Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2020, 01:13 PM   #1641
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
No discernible story. Nothing tied together.
It's the story of a fading B star and his friend set against the backdrop of the death of an era of innocence.

edit: I do put the disclaimer that I'm not a huge Tarantino fan. He has some really good movies, a lot of meh ones as well. I don't think I'm biased when it comes to him.

Last edited by nik-; 03-28-2020 at 01:20 PM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:29 PM   #1642
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
It's the story of a fading B star and his friend set against the backdrop of the death of an era of innocence.

edit: I do put the disclaimer that I'm not a huge Tarantino fan. He has some really good movies, a lot of meh ones as well. I don't think I'm biased when it comes to him.
Essentially you just follow the two of them around and then the ultraviolent final scene happens. The tense scenes lead nowhere, the funny parts are self-contained, and there is absolutely zero narrative build-up or progression. Like I say, just a glimpse into an alternative 1969 Hollywood, which to me doesn't carry a 161 minute film.

In terms of traditional beginning-middle-end storytelling, it is all middle.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #1643
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Essentially you just follow the two of them around and then the ultraviolent final scene happens. The tense scenes lead nowhere, the funny parts are self-contained, and there is absolutely zero narrative build-up or progression. Like I say, just a glimpse into an alternative 1969 Hollywood, which to me doesn't carry a 161 minute film.

In terms of traditional beginning-middle-end storytelling, it is all middle.
The hyperbolic comedic release of tension is the point though.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 01:50 PM   #1644
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Put me down as a huge fan of Once Upon a Time... I adored every single frame of that movie on first viewing, went out and bought the bluray, and have now watched it 2 more times since. Easily one of my top 3 favorite Tarantino flicks.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 01:58 PM   #1645
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The hyperbolic comedic release of tension is the point though.
That was mentioned before when I complained about the movie at its release. If so, that contributes to my opinion that it was a poor film as there was no need to release any significant tension as none had been built until the beginning of that final scene. Everything before was so disconnected and compartmentalized that I felt it had no weight. The scene was so independent from the rest of the film that it didn't fit.

I wasn't a big fan of the ultraviolent endings of Inglourious Basterds or Django Unchained either, but they at least served the story in the ways you mentioned. A cohesiveness that was lacking in Once Upon a Time.

Look, I'm glad people enjoyed it. I'm a Tarantino fan, so any success he receives I hope encourages him to make more art. However, I firmly place this as the worst of his films and haven't recommended it to anyone I know.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #1646
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is it that Ive never heard of the movie ‘Freaks’ before??? Do yourself a favor and watch it on Netflix. Incredible.

And as in my case, I think the less you know the better.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 05:14 PM   #1647
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyfire89 View Post
Watched Dark Waters. Great movie about how disgusting the American capitalist system is. The people that control the world’s largest and most profitable companies don’t care about you or me, they only care about more profits.

Rob Bilot is a goddamn hero who should be revered and held up as an example of the best that human beings can offer to the world with regards to caring about your fellow humans and condemning the ‘big business’ model of profits above anything else and the individual idea that if I’m getting mine, #### everyone else.

Watch this movie.
Quoted to bump, very powerful film. Far better than anything I've seen in the past year and yes, Rob Bilot is a damn hero.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #1648
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
How is it that Ive never heard of the movie ‘Freaks’ before??? Do yourself a favor and watch it on Netflix. Incredible.

are you talking the 1932 Freaks? Great yet disturbing movie.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:07 PM   #1649
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
are you talking the 1932 Freaks? Great yet disturbing movie.
Nah, 2018 with Emile Hirsch and Bruce Dern. Filmed in Vancouver.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #1650
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post

I watched it the other day after someone mentioned it in this thread.

Pretty neat overall.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #1651
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I was really on board not to like this film and I really did like it.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:56 PM   #1652
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Finally finished Once..., the ending was classic Tarantino and obviously the best part, but the movie could have been edited down to under 2 hours without losing anything. I was on my phone for most of it and I didn't miss anything important. I really appreciate it on a technical level, the recreation of Hollywood in 1969 was spot on, but storywise it was threadbare
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #1653
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Likely not the first to mention this but Prime Video has the documentary called "Apollo 11" right now which is incredible, you absolutely have to watch this.

The image quality is astounding as it was scanned using some specialized equipment built specifically for this film in order to produce IMAX quality film. There is no narrator or cuts to interviews, they sometimes have a news anchor from archival footage describing the scene at take off, the moon landing and then the return to Earth but mostly it's just the conversations happening between the mission control teams and Neil, Buzz and Michael. It all just illustrates what a monumental achievement this was.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 01:22 AM   #1654
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Needed a good laugh so I watched Waking Ned Devine.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:03 AM   #1655
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Once Upon a Time last night, I thought it was great. I don't know if I get the complaints that it didn't really have a story, I thought it did. It was beautifully filmed, and I enjoyed the dialog.

Hemi-Cuda, I imagine if you told Tarantino that you'd been on your phone, and didn't miss anything he'd give you a big smack upside the head. You miss out on the immersion. It really felt like 1969.

Often long movies like that have my wife asking to watch them over 2 nights, but when I paused it 2 hours in we were surprised we had gone that far, and finished it. So it didn't feel like a drag to us.

I will say DiCaprio's part was the least interesting in the movie though, and could have used less of it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:51 AM   #1656
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Watched Once Upon a Time last night, I thought it was great. I don't know if I get the complaints that it didn't really have a story, I thought it did. It was beautifully filmed, and I enjoyed the dialog.

Hemi-Cuda, I imagine if you told Tarantino that you'd been on your phone, and didn't miss anything he'd give you a big smack upside the head. You miss out on the immersion. It really felt like 1969.

Often long movies like that have my wife asking to watch them over 2 nights, but when I paused it 2 hours in we were surprised we had gone that far, and finished it. So it didn't feel like a drag to us.

I will say DiCaprio's part was the least interesting in the movie though, and could have used less of it.
The wife and I watched it last night, and we really liked it as well.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #1657
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Watched The Gentleman and thought it was very entertaining.
I had the same reaction. Definitely not overtaking Snatch or Lock Stock, but it was worth a watch for sure. I think it's probably the third movie if you were doing a Guy Ritchie marathon. But I didn't think it quite had the same soul as those two movies. Felt somehow too polished. Hugh Grant stole the thing though, really fun performance to watch.
Quote:
Yup.

I watched OUATIH as well recently, and enjoyed it. It wasn't my favourite movie of the year or anything, but it was still an excellent way to spend an evening. I am, at this point in my movie-watching existence, really into the creation of an atmosphere more than anything else, and that movie created a mood and a sensation better than probably anything he's done since Reservoir Dogs.

It was, however, quite an un-Tarantino movie, other than the sort of "fantasy" element that has crept into his style particularly since Kill Bill. And it's ludicrous to suggest that it's comparable to Pulp Fiction.

I think if you were young in the late 60's or early 70's, you probably would have watched the whole thing with a massive smile on your face throughout.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:39 AM   #1658
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember prior to watching it that everything indicated I was going to hate OUATIH.

And we all know that Tarantino has a solid reputation of being hit or miss...looking at you Jackie Brown!

But I loved it. I thought that film was fantastic, in a lot of ways it reminded me of a lighter 'No Country for Old Men' and that movie wasnt everyone's cup of tea either.

I thought Tarantino knocked it out of the park with this one.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:11 AM   #1659
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Jennifer's Body on Netflix. Surprisingly good, would recommend!

Obviously not high art, but quite consistently entertaining and somewhat messed up in the best way. Easy to see why it's found a second life after originally completely bombing at the theaters.

Would probably go down well for female horror fans, as the story revolves around a BFF relationship between two girls.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 11:40 AM   #1660
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

IMO it's a special movie that will stand up in time for its depiction of the late 60's. I think any non-action movie that pushes 3 hours isn't going to be for everyone but for the entire movie I felt transported back in time so not a single minute of the runtime was lost on me.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: