PDA

View Full Version : CP Television Show Draft! - EVERYONE'S AK'D!! PICK NOW!! TO REACH 20

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

GirlySports
10-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Welcome to the CP Television Show Draft!

Notes: Thread title will display the next 3 picks so if you see your name it's either your turn or pretty close
Time limit is 10 hours for this draft.

Draft order was determined by this. (http://www.random.org/lists/)

Draft Board (http://geocities.com/cp_tv_draft/)

Workshop Thread (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=64905)

We are in Round 14:

287. HalifaxDrunk
288. Jagger
289. Displaced Flames fan
290. Flamesguy_SJ
291. Sadora
292. MissTeeks
293. liamenator
294. Maritime Q-Scout
295. FanIn80
296. Ro
297. Barnes
298. Flash
299. habernac
300. Bobblehead
301. MattyC
302. JerzeeGirl
303. EasternGirl
304. WindomURL
305. superflyer
306. getbak
307. prottotype
308. Dion

Here are the RULES:

Objective: to draft the team consisting of the best TV shows

Draft straight through to fill the following 20 categories:

Action/Adventure
Comedy (Sitcom)
Comedy (Open)
Pre-1980 (the show started pre-80)
Drama
Canadian
Crime/Law
Cartoon
Fantasy/Sci-Fi
Medical
Talk Show
Mini-series/TV Movie
Reality (elimination)
Reality (ongoing)
Game show
Soap Opera/Serials
Education/Information
World (outside Canada and US)
Wildcard
Wildcard

22 teams and 20 categories.

Trades! you can make trades but the it has to be zero-sum since every team needs 20 shows. For example Team A can trade the 1st and 40th pick to Team B for the 5th and 6th pick. Even after you have selected a shows you can trade. There is no trade deadline however there will be no trades allowed after the very last pick.
Both parties must send the trade details to me.

Make use of PMs and the chatroom to negotiate.

Switching!
At any time you can switch a show from one category to another if it qualifies for it.

--

When you are selecting please state in BOLD letters who you are selecting and in what category.

example: With the 1st overall pick of the draft, GirlySport's In-Box selects ......... in the World category.

And you can use a paragraph to state your case of why you made this selection and convince everyone why this show was great. You've seen how it's been done in the other drafts. We're all here to learn!

--

Ass-kickin'!: When it's your turn you have 15 hours to select. After 15 hours the draft will continue on until you come back and pick. Your name will have brackets around it in the thread title. If your turn is coming up and you are away, please send 3 choices to me and I will select for you.

- If you see a name in the thread title with a * beside it, that means they have submitted their pick to the commish.

That's pretty much it. Any questions you can ask in here or PM me...

HalifaxDrunk
10-31-2008, 12:27 PM
With the 1st overall pick in the TV Draft team Jumped the Shark is happy to select in the Pre-1980 category one the of Greatest shows in television history:

M*A*S*H
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh23/hammer2k8/mash-1.jpg

M*A*S*H was a weekly half-hour situation comedy, sometimes described as “dark comedy” or a "dramedy," because of the dramatic subject material often presented (the term "dramedy," although coined in 1978, was not in common usage until after M*A*S*H had gone off the air). The show was an ensemble piece revolving around key personnel in a United States Army Mobile Army Surgical Hospital (MASH; the asterisks in the name are meaningless) in the Korean War (1950–1953).

The 4077th MASH was just one of several surgical units in Korea. As the show developed, the writing took on more of a moralistic tone. While the show was mostly comedy, there were many episodes of a more serious tone. Stories were both plot and character driven. Most of the characters were draftees, with dramatic tension often occurring between them and "Regular Army" characters, either among the cast or as guest stars.

If you really needed me to give a writeup then you shouldn't be reading this thread. ;)

Theme Song - Suicide is Painless
akfIaeFDfX4&

Too many great quotes - here are a few:

Frank Burns: Why does everyone take an instant dislike to me?
Trapper: It saves time, Frank.

Hawkeye: [Pierce, who was blinded earlier in the episode, calls out] Is there a doctor in the house?
Frank Burns: What is it, Pierce?
Hawkeye: Oh, Frank, I'm glad you're here - go get a doctor.

Frank Burns: Funny thing, war: never have so many suffered so much so so few could be so happy.
Margaret: We're lucky to be two of the few and not the many.
Frank Burns: I know, darling, and I love being both of us.

Charles: Klinger, you are a gentleman and a lady.

[both drunk, under fire, in a foxhole]
Col. Potter: I said fire that weapon.
Hawkeye: All right.
[to the gun]
Hawkeye: You're fired.
[to Potter]
Hawkeye: I did it as gently as I could.
Col. Potter: That was an order, Pierce.
Hawkeye: [Snapping his fingers] Oh waiter, would you take this man's order, please?

PA System: Due To circumstances beyond our control, lunch will be served today.

habernac
10-31-2008, 12:49 PM
best
show
ever

JerzeeGirl
10-31-2008, 01:06 PM
I knew when I saw where I was going to be picking that I wouldn't have a chance at getting MASH - what a fitting/great pick as #1 HD....

FanIn80
10-31-2008, 01:29 PM
Yep. Tough to top that as a #1. Awesomest show ever.

Flash
10-31-2008, 01:51 PM
I must be in the minority of people who didn't like MASH. At all. :bag:

WindomURL
10-31-2008, 02:19 PM
I liked it at first, but like Bono of U2, Alan Alda's act wore thin after awhile.
But the series finale was something else... biggest audience for a TV show ever, IIRC.

Jagger
10-31-2008, 03:14 PM
With the 2nd overall pick Jagger's team yet to be named is proud to select my favourite SITCOM of all time:

FAWLTY TOWERS

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51idYgjj6BL.jpg

This series only lasted two seasons (12 episodes) but that was John Cleese's choice as he wanted to keep the quality at an extremely high level. It doesn't matter how many times I watch this show my sides hurt from laughing so hard.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072500/

Germans:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1k7U-_tJVmw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1k7U-_tJVmw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Classic Scenes:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_0tNAclytdY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_0tNAclytdY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mrs. Richards:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vsm3FObZ1sI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vsm3FObZ1sI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

How to manage your staff:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zQ3cmoyiYaM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zQ3cmoyiYaM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

habernac
10-31-2008, 03:26 PM
the German episode makes me cry I laugh so hard. Great choice, one of the best comedies for certain.

WindomURL
10-31-2008, 03:45 PM
Man that was a great show. Kudos to you, Jagger

sadora
10-31-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm gonna out on a limb here saying that I'm probably the one person on this board who didn't like Mash.

kermitology
10-31-2008, 05:39 PM
"Hallo! I speak English! I learn it from a book!"

Eastern Girl
10-31-2008, 05:42 PM
I'm gonna out on a limb here saying that I'm probably the one person on this board who didn't like Mash.

No, you aren't alone. I gave it a try and watched a couple episodes, but I just couldn't get into it. Got a chuckle out of me here and there, but I wasn't really big on it.

sadora
10-31-2008, 05:47 PM
No, you aren't alone. I gave it a try and watched a couple episodes, but I just couldn't get into it. Got a chuckle out of me here and there, but I wasn't really big on it.

well I'm glad it ain't just me.

Displaced Flames fan
10-31-2008, 07:22 PM
best
show
ever

Agreed. I figured that the only way to get it on my team was to have the randomizer be not so random and pick me to be first again! Dang it. Great pick Hal.

Fawlty Towers is classic British comedy. Absolutely wonderful stuff and anyone who hasn't watched any of it should do it ASAP. Great pick Jagger.

Now I will quit fellating you two and get to my own pick!

Coach
10-31-2008, 07:23 PM
Displaced ypure supposed to be picking the the Movie Thread!

Displaced Flames fan
10-31-2008, 07:49 PM
With the 3rd pick in the Calgarypuck.com TV draft I am proud to select in the category of Crime/Law, The Shield.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286486/

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/originals/the_shield/#Nav/Home

I have to take this here with M*A*S*H* gone because there is no way it lasts until my next pick. There was another option here, but I just can't justify that pick over The Shield and I am pretty sure it will be gone in Round 1.

The Shield had the advantage of being a late night cable series. They could push the violence, sex and language envelope further than most cop shows, and they did. It helped, but it is certainly not the reason I became addicted to the show.

Firstly, it is superbly cast with Michael Chiklis in the lead role of Strike Team leader Detective Vic Mackey, the awesome Walton Goggins as detective Shane Vendrell, Kenny Johnson as Detective Curtis Lemanski and David Rees Snell as Detective Ronnie Gardocki. Add to that the wonderful performances of Jay Karnes and CCH Pounder as Detectives Waggenbach and Wyms and you have a solid cast that delivers in every episode.

This series has no filler episodes. The story begins and moves forward through each and every episode, sometimes in shocking fashion. The dialogue and storylines are superb and, I believe, more realistic than any fictional cop show that's been on TV.

Speaking of realism, the show is shot with very few extras and usually with no public notice. When things happen on the street with the Strike Team it is being filmed with genuine public reactions. When the story calls for extras with speaking parts the producers use people on the street, not actors, as much as possible. All of this contributes to the realistic feel of the show.

I could talk about the show for days, it's that good. I recommend it to everyone, but don't start in the middle or start with this season. Rent the DVD's by season and watch them in as short a timespan as possible. It's the best way to experience the show and get into the story.

Ultimately, this show is about the line between right and wrong and how difficult it is to determine where that line is drawn. Where you draw it at episode 1 and where you draw it during season 7 might surprise you!

One of the best scenes of the series, IMO...from Season 4. NSFW

Hn7sBBCigJA

A good example of filming without a set

k3G7SMWjlWQ

Displaced Flames fan
10-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Displaced ypure supposed to be picking the the Movie Thread!

Oh good grief! I'll head over there now!

Flash
10-31-2008, 08:40 PM

Nope, you're not alone...I posted a few before you saying the exact same thing. I never liked it either.

Displaced Flames fan
10-31-2008, 08:53 PM
One more comment about M*A*S*H*...

To this day, I can't watch the series finale without crying.

liamenator
10-31-2008, 09:03 PM
This draft is going to be interesting... So far, the 3 picks, while all obviously worthy, wouldn't even have been on my radar. Just shows you how truly subjective the medium is, and thus how interesting the draft will be.

I've always wanted to get into The Shield, but now with 6(?) seasons to slog through, it's a daunting task.

Displaced Flames fan
10-31-2008, 09:05 PM
This draft is going to be interesting... So far, the 3 picks, while all obviously worthy, wouldn't even have been on my radar. Just shows you how truly subjective the medium is, and thus how interesting the draft will be.

I've always wanted to get into The Shield, but now with 6(?) seasons to slog through, it's a daunting task.

7 now....but this is the final season.

It would be a project, but well worth it.

I've got similar series I'd like to do that with.

metallicat
10-31-2008, 09:11 PM
Excellent pick with the Shield. Greatest show ever? It's right up there IMO.

Flame Of Liberty
11-01-2008, 03:53 AM
I'm a big fan of MASH as well, one of the few shows where they managed to keep it hilarious for all those seasons, and where they managed to replace an awesome character with a character equally awesome (Charles for Frank for example).

Never heard of Fawlty towers and never watched Shield thought.

HalifaxDrunk
11-01-2008, 06:07 AM
With the 3rd pick in the Calgarypuck.com TV draft I am proud to select in the category of Crime/Law, The Shield.
Boo, I was hoping somehow this could fall until next round. At least I got M*A*S*H.

As said before, it's now 7 seasons. You gotta do it, best show currently on TV.

Jagger
11-01-2008, 06:54 AM
Never heard of Fawlty towers.

Sacrilege! Fawlty Towers is pure genius. I'm not surprised though that some people haven't heard of it, especially over here. Like I said it only ran for 2 seasons and a British season is only typically 6 episodes. I hope you give it a try though as anyone with even a slight funny bone should enjoy the show tremendously.

You might end up getting a bit of a British TV education in this draft, Liberty!

Flash
11-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Sacrilege! Fawlty Towers is pure genius. I'm not surprised though that some people haven't heard of it, especially over here. Like I said it only ran for 2 seasons and a British season is only typically 6 episodes. I hope you give it a try though as anyone with even a slight funny bone should enjoy the show tremendously.

You might end up getting a bit of a British TV education in this draft, Liberty!

I used to watch reruns of it when I lived in England...never heard of it until I went over there though.

GirlySports
11-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Muta has dropped out.

Prottotype and Pagal had expressed interest. Either of you want to take over? :)
First come first serve :)

Prototype
11-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Deal!

GirlySports
11-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Cool! You take the 21st spot now.

Flames_SJ's been AK'd. Must be having more fun than we are this weekend :)

getbak
11-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Woohoo! I've already moved up one spot in the draft!

Superflyer
11-01-2008, 04:38 PM
So is there a way that we can determine which shows can fit into what category. I can already see some complications with some choices, nothing that has been picked yet but with some that I am looking at.

sadora
11-01-2008, 04:46 PM
Alright, so with my first round, 4th overall pick, team Vanderlay Industries is happy to select in the Sci-Fi category...The X-Files.

http://assets.m80im.com/resources/xfiles/%281%293025001_2_2.jpg

In this aliens-among-us mystery, sci-fi writer and surfer Chris Carter melded '60s don't-trust-the-Man paranoia with '90s black-helicopter paranoia. FBI agent Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) was his own biggest x-file, pursuing a conspiracy that involved the alien abduction of his sister. Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) was his rational foil, doubting his outlandish theories even after she experienced a disappearance-and-implantation episode herself. Mulder and Scully also solved standalone paranormal cases, but the the big draw of the show was its baroque mystery—as well as its comic relief and Mulder and Scully's nerdy sexual tension—and the show petered out after Duchovny jumped ship. But for years this conspiracist gem drilled into our reserves of horror and mistrust, and struck black oil.

16Qrhz4t-PU

Bl7ZLEvHukY&feature=related

eDdAF9zlNnw&feature=related

Maritime Q-Scout
11-01-2008, 04:48 PM
So is there a way that we can determine which shows can fit into what category. I can already see some complications with some choices, nothing that has been picked yet but with some that I am looking at.

I'd assume it's like the hottie draft, where you can fit shows into various categories. A show can only be picked once, and the drafter can chose the category, and is able to change the category if he/she so chooses.

I'm doing up my draft list now, and have several shows in various positions. Think of it as versatility. When drafting a Jim Vandermeer he can be either forward or defence. Same idea with the shows they can be either comedy or Canadian.

GirlySports
11-01-2008, 05:06 PM

We'll go with imdb.com

Eastern Girl
11-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Ugh, damn you Sadora for taking the X-Files. Not cool. :(

One of my absolute favourites.

sadora
11-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Ugh, damn you Sadora for taking the X-Files. Not cool. :(

One of my absolute favourites.

:yay:>:):yay:

getbak
11-01-2008, 05:16 PM
Shows can fit into more than one category and it's up to the person who picks it to put it into an appropriate category.

Drama is a pretty broad category and I think pretty much anything picked in that category could also likely fit into at least one other category. You can have crime/legal and medical shows that are also soap/serials.

Of the few that have been picked already, The X-Files could also be in crime/legal; Fawlty Towers could fit into World.

The only categories that I think might need clarification are Game Show vs Reality Elimination.

To me, the difference is that Reality Elimination has a single cast for a season, with one (or more) contestant or team being eliminated at the end of each episode until one winner remains and the season ends. On the other hand, a Game Show has one or more contestant competing in a "game" where a single winner is declared at the end of the game (which usually lasts only one episode, or may start part way through one episode, ending during the next). At the end of a game, the winner is declared, and depending on the style of game, may be invited back to keep playing.

Basically, if there are many contestants to start the season, and one champion at the end of the season, it's Reality Elimination. If there are multiple contestants introduced throughout the season and multiple winners by the end of the season, it's a Game Show.

Meanwhile, Reality Ongoing doesn't have any competition involved. If a participant is given something at the end of an episode, it doesn't require them to have "won" anything.

Eastern Girl
11-01-2008, 05:18 PM

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned."

You've made a powerful enemy today.

:ph34r:

(The ninja emoticon seemed fitting for this post, I thought)

Flamesguy_SJ
11-01-2008, 05:36 PM
"In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups: the police, who investigate crime, and the district attorneys, who prosecute the offenders.

These are their stories."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2d/Lawandorder01.jpg

With the 4th overall selection in the CP TV Show Draft, The Channel Surfers select, in the Crime/Law category, Law & Order.

Sorry for taking so long; this thread didn't even exist before I left last night. Amazing what you can miss in 24 hours!

getbak
11-01-2008, 05:43 PM
We'll go with imdb.com
I don't know if we can do that.

They don't appear to classify any shows as Soap Operas (I checked some obvious daytime and prime time soaps and none had Soap as their genre).

Legal and medical also seem to not be IMDB genres.

Also, many reality elimination shows are also listed as game shows, so I don't know if we want to clarify that or not.

Personally, I don't think that any of the categories are confusing to the point of any argument, like there was with Titanic fitting into Non-Fiction in the movie draft.

I think if you can justify a pick into a category (and most will be pretty obvious), you should be able to make the pick, knowing that the pick can be challenged and overturned if need be. I doubt anyone will try to push the limits too far (and if they do, I trust the commish to make the call). For example, M*A*S*H would fit into medical, but even though Scully was a doctor, I don't think you could say The X-Files would fit into medical.

Barnes
11-01-2008, 06:24 PM
Just so I have this straight, a show can fit in multiple categories but can only be taken once, right?

So Fawlty Towers can't be chosen for World since it's already been picked.

getbak
11-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Just so I have this straight, a show can fit in multiple categories but can only be taken once, right?

So Fawlty Towers can't be chosen for World since it's already been picked.
Exactly.

However, later in the draft, if he wanted to, Jagger could move it to World and pick another show in the Sitcom category.

MissTeeks
11-01-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm on my way out to a halloween party so here's my pick really quickly and I will add more to it tomorrow. In the SciFi/Fantasy category, Team MissTeeks selects her favorite series of all time, Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I'm probably taking this too high but it's always been my favorite show and I really didn't want to miss out on it. I will add some clips and such tomorrow morning.

Displaced Flames fan
11-01-2008, 07:26 PM

Nice pick.

I'm guessing I've seen maybe 20% of the episodes. This is one of those series I'd like to watch from start to finish.

Displaced Flames fan
11-01-2008, 07:29 PM
I know I said I was done talking about M*A*S*H* but I wanted to add that it is one show that while predominantly comedic was just as good when it delved into the dramatic. It was very, very good when it was serious too.

Eastern Girl
11-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Hmmm. I was never a huge fan of Buffy, but I am really liking David Boreanez right now, so I may have to give that show another chance.

GirlySports
11-01-2008, 10:17 PM
I don't know if we can do that.

They don't appear to classify any shows as Soap Operas (I checked some obvious daytime and prime time soaps and none had Soap as their genre).

Legal and medical also seem to not be IMDB genres.

Also, many reality elimination shows are also listed as game shows, so I don't know if we want to clarify that or not.

Personally, I don't think that any of the categories are confusing to the point of any argument, like there was with Titanic fitting into Non-Fiction in the movie draft.

I think if you can justify a pick into a category (and most will be pretty obvious), you should be able to make the pick, knowing that the pick can be challenged and overturned if need be. I doubt anyone will try to push the limits too far (and if they do, I trust the commish to make the call). For example, M*A*S*H would fit into medical, but even though Scully was a doctor, I don't think you could say The X-Files would fit into medical.

We'll try the best we can. I'm sure there will be a few issues.

I'm on my way out to a halloween party so here's my pick really quickly and I will add more to it tomorrow. In the SciFi/Fantasy category, Team MissTeeks selects her favorite series of all time, Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I'm probably taking this too high but it's always been my favorite show and I really didn't want to miss out on it. I will add some clips and such tomorrow morning.

Team MissTeeks? Aww come on :)

and here's a picture.

http://www.philjohn.com/img/shows/buffy_angel1.jpg

Mmmmmm..

Prototype
11-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Cool! You take the 21st spot now.

Glad to be in, but why aren't I taking his spot in the draft?

liamenator
11-02-2008, 09:49 AM
With our first round pick, Team Emerald City is proud to select, in the category of Crime/Law, the show that changed everything... How could I not take it? The Sopranos

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/SCR/1245%7EThe-Sopranos-Season-6-Posters.jpg

As its tagline suggests, The Sopranos not only redefined the idea of the gangster genre in American culture, it redefined what was possible in the medium of television itself. Such intense artistic license, character development and abstraction had rarely been seen before on the small screen, and the fact that it was met with such commercial success (on top of the obvious critical successes) had to have been seen as a bit of a surprise.

The Sopranos did what only the greatest cultural artifacts can do: it became an institution in and of itself. The postmodern gangster series offered up weekly critiques of contemporary life and events in ways so original, viewers could simply not get enough. We have David Chase and Tony Soprano to thank for opening the floodgates for it and the other US cable networks to continue to compete in the episodic format. They created an artistically brilliant show that was able to serve as THE template for what a television show could be. The fruits of their labours speak for themselves: Six Feet Under, The Shield, Deadwood, Rome, The Wire, Weeds, Mad Men, Entourage, Rescue Me and on and on and on...

It is difficult to imagine another show coming along anytime soon the scope and size of The Sopranos: both in terms of quality and in terms of cultural footprint.

NUT07eZoXPw

Flash
11-02-2008, 09:53 AM
Nice pick...knew that one would be gone before my first choice!

Maritime Q-Scout
11-02-2008, 11:23 AM
First of all I would like to thank GirlySports for administering the draft and CalgaryPuck Off-Topic Board for the lovely venue this evening. I’d also like to congratulate Halifax-Drunk on his Hottie Draft victory, well done sir. Now down to business, with our first selection in the 2008 Calgary Puck Television Draft, we here at the Patterson Corporation are please to select for our lineup on our new channel MQS-TV, one of the greatest television shows of all time. Staring the legendary Carroll O’Connor, the lovely Jean Stapleton, and launching the careers of Sally Struthers, and Rob Reiner; Running in series from 1971 through 1979, and winning 8 Golden Globes (with 21 nominations) and 22 Emmy’s (with 34 nominations) along the way; from the Pre-1980’s category, we humbly select from the Columbia Broadcasting Agency, All in the Family.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/52/All_in_the_family.jpg

znrjbo9QRLk

Displaced Flames fan
11-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Solid choice Q.

Also spawned a spin-off we might see taken later in the draft.

Archie Bunker is one of the greatest characters in TV history.

Maritime Q-Scout
11-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Solid choice Q.

Thanks, being born in the 80's it makes it difficult for me to really choose properly for television shows prior to 1980. Ergo, I wanted to get my pick in before it was gone.

GirlySports
11-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Glad to be in, but why aren't I taking his spot in the draft?

Cause it's still early? Once the first round ends we're not replacing teams anymore, we're just throwing them out.

Got Miikka?
11-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Geez, the more I think about it the more I realize I could have had a blast playing in this draft - I didn't because I thought, What the hell do I know about a lot of TV? but about 5 different awesome shows just popped into my head and heck, a lot of ones I figured would have been long since been taken already are still out there (I know it's early but that is kind of the point). I hope someone out there has the same taste as me and builds a roster that is similar to the one I would make. So far the team with Fawlty Towers is the closest - that is a superlative choice. :)

Superflyer
11-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Damn I wish we were doing a snake draft, being 2nd last sucks, but on the bright side I have at least 5 picks in each category already, but waiting this long again to make a pick is going to suck. Plus by the time that it gets back to me for the second time all the best shows will be gone.

Flash
11-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Great pick, Q...All in the Family was also my first choice for pre 80's. Damn the randomizer for placing me 12th!!

Jagger
11-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Damn I wish we were doing a snake draft, being 2nd last sucks, but on the bright side I have at least 5 picks in each category already, but waiting this long again to make a pick is going to suck. Plus by the time that it gets back to me for the second time all the best shows will be gone.

Heh, so you just have to think like the Red Wings do. They always draft late and somehow manage to draft well!

Superflyer
11-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Yea but in the draft I would rather be the Lightning then the wings, oh well I am sure I can find a few Zetterbergs in here.

FanIn80
11-02-2008, 09:30 PM
With my first pick in this year's TV draft... The Upper Trash would like to select, in the category of Medical, the greatest show in the history of mankind...

House!

6ZO199jt_hg

4yX57LvxDko

Coach
11-02-2008, 09:31 PM
God damn you FanIn80! Best show on television right now IMO. Hopefully we get a few more seasons out of it. Id like to see it go the decade

EDIT: Girly your draft board link goes to the movie draft

FanIn80
11-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Muwahaha! :D

..and I agree. I hope it's on for a very long time still! Easily my favourite show ever.

Superflyer
11-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Damn another good show gone....

Barnes
11-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Solid choice Q.

Actually 2 spin offs.

Displaced Flames fan
11-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Actually 2 spin offs.
:huh:

No idea what the second one was....or maybe I do. Hmmm.

Barnes
11-02-2008, 10:37 PM
I've created a Google spreadsheet to keep the picks straight.

I've opened it up so that anyone can edit or view so help yourselves.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pqKZjNM4G_DZF6bPsaLDtJg

Flash
11-02-2008, 10:39 PM

Thanks for that...I've been keeping one open on my desktop, now I don't have to. :)

I'm anxious for the next pick to be made, because with you online I might be able to make my first pick tonight.

Barnes
11-02-2008, 10:39 PM

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/dvd/sony/maude/Maude2lrg._V12312312_.jpg
This is NOT my pick. :D

Displaced Flames fan
11-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Ah.....I was right!

Vaguely remembered...so vague I wasn't sure if maybe I had manufactured the connection!

Thanks Barnes!

Flash
11-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Actually 2 spin offs.

There are actually two other spinoffs aside from the obvious two...however I doubt we'll be seeing either of them in the draft!

getbak
11-02-2008, 10:54 PM

All in the Family actually had 4 direct spinoffs (2 of which had spinoffs of their own), plus one that wasn't really a spinoff so much as it was a "re-imagining" set in the Bunker's house years after Archie had moved on (it was canceled after 5 episodes, so I don't anticipate it being chosen).

sadora
11-02-2008, 11:05 PM

great idea. thanks. Now we just have to add the categories.

GirlySports
11-02-2008, 11:49 PM
I'll try and get the draft board ready tomorrow night. This weekend was so busy.

GirlySports
11-02-2008, 11:53 PM
With the 10th overall pick in the draft, Ro selects Six Feet Under in the Drama category.

http://tv-mafia.com/series_images/Six%20Feet%20Under.jpg

Ro will have to provide a more detailed description when he gets back.

Opening Theme:
KYAe0qwg9Yw

Barnes
11-03-2008, 12:28 AM
With the 11th overall pick, Team Barnes selects Seinfeld in the Comedy (sitcom) Category.

http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows/seinfeld/about/images/seinfeld_show_desc_cast.jpg

Will post more tomorrow... want to go to bed but keep things rolling.

Coach
11-03-2008, 01:01 AM
:fist:Baaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrnnnnnnnnnneeessss

VANFLAMESFAN
11-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Love the Six Feet Under pick, never watched it until recently and went thru all five seasons in 3 weeks. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME. Loved the ending. Brilliant!!

Not sure who's watched Alan Ball's new show, but True Blood is on between Entourage and Dexter on Sunday and it sounds silly on the surface, but it's actually pretty damn good. Very funny stuff and an interesting premise.

Flash
11-03-2008, 09:00 AM
With the 12th overall pick, Team Sequoia is proud to select, in the Action/Adventure category, LOST.

The basics from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_(TV_series)

The rest from Lostpedia: http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Wh65z-R2UFU

"After Oceanic Air flight 815 tore apart in mid-air and crashed on a Pacific island, its survivors were forced to find inner strength they never knew they had in order to survive. But they discovered that the island holds many secrets, including the intense howls of a mysterious creature stalking the jungle, as well as a polar bear, a marooned and possibly crazy French woman, a mystical boar, a mysterious group known only as "The Others," a ship called The Black Rock and... a hatch."

Currently one of my favourite shows on TV, so I'm pretty happy I've been able to select it.

iggypop
11-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Awesome draft, I wish I was in this one. But is it really not a snake style system?
IMO thats pretty unfair, as HD is going to have much better odds than proto of making a good team.
But hey Girly you have a lot of experience running these things, so I should just trust the expert.

HalifaxDrunk
11-03-2008, 09:20 AM
I was under the impression it is like the other drafts - snake. If not I'll take it but I think it is.

Bobblehead
11-03-2008, 09:24 AM

I like it. Good job.

GirlySports
11-03-2008, 09:39 AM
Awesome draft, I wish I was in this one. But is it really not a snake style system?
IMO thats pretty unfair, as HD is going to have much better odds than proto of making a good team.
But hey Girly you have a lot of experience running these things, so I should just trust the expert.

It's been discussed. People said the snake system causes too much delay.
For example if you were HD, you make 1 pick and then have to wait for 40 picks, then pick 2 picks then wait for another 40 picks.

I think that the other drafts have died due to lack of interest from the head and tailend.

So for this draft we're just going to go straight through.
It's unfair but it's not a competition either. It's just a fun, learning exercise.

habernac
11-03-2008, 09:41 AM
IMO a snake is much better. Anyway....

FanIn80
11-03-2008, 09:47 AM
The way it is now, everyone picks 20 picks from their last pick. With the other drafts (snake style), some people were finding themselves going 2-3 weeks in between picks, which just slowed down interest and delayed things for everyone else.

This way (straight through), everyone picks at the same interval and it (theoretically) should flow a lot smoother.

(Are there even any sports drafts that go snake style? I know the NHL doesn't.)

habernac
11-03-2008, 09:59 AM
for our first pick, under the category of mini series, Team is proud to select the fantastic 10 part Band of Brothers.

http://observin.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/195949band-of-brothers-posters.jpg

Wow, where to start? I don't think I've enjoyed a television experience more than this one. Fantastic cast, great storyline. I loved the inclusion of the real men the story was based upon. By the end, you felt like you'd experienced the whole thing with them.

Anyone who doesn't think much of David Schwimmer's acting abilities needs to see this. Frank John Hughes as Wild Bill Guarnere might have been my favourite character. Damain Lewis and Ron Livingstone.....so many others.

If you have not seen this, go buy it immediately.

here's the wiki rundown:

Band of Brothers is a ten-part television (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television) World War II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II) mini-series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-series) based on the book of the same title written by historian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historian) and biographer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biographer) Stephen Ambrose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Ambrose). It was co-produced by Steven Spielberg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Spielberg) and Tom Hanks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Hanks) after their successful collaboration on the Academy Award (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award) winning World War II film, Saving Private Ryan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saving_Private_Ryan) (1998).[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_of_Brothers#cite_note-BBCDrama-3) The mini-series first aired in 2001 on HBO (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Box_Office) and still runs frequently on various TV networks around the world.[5] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_of_Brothers#cite_note-TVGuide-4)[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_of_Brothers#cite_note-5)
The mini-series centers on the experiences of E Company ("Easy Company (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_Company_(Band_of_Brothers))") of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/506th_Parachute_Infantry_Regiment), United States Army (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army) 101st Airborne Division (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/101st_Airborne_Division) from Easy's basic training at Toccoa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toccoa), Georgia, through the American airborne landings in Normandy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_airborne_landings_in_Normandy), Operation Market Garden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Market_Garden), the Battle of Bastogne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bastogne) and on to the end of the war.[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_of_Brothers#cite_note-BBCDrama-3)
The events portrayed in the mini-series are based on Ambrose's research and recorded interviews with Easy Company veterans. A lot of literary license (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artistic_licence) has been taken with the episodes, and other reference books will highlight the differences between recorded history and the film version.[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_of_Brothers#cite_note-6) All of the characters portrayed in the mini-series are based on actual members of Easy Company; some of them can be seen in prerecorded interviews as a prelude to each episode (their identities, however, are not revealed until the close of the finale).
A new 10-part mini-series from the creators of Band of Brothers (Steven Spielberg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Spielberg), Tom Hanks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Hanks), Gary Goetzman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Goetzman)), called The Pacific (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pacific_(TV_series)), is in development. The new mini-series will focus on the Pacific Theater of Operations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Theater_of_Operations) and the United States Marine Corps (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps). The project is due out in 2009, although this is subject to change.[8] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_of_Brothers#cite_note-7)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_of_Brothers

Bobblehead
11-03-2008, 10:01 AM
(Are there even any sports drafts that go snake style? I know the NHL doesn't.)

I don't think so, but then again, they aren't drafting teams from scratch.

Most fantasy pools draft snake style. There are some that snake the first 2 rounds then go regular the rest of the way (i.e. only round 2 is inverted)

getbak
11-03-2008, 10:03 AM

I was under the impression it is like the other drafts - snake. If not I'll take it but I think it is.
No snake this time. It was requested by a few of the participants in the workshop thread, and not opposed by anyone.

I don't see how it gives anyone any real advantage. It's not like a hockey pool where the 22nd player chosen is almost always going to have better stats than the 42nd player chosen.

This sort of draft has no stats. It's all about building the best overall team in whichever way you choose to do it. Some will choose to go after the best possible choice at the moment, which could leave them some weak choices to fill out categories later. Others will choose to fill out difficult categories early, thinking that they'd rather have the 21st best sitcom and the best game show than the other way around.

I say this as one of the people who would have the most to gain by going with the snake style. Personally, I don't mind at all. Even choosing 20th, I'll be able to make a first pick in a category, if I so choose. Over the course of the draft, everyone will make one of the first five picks in a few of the categories; everyone will make one of the last five picks in a few of the categories; and everyone will make some middle-of-the-road picks in the rest of the categories.

Looking at the movie draft, I don't think my team would be significantly different had it been a straight draft rather than a snake.

Bobblehead
11-03-2008, 10:11 AM
In the Pre-1980 category, team "Watching Through the Static" picks WKRP in Cincinatti

This show only ran 4 seasons, and was a victim of being bounced around the schedule. But once in syndication it really found its legs and from the Phone Cops, to, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." this series only gets better and better.

http://www.toybox.ca/~suzannes/tvquotes/wkrp/index.html

If only they could release it to DVD with the original soundtrack.*sigh*

getbak
11-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Damn you, Bobblehead!!!

(Although, I wasn't planning on picking it this round, and didn't really think it would last to the point where I would pick it)

"Give it to me straight, Doctor, I can take it."

Flash
11-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Silly of me to think WKRP would be available until my next pick. Nice pick, Bobblehead.

GirlySports
11-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Dion had expressed interest in the draft. Then backed out cause he wasn't sure he had time, then thought he might have time.

And now he would like to be in.

And since he "not a casual user" and everyone's favorite.

We'll slot him in 22nd.

--

That's IT! :)

Dion
11-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks GS!

Jagger
11-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Since it was me that first broached the 'straight' draft concept I'll take some responsibility for it. I would have been fine picking last quite honestly, I just luckily ended up 2nd. Does it make a huge difference anyway? I don't think so. Honestly, how many of you would have taken 'Fawlty Towers' with your first pick? I'm willing to bet that nobody would have. Everyone drafts differently and it's not a competition in any case. It's about have fun and perhaps learning about some shows you might not have seen before. I've never seen "The Shield" but will definitely give it a go now.

I didn't enjoy waiting weeks to pick in the movie draft and then getting two quick choices, just because I was 3rd to pick. Spaced out more evenly is much better. My movie team would not look any different probably in any case, snake or no snake. I've chosen some movies that likely weren't on other teams radars in the first place.

Bottom line, this is just about fun. As far as winners go, I think we all are since this is such a great concept. Thanks Girly once again for starting these awesome threads.

Coach
11-03-2008, 12:24 PM
With our first round pick, team MattyC (better name hopefully coming) is happy to select in the Sitcom (Comedy) category Friends

One of the best shows of our time, since its series finale there has yet to be a sitcom that even holds a candle to this and other sitcoms of the 90's.

FanIn80
11-03-2008, 01:09 PM
With our first round pick, team MattyC (better name hopefully coming) is happy to select in the Sitcom (Comedy) category Friends

One of the best shows of our time, since its series finale there has yet to be a sitcom that even holds a candle to this and other sitcoms of the 90's.

Damn you! I should have known there was no way this was making it's way out of the first round, though.

WindomURL
11-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Sorry to say, but I'm not really a fan of Friends, but I have a team name suggestion for you, Matty.
Team Whuppah! :D

Eastern Girl
11-03-2008, 01:12 PM
I always loved Joeys reaction to the Whuppah thing.

"You can't DO ANYTHING!"

Mrs. Chanandaler Bong was my favourite though!

Coach
11-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Lol thats pretty good. Ya people have a love/hate relationship with Friends. But you have to admit that it is one of the best shows ever. Its like I absolutly hate rap music, but I can admit when someone is good at it and respect it. I was goona wait to see if it dropped til next round and draft another choice but hopefully that will drop. Kinda choked were not doing the snake style

JerzeeGirl
11-03-2008, 01:26 PM
No time while I'm at work to be flowery about this but Team TV Guide would like to call to the podium for our 1st round pick, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart in the Talk Show category.

(I'll move it later if there is outrage...)

While very proud of this pick, at this time I'd also like to pass along a good-natured "&#&@ you!" to all my fellow competitors who took pretty much all of my other top picks! (But I do say it with love...LOL!)

Eastern Girl
11-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Team Idiot Box would like to select as their first round pick, in the Comedy (Open) category, Arrested Development.

One of favourites television shows, cancelled all too soon. My theory is that there was too much awesome for some to handle.

WindomURL
11-03-2008, 01:39 PM
Damn, I knew you were gonna make that pick!
Oh well, The Don Lapre Appreciation Society picks in the 18th position of the first round in the Comedy (Open) category,
Saturday Night Live (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072562/)

I'm a big nerd for this show, going back to the very beginning in 1975.
I'll post more later. Let's keep moving...

HalifaxDrunk
11-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Team Idiot Box would like to select as their first round pick, in the Comedy (Open) category, Arrested Development.

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I contemplated this as the 1st pick overall instead of M*A*S*H but just couldn't pass on the 4077.

I love AD.

IMDB now has a page dedicated to the movie. LINK (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0901469/)

(Sept 30th 2008) Michael Cera doesn't think there will be a movie. LINK (http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Michael-Cera-Says-No-Arrested-Development-Movie-10363.html)

Eastern Girl
11-03-2008, 01:41 PM
I was going to pick something else, but knew that AD would be gone before it rolled around to me again. I was actually surprised someone didn't pick it before me!

JerzeeGirl
11-03-2008, 01:45 PM
I was going to pick something else, but knew that AD would be gone before it rolled around to me again. I was actually surprised someone didn't pick it before me!

You almost were disappointed EG - it was a very close choice for me but Jon Stewart won out.....good pick tho - that show definitely had some awesome to spare, it was so good!

Barnes
11-03-2008, 02:38 PM
I created a new sheet that lists all the shows taken so far.

Bobblehead
11-03-2008, 02:39 PM
No time while I'm at work to be flowery about this but Team TV Guide would like to call to the podium for our 1st round pick, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart in the Talk Show category.

(I'll move it later if there is outrage...)

While very proud of this pick, at this time I'd also like to pass along a good-natured "&#&@ you!" to all my fellow competitors who took pretty much all of my other top picks! (But I do say it with love...LOL!)

I was wondering if that would fit into the Comedy(Open) category, but I was going to pick it and then fight for the category later.

Prototype
11-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Will I ever be surprised if my pick lasts 2 more people...

FanIn80
11-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Oh man, not AD too!

Superflyer
11-03-2008, 03:35 PM
For the first pick of the Informercial Kings, we are proud to select in the category of Crime\Law, CSI.

This is easily the best crime show on TV, and has been ground breaking in it's approach to solving crimes, many shows have tried to copy CSI but none have succeded. CSI is so good that it has two successful spin-offs that I am sure will be picked later in the draft.

http://blogosfere1.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/csi.jpg

In the city of Las Vegas, Nevada, its reputation for providing instant success for those willing to try their luck draws in the hopeful and the naive. This constant influx of visitors also provides ripe targets for criminals of all varieties, confident they will never be caught. Unfortunately for them, most are proven wrong by the Las Vegas Police Department's night shift Crime Scene Investigations unit led by Gill Grissom. With almost obsessive dedication towards his quest for the facts, he and his elite team of investigators work various perplexing cases using scientific skills and equipment that are capable of finding valuable clues from the most seemingly unlikely sources. In a city of empty dreams and false fronts, Gill Grissom leads the quest for the one thing that can cut through the lies to the truth and justice, the evidence.

3NzgPNpQkno

Grave Danger
B6LOPt-2PA0

sadora
11-03-2008, 03:57 PM
For the first pick of the Informercial Kings, we are proud to select in the category of Crime\Law, CSI.

This is easily the best crime show on TV, and has been ground breaking in it's approach to solving crimes, many shows have tried to copy CSI but none have succeded. CSI is so good that it has two successful spin-offs that I am sure will be picked later in the draft.

http://blogosfere1.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/csi.jpg

In the city of Las Vegas, Nevada, its reputation for providing instant success for those willing to try their luck draws in the hopeful and the naive. This constant influx of visitors also provides ripe targets for criminals of all varieties, confident they will never be caught. Unfortunately for them, most are proven wrong by the Las Vegas Police Department's night shift Crime Scene Investigations unit led by Gill Grissom. With almost obsessive dedication towards his quest for the facts, he and his elite team of investigators work various perplexing cases using scientific skills and equipment that are capable of finding valuable clues from the most seemingly unlikely sources. In a city of empty dreams and false fronts, Gill Grissom leads the quest for the one thing that can cut through the lies to the truth and justice, the evidence.

:grrr::grrr::censored::censored::grrr::grrr:

in all seriousness, great pick. I knew this would not be around next round.

Prototype
11-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Can I get clearification before I make my pick? Are we Snakin' or not?

sadora
11-03-2008, 04:02 PM

Not.

Flash
11-03-2008, 04:02 PM

Not a snake draft this time around.

Jagger
11-03-2008, 04:24 PM
I also thought about taking AD with pick #2 but had to go with my personal favourite as I will likely do throughout this draft. Arrested Development is one of my all time favourites too though. What a fantastic show it was.

GirlySports
11-03-2008, 04:26 PM

We're just shakin' not snakin'.

---

Yeah I know... *GROAN*

Flash
11-03-2008, 04:30 PM
I also thought about taking AD with pick #2 but had to go with my personal favourite as I will likely do throughout this draft. Arrested Development is one of my all time favourites too though. What a fantastic show it was.

I think I'll be doing the same...this is the first draft I've participated in, but I don't think there are any "winners", are there? I'm pretty sure I'll end up picking shows that I like over what's considered most popular.

Eastern Girl
11-03-2008, 04:34 PM
^^ That's what I am doing in the film draft, that's what I am doing in this one, too. I love AD, I love X-Files, but it was taken already (shake fist angrily at Sadora), but there's still quite a few favourites out there to be had, but Lord help the person that picks my favourite all time show!

GirlySports
11-03-2008, 04:34 PM
I think I'll be doing the same...this is the first draft I've participated in, but I don't think there are any "winners", are there? I'm pretty sure I'll end up picking shows that I like over what's considered most popular.

There are no winners or you're all winners. There will be no voting.
HD won the hottie draft and won't let any other drafts be judged :D

Bobblehead
11-03-2008, 04:37 PM
^^ That's what I am doing in the film draft, that's what I am doing in this one, too. I love AD, I love X-Files, but it was taken already (shake fist angrily at Sadora), but there's still quite a few favourites out there to be had, but Lord help the person that picks my favourite all time show!

You've already had a pick and you didn't take your all-time favourite?
Why risk it?

Eastern Girl
11-03-2008, 04:39 PM
^^I'm just kidding around. But the pick I am referring to, I am banking that it won't be picked and I just really wanted AD. If it gets picked, it does.

Flash
11-03-2008, 04:43 PM
I wish I had gotten in on the Movie draft, I would have had fun picking my favourite movies. But oh well, picking my favourite TV shows will be fun too. A couple that I would have liked had already been taken before I was able to make my first pick...I'm sure with 22 of us drafting we're bound to have some similar tastes in TV.

Displaced Flames fan
11-03-2008, 04:44 PM
I have never seen Arrested Development, and that's crazy because my wife loves Jason Bateman more than she loves me. Will be watching it sometime on DVD for sure.

Band of Brothers...embarrassed that I haven't watched this yet.

WKRP...genius. Phone Cops was my favorite episode I think.

Hate Friends. Hate it. I think there are half a dozen shows since it's finale that are better. I may be the only one. I also don't like a show I can't believe hasn't been picked yet given it's popularity here, so I may have strange tastes.

CSI...the Vegas show works. The other two are goofy but entertaining. Nice pick.

SNL....30 years. Billions of dollars in movies have been spawned from it. Some of my all time favortie comedic moments are from SNL. I would, some day, like to own all the seasons on DVD even though some of them are very bad.

Great stuff all!

Barnes
11-03-2008, 04:51 PM
There are no winners or you're all winners. There will be no voting.

No voting? What's the point?

GirlySports
11-03-2008, 04:53 PM
No voting? What's the point?

Just for fun.

You know there's a curse that whoever says this always finishes last if there is voting at the end (which there may still be). :)

Problem is there are usually no judges at the end.
There were none for the music draft.

Barnes
11-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Well then, I am going to judge all of it myself and so far, I think I am doing pretty awesome.

Everyone else needs to pick it up.

Coach
11-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Hate Friends. Hate it. I think there are half a dozen shows since it's finale that are better. I may be the only one. I also don't like a show I can't believe hasn't been picked yet given it's popularity here, so I may have strange tastes.

I think I know what show youre talking about, and I was going to wait but now that Ive realized it's not a snake draft I think it might be gone before my next pick. But what I actually said was that there hasn't been a sitcom better (and by better i mean more well-recieved and popular) since Seinfeld, Friends, and one other sitcom will remain nameless as it hasn't been picked yet. The sitcom phase I think is over and we're now more into the dramas. Friends certainly isn't my favorite show, but I like to watch it when its on. I just thought it had to be picked. 10 years is a damn good run.

Jagger
11-03-2008, 05:45 PM
I don't mind Friends at all. It was a fun diversion at times. It's simply entertainment that you don't have to think about too much. It wasn't challenging but not all shows have to be.

WindomURL
11-03-2008, 05:53 PM
getbak is picking!
</stalker>

getbak
11-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Wow, the draft sure picked up steam today. I didn't think I'd be picking for another day or two. I was hoping Arrested Development would still be available, but since it's not, I'm going to fill one of the categories in which I don't think I could name 22 eligible shows...Hell, I'd be hard pressed to name 3 that I can even stand...

"5 Continents...10 Countries...And More than 59 Thousand Miles!"

With the 20th overall pick, in the Reality (Elimination) category, team Frozen TV Dinner selects The Amazing Race.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fc/Amazingracelogo.jpg

Hosted by New Zealand native, Phil Keoghan, The Amazing Race is currently airing its 13th race around the world between teams of 2 (and one time, horribly, teams of 4) players with some sort of pre-existing relationship.

So far, the Emmys have presented the award for "Outstanding Reality-Competition Program" six times. Each time, it has been won by the Amazing Race.

Unlike most other "Reality" shows, there are no judges and there is no voting for a winner. The rules are simple: follow the clues, perform the tasks, and if your team is the last to arrive at the end of a leg, pray it's a non-elimination leg, otherwise you will be eliminated from the race.

When all is said and done, one team will cross the Finish Line first and win $1 million.

There are teams you love and teams you hate...and there is Lena and Kristy from season 6 :wub: (who had the most heart-breaking elimination ever)...

http://www.realitytvworld.com/images/dbpeople/173.jpg

Here's the intro from season 1:

IA-k0FTuRuY

Superflyer
11-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Damn that is my favorite reality (elimination) show. I would do ANYTHING to be on this show.

HalifaxDrunk
11-03-2008, 08:05 PM

I am the Über Winner, once I established my dominance all of CP decided not to judge these anymore.

had to go with my personal favourite as I will likely do throughout this draft.

Me too, although M*A*S*H is prob on most TV lists as #1, it is one of my all-time favorite shows. I can't count how many times I've watched reruns. Having the first 4 seasons on DVD help too. I'm sure I will have shows that some people won't agree with, just favs of mine.

With the 20th overall pick, in the Reality (Elimination) category, team Frozen TV Dinner selects The Amazing Race.

Great pick for the category, best reality show IMO.

Prototype
11-03-2008, 08:35 PM
http://www.carseywerner.com/images/iris_links_cosby.jpg
In the COMEDY (Sitcom) category, Team "57 Channels, Nothing On" (temp name) selects, THE COSBY SHOW.

Openings (except the tuxedo)
qduqhCnXtDs
3zlF4h-HMdw
hU_ze8N1sVM

Bloopers
srRec16PfpA

The Final Moments
g0KKXmSoWus

It doesn't get any more iconic that that...

Flash
11-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Both awesome picks, getbak & Proto...I used to watch the Amazing Race religiously, but have lost interest since Boston Rob and Amber were a team (however many seasons ago that was!). And as for the Cosby Show...can't say enough good things about that show, definately one of my all time favourites.

Dion
11-03-2008, 10:45 PM
In the comedy sitcom category The Couch Potatoes selects "Married With Children"

Peg and Al have been together, for better or worse, for more than two decades. How they survive their relationship is the basis for "Married...With Children." The sitcom represents a distinct departure from the saccharine-sweet television families viewers have known since the days of "Father Knows Best." With unflinching honesty, "Married... With Children" paints a painfully funny picture of a not-so-typical middle-class American family.

http://i35.tinypic.com/1zpmglh.jpg

Married with Children opening

KAKaJE4gjYg

Best of Bundy part 1

TeOeVXqooAc&feature=related

Married With Children - Favorite Scenes

y_ADNZYN35c&feature=related

GirlySports
11-04-2008, 01:19 AM
The Draft Board is up now.

http://geocities.com/cp_tv_draft/ (it's also linked on the first page)

Those of you without team names need team names :)

I'm not thrilled with Team MissTeeks and Team Barnes either.

HalifaxDrunk
11-04-2008, 06:12 AM
I thought about taking my "other" favorite fracking Sci Fi show but since I got it's cinematic counterpart in the Movie draft (Serenity), with my 2nd round selection team Jumped the Shark is pleased to select in the Fantasy Sci-Fi category:

Firefly

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2006/12/firefly_mmo.jpg

Firefly is an science fiction television series created by writer/director Joss Whedon, creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, under his Mutant Enemy Productions. Its naturalistic future setting, modeled after traditional Western movie motifs, presents an atypical backdrop for the science fiction narrative. Whedon served as executive producer, along with Tim Minear.

Firefly premiered in the United States and Canada on the FOX network on September 20, 2002. It was canceled after only eleven of the fourteen produced episodes were aired. Despite the series' relatively short life span, it received strong sales when it was released on DVD and has large fan support campaigns. It won an Emmy in 2003 for "Outstanding Special Visual Effects for a Series". The post-airing success of the show led Whedon and Universal Pictures to produce a film based on the series, titled Serenity after the fictional spaceship featured in the show.

The series is set in the year 2517, after humans have arrived at a new star system, and follows the adventures of the renegade crew of Serenity, a "Firefly-class" spaceship. The ensemble cast portrays the nine characters who live on Serenity. Whedon pitched the show as "nine people looking into the blackness of space and seeing nine different things".

The show explores the lives of people who fought on the losing side of a civil war and now make a living on the outskirts of the society, as well as the pioneer culture that exists on the fringes of their star system. In addition, it is a future where the only two surviving superpowers, the United States and China, fused to form the central federal government, called the Alliance, resulting in the fusion of the two cultures as well. According to Whedon's vision, "nothing will change in the future: technology will advance, but we will still have the same political, moral, and ethical problems as today."

Trailer
hx9H0bairGA

Gag Reel
-H1BZ5QUMYM

Jagger
11-04-2008, 07:46 AM
I thought about taking my "other" favorite fracking Sci Fi show but since I got it's cinematic counterpart in the Movie draft (Serenity), with my 2nd round selection team Jumped the Shark is pleased to select in the Fantasy Sci-Fi category:

Firefly

Great show. Another series that deserved a better fate than it received.

Jagger
11-04-2008, 08:01 AM
"Space, The Final Frontier"

Team Where's the Remote? are pleased to keep the sci-fi theme going and choose the other fracking Sci-Fi show that Drunk was perhaps talking about. WTR are proud and delighted to be able to take in the 2nd round the one, the only,

Star Trek

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7e/StarTrek_Logo_2007.JPG (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:StarTrek_Logo_2007.JPG)

I was going to take another sci-fi show in this spot but I really had to take this strong player at this position.

Wiki:
Star Trek is an American science fiction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction_on_television) entertainment series and media franchise (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_franchise). The Star Trek fictional universe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictional_universe) created by Gene Roddenberry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Roddenberry) is the setting of six television series including the original 1966 Star Trek (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Original_Series), in addition to ten feature films (with an eleventh in post-production (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_%28film%29) to be released on May 8, 2009). Dozens of computer and video games, hundreds of novels and fan stories (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_fiction), several fan-created video productions (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_fan_productions), as well as a themed attraction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_The_Experience) in Las Vegas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Las_Vegas_metropolitan_area). The original TV series alone has created a cult phenomenon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_following) and has spawned many pop culture references.[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek#cite_note-0)

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060028/

Youtube:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hdjL8WXjlGI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hdjL8WXjlGI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

habernac
11-04-2008, 08:25 AM
http://www.billionswithzeroknowledge.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/WindowsLiveWriter/CorporateandCommunityLeadership_A1D/insp_captkirk%5B5%5D.jpg

Bobblehead
11-04-2008, 08:27 AM

Firefly

Whoa, I didn't think that would go this quick. It was on my shortlist, too.

Great pick.

And just thinking about Jewel Staite and Christina Hendricks, well....

"I'll be in my bunk"

Prototype
11-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Strong choice with the Trek... while not a big raitings draw, only lasting 3 seasons, it had quite the following. Found this on imdb...

Shortly after the cancellation of the series, the staff of the marketing department of the NBC TV network confronted the network executives and berated them for canceling Star Trek, the most profitable show on the network in terms of demographic profiling of the ratings. They explained that although the show was never higher than #52 in the general ratings, its audience profile had the largest concentration of viewers of ages 16 to 39, the most sought after television audience for advertisers to reach. In other words, the show, despite the low ratings, had the precise audience advertisers hungered for, which was more than ample justification to consider the show a big success.

Barnes
11-04-2008, 09:49 AM
The Draft Board is up now.

http://geocities.com/cp_tv_draft/ (it's also linked on the first page)

Those of you without team names need team names :)

I'm not thrilled with Team MissTeeks and Team Barnes either.

Due to League head office complaints, Team Barnes has decided to re brand it's team's image and re name the team The Cleveland Indian Head Test Patterns.

This name reflects the respect this franchise holds for the history of television and its importance to our culture. It also embodies the spirit and tenacity of North American Native Peoples in a kitschy, almost racist way.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c2/TESTPATTERN_RCA_3.jpg/312px-TESTPATTERN_RCA_3.jpg

GirlySports
11-04-2008, 09:56 AM
^^ woohoo!

I've always liked the Indian test pattern.

But the Cleveland Indians? That's a terrible logo!

FanIn80
11-04-2008, 12:37 PM
/bump

2nd round should not equal 2nd page!

WindomURL
11-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Just wondering. It's election day in the US. Is that why DFF isn't online today? He is usually around at all hours, whenever I've seen him posting.

EDIT: nevermind. We might see him after 5 or 6pm on weekdays.

Bobblehead
11-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Just wondering. It's election day in the US. Is that why DFF isn't online today? He is usually around at all hours, whenever I've seen him posting.

Probably still in line at the polling place.

troutman
11-04-2008, 03:50 PM
In the Pre-1980 category, team "Watching Through the Static" picks WKRP in Cincinatti

This show only ran 4 seasons, and was a victim of being bounced around the schedule. But once in syndication it really found its legs and from the Phone Cops, to, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." this series only gets better and better.

http://www.toybox.ca/~suzannes/tvquotes/wkrp/index.html

If only they could release it to DVD with the original soundtrack.*sigh*

I loved that show - the episodes with Mother Carlson and her Butler were the best.

habernac
11-04-2008, 04:43 PM

EDIT: nevermind. We might see him after 5 or 6pm on weekdays.

yeah, Dis is working, he'll pick this evening sometime almost certainly.

GirlySports
11-04-2008, 05:44 PM
yeah, Dis is working, he'll pick this evening sometime almost certainly.

no asskicking tonight, people are either voting, watching the election, or watching the flames.

Maritime Q-Scout
11-04-2008, 05:54 PM
no asskicking tonight, people are either voting, watching the election, or watching the flames.

oh come on, if you're not ass kicking, voting, watching election coverage, AND the Flames then you're not trying hard enough! :D

Displaced Flames fan
11-04-2008, 09:26 PM
With my 2nd round pick I am proud to select, in the category of CANADIAN, SCTV!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075578/

I was so lucky to be exposed to this show via horrible VHS recordings in junior high. We watched these tapes until they didnt' play anymore and could recite many of the skits line by line. I have to admit, that I do love the fact (especially as a kid) that almost nobody I know has any idea what SCTV is or that Rick Moranis, Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara had careers before their blockbuster movies!

The talent on this show is unrivaled by any single season of SNL IMHO. So original and I think the premise of a TV network allowed the talent to explore beyond the classic 'skit' format. I will never forget many lines from the show and still use some of them to this day even though nobody has a clue what I'm talking about!

There's a real shortage of clips on youtube but here are a few good ones!

Gordon Lightfoot sings every song ever made!
eSThKFtOC48&feature=related

Bobby Bittman!

NNBRFmS07yo&feature=related

Night School Hi-Q

UE7zl_yPZyc

Displaced Flames fan
11-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Sorry for the delay everyone. While I was working and voting, I had some major PC issues begining Sunday that I was just able to resolve a couple of hours ago.

Great picks with Serenity and Star Trek. Was taking one of those two this round if they were available!

Flamesguy_SJ
11-04-2008, 10:12 PM
One thousand years ago, superstition and the sword ruled.
It was a time of darkness. It was a world of fear.
It was the age of gargoyles.
Stone by day, warriors by night,
we were betrayed by the humans we had sworn to protect,
frozen in stone by a magic spell for a thousand years.
Now, here in Manhattan, the spell is broken,
and we live again!
We are defenders of the night!
We are...

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/gargoyles/images/thumb/5/54/GargoylesLogo.jpg/300px-GargoylesLogo.jpg

With our 2nd pick in the Television Draft, The Channel Surfers could not possibly pass up the opportunity to select their favorite television series ever: Gargoyles.

This selection will be tentatively placed in the Action/Adventure category.

The series features a clan of six nocturnal creatures known as Gargoyles that turn to stone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrification) during the day. They glide using large wings and age twice as slowly as humans, living twice as long because they are stone during daylight hours, even when not directly exposed to sunlight. Their leader is Goliath (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath_%28Gargoyles%29) and his mentor is the elder gargoyle named Hudson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Clan#Hudson). The others are three younger warriors named Brooklyn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Clan#Brooklyn), Broadway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Clan#Broadway) and Lexington (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Clan#Lexington). There is also a dog-like beast without wings named Bronx (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan_Clan#Bronx).

In 994 A.D. on the coast of Scotland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland) the six clan members, along with several dozen unnamed gargoyles and Goliath's female gargoyle love, later named Demona (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demona), protect Castle Wyvern (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Places_in_Disney%27s_Gargoyles#Castle_Wyvern) and Princess Katherine along with many other Scots from Viking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viking) raiders until betrayal causes a massacre of the clan during their stone sleep (when they cannot defend themselves). Believing the gargoyles to be the cause of death for the princess, a magician called the Magus casts a spell on the six survivors putting them to sleep, day and night, using a spell that loosely translates to "Sleep, until the castle rises above the clouds."

In 1994, a billionaire named David Xanatos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Xanatos) purchases the castle and moves the crumbling remains, piece by piece, to the top of his New York City (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City) skyscraper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyscraper) called The Eyrie Building (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Places_in_Disney%27s_Gargoyles#The_Eyrie_Building) . The magic spell is broken when the castle is literally placed "above the clouds" due to the skyscraper's height and Xanatos acquires the Magus' original book of spells called the Grimorum Arcanorum. Awakening in modern day Manhattan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhattan), the gargoyles must adapt to their new surroundings as they vow to protect the citizens of New York (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City). Goliath befriends a detective of the NYPD named Elisa Maza (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elisa_Maza) and stops Xanatos from creating an army of robotic gargoyles after Demona returns, having somehow survived the 1000 years as well. She attempts to destroy them all but is stopped and Xanatos is arrested by the police for theft. The Gargoyles secret existence is kept safe with Elisa as they remain at the castle to protect New York City from various hostile forces.

I cannot say enough good things about this series. Originally developed as a children's television show by Disney, Gargoyles quickly took a life of its own and has become a cult classic to thousands and thousands of fans with its rich mythology and completely rounded characters.

A big staple of Gargoyles was the development of its supposed central villain, David Xanatos (voiced by Jonathan Frakes). Xanatos' character was seen as an ultimate opportunist, and very rarely ever "evil". He always had motivation behind his actions, and by the end of the series would become the Gargoyles' main ally.

I really loved this show as a kid, and just recently procured a copy of the entire series and watched it beginning to end, and found that a lot of the episodes were still relevant and aged very well. This is especially true of certain episodes like "Deadly Force", an episode in the first season that focused on the consequences of gun violence and was greatly praised by parents groups.

Some YouTube:

The opening:
ygrEVnrg3Ic

Xanatos compilation:
ttB3neLvNCo

Superflyer
11-04-2008, 10:28 PM
With our 2nd pick in the Television Draft, The Channel Surfers could not possibly pass up the opportunity to select their favorite television series ever: Gargoyles.

This selection will be tentatively placed in the Action/Adventure category.

Wow can't say I saw that one coming, I liked this one as well but a 2nd rounder, that is off the board I guess.

Coach
11-04-2008, 10:38 PM
DUDE GARGOYLES!!! Man I didnt even think about that. LOVED that show as a kid. Nice pick

Flash
11-04-2008, 10:39 PM
^I feel out of the loop...I've never even heard of Gargoyles.^ :bag:

Coach
11-04-2008, 10:43 PM
its was a 90's cartoon so unless you either grew up then or had kids you probably dont know it.

Flash
11-04-2008, 10:45 PM
I was born in 1980. I would have thought I'd have heard of it. :bag:

Torture
11-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Wow, I totally forgot about Gargoyles...LOVED that show as a kid!

Flash
11-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Second page bump.

Superflyer
11-05-2008, 09:23 AM
Wow we usually do not slow down this much until the 4th or 5th round

FanIn80
11-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Yeah, let's get this thing rolling! I already have my second pick lined up, and it's going to be a doozy!

Flash
11-05-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm actually really surprised that it's not moving faster than this.

Bobblehead
11-05-2008, 10:02 AM
DAMN YOU Dis. I expected that to make it to the 2nd round.

C'mon people. This isn't life or death. Get this thing moving.......

WindomURL
11-05-2008, 10:25 AM
I think sadora has forgotten about this draft.

Prototype
11-05-2008, 10:36 AM
If we're not competing here, ass kickings should happen much quicker...

MissTeeks
11-05-2008, 11:04 AM
So am I up or not?

habernac
11-05-2008, 11:05 AM
15 hours is AK time, that hasn't elapsed yet.

FanIn80
11-05-2008, 11:21 AM
1:15PM = AK-Time™

WindomURL
11-05-2008, 11:43 AM
I have a suggestion, and I'm sorry I didn't bring it up in the workshop thread.
If you know me from the Movie draft, you've seen how I was on people to make faster picks---to the point of being a pain in the ass sometimes.

What if there was a reward at the end of the draft for anyone who completes the whole thing without being AK'ed? That reward could be any number of things. Maybe being allowed to drop one pick and repick? I know how that topic came up in the Movie draft, and how lots of people said they would love to be able to have a mulligan. If 100% of the GMs end up having that benefit, then mission accomplished.

Reward, not penalty. That's a good motivator.

GirlySports
11-05-2008, 11:47 AM
I have a suggestion, and I'm sorry I didn't bring it up in the workshop thread.
If you know me from the Movie draft, you've seen how I was on people to make faster picks---to the point of being a pain in the ass sometimes.

What if there was a reward at the end of the draft for anyone who completes the whole thing without being AK'ed? That reward could be any number of things. Maybe being allowed to drop one pick and repick? I know how that topic came up in the Movie draft, and how lots of people said they would love to be able to have a mulligan. If 100% of the GMs end up having that benefit, then mission accomplished.

Reward, not penalty. That's a good motivator.

A kiss from the commish? :kiss:

It's hard to have rewards or penalties.
Life happens. Things come up. Internet dies. etc etc..

I know I've been away for more than 15 hours at a time.

HalifaxDrunk
11-05-2008, 12:37 PM
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/gargoyles/images/thumb/5/54/GargoylesLogo.jpg/300px-GargoylesLogo.jpg

While I agree this may have been a bit early, I wouldn't have called it "off the board" I love this show and have season 1 on DVD (1994) it was on my radar. Great pick!

sadora
11-05-2008, 01:40 PM
I think sadora has forgotten about this draft.

No, just in class. Will be making my pick soon.

Bobblehead
11-05-2008, 01:53 PM
No, just in class. Will be making my pick soon.

15 hour class? That's just harsh.

MissTeeks
11-05-2008, 01:58 PM
With the 28th pick in the TV Draft, Team Legen...wait for it...dary! would like to select, the longest running animated primetime show, and my favorite show of all time, in the Animation category, The Simpsons!

I really didn't think this would get this far in the draft so I'm really excited to get to pick it. I know it hasn't been good for the last couple seasons, but it was once the best show on tv. The fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh seasons have some of the best episodes of the entire series. I don't think I could name all my favorite episodes without making this the longest post ever! I still find myself watching The Simpsons three times a night all week. And I don't think I go a day without using some quote from the Simpsons. I was also not sure if it was classified under the Comedy (Sitcom) category or the Comedy (Open) category so I've put it in animation for the present.

IMDB page:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096697/

Clips (of course there were so many to choose, I only picks a few:

A favorite from CP as far as I can tell!

r_pqnsKWlpc

NX_23r7vYak

ceWZ624wBVA

Someone made a youtube with every single couch gag from the entire series, that's dedication!

Yl2o2fCJf30

Favorite quotes:

Bart (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004813/): I'm Bart Simpson. Who the hell are you?

[Tom Brady is riding a scooter down the football field]
Tom Brady (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1530018/): [shouts] Everyone sucks but me!

Lisa (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0810379/): Dad, what's a Muppet?
Homer (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0144657/): Well, it's not quite a mop, it's not quite a puppet, but man...
[laughs hysterically]
Homer (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0144657/): So to answer your question, I don't know.

Maude Flanders (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0594217/): They were having S-E-X in front of C-H-I-L-D-R-E-N.
Krusty the Clown (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0144657/): Sex Cauldron? I thought they closed that place down.

I could go on forever so I think I'll just stop there!

Dion
11-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Damn you Miss Teeks!

Gotta find another.

sadora
11-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Sorry for the delay, but without further ado, Team Vanderlay Industries is happy to select in the Drama category...24.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/24_Intertitle.jpg

Created before Sept. 11 and debuted just weeks after, 24 captured the country's edgy mood, and not just because it was about terrorism. With its breathless real-time format and multi-screens, 24 reflects the same information-overload media culture that gave us the zipper and screens-within-screens on cable news. The computers work a little too efficiently, the LA traffic is suspiciously light and Jack Bauer never has to take a leak, but Kiefer Sutherland gives Bauer psychological weight in the most outlandish situations, racing against a ticking clock that tolls for us.

iiunUk68TLQ

sadora
11-05-2008, 02:03 PM
15 hour class? That's just harsh.

when did the 15 hours begin? I checked before going to bed and my name wasn't up.

GirlySports
11-05-2008, 02:07 PM
when did the 15 hours begin? I checked before going to bed and my name wasn't up.

I probably slept before you did and didn't move your name up. :(

It's 15 hours since the last pick.

Bobblehead
11-05-2008, 02:07 PM

The previous pick was made at 10:12pm.

Just giving you a hard time. Nothing personal, just wanting to keep the pool moving.

Dion
11-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Another one from my list.....

Nice one Sadora!

sadora
11-05-2008, 02:08 PM
The previous pick was made at 10:12pm.

Just giving you a hard time. Nothing personal, just wanting to keep the pool moving.

Oh I know, so don't worry. I just don't remember seeing my name up, but I guess I was all caught up with the election news.

FallingMeTook
11-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Just a hint for anyone interested, pretty much the entire series of Gargoyles is up on Youtube, just search Gargoyle episode 1.

liamenator
11-05-2008, 05:16 PM
For our 2nd round pick, we're going to go off the board a bit here to select, in the category of Miniseries (with the option to flip to Educational at a later date)... Carl Sagan's epic celebration of history, space, science, thought, art, life... a magnificent depiction of all that is worth celebrating in humanity, a view that is all the more commendable when viewed in its historical context, when pessimism and fear were so easy to fall back on... 1980's Cosmos!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41D98HW4T8L.jpg

A brilliant series that does a masterful job of positioning Earth and humanity within the awesome, expansive context of the cosmos. Sagan's greatest achievement was always his ability to transgress the pettiness of the moment - in the one episode that addresses the contemporary fears of nuclear annihilation implicit within the Cold War context, he does so in positive terms, choosing to present a celebration of all humanity and all we have achieved, all we are capable of, which would be thrown away in such circumstances.

His ability to articulate complex scientific concepts in accessible terms is another aspect of Sagan's enduring legacy, and Cosmos stands up to this day as one of the greatest documentary television events ever produced.

R7n71pm0K04
ZQrkJchlldA
lwL_zi9JNkE

Maritime Q-Scout
11-05-2008, 05:40 PM
With our second selection in the 2008 Calgary Puck Television Draft, we here at the Patterson Corporation are pleased to select for our lineup on our new channel MQS-TV, a drama that not only inspired us, but also gave us a glimpse into life inside the White House from 1999 until 2006. Staring Allison Janey, John Spender, Bradley Whitford, Janel Moloney, Richard Schiff, Dule Hill, Nicole Robinson, Melissa Fitzgerald, Rob Lowe, Joshua Malina, and Martin Sheen as the President of the United States of America. Winning 2 Golden Globes, and 26 Emmy awards (tied for most ever by a television drama). Filling our the Drama* slot, we here at MQS-TV humbly select from the National Broadcasting Company, The West Wing.

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/9079/thewestwingcast708368qz3.jpg

Dmp1sGsHOAg

*line-up slot subject to change.

Displaced Flames fan
11-05-2008, 05:58 PM
This is just a statement of disbelief and is not meant to be critical of anyone so pleeeeeeeease don't take it that way people.

I can't believe that Gargoyles got multiple comments and nobody said anything about SCTV? I thought that would be on almost everyone's list!

GirlySports
11-05-2008, 06:02 PM
This is just a statement of disbelief and is not meant to be critical of anyone so pleeeeeeeease don't take it that way people.

I can't believe that Gargoyles got multiple comments and nobody said anything about SCTV? I thought that would be on almost everyone's list!

Cause SCTV was expected I think.
Half the people in the draft had never seen Gargoyles! (myself included)

Come on, troublemaker (FanIn80), it's your turn, speed it up :)

FanIn80
11-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Come on, troublemaker (FanIn80), it's your turn, speed it up :)

Mmmrawr ;)

FanIn80
11-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Ahem... With our second pick in this year's TV Draft, The Upper Trash are proud to select... in the Canadian category...

Hockey Night in Canada!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a5/HNIC_Logo_1998.png/200px-HNIC_Logo_1998.png

Hockey Night in Canada (often abbreviated Hockey Night or HNIC) is a television broadcast of National Hockey League games in Canada, produced by CBC Sports. Hockey Night consistently remains one of the highest-rated programs on Canadian television. It is also the world's oldest sports-related television program still on the air. The intermission highlight on HNIC is Coach's Corner, a segment featuring Don Cherry and Ron MacLean.

Hockey Night in Canada began airing on Saturday nights on CBC Television in 1952, retaining Imperial Oil as sponsor. It continued to feature regular season NHL games on the English network every Saturday evening during the NHL season, and retained many of the features such as the Hot Stove Lounge and the three stars selection, which originated as an Imperial Oil gasoline promotion and survived even as sponsorship eventually passed from Imperial to Molson and, later, Labatt.

Until the 1990s, there was only one game televised each Saturday night in any particular locality and up to 1968, regular season games were still not broadcast in their entirety. In the early 1960s, the broadcast time was moved to 8:30 p.m. Eastern Time, which allowed the game to be joined in progress during the first period. Starting in the fall of 1968, regular-season games were shown in their entirety. In 1970–71, the Vancouver Canucks joined the NHL, meaning that there were now three possible venues for an HNIC telecast. Four more Canadian-based teams joined the fold in 1979–80 and 1980–81, further increasing coverage. It should be noted, however, that the Quebec Nordiques were initially never shown at home on HNIC, as their owners, Carling O'Keefe Breweries, forbade Molson from televising games in their building. This was partly in response to efforts by the Montreal Canadiens, who were owned by Molson, to keep Quebec out of the league. After the 1989 merger between Molson and Carling O'Keefe, and the subsequent sale of the Nordiques, HNIC was now free to show games from Quebec City. Still, they rarely did, as the Nordiques English-speaking fan base was very small. They appeared more frequently on La Soiree du Hockey.

After Wayne Gretzky was traded to the Los Angeles Kings in 1988, the network began showing occasional double-headers when Canadian teams visited Los Angeles, in order to give the game's greatest star network exposure in Canada. These games were often joined in progress, as the regular start time for HNIC was still 8:00 Eastern Time and the Kings home games began at 7:30 Pacific Time (10:30 Eastern). Beginning in the 1995 season, weekly double-headers became the norm, with games starting at 7:30 Eastern and 7:30 Pacific. In 1998, the start times were moved thirty minutes earlier.

Instant replay made its debut on a 1955 HNIC broadcast. CBC director George Retzlaff made a kinescope recording of a goal, and replayed it to the television audience seconds later.

Beginning with the 1966-67 NHL season, all games broadcast on HNIC were in colour.

4ta5MWh_bUI

sPlJOPk5dsA

raEgZDBk-ys

Displaced Flames fan
11-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Well done.

I considered taking that as my Canadian pick, but SCTV won out. Besides, I think it's kind of wrong for an American to take HNIC. I love it from afar, but it's not my show. SCTV, however, I have no guilt about!

Dion
11-05-2008, 06:53 PM

It was on my list. I figured i was going to get it in a later round. Hoping that many didn't know of this show :(

Good pick btw!

HalifaxDrunk
11-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Ahem... With our second pick in this year's TV Draft, The Upper Trash are proud to select... in the Canadian category...

Hockey Night in Canada!

Hmm, never heard of it, it sounds pretty good I'll have to check it out. Is it still on TV or do you know where I can find it on DVD?

Superflyer
11-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Frick, Hockey Night in Canada never even crossed my mind. Funny how I missed out on that one. Just never came to mind as a show. Damn!!!

Maritime Q-Scout
11-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Frick, Hockey Night in Canada never even crossed my mind. Funny how I missed out on that one. Just never came to mind as a show. Damn!!!

thought of it after I clicked "send" on the West Wing, thought it might drop to round 3

getbak
11-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Hmm, never heard of it, it sounds pretty good I'll have to check it out. Is it still on TV or do you know where I can find it on DVD?
I find it's a really hit-or-miss show.

Every week they have a 6 hour episode, the first half is usually just horrible, the characters are terrible it really makes you wonder how they got cast in their roles. Then, the second half of the episode is great about 1 third of the time, and completely unbearable the other 2 thirds.

For about the first 6 months of the tv season, they're really focused on establishing the storylines and setting up the scenarios. Then, things really pick up. They usually have one episode per night, and sometimes two for two months straight. Thankfully, in recent seasons, the horrible cast members have been killed off early.

The season finale is usually really good. In 2006, they teased us by almost having the worst characters emerge triumphant, but they were vanquished at the last minute. The year before that they didn't have any new episodes but did show some re-runs. The year before that was really bittersweet, as the best characters had a fairy-tale run, but didn't quite live happily ever after.

Their best season by-far was 20 years ago (although the few seasons before that and the one after were unbearable).

sadora
11-05-2008, 08:12 PM

Hockey Night in Canada!

Well there goes my pick for the Canadian category. Damn you FanIn80. Damn you.

Well done BTW!

Prototype
11-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Almost took HNIC over Cosby... :(

Ro
11-05-2008, 09:15 PM
The Mustard Inspectors select with their 2nd round pick, in the animated category:

South Park (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_park)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/djroach/southpark.gif

A guilty pleasure for sure, but the scathing satire and insightful social commentary is grossly underrated. From Time Magazine:

Trey Parker and Matt Stone's Comedy Central cartoon has been America's best source of rapid-fire satire for a decade now, blasting hypocrites left and right and giving the final (and usually, the dirtiest) word on Elian Gonzalez, Terry Schiavo and numerous celebrity flip-outs. But the show's authentic, filthy heart is the four foul-mouthed, truth-telling Colorado boys at its center. Eric Cartman, especially, is a creation for the ages—America's wants and appetites rolled up into one pudgy package. The show's best episodes are not the current-events riffs but the stories about the boys, like "Scott Tenorman Must Die," in which Cartman concocts a Grand Guignol revenge against a tormentor involving cannibalism and a trained pony. Parker and Stone put the "id" in kid, and for that, we respect their authoritah.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5f/Southpark_disclaimer.png

Barnes
11-05-2008, 09:51 PM
The Cleveland Indian Head Test Patterns are proud to select in the category of drama, the AMC hit show, Mad Men.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/ab/Madmenlogo.jpg/250px-Madmenlogo.jpg

Set in New York City, Mad Men takes place in the early 1960s at the fictional Sterling Cooper advertising agency on New York City's Madison Avenue. The show centers on Don Draper (Jon Hamm), a high-level advertising executive, and the people in his life in and out of the office. It also depicts the changing social mores of 1960s America.

0I-WTCOTlOI

WindomURL
11-05-2008, 10:11 PM
I find it's a really hit-or-miss show.

Every week they have a 6 hour episode, the first half is usually just horrible, the characters are terrible it really makes you wonder how they got cast in their roles. Then, the second half of the episode is great about 1 third of the time, and completely unbearable the other 2 thirds.

For about the first 6 months of the tv season, they're really focused on establishing the storylines and setting up the scenarios. Then, things really pick up. They usually have one episode per night, and sometimes two for two months straight. Thankfully, in recent seasons, the horrible cast members have been killed off early.

The season finale is usually really good. In 2006, they teased us by almost having the worst characters emerge triumphant, but they were vanquished at the last minute. The year before that they didn't have any new episodes but did show some re-runs. The year before that was really bittersweet, as the best characters had a fairy-tale run, but didn't quite live happily ever after.

Their best season by-far was 20 years ago (although the few seasons before that and the one after were unbearable).

I nominate this post for the CP Draft Hall of Fame! :#1:

Looks like a few people had the same idea I did. I was going to grab it for sure this round if it survived. Troublemaker, you suck! :p

Flash
11-05-2008, 10:23 PM
To keep the ball rolling quickly, Team Sequoia is proud to select, in the Comedy (Sitcom) Category, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

Starring Will Smith, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air ran for six seasons (148 episodes) between 1990 and 1996. Will Smith starred as a street-smart teenager from Philadelphia whose mother sends him to California to live with his Uncle Phil (played by James Avery), his Aunt Vivian (played first by Janet Hubert and then by Daphne Reid), cousins Carlton (Alfonso Riberio), Hilary (Karyn Parsons), Ashley (Tatyana Ali), and their butler Geoffrey (Joseph Marcell).

The Opening Theme song:

NHIA1LGuMhQ

One of Will Smith's best scenes, (and one of my personal favourites), after his father returns from being out of Will's life for 14 years, and quickly leaves again:

hu_UpcRBnF0

Another of my favourites, during an earthquake, Will gets stuck in the basement with his girlfriend, only to find out she's not all he thought she was:

WrD_ERSXWZA

Dion
11-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Good choice Flash!

Ro
11-05-2008, 11:39 PM
The Mustard Inspectors select with their 1st round pick, in the Drama category:

Six Feet Under (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Feet_Under_%28TV_series%29)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/djroach/sfu.jpg

I haven't watched a ton of drama series on TV, and I certainly haven't watched every episode of a particular series more than once like I have with Six Feet Under, so I couldn't risk it lasting another round.

My favorite show, ever. Forever, ever? Forever, ever. Has won 43 major awards and been nominated for 117, but for some reason doesn't seem to always garner the recognition it should. I think it's one of a handful of shows that can truly challenge for "best TV show of all-time." I love this series dearly- so much so I almost don't want to start watching some new shows for fear I'll like them as much as I do SFU! If you've never given it a shot, please do- I can't recommend it enough. From Time Magazine:

Alan Ball's all-in-the-funeral-family drama expanded on the themes of his movie American Beauty: families keep secrets, people maintain facades, and while death may be final, life is messy. The saga of the Fishers reveled in its characters' contradictions: matriarch Ruth (Frances Conroy) was both uptight and free-spirited; artist daughter Claire (Lauren Ambrose) was insightful yet whiny; son David (Michael C. Hall) was repressed yet brave; other son Nate (Peter Krause) was idealistic yet could be a total jerk. In its bravura last few episodes (spoilers) and the elegiac epilogue, fast-forwarding through the lives and deaths of (spoilers), was the series' best imaginable epitaph.http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/djroach/six-feet-under-743728.jpg

Eastern Girl
11-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Another of my favourites, during an earthquake, Will gets stuck in the basement with his girlfriend, only to find out she's not all he thought she was:

WrD_ERSXWZA

I love, from that episode, when she rips off her fake nails. The look of disgust on his face was priceless.

Good pick!

habernac
11-06-2008, 02:23 AM
For Sitcom, I'll take the classic Cheers.

I'll do a writeup later on, I'm really tired...

Maritime Q-Scout
11-06-2008, 07:08 AM

Damn you, that was my selection for next round! :fist:

GirlySports
11-06-2008, 07:29 AM

Wow, so committed! I was going to give you an extension since you were a little busy.

Congrats!! :)

HalifaxDrunk
11-06-2008, 07:48 AM

Damn you, that was my selection for next round! :fist:

Me too! Oh, well plenty of other fish in the TV sea...

FanIn80
11-06-2008, 08:34 AM
Oh man! I was deciding between Cheers and HNiC! I should have known Cheers wasn't going to make the third round, but I couldn't pick both.

Awesome pick! Cheers and Friends were my all-time favourite sitcoms.

Bobblehead
11-06-2008, 08:39 AM
In Reality(Elimination), team Watching Through the Static chooses the granddaddy of them all Survivor.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fb/Survivor.borneo.logo.png/180px-Survivor.borneo.logo.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_Finale

Since 2000 this show has been both a ratings monster, and reviled. Especially off the earlier versions, contestants have found their fame or infamy through this show.

Coach
11-06-2008, 09:13 AM
Team Boob Tube selects in the Comedy (Open) category, Entourage. With one of, if not the best character on TV, Entourage has become HBO's second longest running series. Here's to hoping for many more seasons!

Ari Gold (NSFW)
8E1l8TrDfpY

Another great Ari Gold moment (NSFW)
qKNV5foRiL4

Prototype
11-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Another I had thought about with that first pick... if we had snaked, I would have had either HNIC or Entourage... or 24 for that matter. I guess the other one I was thinking of, I should pick with my next chance.

Flash
11-06-2008, 09:37 AM
I love, from that episode, when she rips off her fake nails. The look of disgust on his face was priceless.

Good pick!

That's one of my favourite scenes as well...even after seeing it a hundred times, I still laugh at that part.

HalifaxDrunk
11-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Team Boob Tube selects in the Comedy (Open) category, Entourage.

I knew it wouldn't make it back to me, awesome pick! One of the only shows on today that I watch religiously.

JerzeeGirl
11-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Hopefully this isn't a big fata but for our 2nd round pick, Team TV Guide selects from the Canadian category, Kids In The Hall.

No time for a writeup now, but will post some youtubes etc tonight!

czure32
11-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Hopefully this isn't a big fata but for our 2nd round pick, Team TV Guide selects from the Canadian category, Kids In The Hall.

No time for a writeup now, but will post some youtubes etc tonight!

what a wonderful program, I loved KITH, I could prolly sit here all day and talk about some of the great sketches they had...

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/5/b/7/5b75cba84048dd83b5699a926da95aaa.jpg

CiGRpm6Tf3I

Dion
11-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Some great picks everyone!

Eastern Girl
11-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Team Idiot Box would like to select in the second round, in the category of Law/Crime, the excellent and severely underrated Third Watch. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0197182/)

From IMDB, the general concept of the show:
The exploits of a group of men and women who serve the City of New York as police officers, firemen, and paramedics in the fictional 55th Precinct.

Third Watch began its run in 1999 and ended in 2005 with a bang. It was a fantastic show, that held its own in the ratings and managed to find a loyal fanbase.

Production was shut down for awhile in the aftermath of 911. The firetrucks they used on the show were destroyed at the WTC. Several firefighters and policemen that served as technical advisors were lost that day, and as a tribute to them, the show aired a special episode, titled In Their Own Words. The episode featured the cast and real NYC police, firefighters and EMS talking about their experiences that day and how they were effected by the tragedy.

Third Watch was one of the few shows on television where I would actually get upset if I missed an episode, or if someone phoned when the show was on. Unfortunately, NBC is really lagging in releasing the show on DVD. Only the first season is currently available in NA, with seemingly no real plans yet on when the second through to the sixth season will be released.

Good acting, good writing, drama, car chases, gun fights, and hot guys in cop, firefighter and EMS uniforms, all the good stuff.

Youtubage:

The opening credits of the Final season:

NsqlauOm7ec

Bosco's squad car is stolen, quite a sweet ending, showing the softer side of the typically hard assed Bosco:

ux1Dtd58dyU

A sad moment, where the crew finds the body of the father of one of the main characters in the rubble at ground zero

M-NE8QytiXg

Bosco goes to Faith and breaks down about his experience of 911:

Jg1oe774Nm4

There's lots of other clips that I could post but some would have spoilers and I wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone.

troutman
11-06-2008, 01:13 PM
For our 2nd round pick, we're going to go off the board a bit here to select, in the category of Miniseries (with the option to flip to Educational at a later date)... Carl Sagan's epic celebration of history, space, science, thought, art, life... a magnificent depiction of all that is worth celebrating in humanity, a view that is all the more commendable when viewed in its historical context, when pessimism and fear were so easy to fall back on... 1980's Cosmos!

A brilliant series that does a masterful job of positioning Earth and humanity within the awesome, expansive context of the cosmos. Sagan's greatest achievement was always his ability to transgress the pettiness of the moment - in the one episode that addresses the contemporary fears of nuclear annihilation implicit within the Cold War context, he does so in positive terms, choosing to present a celebration of all humanity and all we have achieved, all we are capable of, which would be thrown away in such circumstances.

His ability to articulate complex scientific concepts in accessible terms is another aspect of Sagan's enduring legacy, and Cosmos stands up to this day as one of the greatest documentary television events ever produced.

I have the series on DVD. It fueled my interest in science, as I'm sure it did for millions of people. I joined the Planetary Society (formed by Sagan) as a result, and remain a member. Still fresh in my mind are the episodes on relativity (a boy travels at the speed of light on a moped and returns to find his brother is an old man), the cosmic calendar (humans arrived in the last minute before midnight on New Year's Eve), the evolution of man from one cell organisms (an animation showing the change in forms).

The Cosmos is all that is, or ever was, or ever will be.

WindomURL
11-06-2008, 02:21 PM
For pick #40 in the 2nd round, The Don Lapre Appreciation Society (http://members.shaw.ca/windomurl/Screenshot-CalgaryPuckTelevisionShowDraft.png) selects its Canadian pick,
Trailer Park Boys (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290988/)

http://showcase.ca/DMM/T/R/Trailer_Park_Boys_001.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/53/140590208_f6263845cc.jpg?v=1146792801

-Boosted from Showcase.ca (http://www.showcase.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?Root_Title_Id=46699)
This quirky mockumentary about life on the wrong side of the tracks continues to follow the story of Ricky, Julian and Bubbles, and their ongoing clashes with Trailer Park Supervisor, Mr. Lahey, and his ever loyal sidekick, Randy.

The show has become an alternative favourite in many key European territories, including the U.K. where it’s enjoying cult status on the Paramount Comedy Channel.

The Trailer Park Boys hit the big screen in late 2006 in a feature film produced by Ivan Reitman (Ghostbusters). “…Trashy but tremendously funny…” TV Guide (US)

Now F@ck off i got work to do...

Flash
11-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Another second page bump.

Displaced Flames fan
11-06-2008, 05:24 PM
For the record, I love Windom's team name.

I need to come up with one of those.

3 drafts simultaneously right now. I'm having a tough time keeping up!

Coach
11-06-2008, 05:25 PM
I have to say, I have always hated Trailer Park Boys, and I seem to be alone for the most part in this category

CMPunk
11-06-2008, 05:26 PM
I have to say, I have always hated Trailer Park Boys, and I seem to be alone for the most part in this category

Agreed. I never found the show that funny, not sure what the appeal is

WindomURL
11-06-2008, 06:21 PM
For the record, I love Windom's team name.

I need to come up with one of those.

3 drafts simultaneously right now. I'm having a tough time keeping up!

Thanks Displaced. Did you click on the link in my team name for the TPB pick? I checked the draft board and had a laugh at the sponsored ads that came up :D

Matty and CMPunk, I was with you in my opinion on the show for the first few years. Then I kept finding out from some of my friends (intelligent and with good taste too) that they were big fans. Once I really started watching it I changed my mind.

It's definitely an acquired taste, but when you catch the running jokes, etc. it may grow on you too!

Superflyer
11-06-2008, 06:26 PM
The Infomercial Kings are proud to select in the 2nd round as a tribute to the late Michael Crichton, in the category of Medical - ER
I believe this is one of, if not the best Medical drama on TV. The story lines, amazing acting and the fact that it has been running for over 10 years shows how amazing it is.

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl1/1/13839/15_2008/MV5BMjA0NjI0ODgzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDAxNDUyMQ@@._ V1._SY400_SX600_.jpg

Michael Crichton has created a medical drama that chronicles life and death in a Chicago hospital emergency room. Each episode tells the tale of another day in the ER, from the exciting to the mundane, and the joyous to the heart-rending. Frenetic pacing, interwoven plot lines, and emotional rollercoastering is used to attempt to accurately depict the stressful environment found there. This show even portrays the plight of medical students in their quest to become physicians.

The list of people who have have had regular roles on this show is very impressive, Eric LaSalle, John Stamos, Noah Wyle, oh and some guy called George Clooney.

Opening Credits
W9G1l8Viw4I

Clips of Season 1
swgIFLCUC8k

5 Best Scenes
5-3
doatvg59ayk

2-1
fbcLYiCWTP4

getbak
11-06-2008, 06:34 PM
"Sometimes I wish we could just hit 'em over the head, rob 'em, and throw their bodies in the creek."
"But that would be wrong."

In the Drama category, Frozen TV Dinner is very pleased to select the absolutely outstanding historical western...HBO's Deadwood.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/18/Deadwood_titleimage.jpg/200px-Deadwood_titleimage.jpg

I agonized over this one in the first round, so I'm very happy that it's still available in the second round.

Deadwood was created, produced, and written by David Milch for HBO. It aired for 3 seasons during the springs of 2004 and 2005 and the summer of 2006.

The series is based upon the actual events and notable figures present in the early days of the settling of the town of Deadwood, in what is now the State of South Dakota. The characters of Al Swearengen, Seth Bullock, Sol Star, and many others (including the famous Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane) are based on actual historical figures who transformed Deadwood from a small and lawless mining camp into a bustling town.

Those who are wild west history buffs will know that Wild Bill was murdered in Deadwood while playing poker (holding 2 pair - Aces and Eights - the infamous "dead man's hand"), as he sat with his back to the door - something he usually refused to do for the very reason that too many people might look at it as an opportunity to kill the legendary Wild Bill. Hickok (played wonderfully by Keith Carradine) is a major character in the early episodes, but his fate is not to see Deadwood become a thriving town, and he does not survive the fourth episode.

At that point, the series really becomes about the struggles between self-righteous (former and future) lawman, Seth Bullock (Timothy Olyphant) and the rough and tumble Al Swearengen (played masterfully by Ian McShane) a man with a checkered past, and not-too-clean present, who owns the local tavern and brothel, The Gem.

Seth left his job as a Sheriff in Montana shortly after Custer's Last Stand and has moved to Deadwood to run a simple supply store with his friend and partner, Sol Starr (John Hawkes). Hickok's murder is the impetus for Al to realize that Deadwood needs some law and order (as long as he is personally exempt from it) and for Seth to realize that he can never really leave being a lawman behind.

The show, town, and characters evolved greatly over the course of its three seasons. Al is the villain of season one, but by the end, he's Seth's begrudging ally and you might even say a civic leader as Deadwood is set to join the Dakota Territory.

This is a show not for the easily offended, it is full of violence, nudity, profanity, and racism. The dialog on the show is a strange mix of almost Shakespearean eloquence, and extreme profanity. Apparently, someone actually went to the trouble of counting, and found that the "F" word was spoken 43 times in the first hour of the series and 2980 times over the show's full run, for an average of 1.56 times per minute of air time.

The only clip on Youtube that I could find that wasn't full of profanity was the opening credits...

B909njPoX7k

The same could not be said of this set of clips (don't say I didn't warn you -- DO NOT PLAY IF THERE ARE SENSITIVE EARS ANYWHERE IN THE VICINITY)...

tleSL7uk74s

Unfortunately, differences between David Milch and HBO led to Deadwood's cancellation, and the two follow-up movies that were promised by Milch and HBO look like they will never see the light of day.

Dion
11-06-2008, 06:35 PM
^^
Yikes! Another gone from my list!

I watch ER religiously. Sadly this is the last season :(

Displaced Flames fan
11-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Just about to head out to the game, so no write-up now...

In the Drama category, Frozen TV Dinner is very pleased to select the absolutely outstanding historical western drama...Deadwood.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/18/Deadwood_titleimage.jpg/200px-Deadwood_titleimage.jpg

I agonized over this one in the first round, so I'm very happy that it's still available. I'd post a quote, but it would be censored.

I have heard such great things about this show. This is another series that I have never seen a single second of, but will be renting on DVD.

HalifaxDrunk
11-06-2008, 07:28 PM

And I scratch another Gem off my list.....Awesome pick!

Flash
11-06-2008, 07:37 PM

I've never seen a single episode and never plan on it...the commercials are enough to keep me away.

Flash
11-06-2008, 07:40 PM
The Infomercial Kings are proud to select in the 2nd round as a tribute to the late Michael Crichton, in the category of Medical - ER
I believe this is one of, if not the best Medical drama on TV. The story lines, amazing acting and the fact that it has been running for over 10 years shows how amazing it is.

Michael Crichton has created a medical drama that chronicles life and death in a Chicago hospital emergency room. Each episode tells the tale of another day in the ER, from the exciting to the mundane, and the joyous to the heart-rending. Frenetic pacing, interwoven plot lines, and emotional rollercoastering is used to attempt to accurately depict the stressful environment found there. This show even portrays the plight of medical students in their quest to become physicians.

The list of people who have have had regular roles on this show is very impressive, Eric LaSalle, John Stamos, Noah Wyle, oh and some guy called George Clooney.

Nice pick! I was hoping it'd be around by the time I picked next, but nope, too good to last that long!

Just about to head out to the game, so no write-up now...

In the Drama category, Frozen TV Dinner is very pleased to select the absolutely outstanding historical western drama...Deadwood.

I agonized over this one in the first round, so I'm very happy that it's still available. I'd post a quote, but it would be censored.

I've heard a lot of good things about Deadwood, but haven't seen it...worth renting on DVD if it's available?

Superflyer
11-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Nice pick! I was hoping it'd be around by the time I picked next, but nope, too good to last that long!

Yeah I love ER and I was debating it and CSI for my first pick but i thought that ER had a little better chance of making it to the 2nd round. I was suprised that it was still here when my turn came around.

HalifaxDrunk
11-06-2008, 10:28 PM
I've heard a lot of good things about Deadwood, but haven't seen it...worth renting on DVD if it's available?

No he picked it cause he hates it. :bag:

Just kidding. Rent it this weekend, you will love it!

Prototype
11-06-2008, 10:47 PM
A little of the board, but my current addiction (no pun intended)...

In the DRAMA category, (new name) Team "Test Patern" selects CALIFORNICATION.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0904208/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51VfzoRsqHL._SS500_.jpg

Great writing, great characters, great situations. Funny enough, I got hooked on this show by watching them on Shaw's Video On Demand, when I had to wake up for middle of the night feedings with my newborn son. He won't remember a thing.

Season One Coles Notes (NSFW):
j07RmXNVbIA

Season Two Coles Notes (NSFW):
U4VGyo4QIiA

I'd post more, but it's better to leave it to Duchnovny. And the girl who plays the daughter... scene stealer for almost every one she's in.

getbak
11-06-2008, 10:48 PM
If you're easily offended, you might not like it, it's full of violence, profanity, and nudity, otherwise, it's one of the most amazing series I've ever seen.

The dialog is a weird combination of Shakespearean density and blatant profanity.

Flash
11-06-2008, 10:58 PM
No he picked it cause he hates it. :bag:

Just kidding. Rent it this weekend, you will love it!

I meant worth it for me, damn you HD, how dare you $%@!%&#(!!!!!

If you're easily offended, you might not like it, it's full of violence, profanity, and nudity, otherwise, it's one of the most amazing series I've ever seen.

The dialog is a weird combination of Shakespearean density and blatant profanity.

Me, easily offended? Nah...:whistle:

:lol: In all seriousness, sounds awesome, I'll have to check it out.

Dion
11-06-2008, 11:02 PM
With the 48th pick in the TV Draft http://i34.tinypic.com/291p30n.jpg proudly select from the Reality (ongoing)......

"Deadliest Catch"

http://i37.tinypic.com/2wfpdvo.jpg

Bingo bango bongo! This has to best reality show going! It fascinates me that a group of men would risk thier lives fishing for Opelio crab on the Bering sea. Grueling working conditions and rough seas, all for that possible huge pay day at seasons end. Like a soap opera you get to follow these brave men and learn of thier trials and tribulations of Alaska crab fishing. Narrarated of course by Mike Row of "Dirty Jobs" fame :cool:

Theme Song - Wanted Dead or Alive

F2FtehUVLKA&feature=related

My favourite scene: Mike Fournter rips his rain pants in sub-zero temperatures which causes him to go postal and shoot a lot of holes in the bait bucket. Anger management :D

P_rGxa4BJ9w&feature=related

Original and Genuine Trailer

7vLPQUAZIdk&feature=related

Deadliest Catch Rescue Scene

GEu_oymX6iU&feature=related

Ro
11-06-2008, 11:07 PM
A little of the board, but my current addiction (no pun intended)...

In the DRAMA category, (new name) Team "Test Patern" selects CALIFORNICATION.

I've heard from some friends that Californication is awesome, and your picking it this high might have just bumped it to the top of my queue of must-see TV shows. Thanks!

Dion
11-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Never heard of that one Proto. Now after watching your youtubes i might to pick up the DVD.

getbak
11-07-2008, 02:51 AM
I have updated my Deadwood selection with more info about the show and some clips. So, stop being a ********* ********** and go watch them.

A comment about Californication, maybe I have a weird sense of humor, but I would have put it in the comedy category. I guess it has enough dramatic moments to fit there too.

I find it to be a really weird show, I watch every episode, I enjoy most of them, but I still don't know if I "like" the show. I appreciate the talent and creativity of the people behind the show (and the frequent nubile nudity is a bonus). It's a well-made show, but I just don't know if I "like" it.

There are a few other shows I can think of that also fall into that category, but I don't want to mention them since they might get picked. I think my problem with it is that I don't like or relate to any of the characters on the show. If I knew these people in real life, I would change my phone number and email address to avoid them.

Most shows have some "grounded" person for viewers to relate to, and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be the mother or the daughter, but I don't really care for either of them. The girl is okay, but I think she's unrealistically "world wise" for someone her age who grew up in such a messed-up environment. I find the mother more unbearable than Hank. He's a horrible and unrepentant narcissist, but at least he recognizes that he's unlikeable. I don't think Karen realizes that she's unlikeable too.

The Runkles, however, amuse the hell out of me. Charlie's porn adventures this season have been great.

I think the only character on the show who I don't dislike as a person is the prostitute played by Judy Greer ("say goodbye to these").

Superflyer
11-07-2008, 07:37 AM
With the 48th pick in the TV Draft http://i34.tinypic.com/291p30n.jpg proudly select from the Reality (ongoing)......

"Deadliest Catch"

Damn it, I love this show and was hoping that it would drop some more. Frick!!

Good pick man.

Prototype
11-07-2008, 08:07 AM
A comment about Californication, maybe I have a weird sense of humor, but I would have put it in the comedy category. I guess it has enough dramatic moments to fit there too.

Valid, but there's some serious undertones inbetween jokes that makes it just as much a drama as it is a comedy. Plus, imdb.com tagged it as both, which I was very happy to see.

I find it to be a really weird show, I watch every episode, I enjoy most of them, but I still don't know if I "like" the show. I appreciate the talent and creativity of the people behind the show (and the frequent nubile nudity is a bonus). It's a well-made show, but I just don't know if I "like" it.

That's fair as well. I can see it being a very 'love it or hate it' show for people. I would almost compare it to "Lost In Translation" with more nudity, language and drugs. The comedy at times is very dry, other times very slapsticky.

There are a few other shows I can think of that also fall into that category, but I don't want to mention them since they might get picked. I think my problem with it is that I don't like or relate to any of the characters on the show. If I knew these people in real life, I would change my phone number and email address to avoid them.

Most shows have some "grounded" person for viewers to relate to, and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be the mother or the daughter, but I don't really care for either of them. The girl is okay, but I think she's unrealistically "world wise" for someone her age who grew up in such a messed-up environment. I find the mother more unbearable than Hank. He's a horrible and unrepentant narcissist, but at least he recognizes that he's unlikeable. I don't think Karen realizes that she's unlikeable too.

The girl is the only one who has a head on her shoulders, and is able to reason with any situation. Maybe a little far fetched in the mish-mash of disfunction that is that family, but quite funny none the less. Karen always thinks she's the victim, when clearly it's Hank, regardless where he is or what bedroom he's in. This season is making that perfectly clear that Karen can do no wrong in her mind.

The Runkles, however, amuse the hell out of me. Charlie's porn adventures this season have been great.

The Runkles on the coke is absolutely killing me. Charlie in the bathtub after the Lobster and Blow fest they had... tears... I was broken with laughter.

I think the only character on the show who I don't dislike as a person is the prostitute played by Judy Greer ("say goodbye to these").

Not a regular character, thank goodness.

The reason I took it high was that I didn't want to lose it later like some of my faves in the Movie Draft. Couldn't move away from Cosby with the first pick, but couldn't imagine not having CALIFORNICATION on my list.

FanIn80
11-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Love Californication. Awesome pick!

HalifaxDrunk
11-07-2008, 09:10 AM
After getting Firefly last round I didn't think I would get the other Fracking space show I love.

With our next pick team Jumped the Shark is super happy to select in the category of Action/Adventure:

Battlestar Galactica (2004 - )

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b187/HalifaxDrunk/BStar.jpg

In a distant part of the universe, a civilization of humans live on planets known as the Twelve Colonies. In the past, the Colonies have been at war with a cybernetic race known as the Cylons. With the help (knowing or unknowing) of a human named Baltar, the Cylons launch a sudden sneak attack on the Colonies, laying waste to the planets and devastating their populations. A few thousand of the human survivors flee into space aboard any spacecraft they can reach. Of all the Colonial Fleet, the Battlestar Galactica appears to be the only military ship that survived the attack. Under the leadership of famed military leader Commander Adama, the Battlestar Galactica and its crew take up the task of leading the small fugitive fleet of survivors into space in search of a fabled refuge known as Earth.

Trailer
hvYVR6XXsHA

FanIn80
11-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Hmmm I keep meaning to watch that, as I always hear how good it is... but Sci Fi and me...

Star Wars is about as Sci Fi as I get. I may give it a shot this winter, though.

getbak
11-07-2008, 10:03 AM
The reason I took it high was that I didn't want to lose it later like some of my faves in the Movie Draft. Couldn't move away from Cosby with the first pick, but couldn't imagine not having CALIFORNICATION on my list.
Let me be clear that I was in no way criticizing your pick. It's a solid show and I can understand it getting picked early.

My comments were more for the people who were questioning whether or not they should check it out, to understand that it's a entertaining show, but it isn't a typical show, so you have to approach it from a different perspective. If it didn't entertain me, I wouldn't watch it, and the fact is, I watch it every week.

The dinner party scene from a couple of weeks ago was cringe-inducing - but in a good way. Besides, any show that has given the world Paula Marshall naked can never be considered bad...and you can't hate a show that's not afraid to use the term "mouth rapist".

Displaced Flames fan
11-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Dion, you SOB!

I hate reality TV so much that there are only a few shows, even of the perpetual type, that I like and this is no doubt the freaking king.

Deadliest Catch is fascinating. Well done.

These reality categories are going to be really tough for me.

Bobblehead
11-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Dion, you SOB!

I hate reality TV so much that there are only a few shows, even of the perpetual type, that I like and this is no doubt the freaking king.

Deadliest Catch is fascinating. Well done.

These reality categories are going to be really tough for me.

That's kind of why I took Survivor. There are only a few I've ever watched and The Amazing Race was already gone. There are lots of shows I liked more, but in categories where I would be happy with 5 or 6 different options. So I may miss out on some shows (and yes, SCTV was on my very short list. I doubt it would have made it back to you. Especially with troutman's sig to continually remind people of it) but at least I picked a show I used to watch.