PDA

View Full Version : CP Television Show Draft! - EVERYONE'S AK'D!! PICK NOW!! TO REACH 20

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Dion
11-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Great picks guys!

Coach
11-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Is there an up to date draft board?

Displaced Flames fan
11-15-2008, 04:35 PM
With our 5th round pick, Vic Mackey and the Strike Team are proud to select, The Twilight Zone which we will place in the pre-80's category for now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052520/

http://images.tvrage.net/shows/7/6258.jpg

I used to stay up late to watch reruns (obviously) of this great show as a kid. It never failed to deliver creepiness or wonder. I have yet to see every episode, but hope to accomplish that one day.

Created by Rod Serling, the show ran for 5 season between 1959 and 1964. Serling wrote 148 episodes, the bulk of the series Dude. 156 episodes in all, the cast list includes Jack Klugman, Burgess Meredith, William Shatner, Lee Marvin and Martin Landau who all appeared in multiple episodes.

Serling's series was largely a television version of classic radio shows like The Weird Circle and X Minus One and was a first for television in its focus. The success of The Twilight Zone spawned a movie and two TV revival series, comic book, magazine and I'm sure a metal lunchbox. It also must have had influence on the creation of series such as The Outer Limits and The X Files.

Highly recommend it to anyone who has never seen any episodes. Great stuff!

NzlG28B-R8Y

getbak
11-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Ok we'll keep comedy-sitcom and comedy-open.
Chuck is in the open category.

We'll see what other ones pop up
Will sitcoms be allowed in open (I vote "yes")?

Otherwise, we need a definition of what is and what isn't a sitcom. If a show like Arrested Development isn't considered a sitcom, I'm going to have to reconsider my choices for that category because a lot of shows I would have considered will be ineligible.

Interesting pick with Larry Sanders in talk show. Although most of the show was scripted and fictional, I believe the interview segments were relatively legitimate (or as legit as anything you'd normally see on any late night show).

Dion
11-15-2008, 05:46 PM
With our 5th round pick, Vic Mackey and the Strike Team are proud to select, The Twilight Zone which we will place in the pre-80's category for now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052520/

http://images.tvrage.net/shows/7/6258.jpg

I used to stay up late to watch reruns (obviously) of this great show as a kid. It never failed to deliver creepiness or wonder. I have yet to see every episode, but hope to accomplish that one day.

Created by Rod Serling, the show ran for 5 season between 1959 and 1964. Serling wrote 148 episodes, the bulk of the series Dude. 156 episodes in all, the cast list includes Jack Klugman, Burgess Meredith, William Shatner, Lee Marvin and Martin Landau who all appeared in multiple episodes.

Serling's series was largely a television version of classic radio shows like The Weird Circle and X Minus One and was a first for television in its focus. The success of The Twilight Zone spawned a movie and two TV revival series, comic book, magazine and I'm sure a metal lunchbox. It also must have had influence on the creation of series such as The Outer Limits and The X Files.

Highly recommend it to anyone who has never seen any episodes. Great stuff!

NzlG28B-R8Y
:chair::bang::boom: Damn you DFF!!!! :whaa:

I watch the re runs whenever they come on. Greatist sci fi show ever made!

Dion
11-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Will sitcoms be allowed in open (I vote "yes")?

Otherwise, we need a definition of what is and what isn't a sitcom. If a show like Arrested Development isn't considered a sitcom, I'm going to have to reconsider my choices for that category because a lot of shows I would have considered will be ineligible.

I'd like to see a definition also.

GirlySports
11-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Hmmm...

Someone suggested it earlier.
How about a sitcom has a laugh-track? (or live audience)

Ro
11-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Do we absolutely need a definition?

Is objecting to an overly questionable pick placement an option? IE/ if enough people complain, you gotta change the category?

Eastern Girl
11-15-2008, 06:09 PM
If people are annoyed by my putting AD in the open category, I will switch it to sitcom. It just didn't seem to fit in that category to me, is all. If it's gonna cause this much discussion...

GirlySports
11-15-2008, 06:18 PM

Is objecting to an overly questionable pick placement an option? IE/ if enough people complain, you gotta change the category?

That's how it's always been. We pick according to the categories and then people may raise a stink about it. Then I just make a decision. And sometimes change the rules slightly.. Like making 'Barely Legal" not so barely legal :)

Jagger
11-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Interesting pick with Larry Sanders in talk show. Although most of the show was scripted and fictional, I believe the interview segments were relatively legitimate (or as legit as anything you'd normally see on any late night show).

My initial thought when seeing the talk show category was Larry Sanders. Then after checking on imdb was delighted to see it listed as a comedy AND talk show. After that my choice as No.1 talk show was made!

JerzeeGirl
11-15-2008, 07:09 PM
If people are annoyed by my putting AD in the open category, I will switch it to sitcom. It just didn't seem to fit in that category to me, is all. If it's gonna cause this much discussion...

I thought it was my fault (for choosing "Chuck") that there was a ruckus....no stealng my ruckus! ;)

getbak
11-15-2008, 07:45 PM

To me, the easiest way to avoid arguments is to have a set definition. Otherwise, every person has their own interpretations of what does and doesn't qualify.

Is Corner Gas a sitcom? Is Trailer Park Boys? Some would say yes to both, some would say no to both, and some would say yes to CG and no to TPB (I doubt anyone would say the opposite).

I think the point was bound to come up at some point, so don't take it as an attack or anything.

I think the problem is that the sitcom genre has changed over the last few years, as shows are starting to get away from the traditional "three cameras and a laugh track" style of production, so people don't know if they're still really sitcoms.

If you look at the Emmy Awards in the year 2000, 4 of the 5 shows nominated for best comedy were traditional sitcoms. For the last 3 years, only one of the nominated shows has been a traditional sitcom.

I would prefer the rule to be that Comedy (open) can be any comedy, including sitcoms, but Comedy (sitcom) can only be a sitcom, then the debate over shows like Arrested Development (or any of NBC's current comedies) will be up to the person making the pick.

If we don't want Open to include sitcoms, then we do need a definition of "sitcom". I'm fine with saying that in order to qualify, a sitcom must have these four things:

Half hour long and live action
The cast plays the same recurring characters every episode
Comedic "everyday" situations with a full episode storyline
Live audience and/or laugh track

The last point would mean that Arrested Development, Larry Sanders (live audience was for the show within the show), and Corner Gas, among others, would not qualify, but tv history is full of enough shows that do qualify that it shouldn't be an issue.

Any comedy that doesn't fit those criteria can go into Open, Wildcard, or any other category in which it would fit, except Sitcom.

That's my two cents.

Eastern Girl
11-15-2008, 07:48 PM
I wasn't taking it as an attack, I didn't mean for my post to sound defensive or snotty (the Sens lost again :( so I am not in a great mood). But AD was mentioned as part of the argument so I don't mind moving it if people think that's best. That's all.

Ruckus is all yours JG. Have fun!!

GirlySports
11-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Ok Sitcom must be sitcom
Open can be anything.

Does this help? :)

I don't think this can be resolved any other way.

getbak
11-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Ok Sitcom must be sitcom
Open can be anything.

Does this help? :)
Perfect.

So, that means habernac can move Family Ties back to Open?

Now, that we have that sorted out, and because I like to cause trouble, I have a question about the Miniseries/Movie category...

There have been a number of times in tv history where a miniseries or movie was produced that was so popular, it led to the storyline being continued into a series. Sometimes, this was by design, where the miniseries was produced to stand alone but also serve as a backdoor pilot for the series. Other times, the series came about because of the original's popularity. Of the shows that have been chosen, the new Battlestar Galactica is an example of this scenario.

There have also been instances where after a series is over, a wrap-up movie or miniseries was produced to wrap up or catch up with the characters after the end of the series (I think this is more common in the UK). Of the shows that have been chosen, The Office UK is an example of a series that had a follow up Holiday Special.

Would these miniseries or movies that were produced separately from the rest of the series still be eligible in the miniseries/movie category, or do they fall under the series' umbrella? Conversely, if someone picks the miniseries or movie, does that make the series ineligible for selection.

This also isn't a new phenomenon because I can think of two of the most popular family shows of the 1970s that got their starts as made for tv movies.

Dion
11-15-2008, 10:23 PM

Sorry for asking. And no i wasn't objecting to any pick. :(

GirlySports
11-15-2008, 10:23 PM
Perfect.

So, that means habernac can move Family Ties back to Open?

Now, that we have that sorted out, and because I like to cause trouble, I have a question about the Miniseries/Movie category...

There have been a number of times in tv history where a miniseries or movie was produced that was so popular, it led to the storyline being continued into a series. Sometimes, this was by design, where the miniseries was produced to stand alone but also serve as a backdoor pilot for the series. Other times, the series came about because of the original's popularity. Of the shows that have been chosen, the new Battlestar Galactica is an example of this scenario.

There have also been instances where after a series is over, a wrap-up movie or miniseries was produced to wrap up or catch up with the characters after the end of the series (I think this is more common in the UK). Of the shows that have been chosen, The Office UK is an example of a series that had a follow up Holiday Special.

Would these miniseries or movies that were produced separately from the rest of the series still be eligible in the miniseries/movie category, or do they fall under the series' umbrella? Conversely, if someone picks the miniseries or movie, does that make the series ineligible for selection.

This also isn't a new phenomenon because I can think of two of the most popular family shows of the 1970s that got their starts as made for tv movies.

You're the new troublemaker :)

Yes habernac can move family ties back to open.

Yes the miniseries or movies would be eligible in the minseries/movie category. The series becomes ineligible. I don't like things being picked twice.

Flamesguy_SJ
11-15-2008, 11:08 PM
"This is the story of two sisters: Jessica Tate, and Mary Campbell."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/de/Soap_title_screen.jpg

With our 5th selection in the CP TV Draft, The Channel Surfers choose Soap to fill the Pre-80s category.

From IMDb:
Soap, a parody of soap operas, is a show about two sisters, Jessica Tate and Mary Campbell and their families. The two families have all sorts of problems such as: Sarcastic butlers, a war hero who's still living in 1940's wartime and Mary's 2nd husband who once thought he could make himself invisible and was abducted aliens, just to name a few.

The opening:
4gTAW5SAW3c

Jagger
11-15-2008, 11:23 PM
"This is the story of two sisters: Jessica Tate, and Mary Campbell."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/de/Soap_title_screen.jpg

I used to watch this show religiously when it first aired in the UK. It was fair to say I was addicted to the ridiculous storylines. Burt getting abducted by aliens was simply fantastic!

Very good pick, SJ!

sadora
11-15-2008, 11:58 PM
Team Vandelay Industries is very, VERY happy to select in the Pre-80's category...

ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS

http://i1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/160/514/01/ahp.jpg

Alfred Hitchcock Presents was a mystery and suspense anthology hosted by the master of supsense Alfred Hitchcock. Each 30 minute episode included opening and closing vingettes featuring Hitchcock who would often explain some aspect of the day's show and would often offer subtle (or not so subtle) jabs at the shows sponsors.

09Zsd858KQs

ajRpxpYRNwY

wzfyzT7NNTc&feature=related

Dion
11-16-2008, 01:01 AM
Excellent choice sadora! I ennjoy watching most of his movies.

Displaced Flames fan
11-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Bump

Ro
11-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Love the Alfred Hitchcock Presents pick! Was hoping I could nab it a handful of picks down the roads in that category. Great show, still holds up extremely well today when I catch the odd rerun.

Ro
11-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Sorry for asking. And no i wasn't objecting to any pick. :(

Hey, not at all! Wasn't directed at you, just thinking out loud really. :D

Dion
11-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Hey, not at all! Wasn't directed at you, just thinking out loud really. :D

Fair enough. I just wasn't sure :D

Dion
11-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Bump

liamenator
11-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Proud to select, in the Sitcom category, Larry David's side stitch-inducing slice of "life" HBO series, one of the funniest ever... Curb Your Enthusiasm!

http://editorial.sidereel.com/Images/Posts/curb.jpg

Actually quite surprised this one was still on the board, and very happy to be able to nab it in the 5th round. Absolutely hysterical over the course of its run, and still going strong.

"A little saucy"

KOaagcehMEY

NSFW:
oDYf0RQWcHc

Ro
11-16-2008, 07:46 PM
^^^ Love that show. More than Seinfeld even. Such outstanding writing. And Larry David is so damn good.

Was thinking of taking it earlier, but with the reasonable depth in that category I couldn't do it just yet. Would have loved to have it on my squad though- nice pick!

Coach
11-16-2008, 08:02 PM
Ya i was thinking of Curb your enthusiasm as my pick but went with entourage instead,,,,nice pick

Dion
11-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Another show i haven't seen. Guess i better broaden my viewing horizon :(

Maritime Q-Scout
11-16-2008, 09:22 PM
With our fifth selection in the 2008 Calgary Puck Television Draft, we here at the Patterson Corporation are please to select for our lineup on our new channel MQS-TV, a comedy that showed us that medicine can be funny while believing in the motto “I know, that I’m no superman”. Starting in 2001 and currently in its final season, it was the winner of 3 Emmy’s with 16 nominations, as well as receiving 3 Golden Globe nominations. Staring the talented Zach Braff, charismatic Donald Faison, quirky Neil Flynn, overbearing Ken Jenkins, superb John C. McGinley, lovely Judy Reyes, and the apple of my eye, the girl of my dreams, the love of my life, the incredible :wub: Sarah Chalke :wub:. Filling our Medical* slot, we here at MQS-TV humbly select from the American Broadcasting Company, Scrubs.

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/1967/scrubscastaf0.jpg

L-vXsPDfL-s

Bobblehead
11-16-2008, 10:31 PM
With our fifth selection in the 2008 Calgary Puck Television Draft, we here at the Patterson Corporation are please to select for our lineup on our new channel MQS-TV, a comedy that showed us that medicine can be funny while believing in the motto “I know, that I’m no superman”. Starting in 2001 and currently in its final season, it was the winner of 3 Emmy’s with 16 nominations, as well as receiving 3 Golden Globe nominations. Staring the talented Zach Braff, charismatic Donald Faison, quirky Neil Flynn, overbearing Ken Jenkins, superb John C. McGinley, lovely Judy Reyes, and the apple of my eye, the girl of my dreams, the love of my life, the incredible :wub: Sarah Chalke :wub:. Filling our Medical* slot, we here at MQS-TV humbly select from the American Broadcasting Company, Scrubs.

!@#@$!# !$# !$#@$! you MQS!!!

Back to the drawing board......

Displaced Flames fan
11-16-2008, 10:40 PM
I never could handle Scrubs, except for the Sarah Chalke part.

Flash
11-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Nice pick, MQS! Annoyed with myself that I didn't think to pick it with my medical pick! I haven't watched in in ages, but I used to watch it religiously when it first came out.

MissTeeks
11-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Sorry to be so late, I was recovering from my Stampeder win celebration all day. In the Crime/Law category, Team Legen...wait for it...dary selects Cold Case.

I like this show because I enjoy the flashback scenes, especially all the old music.

IMDB page:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368479/

Flash
11-17-2008, 08:35 AM
Second page bump.

FanIn80
11-17-2008, 09:03 AM
With our next pick, The Upper Trash would like to select in the category of Comedy (Situational)... one of the all-time classics...

TAXI! (US Taxi, not the British "Taxi!")

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f4/Taxi_title_screen.jpg

Characters

The cast of Taxi during the final season of production: (back row, left to right) Danza, Kaufman, Kane; (front) Lloyd, Henner, Hirsch, DeVito

* Alex Rieger (Judd Hirsch) - Alex is the sensible, compassionate core of the show, the one everyone else turns to for advice. At one point, he reveals his frustration with this unwanted burden. He once worked in an office, with a good chance of advancement, but lost his job due to his refusal to follow the company line. He was married to Phyllis Bornstein (Louise Lasser). When his wife divorced him because of his lack of ambition, she sought sole custody of their baby daughter, Cathy; he gave in rather than fight. He is also estranged from his philandering father, Joe (Jack Gilford). Alex is a recovered compulsive gambler, although he relapses in one episode. A pessimist, he has resigned himself to driving a cab for the rest of his life.

* Louie De Palma (Danny DeVito) - The dispatcher for the Sunshine Cab Company. He not only has no morals to speak of, he positively revels in his misdeeds. Nothing is beneath him, from taking advantage of a drunken friend of his sometime-girlfriend Zena Sherman (played by real-life wife Rhea Perlman) to gambling with a young boy to stealing from the company. He lives with his mother (DeVito's real mother, Julia, in two episodes). Under the amoral exterior beats a heart of pure lead. That said, he has (on very rare occasions) helped his workers, as in the episode in which an arrogant hairstylist (played by Ted Danson) gives Elaine a garish makeover just before a very important event and further humiliates her by stating he "didn't know how to do taxi drivers." It is Louie who bolsters her confidence to confront him. TV Guide ranked De Palma first on its list of the 50 greatest TV characters of all time.[2]

* Elaine O'Connor Nardo (Marilu Henner) - Elaine is a divorced mother of two struggling to cope, while trying to realize her ambitions in the field of fine art. The object of lust of Louie, she is attracted to characters played by actors ranging from Tom Selleck to Wallace Shawn.

* Tony Banta (Tony Danza) - The sweet-natured, if somewhat dimwitted boxer has little success in the sport. In fact, Louie makes a lot of money betting against him. Finally, the boxing commission takes away his license because he has been knocked out one too many times. Danza actually was a professional boxer.

* Bobby Wheeler (Jeff Conaway) (1978-1982) - Bobby is a shallow, conceited actor whose pretensions are Louie's favorite target. Success eludes Bobby. Once, he is signed up by a famous manager, but it turns out she does not want to represent him; she only wants him as a lover. Another time, he is cast in a pilot for a soap opera called Boise. The show goes into production, but his part is recast. Conaway left the show after Season 3, but continued to make guest appearances in Season 4 before being written out altogether.

* Reverend Jim Ignatowski (Christopher Lloyd) (1979-1983) - A burned-out relic of the '60s, Jim lives in a world of his own. He was once a hard-working, serious student at Harvard University, with an extremely wealthy father (Victor Buono), but one bite of a drug-laden brownie was enough to get him hooked and send him into a downward spiral. (His last name was originally Caldwell; he changed it to Ignatowski, thinking that the backward pronunciation of that name was "Star Child.") The cabbies help him pass a written exam to become one of them, in a particularly memorable episode (see Quotes section below). He occasionally exhibits unexpected talents, such as the ability to play the piano masterfully. TV Guide placed Ignatowski 32nd on its list of the 50 greatest TV characters of all time.

* Latka Gravas (Andy Kaufman) - Latka is an immigrant from a very strange land, often speaking in his invented foreign tongue ("ibi da", "nik nik"). He works as a mechanic, fixing the taxis. Latka was an adaptation of the "Foreign Man" character Kaufman originated in his stand-up comedy act. He eventually grew tired of the gag, so the writers gave Latka multiple personality disorder, allowing Kaufman to play other characters, the most frequent one being a repellent, smooth-talking lounge-lizard persona calling itself Vic Ferrari. In one episode however, he becomes Alex, with profound insights into "his" life. Just when he is about to reveal to the real Alex the perfect solution for all his problems, he reverts back to Latka.

* Simka Dahblitz-Gravas (Carol Kane) (1980-1983) - She is from the same country as Latka. They belong to different ethnic groups which traditionally detest each other, but they fall in love and eventually get married. She is much more assertive than her husband, often standing up to Louie for him.

* John Burns (Randall Carver) (1978-1979) - The naive young man works as a cabbie to pay for college. According to Carver, "...the characters of John Burns and Tony Banta were too similar...Some of the lines were almost interchangeable..."[3], so he was dropped after the first season without explanation.

* Jeff Bennett (J. Alan Thomas) - Sunshine Cab's assistant dispatcher, he shares the "cage" with Louie but rarely speaks or interacts with the other characters. One exception is the Season 5 episode "Crime and Punishment", wherein Louie turns Jeff in for stealing car parts from the company and selling them on the black market (a crime which Louie himself committed).

Awards and Nominations

Taxi is one of television's most lauded shows. During its run, the sitcom was nominated for 31 Emmy Awards and won 18, including three for Outstanding Comedy Series. It was also nominated for 25 Golden Globes, with four wins (three for Best TV Series - Musical/Comedy). In 1979, it received the Humanitas Prize in the 30 minute category. It was also ranked 48th in TV Guide's 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time.

Awards

Emmy Awards:

* Comedy Series (1979-1981)
* Lead Actor in a Comedy Series - Judd Hirsch (1981, 1983)
* Guest Actress in a Comedy Series - Ruth Gordon (1979)
* Lead Actress in a Comedy Series - Carol Kane (1982)
* Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series - Carol Kane (1983)
* Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series - Danny DeVito (1981)
* Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series - Christopher Lloyd (1982, 1983)
* Directing in a Comedy Series - James Burrows (1980, 1981)
* Writing in a Comedy Series - Michael Leeson (1981)
* Writing in a Comedy Series - Ken Estin (1982)
* Film Editing for a Series - M. Pam Blumenthal (1979-81), Jack Michon (1981)

Golden Globe Awards:

* Best Television Series-Comedy (1979-1981), tied in 1980 with Alice
* Best TV Supporting Actor - Danny DeVito (1980), tied with Vic Tayback in Alice

Nominations

Emmy Awards:

* Comedy Series (1982, 1983)
* Lead Actor in a Comedy Series - Judd Hirsch (1979, 1980, 1982)
* Lead Actress in a Comedy Series - Eileen Brennan (1981)
* Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series - Danny DeVito (1979, 1982, 1983)
* Directing in a Comedy Series - James Burrows (1982)
* Writing in a Comedy Series - Michael Leeson (1979)
* Writing in a Comedy Series - Glen Charles and Les Charles (1980, 1981)
* Writing in a Comedy Series - David Lloyd (1981)
* Writing in a Comedy Series - Barry Kemp and Holly Holmberg Brooks (1982)
* Writing in a Comedy Series - Ken Estin (1983)

Golden Globe Awards:

* Television Series-Comedy (1982-1984)
* Actor in a TV Series-Comedy - Judd Hirsch (1979-1983)
* TV Supporting Actress - Marilu Henner (1979-1983)
* TV Supporting Actress - Carol Kane (1983)
* TV Supporting Actor - Tony Danza (1980)
* TV Supporting Actor - Danny DeVito (1979, 1981, 1982)
* TV Supporting Actor - Jeff Conaway (1979, 1980)
* TV Supporting Actor - Andy Kaufman (1979, 1981)

Kzhwx8aOO0A

tAU6HYpvzUU

pvn-tBeLpCk

8VY9HSjFdh0

FanIn80
11-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Whoops. I forgot to mention that I'll be moving Sports Night to the Comedy (Open) category (since it really wasn't a sitcom anyway).

Dion
11-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Andy Kaufman was great in Taxi :D

habernac
11-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Best part of Taxi: Christopher Lloyd as Jim Ignatowski
Worst: It gave us Tony "I'm too dumb to have a character name different from my own" Danza

Displaced Flames fan
11-17-2008, 01:04 PM
As a 12 year old, I was pretty enamored with Marilu Henner.

Great show.

habernac
11-17-2008, 01:05 PM
As a 12 year old, I was pretty enamored with Marilu Henner.

Great show.

as a 38 year old, I still am.

FanIn80
11-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Haha yeah. She was something, for sure. :D

Edit: Still is!

http://www-tc.pbs.org/wgbh/ballroomchallenge/images/programfeature/hosts/mariluclosesmall_az_lg.jpg

Dion
11-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Haha yeah. She was something, for sure. :D

Edit: Still is!

http://www-tc.pbs.org/wgbh/ballroomchallenge/images/programfeature/hosts/mariluclosesmall_az_lg.jpg

Yummy! :cool:

habernac
11-17-2008, 02:10 PM
Best part of Taxi: Christopher Lloyd as Jim Ignatowski
Worst: It gave us Tony "I'm too dumb to have a character name different from my own" Danza

poor Doc lost his $11 million dollar home and all contents in the massive brush fires of the past week in California.

Flame Of Liberty
11-17-2008, 02:18 PM

Awesome show, awesome pick! I don't think there is a single weak character on this show, so no matter who is on the screen at any given moment, the show is always hilarious. Can't wait for Season 8.

You are right about Elliot, but I have a soft spot for Jordan, that woman is a dream come true ;)

troutman
11-17-2008, 02:30 PM
The series was nominated for Gemini Awards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemini_Award) in 2005, 2006 and 2008 as the best Canadian comedy series, and has received a Rose d'Or nomination in Switzerland for "best international comedy series". The show has spawned several replicas of its format, including a British version on Sky One (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_One) called Ed vs. Spencer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_vs._Spencer). There is also a German (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany) version of the show, called Elton vs. Simon, featuring two German comedians and friends. A French Canadian version, called Frank vs Girard airs on VRAK.TV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRAK.TV). Also following this format is Juan vs. Roman in Latin America (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_America), Cenk vs. Erdem in Turkey and Katja vs. Bridget in the Netherlands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netherlands).

German comedians?

Joke #1 - Take my wife - I command you. Now you will laugh.

Joke #2 - If my mother is from Hamburg and my father is from Frankfurt, does that make me a hamburger or a frankfurter? Laugh now.

http://www.german-jokes.com/gjd.html

What do you mean, nobody laughed? Alright, telling German humour properly may need a bit of practice. Tell the joke again. Tell it again, louder. And again! And again! Start laughing yourself, while you are still speaking. Explain the joke.

Ro
11-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Sorry guys and gals, busy with an "essay" in the album draft, not realizing I am up here. Pick up in ten minutes or so.

Ro
11-17-2008, 03:42 PM
The Mustard Inspectors select with their 5th round pick, in the Hospital/Medical category:

Nip/Tuck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nip/tuck)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/djroach/nip_tuck_ver7.jpg
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nip/tuck) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nip/tuck)
I remember watching the first season of this show and being stunned at the size of the balls the people who made it must have. The subject matter was brash and graphic, the dialogue anywhere from ultra-sexy to downright nasty, the plots twisted and explicit... it was like watching E.R. meets Hunter S. Thompson.

It's still like that to day, and as compelling as ever. The dark humor in the show is great, and the honest, open way in which it depicts everyday people handling their demons both at work and in their personal lives is truly entertaining stuff. Although Nip/Tuck won an Emmy in 2005 for Outstanding Drama Series, it is still criminally underappreciated by many people and was the only pick left in this category I wanted. From Variety:

Indeed, the not-so-subtle genius of this show is its ability to have it both ways -- to skewer our culture's obsession with youth and beauty while simultaneously reveling in it. At its best, "Nip/Tuck" dances right up to the line of "No, you can't go there," then pulls back enough to keep viewers enthralled. The nasty strains in the current season suggest that strategy continues, and it requires a surgeon's touch.

Barnes
11-17-2008, 04:37 PM
The Cleavland Indian Head Test Patterns select with their 5th round pick, in the Hospital/Medical category:

Quincy, M.E.

I am taking this show because I don't want to be stuck with Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.

http://crazyabouttv.com/Images/quincy.jpg

Quincy, M.E. TV show was a drama series. Plotlines would begin with a death that would appear to be from natural causes. Quincy, however, would notice something that would cause him to suspect foul play. Then he would changes roles from Medical Examiner to detective and solve the murder that was "unseen" by all others. Quincy's boss would always get upset believing that Quincy was seeing evidence that didn't exist. The police department didn't care for him "shouldering-in" on their territory either! That didn't even slow him down in his quest to solve the crime!

Prototype
11-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Was hoping Nip/Tuck was available the next time around. Didn't know where I'd put it, but nice grab Ro.

Flash
11-17-2008, 05:36 PM
With our next pick, Team Sequoia is proud to select, in the World (outside Canada/US) category, the British comedy, 'Allo 'Allo!

http://www.virginmedia.com/microsites/tvradio/slideshow/tv-revivals/img_1.jpg

A comic farce set during World War II, one of the most horrific times in human history, filled with racial stereotypes? But the show wasn't out to make fun of the war, it was spoofing television's war dramas, particularly the 1970's BBC1 drama Secret Army. The programme played fair by lampooning everyone involved - the randy French, the toffee-nosed British, the corrupt Germans and the incompetent Italians.

The great strength of the show was in the casting. Gorden Kaye was born to play the part of Rene Artois - always playing it straight and therefore creating a truly believable character. He was backed up by an outstanding ensemble cast, including the formidable talents of Carmen Silvera, Vicki Michelle, Richard Marner, Arthur Bostrom, Guy Siner, Sue Hodge, Richard Gibson, Kim Hartman, Kenneth Connor and Jack Haig.

'Allo 'Allo! has a large international following, and is still regularly repeated today. With its bedroom farce, accents, double entendres, innuendos, wordplay, catchphrases, slapstick and rather tame naughtiness, it became harmless fun for the whole family to enjoy. And the show itself became a real rollercoaster - the series was deceptively simple, but with every new episode the plot thickened, with different twists, turns and cliffhangers, just like a soap opera. With most sitcoms you can watch them in random order, but here you had a continually developing story. Even the characters changed over time, with some written out and others introduced. The writing was incredibly clever a perfect example of this is how they took the obstacle of language and turned into a rich source for humour.

Pilot, part 1:
Wkz1ecxrQO4

Pilot, part 2:
XFWONHgT10c

Pilot, part 3:
6ZCOCUTY5k8

Jagger
11-17-2008, 05:49 PM
With our next pick, Team Sequoia is proud to select, in the World (outside Canada/US) category, the British comedy, 'Allo 'Allo!

"I will say this only once and once only!"

Nice pick Flash

Flash
11-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks, Jagger...I have a feeling you might be one of the only other people in this draft who knows the show!

I never watched it during its original run, but have seen the re-runs, and love it. Anyone who hasn't seen it should definitely check it out.

Jagger
11-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks, Jagger...I have a feeling you might be one of the only other people in this draft who knows the show!

I never watched it during its original run, but have seen the re-runs, and love it. Anyone who hasn't seen it should definitely check it out.

At first I thought the show was really corny but did begin to enjoy it more as it went on. I mostly saw it in reruns too. It actually ran for 9 seasons I believe. There are a few other British shows that are similar in style, yet to be picked, that were extremely popular.

Superflyer
11-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Anyone else find it funny that all the "world" selections are coming from the U.K.?

Bobblehead
11-17-2008, 10:47 PM
page 2 bump - I think Habby is up

Flash
11-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Second page bump.

getbak
11-18-2008, 09:45 AM
More than 15 hours since the last pick. AK to Habernac, Bobblehead is up.

habernac
11-18-2008, 09:59 AM
under talk show, I'll take

The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson

This classic ran over 1800 shows between 1962-1992.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512YBVMQ29L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

And so it has come to this: I, uh... am one of the lucky people in the world; I found something I always wanted to do and I have enjoyed every single minute of it. I want to thank the gentlemen who've shared this stage with me for thirty years. Mr Ed McMahon, Mr Doc Severinsen, and you people watching. I can only tell you that it has been an honour and a privilege to come into your homes all these years and entertain you. And I hope when I find something that I want to do and I think you would like and come back that you'll be as gracious in inviting me into your home as you have been. I bid you a very heartfelt good night.

Bobblehead
11-18-2008, 10:07 AM
My intended pick has been taken 3 times so far in this round. So, without further adieu...

Watching Through the Static picks, in the Children's (education) category, Hammy Hamster aka Hammy Hamster's Tales along the Riverbank.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51IB9vdFfVL._SS500_.jpg

The story of an innocent hamster who lived in a boot on the riverbank. He was good friends with Matthew Mouse, who had a motorboat, and GP guinea pig, who had a jeep, airplane, balloon, and lived in a mill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_of_the_Riverbank
http://www.popcultureaddict.com/television/hammyhamster.htm
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2004/05/20/hammy20040520.html
http://www.amazon.ca/Hammy-Hamster-the/dp/B0009KA7Y0

I would recall watching this after I got home from school. Ahh, but that is another story....

GirlySports
11-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Cute!!

habernac
11-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Hammy Hamster! Classic!

Flash
11-18-2008, 10:45 AM
How bad is it that I didn't know there was a Children's education category? :bag: Or is that pick for the education/information category?

Bobblehead
11-18-2008, 10:46 AM
How bad is it that I didn't know there was a Children's education category? :bag: Or is that pick for the education/information category?

Yeah, that is where I am shoe-horning it in.

And it was Photon's tilt- shift photo thread that reminded me of this show.

Coach
11-18-2008, 10:46 AM
In the Canadian category team Pow! Right in the Kisser! selects The Royal Canadian Air Farce

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/programGuide/program/farce1.jpg

Dion
11-18-2008, 12:09 PM
Hammy the Hamster?

ooFnXHelLWA&feature=related

Superflyer
11-18-2008, 12:10 PM
CP Television Show Draft! (Round 5) - MATTYC, JERZEEGIRL, EASTERNGIRL, MYGIRL

So is Windom your girl???

Also is the educational category a "Childrens Educational" category or just any educational category?

GirlySports
11-18-2008, 12:39 PM

Also is the educational category a "Childrens Educational" category or just any educational category?

Yes.

He used to be just anyothergirl.

Superflyer
11-18-2008, 12:52 PM
So he went from any other girl to your girl, next round he will be "there is cab fare on the dresser, get out, girl" ;)

Dion
11-18-2008, 12:58 PM
So he went from any other girl to your girl, next round he will be "there is cab fare on the dresser, get out, girl" ;)

More like notmygirl :D

mrdeeds
11-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Hammy the Hamster?

ooFnXHelLWA&feature=related

I distinctly remember the characters having their own voices. Hammy was 'normal', Matty the mouse was kind of manic and GP sounded like WC Fields. Anybody else remember?

Ro
11-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Re: the Hammy video above.

I have never heard of that show, but it looks like it would be the funniest thing ever if you were 17 and a weed head. Hamsters flying around in a toy airplane? Mailing letters with a tortoise? Gold.

JerzeeGirl
11-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Team TV Guide is thrilled to select in the World category (and continuing the tradition of the show being from the UK...), Blackadder!

Seriously one of my fave shows of all time & eminently quote-able...I leave other shows on the table to choose this but count myself fortunate to have it in my stable!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/Tavie/blackadder.jpg

From Wikipedia:

Although each series is set in a different time era, all follow the fortunes (or rather, misfortunes) of Edmund Blackadder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_Blackadder) (played by Atkinson), who in each is a member of an English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_people) family dynasty (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynasty) present at many significant periods and places in British history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_United_Kingdom). Although the character starts as being quite unintelligent in the first series and gradually becomes smarter and more perceptive through each passing generation (while decreasing in social status), each Blackadder is a cynical (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynicism), cowardly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowardice) opportunist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunism) concerned with maintaining and increasing his own status and fortunes, regardless of his surroundings. In each series, Blackadder is usually a cynical (almost modern) voice puncturing the pretensions and stupidity of those around him, and what might — through modern eyes — be seen as the more ludicrous and insane follies of history (from the medieval (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Ages) religious witch-hunts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hunt) and the petty whims and insanities of various British monarchs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_monarchy) to the bloodshed and horror of World War I (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I)).

The lives of each of the Blackadders are also entwined with their servants, all from the Baldrick family line (played by Tony Robinson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Robinson)). Each generation acts as the dogsbody (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogsbody) to their respective Blackadder. They decrease in intelligence (and in personal hygiene standards) just as their masters' intellect increases. Each Blackadder and Baldrick are also saddled with the company of a dim-witted aristocrat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristocracy) whose presence Blackadder must somehow tolerate. This role was taken in the first two series by Lord Percy Percy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Percy_Percy) (Tim McInnerny (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_McInnerny)), in the third series by Prince George, Prince Regent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_IV_of_the_United_Kingdom), and in the fourth by Lieutenant George, the latter two played by Hugh Laurie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Laurie) (see George (Blackadder character) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_(Blackadder_character))).

Each series was set in a different period of English history (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_England), beginning in 1485 and ending in 1917 (with one 1999 special set in the then-present day) comprising six half-hour episodes. The first series, made in 1983, was called The Black Adder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Adder) (set in the fictional reign of 'Richard IV (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_of_Shrewsbury,_1st_Duke_of_York)'). This was followed by Blackadder II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackadder_II) in 1985 (set during the reign of Elizabeth I (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_I_of_England)), Blackadder the Third (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackadder_the_Third) in 1987 (set in the reign of George III (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_III_of_the_United_Kingdom)), and finally Blackadder Goes Forth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackadder_Goes_Forth) in 1989 (set in the trenches of the Great War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_War)).
In addition to these, three specials were also made: Blackadder: The Cavalier Years (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackadder:_The_Cavalier_Years) (set in the reign of Charles I (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_I_of_England)) appeared as a 15-minute insert during the 1988 Comic Relief (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Relief_(charity)) telethon; Blackadder's Christmas Carol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackadder%27s_Christmas_Carol) (mostly set during the reign of Queen Victoria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_of_the_United_Kingdom) with some scenes taking place in the locations of the second and third series, as well as another many centuries hence) was a 45-minute Christmas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_television_special) installment, broadcast the same year; and Blackadder: Back & Forth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackadder:_Back_%26_Forth) was a 30-minute film (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film) originally shown in a special cinema (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movie_theater) at the Millennium Dome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Dome) throughout 2000, and later transmitted by Sky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Sky_Broadcasting) and the BBC.

YouTube Goodies:

How To Treat Your Woman (Blackadder Goes Forth):
2xTm7Z_6Dcs

Dish & Dishonesty (Blackadder the Third):
MqaSK-6-LFk

The Head (Blackadder II):
9Px9CyYAI5c

Eastern Girl
11-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Team Idiot Box is proud to select in the category of Canadian, the awesome The Littlest Hobo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Littlest_Hobo).

Plot Summary:

a stray dog wanders from town to town, helping people in need.

Is that not brilliant in its simplicity?

Something I didn't know, it originally aired from 1963-1965, then was revived in 1979 and lasted until 1985.

Youtube goodies:

The theme song:
PINxfouNQFw

The Closing Credits:
Mt_rkavXeAc

I tried to find clips of the show itself, but there are so many clips on Youtube of people using their own dogs or just singing the theme, it was impossible to wade through them all.

I loved this show was I was little, so it just had to be my Canadian pick. I am happy to have thought of it.

Jagger
11-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Team TV Guide is thrilled to select in the World category (and continuing the tradition of the show being from the UK...), Blackadder!

Seriously one of my fave shows of all time & eminently quote-able...I leave other shows on the table to choose this but count myself fortunate to have it in my stable!

With me around you are seriously fortunate to be able to choose this one. I've considered choosing this one in every round after the first. This is one of my all time favourites. Rowan Atkinson is fantastic. I saw his one man show in Liverpool and he is incredibly talented.

Good (and lucky!!) pickup Jerzee.......

WindomURL
11-18-2008, 05:04 PM
under talk show, I'll take

The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson

I'm glad that this is accepted as a separate show (defined by the host)

In the Canadian category team Pow! Right in the Kisser! selects The Royal Canadian Air Farce

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/programGuide/program/farce1.jpg

Isn't that Eastern Girl in the front???? ;)

Well, I am getting good at the Buffalo Bill "tuck" :w00t:
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h180/mytragicdestiny/BillMySpaceedit.jpg

Re: the Hammy video above.

I have never heard of that show, but it looks like it would be the funniest thing ever if you were 17 and a weed head. Hamsters flying around in a toy airplane? Mailing letters with a tortoise? Gold.

I can confirm that it was the funniest thing when I was 20 and getting ready to head out for a day of skiing with my weed head friends!

Team Idiot Box is proud to select in the category of Canadian, the awesome The Littlest Hobo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Littlest_Hobo).

Plot Summary:

Something I didn't know, it originally aired from 1963-1965, then was revived in 1979 and lasted until 1985.

I loved this when I was little too...
in 1963-1965

My pick is coming soon.

WindomURL
11-18-2008, 05:18 PM
The Don Lapre Appreciation Society of Crossdressers picks in the COMEDY-Sitcom category,
"The Office" (2005)
(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386676/)(US version)

http://members.shaw.ca/windomurl/TheOffice%28US%29.jpg

A mockumentary on a group of typical office workers, where the workday consists of ego clashes, inappropriate behavior, and tedium. Based on the hit BBC series.

Write up to follow...

Jim vs. Dwight Prank collection
gLeI-V9h6EY

JerzeeGirl
11-18-2008, 05:31 PM
With me around you are seriously fortunate to be able to choose this one. I've considered choosing this one in every round after the first. This is one of my all time favourites. Rowan Atkinson is fantastic. I saw his one man show in Liverpool and he is incredibly talented.

Good (and lucky!!) pickup Jerzee.......

Thank you sir, I shall not gloat at my luck simply say better luck next round! ;)

And yes, Rowan Atkinson is simply beyond brilliant - a thinking man's Jim Carrey - able to use his face like a cartoon character BUT also be intelligent...(and not bad looking back in the day either....)

TBQH while I would've been sad/upset to miss out on Blackadder, there are so many choice Britcoms to choose from that I could've found another without too much effort but I am just as happy to leave that to you Jagger. :)

JerzeeGirl
11-18-2008, 05:34 PM
The Don Lapre Appreciation Society of Crossdressers picks in the COMEDY-Sitcom category,
"The Office" (2005) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386676/)

Excellent pick Windom!!!

....while I love the British version this is certainly one re-make that was not ruined due to the brilliance of Steve Carrell and the rest of the cast.

After the trash that was the Ab Fab import among others, I dreaded to see how they'd ruin The Office and was thrilled at how well it came across the ocean.

Dion
11-18-2008, 05:38 PM

Plot Summary:

Youtube goodies:

The theme song:
PINxfouNQFw

The Closing Credits:
Mt_rkavXeAc

I tried to find clips of the show itself, but there are so many clips on Youtube of people using their own dogs or just singing the theme, it was impossible to wade through them all.

I loved this show was I was little, so it just had to be my Canadian pick. I am happy to have thought of it.

I thought you didn't watch much TV? That was to be my Canadian selection :whaa:

Excellent choice :)

Eastern Girl
11-18-2008, 05:41 PM
I thought you didn't watch much TV? That was to be my Canadian selection :whaa:

Excellent choice :)

I don't.

....But when I was a little wee girl in the 80s, I did. ;)

I had another show pencilled in this category, but one day, mysteriously, I began singing the theme song to this show, so I had to pick it.

Jagger
11-18-2008, 05:47 PM
"The Office" (2005)

Nice!

I really enjoy the American office too which is very ususual for a British remake. There have been so many remakes of excellent Britcoms that have bombed in the States. They have tried to do Fawlty Towers on a few occasions with terrible results.

With The Office (US) though they got the characters just right. It's an excellent show in it's own right.

Dion
11-18-2008, 05:50 PM
I don't.

....But when I was a little wee girl in the 80s, I did. ;)

I had another show pencilled in this category, but one day, mysteriously, I began singing the theme song to this show, so I had to pick it.

Stop singing in the shower! You're taking my picks :D

Bobblehead
11-18-2008, 06:13 PM
I distinctly remember the characters having their own voices. Hammy was 'normal', Matty the mouse was kind of manic and GP sounded like WC Fields. Anybody else remember?

Yeah, I think that is the British version Dion found. I know what you mean.

Superflyer
11-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Well it seems that things have worked out for the Infomercial Kings as our pick that we were woried about last round is still here.
So the Infomercial Kings are proud to select in the 4th round, in the World category - Cracker.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41V65SYT8JL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Fitz is a classic antihero, unfaithful to his wife, alcoholic, a chain smoker, overweight, addicted to gambling, manic, foulmouthed and sarcastic; and yet cerebral and brilliant at his speciality: getting into the heads of violent criminals. As Fitz confesses in "Brotherly Love": "I drink too much, I smoke too much, I gamble too much. I am too much."
Each case spanned several episodes and cliffhangers were quite often used, but it was not until the end of the second series that a cliffhanger was employed to tie off the series. Some of the plotlines in the cases took as their starting point real events such as the Hillsborough disaster, while others were purely fictional with only tangential ties to actual events.

npe_vZ1TklM

HalifaxDrunk
11-18-2008, 10:54 PM

I now officially hate you (not really), it was the only show on my radar for World. Now this category will prob wait until the last round and then I'll take a random Zimbabwean sitcom.

getbak
11-18-2008, 10:56 PM
"Baltimore, home of the misdemeanor homicide."

For my next pick, Frozen TV Dinner is very pleased to select what is possibly the best police drama to air on broadcast television. In the Crime/Drama category, originally airing from 1993 to 1999 on NBC, Homicide: Life on the Streets.

http://www.dvdoutsider.co.uk/dvd/pix/h/ho/hmcd/homicides1f.jpg

A critically acclaimed, but ratings-challenged show, Homicide debuted in the coveted post-Super Bowl slot in 1993 but soon found itself airing in the death-slot of Friday night at 10pm.

Despite its poor time slot and weak ratings, NBC kept it on the air for seven seasons (although its second season was only 4 episodes long) because of the strength of its stories and characters. Andre Braugher was spectacular in his (eventually Emmy winning) portrayal of Frank Pembleton.

The show lost steam after Braugher left the show after its sixth season, and only lasted one season without Pembleton. Only four actors remained with the show for its entire run: Yaphet Kotto as Al Giardello; Clark Johnson as Meldrick Lewis; Kyle Secor as Tim Bayliss; and Richard Belzer as the ever-present John Munch. Munch was such a popular character that he was transferred from Baltimore to New York City, where he still serves the innocent people of the television universe on Law & Order:SVU.

A great scene...
SHhxZ4BWeBQ

Happy New Year, 1997...
bljHubXjoT0

Superflyer
11-19-2008, 07:37 AM
Bumparoo

Prototype
11-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Gonna go a little off the board again...

In the Reality (Ongoing) category, I'm goint to grab MTV's ROB & BIG.

Rob & Big was an American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) reality television series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reality_television_series) that followed the lives of professional skateboarder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skateboarding)/american actor, Rob Dyrdek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Dyrdek) , and his best friend and body guard, Christopher "Big Black" Boykin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Boykin). The show premiered on November 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_2), 2006 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006) and ended on April 15 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_15), 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008). The series was produced by Ruben Fleischer and directed by Mark Jacobs. Season 3 premiered on January 8 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_8), 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008). On April 15 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_15), 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008) the one hour series finale aired in which Big Black has a child and subsequently moves out of Rob's home.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51QnchKzYdL._SS500_.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0791283/

Just when you thought MTV was a lost cause, professional skateboarder Rob Dyrdek comes along and, armed with his best friend and bodyguard Big Black (aka Christopher Boyken), a skateboard, and a bulldog named Meaty, gives us a reason to tune in again. "Rob & Big" is a buddy comedy to end all buddy comedies. Cameras follow the duo living together in Dyrdek's Hollywood mansion off DC shoes royalties, with nothing to do all day except follow their every whim. This can include buying a mini-horse, attending a turtle racing tournament, trying to travel through time and trying to break a few world records.

lLel4NBbINU
1D3URweJgLs
TllLBm7c4mA
p7i3lAleVsw

HalifaxDrunk
11-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Edit - picked out of turn. Sorry.

Flash
11-19-2008, 09:00 AM
What happened to Dion's pick?

HalifaxDrunk
11-19-2008, 09:09 AM
What happened to Dion's pick?

Doh! I messed up. Mine has been removed for now, hope he didn't see it and steals it.

Flash
11-19-2008, 09:13 AM
Doh! I messed up. Mine has been removed for now, hope he didn't see it and steals it.

LOL...I think I might have been the only one to see it, so no worries.

getbak
11-19-2008, 09:15 AM
I saw it and I'll tell Dion what it was for $100. :D

HalifaxDrunk
11-19-2008, 09:56 AM
I saw it and I'll tell Dion what it was for $100. :D

That just got you cut out of my Will.

Dion
11-19-2008, 11:19 AM
5th pick in the TV Draft http://i34.tinypic.com/291p30n.jpg proudly select from the Pre 80's Category........

http://i36.tinypic.com/2qiz3t3.jpg

Set in a prisoner-of-war camp during World War II, Hogan's Heroes is lightly based on the play/film, "Stalag 17." Hogan's Heroes focuses on the exploits of five main prisoners of war (Hogan, LeBeau, Newkirk, Carter & Kinchloe who, while under the cover of being typical prisoners of war, are really secretly doing their best to sabotage the German war effort through whatever means necessary. They communicate regularly with the outside, easily move throughout the camp and outside to town by using numerous tunnels, and have all the munitions, money, and uniforms to do pretty much as they please.

I love watching the re runs of this show and recently bought some the seasons DVD's :cool:

Theme Song & Opening

Uwp_CNPYv5g

Can't.....I lost my rifle!!

NPk5mCYKCtU

War Takes a Holiday

ib-zV95wq3c&feature=related

Schultz Plays Poker

sSkQIws0pdo&feature=related

Klink Gets a Prank Call

ZStaaVuxsgg&feature=related

Dion
11-19-2008, 11:20 AM

You're lucky man. Just signed on and didn't see it :D

Bobblehead
11-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Nice pick, Dion. A classic.

Prototype
11-19-2008, 11:44 AM
I bet I know what Drunk is picking.

HalifaxDrunk
11-19-2008, 12:56 PM
With our next selection team Jumped the Shark is pleased to grab in the Drama category:

Rescue Me
http://www.cosmickennels.com/Rescue_Me.jpg

Rescue Me focuses on the professional and personal lives of New York City firefighters after the trauma of the September 11, 2001 attacks. The show stars Denis Leary, who plays the role of a New York City firefighter Tommy Gavin, a character whose life is full of torment and chaos.

Tommy has to struggle with the loss of his cousin, and best friend, Jimmy Keefe, who died on September 11th, 2001 and frequently visits Tommy in visions. In the pilot episode, Tommy and his wife have already separated and Tommy moved across the street. He is ill-tempered, self destructive, hypocritical, manipulative, and a relapsed alcoholic. He has also realized how much he has contributed to the breakup of his family and constantly struggles to reconcile with them. He loves his children very much and desires to get back together with his wife. However, despite slowly making steps toward his redemption, tragedy always seems to be right around the corner.

Ih3ECjDVT9Y

CiNMp8oGSTo

Prototype
11-19-2008, 04:11 PM
I did not expect that. I totally thought you were going Designing Women...

Dion
11-19-2008, 05:36 PM
I did not expect that. I totally thought you were going Designing Women...

HD said in a PM he was talking The Golden Girls with his next pick :w00t:

HalifaxDrunk
11-19-2008, 05:59 PM
HD said in a PM he was talking The Golden Girls with his next pick :w00t:

Well, so much for a private conversation! I'm glad I didn't mention my upcoming Murder She Wrote selection.....

Eastern Girl
11-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Awww, Golden Girls was a great show, darnit!! COME ON!! Sophia alone was priceless.

Jagger
11-19-2008, 06:50 PM
I'll have my pick up later. It's my eldest daughter's 4th birthday today. Priorities and all that jazz you know .......

Dion
11-19-2008, 07:00 PM
Happy B Day to your daughter! :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/Happy1958/cake.gif

Flash
11-20-2008, 12:04 AM
Second page bump.

Jagger must have gone to bed...too much partying! :)

Bobblehead
11-20-2008, 08:30 AM
Second page bump.

Jagger must have gone to bed...too much partying! :)

MAybe his 4 year old drank him under the table. Spiked juice boxes for all!

Jagger
11-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Quick pick before I head out.

WTR? are pleased to select representing the action/adventure category the BBC series,

Spooks (AKA: MI-5 in North America)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/spooks/images/spooksbanner.gif (http://www.bbc.co.uk/spooks/)http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/ae/Spooks002.JPG/300px-Spooks002.JPG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Spooks002.JPG)

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM3NTYzODQ5OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzIwMTU1MQ@@._ V1._SX100_SY139_.jpg

Spooks is a BAFTA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Academy_Television_Awards) award-winning British television (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_television) drama series, produced by the independent production company Kudos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos_%28production_company%29) for BBC One (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_One). The title derives from a popular colloquialism for spies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espionage), as the series follows the work of a group of MI5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MI5) intelligence officers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_officer) at Thames House (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thames_House). In the United States and France, the show is aired under the title MI-5. In Canada the program originally aired as "MI5" but now airs on BBC Canada as "Spooks". The programme was created by writer David Wolstencroft (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Wolstencroft).
The programme regularly attracts popular guest actors, with performers such as Hugh Laurie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Laurie), Tim McInnerny (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_McInnerny), Ian McDiarmid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_McDiarmid), Jimi Mistry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimi_Mistry), Andy Serkis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Serkis), Andrew Tiernan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Tiernan), Anton Lesser (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Lesser), Alexander Siddig (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Siddig) and Anthony Stewart Head (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Stewart_Head).

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U3ccFR6T_VM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U3ccFR6T_VM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I've been really impressed by people's knowledge of British TV shows in this draft. I pretty much realize that I have to grab them while I can now. I've made the mistake of leaving them on the table in past rounds. That's not going to happen anymore!!!!

Flash
11-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Nice pick, Jagger...I'm going to have to go through my list of possible British shows now and snap them up! :D

Displaced Flames fan
11-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Vic Mackey and the Strike Team is happy to select in the category of Talk Show, Late Night with David Letterman!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083441/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51z69s%2BHxPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Let me be clear, this is the NBC show that ran from 1982-1993, not the current CBS show. I much prefer wacky and whimsical Dave to crabby and political Dave!

Letterman's original show was able to follow The Tonight Show and do so successfully, so much so that Letterman made a strong push to take over the Tonight Show upon Carson's retirement. When NBC went with Leno, Dave moved his crew to CBS and The Late Show.

Wacky sound effects, the invention of the top 10 list, Larry 'Bud' Melman, Chris Elliot...so much great stuff came out of that original show!

The greatest thing about Letterman's early shows was his penchant for breaking young comics and bands on the show. Some of the greatest young comics really made their mark on his show and he debuted some great bands as well, including REM. I always enjoyed the musical guests the most I think.

REM's Television debut (second song of the night, South Central Rain)

Ykp0Vq77IBw

An Early Howard Stern appearance

O1X5cQ1ymnQ

First show monologue
f2HjxYyAqJc&feature=related

Dion
11-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Damn you DFF!

Flamesguy_SJ
11-20-2008, 08:14 PM
"Even in the worst of times, it's possible to find the best -- in ourselves and in others..."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/09/Jericho.tvseries.jpg

With our 6th round pick, the Channel Surfers are pleased to select Jericho in the Drama category for the time being.

wiki:

The storyline centers on the residents of Jericho (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jericho,_Kansas_%28fictional_town%29), a small, rural Kansas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas) town, in the aftermath of nuclear attacks on 23 major cities in the contiguous United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States). The series begins with a visible nuclear detonation of unknown origin in nearby Denver, Colorado (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver,_Colorado), and a loss of power and modern communications, effectively isolating Jericho. Later, power is restored to Jericho by what is alluded to as the efforts of the U.S. government, but soon after, an electromagnetic pulse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse) (EMP) disables all electronics. Several themes regularly addressed in the show included the gathering of information, community identity, public order, limited resources, the value of family, hardships of fatherhood and internal and external threats. The show also features several mysteries involving the backgrounds of major characters, the perpetrators of the attack, and the extent of damage to the United States and its government.
The pivotal character in this story is Jake Green (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Green), the 32-year-old son of Mayor Johnston Green (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnston_Green), who briefly returns home to visit his family and friends before becoming stranded as a result of the catastrophe. After a somewhat awkward return home and a tense reunion with his father, Jake steps up to become a leader in Jericho, fighting to protect the town and its citizens. As the people of Jericho struggle to survive in a changed world, most remain unaware that one of the newest residents, Robert Hawkins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Hawkins_%28Jericho_character%29), knows much more about the attacks than he lets on.

Season 1 montage

y3-Z0Tt--Fc

I actually didn't get into this show when it was on-air. I had heard a little about it and knew it was around, but finally decided to try it out earlier this Fall, and I certainly was not disappointed. The first season was really, really great...I loved the first few episodes, and was hooked from there.

In a lot of ways, it's a shame that it never made it past season 2, but then I dont really think it could have done much more with the premise...the ending was enough closure for the show to go out strong.

Dion
11-20-2008, 08:17 PM
2 picks of mine gone just like that :boom:

Barnes
11-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Bumparooni

Edit: whoops. Didn't realize the thread was moved. This is not going to go well I fear.

Flash
11-21-2008, 08:48 AM
I think it's going to take a lot longer now that the thread has moved.

Dion
11-21-2008, 01:12 PM
I think it's going to take a lot longer now that the thread has moved.

I had trouble finding it. Why was it moved?

Prototype
11-21-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't know how it wont go well. You knew where it was before, and the likelyhood of us having to bump where it is now is very low. It has a new home, and now that you know where it is, how hard is it to make one more click?

Jagger
11-21-2008, 01:17 PM
^^^ It's actually easier to find now. No more bumping. Moreover all you have to do is bookmark or tab it to find the thread right away in any case.

Dion
11-21-2008, 01:17 PM
I don't know how it wont go well. You knew where it was before, and the likelyhood of us having to bump where it is now is very low. It has a new home, and now that you know where it is, how hard is it to make one more click?

I don't think everyone knows that it has been moved. I didn't which is why i found it hard to find.

Dion
11-21-2008, 01:44 PM
The caption trivia contest category isn't to found on the main page either.

Dion
11-21-2008, 03:47 PM
15 hours since last pick.

WindomURL
11-21-2008, 03:50 PM
They have these things called Bookmarks now. I LOVE TECHNOLOGY! ;)

MissTeeks, where are you?

Dion
11-21-2008, 04:20 PM
They have these things called Bookmarks now. I LOVE TECHNOLOGY! ;)

MissTeeks, where are you?

It always seems to slow to a crawl when he get to this point in the draft :(

Flash
11-21-2008, 08:53 PM
It always seems to slow to a crawl when he get to this point in the draft :(

Really? We're only in the fifth round. There's 20 categories...this is going to take months! For those who have participated in other drafts, how long did those ones take?

WindomURL
11-21-2008, 09:07 PM
I think Dion means at this point in the round. And looking back, I think he's right.

Oh well, it's a Friday night.

Dion
11-21-2008, 09:13 PM
I think Dion means at this point in the round. And looking back, I think he's right.

Oh well, it's a Friday night.

It is but i'll probably get shat on for that comment. We move quickly in certain parts then slow to crawl. But your right it's the weekend and all.

liamenator
11-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Really? We're only in the fifth round. There's 20 categories...this is going to take months! For those who have participated in other drafts, how long did those ones take?

Months!

Dion
11-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Months!

How many months might we be talking about? :eek:

getbak
11-21-2008, 09:26 PM
The first pick in the movie draft was on July 28 and is near the end of the final round. It will be over in just under 4 months (28 teams, 20 rounds - so 560 total picks).

This draft has 6 fewer teams, 120 fewer picks, so it should go a little faster.

Dion
11-21-2008, 09:34 PM
The first pick in the movie draft was on July 28 and is near the end of the final round. It will be over in just under 4 months (28 teams, 20 rounds - so 560 total picks).

This draft has 6 fewer teams, 120 fewer picks, so it should go a little faster.

That puts things in perspective for now. Maybe i was harsh with my comments then.

sadora
11-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Sorry for the delay boys & girls...just a crazy last few days.

So, Team Vandelay Industries is happy to select in the Reality (Elimination) Category...

TOP CHEF

http://imgtvfan.ew.com/upload/episode/image/3932/double/top_chef_logo1.jpg

I just love this show. It features some very talented Chefs going head to head in weekly challenges with some very interesting themes. This is a show that truly highlights culinary creativity, judged by a panel of professional chefs and other notables from the food and wine industry.

jKr-BR5ClaI&feature=related

dLlqWaSZ2VU&feature=relatedp

XTeNju-KcNo&feature=related

WindomURL
11-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Here's some more perspective. We've had 114 picks so far in the TV draft in 21 days (Fri Oct 31 through Fri Nov 21.)

For the movie draft, pick #114 happened on 08-19-2008, which is 23 days after the start. Close, but it feels like the TV draft has gone noticeably faster.

Dion
11-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Here's some more perspective. We've had 114 picks so far in the TV draft in 21 days (Fri Oct 31 through Fri Nov 21.)

For the movie draft, pick #114 happened on 08-19-2008, which is 23 days after the start. Close, but it feels like the TV draft has gone noticeably faster.

When you put it that way it does make it look as if we are moving faster.

Flash
11-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Sorry for the delay boys & girls...just a crazy last few days.

So, Team Vandelay Industries is happy to select in the Reality (Elimination) Category...

TOP CHEF

Damn you Sadora, that was going to be my pick!! :whaa: I love that show.

Superflyer
11-21-2008, 10:47 PM
These need an RSS feed now.

Dion
11-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Damn you Sadora, that was going to be my pick!! :whaa: I love that show.

Well...there's always Emeril Lagasse :D

Flash
11-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Well...there's always Emeril Lagasse :D

LOL...I used to like him, but then the BAM! thing just got annoying.

Dion
11-21-2008, 11:01 PM
LOL...I used to like him, but then the BAM! thing just got annoying.

Even worse was his Crest toothpaste commercials :D

Flash
11-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Even worse was his Crest toothpaste commercials :D

Don't even get me started on those! Looking for the next "catchphrase"...BAM! doesn't do it anymore...yeah, that's for sure, it hasn't been a catchphrase for years. :mad:

MissTeeks
11-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Sorry for the wait, but I was busy tonight. I still had my time right?

So, since it seems that World picks are going fast and furious, I might as well select one as well since I don't really know many shows outside North America. So in the World category, Team Legen..wait for it...dary selects Are You Being Served?

It turns out my sister and I were pretty weird kids because we always used to watch reruns of this show when it was on late nights on YTV. It's a comedy set in a department store in London and the employees that work in the mens and ladies clothing department. I enjoy it because it has screwball comedy and is filled with double entendres. Mr. Humphries was always our favorite and it was always fun to see what color hair Ms. Slocombe was going to have each episode.

IMDB page:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068040/

Crazy theme music:

0P6r6-gZYkI

Crazy Mr. Humphries

8-JxUdk7LKg

Maritime Q-Scout
11-22-2008, 05:46 AM
I'm going to be away from the computer for the next little bit. I don't know if I'll get a chance to properly post my next selection.

I'm gonna PM the info to GirlySports, and tomorrow morning I'll check my inbox through my buddy's blackberry to ensure it went through ok.

Three more than me (I might be safe but still better to be safe than sorry)

WindomURL
11-22-2008, 05:50 AM
Actually, one more (liamenator), then you. The others have picked since Girly last updated the thread title.

Maritime Q-Scout
11-22-2008, 05:58 AM
Good catch, so as long as liamenator doesn't pick ___________ then I'm fine.

Displaced Flames fan
11-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Are You Being Served is a great show. My late Mother-in-law loved that show. Nice pick!

liamenator
11-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Hm... OK... Tough call.... Can't decide between 2 picks.... Alright, we'll go with, in the Action/Adventure category... One of very few action shows in recent years that actually hooked my attention from week to week. Interesting, mysterious, conspiratorial plot-lines that engaged the active viewer... Smart characters that were written well... And Jennifer Garner in all those disguises. Good lord, Jennifer Garner. Alias!

http://home.arcor.de/tru_davies/alias.jpg

It's last couple of seasons the show definitely lost its edge. The season-long plot-lines proved to be too intricate and confusing for the casual network viewer, so JJ Abrams was forced to "dumb it down" into single serving episodes. Which really just didn't work. But at its peak, Alias would leave you with cliffhangers so unexpected, you'd be bashing your head against the wall all summer trying to figure out what the H just happened.

For instance, this moment:
UyfLX81_AJg

and this, the greatest opening scene in the history of television? Possibly. ;)
6wfBelrO_IU

getbak
11-22-2008, 12:57 PM
Ah, yes, the Super Bowl episode. Great way to grab the football fan audience.

Dion
11-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Love that show liamenator!

liamenator
11-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Ah, yes, the Super Bowl episode. Great way to grab the football fan audience.

I know, I agree... But apparently America did not:
Despite earning critical acclaim from USA Today (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_Today)[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_%28TV_series%29#cite_note-usatoday-6) for the January 26 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_26), 2003 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003) episode entitled "Phase One (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_episodes_%28Season_2%29#Phase_One)" and attracting the largest audience of the series with 17.4 million viewers,[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_%28TV_series%29#cite_note-medialife-7) this episode retained just 19 percent[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_%28TV_series%29#cite_note-medialife-7) of the Super Bowl XXXVII (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XXXVII) audience and has the dubious distinction of earning the lowest overall ratings for a program airing after a Super Bowl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl) since at least 1987[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_%28TV_series%29#cite_note-medialife-7) and the lowest rating ever (8.3 rating) in the age 18-49 demographic for a post-Super Bowl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl) program.[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alias_%28TV_series%29#cite_note-medialife-7) Also, since the episode started airing at 11 p.m. on the East Coast, it was not eligible for the week's list of top primetime shows ranked by Nielsen Media Research (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_Media_Research) and thus, the episode's viewership numbers were not factored in the series' overall 2002-2003 season average

Travesty!

GirlySports
11-22-2008, 03:04 PM
From Maritimer:

With our sixth selection in the 2008 Calgary Puck Television Draft, we here at the Patterson Corporation are please to select for our lineup on our new channel MQS-TV, a spin-off that surpassed it’s predecessor. Starting in 2004 and currently in its final season, it was the winner of 5 Emmy’s with 15 nominations, as well as receiving a Golden Globe with 3 nominations; in addition two actors received Emmy awards for portraying their characters in the series this pick was spun off of. Staring the talented Candice Bergen, William Shatner, and who in my opinion may very well be the best actor on television today James Spader; filling our Legal* slot, we here at MQS-TV humbly select from the American Broadcasting Company, Boston Legal.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1649/bostonlegalsaison3bn5.jpg

S3gEf10ioYs

(that's the only opening credits I could find, if anyone else finds better ones let me know)

JerzeeGirl
11-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Sorry for the wait, but I was busy tonight. I still had my time right?

So, since it seems that World picks are going fast and furious, I might as well select one as well since I don't really know many shows outside North America. So in the World category, Team Legen..wait for it...dary selects Are You Being Served?

It turns out my sister and I were pretty weird kids because we always used to watch reruns of this show when it was on late nights on YTV. It's a comedy set in a department store in London and the employees that work in the mens and ladies clothing department. I enjoy it because it has screwball comedy and is filled with double entendres. Mr. Humphries was always our favorite and it was always fun to see what color hair Ms. Slocombe was going to have each episode.

You aren't the only ones - I used to love watching late night YTV for shows like Are You Being Served among others - great pick Miss Teeks!!!!

FanIn80
11-22-2008, 09:08 PM
For my next pick, in the Action/Adventure category...

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them... maybe you can hire...

The A-Team!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b1/A-Team_logo.jpg

cwrIoxrHpAQ

getbak
11-22-2008, 09:21 PM
"I love it when a plan comes together."

I hate it when someone picks a show I was hoping to get. :fist:

Ro
11-22-2008, 09:51 PM
I will select HBO's Carnivale in the Fantasy/Sci-Fi category (Wiki has it listed as Fantasy). Writeup to follow.

Dion
11-22-2008, 09:56 PM
Great pick Fanin80!

[Face, B.A., and Murdoch are squeezed into the back seat of a car]
Murdock (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0776239/): There isn't room for four of us?
B.A. Baracus (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001558/): What? What do you mean four, sucker?
[grabs him]
B.A. Baracus (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001558/): There's three of us, you fool!
Face (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0070767/): Better say three, Murdock, or he's going to bounce you down the hyphenated line.

sadora
11-23-2008, 10:33 AM
So why is my name in brackets? I made my pick for this round already, or had I been a'kicked?

Flash
11-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Is it my turn? Don't want to go ahead until someone says it's okay.

getbak
11-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Is it my turn? Don't want to go ahead until someone says it's okay.
Yeah. Over 15 hours since Ro picked, so you're good.

Flash
11-23-2008, 09:06 PM
With our sixth round selection, Team Sequoia is proud to select, in the Comedy (Open) Category, Whose Line Is it Anyway?

From Wikipedia:
Whose Line Is It Anyway? (abbreviated to Whose Line? or WLIIA) was a short-form improvisational comedy TV show. Originally a British radio programme, it moved to television in 1988 as a series made for Britain's Channel 4. Following the conclusion of the British run in 1998, ABC began airing a version for the United States audience.

The show consisted of a panel of four performers who create characters, scenes and songs on the spot, in the style of short-form improvisation games. Topics for the games were based on either audience suggestions or predetermined prompts from the host. Both the British and the American shows ostensibly took the form of a game show with the host arbitrarily assigning points and likewise choosing a winner at the end of each episode.

I'm not as familiar with the UK version, I've only seen a few episodes of it, but I loved the US version, with Drew Carey as the host. The combination of Wayne Brady, Colin Mochrie and Ryan Stiles was hilarious in my opinion, and I fully enjoyed both Greg Proops and Brad Sherwood as the fourth comedian.

One of my favourite segments was called "Hoe Down" done near the end of the show...here's a few good ones I found on Youtube:

Going Bald:
TOHzs9fM3dY

You're Ugly
2rLb-fMN_Rs

Drunk Mother
02Jc5DXEhY8

Displaced Flames fan
11-23-2008, 09:20 PM
Nice choice. Never failed to deliver plenty of laughs.

The UK version was good too as Stiles and Mochrie were on it a lot, but the addition of Drew Carey made the US version superior.

Great stuff!

Dion
11-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Love the "drunk mother" hoe down! :D

Coach
11-23-2008, 10:12 PM
Ahhhh that was gonna be one of mine! Nice choice I thought I could get it as a sleeper

GirlySports
11-23-2008, 10:13 PM
Draft Board (http://geocities.com/cp_tv_draft/) is updated.

Habernac is the only team without a name, name it after your new daughter :)

Any mistakes let me know.

Coach
11-23-2008, 10:14 PM

MissTeeks made 2 World picks so I've put the latest one into wildcard #1.

Dragon ball z is my Sci-Fi pick

GirlySports
11-23-2008, 10:15 PM
Forget about the remarks about MissTeeks making 2 World picks, I messed up the board.

Dion
11-23-2008, 10:15 PM

Appreciate you do that GS! :)

Prototype
11-23-2008, 10:17 PM
In an attempt to distance myself from Barnes' team, please rename my team "Team Alternate Feed". Thanks!

GirlySports
11-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Dragon ball z is my Sci-Fi pick

You mean it's not a soap opera? :)

Everything's fixed.

Coach
11-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Lol thanks

Prototype
11-23-2008, 10:21 PM
Cosby is in the wrong slot.

GirlySports
11-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Cosby is in the wrong slot.

Fixed.
Also fixed a few other things.

Updated.

Eastern Girl
11-23-2008, 10:37 PM
I loved both versions of Whose Line? My favourites tended to be the ones where something went wrong, the time when Ryan Styles broke the light on the desk when he threw his head into it, or when the pre programmed song in the keyboard started picking up the tempo for some reason while Wayne was singing to it, or the ones where the audience members were asked to provide the soundeffects and they were always terrible about it, or the one where Wayne picked up a female audience member and ended up pulling up her skirt by accident. Great show, loved Drew Carey!

Flamesguy_SJ
11-23-2008, 11:00 PM
^^^ one of my favorite Whose Line mishaps is when they did "Title Sequence" and took a suggestion from the audience that the sequence should be about Bill Cosby & Hitler. One of the producers (im guessing) came over to Drew and told him he couldn't do it, so they switched it to Bill Cosby and an insurance salesman.

Throughout the rest of the show, Drew referenced the Hitler thing over and over again to much hilarity.

FJfeTAm65NE

Flash
11-23-2008, 11:12 PM
I loved both versions of Whose Line? My favourites tended to be the ones where something went wrong, the time when Ryan Styles broke the light on the desk when he threw his head into it, or when the pre programmed song in the keyboard started picking up the tempo for some reason while Wayne was singing to it, or the ones where the audience members were asked to provide the soundeffects and they were always terrible about it, or the one where Wayne picked up a female audience member and ended up pulling up her skirt by accident. Great show, loved Drew Carey!

Here's the incident, starts about 1:30 in.

ANa3l2HDLNw

But then, the Hoe Down at the end, after everyone else has sung theirs, Ryan Stiles does his, then adds 2 other ones, all three referencing the underwear incident.

FvdYY_8XJJo

Eastern Girl
11-23-2008, 11:17 PM
^^Yeah, that's the one. I remembered the hoe down about it as well. I remembered mostly Drew's reaction though, his laugh is so contagious. That woman was really good about it, too.

WindomURL
11-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Fixed.
Also fixed a few other things.

Updated.

Looks good to me. Just a couple of changes I can see.
Barnes' (5-99) pick should be Quincy, M.E.
For Bobblehead (1-4), Cincinatti should be spelled Cincinnati.

Also, after the brouhaha over Comedy-Sitcom vs. Comedy-Open, wasn't HD's pick of Family Ties allowed to be moved back to Open? I can't remember and I can't find it in the thread right now.

See the post at http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?p=1509987#post1509987 plus post #326 and #329 for the initial ruling.

Eastern Girl
11-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Here's the one where Ryan breaks the light on the desk with his head:

eIRFSsUvPeA

Flash
11-23-2008, 11:42 PM
^I remember that one!^ Too funny! When I decided to make this my pick, I spent ages on YouTube going through clips and found them just as funny now as I did when I first watched them. It's just too bad only the first season has been released on DVD (and I'm not sure if it's the entire season either :confused:). It's a show I could watch over and over again.

Jagger
11-24-2008, 12:42 AM
Nice choice. Never failed to deliver plenty of laughs.

The UK version was good too as Stiles and Mochrie were on it a lot, but the addition of Drew Carey made the US version superior.

Really? I don't think so but perhaps I'm biased. I thought that Clive Anderson was superb as the host. Very quick dry wit. If you aren't quick you miss his asides. His 'feud' with Greg Proops was hilarious. Also, the British version was raunchier and definitely edgier than the American version. The early years also had the likes of Josie Lawrence, Tony Slattery, and Mike McShane who were really good. To each their own I guess as they're both good. The British version is better though! :whistle:

habernac
11-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Team "Holy #$%! am I Tired i pleased to select, in reality ongoing, Survivorman

http://entimg.msn.com/i/gal/tv_daredevils/Survivorman_LStroud_400.jpg

Les Stroud rules.

Survivorman is a Canadian-produced television program, broadcast in Canada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada) on the Outdoor Life Network (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLN) (OLN), and in the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States) and internationally on The Discovery Channel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Discovery_Channel) and The Science Channel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Science_Channel). The show has aired two complete seasons to date - 2004 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004) and 2007 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007) - with a third and final season currently under production and airing.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorman#cite_note-0)
The title "Survivorman" refers to the host of the show, Canadian filmmaker and survival expert Les Stroud (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Stroud), who must use his skills to survive for seven days alone in remote locales with little or no food, water, and equipment.
During the filming of each episode, Stroud is alone, and operates all the cameras himself. He is equipped with only his clothes, camera equipment (which he does not use for survival except in an emergency), his harmonica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonica), a Leatherman multi-tool (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-tool), and often "everyday items" relevant to the episode's particular survival scenario. For safety purposes, Stroud carries an emergency satellite phone. In one episode, he has also been provided with a rifle for use only in defense against attacking polar bears. However, Stroud has claimed that while filming several episodes, there were times when his emergency phone did not work, leaving him totally alone.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivorman#cite_note-1)
Survivorman can be considered a sequel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequel) or spin-off (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin-off) to Stroud's earlier project, Stranded, a five-part series that was shown on the Canadian Discovery Channel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_Channel_Canada) in 2001.

Bobblehead
11-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Team "Watching Through the Static" picks Later with Bob Costas in the talk show category.

Not the standard late talk show, it was Bob and a guest; no studio audience, no house band, ans lots of interesting questions. Known for doing lots of research before shows, sometimes this made Costas appear a know-it-all, but more often it allowed for better questions. One famous example occurred when Marilu Henner was visiting: Several years ago, during an interview on the late-night NBC program Later, she revealed that she can remember what she did on any given date in the past. The host, Bob Costas chose to ask about July 20, 1969, the night of the first moon landing. Henner was briefly dumbstruck before revealing that she had lost her virginity that night in the shower, to which Costas replied, "At least we know Neil Armstrong wasn't the culprit."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094495/

I'll try to dig up a few clips later.

Prototype
11-24-2008, 09:00 AM
CTxkxG3DF4k

Coach
11-24-2008, 09:58 AM
In the Reality (elimination) category team Pow! Right in the Kisser! selects Fear Factor

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518CHszkL6L._SX320_SY240_.jpg

Dion
11-24-2008, 10:00 AM
My favourite part of Fear Factor :D

I Don't Like The Big One!

KPaMz885OKI&feature=related

HalifaxDrunk
11-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Team "Holy #$%! am I Tired i pleased to select, in reality ongoing, Survivorman

You suck, this was my next pick! I knew I should have taken it last round *kicks own ass*

Jagger
11-24-2008, 11:17 AM
CTxkxG3DF4k

Yeah, that one's pretty edgy, I'll give you that! :w00t:

what a great show!!

Displaced Flames fan
11-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Really? I don't think so but perhaps I'm biased. I thought that Clive Anderson was superb as the host. Very quick dry wit. If you aren't quick you miss his asides. His 'feud' with Greg Proops was hilarious. Also, the British version was raunchier and definitely edgier than the American version. The early years also had the likes of Josie Lawrence, Tony Slattery, and Mike McShane who were really good. To each their own I guess as they're both good. The British version is better though! :whistle:

Big fan of Josie.

Don't get me wrong, I like the British version a whole heck of a lot!

Barnes
11-24-2008, 10:10 PM
So solly. What happened to the weekend? Me brain too many kill cells.

For our whatever round pick this is, The Cleveland Indian Head Test Patterns are proud to select in the category of Sci Fi by a country mile the best Star Trek series Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3c/DS9logo.JPG

A science fiction television program that premiered in 1993 and ran for seven seasons, ending in 1999. Rooted in Gene Roddenberry’s Star Trek universe, it was created by Rick Berman and Michael Piller, at the request of Brandon Tartikoff, and produced by CBS Paramount Television. The main writers, in addition to Berman and Piller, included show runner Ira Steven Behr, Robert Hewitt Wolfe, Ronald D. Moore, Peter Allan Fields, Bradley Thompson, David Weddle, and René Echevarria.
A spin-off of Star Trek: The Next Generation, DS9 began while its parent series was still on the air, and there were several crossover episodes between the two shows. In addition, two Next Generation characters, Miles O'Brien and Worf, became regular members of DS9.
Unlike the other Star Trek programs, DS9 took place on a space station instead of a starship, so as not to have two series with starships at the same time. (The starship USS Defiant was introduced later in the series, but the station remained the primary setting for the show.) This made continuing story arcs and the appearance of recurring characters much more feasible. The show is noted for its well-developed characters and its original, complex plots. The series also depended on darker themes, less physical exploration of space, and an emphasis (in later seasons) on many aspects of war.

JerzeeGirl
11-24-2008, 11:13 PM
With our 5th pick, Team TV Guide selects in the Sci-Fi category, the cult classic series, Farscape.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/Tavie/farscape2.jpg

Starring Ben Browder as John Crichton who accidentally traverses a wormhole and finds himself on the opposite side of the universe in the midst of a crew of refugees from the Peacekeepers (former law enforcers now degenerating into a mercernary force that rules with brute strength).

The series was abruptly cancelled following its 4th season, much to the dismay of fans worldwide that started a major write-in & internet campaign to keep it alive. The campaign was unsuccessful - however the rights were obtained by Brian Henson who directed a 4hr mini-series written by the show's creator, Rockne O'Bannon.

Farscape is a thinking person's modern Star Trek/Star Wars & Star Gate all rolled up into one show. It's funny, sad and infuriating by turns but leaves you coming back for more to watch what happens week by week. If you are a sci-fi fan but you've missed out on Farscape be sure to check it out!!!!

YouTube Goodies:

Farscape Intro
DDEC5UE34_4

Crichton lets the dog out...
VSAJpJiE50M

Crichton to the rescue!
7t5AAW0L9bw

First Aid In Space...
F6npda3-XSs

Eastern Girl
11-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Team Idiot Box is proud to select in the category of Soap Opera/Serials, Coronation Street (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronation_Street).

I am not a fan of soaps, but I occasionally catch this one when I stay at my moms place. She loves this show and frankly, it's not too bad and a little bit addictive.

Coronation Street is set in Weatherfield, a fictional town in Salford, Greater Manchester. The programme focuses on the lives of the street's residents, of varying age, class and background.

Opening Credits
7H1M5oBKWE0

It's one of the UK's longest running programs, first hitting the airwaves in 1960. It is now one of the highest rated programs on British television. It's also one of the the few soaps I can tolerate so I had to pick it.

getbak
11-24-2008, 11:42 PM
I've been wondering how long it would take for Coronation Street to get picked.

WindomURL
11-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Quick pick before I go to bed. Will fill in the details tomorrow.

The Don Lapre Appreciation Society picks a Wildcard pick (for now) in Round 6, 128th overall, the Showtime series
Brotherhood (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457229/)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/58/Brotherhoodsho.jpg

Official site (http://www.sho.com/site/brotherhood/)
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brotherhood_%282006_TV_series%29)

Eastern Girl
11-24-2008, 11:46 PM
I had to pick Coronation Street. It's those darn accents! They're irresistible!

I actually had another pick lined up, but it really is the only soap I can tolerate. I had no other shows listed in that category.

JerzeeGirl
11-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Team Idiot Box is proud to select in the category of Soap Opera/Serials, Coronation Street (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronation_Street).

I am not a fan of soaps, but I occasionally catch this one when I stay at my moms place. She loves this show and frankly, it's not too bad and a little bit addictive.

My mom would thank you for this pick if she had an acct - she was recently away for 3wks and PVRd Coronation daily.......:rolleyes:

(but yes, it can be a little addictive if you watch an episode or two....:bag:)

Eastern Girl
11-25-2008, 12:04 AM
^^I stayed with my mom for about two weeks and she always watched it on CBC. I would get pretty PO'd about it, but pretty soon, I was asking her questions to figure out what's going on, to try and keep up etc. It's very bizarre the appeal this show has...

Coach
11-25-2008, 12:32 AM
my friends parents are british. His mom watches that show religiously. Had it lined up for my foreign pick, was hoping it would last a little longer. Nice choice

Jagger
11-25-2008, 12:37 AM
I had to pick Coronation Street. It's those darn accents! They're irresistible!

I actually had another pick lined up, but it really is the only soap I can tolerate. I had no other shows listed in that category.

Ahh, then you'd love my accent, love! I grew up 35 miles down the road from where Corrie (as Coronation Street is called over there) is filmed. Of course in British terms that's like Calgary to Toronto!

Good pick with Corrie though. Of course, it was on my short list. My nan (RIP) used to watch this show religiously for over 40 years! This is turning into quite the British TV draft. I like it!

Eastern Girl
11-25-2008, 12:51 AM
I am sure I would love your accent. I honestly haven't heard an accent that I didn't love.

And it's called Corrie here too, at least, that's what my mom has always called it. That, or "her show." I didn't realize how much of a following it had here though. My mom is the only one I know that's nuts over it, but I have friends that admit to watching it as well.

Superflyer
11-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Sorry all I just noticed that I am up, I keep forgetting to come into this section. Have my pick up by noon.

Superflyer
11-25-2008, 11:54 AM
The Infomercial Kings are happy to select in the Pre 80's category, Threes Company.

http://blogs.elcomercio.com.pe/tvenserie/threes%20company.jpg

This one of my favorite shows as a kid, my family loved watching it and so did I. Everything from Jack being a bumbling idiot to Chrissy being a hot airhead (She was probably my first crush)

Jack is studying to be a chef at a technical college and happens across Janet, a florist, and Chrissy, a secretary, in need of a new roommate. Due to Stanley Roper's intolerence for co-ed living situations, even in a multi-bedroom apartment, Janet tells him that Jack is gay. Helen Roper figures out Jack's true sexuality in the second episode, and does not tell her husband, her bond with the three roommates grows until the Roper's departure, and she often sides with them over her husband.
The show was set minutes from the beach in Santa Monica, California, and focused on three sets until the later seasons: the trio's apartment, their landlord's apartment and the neighborhood pub, The Regal Beagle. In later seasons more sets were used, regularly seeing Angelenos restaurant, and later Jack's Bistro, and the hospital where Terri works.

I would post youtubes but I am at work can cannot get to the site.

FanIn80
11-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Such an awesome show!

Flash
11-25-2008, 02:01 PM
The Infomercial Kings are happy to select in the Pre 80's category, Threes Company.

Great pick Superflyer!

HalifaxDrunk
11-25-2008, 02:02 PM
I loved Threes Company.

Did anyone else notice how Frasier was sort of a smart version of Three's Company. Both shows structurally center around misunderstandings or elaborate lies which multiple characters are forced to "play along" in order to conceal the truth.

It worked for both shows but I couldn't watch Frasier without thinking about Three's Company.

Barnes
11-25-2008, 02:54 PM
I saw 'Janet' at Limericks one night. She was with two young dudes.

Still looks the same.

Dion
11-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Janet was the one i had a crush on.

FanIn80
11-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Janet was the one i had a crush on.

Absolutely!

Prototype
11-25-2008, 04:40 PM
You have a choice between Chrissy and Janet, and you take Janet? I mean, on her own, I could see it. But beside Chrissy, Janet looked normal. Even the character that replaced Chrissy was slightly more attractive than Janet.

Chrissy... hands down. (No pun intended.)

FanIn80
11-25-2008, 04:42 PM
You have a choice between Chrissy and Janet, and you take Janet? I mean, on her own, I could see it. But beside Chrissy, Janet looked normal. Even the character that replaced Chrissy was slightly more attractive than Janet.

Chrissy... hands down. (No pun intended.)

I think it was the inclusion of a brain that made Janet hotter than Chrissy (to me at least). Well that, and I've always had a thing for brunettes. :whistle:

habernac
11-25-2008, 04:44 PM
I think it was the inclusion of a brain that made Janet hotter than Chrissy (to me at least). Well that, and I've always had a thing for brunettes. :whistle:

sign me up for the "give me the non-stupid brunette" crowd.

Maritime Q-Scout
11-25-2008, 04:51 PM
I honestly haven't heard an accent that I didn't love.

Lard tunderin' yous never eard an accent youz didn't like? Yeah b'y! C'mon down 'ere to da Cape an we's be splittin' a Keetz!

getbak
11-25-2008, 05:00 PM
"Let's get busy!"

For my next pick, Frozen TV Dinner is proud to select in the Talk Show category, The Arsenio Hall Show.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/04K9d3ifCkgna/610x.jpg

Airing for a relatively brief (in the world of tv talk shows) 5 years from 1989 to 1994, the Arsenio Hall show revitalized the world of late night talk shows for the "MTV Generation". During its run, the show won 2 Emmys and was nominated for 4 more.

By 1989, Johnny Carson had been hosting the Tonight Show for more than 25 years. Although still the undisputed king of late night, Carson was an old white guy, whose monologues and guest list weren't always on the cutting edge. Johnny had also drastically cut back his schedule, only working a 3 day week and taking frequent week-long (and multi-week breaks), where guest hosts (such as Jay Leno and Garry Shandling) would fill in. This created the potential for a new late night show to emerge and challenge Carson (something very few people had attempted, and no one had done successfully).

Arsenio Hall was the right man at the right time. He had grown up idolizing Carson and wanted to one day follow in his footsteps. In 1989, Paramount Television gave him that opportunity with his own syndicated show that was an instant hit with young and urban audiences.

Arsenio was good friends with such late 80s stars as Eddie Murphy, MC Hammer, and Magic Johnson; who all made appearances on his show.

If you wanted to reach a young and diverse audience in the early 90s, the Arsenio Hall Show was the place to do it. In 1992, when the Governor of Arkansas, Bill Clinton, was early in his Presidential campaign and looking to attract young and minority voters, he appeared on Hall's show wearing sunglasses and playing the saxophone. That appearance did exactly what it was supposed to and helped give Clinton a popularity that got him elected twice.

In 1993, David Letterman and Jay Leno started their famous "Late Night War", and the Arsenio Hall Show was killed in the crossfire, surviving less than a year after Letterman jumped to CBS (partly because the hype of the other shows ate into the show's audience; and partly because many of the stations that had aired the syndicated show were CBS affiliates who dropped or rescheduled the show when The Late Show debuted).

Aresenio interviews Jason...
09yOZsZuxMY

Vanilla Ice...
7klcNEnwshM

Michael Jackson stops by during an Eddie Murphy interview...
tqoRpYQZIYE

The NWA...
rPJjb5JIMEU

The Macho Man...
OQxyD0Q7GtU

GirlySports
11-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Loved The Arsenio Hall show!
He had some crazy guests on that show.
Like every wrestler!

And anything goes on that show. He'd ask about anything and often you'd see the guest get embarrassed!

Superflyer
11-25-2008, 05:40 PM

I think that is why I liked Chrissy, she was a typical blond airhead, I mean it is not like a crush is based on long term relationship material.

Dion
11-25-2008, 09:00 PM
LOL! The Macho man video is great!

Flash
11-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Nice pick, Getbak...I used to love that show, I was a huge Arsenio Hall fan. He still cracks me up when I see him on other talk shows nowadays.

Prototype
11-25-2008, 10:42 PM
How can you follow Spaceman Robert Van Winkle?

You can't... you can just move on...

I was totally going to go off the board, but then I found me a better pick...

In the TALK SHOW category, I gotta take...

http://i2.ytimg.com/u/UGUK3KIj0jf02JRDfd2DXA/watch_header.jpg

Easily the most intellegent talk show on television today... 'nuff said.

aNpg2pfPkcY
SeN2q3bA2xQ
JwG9j-VJ2yk
bgGRSC08lII
vIlii9gAgYg

There's soooooooooooooo much more HERE (http://www.youtube.com/user/TheHour).

I'm risking losing a fave by taking THE HOUR, but there's a good chance it'll stick around till my next pick...

Dion
11-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Thehttp://i34.tinypic.com/291p30n.jpg proudly select from the Action/Adventure Category........

My favouite action tv show. Recently bought the DVD set :cool:

http://i37.tinypic.com/2j5fgxk.jpg

Richard Dean Anderson is best known for his role as MacGyver for seven seasons on ABC. Using science and his wits, rather than violence, MacGyver could solve almost any problem. The action-adventure format addressed social issues as well, and MacGyver became a role model praised by critics, parents, and teachers alike. Shot for the first two years in Los Angeles, the production moved north to Vancouver for the next four years before returning to Los Angeles in its final season. MacGyver continues to enjoy tremendous popularity around the world.

In later seasons the series became increasingly issue-oriented, tackling such subjects as Thornton's blindness, the environment, and teenage runaways. Introducing Mac to the latter subject was his teenage friend Lisa, played by Mayim Bialik on a few occasions. Another infrequently seen but memorable character was MacGyver's nemesis, the evil Murdoc (played by Michael Des Barres). Nikki was MacGyver's brief romantic interest, and Dalton his ne'er-do-well friend.

MacGyver Intro

uxEq7dy3-Ok

Trailer MacGyver The Widowmaker

WxgYRaiuagc&feature=related

Trailer MacGyver Striclty Business

XpLPnfaoDD8&feature=related

MacGyver - Last Scene

0sBiCLaAhBQ&feature=related

Flash
11-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Nice pick Prototype, I have to agree that it's one of the most intelligent talk shows there is.

And Dion...I'd comment on MacGyver, but I've never seen a single episode. :bag:

Dion
11-26-2008, 12:38 AM
Nice pick Prototype, I have to agree that it's one of the most intelligent talk shows there is.

And Dion...I'd comment on MacGyver, but I've never seen a single episode. :bag:

Don't feel bad, the Hour is a show i have yet to watch :bag:

Good thing about this draft is it exposes me to shows i've never watched.

Dion
11-26-2008, 04:38 PM
See if this works or not.

Bump to main page.

getbak
11-26-2008, 04:39 PM
More than 15 hours have passed, so either Drunk or Jagger can pick.

Jagger
11-26-2008, 04:57 PM
I'll go a little later then. I've got my pick just have to write it up.

HalifaxDrunk
11-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Team Jumped the Shark is happy to select in the World category is:

Coupling
http://www.bbcamerica.com/media/125/800_wallpapera.jpg

The show centres on the dating and sexual adventures and mishaps of six friends in their thirties, often depicting the three women and the three men each talking amongst themselves about the same events, but in entirely different terms.

Lesbian Spank Inferno
D0rLBnctW4A

Careful use of the word Naked
D1sN3sTqC8U

Men and Toilets
o8m1Aq9Lda4

Porn Buddies
fNPQavXwUf0

Jagger
11-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Team Jumped the Shark is happy to select in the World category is:

Coupling
http://www.bbcamerica.com/media/125/800_wallpapera.jpg

Brilliant pick! WTG Drunk! Coupling is one of my favourite British comedies. The Jeff character is just downright hilarious.

The American remake, on the other hand, was flat out embarrassingly awful.

getbak
11-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Good pick, Drunk.

14 picks into the World category, and so far nothing from outside the UK. Will it be a shutout?

Jagger
11-26-2008, 08:57 PM
“Where’s the remote?” are thrilled to be able to select in the 7th round the excellent BBC series,

HUSTLE

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/84/Hustle_title_card-640.jpg/250px-Hustle_title_card-640.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Hustle_title_card-640.jpg)

This grifting show will represent our Crime/Law category. It is available to buy on DVD in North America in a 4 season gift pack and and can be seen on BBC Canada. Highly recommended just for its sheer style alone.

Hustle is a British television (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_television) comedy-drama series made by Kudos Film & Television (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos_%28production_company%29) for BBC One (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_One) in the United Kingdom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom).
Created by Tony Jordan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Jordan) (who also wrote many of the scripts) hand in hand with Bharat Nalluri (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bharat_Nalluri) who conceived the original idea, Hustle follows a group of London (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London)-based con artists (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Con_artist) as they attempt to dupe money out of their victims ("marks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_%28victim%29)"). Despite their chosen trade, they adhere to codes such as "bad behaviour breeds bad luck". In particular they adhere to the first rule of the con "you can't cheat an honest man" because an honest man doesn't want something for nothing.
Each episode also amounts to a confidence game played upon the viewers through the use of misdirection and hidden plot details that are revealed at the end of the story. Not all cons depicted are successful, and some episodes focus on the characters dealing with the consequences of their actions. However, even if a con does fail, the characters usually come out on top in some way or other.
In addition to one long con, each episode features a number of short cons played by the major characters on members of the public. The short cons demonstrate the seemingly endless array of tricks professional con men possess and the ease with which short cons can be played.

THEME MUSIC

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lLWRkDglLi0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lLWRkDglLi0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fBWgTXP7gjU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fBWgTXP7gjU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Eastern Girl
11-26-2008, 09:08 PM
^^Is that show still running or are the four seasons available on dvd it?

Also, is that the chick that was on Dexter?

getbak
11-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Also, is that the chick that was on Dexter?
Yes: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1444665/

Jagger
11-26-2008, 09:57 PM
^^Is that show still running or are the four seasons available on dvd it?

It's still running. Series 5 is to be released in 2009 I believe.

Flamesguy_SJ
11-26-2008, 10:33 PM
"If you're going to do it...do it right the first time."

http://media.canada.com/b17a5268-e809-4db2-a84b-06fc4c00d03e/m1x00012_mikeholmes.jpg

With our seventh selection, the Channel Surfers would like to select Holmes on Homes in the Reality (Ongoing) category.

from Wiki:
The show's premise revolves around general contractor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_contractor) Mike Holmes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Holmes) visiting homeowners (initially in the Greater Toronto Area (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Toronto_Area) in the earlier seasons, but also to various locales across Canada and the United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States), starting with the seventh season) who are in need of help, mainly due to unsatisfactory home renovations performed by hired contractors. A typical episode has homeowners describing their experiences with the previous contractor, including what had caused the original contractor to leave the work incomplete or with substandard work (often under Ontario (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario) building codes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Building_code)). Holmes would also go into detail to explain why the work he sees is substandard and needs to be replaced during the repair process. The original contractors are never named on the shows, although an episode of CBC Television (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBC_Television)'s Marketplace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marketplace_%28TV_series%29) has done investigative journalism behind a sixth-season episode and exposed the contractor alleged to have been at fault.

Typically, after beginning the repair work, Holmes and his crew of contractors often find that their small repair project has escalated into a larger one due to surprises that they find and are forced to fix; only on rare occasions have the show's crew not been forced to tear everything down and start over. However, in the end, Holmes presents the homeowners with a completely finished place, often with a few extra surprises. Throughout the rebuilding process, Holmes often comments on the professionalism of the people hired for the job or lets other contractors talk about how to build things correctly - on some occasions Holmes has vented out his frustrations with previous contractors' substandard work in front of the camera.

YouTubes of the actual show are pretty scarce, but I might be able to find some good ones to add in later.

Displaced Flames fan
11-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Vic Mackey and the Strike Team is proud to select in the category of MINISERIES, Alex Haley's ROOTS.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075572/

http://www.teachwithmovies.org/guides/roots-vol-i-DVDcover.jpg

As a young kid, my parents found the subject matter of this epic miniseries important enough to let me watch it, despite the seriousness of it. The series did an excellent job of showing the dark history of slavery and how it impacted real people, not just a historical idea.

It spurred me to read the gigantic book and I did so before my 10th birthday, and that act was probably the single largest act of inquisitiveness of my youth and I think it was important in determining how I viewed my world at the time.

It also exposed the viewer to genealogy and how rewarding family history study can be.

Possibly the most powerful scene of the series

BgGLjNMEVR4

Displaced Flames fan
11-26-2008, 10:36 PM
I'm not going to complain even though Flamesguy__SJ cut in front of me and stole my pick.

Can't believe I didn't get Holmes on Homes.

Damn you SJ.....DAMN YOU!!!!!

Eastern Girl
11-26-2008, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I was wondering what happened there.

Were you really going to make that pick? That's gotta be a first in these drafts.

Dion
11-26-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm not going to complain even though Flamesguy__SJ cut in front of me and stole my pick.

Can't believe I didn't get Holmes on Homes.

Damn you SJ.....DAMN YOU!!!!!

That was going to be my pick in the information category. Didn't think too many hear watched it :(

Roots was also going to be my pick in the mini series.

Displaced Flames fan
11-26-2008, 10:44 PM
Yeah, I was wondering what happened there.

Were you really going to make that pick? That's gotta be a first in these drafts.

No, I was just trying to be hilarious.:D

I do like the show though. Mike is great and really does an excellent job of explaining why something is wrong, how it got that way and what could happen if it isn't fixed. He never ceases to let his annoyance show!

Displaced Flames fan
11-26-2008, 10:45 PM
That was going to be my pick in the information category. Didn't think too many hear watched it :(

Roots was also going to be my pick in the mini series.

Didn't I do that to you a couple of times in the movie draft too? We must have similar tastes.

Eastern Girl
11-26-2008, 10:47 PM
No, I was just trying to be hilarious.:D

Ah, too bad. We could have had some sort of cage match to settle it, ya know, in the interest of being fair.

Dion
11-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Here's a few i had found for my supposed next pick FlamesguySJ ;)

QuietRock Soundproofing on Holmes

ZlAZsYp2M-U&feature=related

Holmes on Homes - Grow House

wvP4keKl3OM&feature=related

Dion
11-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Didn't I do that to you a couple of times in the movie draft too? We must have similar tastes.

I wasn't in the movie draft :whistle:

Displaced Flames fan
11-26-2008, 10:50 PM
I wasn't in the movie draft :whistle:

Hmmmm. Why the hell not, man???!!:D

Flamesguy_SJ
11-26-2008, 10:50 PM
D'oh! Sorry for cutting in line, Dis...no idea what I was thinking. I honestly didn't see your SN in the thread title.

Dion
11-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Hmmmm. Why the hell not, man???!!:D

He who hesitates gets left behind. Should have joined back then when i had the chance :(

Displaced Flames fan
11-26-2008, 10:54 PM
D'oh! Sorry for cutting in line, Dis...no idea what I was thinking. I honestly didn't see your SN in the thread title.

Naw, no problem! I saw it as an opportunity for a little fun. I think it's funny that you posted 1 minute before me, as we were both obviously working on our posts at the same time.

I wasn't going to pick Holmes on Homes but it's a great pick. One of the few home improvement shows I can stomach!

Dion
11-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Doh! Gotta learn to read :bag::bag::bag:

Flash
11-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Nice pick with Roots, DFF, I'm sure lots of us had it penciled in as our Miniseries.

GirlySports
11-26-2008, 11:52 PM
HD: I've been watching clips of Coupling all evening. Hilarious!

Jagger
11-27-2008, 12:14 AM
^^^ Yeah Coupling is such a great show. It was going to be a wildcard pick of mine in the next round or two. Guess not, now!

HalifaxDrunk
11-27-2008, 06:08 AM
HD: I've been watching clips of Coupling all evening. Hilarious!

No prob, it's really funny! I have seasons 1 & 2 on DVD.

^^^ Yeah Coupling is such a great show. It was going to be a wildcard pick of mine in the next round or two. Guess not, now!

I was happy to get it as my world pick. I don't watch many shows from outside US/Can, really surprised it was still available. I had to search a few time to be sure.