to his office on shaky reasons, and Huell pats him down in a way that gets Jesse's attention. Walt doesn't use the ricin to poison Brock, but rather a lily of the valley plant that will have a similar but less dangerous effect on the boy.

2)When Jesse hears that Brock has been poisoned, he realizes that the ricin cigarette is missing, then (correctly) puts two and two together that Huell stole it, on Walt's orders. He storms into Walt's house and threatens to kill him for poisoning Brock; Walt convinces Jesse that it was Gus, not him, who wanted to hurt the boy — specifically so Jesse would come to this conclusion and murder Walt for him — and that Tyrus must have lifted the cigarettes from Jesse's locker at the Super Lab. Jesse accepts that Mr. White would never hurt a child, whereas Gus has a history of hurting children, and lets go of the theory about Huell.

3)Doctors later figure out that Brock was poisoned by a lily of the valley, not ricin, making Jesse doubt Walt's theory about Gus manipulating Jesse into shooting Walt, and leaving him to wonder what really happened to the ricin cigarette. Walt stages a phony search of Jesse's house and plants a fake cigarette (containing salt, not ricin) inside Jesse's Roomba. None of this sits well with Jesse, but he once again believes Mr. White.

4)Over the course of season 5, starting around the murder of Drew Sharp, Jesse has begun to realize that he shouldn't believe anything Walt says. Walt claims to be broken up over Drew's death, then whistles while he works. Walt claims that Mike left town alive, when Jesse knows that Walt would've never taken out Mike's guys unless Mike was dead. Walt gives Jesse a whole song and dance about how leaving town will be good for Jesse, when Jesse knows that it will be even better for Walt.

5)Having been primed to disbelieve any word out of Walt's mouth, Jesse goes to Saul's office, lights up a joint and gets scolded by Saul, who knows his relocation expert won't pick up anyone who's high. Saul orders Huell to again pick Jesse's pocket to get rid of the marijuana.

6)At the pick-up spot, a nervous Jesse reaches for his pot, and can't find it. He frantically checks all his pockets, but all he finds is a cigarette pack. Staring at the cigarette pack, and realizing Huell dipped into his pocket without him noticing, Jesse realizes that his first suspicions about the ricin cigarette were correct, and that Mr. White was manipulating him into turning against Gus, endangering Brock's life in the process.

That the ricin wasn't actually used on Brock is beside the point. Jesse knew from the beginning that Huell had picked his pocket, and that he must have done it on Mr. White's orders. He has been thinking about this often in the months since it happened — far more often and more intensely than those of us watching the show have, and in a more compressed time period. When he realizes Huell picked his pocket, and stares at another crumpled cigarette pack, everything clicks into place about the events of "End Times" — including how convenient it was that this terrible thing happened to Brock, which turned Jesse back into Walt's ally, at the exact moment Walt needed an ally against Gus — and he goes on the warpath against Saul, Huell and that ####### Mr. White.

bax
08-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Anyone else notice Todd is wearing the same jacket Walt has in the flash forwards?

Walt has been known to take "something" from the people he kills or has a hand in killing. Sometimes a tendency (cutting crusts off of his sandwich) or an actual object ( gales book)

FlamesAddiction
08-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Well, yeah... that is the obvious chronology that the writers want the audience to believe. It just seems far fetched.

It's forgivable though as if we are being totally honest about the show, there are numerous leaps and coincidences that are far fetched. This one just doesn't sit right with me 100%, but whatever whatevs.

JonDuke
08-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Random theory straight outta left field...

Jesse clearly despises Walt right now. The gas in his house suggests maybe even wants to kill him. With the Walt confession tape, Hank can't allow Jesse to harm Walt. With the hatred that already exists between the two, I could see Hank killing Jesse to stop him from killing Walt. Then Walt uses the ricin to poison Hank, makes it look like a suicide or natural death and blames him for Jesse's death and Marie's death (I have a feeling Skylar kills Marie, but Hank will be framed)

Tinordi
08-26-2013, 10:45 AM
I love how Walt even manipulates his son by bringing up his cancer so that he wont go over the Hank and Marie's. Walt's a despicable character at this point.

Tinordi
08-26-2013, 10:59 AM
I despised Skylar because she cheated on Walt. Now that that has kind of faded, I don't mind her as much. People look at Walt now and see someone who is truly evil and no longer have sympathy for him, but going back to seasons 2 and 3, he was still a very sympathetic character and Skylar's affair with Ted was just terrible. Beyond that though, I don't find her to be a particularly interesting character. When compared to people like Walt, Jesse, Gus, Mike, Hank, etc., she is just boring and tends to take away screen time from these more compelling characters. In contract, Game of Thrones has several interesting female characters that I really like, so I don't think it is fair to call someone's negative feelings towards her sexist.

She had an affair on Walt because he was emotionally unavailable and detached from both her and her family. Walt's "affair" with a life of crime including drugs and murder and his increasingly extreme ends that he took to cover it up and conceal from Skyler was the impetus for the affair. Skylar has culpability for having an affair but it wasn't like she did it out of nowhere. Walt has a significant amount of responsibility to bear for that. Further, Skylar had significant suspicions that Walt was having an affair with the second cell phone and the like. Sure, eye for an eye isn't a justification but Skylar is a fallible human and broke down at a moment of weakness when she thought Walt had stopped loving her. Had he just been the normal father he was at the beginning of the series it likely wouldn't have played out.

This again shows the double standard. Produce thousands of kilograms of dangerous addictive drugs and killing people, even innocent children is okay. Have an affair because you're jerk husband lives a second life and you're the bad guy.

Much of the Skylar hate is rooted in sexism. "If only that nagging wife would get out of the way of this awesome guy, she's the problem."

Flash Walken
08-26-2013, 11:10 AM
I love how Walt even manipulates his son by bringing up his cancer so that he wont go over the Hank and Marie's. Walt's a despicable character at this point.

He's Heisenberg now.

Coys1882
08-26-2013, 11:43 AM
He's Heisenberg now.

Agreed - Walt died a while ago.

Yamer
08-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Much of the Skylar hate is rooted in sexism. "If only that nagging wife would get out of the way of this awesome guy, she's the problem."

I'm not sure if it can be classified as 'sexism'. I think it's more a conditioning of audiences to identify with male/masculine characters and perceive the events and situations of a story through their eyes. Laura Mulvey calls it the "male gaze" (although most of her work revolves around female physical imagery), and the theory not only makes a lot of sense but applies perfectly to fans' opinions on characters like Skylar.

It certainly is that aspect of "If only that nagging wife would get out of the way of this awesome guy", but I think it's more that we like to identify with Walt's badassery and want to reflect a bit of ourselves onto his character. The guy has confidence, intelligence, is a provider, and has the balls to get things done. Apart from the mild sociopathy he has a lot of the traits most people desire, and Skylar is the only character with the sway to impede Walt's progress. We don't like seeing, essentially, ourselves held back like that, and develop resentment for the character.

Gunn's article has me re-evaluating my opinion of her interpretation of her own character somewhat (omitting the affair in making her argument), but to attack her as a bad actress simply because you don't like her on-screen character is completely misguided.

nik-
08-26-2013, 12:07 PM
It may be sexism and it may not be, but lets be honest here. Walt was newly diagnosed with terminal cancer, and Skylar was constantly nagging him for acting different and distant.

Well no ####, he's dealing with his own mortality, he's not going to care about mundane things.

She's much better now, but she was pretty bad for a long while.

Tinordi
08-26-2013, 12:10 PM
It may be sexism and it may not be, but lets be honest here. Walt was newly diagnosed with terminal cancer, and Skylar was constantly nagging him for acting different and distant.

Well no ####, he's dealing with his own mortality, he's not going to care about mundane things.

She's much better now, but she was pretty bad for a long while.

Except that that wasn't the reason he was acting different and distant. You're basically parroting Walt's own logic here in making up a justification. The reason he was different and distant was because he chose a life of crime for essentially his own vanity. While Skylar is trying to hold the family together, Walt is cavorting with drug dealers and putting his entire family in danger. Skylar had a right to nag, be suspicious and call Walt out. It was because something very bad was up and she detected it. As any good wife and mother would do.

nik-
08-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Except that that wasn't the reason he was acting different and distant. You're basically parroting Walt's own logic here in making up a justification. The reason he was different and distant was because he chose a life of crime for essentially his own vanity. While Skylar is trying to hold the family together, Walt is cavorting with drug dealers and putting his entire family in danger. Skylar had a right to nag, be suspicious and call Walt out. It was because something very bad was up and she detected it. As any good wife and mother would do.

But she didn't know that, her actions were a response to what Walt was presenting, so given that she thought it was legitimate cancer related issues, she still chose the nagging, annoying path.

Looking through that filter, I felt the way she acted was unreasonable and so did a lot of people, which is why the character wasn't liked in the start.

FlamesAddiction
08-26-2013, 12:25 PM
But she didn't know that, her actions were a response to what Walt was presenting, so given that she thought it was legitimate cancer related issues, she still chose the nagging, annoying path.

Looking through that filter, I felt the way she acted was unreasonable and so did a lot of people, which is why the character wasn't liked in the start.

I think part of character development of Walt was to show him as someone who was basically a wimp, which included being a man that was emotionally emasculated by his wife. The Skylar character was starting from a position of negativity from the start of the series.

If it was sexism as some people here claim, then those same perceptions would be held against female characters in other series. I am willing to bet that a lot of the Skylar haters have female characters on other shows that they are fond of.

Tinordi
08-26-2013, 12:25 PM

Yes but deep down she did know something was up. Skylar is a flawed character but she's not stupid. Infact she is one of the smartest characters in the show and has always been written as such.

This gets even more to the point. You're apologizing for Walt who used his cancer as an excuse to cover up his behaviour and playing with Skylar's emotions on the impact that the cancer was having on him personally. All the while, you're criticizing Skylar for noticing a huge change in Walt's personality and actions (for the worse) and "nagging" him for it. Double standard.

MrMastodonFarm
08-26-2013, 12:27 PM
Yeah, it's not sexism. If Walter had an annoying nagging best friend/neighbor that was always on his case early, and was constantly trying to thwart the cool stuff he was doing that character would be equally as hated. It's not about the fact she's female, it's the fact she was trying to stop the main character from doing cool stuff.

A little surprised we're still having this debate, especially after that killer episode last night and when only 5 episodes remain.

nik-
08-26-2013, 12:30 PM
She notices someone with terminal cancer has a personality change. Mind blowing intuition.

If it's a double standard then fine, I found a wife nagging her dying husband (because that's all she knew) as really annoying.

djsFlames
08-26-2013, 12:42 PM
I actually don't think it was much of a leap at all. I see why others do, but it's more a case of Jesse knowing Walt's tendencies from working with him for so long. Especially after Saul admitted that they did it. Obviously it was being kept under wraps that they lifted that cigarette from him, and it took a gun to Saul's head to get him to admit it. Jesse knows how Walt takes measures to manipulate people when he Needs it to happen, to protect himself. So why take the cig and keep it so secret? Why call the cig lifting "crazy" when Jesse had the gun to his head in season 4? If it was for the sake of something good, like taking it out of his hands as to eliminate the danger, and nothing else, then Walt would have admitted it. But Brock being sick and the ricin missing at the same time and Walt claiming he had nothing to do with it, then shifting the blame to Gus is what caused Jesse to change his allegiance at that point. Those two occurrences happened too perfectly, and served to Walt's advantage when his life and family's lives were under threat. Jesse knows it wasn't just a coincidence now. He knows Walt kept this very secret from him. And he knows that Walt has a vast knowledge for such things as natural poisons (Ricin). And he makes drastic, calculated moves to protect himself when needed. So it's not a stretch to think he planted the Lily of the Valley to set up his plan to manipulate Jesse. If it were the ricin, then Saul and his loose mouth would be all that would keep Jesse from finding out, and he knows that Walt wouldn't risk that. Plus it would have likely killed the kid, and Walt only needed him sick for a while to get his plan to work.

I dunno, just with Jesse knowing how Walt operates and thinks, it doesn't seem like a stretch for him to put 2 and 2 together, especially after Saul admitted they had been keeping that truth from him.

Flash Walken
08-26-2013, 12:46 PM
Or the part where she confronts jesse and says don't sell my husband pot.

It's part of the context in the first season or two to get you on Walt's side. Skylar, when she's not being an insufferable control freak, is constantly on her cancer ridden husband's case. It makes you sympathetic to Walt.

I find her article to be quite disingenuous, at least from the perspective of someone on the show. That's how the show is written to start, Skylar is awful, it helps you empathize with the main character. Also of note, in the story line, she cheats on Walt with Ted years earlier. I don't remember if the first time is unknown to walt or not and whether it's used to further hurt him the second time she does it, i.e. re-opening old wounds, but it's part of the story line before the Meth. Marie is aware of it.

The show starts with a totally emasculated Walt. Poor, unappreciated, lacking respect and playing beta male to Hank. Skylar being an awful caricature of a nagging housewife is used to illustrate that further.

Edit: Two other things. Ted makes an allusion to Junior being his child (from the aforementioned affair), Skylar smokes around her baby, participates, unsolicited mind you, in the tax fraud Ted has started...

smoothpops
08-26-2013, 01:34 PM
She had an affair on Walt because he was emotionally unavailable and detached from both her and her family. Walt's "affair" with a life of crime including drugs and murder and his increasingly extreme ends that he took to cover it up and conceal from Skyler was the impetus for the affair. Skylar has culpability for having an affair but it wasn't like she did it out of nowhere. Walt has a significant amount of responsibility to bear for that. Further, Skylar had significant suspicions that Walt was having an affair with the second cell phone and the like. Sure, eye for an eye isn't a justification but Skylar is a fallible human and broke down at a moment of weakness when she thought Walt had stopped loving her. Had he just been the normal father he was at the beginning of the series it likely wouldn't have played out.

This again shows the double standard. Produce thousands of kilograms of dangerous addictive drugs and killing people, even innocent children is okay. Have an affair because you're jerk husband lives a second life and you're the bad guy.

Walt also had an affair, infact i'd say he had two (that we know of). obviously, one of the affairs is his obsessive building of his drug empire which alienated him from his family. and the second affair (which happened first), was with the his old company ceo's wife, from grey matter. That's why he left and was bought out for $5000

To Be Quite Honest
08-26-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm not even guessing at the story; I'm sitting back and watching the lives implode. This is such a great show.

getbak
08-26-2013, 01:51 PM
If you don't want to know how it ends, don't watch this: http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/636264ec55/dean-norris-spoils-breaking-bad

Radio
08-26-2013, 05:00 PM
I don't recall either of those previous affairs happening.

Skylar used to work for Ted and went back to apply for a job and ran into Ted who offered her her old job back. Then we find out that Ted and his wife had marital problems, that Ted's wife had an affair and they got divorced. He's always been attracted to her, but she initiates the affair.

Walter dated Gretchen first and unexpectedly left her when she took him to meet her parents. Skylar suspected Walter was having an affair with her, but wasn't.

By all accounts Walter has never had an affair and Skylar had 1 out of revenge (not that that is a good reason)

djsFlames
08-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Apparently the show's ending will 'change the way we think about series finales' coming one of the producers who has seen the whole finished product. Judging by that statement, I think that the M60 and ricin won't at all be getting used for the people or under the circumstances that we expect. Also just looking at how unpredictable each episode has been so far. I think the changes in the characters and their environments will be drastic starting next week (judging by some of the episode summaries). I think we'll be introduced to some new players in the meth network really soon too. Particularly Lydia's Czech connections through Madrigal. I think it's going to add a whole new factor and pressure on Walt and family. I'm fairly sure Todd won't be able to cook up to the standards they want, and they'll look to take measures to get Walt's full cooperation to either mentor Todd until he gets it right, or just to go back to being the master chef against his will.

Daradon
08-26-2013, 06:39 PM
she had an affair on walt because he was emotionally unavailable and detached from both her and her family. Walt's "affair" with a life of crime including drugs and murder and his increasingly extreme ends that he took to cover it up and conceal from skyler was the impetus for the affair. Skylar has culpability for having an affair but it wasn't like she did it out of nowhere. Walt has a significant amount of responsibility to bear for that. Further, skylar had significant suspicions that walt was having an affair with the second cell phone and the like. Sure, eye for an eye isn't a justification but skylar is a fallible human and broke down at a moment of weakness when she thought walt had stopped loving her. Had he just been the normal father he was at the beginning of the series it likely wouldn't have played out.

Much of the skylar hate is rooted in sexism. "if only that nagging wife would get out of the way of this awesome guy, she's the problem."

nm

Daradon
08-26-2013, 06:41 PM

Thank you!

Wish you were around when I got thrown under the bus.

DownhillGoat
08-26-2013, 07:11 PM
Apparently the show's ending will 'change the way we think about series finales'
Frankly at this point there's no character that I really want to see triumphant at the end of this and am hoping for a Reservoir Dogs style finale.

moon
08-26-2013, 07:16 PM
The idea that it is sexist if you don't like Skylar is ridiculous but just a question for those that try and promote this garbage, if my wife and another woman that I know also don't like the character does that make them sexist as well?

Ark2
08-26-2013, 07:30 PM
The idea that it is sexist if you don't like Skylar is ridiculous but just a question for those that try and promote this garbage, if my wife and another woman that I know also don't like the character does that make them sexist as well?

Good point. Outside of the pompous posters on here that like to thumb their noses at everyone that dislikes Skylar as being sexist, I don't know anyone personally that likes her character...

Daradon
08-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Everyone hang on! Moon has something to say.

Radio
08-26-2013, 09:13 PM

It makes them feminists...just kidding gaawwwdd

djsFlames
08-27-2013, 01:52 AM
Oh yeah, I'm sure the ending will be disastrous in one way or another for every character, except maybe Saul. And that's absolutely the way it should be.

Although I am a supporter of the idea of Walt being the only one to walk out of the dust once everything settles in the end, despite becoming pretty clearly the most deserving (and likely) to die of all. The irony would definitely make for a good chuckle and a crazy conclusion. Though if he does, I have little doubt that he would put some of that ol' ricin to use anyways.

Bertuzzied
08-27-2013, 12:41 PM
When Walt was comforting Jesse in the desert i was hoping he was going to give him one of those head snaps after the hugging.

This is the best show to ever hit TV!
The only problem i have with this mini season is when they had the shootout in the desert with the underground lab. Why the hell would they not use Olivia as a hostage or as a shield. Made no sense at all.

bax
08-27-2013, 01:52 PM
When Walt was comforting Jesse in the desert i was hoping he was going to give him one of those head snaps after the hugging.

This is the best show to ever hit TV!
The only problem i have with this mini season is when they had the shootout in the desert with the underground lab. Why the hell would they not use Olivia as a hostage or as a shield. Made no sense at all.

What do you mean? I'm pretty sure they were caught off guard with the slaughtering...

Erick Estrada
08-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Frankly at this point there's no character that I really want to see triumphant at the end of this and am hoping for a Reservoir Dogs style finale.

The best ending would be for Marie and Hank to mysteriously die in a car accident where the brakes fail leaving Walter clear once Jessie mysteriously disappears without a trace. Walter beats the cancer once again and he and Skyler have a big celebration dinner to which Walt goes out to get some more wine when a mysterious figure comes from behind him and injects Walt with something knocking him out. Walter wakes up saran wrapped on a table with Dexter branding a knife. "You have been very bad Walter" Dexter says as he plunges the knife through Walter's heart.

Dexter flies back to Miami goes out late that evening to have a drink with Deb at Angel's restaurant only to get served their beers by a new waiter that looks just like Saul. Dexter and Deb both feel tired and exit to the parking lot where they both collapse in each other's arms and perish of ricin poisoning as Saul's Cadillac burns out of the parking lot.

The next scene shows the sun rise over the ocean and a sail boat in the distance. In the boat is Jessie and Hanna McKay embracing while staring out at the ocean. The camera closes up on Hanna where you can see one of her Aconitum plants behind her on the deck. She looks at the camera, winks, the screen goes black, and the credits roll.

rohara66
08-27-2013, 03:25 PM
The best ending would be for Marie and Hank to mysteriously die in a car accident where the brakes fail leaving Walter clear once Jessie mysteriously disappears without a trace. Walter beats the cancer once again and he and Skyler have a big celebration dinner to which Walt goes out to get some more wine when a mysterious figure comes from behind him and injects Walt with something knocking him out. Walter wakes up saran wrapped on a table with Dexter branding a knife. "You have been very bad Walter" Dexter says as he plunges the knife through Walter's heart.

Dexter flies back to Miami goes out late that evening to have a drink with Deb at Angel's restaurant only to get served their beers by a new waiter that looks just like Saul. Dexter and Deb both feel tired and exit to the parking lot where they both collapse in each other's arms and perish of ricin poisoning as Saul's Cadillac burns out of the parking lot.

The next scene shows the sun rise over the ocean and a sail boat in the distance. In the boat is Jessie and Hanna McKay embracing while staring out at the ocean. The camera closes up on Hanna where you can see one of her Aconitum plants behind her on the deck. She looks at the camera, winks, the screen goes black, and the credits roll.

What. The. ####.

bwhahahahahah

djsFlames
08-27-2013, 03:35 PM

I'd break s###.

The worst Dexter season ever needs to die in its own secluded dark, cold grave.

sun
08-27-2013, 03:46 PM

Ugh, this is such BS. I don't understand how anyone can say this seriously with a straight face. You don't like a character, so you must be sexist. Okay, got it. Has nothing to do with her being an annoying character played by a mediocre actress, nope. Must be the fact that she has no penis, yep that's gotta be it.

DownhillGoat
08-27-2013, 04:04 PM
You don't like a character, so you must be sexist.
If I really like one female character in a show, but can't stand another one in the same show, does that even it out?

FlamesAddiction
08-27-2013, 04:08 PM
If I really like one female character in a show, but can't stand another one in the same show, does that even it out?

It means you are 50% sexist.

You have to like all the female characters.

Tinordi
08-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Step 1: Set up strawman

Step 2: throw stones at straw man

Step 3: High five each other

When did I say that disliking Skylar because she was female was sexist? I said that much of the hate toward Skylar is rooted in sexism because she asserts herself as a woman standing in the way of a man. The basic point is that most criticism of her is that she's a "nag" and that she prevents Walt from succeeding at a life of crime, or that she's responsible for emaciating Walt from being that strong man that is his right. These are all at their base, sexist arguments. Nothing that you people have argued addresses that point.

Anyway, carry on with the false categorizing.

MrMastodonFarm
08-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Can you guys just all agree with Tinordi so he doesn't have a spaz attack?

moon
08-27-2013, 06:47 PM
When did I say that disliking Skylar because she was female was sexist? I said that much of the hate toward Skylar is rooted in sexism because she asserts herself as a woman standing in the way of a man. The basic point is that most criticism of her is that she's a "nag" and that she prevents Walt from succeeding at a life of crime, or that she's responsible for emaciating Walt from being that strong man that is his right. These are all at their base, sexist arguments. Nothing that you people have argued addresses that point.

Those aren't the two criticisms at all. I would say the number one criticism is that she is a sour, unhappy, unlikable character overall. The nagging might be part of that but considering men and women both dislike her it can't all be about the nagging. The second (and maybe biggest criticism) is her affair with the scumbag boss. Skylar defenders seem to flat out ignore it or try to justify it with some BS "Walt wasn't there emotionally for her." It was an awful thing she did and an easy way to make many people hate her character.

Not sure why you bring up she doesn't let Walt be a successful criminal since she hasn't really stopped him at all and when she tried he moved out and became more ruthless than ever.

Ark2
08-27-2013, 06:50 PM
Step 1: Set up strawman

Step 2: throw stones at straw man

Step 3: High five each other

So if Skylar had a penis but acted in the exact same way, it wouldn't be sexist, but because she has a vagina, it is. Gotcha.

djsFlames
08-27-2013, 06:57 PM
... On a more important note: Is Lydia the hottest "milf" on TV right now? :w00t:

MrMastodonFarm
08-27-2013, 07:19 PM
So if Skylar had a penis but acted in the exact same way, it wouldn't be sexist, but because she has a vagina, it is. Gotcha.

It seems Tinordi is attributing nagging as a solely female trait, which is very sexist of him.

VANFLAMESFAN
08-27-2013, 09:06 PM
... On a more important note: Is Lydia the hottest "milf" on TV right now? :w00t:

Stop being sexist.

djsFlames
08-27-2013, 10:43 PM
Stop being sexist.
Lol. :D

But I like her!.. at least parts of her. Does it still make me sexist?

Bertuzzied
08-27-2013, 10:45 PM

She looks better now than when she was on Buffy.

djsFlames
08-27-2013, 10:56 PM
What? wow haha. I don't remember which character she played. I only remember Sarah Michelle Gellar and Alyson Hannigan. I'll have to look into this.

Edit: Looked into it and she doesn't come up as a previous cast member on the show, at least on imdb.

trackercowe
08-28-2013, 12:40 AM
Dean Norris spoils the ending of the show.

Warning Does Not contain spoilers!

AKLdFOlLj3c

I love the "Tweaker Hunter" shirt; would love to get my hands on one.

Regulator75
08-28-2013, 11:48 AM
http://www.fadedindustry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/dean-norris-twitter-pizza.png

Erick Estrada
08-28-2013, 12:13 PM
LOL at the winter coat. Even in the middle of winter they average 8 deg. C in Albuquerque.

trackercowe
08-28-2013, 12:20 PM
I swear Dean Norris has been 40 for the last 25 years. Here's Norris guest starring on an early episode of Married With Children back in the day.

http://i.imgur.com/wabV2.jpg

He hasn't changed a bit aside from shaving the rest of his hair.

DownhillGoat
08-28-2013, 12:54 PM
I swear Dean Norris has been 40 for the last 25 years.
He doesn't look much different in Starship Troopers, either. (spoiler for size)
http://www.imangination.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/DeanNorris.jpg

Erick Estrada
08-28-2013, 02:49 PM
He doesn't look much different in Starship Troopers, either. (spoiler for size)
http://www.imangination.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/DeanNorris.jpg

Any pictures of him with hair?

Coys1882
08-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Any pictures of him with hair?
spank bank?

Regulator75
08-28-2013, 05:02 PM
http://oi42.tinypic.com/29f9kdj.jpg

Huntingwhale
08-28-2013, 10:01 PM
http://i.minus.com/ibi2hk8JMTqjbE.gif

TurnedTheCorner
08-29-2013, 01:28 AM
Only 7 episodes behind now, then I can start reading this thread.

Poor Gus.

Bertuzzied
08-29-2013, 12:12 PM
Only 7 episodes behind now, then I can start reading this thread.

Poor Gus.

Ding ding ding ding!

Barnes
08-29-2013, 12:26 PM
https://twitter.com/H_Salamanca

Cuz
08-30-2013, 05:48 PM
https://twitter.com/H_Salamanca

This gave me a good chuckle but someone has way too much free time on their hands:)

VANFLAMESFAN
09-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Do other show runners know how much their shows suck in comparison to breaking bad?

Huntingwhale
09-01-2013, 10:40 PM
It's gonna be a day when I can sit down with all 5 seasons and watch the entire thing from start to finish. I felt stressed this entire episode.

djsFlames
09-02-2013, 12:50 AM
(*spoiler*)

Jesse: "Next time I'm gonna get you where you really live."

So, what does Jesse mean by this? What chink in the armor has he gained knowledge of through all his dealings with Walt? Lots of speculation going on. You'd think the answer would be obvious, but it's actually pretty tough to tell.

My thought (and this has been brought up a fair bit already) is Walt's ego. Maybe Jesse is going to get Hank and Gomez to somehow make it look like Jesse is being busted as the true Heisenberg. Walt won't like him getting the credit and the name, despite all the implications that come with it, and they'll expect him to make some sort of stand.

But then again, it would be difficult to come up with a story that Walt would buy, as he knows that Hank knows it's him already. Part of me thinks that it's very off for Jesse to even be helping Hank, even under the circumstances. He hasn't forgotten what Hank did to him. Maybe he's got his own plan in mind to take down both H&W. I just can't seem to figure out how Jesse expects to get Walt to expose himself as Heisenberg. But any which way, Lydia, Todd and co. are going to enter the fold next week. Maybe Jesse's plan also involves them somehow.

getbak
09-02-2013, 01:21 AM
Finale prediction: Walt's going to poison Hank with the ricin and Marie will get arrested for it after her shrink tells the police how she spoke at length about using an untraceable poison.

TurnedTheCorner
09-02-2013, 01:55 AM
Jesse's either going to get at Walt's money or do something with his formula to draw him back in. That's all Walt seems to care about.

trackercowe
09-02-2013, 02:00 AM
Finale prediction: Walt's going to poison Hank with the ricin and Marie will get arrested for it after her shrink tells the police how she spoke at length about using an untraceable poison.
Yeah but how would he find out about her wanting to poison someone? What did he bug the doctors office?

TurnedTheCorner
09-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Just more dumb luck for ole Walt. He has no idea that Marie will get pinned with it.

trackercowe
09-02-2013, 02:41 AM
My heart broke a little when I found out that ominous looking bald guy was only there to pick up his kid. Walt was actually there on his own to make one more attempt at making amends with Jessie. Now all heck is going to break lose, and there is no going back; I'd be shocked if Jessie doesn't die now. I was sort of hoping he'd survive over Walt as at least he tries to be a moral person, and often reacts to criminal events like your average person would (whether it be killing someone or poisoning a kid).

Jessie always seemed to be hesitant in pushing the criminal envelope beyond just making and distributing methylamine. There were also many points of the series where he seemed truly happy with his life, but then Walt always had to #### that up for his own gain. While Walt may care about Jessie, his first and foremost concern has always been for himself.

As much as I love Walt the character, in terms of good vs. evil, I hope Jessie finds a way to win (even if he has to kill Walt). Although I was also one who wanted Scarface to die, so I don't always root for the bad guy.

Daradon
09-02-2013, 02:52 AM
Finally caught up after I begun watching earlier this summer.

How did it take me this long to get into this show?

Mostly cause you suck...

In all honesty I picked up as season four started. Me and MQS raced through the episodes.

Most of us are late comers in some way.

There might be five here from episode one???

Daradon
09-02-2013, 02:56 AM
My heart broke a little when I found out that ominous looking bald guy was only there to pick up his kid. Walt was actually there on his own to make one more attempt at making amends with Jessie. Now all heck is going to break lose, and there is no going back; I'd be shocked if Jessie doesn't die now. I was sort of hoping he'd survive over Walt as at least he tries to be a moral person, and often reacts to criminal events like your average person would (whether it be killing someone or poisoning a kid).

Jessie always seemed to be hesitant in pushing the criminal envelope beyond just making and distributing methylamine. There were also many points of the series where he seemed truly happy with his life, but then Walt always had to #### that up for his own gain. While Walt may care about Jessie, his first and foremost concern has always been for himself.

As much as I love Walt the character, in terms of good vs. evil, I hope Jessie finds a way to win (even if he has to kill Walt). Although I was also one who wanted Scarface to die, so I don't always root for the bad guy.

Like your synopsis.

But they all die! Jesse burns Walts house, Skyler asks him to 'take care of it'.

Although Walt finally looks back at the man he has becoming after killing Jesse. He never completely recovers. Heisenberg is not the same and it all falls to pieces. Though he never ttreated him truly as one, Walt, maybe through ego, sees Jesse as a son. Jesse's death amplifies Walt's unraveling.

Daradon
09-02-2013, 03:01 AM
Like your synopsis.

But they all die! Jesse burns Walts house, Skyler asks him to 'take care of it'.

Although Walt finally looks back at the man he has becoming after killing Jesse. He never completely recovers. Heisenberg is not the same and it all falls to pieces. Though he never ttreated him truly as one, Walt, maybe through ego, sees Jesse as a son. Jesse's death amplifies Walt's unraveling.

Last weeks hug was very close to real. But it was too little too late.

JonDuke
09-02-2013, 08:36 AM
"What's one more?" - Skysenberg

Table 5
09-02-2013, 08:54 AM
http://i.minus.com/ibi2hk8JMTqjbE.gif

This is still my favorite moment in the show. Classic Jesse.

Igottago
09-02-2013, 10:17 AM
So I could be way off base here, but is Walt not really out of the business?

At the end he calls Todd and asks him to get his uncle to do one more job. Well, what was the first job? Earlier in the season Todd and his uncle's crew take out the group that had control of the meth operation, while Lydia was there. Did Walt order that hit? When Lydia said she needed Walt's help to get the quality of the product back up, did they hatch a plan to assassinate and take back the meth operation, and now Todd is cooking? With Walt being more of the hands off "Gus" type figure in the background?

DownInFlames
09-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Todd's uncle arranged the prison hits.

BlackArcher101
09-02-2013, 10:33 AM
At the end he calls Todd and asks him to get his uncle to do one more job. Well, what was the first job?

The jail hits were first.
I don't think he's involved in that business, that was a hostile takeover for the gang.

Igottago
09-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Ok that's right, I forgot Todd's uncle was behind the prison hits.

Flash Walken
09-02-2013, 10:57 AM
So I could be way off base here, but is Walt not really out of the business?

At the end he calls Todd and asks him to get his uncle to do one more job. Well, what was the first job? Earlier in the season Todd and his uncle's crew take out the group that had control of the meth operation, while Lydia was there. Did Walt order that hit? When Lydia said she needed Walt's help to get the quality of the product back up, did they hatch a plan to assassinate and take back the meth operation, and now Todd is cooking? With Walt being more of the hands off "Gus" type figure in the background?

I don't think Walt is still in the business, because it would've come out in the narrative of the story by now.

Breaking Bad doesn't really keep huge secrets from the fans only to have a huge reveal later. They reveal huge secrets to Characters, but the audience is pretty much in on all the information from each storyline.

It would be shocking to learn in the next few episodes that Walt is still running a meth empire without alluding to it at all in any of the previous episodes.

I'm sure there is a way to write though that would make it work, but I don't think that's where they are going.

TurnedTheCorner
09-02-2013, 11:02 AM
I dunno, I could see this fitting together.

Why would Todd call Walter about the change in management if Walt is completely out?

Igottago
09-02-2013, 11:08 AM
I dunno, I could see this fitting together.

Why would Todd call Walter about the change in management if Walt is completely out?

Yeah, I'm not ready to completely dismiss the theory either. If you look at everything that's happened, there are a lot of subtle hints that maybe Walt is still behind all of that. We don't really know that it was just a hostile takeover by Todd and his uncle's group. I can't really remember all of the cold opening a few episodes ago where it was Todd and his uncle at the diner...but it just seems to me there is someone holding the strings there, and it hasn't been revealed yet. I think Walt's phone call to Todd saying "I need your uncle to do one more thing" was a bigger reveal than people are catching onto.

Edit: I actually just re-watched the opening from last episode and it seems like Walt doesn't know about the hit on the meth lab, but Todd leaves him a message about the change in management. Then it ends with them driving the gear into new mexico.

I dunno. This show is messing with my head.