Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2022, 07:59 AM   #6881
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I don't think Lanny has ever been in a real life negotiation based on their post on BT. Its very odd, like they don't realize its a two party deal, and the players have their own leverage and wants that BT must acknowledge.

Reading through their posts about how we got here, how the deals were structured, they don't seem to think or mention tradeoffs to lets say have Johnny expire next year, or the other criticisms they mention in previous posts.
As Lanny and CaliPanthersFan told us last week they've both made their **** off money from being amazing at their jobs, if there was ever a concern on credentials pertaining to discussing hockey on a message board.

Minus the redemption part, I do think Lanny nailed what Brad should be looking to accomplish to round out the summer perfectly.

- Get Weegar signed
- Trade Lucic (shouldn't be too difficult considering the final year being under $1mil actual dollars)
- Trade a defensemen for a top 6 forward
- Or alternatively sign a top 6 forward
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2022, 08:08 AM   #6882
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
As Lanny and CaliPanthersFan told us last week they've both made their **** off money from being amazing at their jobs, if there was ever a concern on credentials pertaining to discussing hockey on a message board.

Minus the redemption part, I do think Lanny nailed what Brad should be looking to accomplish to round out the summer perfectly.

- Get Weegar signed
- Trade Lucic (shouldn't be too difficult considering the final year being under $1mil actual dollars)
Feel free to stop this sort of crap at any point. It's pretty childish and irrelevant to the current discussion.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2022, 08:08 AM   #6883
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Brad Treliving needs to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

- Get Weegar signed

I still think this forum over simplifies the trading of Lucic from two perspectives :

1. The ability to trade him. I know I will take heat from this but I don’t know - I see it tine and time again. Fan bases with rosy glasses think their cap anchor contact (no matter the actual payment remaining) has way more value to other teams

2. His desire to leave.

But ya if we can swap him out for a new top 6 forward all for it- unsure how you swap out him for a better value player though given you don’t have excess cap space. I just don’t get that part.

Trade him to a team willing to take on his cap hit for low actual cost for a low pick and then trade high picks for a player better valued? I guess this is where our D come in but unless your trading our top 2 I don’t think your getting your top 6 forward- or no?

No team is going to swap him out for a better valued player and contract without large compensation

Last edited by Mull; 08-06-2022 at 08:17 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:13 AM   #6884
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
I think he’s on his last legs now. It was honestly a long time coming. I think Brad is a high quality professional and he has done great things for the franchise. But he’s definitely made crucial mistakes that ended up hurting the team in the long run
I’m am happy to admit that I was wrong. Oh so wrong. I’m glad Brad is the GM of our franchise
Old 08-06-2022, 08:17 AM   #6885
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Feel free to stop this sort of crap at any point. It's pretty childish and irrelevant to the current discussion.
Jayswin is a professor.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2022, 11:33 AM   #6886
SOMBRI2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Brad Treliving needs to go teach society how to build EQ. He will make a better world.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
SOMBRI2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SOMBRI2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2022, 01:23 PM   #6887
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

BT is such a great ambassador for the city. Seems he took it a bit personally when people were crapping all over the city after the other 2 stars departed and wasn't happy with what people were saying. Then he comes out with one of the biggest trades in decades, completely re-invigorates the fanbase and suddenly puts the Flames back on the map.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2022, 01:33 PM   #6888
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Brad Treliving needs to go?

No, extension now!
Post of the year

I’m embarrassed at where my username is in this poll; Treliving is cementing himself as the 2nd best GM of this team with this off-season which is crazy considering how it started. The man hit a grand slam trade on a full count with two out in the 9th inning down 5-2; he literally solidified a 3 to 5 year window to contend for this team and I’m still dumbfounded how he did considering the position he was in. We should be so lucky we didn’t have someone else at the helm here, Treliving seems to have built a solid reputation amongst the other GMs of the league and is clearly respected amongst that hierarchy of the league; he performed a master class of GMing this off-season and I still don’t think he’s done. Bring on Oct 13th already lol!
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2022, 01:33 PM   #6889
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is why I want him gone.

It’s not that he’s a bad person or a mean man. It’s not that he hasn’t made some good or bad trades. It’s that this team has struggled to even get into the second round. It’s time we build a better team.

Sometimes you just need a fresh set of eyes or ideas that might move the team forward. He’s been saying since 2018 that changes are coming. But now instead of trading players, he’s lost players and it made the entire city of Calgary look like a joke.
PuckSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:47 PM   #6890
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSlap View Post

It’s not that he’s a bad person or a mean man. It’s not that he hasn’t made some good or bad trades. It’s that this team has struggled to even get into the second round. It’s time we build a better team.

Sometimes you just need a fresh set of eyes or ideas that might move the team forward. He’s been saying since 2018 that changes are coming. But now instead of trading players, he’s lost players and it made the entire city of Calgary look like a joke.
That’s fine, but your logic is flawed in regards to evaluating his performance. For starters BT wasn’t hired until after we missed inn2014, so that’s not him.

Less than half the teams in the NHL make the playoffs each year. But we’ll round up to say average is 50%. The Flames have made the playoffs 5/8 seasons under BT. So he’s at 62%, that’s better than average.

Only 25% of teams win a round each year. Meaning a team should win a 1st round 1 in every 4 years. BT has done exactly that. So not under performing.

Averages suggest you should make the conference finals 1 in 8 years. We have failed to do that, so fair ball.

But the above IMO doesn’t account for the fact BT didn’t inherit an average NHL team. He came on board to IMO one of the worst rosters in the NHL, and he’s got a small market Canadian club. IMO your stats actually point to above average performance.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:28 PM   #6891
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Shhhhh. Don't let outcomes determine whether someone should keep their job. There are much better measures, like whether a guy wins a trade here or there. Ignore the state of the team and the organization as a whole (don't look at the prospect poll for example). Tre is killing it and deserves an extension. Count the number of playoff round wins to figure that out. You can't win a cup if you can't win multiple playoff rounds in a single year. I know, bad measure. Give the guy and extension.

Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2022, 02:31 PM   #6892
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Shhhhh. Don't let outcomes determine whether someone should keep their job. There are much better measures, like whether a guy wins a trade here or there. Ignore the state of the team and the organization as a whole (don't look at the prospect poll for example). Tre is killing it and deserves an extension. Count the number of playoff round wins to figure that out. You can't win a cup if you can't win multiple playoff rounds in a single year. I know, bad measure. Give the guy and extension.

You cheeky bastard.

I love it.
Old 08-06-2022, 02:32 PM   #6893
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I think you need to gain some perspective here.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:35 PM   #6894
Caboose
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post

I was going to argue because I disagree with you and I genuinely think Treliving is doing a good job, but then I remembered that I don't make very much money and you make lots and lots of money, so it's likely that I'm a broke, poor fool with rocks in my head and you are always correct!

If you'll excuse me, I'll be eating Kraft Dinner and watching sports news through someone else's window and hoping they leave the closed captioning on.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:47 PM   #6895
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As a the co owner of a small business, I guarantee you that if we had hired a manager that couldn’t improve the business or increase productivity, we wouldn’t keep them around.

In the hockey world, losing games, players and a fanbase, is the same as losing money.

The flames just lost their top two players. They lost to the competition (oilers) and this already small market, is about to get smaller.

The flames aren’t any better than they were in 2018, they are arguably worse (on paper).

Those are all signs of a poorly run business.

Right now, the flames; in this poor economy, just sank into the red.

But bRad tReLiViNg signed a top 6 player.

Ya, after we lost two of them.

1 step forward and two steps back.

But we won the division!!

Ya, cool story. Then what did they do?
Old 08-06-2022, 02:48 PM   #6896
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

No losing games is not the same as losing money in a business.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2022, 02:51 PM   #6897
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
No losing games is not the same as losing money in a business.

It is in a small market.

Maybe not Toronto or Montreal. They will continue to show up no matter the outcome. To a certain degree.

If the flames continue to, the fans will stop showing up to games and stop buying merchandise.

That’s money.

Also, Johnny and Tkachuk sold allot of merch.

That’s gonna be a big loss for this franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2022, 02:54 PM   #6898
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is in a small market.

Maybe not Toronto or Montreal. They will continue to show up no matter the outcome. To a certain degree.

If the flames continue to, the fans will stop showing up to games and stop buying merchandise.

That’s money.

Also, Johnny and Tkachuk sold allot of merch.

That’s gonna be a big loss for this franchise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well now you are making a different argument that things Bt has done will cost the team financially. That remains to be seem
Thats different from your original point either way
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:54 PM   #6899
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I want the people in here who still want Brad gone to explain what Brad could’ve done to make both Johnny and Matthew want to re-sign
Old 08-06-2022, 02:59 PM   #6900
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
I want the people in here who still want Brad gone to explain what Brad could’ve done to make both Johnny and Matthew want to re-sign
He was supposed to trade them both for magic beans a year ago, forgo the 111-point season, tear down to the studs, and start a complete rebuild based on a fool's hope of landing Bedard. Because that's the only way of winning a championship, and it doesn't lose you any money or fans to suck for half a decade.

This, apparently, is known as Asset Management. It is the only way to run a sports franchise, but you and I and Brad Treliving are too dumb to understand it.