PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Bad

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

d_phaneuf
08-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Watching the replay now and Jesse is the one that actually implicitly gets Todd to shoot the kid.

"No one other than us can ever know that this robbery went down. Nobody. Got it?"

"The point is, no one, other than us, can ever know that this robbery went down. Nobody. Got it?" -Jesse
"Yeah, absolutely." -Todd
"Are you sure?" -Walt
"Yes, sir." -Todd

Young-Sneezy
08-13-2012, 12:34 AM
WOW.

http://www.geekation.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Geekation_DatsAWackyKramer.gif

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/mindblown-kramer.gif

Kipperriffic
08-13-2012, 12:38 AM
Jason Bourne B!tch!

trackercowe
08-13-2012, 12:55 AM
This may come out as a little gushing, but there's no doubt in my mind that Breaking Bad will end up amongst the all time great television productions, with the likes of the Sopranos, M*A*S*H, All in the Family, and select others, that are talked about for decades, and I feel lucky to be watching it unfold in its first run.

I'm also pleased to say that I have no worries about the end living up to expectations. The vision guiding the show and the execution week to week has been flawless.

It's already there, no question about it.

I'd say even better than The Sopranos already. 1-2 with The Wire imo.

Phenomenal show tonight. like others have said I was completely on the edge of my seat when they were robbing the train. I thought the kid would somehow screw up, or maybe get stuck on top of the train, but nope... the way they ended it just blew my mind.

I also loved the scene between Skylar and Waly.

"Out burring bodies?"... "Robbing a train". Haha, I just love the delivery of the line. Walt doesn't even bother trying to hide his actions anymore.

trackercowe
08-13-2012, 01:05 AM
I also like how Jesse has evolved into the brains of the outfit. He is one coming up with all the great ideas, and solving the issues Walt used to take care of in his more brutal manner.

I was actually thinking why didn't they find a way to switch out the methylamine with something, as that seemed like the best way to get the job done.

Mister Yamoto
08-13-2012, 02:44 AM
I can see why Flynn is so upset. Lasagne is NOT breakfast!

Also I don't think that's the end of Lydia. Walt seems to still be holding a grudge about the shut-up pay that Mike is paying. After talking alone with Lydia, Walt now knows that she knows who Mikes guys are. I think Walt will team up with Lydia to get rid of Mike and his guys. Not only do they both hate Mike, they also both seem to think that you can do whatever you want if you " are doing it for family".

Coys1882
08-13-2012, 06:38 AM
Can we finally call Landry Clarke a serial killer now?

What is this a reference too?

Methanolic
08-13-2012, 07:11 AM
What is this a reference too?

Friday night lights?

Wormius
08-13-2012, 07:28 AM
I can see why Flynn is so upset. Lasagne is NOT breakfast!

Also I don't think that's the end of Lydia. Walt seems to still be holding a grudge about the shut-up pay that Mike is paying. After talking alone with Lydia, Walt now knows that she knows who Mikes guys are. I think Walt will team up with Lydia to get rid of Mike and his guys. Not only do they both hate Mike, they also both seem to think that you can do whatever you want if you " are doing it for family".

It will be hard to get rid of Mike's guys, unless Mike is offed first. Though from the preview of next weeks episode, if Mike wants out, that would solve the problem assuming he doesn't expect Walt to continue to pay the legacy fee

For all anybody knows though, Mike could have pocketed the hazard pay intended for the guys in lockup for himself and has enough now to be satisfied.

RW99
08-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Great episode, I swear this show is at best 20 minutes long. Though I do have two minor issues with it. First, who lets their 12yr old dirt bike around the desert by themselves... and Two, I like how they have their 'private' conversation 6 feet from Lydia ;)

FlamesAddiction
08-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Watching the replay now and Jesse is the one that actually implicitly gets Todd to shoot the kid.

"No one other than us can ever know that this robbery went down. Nobody. Got it?"
Although Jesse was also the only one who said anything to try and stop it.

How could they have dealt with it other than the way they did? The kid saw and if there is anything about 12 year olds, is they don't reason very well and they have big mouths.

Leaving the kid alive would be a ticket to prison. They would pretty much have to just go and turn themselves in at that point, which wouldn't make for a very interesting finale.

FlamesAddiction
08-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Great episode, I swear this show is at best 20 minutes long. Though I do have two minor issues with it. First, who lets their 12yr old dirt bike around the desert by themselves... and Two, I like how they have their 'private' conversation 6 feet from Lydia ;)

Or three, how could you not hear a kid pull up on a dirt bike. Mike would have to be a pretty lousy scout if the kid was standing there the whole time, so I would have to guess that he pulled up after the train had stopped. You would hear that easily.

wpgflamesfan
08-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Friday night lights?

You are correct.

Coys1882
08-13-2012, 09:12 AM
Or three, how could you not hear a kid pull up on a dirt bike. Mike would have to be a pretty lousy scout if the kid was standing there the whole time, so I would have to guess that he pulled up after the train had stopped. You would hear that easily.

The noise of the pump? Those things are pretty loud - plus Mike was looking back and forth from the guys working and the dump truck - not behind him from the desert.

nik-
08-13-2012, 10:29 AM

I think when the conversation is "should we kill her like we said we were going to" you can probably have it right in her face.

Wormius
08-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Killing the kid seemed a bit rash. They could have easily talked their way out of it, like some kind of train maintenance they were performing. Now they have to deal with a dead body and possibly people coming out searching for this missing kid, and seeing fresh pile of disturbed dirt where they buried the containers would set off alarm flags and those would get unburied.

Also, didn't Walt leave fingerprints on all of that stuff he planted in Hanks office? That seems a bit careless.

Tinordi
08-13-2012, 11:02 AM
That kid was likely a member of the Indian reservation in the area.

FlamesAddiction
08-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Killing the kid seemed a bit rash. They could have easily talked their way out of it, like some kind of train maintenance they were performing. Now they have to deal with a dead body and possibly people coming out searching for this missing kid, and seeing fresh pile of disturbed dirt where they buried the containers would set off alarm flags and those would get unburied.

Sure, they could have talked to him and tried to come up with an explanation, but knowing most kids around that age, he probably would have came back with friends after they were gone to check it out. He saw them putting stuff in the ground and 12 year olds are curious buggers. Having that floating around out there would make it pretty hard to sleep at night.

They still have to worry about cleaning up, but they have more time now.

(I don't condone it, but just trying to think about it from the perspective of the type of people who are already killers and cook meth for a living).

Also, didn't Walt leave fingerprints on all of that stuff he planted in Hanks office? That seems a bit careless.

I thought the same thing. I think that will come back into play at some point.

Superflyer
08-13-2012, 01:02 PM
It's funny my biggest thing with this episode was all the dirt Walt spilled into the tanks. He is always so concerned about having a pure product we even spent an entire episode with him trying to kill a fly in the lab. You would think he would have had them setup better so that dirt would not fall into them.

psicodude
08-13-2012, 01:09 PM

Anything other than killing the kid would have ruined the story, IMO. I didn't realize it at the time, but the past few episodes have been building up to that scene. Mike talking about the house fumigation crew and saying how professional they are and never leave untied ends. Mike's line saying "There are 2 types of jobs - ones where the guys get away with it, and one with witnesses".

It just made nothing but sense for "Landry's" first reaction to be to whip out the pistol and waste the kid without even a second thought. In my mind at least, that's what a real professional would do. It just further pushes along the fact that Walt and Jessie are no longer 2 wannabe dudes cooking in a basement somewhere and are now playing with the big boys.

All of that being said, however, it was a disturbing scene considering all of the effort they just went through to avoid killing the train engineer and conductor.

Igottago
08-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Anything other than killing the kid would have ruined the story, IMO. I didn't realize it at the time, but the past few episodes have been building up to that scene. Mike talking about the house fumigation crew and saying how professional they are and never leave untied ends. Mike's line saying "There are 2 types of jobs - ones where the guys get away with it, and one with witnesses".

It just made nothing but sense for "Landry's" first reaction to be to whip out the pistol and waste the kid without even a second thought. In my mind at least, that's what a real professional would do. It just further pushes along the fact that Walt and Jessie are no longer 2 wannabe dudes cooking in a basement somewhere and are now playing with the big boys.

All of that being said, however, it was a disturbing scene considering all of the effort they just went through to avoid killing the train engineer and conductor.

Very cold. Especially the way he waved back at him before pulling out his gun.

Wormius
08-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Funny though, Skyler was right with the "burying bodies" quip.

d_phaneuf
08-13-2012, 02:50 PM
speaking of that

I loved the way Walt said "robbing a train"

he was so proud of himself

Huntingwhale
08-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Amazing episode. I don't think I've ever felt such worry from watching a scene as I did the train robbery. Unreal. Popping the kid was just...f'd right up. Just when I thought the perfect caper was pulled, Todd goes and does that.

I also found the discussion between Skylar and Walk disturbing. I got the feeling that Walt just ''sold'' his kids in order to keep making meth. Unreal.

And I found myself cracking up with laughter during the scene with Lydia and the boys talking about what to do with her, then it not being her fault the tracking device was found. Hilarious.

metallicat
08-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Funny though, Skyler was right with the "burying bodies" quip.

Oh man, for some reason I didn't even clue in to th fact that they probably buries the guy in one of the holes. Wowzers.

blankall
08-13-2012, 05:35 PM

Pretty shocking. I was almsot at the point where I thought Landry was going to turn out to be a NARC. He just seemed a little too into the job for someone on the bottom rung probably being paid peanuts. Apparently, he's just a psycho though.

Jacks
08-13-2012, 09:27 PM
It's funny my biggest thing with this episode was all the dirt Walt spilled into the tanks. He is always so concerned about having a pure product we even spent an entire episode with him trying to kill a fly in the lab. You would think he would have had them setup better so that dirt would not fall into them.
This bugged me too, hard to believe Walt would have let all that dirt fall in the tank.

Now they have to deal with a dead body and possibly people coming out searching for this missing kid, and seeing fresh pile of disturbed dirt where they buried the containers would set off alarm flags and those would get unburied.
Pretty sure Mike will have no problem dealing with the body and the bike.
Although I wonder if they might overlook the jar with the spider?
Even if someone sees that a hole had been dug there won't be any other evidence, I'm sure they are going to remove the tanks.

Wormius
08-13-2012, 09:57 PM
I thought they were going to leave the containers there and take the chemical as required and fill up again when needed.

For that much methylamine, the contamination from the dirt wouldn't amount to much, and just fall to the bottom as sediment anyway.

It does show that Walt is not the perfectionist he once was. Also just thinking that both Walt and Jesse have almost the same skill-sets now, so either would be able to get along without the other.

Mightyfire89
08-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Maybe just me, but I'm not certain the kid is dead.:eek:

What an astoundingly good show.

Jacks
08-13-2012, 10:18 PM
I thought they were going to leave the containers there and take the chemical as required and fill up again when needed.
Don't think they could get away with stopping another train without raising suspicion. I think they are planning to cook for awhile with this methylamine so that the DEA will think they've found another supplier and move on from the Madrigal warehouse. If they were planning on leaving the tanks you would think they would bury them deeper?

WindomURL
08-14-2012, 07:47 AM
I also like how Jesse has evolved into the brains of the outfit. He is one coming up with all the great ideas, and solving the issues Walt used to take care of in his more brutal manner.

I was actually thinking why didn't they find a way to switch out the methylamine with something, as that seemed like the best way to get the job done.

Totally agree with what you say about Jesse. Not only that, but Aaron Paul does something amazing that I just noticed on my 4th(!) rewatch.

In the scene where Jesse comes up with the idea on how to steal the methylamine undetected, watch what he's doing while Walt and Mike are arguing back and forth.

Gah, I'm not sure if I can type out an understandable description but here goes...

He's doing that thing where you plug the top opening of a drinking straw with your finger, lift it out of your cup so that the liquid is suspended in the straw, then watch the liquid pour out as you release your finger. I'm sure most of you have done this at some time. As he does it over and over again while listening to Walt and Mike, watch Jesse closely.
You can practically "see" his idle actions turning into his brilliant idea on the spot.

Maybe I'm alone thinking this, but that's Emmy award worthy stuff right there!

BlackEleven
08-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Don't think they could get away with stopping another train without raising suspicion. I think they are planning to cook for awhile with this methylamine so that the DEA will think they've found another supplier and move on from the Madrigal warehouse. If they were planning on leaving the tanks you would think they would bury them deeper?

I don't think he meant rob another train, I think he meant leave the methylamine in the buried tank and just go back to it and fill a barrel or two at a time as need dictates.

I was wondering about that myself. I'm not sure how far that spot is from where they cook, but it might be hard to hide a 1000 gallon (~4000L) tank full of methylamine in any of the locations they currently have access to.

BlackEleven
08-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Totally agree with what you say about Jesse. Not only that, but Aaron Paul does something amazing that I just noticed on my 4th(!) rewatch.

In the scene where Jesse comes up with the idea on how to steal the methylamine undetected, watch what he's doing while Walt and Mike are arguing back and forth.

Gah, I'm not sure if I can type out an understandable description but here goes...

He's doing that thing where you plug the top opening of a drinking straw with your finger, lift it out of your cup so that the liquid is suspended in the straw, then watch the liquid pour out as you release your finger. I'm sure most of you have done this at some time. As he does it over and over again while listening to Walt and Mike, watch Jesse closely.
You can practically "see" his idle actions turning into his brilliant idea on the spot.

Maybe I'm alone thinking this, but that's Emmy award worthy stuff right there!

I noticed this too. I was also doing something similar when he came up with the magnet idea.

It's interesting how Jesse is turning into the old Walt -- the moral guy that comes up with good ideas -- and Walt is turning into the old Jesse -- misanthropic and immoral.

FlamesAddiction
08-14-2012, 10:25 AM
I noticed this too. I was also doing something similar when he came up with the magnet idea.

It's interesting how Jesse is turning into the old Walt -- the moral guy that comes up with good ideas -- and Walt is turning into the old Jesse -- misanthropic and immoral.

It is pretty cool, but it also makes sense. In the first season, Walt made a comment about how Jesse was brilliant student but lacked guidance. In later episodes, Jesse seemed the happiest when they would pull off some type of endeavor based on science (Yay! Science!).

blankall
08-14-2012, 10:30 AM
I don't think he meant rob another train, I think he meant leave the methylamine in the buried tank and just go back to it and fill a barrel or two at a time as need dictates.

I was wondering about that myself. I'm not sure how far that spot is from where they cook, but it might be hard to hide a 1000 gallon (~4000L) tank full of methylamine in any of the locations they currently have access to.

Could they not store it in the same truck the used to fill the undreground tank with water?

The area seemed somewhat high traffic to me. There was the dirtbike kid, also the truck that came and pushed them off the railtracks. It seems as though someone would stumble across the Methylamine if it was just in the dessert and only burried a few inches below the ground. You also run the risk of getting caught when you go out to the dessert to fill up.

Makes much more sense to just have the Methylamine in the truck in some building or garage somewhere. Then take barrels out of it as you need them.

Displaced Flames fan
08-14-2012, 10:55 AM

Lots and lots of people who have a rural, outdoor lifestyle. I wasn't much for dirtbikes, but I was out doing all kinds of stuff that could be construed as dangerous way before I was 12.

Jacks
08-14-2012, 11:49 AM
A 1000 gallon tank probably wouldn't look out of place at the pest control company.

or put it into relabeled barrels.

blankall
08-14-2012, 12:29 PM
A 1000 gallon tank probably wouldn't look out of place at the pest control company.

or put it into relabeled barrels.

Yup.

This is what a 1000 galon tank looks like:

http://www.dimensionsinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/1000-Gallon-Tank.jpghttp://www.dimensionsinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/1000-Gallon-Tank.jpg

That could easily be stored anywhere. Especially if you own a pesticide company.

Wormius
08-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Yup.

This is what a 1000 galon tank looks like:

http://www.dimensionsinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/1000-Gallon-Tank.jpghttp://www.dimensionsinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/1000-Gallon-Tank.jpg

That could easily be stored anywhere. Especially if you own a pesticide company.

If they had that, they could have just parked that underneath the train bridge without anybody seeing it, and driven off after without having to dig it up again. Which makes me curious, how much would that weigh when full? I can just imagine them screwing up and piercing the side of it when excavating, unless of coure they just pump it out into something else and remove the container when it's empty.

Wormius
08-14-2012, 09:58 PM

I don't believe that Jesse,even at his worst, was anywhere close to being as bad as Walt is now. Jesse seemed to have a conscience through those times, even when he was getting people re-addicted to meth.

By the way, anybody notice a change in Jesse/Aaron Paul's appearance this season? His face looks kind of like he just had his widsom teeth pulled out or something.

MrMastodonFarm
08-14-2012, 10:49 PM
If they had that, they could have just parked that underneath the train bridge without anybody seeing it, and driven off after without having to dig it up again. Which makes me curious, how much would that weigh when full? I can just imagine them screwing up and piercing the side of it when excavating, unless of coure they just pump it out into something else and remove the container when it's empty.

They buried it so the train conductors wouldn't see anything as they passed by and wonder what the heck was going on back there when they were forced to stop seconds later.

Flame Of Liberty
08-14-2012, 10:57 PM
I don't know, I feel like the show is starting to lose its gritty down to earth vibe and starting to look too cliche, too Hollywood and ehmm... too unrealistic.

OK let me explain... at the beginning the story was about a regular guy pushed to venture past his boundaries. But even then, the story had a sense of "realism." Example: remember when they were cooking in RV and dissolving bodies in acid, they had to solve realistic problems (who knew, its quite difficult to find a plastic bathtub big enough if you want to give dead body an acid bath). It was a drama, it was a fiction, but you thought "yup I can see this happening in real life (in America :)

Now? They have the equipment, knowledge and manpower to do elaborate heists (the huge magnet, the equipment they use when they cook, the shenenigans in Hank's office, machinery, equipment and tools for the train robbery etc etc). Everything they need is conveniently within their arm's reach. I mean why don't you rob a bank and get it over with?

Wormius
08-14-2012, 11:10 PM
I fail to see how the conductor or engineer would be able to see the tanks if they were set directly underneath the bridge. It just wouldn't be within their field of view. It also looked like there was a lot of room between the bridge supports. They could have then just driven off after the heist, rather than the awkward task of removing those tanks and possibly being questioned (not that they anticipated killing the kid) by search teams.

It wouldn't be any more conspicuous than Walt was sitting off by the side with a hose stuck in the ground.

Stampede2TheCup
08-15-2012, 12:04 AM

I agree. Killing the kid was obviously disturbing but I don't think the effort they went to in order avoid killing the train crew was really because of a very big moral hurdle. I think with a little more internal debate they would have all agreed to kill the train crew but they just found another plan that was cleaner and wouldn't draw attention to the robbery. It seemed to me like the conversation seemed to be headed towards "Ok what's the best way to pull this off? We have to kill the crew? Ok, I gues if we have to."

You're right though I think the fact the shooting of the kid was after the tension of the robbery ended peacefully made it a bit more shocking.

Stampede2TheCup
08-15-2012, 12:18 AM
I don't know, I feel like the show is starting to lose its gritty down to earth vibe and starting to look too cliche, too Hollywood and ehmm... too unrealistic.

OK let me explain... at the beginning the story was about a regular guy pushed to venture past his boundaries. But even then, the story had a sense of "realism." Example: remember when they were cooking in RV and dissolving bodies in acid, they had to solve realistic problems (who knew, its quite difficult to find a plastic bathtub big enough if you want to give dead body an acid bath). It was a drama, it was a fiction, but you thought "yup I can see this happening in real life (in America :)

Now? They have the equipment, knowledge and manpower to do elaborate heists (the huge magnet, the equipment they use when they cook, the shenenigans in Hank's office, machinery, equipment and tools for the train robbery etc etc). Everything they need is conveniently within their arm's reach. I mean why don't you rob a bank and get it over with?

That could certainly be argued at many points in past seasons too. The degree of down-to-earth realism is somewhat subjective. I think they naturally had to lose some degree of realism because of how long the storyline has been developing. It has to either keep progressing or end. They can't take out all the drug drama or rehash earlier parts of the path they've been on. They said they always knew they'd have to end the show at a certain point no matter how successful it was because this pressure-cooker storyline can't just continue forever and still work. While it's lost some of it's realism, I think the amount of believability the show holds is still a huge part of the show's charm.

Flame Of Liberty
08-15-2012, 12:49 AM
That could certainly be argued at many points in past seasons too. The degree of down-to-earth realism is somewhat subjective. I think they naturally had to lose some degree of realism because of how long the storyline has been developing. It has to either keep progressing or end. They can't take out all the drug drama or rehash earlier parts of the path they've been on. They said they always knew they'd have to end the show at a certain point no matter how successful it was because this pressure-cooker storyline can't just continue forever and still work. While it's lost some of it's realism, I think the amount of believability the show holds is still a huge part of the show's charm.

Yeah, acting is what sets it apart from other traditional tv/movie fare.

And the kid getting shot in the face. Hats off.

Mike Vernon
08-15-2012, 05:28 AM
Looked like a shot to the shoulder to me.....

I think the kid is still alive, I guess we will see....

blankall
08-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Looked like a shot to the shoulder to me.....

I think the kid is still alive, I guess we will see....

QEViTUx0smI

Kid could easily be alive. Definitely not a head shot.

BlackRedGold25
08-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Does anyone really think Todd shot the kid just to injure him? No. The kid is dead. No half measures.

How the hell would they explain away a kid getting shot? They couldn't. The heist would be investigated, the people involved would be identified and they'd all be up crap creek.

hondabbl
08-15-2012, 11:36 AM
I am pretty sure the kid dies. Its in the preview for the next episode

Caged Great
08-15-2012, 12:14 PM
The kid is dead, or will be soon. Can't leave witnesses.

blankall
08-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Does anyone really think Todd shot the kid just to injure him? No. The kid is dead. No half measures.

How the hell would they explain away a kid getting shot? They couldn't. The heist would be investigated, the people involved would be identified and they'd all be up crap creek.

Todd is a pesticide guy and part-time theif. He isn't a professional hitman. He obviously intended to kill the kid. Whether or not he was successful has yet to be fully determined.

Wormius
08-15-2012, 01:54 PM
I agree. Killing the kid was obviously disturbing but I don't think the effort they went to in order avoid killing the train crew was really because of a very big moral hurdle. I think with a little more internal debate they would have all agreed to kill the train crew but they just found another plan that was cleaner and wouldn't draw attention to the robbery. It seemed to me like the conversation seemed to be headed towards "Ok what's the best way to pull this off? We have to kill the crew? Ok, I gues if we have to."

You're right though I think the fact the shooting of the kid was after the tension of the robbery ended peacefully made it a bit more shocking.

I think from Jesse's perspective it was about not killing anybody, he just had to convince Walt and Mike that a method that didn't involve killing anybody would work better than what they had been considering before.

Wormius
08-15-2012, 01:57 PM
Todd is a pesticide guy and part-time theif. He isn't a professional hitman. He obviously intended to kill the kid. Whether or not he was successful has yet to be fully determined.

Todd could go in for the kill shot, knowing that he only hit the kid's shoulder. It didn't look like he stopped walking towards the kid after he shot him despite Jesse's yelling.

FlamesAddiction
08-15-2012, 03:35 PM
I wonder if this will make Jesse go back to being a junkie again. He is kind of weak that way.

Matata
08-15-2012, 05:41 PM
Alternate ending:

9nmxRGD2CLU

Stampede2TheCup
08-15-2012, 06:52 PM
I think from Jesse's perspective it was about not killing anybody, he just had to convince Walt and Mike that a method that didn't involve killing anybody would work better than what they had been considering before.

Yes they all fall on different parts of the scale but I was referring to them collectively as a group making the decision.

Flash Walken
08-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Matata, I lol'd hard at that one.

Good work sniffing that one out!

Pizza
08-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Yeah, acting is what sets it apart from other traditional tv/movie fare.

And the kid getting shot in the face. Hats off.

Indeed

That was the most brilliant part of the show. Nobody expected it when they've just went through all that work to smoothly pull off the heist. Even after the one minute "WTF is this crap a nobody kid?" build up before the title.

Bravo Breaking Bad writers! you have us all talking about the show

Pizza
08-15-2012, 09:38 PM
One hole in the storyline i cant seem to shake...

Wasnt Gomi supposed to be in El Paso after getting promoted over Hank?

it's like he's still hanging out at the old office

Wormius
08-15-2012, 09:53 PM
Some pics from "Buyout" via Twitter. Discussion fodder.

https://p.twimg.com/A0X5bzHCQAAXO2X.jpg:large

https://p.twimg.com/A0TVQ7rCMAESsyx.jpg:large

nik-
08-15-2012, 09:54 PM
dammit I wish I hadn't of clicked that.

WindomURL
08-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Alternate ending:

9nmxRGD2CLU

That was pretty, pretty, pretty good!

Wormius
08-15-2012, 10:20 PM
dammit I wish I hadn't of clicked that.

I think those are up for interpretation, at least the Todd pic. What I would wonder if what the 3 of them are doing together for dinner. I would be really curious if what Walt is thinking about with Lydia, would be what Skylar is thinking about with Jesse - why did you want to kill him, and can you try again.

nik-
08-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Yeah, the second pic was along the lines of what I was expecting so it's cool. I would have liked the first pic to be a surprise though because the awesomeness potential of that is amazing.

Mea Culpa.

BlackRedGold25
08-15-2012, 10:24 PM
I think those are up for interpretation, at least the Todd pic. What I would wonder if what the 3 of them are doing together for dinner.

I suspect Walt is just demonstrating to Skyler that he's in control and can do what he wants.

Flash Walken
08-15-2012, 10:29 PM
y'all should take that to spoilers for those of us who ain't got no time for no stankin' leaks!

Wormius
08-15-2012, 10:37 PM
y'all should take that to spoilers for those of us who ain't got no time for no stankin' leaks!

Sorry - I have spoilerized it now.

fredr123
08-16-2012, 08:18 AM
I watched the last episode with the kids making a bunch of noise, so I think I might have missed something. Can someone explain how the gang was able to figure out the exact distance from the train crossing to plan their heist? I thought Lydia said the train gets broken down and reassembled and she won't know which car contains the methylamine until she gets the manifest between midnight and 2:00 am? Would the manifest even tell you where in the close to a mile of train cars the meth car was located? How would they have known so far in advance where to bury the containers?

YYC in LAX
08-16-2012, 11:06 AM
I don't think the kid is dead....yet.

I think this will lead to Jesse's desire to get him help while Walt might want him dead. Mike and Walt will naturally disagree on something and create a bigger rift between them. No doubt, Mike will be pissed that Walt kept the transfer going while Mike told him to stop and get out of there. Greedy Walt.

Just a guess.

FlamesAddiction
08-16-2012, 11:57 AM
I don't think the kid is dead....yet.

I think this will lead to Jesse's desire to get him help while Walt might want him dead. Mike and Walt will naturally disagree on something and create a bigger rift between them. No doubt, Mike will be pissed that Walt kept the transfer going while Mike told him to stop and get out of there. Greedy Walt.

Just a guess.

I don't think Walt was being greedy there. At that point, he was transferring water back in. He already had the product out.

It was more about details and making sure the job was done precisely how it was planned. Leaving too much weight out of the train would be a red flag.

Jacks
08-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Can someone explain how the gang was able to figure out the exact distance from the train crossing to plan their heist? I thought Lydia said the train gets broken down and reassembled and she won't know which car contains the methylamine until she gets the manifest between midnight and 2:00 am? Would the manifest even tell you where in the close to a mile of train cars the meth car was located? How would they have known so far in advance where to bury the containers?
I was thinking the same thing at the time, I imagine they used some creative license since there is no way they would know in advance where the car would land and the odds of it ending up perfect are pretty high. Even if the train would have stopped sooner the car would have been in different location.

I don't think Walt was being greedy there. At that point, he was transferring water back in. He already had the product out.
They were doing both at the same time, sucking the product out the bottom while filling the top with water. The gauge he had was counting up to 1000 gallons but they were only putting 920 gallons of water back in. Also when he yelled to Jesse to stop he shut off the valve under the train car and the liquid had begun to spill over the top of the tank below. He may have been concerned that stopping too soon would throw the weight off though.

fredr123
08-16-2012, 04:30 PM
I was thinking the same thing at the time, I imagine they used some creative license since there is no way they would know in advance where the car would land and the odds of it ending up perfect are pretty high. Even if the train would have stopped sooner the car would have been in different location.

Yah, but Jesse used that measuring device to mark out a precise distance from the crossing and got excited when it finally read a certain distance. Didn't make sense at the time and it makes even less sense to me now.

Edit: Read another perspective on a different forum.

Jesse was measuring the distance from the crossing required for the train to stop, not where the methlyamine car would be.

The crew had long enough hoses to deal with the car being at various places in the train of cars. Cars carrying hazardous materials like methlyamine have to be a minimum distance from the engine so you can sort of rule out a good stretch of cars towards the front of the train.

blankall
08-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Yah, but Jesse used that measuring device to mark out a precise distance from the crossing and got excited when it finally read a certain distance. Didn't make sense at the time and it makes even less sense to me now.

They knew which car the chemical was in. They knew the length of standard train car. It's probably something that works a lot better in theory than reality. However, it's not the most far fetched thing I've ever seen on a TV show.

getbak
08-16-2012, 04:38 PM
They knew which car the chemical was in. They knew the length of standard train car. It's probably something that works a lot better in theory than reality. However, it's not the most far fetched thing I've ever seen on a TV show.
I didn't think they knew which car it was in until they got the call from Lydia, or was she just giving them the time?

Tinordi
08-16-2012, 04:42 PM
If you're getting tied in knots about the train car how do you feel about the magnet?

fredr123
08-16-2012, 04:44 PM
If you're getting tied in knots about the train car how do you feel about the magnet?

The same way I feel about magical bugs and tracking equipment in Hank's office. It's starting to feel like there's too much awesome equipment and happy circumstances that helpfully appear out of nowhere. Mind you, that's been the case throughout the whole series (seriously lucky how that crap Walt threw into the fan in Tuco's place worked out).

Ashasx
08-16-2012, 04:49 PM
I think if you'll watch any television show ever, you'll notice how apparent coincidences drive the story.

Should he have died in the first episode when he tried to kill himself?

Tinordi
08-16-2012, 05:19 PM
Yep it's important not to read too deeply into the kind of show Breaking Bad is. It's not very deep thematically, it's an action show. That doesn't mean it isn't a very well done action show. But this isn't really taking place in 'reality.' So you can let some of that stuff slide so long as it makes sense in the broader context and that they use to advance the story meaningfully.

FlamesAddiction
08-17-2012, 07:04 AM
They were doing both at the same time, sucking the product out the bottom while filling the top with water. The gauge he had was counting up to 1000 gallons but they were only putting 920 gallons of water back in. Also when he yelled to Jesse to stop he shut off the valve under the train car and the liquid had begun to spill over the top of the tank below. He may have been concerned that stopping too soon would throw the weight off though.

But if water is heavier than methylmene, wouldn't it sink to the bottom and contaminate the methylmene that they were removing if that was the case?

I know that they apparently mix in solution, but there would still be some time before the dilution would be uniform.

fredr123
08-17-2012, 08:13 AM
But if water is heavier than methylmene, wouldn't it sink to the bottom and contaminate the methylmene that they were removing if that was the case?

I know that they apparently mix in solution, but there would still be some time before the dilution would be uniform.

They started adding water after about 300 gallons of methyl were already in the tanks. In the Breaking Bad podcast (which I just learned exists) a PA talks about how they spoke to a scientist of some sort about how fast the water would disperse and sink to the bottom and made sure the calculations and flow rates were pretty accurate.

YYC in LAX
08-17-2012, 08:51 AM

It was more about details and making sure the job was done precisely how it was planned. Leaving too much weight out of the train would be a red flag.

No, you're wrong.

nik-
08-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Shoot a kid? Cool. The word ####? NO WAY JOSE!

BlackRedGold25
08-19-2012, 08:16 PM
Whoever thought that stripping down a motorbike could be so damn chilling?

nik-
08-19-2012, 08:17 PM
I thought that opening scene would have perfect if it would have ended on the cat piss comment. The punch made it too TV.

Methanolic
08-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Panicked or just plain sloppy? Allowing Todd to retrieve/keep the spider in the jar, The kid's finger prints are certainly on that jar.

MrMastodonFarm
08-19-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm three minutes into tonights episode, my girlfriend won't watch anymore.

What a show.

nik-
08-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Ugh, 2 more episodes ... stupid split season, this is so lame.

jammies
08-19-2012, 09:19 PM
That dinner scene, and the aftermath, was brilliant. But Walt's fooling himself, if he took the money he could have his kids back because the danger would go away. He just doesn't want to admit to himself that he wants the power more than he wants his family.

nik-
08-19-2012, 09:31 PM
"I'm in the Empire Business" pretty much sums that up.

Wormius
08-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Was really expecting this to go down at dinner.

Skyler: why did you try to kill Walt?

Jesse: yeah, I thought he poisoned my gf's kid with ricin, but it turned out to be Lily of Valley, an accident I guess, yo.

Skyler: oh, Walt had one of those plants, but I don't know where it is now.

Jesse: what? yo?

d_phaneuf
08-19-2012, 11:40 PM
That dinner scene, and the aftermath, was brilliant. But Walt's fooling himself, if he took the money he could have his kids back because the danger would go away. He just doesn't want to admit to himself that he wants the power more than he wants his family.

I think he's fully admitted it to himself

d_phaneuf
08-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Was really expecting this to go down at dinner.

Skyler: why did you try to kill Walt?

Jesse: yeah, I thought he poisoned my gf's kid with ricin, but it turned out to be Lily of Valley, an accident I guess, yo.

Skyler: oh, Walt had one of those plants, but I don't know where it is now.

Jesse: what? yo?

that is completely inconceivable, there's absolutely no way it would go down like that....

0% chance Jesse doesn't have B!tch included in that last line

d_phaneuf
08-19-2012, 11:56 PM
there's a few things now that I just don't think are going to be answered, that won't effect the end of the show but would be interesting to know

Brock and Lily of the Valley

what happened with Walt and Gretchen

those two stick out just from this episode because when Skylar came home I really did think somehow the Lily of the Valley may come up

nik-
08-20-2012, 12:02 AM
I think based on that one historical scene they showed regarding the chemical break down of a human body, I'm betting that Walt was all about Gretchen and she decided to be with that other guy and Walt got all emo. As far as the Lily of the Valley, I doubt Skylar would even make the connection considering all the crap that's happened.

Jacks
08-20-2012, 12:04 AM
Kinda bizarre that Walt wouldn't use the watch straps to protect his wrist. Does the watch mean that much to him?

Lobotroth
08-20-2012, 12:56 AM
I was giddy through that whole dinner scene, the tension and Aaron's acting was just too much.

getbak
08-20-2012, 01:32 AM
Kinda bizarre that Walt wouldn't use the watch straps to protect his wrist. Does the watch mean that much to him?
Once I saw that he was still wearing the watch, I expected him to use the tang on the buckle of the watch strap to lift the ratchet inside the zip tie and remove it that way.

It would have been easier, less painful, and since the watch was a gift from Jesse, would have been another situation where Jesse saved Walt.

Flash Walken
08-20-2012, 01:58 AM
Marie with the line of the episode.

"Doesn't that feel good to get off your chest? *barely audible sigh of relief*

Huntingwhale
08-20-2012, 08:03 AM
That opening scene had to have been one of the most uncomfortable scenes I have ever seen. Especially when they open the one vat to place the body in. Pure evil. I was cracking up hard when Jesse was over at Walt's place. That had to have been the most awkward dinner scene I have ever seen in my life. Pure comedy.

Great episode, as usual each episode gets more and more intense as the season goes on.

YYC in LAX
08-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Darkest episode of the series. Played well with emotions.

dirk diggler
08-20-2012, 11:20 AM
next weeks episode looks pretty good, where Walt meets up with Mikes contacts and they ask him if he is Heisenberg... only 2 episodes left for this split season...

Wormius
08-20-2012, 12:29 PM
there's a few things now that I just don't think are going to be answered, that won't effect the end of the show but would be interesting to know

Brock and Lily of the Valley

what happened with Walt and Gretchen

those two stick out just from this episode because when Skylar came home I really did think somehow the Lily of the Valley may come up

I thought it would have been funny if Skyler just asked Jesse if he could kill Walt for her, while Walt was sitting there at the table.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. I think it was funny how Walt tried to prevent Skyler from accusing him of being a wife beater by making her feel guilty about what the kids would think of him, and then he pulled that on Skyler. I think she may feel a lot less guilty about doing that now, but might just come across as sour grapes.

BlackRedGold25
08-20-2012, 01:33 PM
"Billions.... With a B"

That conversation might be the only sympathic thing to come out of Walt's mouth this season. Can you imagine living with throwing away that much money for a few months rent? It'd be worse than losing a winning lottery ticket. Clearly it weighs heavily on Walt.

Deuce Bigalow
08-20-2012, 01:48 PM
what was Walts plan with the chemicals in the last scene? I couldn't make out what Jesse was saying, and didn't have it recorded.... thanks!

Table 5
08-20-2012, 01:59 PM
what was Walts plan with the chemicals in the last scene? I couldn't make out what Jesse was saying, and didn't have it recorded.... thanks!

They didn't say unfortunately. Tune in next week to find out!

WindomURL
08-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Meth Dealer Walter White Has Been Captured by Police

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7266/7825477922_bf43f81d79.jpg

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/meth-dealer-walter-white-captured-breaking-bad-364095

Yasa
08-20-2012, 02:44 PM
The dinner scene was great. It was a nice throwback to how Jesse was in season 1. He'd been steadily developing into "Serious Jesse" for a while now so it was funny to see him act goofy out of the awkward tension.

I'm pretty much rooting for Mike now. I have a feeling he's going to die though.

fredr123
08-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Anyone jumped ahead and looked at the names of the next few episodes?

Say My Name
Gliding Over All
------
Good Cop/Bad Cop
Wedding Day
TwaüghtHammër
Marie's Confession
The Break-In

No clue what most of those could possibly reference. Although, thanks to one of those titles, I stumbled on to Jesse's old band.

YYC in LAX
08-20-2012, 03:00 PM

Say My Name
Gliding Over All
------
Good Cop/Bad Cop
Wedding Day
TwaüghtHammër
Marie's Confession
The Break-In

No clue what most of those could possibly reference. Although, thanks to one of those titles, I stumbled on to Jesse's old band.

Yeah, pretty obtuse names. I doubt they would release episode names that were spoilers (or at least obvious ones) in themselves.

getbak
08-20-2012, 03:06 PM

Say My Name
Gliding Over All
------
Good Cop/Bad Cop
Wedding Day
TwaüghtHammër
Marie's Confession
The Break-In

Those are the titles of the Minisodes that AMC put online prior to Season 2's premiere in 2009:

http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/good-cop-bad-cop
http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/wedding-day
http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/twaughthammer
http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/maries-confession
http://www.amctv.com/breaking-bad/videos/the-break-in

EDIT: I don't recall seeing those before. Most of them are pretty funny, especially Wedding Day.

I don't think they've even started work on the final 8 episodes, so they won't have titles for them yet.

Superflyer
08-20-2012, 03:07 PM

Just watched it again and it goes
Jessie - "Mike, Mike hold on Mr. Whites got an idea"
Mike - "I'm going to count to 3...1.2."
Jessie - "Mike I'm serious, It's a terrific idea, you get your five million, we both do, and he gets his mythelmine. All Right? Just hear him out"
Mike - "Is that true Walter?"
Walt - "Everybody wins"
Fade to black

I am going to guess one giant marathon cook session.

wpgflamesfan
08-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Just watched it again and it goes
Jessie - "Mike, Mike hold on Mr. Whites got an idea"
Mike - "I'm going to count to 3...1.2."
Jessie - "Mike I'm serious, It's a terrific idea, you get your five million, we both do, and he gets his mythelmine. All Right? Just hear him out"
Mike - "Is that true Walter?"
Walt - "Everybody wins"
Fade to black

I am going to guess one giant marathon cook session.

I'm gonna say Walter agrees to sell the methymine to guys from arizona ont the condition that he gets to cook for them and gets X amount of the profits.

Wormius
08-20-2012, 04:22 PM
What's the chance that Walt just kills those guys and takes the money, and earns more street creds as a badass?

fredr123
08-20-2012, 04:49 PM
I'm gonna say Walter agrees to sell the methymine to guys from arizona ont the condition that he gets to cook for them and gets X amount of the profits.

If that's his plan, I bet something goes awry when Walt insists that those guys work for him. He is, after all, into empire building. It would be a hard pill to swallow for the Emperor to voluntarily demote himself to kitchen staff.

Wormius
08-20-2012, 04:54 PM
If that's his plan, I bet something goes awry when Walt insists that those guys work for him. He is, after all, into empire building. It would be a hard pill to swallow for the Emperor to voluntarily demote himself to kitchen staff.

I agree. And I don't think those guys need Walt anyway. I presume they would be content if he just died instead, and if Walt doesn't sell the methyl-amine, I can see Mike gladly obliging them.

BlackRedGold25
08-20-2012, 05:03 PM
I agree. And I don't think those guys need Walt anyway. I presume they would be content if he just died instead, and if Walt doesn't sell the methyl-amine, I can see Mike gladly obliging them.

I think Walt will propose that he'll make the meth and they'll sell it in Arizona, New Mexico and beyond. With that pure of a product, the AZ guys can expand their territory wherever they want.

The AZ guys wanted the methylamine because it would take the blue meth they're competing with off the market. But if they start selling the blue meth, they have the advantage on their competitors.

Wormius
08-20-2012, 05:10 PM
While trying to find the preview for next weeks episode, I serendipitously stumbled across this:

Walt Whitman - Gliding Over All.

GLIDING o’er all, through all,
Through Nature, Time, and Space,
As a ship on the waters advancing,
The voyage of the soul—not life alone,
Death, many deaths I’ll sing.

edit: and of course, I had the wrong episode name, so... that explains virtually no search results from youtube videos.

FlamesAddiction
08-20-2012, 05:27 PM
What's the chance that Walt just kills those guys and takes the money, and earns more street creds as a badass?

The thought crossed my mind. If he does though, he is going to have to kill Mike too because Mike is clearly at the end of his rope with Walt. That's twice now that Mike was all but ready to shoot him.

HelloHockeyFans
08-20-2012, 05:58 PM
I was giddy through that whole dinner scene, the tension and Aaron's acting was just too much.

Ha ha yeah. Priceless facial expressions while he was taking those gulps of water!

BlackEleven
08-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Did anyone else get the impression Todd was a sociopath when he was looking at the spider in the jar? The way he smiled gave me the thought that he was keeping the spider as a trophy.

MrMastodonFarm
08-20-2012, 07:56 PM
http://i.imgur.com/OZbnz.png

http://i.imgur.com/PQ1rh.png

Aaron Paul on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

Sweet!

http://www.abload.de/img/1345430896132spxyq.gif

getbak
08-20-2012, 08:14 PM
I wonder if there's going to be a spike in sales of green beans from the deli at Albertsons?

http://i.imgur.com/Twffw.gif

Machiavelli
08-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Aaron Paul absolutely killed it in this past episode. He constantly outdoes himself as the series progresses, IMO.

DownInFlames
08-20-2012, 09:28 PM
I wonder if there's going to be a spike in sales of green beans from the deli at Albertsons?

That was some pretty blatant product placement. Can you even get paper bags in grocery stores any more?

I agree that Paul's performance was awesome. I'm hoping Jesse manages to make it out alive.

Wormius
08-21-2012, 12:22 AM
I always thought the Dodge product placements were pretty bad / very obvious. Of course whenever I see two or more of the same vehicle makes shown on any tv show I immediately assume it's a product placement (see "Heroes" and Nissan for the most blatant examples)

Thor
08-21-2012, 03:05 AM
Assume in all TV shows that any brand you see has paid to be there or at least given permission for it.

Wormius
08-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Did Walt retrieve his watch after he freed himself in "Buyout" or take it off to cook? Hank made a note about the watch a couple of episodes ago, and Walt wasn't wearing it in the opener. I think maybe Hank finds it and finally puts it together - started thinking about it after it looks like the DEA is raiding someplace and maybe Walt left his watch behind in next weeks preview.

YYC in LAX
08-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Did Walt retrieve his watch after he freed himself in "Buyout" or take it off to cook? Hank made a note about the watch a couple of episodes ago, and Walt wasn't wearing it in the opener. I think maybe Hank finds it and finally puts it together - started thinking about it after it looks like the DEA is raiding someplace and maybe Walt left his watch behind in next weeks preview.

Walt put his watch in his pocket during his escape.

Awesome point though. Definitely don't want to leave that behind at a cook site or at their office.

Wormius
08-21-2012, 08:19 AM

Awesome point though. Definitely don't want to leave that behind at a cook site or at their office.

And Jesse probably inscribed it with something like, "Mr. White: Thanks for teaching me how to cook meth right, yo, b*tch"

BlackEleven
08-21-2012, 08:30 AM

It's interesting that Walt is wearing long sleeves covering his watch in the opening scene of the premiere. It would have been telling to see if he was still wearing the watch at that point.

fredr123
08-21-2012, 09:39 AM

According to the Insider Podcast, it was Paul's idea to chow down on the green beans like that. You can imagine how many takes they took to get that scene just right and how many bloody green beans with slivered almonds buddy had to eat during the course of shooting. Likewise, all the watered-down white grape juice Anna Gunn consumed made her ill.

blankall
08-21-2012, 09:45 AM
I always thought the Dodge product placements were pretty bad / very obvious. Of course whenever I see two or more of the same vehicle makes shown on any tv show I immediately assume it's a product placement (see "Heroes" and Nissan for the most blatant examples)

The strange thing is the Pontiac Aztec. That company doesn't exist anymore....maybe that's the point though. The Aztec is suppossed to be his poor man beater car. They don't want to offend anyone by stating their current product is a beater.

Wormius
08-21-2012, 10:01 AM
Maybe Pontiac didn't want to pay for advertising so the producers got back at them by highlighting their ugliest car.

Table 5
08-21-2012, 10:04 AM
If anything, Breaking Bad made the Aztek slightly cooler. It now has a tinge of street cred!

blankall
08-21-2012, 10:16 AM
If anything, Breaking Bad made the Aztek slightly cooler. It now has a tinge of street cred!

Fair enough. I guess the Aztec didn't really have a reputation to tarnish. It was widely known as one of the ugliest cars of all time and largely blamed for Pontiac's quick demise.

Now that I think about it, in the episode where Walt sells it, the dealer goes out of his way to comment on how reliable the car is.

Table 5
08-21-2012, 10:27 AM
People make fun of the Aztek (and rightly so), but it was actually a bit ahead of the curve in it's day, as it pioneered the crossover trend of today. I guess it had the right idea, just not the right packaging.

YYC in LAX
08-21-2012, 01:22 PM
People make fun of the Aztek (and rightly so), but it was actually a bit ahead of the curve in it's day, as it pioneered the crossover trend of today. I guess it had the right idea, just not the right packaging.

On the topic of the Aztek, and for those who don't know, Vince Gilligan had it custom painted in that dull green shade to better demonstrate Walt's dull personality and weathered physical/mental health. Naturally, through his progression, it's fitting that he upgrades to a more non-practical and flashy car.

BlackEleven
08-21-2012, 02:54 PM
On the topic of the Aztek, and for those who don't know, Vince Gilligan had it custom painted in that dull green shade to better demonstrate Walt's dull personality and weathered physical/mental health. Naturally, through his progression, it's fitting that he upgrades to a more non-practical and flashy car.

I think a bulldozer would be more suited to his current personality.

Eastern Girl
08-21-2012, 04:22 PM
I think what chilled me the most about the episode is how cold Walt was about the kid. I mean, he talked to Jesse and said that he could barely sleep over it and then turns around and starts whistling a jaunty tune. Very eerie stuff.

They really ramped up the transformation into kingpin. It seems there is no Walt left at this point, only Heisenberg. It's also still amazing to me how great Cranston is. Paul is getting a lot of praise lately, all deserved of course, but Cranston is just such a great actor with absolutely incredible range. It's funny to think back about him tramping around in his tighty whiteys and an apron in the middle of the desert.

getbak
08-21-2012, 04:33 PM
I think what chilled me the most about the episode is how cold Walt was about the kid. I mean, he talked to Jesse and said that he could barely sleep over it and then turns around and starts whistling a jaunty tune. Very eerie stuff.
To make it even more chilling, according to some with a better ear for music than I, the jaunty tune he was whistling was Queen's "Lily of the Valley".

Table 5
08-21-2012, 04:41 PM
What's funny is that with all the empire talk, has Walt ever had less than he does now? He practically has no wife, barely sees his kids, doesn't seem to be making that much money (definitely not as much as with Gus), and is partners in some piddly little operation that's been on shaky ground from the start.

He's basically got a watch and a car to show for it all. That's an empire?

Bunk
08-21-2012, 04:43 PM
^ Definitely. But clearly what he truly loves is the game.

malcolmk14
08-21-2012, 04:50 PM
To make it even more chilling, according to some with a better ear for music than I, the jaunty tune he was whistling was Queen's "Lily of the Valley".

Wow, fantastic catch.

BlackRedGold25
08-21-2012, 04:56 PM
What's funny is that with all the empire talk, has Walt ever had less than he does now? He practically has no wife, barely sees his kids, doesn't seem to be making that much money (definitely not as much as with Gus), and is partners in some piddly little operation that's been on shaky ground from the start.

He's got power. He no longer answers to anyone and others answer to him (even if some don't know it).

He's now running a startup with great growth potential as opposed to being an employee of a larger, but more mature, business.

Table 5
08-21-2012, 05:26 PM
There's potential for power and success, I'm just not really seeing it yet. Jesse comes up with all the ideas, Mike does all the work, and Walt just plays king inside of his head while pretty much always putting the operation in danger.

If Mike and Jesse exit the business (which I don't see happening, despite last episode), can you really see Walt pulling it all off on his own? He'll be too busy congratulating himself while eating KD in his underwear.

BlackEleven
08-22-2012, 09:09 AM
There's potential for power and success, I'm just not really seeing it yet. Jesse comes up with all the ideas, Mike does all the work, and Walt just plays king inside of his head while pretty much always putting the operation in danger.

If Mike and Jesse exit the business (which I don't see happening, despite last episode), can you really see Walt pulling it all off on his own? He'll be too busy congratulating himself while eating KD in his underwear.

I think Walt could get by without Jesse. I don't think Walt's incapable of ideas now, he's just distracted from arguing with Mike all the time. His major problem remains distribution. He has no idea how to handle that and every time he's tried in the past it's ended in disaster.

As someone else suggested I think he'll end up using the people who wanted to purchase the methylamine (Colonel Young from Stargate) for distribution. But eventually, I think that'll cause problems for him as well when he'll start to feel like he's working as their cook rather than them working as his distributors.

HalifaxDrunk
08-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Don't forget approximately 1,000 gallons of methlamine! I know he technically only owns a third of it but he currently has it all.

FlamesAddiction
08-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Don't forget approximately 1,000 gallons of methlamine! I know he technically only owns a third of it but he currently has it all.

And notoriety. Even the Phoenix mob has heard of Heisenberg. That's something he never had before. I think back to the 1st season when he worked at the car wash and the students made fun of him for it.

Maybe that's not an empire, but it's only been about 1 year in the show. In 1 year, that is a long way to come.

Tinordi
08-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Love the arc of Walt. Three seasons ago, the deal that was presented to him would have exceeded his wildest dreams. Now it was completely in character for him to reject the deal. Of course after rejecting that deal Walt banished any sympathy the viewer should have for him. He had the choice to step out of the illegal drug business and supplying highly addictive drugs to the underclass, return himself and his family to a life of relative safety, repair the fragments that once was his family, and avoid having any more blood on his hands. The choice couldn't have been easier.

But no, his vanity and ego have driven him to pursue Walt's perverse interests over anyone else's including his family, his extended family (Hank and the storm that will come down on him after he DEA finds out about Walt) and his closest friend (Jesse). What's even more concerning is that Walt is rationalizing this behaviour out of sheer conceit that he deserves better, he deserved a piece of the grey matter pie and to hell with everything else. What a sad, sick little man.

Huntingwhale
08-22-2012, 03:46 PM

Amazing. The entire time Walk was whistling, Jesse had a disgusted look on his face. Probably because he was wondering how Walt could whistle a tune after all that has happened, but I wonder if he recognized it and put 2 and 2 together....

Great catch.

malcolmk14
08-22-2012, 07:09 PM
I think he sort of recognized the tune but couldn't place it. I bet he hears the song in a subsequent episode and puts it together though.

malcolmk14
08-22-2012, 07:21 PM
In the season premiere Walter handed the girl at Denny's a drivers license that said "New Hampshire" and his name was Lambert, which is Marie and Skyler's maiden name.

Interestingly, Walt Whitman has a poem called Purple Lilacs which references New Hampshire. One of many Walt Whitman references in the show. Might be reading too much into it. But in this show, it's likely it is there for a reason.

Flash Walken
08-22-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm loving this thread for the catches that I don't get, even upon a third viewing.

Wormius
08-22-2012, 09:28 PM
In the season premiere Walter handed the girl at Denny's a drivers license that said "New Hampshire" and his name was Lambert, which is Marie and Skyler's maiden name.

Interestingly, Walt Whitman has a poem called Purple Lilacs which references New Hampshire. One of many Walt Whitman references in the show. Might be reading too much into it. But in this show, it's likely it is there for a reason.

Any idea which book of Walt Whitman's poetry did Walter have a few episodes back? They made a point of showing Walter with it when he was moving back into the house. With that, the title of the last episode, and Walter's comment about Walt Whitman to Hank about Gale's notebook something might be brewing.

This is interesting how the roles have changed with everybody. Walt is now to Hank what Gus was to Hank's previous supervisor; Skyler (I think) is plotting ways to kill Walt, probably by turning Jesse against Walt the way Walt did to try to get him to kill Gus.

By the way, I may have missed it, but I am under the impression that Walt told Saul about poisoning Brock? Is that right? If so, why would he tell him?

Arbitor
08-22-2012, 10:16 PM
By the way, I may have missed it, but I am under the impression that Walt told Saul about poisoning Brock? Is that right? If so, why would he tell him?

He needed to get the ricin cigarette off of Jesse somehow. Saul would have inquired about it.

malcolmk14
08-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Any idea which book of Walt Whitman's poetry did Walter have a few episodes back? They made a point of showing Walter with it when he was moving back into the house. With that, the title of the last episode, and Walter's comment about Walt Whitman to Hank about Gale's notebook something might be brewing.

Leaves of Grass, which contained Gale Bedeker's favourite poem, when I heard the Learn'd Astronomer.

Ashasx
08-26-2012, 09:01 PM
What a gruesome episode.

It's all going to come crashing down now.

Ark2
08-26-2012, 09:13 PM
It's strange, but it feels like of all the terrible things that Walt has done, the one that I have the most trouble with is him refusing to pay Jesse.

MrMastodonFarm
08-26-2012, 09:15 PM
It's strange, but it feels like of all the terrible things that Walt has done, the one that I have the most trouble with is him refusing to pay Jesse.

It shows that he is willing to just plain ol' screw over, without even trying to manipulate, the guy who has always had his back. Walt would try to finesse Jesse before, isn't even willing to do that anymore.

What an episode... but I always say that.

Ashasx
08-26-2012, 09:17 PM
The buildup just before Walt did it... you knew it was going to happen, you were hoping he wouldn't... it was starting to look like he wouldn't... then bam.

YYC in LAX
08-26-2012, 09:18 PM
First time I've truly been hurt by Walt's actions. Noooooooooo

sun
08-26-2012, 09:25 PM
I actually lol'd when he said he could get the names from Lydia anyways haha. What a great show. How many episodes left this season? One?

YYC in LAX
08-26-2012, 09:32 PM
I actually lol'd when he said he could get the names from Lydia anyways haha. What a great show. How many episodes left this season? One?

Yep. One more on the episode run. Then another 8 to finish the season and series next summer.

Ashasx
08-26-2012, 09:36 PM
1 more episode and then we have to wait another year...

Displaced Flames fan
08-26-2012, 09:40 PM
I loved watching Mike take Walt back to that helpless, underachieving weakling in a matter of 20 seconds. Walt almost cowered away like a beaten dog, but in the end he couldn't handle feeling like that again.

Wormius
08-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Have to avoid this thread until I get back near a TV! So hard! Guess I will have to watch the last two episodes in rapid fashion.

BlackRedGold25
08-26-2012, 10:18 PM
Gomey looked like he was going to rape that lawyer when he busted him at the bank. That was one twisted grin he had on his face.

Mike F
08-26-2012, 10:38 PM
I'm on record in this thread as putting Breaking Bad up with the greatest shows of all time, and I can't think anything I'd considered a real misstep up until tonight, but the "Say my name!" bit? Terrible. Way, way below this show.

MrMastodonFarm
08-26-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm on record in this thread as putting Breaking Bad up with the greatest shows of all time, and I can't think anything I'd considered a real misstep up until tonight, but the "Say my name!" bit? Terrible. Way, way below this show.

Walt's ego wanted knowledge they've heard of him. I bought it.

Flames_Gimp
08-26-2012, 10:41 PM
wow just wow. great episode, great season !

Mightyfire89
08-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Sad to see Mike go. I liked that character.

trackercowe
08-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Does anyone feel like they have put 2-3 seasons worth of storylines in the past 7 episodes? Not saying that's a bad thing, but they sure are moving things along at a rapid rate. I sort of wish they could of expanded the story from this season and shortened the one's in seasons two or three.

Also I assume they found the deposit box Mike left for the granddaughter? That's sort of a downer, since saving money for her was the only reason he stayed in the business this long. I hope Walt steps up and gives her a bit of money, but I doubt it considering his stance against legacy costs.

BlackRedGold25
08-26-2012, 11:09 PM
It was interesting that despite Walt's newly found bravado, the first time he ever tried to directly kill someone in cold blood he regressed right back to that frantic nervous Walt from the first season.

Coys1882
08-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Now unless I'm mistaken - that was the only connection the 9 people had to Walt. Now that tie is severed aren't they essentially 'free and clear' again? Lydia knows their faces but she doesn't know who they are.

nik-
08-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Gomey looked like he was going to rape that lawyer when he busted him at the bank. That was one twisted grin he had on his face.

http://www.randomtuesday.com/archive/Breaking%20Bad/Gomez.gif

trackercowe
08-26-2012, 11:52 PM
Now unless I'm mistaken - that was the only connection the 9 people had to Walt. Now that tie is severed aren't they essentially 'free and clear' again? Lydia knows their faces but she doesn't know who they are.

Well she obviously knows who they are considering she gave a list of their names to the hitman who tried to kill Mike (and he was supposed to "do them in" after). What I don't understand is why Walt really cares about them, those nine don't know who he is, or what he is up to now. They had knowledge of Gus' operation, but knew nothing of cook's identities.

Ashasx
08-26-2012, 11:56 PM
The problem would be Lydia, no? They know of her, and she'll rat out everyone, including Walt, to save herself.

Coys1882
08-26-2012, 11:58 PM
Well she obviously knows who they are considering she gave a list of their names to the hitman who tried to kill Mike (and he was supposed to "do them in" after). What I don't understand is why Walt really cares about them, those nine don't know who he is, or what he is up to now. They had knowledge of Gus' operation, but knew nothing of cook's identities.I don't recall Jesse and Walt being on the list of people Lydia had marked for the hit.

She knows they are the cooks but I think that's about it....

trackercowe
08-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Does anyone else think something is going to happen between Jesse and Skylar? It seems strange that they have gone from zero contact in a few seasons, to meeting each other twice in the last two episodes (in incredibly awkward fashion I might add).

Jacks
08-27-2012, 12:10 AM
It shows that he is willing to just plain ol' screw over, without even trying to manipulate, the guy who has always had his back
I'd say it's the other way around, Walt has kept Jesse alive on plenty of occasions. If Jesse hadn't been such a junkie screw up there wouldn't have been the problems with Gus in the first place.

What I don't understand is why Walt really cares about them, those nine don't know who he is, or what he is up to now. They had knowledge of Gus' operation, but knew nothing of cook's identities.
At least some of them know who he is. The guy that Mike went to visit in prison was the guy who was running the laundry, he would certainly be able to identify Walt and Jesse. Also they could implicate Lydia who would probably take a deal if caught, she knows a lot now, she probably knows where the pest control place is, their faces, etc. Walt would probably rather take out the 9 others than kill Lydia and his future source of Methylamine.

sun
08-27-2012, 12:55 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4z830ylWk1qie0ivo1_500.png

Kipperriffic
08-27-2012, 01:21 AM
after tonight I am absolutely in love with Walt. No one says "No" to him! Awesome.

Arbitor
08-27-2012, 01:39 AM
Does anyone else think something is going to happen between Jesse and Skylar? It seems strange that they have gone from zero contact in a few seasons, to meeting each other twice in the last two episodes (in incredibly awkward fashion I might add).

I had the exact same thought when they were in the car wash and Skylar looked back at Jesse.

Mister Yamoto
08-27-2012, 03:12 AM
Wow! That scene in the desert was amazing! I doubt that's how real drug lords make important deals but the hollywood way likely makes for better TV. And why does everybody in New Mexico wear a Jacket?

I predict 10 prison murders next Sunday.

MrMastodonFarm
08-27-2012, 07:21 AM
0u0PpE8MCmU

YYC in LAX
08-27-2012, 08:20 AM
Looked like Hank could have possibly discovered something in the photos he was looking at during the DEA conference meeting. The music score or whatever it's called took a chilling tone and then seized up when Hank's boss got his attention.

So as per the seasons opening scene, we knew Walter was on the run. We just didn't know from who. I think things are getting way too sloppy and Hank and the DEA will figure it out soon enough. I'm sure Walter will find a way to upset his new employers as well.

Great episode. Sad to see Mike go. As a fan of the show it would be cool to see Gus and Mike again...in signature Breaking Bad form.

Jacks
08-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Looked like Hank could have possibly discovered something in the photos he was looking at during the DEA conference meeting. The music score or whatever it's called took a chilling tone and then seized up when Hank's boss got his attention.
I noticed that too, it was when he was looking at the picture of Mike in the coffee shop, the place where Mike met Lydia.

kukkudo
08-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Walt will go to Todd and use his jail connections to kill those 9 guys imo.

corporatejay
08-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Walt will go to Todd and use his jail connections to kill those 9 guys imo.

Can we just call him Landry, I had no idea who Todd was :D.

YYC in LAX
08-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Can we just call him Landry, I had no idea who Todd was :D.

No.

Breaking Bad > Friday Night Lights.

FlamesAddiction
08-27-2012, 10:42 AM
It's funny how the writers can take a character like Mike and make viewers sympathetic to him. In the context of the story, it is safe to assume that Mike murdered people for money and for self-preservation along the way, just as Walt has.

I loved the image of Walt marching in an angry fashion back to Mike's car to shoot him. The episode had a "Fargo" kind of feel to it. Dark, but funny.

Wormius
08-27-2012, 11:24 AM
Sad to see Mike go. I liked that character.

:'(

Must change Tapatalk settings to not show first line of last post!

Superflyer
08-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Also I assume they found the deposit box Mike left for the granddaughter? That's sort of a downer, since saving money for her was the only reason he stayed in the business this long. I hope Walt steps up and gives her a bit of money, but I doubt it considering his stance against legacy costs.

I am going to guess they didn't since they needed the lawyer to flip and give Mike up. If they found the box for his granddaughter then they would have found the card that was left for her, which I am assuming is from Mike. Also her box was not in the regular rotation so it would not have been one of the open ones when the lawyer got caught.

YYC in LAX
08-27-2012, 01:16 PM
I am going to guess they didn't since they needed the lawyer to flip and give Mike up. If they found the box for his granddaughter then they would have found the card that was left for her, which I am assuming is from Mike. Also her box was not in the regular rotation so it would not have been one of the open ones when the lawyer got caught.

No. They said they got it. Something alone the lines of, "twice now, he's lost all his savings."

DownhillGoat
08-27-2012, 02:01 PM
:'(

Must change Tapatalk settings to not show first line of last post!
I watched all 4 1/2 seasons in two weeks just so I can use tapatalk again.

Mike F
08-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Walt's ego wanted knowledge they've heard of him. I bought it.
I bought that Walt would have tried a line like that, but there's no way the other cartel guy goes for it. The ego and machismo the must run through a guy to get to the top of a drug gang, he doesn't give in to a "Say my name" line without a vice squeezing his apples.

GP_Matt
08-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Mike was the only guy left who knew of Gus' Chilean history. I sure hope we get to find out about that before this show is done.

Maybe that is who Walt is fleeing from.

nik-
08-27-2012, 09:26 PM
I loved the image of Walt marching in an angry fashion back to Mike's car to shoot him. The episode had a "Fargo" kind of feel to it. Dark, but funny.

That was the first thought in my head too, a total Fargo moment. Some comedic nerd rage murder.

MrMastodonFarm
08-27-2012, 09:28 PM
Walt racing across the screen was hilarious. I literally laughed out loud and him walking sheepishly out of frame right, then screaming right back in after Mike.. until I was like, oh crap, Walk whatcha doing brother! Oh no... no no no no.

nik-
08-27-2012, 09:33 PM
to be honest I thought he was going to shoot him right away, but they have to remind us occasionally that, in reality, Walt's kind of a chump.

DownInFlames
08-27-2012, 09:42 PM

Walt is just playing gangster. Everything he knows comes from movies like Scarface, so it's not surprising that he's acting like a cliched tough guy.

Flash Walken
08-29-2012, 01:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UJd2N.png

nik-
08-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Heisenbeer?

calumniate
08-29-2012, 02:06 PM

Quite a bit of this episode was sub-par for the acting and dialogue. Kind of a shame considering it was still one of the most exciting ones. I thought Mike was a little lame in this one too with respect to the dialogue, until he got shot of course.

Flash Walken
08-29-2012, 02:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2rZTq.gif

Reaper
08-29-2012, 02:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2rZTq.gif
I kept waiting for Mike to fall over.

DownInFlames
08-29-2012, 07:17 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m911vjrZKE1rzqlhao1_500.jpg

fredr123
08-30-2012, 08:36 AM
FTEOpEGvcKA

This is Jonathan Banks' first on-screen role.

Kt6JI9gzECo

Aaron Paul with wicked hair in a Corn Pops commercial. There are only nine episodes to go to have Jesse and Junior eat Corn Pops together.

All courtesy Entertainment Weekly: http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/08/29/jonathan-banks-breaking-bad-lindas-film-on-menstruation/

DownhillGoat
08-30-2012, 11:15 AM
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/f63fd.gif?w=500&h=281

nik-
08-30-2012, 12:24 PM

I bet he went and bought everything that was in that Showcase and then burned it all in a bonfire out of spite.

Erick Estrada
08-30-2012, 12:35 PM
And why does everybody in New Mexico wear a Jacket?

I would imagine they film the show in fall/winter months and while it's sunny all the time in Albuquerque temperatures can get a little cool in evenings and highs in the low teens which to the locals is cold like our -20C days are cold to us.

I found the Gus and Mike characters really intriguing. I don't think the show is better without them that's for sure.

Muffins
08-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Breaking Bad meets Calvin & Hobbes

http://clayton-hanson.squarespace.com/breaking-calvin-season-1/

Jacks
08-30-2012, 01:13 PM
The price is wrong biatch!

nik-
08-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Breaking Bad meets Calvin & Hobbes

http://clayton-hanson.squarespace.com/breaking-calvin-season-1/

that was not good :confused:

trackercowe
08-30-2012, 02:07 PM
The price is wrong biatch!

I hope he ended up buying that car just for nostalgia sake.

OilKiller
08-31-2012, 05:29 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet or not:

http://i.imgur.com/jslVd.jpg

sun
08-31-2012, 11:17 PM
Read an interesting tidbit on a different site:

Movie night with Walt Jr for Walt is watching Scarface - Bad guy, Pacino, dies in a blaze of glory.
Movie night with Walt Jr for Hank is watching Heat - Good guy, Pacino, kills the bad guy.

Ashasx
09-02-2012, 09:03 PM
How could Walt be so careless?

Dammit. Now we have to wait a year to finish this off. Going to be a wild 8 episodes.

Wood
09-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Wow

I can't wait a year

megatron
09-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Holy ####!

That was a great episode and mid-season finale.

Walt can't be out... can he?

Wood
09-02-2012, 09:25 PM
His cancer has to be back

I can't believe we have to wait a year. What is Hank gonna do when he walks back into the backyard?

getbak
09-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Incredible episode.

Eric Vail
09-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Will Hank confront Walt, and then Walt kills Hank and gives him an acid bath?

trackercowe
09-02-2012, 10:27 PM
I find it hard to believe that Walt can just walk away. Much like with the 10 people he put a hit on tonight, he is far too connected to just walk off into the sunset. It makes you wonder if he appeased his contacts by passing on the formula to Todd and allowing them to continue cooking his crystal meth.

A couple other questions I have involved the Jesse/Walt storyline. Does anyone think that they were trying to resolve his storyline altogether, and he may just be written off for the last 8 episodes? I doubt it I guess, but with only 8 episodes remaining they won't have a lot of room to put time into resolving any issues in their relationship.

Secondly, do you think Walt only gave Jesse the 5 million that was owed to him, or would he have given him more as sort of an apology for everything he did to Jesse? As Skyler said they have enough money to live ten lifetime's so giving much more than the 5 million seems like a reasonable possibility.

Also that Lydia chick is actually pretty damn fine, not bad at all...

Coys1882
09-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Did anyone else think that the scene between Walt and Jesse was possibly Walt establishing to himself and Jesse that they built this business together? I mean we all saw how upset and bitter Walter was about building Grey Matter and being left with only $5,000 for his work, if anyone would understand that feeling it would be Walter.

Wormius
09-02-2012, 11:52 PM
It's going to be interesting game of cat and mouse. With Walt "out", I believe Hank will be in the same boat as he was with Mike. I suppose Hank could start grabbing prints off of stuff for something more conclusive between Gale and Walt. Would be funny if it was that old gas mask they found early on from Walt's school that clinches it.

Still, I don't know if Hank would recognize the connection of the book with Gale and Walt. Merely thinking of "W.W." may have been a paradigm shift.

Question for next season is will Hank play the straight and narrow or break bad himself.

nik-
09-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Still, I don't know if Hank would recognize the connection of the book with Gale and Walt. Merely thinking of "W.W." may have been a paradigm shift.

Oh he recognizes it.

http://www.randomtuesday.com/archive/Breaking%20Bad/hank-finds-out.gif

1stLand
09-02-2012, 11:58 PM
It's going to be interesting game of cat and mouse. With Walt "out", I believe Hank will be in the same boat as he was with Mike. I suppose Hank could start grabbing prints off of stuff for something more conclusive between Gale and Walt. Would be funny if it was that old gas mask they found early on from Walt's school that clinches it.

Question for next season is will Hank play the straight and narrow or break bad himself.

No he knows that Gail Bedector (sp) gave him the book, look at the initials at the end. He also knows Gail likes poetry.

Hank knows for sure now that Heisenber is Walt

Wormius
09-03-2012, 12:06 AM
No he knows that Gail Bedector (sp) gave him the book, look at the initials at the end. He also knows Gail likes poetry.

Hank knows for sure now that Heisenber is Walt

I might have missed something in that earlier episode. Is that a slam dunk for Hank, or just observing a coincidence of the initials. Obviously W.W. is Walt, but aside from assuming G.B is Gale, what does Hank know? I thought it was Walt that suggested that W.W. was for Walt Whitman just to throw Hank off when going through Gale's notebook.

Coys1882
09-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Unless he can pass it off as Gretchen gave it to him? I know her name is Schwartz now but I don't know her maiden name.

d_phaneuf
09-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Gail had Walt Whitman poetry specifically in his book

he 100% made the connection

can't believe we have to wait until next summer, that's the perfect type of cliff hanger

nik-
09-03-2012, 12:12 AM
I might have missed something in that earlier episode. Is that a slam dunk for Hank, or just observing a coincidence of the initials. Obviously W.W. is Walt, but aside from assuming G.B is Gale, what does Hank know? I thought it was Walt that suggested that W.W. was for Walt Whitman just to throw Hank off when going through Gale's notebook.

The funny thing is, the fact that Walt suggest it was Walt Whitman helps Hank bridge the gap.

And yes, that was a slam dunk.

d_phaneuf
09-03-2012, 12:25 AM
interesting quote relating to the final season in a rolling stone interview with Cranston and Paul

putting in spoiler

The final season, one presumes, will return to the flash-forward future seen at the beginning of this season's first episode – in which an exiled Walt returns to Albuquerque, heavily armed. Filming that scene was perhaps the only time Cranston asked for information that wasn't in the script. "I asked Vince several specific questions. I said, 'Am I alone?' And he goes, 'Yeah.' I said, 'Why am I coming back to Albuquerque?' He said, 'You're coming back because you need to protect someone.' And I went, 'OK. Is the cancer back?' He didn't quite answer that. He said, 'Possibly.'"

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/chemical-brothers-breaking-bad-stars-bryan-cranston-and-aaron-paul-20120830#ixzz25NwzpyKj

Wormius
09-03-2012, 12:47 AM
Unless he can pass it off as Gretchen gave it to him? I know her name is Schwartz now but I don't know her maiden name.

I couldn't find her maiden last name, but would be lucky for Walt if it started with a "B", the inscription would make perfect sense for either Gale or Gretchen, but its probably true anyway that even if it was the case, Walt will be in Hanks radar regardless.

Edit: Duh, nevermind, it's in Gales' handwriting. So I guess Gretchen wouldn't work.

nik-
09-03-2012, 12:47 AM
interesting quote relating to the final season in a rolling stone interview with Cranston and Paul

putting in spoiler

The final season, one presumes, will return to the flash-forward future seen at the beginning of this season's first episode – in which an exiled Walt returns to Albuquerque, heavily armed. Filming that scene was perhaps the only time Cranston asked for information that wasn't in the script. "I asked Vince several specific questions. I said, 'Am I alone?' And he goes, 'Yeah.' I said, 'Why am I coming back to Albuquerque?' He said, 'You're coming back because you need to protect someone.' And I went, 'OK. Is the cancer back?' He didn't quite answer that. He said, 'Possibly.'"

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/chemical-brothers-breaking-bad-stars-bryan-cranston-and-aaron-paul-20120830#ixzz25NwzpyKj

now you put it in spoiler :whaa:

Wormius
09-03-2012, 12:51 AM

putting in spoiler

Interesting. Yeah, protect who. Jesse from Hank, or possibly redeem himself by protecting Hank against some threat.

Daradon
09-03-2012, 04:48 AM
Well, called it that Hank would figure out Walt and then have to decide what to do about him. And I guess we'll see in the next episode if he's going to have any reservations about arresting him or not. If he continues to play the stalwart cop of if his morals get swayed a little. I would bet on the former, but you never know. He may feel real bad for the kids, especially after spending so much time with them.

It looked like they had way more money than I would have guessed. I guess he was getting Jesse's share for the last 3 months after he left though. Still, I want to do the math on that one, it looked like a pile that was far too big. (Not suggesting anything plot wise, just upset with a possible lack of continuity)

Oh and it's definitely a slam dunk. Besides the whole conversation of that previous season 3 episode and what Hank knows about Gail, it would explain all the weirdness in Walt and Skyler's relationship, why they had the kids, even why Skyler would say that her and Walt were a danger to the kids. (I know she just told Marie that, but you gotta assume they shared that information. They shared everything about what they should do in the situation with the kids as any normal family would if they were concerned.) And most importantly, where all their money came from. It got explained away by the gambling, but the cars, the watch, etc. were all noticed by Hank after that.

Not to mention Hank still thought the cook might be out there. He didn't have a cook in lockup or a body bag. He mentioned that just before he got promoted I think.

Daradon
09-03-2012, 04:52 AM
Regarding Jesse: I have no doubt he will return in a big way. And who knows, maybe he did get more than the 5 million. I'm not sure it's super important. 5 mill is going to be more than enough to advance any plot lines.

Regarding Lydia: She DID look might fine today. Never thought of her like that before as she was always a bit spazzed out and goofy to be hot, but she certainly had it going on this episode.

Regarding Mike: Sucky way to die, though I knew it was coming soon. What I'm wondering about is did his (will his I guess) granddaughter still get her money? They obviously got the money from the guys, as he had to fill the boxes. But he had no reason to go in her box anymore. I guess it could be written either way, and it may not even matter.

Daradon
09-03-2012, 05:01 AM
No. They said they got it. Something alone the lines of, "twice now, he's lost all his savings."

Yeah I heard that too, was trying to remember if it was twice before that or something though. Guess not, you are right.

gargamel
09-03-2012, 07:07 AM
Yeah I heard that too, was trying to remember if it was twice before that or something though. Guess not, you are right.

Actually it was Saul who said "this is the second time the DEA has confiscated his bankroll," but he didn't have any way of knowing exactly what the DEA got. I don't think it's really relevant to the plot going forward, but hopefully Walt at least gave the money in Mike's go-bag to the granddaughter. I think that he would now that he's Walt again, based on last night's episode. Heisenberg wouldn't have given Jessie that cash, so I really believe that he thinks he's out for good now.

corporatejay
09-03-2012, 07:29 AM
"WW is actually my brother-in-law"

http://bit.ly/TQNayg

MrMastodonFarm
09-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Actually it was Saul who said "this is the second time the DEA has confiscated his bankroll," but he didn't have any way of knowing exactly what the DEA got. I don't think it's really relevant to the plot going forward, but hopefully Walt at least gave the money in Mike's go-bag to the granddaughter. I think that he would now that he's Walt again, based on last night's episode. Heisenberg wouldn't have given Jessie that cash, so I really believe that he thinks he's out for good now.

Oh, you still think their is redemption to be had.

BlackRedGold25
09-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Fantastic episode. So much awesome stuff loaded into one episode.

The fly.
The ricin under the hat.
Mike's 9 getting taken out.
Hank posing for the pic and then getting the news.
Crystal Blue Persuasion.
The purple rug.
Skyler's mood change when Marie brings up the kids going home.
Jesse throwing the gun across the floor.
The build in the final scene when you know something is going to happen to ruin the seemingly happy end.

gargamel
09-03-2012, 07:57 AM
Oh, you still think their is redemption to be had.

I think it's possible that killing those 9 guys was as bad as he was going to break, and that he really is ok with going out on top, on his own terms, now that he's proven to everyone (especially himself) that he could do it. Hank finding the book shows that Walt was in too deep to ever go back to his old life, but I really do think that Walt was back to being a good guy for the second half of that episode.

Caged Great
09-03-2012, 08:09 AM
What I hate about this episode is that it'll take a year to see the next one.

megatron
09-03-2012, 08:16 AM
I completely missed that the book Hank was reading was from Gale. I just thought he put together the W.W. initials in the book with the flashback of the evidence with the other W.W. initials, but the handwriting matched and he knew a lot about Gale.

I think Hank definitely knows that Heisenberg is Walt now. Does he bide his time to take him down (with more evidence) or confront him immediately? Also, there's no way Walt is out -- I don't think is ego will let him out, even though that last scene showed his life almost back to "normal". Lastly, I hope Jessie is back in a big way for the last 8 episodes. It seemed like he was shuffled off to the side in the last couple here. I can't wait for next year.

Best. Show. Ever.

Flash Walken
09-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Oh Lydia...
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9ritpZNz71qg0apx.jpg
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9rity2vbM1qg0apx.jpg

gargamel
09-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Oh Lydia...
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9ritpZNz71qg0apx.jpg
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9rity2vbM1qg0apx.jpg

Maybe you're joking, but she actually said "not if you're Madrigal." I thought she said magical at first too though.

BlackEleven
09-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Even before this season started, I posted that I thought the season would progress with Walt on a downward spiral into a complete transformation into Heisenberg. And it certainly seemed to be heading that way based on the previous seven episodes. This episode threw a bit of a loop into that though.

I thought the writers were trying to convey a message about how power and ego will corrupt a man and that's why the show would take that arc, but now I'm less sure. Perhaps Walt genuinely has realized the error of his ways and wants to get out, but he'll find he's made too many bad decisions in the past and burned too many bridges so that no matter how hard he tries, he won't be able to find redemption. As a viewer, I'd still be satisfied with this as it shows still conveys the original message but reinforces it with the fact that once you step over the ledge there's no going back. That moment where Walt stepped over the edge, for me, was where Walt wouldn't take the $5M to get out. That's the point where it was absolutely clear that all his original justifications went out the window and he was now only motivated be ego and greed.

If he truly has had an epiphany and reformed, the cancer must be back. That's the only thing I could think of that would make him snap back into reality by remembering how and why he got into the meth business in the first place and how far he'd strayed from those reasons. I think that was also reinforced by his conversation with Jesse when he brought up the old RV and was reminiscing about how things used to be.

Anyway, if I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong about this show. The writers do a good job of holding their cards close to their chest yet letting the show and the characters evolve in believable ways (given the context, of course).