PDA

View Full Version : The Metal Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

devo22
07-30-2019, 03:49 PM
Tool hasn't released an album in 13 years, so I'm really interested in hearing where they go with it. Their evolution as a band seemed to plateau around Schism and 10,000 days. Will it be a masterpiece over a decade in the making? Or will it be a complete mess performed by disinterested musicians?
I have no idea if it's going to be a masterpiece (probably not), but that it won't be. It took MJK 15 years to release a new album with A Perfect Circle too and it was really good. Tool won't throw out a half-arsed effort either ;) the two new songs they've played live were good too.

Erick Estrada
07-30-2019, 05:21 PM
I like Tool but feel they are one of the more overrated bands. Aenima is the only album of theirs I would consider a masterpiece. 10,000 days was a total snoozer of an album IMO.

Matata
07-31-2019, 03:36 PM
I like Tool but feel they are one of the more overrated bands. Aenima is the only album of theirs I would consider a masterpiece. 10,000 days was a total snoozer of an album IMO.

Overrated in the sense that they're not your cup of tea, or overrated in the sense that they aren't as great as people think they are? What would you consider their biggest deficiencies as a band? I agree 10,000 days wasn't so great and it didn't show any evolution from Schism.

codynw
07-31-2019, 11:00 PM
Overrated has just turned into something that people say when they don't like a popular thing.

Erick Estrada
08-01-2019, 08:26 AM
Overrated in the sense that they're not your cup of tea, or overrated in the sense that they aren't as great as people think they are? What would you consider their biggest deficiencies as a band? I agree 10,000 days wasn't so great and it didn't show any evolution from Schism.

I say overrated because that's a word that comes up a lot in a Tool discussion to which I tend to agree. I have all their albums (I listen to a lot of music) so it's not that I don't like them but they kind of fall into a zone of bands that I like but don't love. A lot of people talk them up like they are one of the greatest bands ever and to me one great album does not make an all-time great band.

Erick Estrada
08-01-2019, 09:36 AM
Overrated has just turned into something that people say when they don't like a popular thing.

Maybe but I use it in the context of something that's good being praised as great or the best. If I didn't like Tool's music I would simply say that they aren't my cup of tea as there's plenty of music out there I don't like but it doesn't mean it's bad and that it's just something I personally don't care for. I like Tool as I like a lot of bands and I always have a rotation of bands I'm falling in and out of love with but to me the great bands do more than have a brief moment where they were really good. Slipknot for example is another band people either love or like but feel a little overrated and I would argue they have at least more meat in their discography than Tool.

I will still buy this new Tool album BTW and I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised as when a band is on hiatus as long as they have been you never really know what you are going to get when they finally release something new.

Igottago
08-01-2019, 01:18 PM
I say overrated because that's a word that comes up a lot in a Tool discussion to which I tend to agree. I have all their albums (I listen to a lot of music) so it's not that I don't like them but they kind of fall into a zone of bands that I like but don't love. A lot of people talk them up like they are one of the greatest bands ever and to me one great album does not make an all-time great band.

That's why a lot of people don't think they're overrated, because they don't think Aenima is their only great album. I think Aenima is the album that mainstream rock media might try to convince people is the quintessential Tool album (and it is a great album). I would argue Lateralus is their true masterpiece. I think among Tool fans you'd probably have a spirited discussion about what their best album is, which is usually a sign of a great band.

Igottago
08-01-2019, 01:25 PM
I have no idea if it's going to be a masterpiece (probably not), but that it won't be. It took MJK 15 years to release a new album with A Perfect Circle too and it was really good. Tool won't throw out a half-arsed effort either ;) the two new songs they've played live were good too.

I am very excited for the new Tool album but also a little bit worried it won't live up to their catalog after all this time. I thought the last perfect circle album was downright terrible, and a lot of Maynard's stuff with Puscifer never really did anything for me. So I can't just automatically assume I'm going to love the new Tool, but I'm a way bigger fan of them than any of Maynard's side projects.

devo22
08-01-2019, 01:28 PM
I thought the last perfect circle album was downright terrible
interesting, I absolutely loved it ... well, at least the first half of the album. Never really cared for the Puscifer stuff either.

as for Tool being "overrated", they've definitely been hyped up by so many people for such a long time that I understand the sentiment. Personally I absolutely loved Lateralus and 10,000 Days, so for me it's not "only one masterpiece". Not even sure if Aenima is my favourite of them.

Matata
08-02-2019, 01:06 PM
Tool's music is now on streaming services! So far "ticks & leaches" is #1 on google play, guess it wasn't just one of my personal favorites. Though I don't really know how they do their rankings.

so far album popularity is: Lateralus>Undertow>Opiate(EP)>Aenima>10,000 days

I've long thought that you could argue Tool has 1-3 masterpiece albums, it's a good time to dive into to plunge into the back catalogue and figure it out.

e: Can we at least agree Tool is the best metal to listen to while doing mushrooms?

TheIronMaiden
08-02-2019, 01:44 PM
Tool's music is now on streaming services! So far "ticks & leaches" is #1 on google play, guess it wasn't just one of my personal favorites. Though I don't really know how they do their rankings.

I've long thought that you could argue Tool has 1-3 masterpiece albums, it's a good time to dive into to plunge into the back catalogue and figure it out.

e: Can we at least agree Tool is the best metal to listen to while doing mushrooms?

From personal experience I would argue that Dio is the best. The combination of soaring vocals and high fantasy makes for a perfect mood.

Erick Estrada
08-02-2019, 02:16 PM

I now have album artwork on iTunes for all my Tool albums! Yay! I always hated the grey square.

devo22
08-03-2019, 07:12 AM
New video from Lacuna Coil (my favorite Italian band) in Calgary Oct. 6. Great band. Lets get out and support these bands!

aGSed4hnEv8
not that big of a Lacuna Coil fan (they are pretty hit or miss for me), but I really like this one!

also like the new songs that Killswitch Engage have put out.

Lm-sI1EB8BA
BqHJPpXmYuI

ernie
08-04-2019, 07:30 AM
New video from Lacuna Coil (my favorite Italian band) in Calgary Oct. 6. Great band. Lets get out and support these bands!

aGSed4hnEv8

Went to the New York show on the 22nd. Fantastic performance. Trying to find my way to the September show in Dallas but I don’t think I’ll be able to get away frown work.

DownInFlames
08-06-2019, 07:45 PM
Sabaton's new album is all about WW1.

xP8G-LwWNn0

The closing track is a very moving rendition (if not metal) of In Flanders Fields.

1pT50Nb7yg0

devo22
08-09-2019, 08:15 AM
the new Babymetal album will feature Alissa White-Gluz (Arch Enemy) and Joakim Broden (Sabaton) as guest vocalists, which is pretty ####ing awesome. Interested in how that will turn out.

Slipknot has a new album out today. Sounds pretty good at first glance.

Zn_VXThy5ns

FanIn80
08-09-2019, 10:17 AM

q7DfQMPmJRI

So what are everyone’s thoughts? I really like it myself.

Hemi-Cuda
08-09-2019, 02:51 PM
New live performance from Jinjer, great sound. Really hope I can make it when they're here in October

bxi3i9wzQBk

Igottago
08-09-2019, 04:17 PM
So what are everyone’s thoughts? I really like it myself.

Love it. I was nervous about what I would think given how long its been since they put anything out. But I feel like its how Tool should sound in 2019. Not exactly repeating themselves, but not a complete departure from what they were best at. As a huge fan of Lateralus and their more lengthy, hypnotic and multi-dimensional work, I'm thrilled with it. The song gets better with each listen and I can't wait for the album.

Its interesting, with the combination of time, lofty expectations of a rabid fanbase, and the way the internet is these days -- you just didn't know how this was going to work out for them. But I really think they knocked it out of the park. Most of the commentary I've seen online has been very positive and I don't think its just old Tool fans trying to convince themselves its good. Its legitimately very good.

devo22
08-09-2019, 04:22 PM
really like it as well and it's put my mind at ease a bit in terms of the new album. I've always loved Tool and obviously expectations are not exactly low when you wait this long for a new album, so yeah, I'm sure every fan has thought the same: "please don't suck". Liking the first single doesn't necessarily mean a lot but it's obviously not a bad sign.

JurassicTunga12
08-09-2019, 04:40 PM
Starting to think these guys have made my favourite Thrash Metal. Brutal, headbanging stuff.

S_7qqsVioxo

Love the bit at 1:55, and the last half of this track is just ridiculous. So good.

AC
08-09-2019, 10:32 PM
Yeah Demolition Hammer was great.

Similarly, from a year prior (1991) is one of my favourites:
OnDgcWd1tPs

savemedrzaius
08-09-2019, 11:18 PM
the new Babymetal album will feature Alissa White-Gluz (Arch Enemy) and Joakim Broden (Sabaton) as guest vocalists, which is pretty ####ing awesome. Interested in how that will turn out.

I'm going to a festival in November and Babymetal are going to be playing. I'd never heard of them before because I'm not huge into metal but excited to see them live. Another metal band that will be playing is Deafheaven. Do you guys like their stuff? I liked the musicianship on their albums but have never been a big fan of screaming singerd. Should be fun to see live though.

DownInFlames
08-10-2019, 02:47 AM
I'm going to a festival in November and Babymetal are going to be playing. I'd never heard of them before because I'm not huge into metal but excited to see them live. Another metal band that will be playing is Deafheaven. Do you guys like their stuff? I liked the musicianship on their albums but have never been a big fan of screaming singerd. Should be fun to see live though.

I’m not usually a fan of that type of singing either but Deafheaven makes it work. Their album that came out last year was really good.

I’d like to see Babymetal live. Seeing their videos they put on a great show.

savemedrzaius
08-11-2019, 05:35 AM
I’m not usually a fan of that type of singing either but Deafheaven makes it work. Their album that came out last year was really good.

I’d like to see Babymetal live. Seeing their videos they put on a great show.

For Deafheaven I started listening to their newest album and I was loving it but then the screaming started and it's just not my thing. I would never sit down and listen to it but seeing them live is completely different so I'm pumped to see them.

devo22
08-16-2019, 08:24 AM
I had no idea Killswitch Engage recorded a song with their ex-vocalist Howard Jones as a guest for the new album, that's amazing!

TQffBPCquqk

AC
08-17-2019, 03:06 AM
mmK_EQWoorM

devo22
08-23-2019, 05:58 AM
In Mourning and Insomnium dropping new songs on the same day ... today's a good day.

1c_WXKn0vUg
_ZLguQ-8w3M

devo22
08-23-2019, 06:09 AM
wow, Jinjer too ... what a day!

cn3HTdfMpOM

BurningYears
08-23-2019, 02:37 PM
I had no idea Killswitch Engage recorded a song with their ex-vocalist Howard Jones as a guest for the new album, that's amazing!

TQffBPCquqk

2N0ShfOOEq4

The video is pretty good as well.

dammage79
08-23-2019, 05:41 PM
Frickin new Insomnium!! Man I hope they dont rely too heavily on those non screaming vocals. Generally they use those melodic vocals sparingly throughout their album, I'm concerned a bit they may going a tad too In Flames-y.

Great track posted above but I winced a bit at the immediate usage of signing. Also no intro build up?

dammage79
08-23-2019, 05:47 PM
As for TOOL being over-rated, I think that's entirely circumstantial as they dont feed you enough material over the years to really chew on, we've waiting 13 years for this, there was always going to be hype and by default from that hype some sentiment of overeating.

Truth is, these guys are the Floyd of our times. Just like you can't pun them to one specific genre, you can't really put them too far down or hype them too far up, they just are what they are, you either love them or straight up hate them, very little gret area in between.

To me they are right up at the tippy top of bands that impacted my life in a good/great way. They'll always have a seat at my musical round table.

They are Iconic of their/our Era.

Also I've been starving for new TOOL for so long now I dont know what it's like to be sated anymore. Feed me TOL now!

RyZ
08-27-2019, 03:49 PM
I had never heard of them before, but a friend has been playing a bunch of Lord of the Lost lately and I have been digging it. I had to put a bunch of their songs on my workout mix. Kind of a gothic, industrial metal sound to them.

2dh58ATKrSg

ZF_4ES3Gc8I

devo22
08-28-2019, 10:13 AM
as psyched as I am for Tool this Friday ... I can't wait for this either.

a2tCE0EMUmA

Ashartus
08-29-2019, 09:01 PM
I'm looking forward to this one.

23BzcW8-zAY

DownInFlames
08-29-2019, 09:11 PM
I’m really digging this Inter Arma record. Howling Lands is my standout track but Citadel seems to be the most popular.

HabdnpT9chA

y41Vyb4tD0c

Hemi-Cuda
08-30-2019, 08:22 AM
as psyched as I am for Tool this Friday ... I can't wait for this either.

Didn't disappoint, great cover

XRD3vrSLPaw

dammage79
09-11-2019, 12:13 AM
Ooooohhhhh nelly. The New Russian Circles album "Blood Moon" is freaking amazing. So heavy. Heavier than normal for them. Great follow up listen after TOOL

Puppet Guy
09-12-2019, 10:05 AM
New single and video from Ghost. It's hilarious:

qyxrzUe_TDM

devo22
09-12-2019, 12:29 PM
awesome, a new Ghost song was about the last thing I expected. Now release the whole "7 Inches of Satanic Panic" album :D

Traditional_Ale
09-12-2019, 01:09 PM
I love reading this thread. Nice work, everyone! So much new music to check out every time I come here. Carry on, you beautiful bastards.

Erick Estrada
09-12-2019, 06:59 PM
New single and video from Ghost. It's hilarious:

qyxrzUe_TDM

Playing in the Corral in less than two weeks. Can't wait!

codynw
09-12-2019, 10:15 PM
I don't hate them or anything, but can someone explain to me what about Ghost makes them considered a metal band? Everyone calls them that and I can't see it, at all.

devo22
09-13-2019, 03:53 AM
the imagery is more metal than the music for sure. Lots of metal fans love them though.

they also released another new song today and I like that one even more:

k5mX3NkA7jM

also Insomnium and Hanging Garden dropped new songs. Solid Friday once again.

G1VnsDEHIdU

oHV_h6Phb20

Erick Estrada
09-13-2019, 06:55 AM
I don't hate them or anything, but can someone explain to me what about Ghost makes them considered a metal band? Everyone calls them that and I can't see it, at all.

You could say the same thing with Tool who also straddles the line. Metal was derived from rock music so there's always going to be some blending of the genres. They aren't heavy metal and have some songs that lean to rock but I would classify the majority of their work as a style of 80's occult or black metal with an infusion of some pop elements in some of their more commercial songs.

TheIronMaiden
09-13-2019, 11:19 AM
They borrow heavily from Metal aesthetic and themes. The sound, so to speak is not metal, but defining a band by genre is inherently flawed. If the band wants to call themselves Metal, and the fans want to, then all the power to them.

Metal is often full of gate keepers, which makes sense because it takes an elite talent to play it, and its supported by counter culture fans. However, I think that people who tell you what is or what isn't Metal/ good music are wankers.

devo22
09-13-2019, 11:23 AM
Metal is often full of gate keepers, which makes sense because it takes an elite talent to play it, and its supported by counter culture fans. However, I think that people who tell you what is or what isn't Metal/ good music are wankers.
my thoughts exactly. Excessive labeling and that 'holier than thou' aspect really piss me off a lot of times.

TheIronMaiden
09-13-2019, 11:26 AM
I recently started listening to a lot of music that I loved when I was younger. Death is one of those bands. The Sound of Perseverance is master piece, and one of the best conceptually sound Metal albums. The emotional conviction of the music is omnipresent, and it is a showcase of talent, and haunting melodies that makes up a constellation of brutality.

dgx3sp_hTJw

TheIronMaiden
09-13-2019, 12:48 PM
A couple of good Death Metal concerts coming up.

Oct 16 Immolation is coming to Dickens

Nov 2 Cannibal Corpse will be at the MacEwan Ballroom.

devo22
09-13-2019, 01:19 PM
I liked "Layers of Time" better, but this is still good.

BEb1dT62rlc

dissentowner
09-13-2019, 01:31 PM
November 27th King Diamond will be in Vancouver. If you have never seen King live you should really make the trip.

Erick Estrada
09-13-2019, 03:56 PM

BEb1dT62rlc

I'm liking the direction on this new album.

DownInFlames
09-13-2019, 04:28 PM
Playing in the Corral in less than two weeks. Can't wait!

They’re great live. First time I saw them they opened for Mastodon and I had never heard of them before. They stole the show for sure.

ernie
09-13-2019, 06:17 PM
I'm liking the direction on this new album.

Seems to be a direct evolution from Delirium...which is a good thing. I still love that album and listen to it at least once a week. They have also really found their footing live.

Erick Estrada
09-14-2019, 11:24 AM
Seems to be a direct evolution from Delirium...which is a good thing. I still love that album and listen to it at least once a week. They have also really found their footing live.

Agree it's a great album. I had the song Delirium on my mix rotation for almost a year. Simple song but very atmospheric and moody.

Hemi-Cuda
09-23-2019, 11:14 AM
Anyone into stoner rock and/or D&D should check this out

LcDpKBYbODM

Hemi-Cuda
09-23-2019, 11:27 AM
Ok these guys are awesome, this song is amazing just for the title alone

5SAC8KplNwM

Max Cow Disease
09-24-2019, 10:41 PM
Awesome Ghost show in Calgary tonight! Crowd seemed a bit lame at times but I suppose that’s to be expected. Band’s definitely entertaining live.

Erick Estrada
09-25-2019, 06:41 AM
Awesome Ghost show in Calgary tonight! Crowd seemed a bit lame at times but I suppose that’s to be expected. Band’s definitely entertaining live.

I thought the crowd was quite into it but I was on the floor near the stage so right in the thick of things. Was a very good show. One of the better ones I have been to.

Max Cow Disease
09-25-2019, 08:05 AM
I thought the crowd was quite into it but I was on the floor near the stage so right in the thick of things. Was a very good show. One of the better ones I have been to.

Yeah, I was in the seats and things always seem a little more tame from back that way I guess (I didn’t want to subject the lady friend to any goofy floor shenanigans...). Somewhat of a regret in hindsight. I could’ve been so much nearer to the Papa!

I was pleasantly surprised by the opener, as well. What the hell was that franken-instrument he was jamming on at the end?

Erick Estrada
09-25-2019, 09:30 AM
Yeah, I was in the seats and things always seem a little more tame from back that way I guess (I didn’t want to subject the lady friend to any goofy floor shenanigans...). Somewhat of a regret in hindsight. I could’ve been so much nearer to the Papa!

I was pleasantly surprised by the opener, as well. What the hell was that franken-instrument he was jamming on at the end?

The Scorpion Tail. I have to admit it was pretty neat.

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/making-scorpion-tail-nothing-mores-400-pound-14-foot-instrument

Engine09
09-25-2019, 10:57 AM
New Ghost lineup is fine but nowhere close to Meloria era guys. You can't fire the entire band without losing a bit of the magic, but they're rolling on just fine.

Fun show but I would have loved more blasphemy.

N-E-B
09-25-2019, 05:36 PM
I thought the Ghost concert was fantastic. I’m relatively new to the band (discovered them about a year and a half ago) so I can’t comment on what previous lineups were like but I was thoroughly entertained last night.

DownInFlames
09-28-2019, 12:24 PM
Opeth has English and Swedish versions of its new album.

QcMdA7Xs8jE

flamingred89
09-30-2019, 03:10 PM
Anyone going to the Amon show tomorrow at the Grey Eagle? Line up is pretty fantastic and anyone on the fence should go just because of At the Gates.

This will be my first show at the Grey Eagle and I’m someone who enjoys a beer before, during, and after shows. I’m curious what the concession situation is like? Any advice?

Erick Estrada
09-30-2019, 03:25 PM
Anyone going to the Amon show tomorrow at the Grey Eagle? Line up is pretty fantastic and anyone on the fence should go just because of At the Gates.

This will be my first show at the Grey Eagle and I’m someone who enjoys a beer before, during, and after shows. I’m curious what the concession situation is like? Any advice?

First and foremost, park near the exit. The longer walk into the building will be well worth it when you are leaving because there's only a couple of exits and things get gridlocked if you are stuck in the middle. I'm not a huge fan of the venue as it's a big rectangular room and sound isn't the greatest. Bars are on the outside of the room and you shouldn't have any issues getting beverages.

devo22
10-03-2019, 01:14 PM
new Insomnium and In Mourning albums drop tomorrow, can't wait :) and as much as I like Insomnium, I'm a bit more stoked for In Mourning.

MxSKxiPRGTI

devo22
10-05-2019, 04:16 AM
man this one is beautiful.

lxphIGLmEso

devo22
10-11-2019, 09:52 AM
FJFiVTGBh-A

wish there was more crazy #### like this on the new album. It's a really good and diverse album, but as someone who liked crazy stuff like "Song 4" the most, I hoped for even more madness :D but I guess it's not surprising that there's less over the top fun stuff now that Yui's left.

Hemi-Cuda
10-11-2019, 10:41 AM
wish there was more crazy #### like this on the new album. It's a really good and diverse album, but as someone who liked crazy stuff like "Song 4" the most, I hoped for even more madness :D but I guess it's not surprising that there's less over the top fun stuff now that Yui's left.

Album sounds great so far on first listen, I'm just annoyed that one of the best songs isn't on the international release. Looks like I'm going to have to torrent the Japan version and upload it to Google Music

6rzRUriVBqw

devo22
10-11-2019, 10:51 AM
oh ffs, that's the madness I want. This different version BS sucks ... "Syncopation" was also a killer track on the Japan version of the last album.

Engine09
10-11-2019, 10:59 AM
Alright, I can't let this go on any further, f'ing BabyMetal.

Just so I completely understand, how old are you guys and how long have you been listening to metal? If you're younger than 25 then it makes sense, but you're aware this band is pure gimmick and fabricated just like the Backstreet Boys and One Direction?

Do metal fans not care anymore? I might be too old.

devo22
10-11-2019, 11:05 AM
some of us just like to enjoy a fun group. What's the problem here? They're fun, they're different, they're diverse. Nothing's stopping you from ignoring them.

There's also a new Lacuna Coil album today, and Jinjer and Unleash the Archers have dropped new songs. Fun Friday again.

Hemi-Cuda
10-11-2019, 11:18 AM
Alright, I can't let this go on any further, f'ing BabyMetal.

Just so I completely understand, how old are you guys and how long have you been listening to metal? If you're younger than 25 then it makes sense, but you're aware this band is pure gimmick and fabricated just like the Backstreet Boys and One Direction?

Do metal fans not care anymore? I might be too old.

I think you might be, metal fans complaining about something not being metal enough is so lame. I love when bands bend metal into new genres (Devin Townsend is another great example), and Babymetal is just pure fun. Look at any of their live recordings from music festivals, I guarantee you won't find a more diverse crowd in any other rock/metal show. And there is nothing gimmicky about the Kami band, that's just an insult to the talent they have

ng8U_j0gpLI

AC
10-11-2019, 12:09 PM
I can't get past the cringe factor personally.

Metal is a genre defined by it's extreme and ridiculous caricatures, so I can see why they've gotten popular, especially in niche markets. But I can't stand them personally.

AC
10-11-2019, 12:20 PM
Meanwhile my 3 frontrunners for best death metal album of the year just recently came out:

9ohy9VV06_0

RIDy8bGLyJM

ds3gRp8IZ8c

Hemi-Cuda
10-11-2019, 12:43 PM
I can't get past the cringe factor personally.

Metal is a genre defined by it's extreme and ridiculous charactures, so I can see why they've gotten popular, especially in niche markets. But I can't stand them personally.

I feel the same about most black and death metal. I mean look at the fonts for each of the bands you just posted, each one looks like it's trying to outdo the last for most unreadable. And I've seen way too many music videos featuring 4 pale white guys with long hair in a desolate winter forest. But I have no issue with any fans that do like that stuff, different tastes and whatnot. I'm just so tired of metal fans on the internet trying to out elite each other and labeling anything outside the norm as trash

AC
10-11-2019, 03:21 PM
Yep like I said, metal is a collection of ridiculous caricatures.

Baby Metal creeps me out because it dips into the infantilization yet odd sexualization that Japan is especially known for. Makes my skin crawl.

darockwilder
10-11-2019, 04:09 PM
I feel the same about most black and death metal. I mean look at the fonts for each of the bands you just posted, each one looks like it's trying to outdo the last for most unreadable. And I've seen way too many music videos featuring 4 pale white guys with long hair in a desolate winter forest. But I have no issue with any fans that do like that stuff, different tastes and whatnot. I'm just so tired of metal fans on the internet trying to out elite each other and labeling anything outside the norm as trash

This. I see posters for a festival and I can't even figure out the names of half the bands. I'll probably like the music, but who are you?

Hemi-Cuda
10-11-2019, 04:19 PM
Yep like I said, metal is a collection of ridiculous caricatures.

Baby Metal creeps me out because it dips into the infantilization yet odd sexualization that Japan is especially known for. Makes my skin crawl.

I could understand that if you only watched their first few videos, where you're watching literal children dancing. But they ditched that school girl motif years ago when the 2nd album came out, and now they're in their 20's and nothing about their sound or image is overtly sexualized

I will say the hardcore Babymetal fans are cringe worthy and sometimes creepy. I put them in the same category as Rick & Morty, enjoy them for what they are but stay away from the fan forums

Engine09
10-11-2019, 04:26 PM
I'm honestly asking how old you guys are to understand something. Perhaps it's not such a big deal to be completely fabricated and fake, which is what BabyMetal is. A quirky idea executed by some record exec or manager who found these little girl singers and then studio musicians for the sole purpose of servicing a specific market.

The opposite of what makes the best music of all time, musicians who worked on their craft with friends and fellow musicians they were naturally drawn to within scenes. Who came out of obscurity with an incredible story, with substance and meaning to their art. People with artistic integrity.

Listen to them if you want, have fun. Just realize, BabyMetal is not to be taken seriously. :)

Hemi-Cuda
10-11-2019, 07:47 PM
I'm honestly asking how old you guys are to understand something. Perhaps it's not such a big deal to be completely fabricated and fake, which is what BabyMetal is. A quirky idea executed by some record exec or manager who found these little girl singers and then studio musicians for the sole purpose of servicing a specific market.

The opposite of what makes the best music of all time, musicians who worked on their craft with friends and fellow musicians they were naturally drawn to within scenes. Who came out of obscurity with an incredible story, with substance and meaning to their art. People with artistic integrity.

Listen to them if you want, have fun. Just realize, BabyMetal is not to be taken seriously. :)

Jesus, this post is so smug my eyes are watering. You don't get to decide what music is taken seriously, you sound like the worst kind of music snob saying BS like that. Enjoy smelling your own farts, I'll just continue to listen to whatever sounds good

https://media0.giphy.com/media/YIuj8LyKCIURa/giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a7687c4241046b2580f90ad2de13a 5e1ef4cabbc5&rid=giphy.gif

AC
10-11-2019, 10:31 PM
Maybe they aren't overtly sexualized anymore but they're still super "kawaii" and infantilized by design.

People are of course absolutely fine to like whatever they want to like... but it's also fair to critique them by saying they're manufactured, childish, and not to be taken seriously. I would argue their entire concept is based around being silly and ridiculous, so it shouldn't be shocking to see some natural pushback and criticism.

Matata
10-12-2019, 10:44 AM
I usually keep my mouth shut any Baby Metal, because "let people enjoy things", but they've never been more than cynical cash grab aimed at a creepy niche Asian market that exploded into an international gimmick band.

Erick Estrada
10-12-2019, 02:16 PM
I usually keep my mouth shut any Baby Metal, because "let people enjoy things", but they've never been more than cynical cash grab aimed at a creepy niche Asian market that exploded into an international gimmick band.

This is the path I have taken because I don't love all metal and I'm sure there are plenty of people that don't care for some of the metal I enjoy. As far as Baby Metal is concerned I simply don't care for their music. I absolutely love female fronted metal bands but they just don't appeal to me in any way from the young girls to the manufactured sound. I consider them the Spice Girls of heavy metal and I didn't like the Spice Girls either. That said I don't consider males that like them pervy or anything as people like what they like so I got no issues with their older male fans.

Hemi-Cuda
10-15-2019, 11:17 AM
Nice to see Leo getting a bit more success now, his covers have always been top notch

Ev9Sz-UJmD8

BurningYears
10-18-2019, 12:29 PM
Still cant get over this....

1kD1zubg3cA

lol

Erick Estrada
10-19-2019, 07:29 AM
LOL that's surprisingly much better than I thought it would be.

Matata
10-22-2019, 11:06 AM
I've given it a few spins now and I can now confidently say Periphery's "Hail Stan" is my favourite metal album in a number of years. It's the first album with a Djent sound that's really resonated with me (could never really get into meshuggah, animals as leaders, etc.)

It's super progressive and runs the gamut from 'emo' to 'heavy as death'. At first the emo stuff was a bit of a turn off, but it gets carried by an elite vocal performance and most of the album is super heavy, so it helps break up the wall of sound.

The vocals stand out as a highlight on the album, but everything on it is top notch: the production, song writing and elite performances from every band member.

For me the stand out tracks are: Reptile (17 minute prog-metal masterpiece), It's only smiles (emo) War Eagle & Chvrch Bvrner (heavy as death)

fQQxhyhdg-w

81MC
10-26-2019, 12:06 AM
Boy am I underwhelmed with heavy music lately. Here’s something classic for those of you who dig a gnarly riff or three.
https://youtu.be/-_unV0UPGUY

devo22
10-27-2019, 02:50 PM
fwhdn5tcFmE

Meshuggah riffing, interesting mid section, lyrics about the war in Ukraine ... powerful. Probably my favourite so far off the new album.

devo22
11-05-2019, 12:58 PM
actually it's this one that's been stuck in my head for a while now. But it's a pretty solid album all around, "Retrospection" and "Noah" are also really good.

7f353euyRno

Red Potato Standing By
11-05-2019, 05:55 PM
actually it's this one that's been stuck in my head for a while now. But it's a pretty solid album all around, "Retrospection" and "Noah" are also really good.

7f353euyRno

That is friggen awesome

dubc80
11-08-2019, 08:53 AM
Rage Against The Machine is back!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevebaltin/2019/11/01/confirmed-rage-against-the-machine-to-reunite-in-2020-headline-coachella/#6dc6774412b1

Coachella and a few other dates.

El Paso, TX, March 26, 2020
Las Cruces, NM, March 28, 2020
Phoenix, AZ, March 30, 2020
Indio, CA April 10, 2020
Indio, CA April 17, 2020

I travelled to LA to see them in 2011 as part of the LA Rising festival (w/ Muse, Rise Against) as I figured that was my last chance. They were freakin' amazing.

Seriously debating going to one of these.

Puppet Guy
11-09-2019, 10:00 AM
Just posted another track by these guys in the WAYLTRN thread, and figured they belonged here too. This is good stuff!

JnyUqYX3mZU

DownInFlames
11-09-2019, 10:19 AM
I don't know if Ozzy is considered metal these days, but I'm glad he's still putting out music.

fMAAMfHgO4Q

Erick Estrada
11-09-2019, 06:36 PM
Ozzy is arguably the pioneer of Heavy Metal when you consider Black Sabbath and his solo career.

DownInFlames
11-09-2019, 06:53 PM
Ozzy rules and there’s no doubt he and Sabbath are progenitors of metal, but his music seems to lean ”hard rock” in the past couple of decades.

Speaking of Sabbath I’m probably going to pick this up:

nlC5bqxmwfs

DownInFlames
11-11-2019, 08:10 PM
Sacred Monster write songs about horror movies. I love the singer’s growl but his falsetto isn’t great. Overall they’re a fun band.

mjx_H3ClE4Q

devo22
11-14-2019, 10:44 AM
I don't know if Ozzy is considered metal these days, but I'm glad he's still putting out music.

fMAAMfHgO4Qabsolutely love this one. Somehow feels like Ozzys "Hurt", which is a really sad thought.

Itse
11-14-2019, 12:12 PM
My friends at Hanging Garden are about to release their sixth album, 'Into the Good Night'. Albums out tomorrow, but I've heard it already and it's really good stuff. Which isn't surprising because all their stuff has been just excellent of late. I really love their sound.

Three singles/videos already from the new album. I think the first one is my favourite. Or maybe the second. In any case I love the atmosphere, emotional and melancholic.

oHV_h6Phb20

dbFqTqemgN0

YAFzoCb_52c

BurningYears
11-14-2019, 12:22 PM
Since we are on a Ozzy kick. this is still one of my favorites:

G3LvhdFEOqs

devo22
11-14-2019, 12:29 PM
My friends at Hanging Garden are about to release their sixth album, 'Into the Good Night'. Albums out tomorrow, but I've heard it already and it's really good stuff. Which isn't surprising because all their stuff has been just excellent of late. I really love their sound.
hell yeah Itse! I thought I was the only one here who loves them. They deserve so much more attention and success. Can't wait for the new one, really liked "I Am Become" and especially "Blackout Whiteout".

This one's my favourite of them though. And "Ennen".

AM5SpMchuyw

Matata
11-14-2019, 12:31 PM

G3LvhdFEOqs

I compulsively watch this video any time I see it posted. It's always bitter sweet, Randy was Ozzy's guitar soul mate. Ozzy still gets choked up thinking about Randy and what could have been.

DownInFlames
11-14-2019, 03:34 PM
I compulsively watch this video any time I see it posted. It's always bitter sweet, Randy was Ozzy's guitar soul mate. Ozzy still gets choked up thinking about Randy and what could have been.

I wish I got to see Randy play live. Ozzy was supposed to come to Calgary but cancelled after the accident. Ten-year-old me was so bummed.

Itse
11-15-2019, 02:59 AM
hell yeah Itse! I thought I was the only one here who loves them. They deserve so much more attention and success. Can't wait for the new one, really liked "I Am Become" and especially "Blackout Whiteout".

This one's my favourite of them though. And "Ennen".

AM5SpMchuyw

'Ennen' is a favorite of mine too :)

Obviously I'm a bit biased as I know Toni (vocals) and Nino (keyboards) from the Helsinki larp scene (not like we're super close or anything), but I would never advertise bands I don't think are genuinely worth listening.

I actually only tuned into Hanging Garden this year. I knew of them through mutual friends almost from the start, but since I wasn't into their first couple of albums I kind of ignored them for a long time. Shame on me I guess. Now I'm quite looking forward to seeing them alive.

Erick Estrada
11-15-2019, 07:03 AM

BEb1dT62rlc

After listening to Black Anima heavily for the last month I can conclude that this is a fantastic metal album. It's a dark and heavy banger that's relentless from beginning to end without any of the Sirius Octane grade ballads we see from a lot of metal bands these days. 2019 has been a great year for metal music and this one is one of the best albums I've listened to.

ernie
11-18-2019, 12:02 PM
After listening to Black Anima heavily for the last month I can conclude that this is a fantastic metal album. It's a dark and heavy banger that's relentless from beginning to end without any of the Sirius Octane grade ballads we see from a lot of metal bands these days. 2019 has been a great year for metal music and this one is one of the best albums I've listened to.

IMO they hit it out the park on both Delirium and Black Anima. Though a couple of songs on Black Anima need a different mix to bring the vocals a bit more up front.

Erick Estrada
11-20-2019, 10:45 AM
I saw In Flames at The Palace last night and I thought they put on a great show. They played a lot of songs and surprisingly a lot of their older material. They have never been one of my go-to bands but over the year they have accumulated a lot of good songs and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

flamingred89
11-20-2019, 04:49 PM
Glad you enjoyed the show. I unfortunately couldn’t make it last night but have seen them several times before. Agreed that they usually put on a great show and Anders is a heck of a frontman. Their new material seems to rub “diehards” the wrong way, but I will always think of them fondly. Whoracle and Clayman were gateway drugs for me to dive into Melodic death and all of the great scenes in Europe.

Esoteric
11-24-2019, 12:02 PM
Went to Ensiferum and Kalmah last night at Dickens.
Great show, though Dickens was absolutely jammed pack (at Immolation, there was a lot more room to move around). The pit was crazy, but I'm getting a bit old to constantly get bumped around, so I pulled back a bit and still had a great view. The sound was good live for both bands.

I used to listen to both of these bands ~15 years ago, and it was a blast to see that they're still playing. A ton of fun live.

flamingred89
11-24-2019, 03:21 PM
Was at the show last night too. Kalmah and Ensiferum were excellent as usual. It was a shame about Abigail Williams missing their guitarist as I definitely think that hurt their performance.

Dickens was packed. Almost to the point where I thought they were over code. Love to see that kind of turnout for great bands , but shows the need for more smaller venues in Calgary. Something in between a Dickens and The Palace.

Erick Estrada
11-25-2019, 09:50 AM
Was at the show last night too. Kalmah and Ensiferum were excellent as usual. It was a shame about Abigail Williams missing their guitarist as I definitely think that hurt their performance.

Dickens was packed. Almost to the point where I thought they were over code. Love to see that kind of turnout for great bands , but shows the need for more smaller venues in Calgary. Something in between a Dickens and The Palace.

In regards to Dickens they are really just making the best out of a basement bar. It's not really ideal for anything over half full because there's obstructed sightlines and the stage is tiny. Right now I would have to say the Palace is my favorite place to see a concert in this city.

Esoteric
11-25-2019, 01:59 PM

That was a shame that they missed their guitarist. I still enjoyed the set, but you could tell something was missing.

I agree with the overcrowded assessment - Dickens was extremely packed. I would have liked a bigger venue for this show as well. If Alestorm played the palace, I probably could have gotten a ticket to that show as well!

Textcritic
11-27-2019, 09:32 AM
A new Kvelertak single was released today.

vTrmHnwg36I

New lead singer Ivar Nioklaisen sounds pretty good.

The new album, "Splid," is coming 14 February.

devo22
11-27-2019, 09:37 AM
interesting, didn't know they changed singers. Really liked 1985 and some other stuff on Nattesferd.

Textcritic
11-27-2019, 09:39 AM
interesting, didn't know they changed singers. Really liked 1985 and some other stuff on Nattesferd.

I loved Nattesferd, but the new single sounds like a bit of a nod back to older stuff of theirs from their self-titled album.

dissentowner
11-27-2019, 10:49 AM
Just a reminder King Diamond plays in Vancouver tonight, saw the Detroit show and it a great one!

AC
11-27-2019, 02:05 PM
Not digging the new Kvelertak vocalist. Too bad, their self titled album is killer.

BurningYears
11-27-2019, 02:44 PM
Ran into this song on my shuffle today and thought I would share since its easily one of my favorites ybKifd3J0NI

PaperBagger'14
11-30-2019, 12:27 AM
What was the first song that got you into metal? I've been thinking about this for a while and I always believed it was dragula, but it came much earlier.

I've played video games since I was about 5 years old, with some of the earliest being super mario 3, super mario world and f zero. Well I recently bought f zero and a SNES and holy ####balls was that a soundtrack. The music to the tracks Big Blue and Mute City were top notch.

zE15twStdiY
REdRAlPysSU

Now put them together to a metal edge:

xN-JC4wRGRU

dissentowner
11-30-2019, 06:53 PM
The song that got me into metal was The Four Horsemen by Metallica.

Inferno
11-30-2019, 07:31 PM
One from Metallica was mine.

missdpuck
11-30-2019, 07:39 PM
Death is one of my favorite bands..

Chuck was a lovely guy. I miss him (hey we all do) and wonder what might have been.

Almost did a project with him as I’m a classically trained vocalist who can sing lots of other stuff.

He wanted to do more melodic stuff.

One of the best things to come out of Florida. RIP
Chuck.

Dec 13 is always sad .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devo22
12-01-2019, 06:03 AM
Metallica for me too. Used to hang out with a cousin of mine a lot and he used to "borrow" his older brother's Metallica CDs back then. That was in the mid 90s, which might explain why I like "Load" and "Reload" better than most Metallica fans lol.

Puppet Guy
12-01-2019, 09:35 AM
It was less a song and more of a video/interview for me (although the song didnt' hurt). I was up past my bedtime one night because my parents had company over, and figured I'd see what was on TV. This was in the days of three channels so my choices were news, news or The New Music. One of the featured performers on TNM that week was Motorhead. My pre-teen brain sees Lemmy up on stage barking into a microphone and beating the crap out of his bass to Ace of Spades and thinks "this is weird...but strangely cool!". No coming back from that.

...and here's the interview!

CbmYf2XWCOQ

Hemi-Cuda
12-01-2019, 02:03 PM
First time I saw this video it broke my 12 year old brain, never been the same since

E0E0ynyIUsg

Erick Estrada
12-02-2019, 06:49 AM
First time I saw this video it broke my 12 year old brain, never been the same since

E0E0ynyIUsg

White Zombie was great. I liked some of the early Rob Zombie stuff but I wish the original band stuck together.

devo22
12-02-2019, 02:57 PM
took me a while until it hit me, but this album has me hooked right now. Really good effort again ... also love the female vocals on a number of songs. Is that the same vocalist that did "Ennen"?

This one's my favorite so far I think, although "Rain" is awesome too.

QNeQ86vq2ro

habernac
12-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Black Sabbath in 81/82. Someone cranked up Paranoid and changed everything.

DownInFlames
12-03-2019, 02:56 PM
My friend played Blizzard of Ozz for me when it came out and I was hooked.

8sPOT
12-03-2019, 04:15 PM
The 'And Justice for All' album in general got me into Metal as a kid, but specifically the opening track..Blackened...still my fave Metallica song to this day.

My cousin and I would sit in his room and listen to this album just in awe.

DU_ggFovJNo

devo22
12-06-2019, 01:25 PM
yesterday was Krampus day over here, which gives me the excuse to post this :D

MhLDxRQyhnE

Puppet Guy
12-06-2019, 01:57 PM
^^^^ I'm continuing the chain...

5a5fHMlb4V0

PaperBagger'14
12-09-2019, 06:16 PM
A staple at the Bagger house every year (some swearing):

od7GUy9XS7c

PaperBagger'14
12-22-2019, 03:54 PM
Thy Art is Murder and Fit for an Autopsy are playing I believe April next year at Dickens. Theres like 3 or 4 other bands as well, should be an all day all night show!

JurassicTunga12
12-24-2019, 10:34 AM
cYM7UZclvOI

ZlBXd6FE2ic

XJkgf8lU_ds

Happy Holidays!

Erick Estrada
12-24-2019, 03:27 PM
I don't know how many people know but Scott Weiland actually put out a full christmas album.

EojN6r2VSR4

Puppet Guy
12-28-2019, 09:53 AM
Lemmy died, and the world started to suck. Coincidence? I think not!

https://media.makeameme.org/created/lemmy-thats-it.jpg

devo22
01-23-2020, 01:16 PM
went to see "Viva the Underdogs" yesterday and thought it was pretty fun. Not a Parkway Drive fan by any means, just I saw them once or twice at festivals when I waited for other bands with a beer in my hand. Will probably listen to some of their stuff now and see if something sticks.

They've also released a song in German now and they have my utmost respect for that. Well done.

Huag2s7UPXg

Erick Estrada
01-23-2020, 06:01 PM
Ha ha. The english version of this song was on my favorites playlist for a while and it translates surprisingly well to German.

devo22
01-26-2020, 06:58 AM
well, down the rabbit hole I go again.

CbI79e5iZKs

dammage79
01-26-2020, 03:11 PM
went to see "Viva the Underdogs" yesterday and thought it was pretty fun. Not a Parkway Drive fan by any means, just I saw them once or twice at festivals when I waited for other bands with a beer in my hand. Will probably listen to some of their stuff now and see if something sticks.

They've also released a song in German now and they have my utmost respect for that. Well done.

Huag2s7UPXg

Deep Blue is an absolute must have album for any metal collection. Atlas too. Parkway Drive hits hard. Love them.

GreatWhiteEbola
02-01-2020, 02:57 AM
cF2hIrXq2ss

Hemi-Cuda
02-03-2020, 09:12 AM
New Candlemass sounds pretty good

OUp4tSTPU1I

Hemi-Cuda
02-03-2020, 09:35 AM
Youtube just randomly suggested this to me right after Candlemass, and damn I think I have a new favorite band now. Ukraine is just killing it lately in the world of metal

0RBR7GvNYv0

6KOXbzMRQHs

devo22
02-03-2020, 01:33 PM
"I can't believe it's not Lacuna Coil!" ;)

EDIT: oh, and of course they toured together last summer :D makes sense.

Hemi-Cuda
02-03-2020, 02:38 PM
"I can't believe it's not Lacuna Coil!" ;)

Without the annoying male vocalist that takes up half the song. They also dive into the symphonic side more than LC does

kE2_t9lXHio

Hemi-Cuda
02-04-2020, 12:59 PM
So good

4Mg7fbki-gA

Hemi-Cuda
02-04-2020, 02:05 PM
Not sold on the English rap vocalist, but everything else in this video is awesome

Gsy5sJy5_34

devo22
02-04-2020, 04:43 PM
I'm still on a bit of a Japan binge. Really like Ningen Isu, you can hear a lot of Sabbath in them.

CLoUY1kA4ZY

also started to get into Maximum the Hormone. Bit hit or miss for me, but some really good stuff too.

EgDSwOjBIAw

devo22
02-07-2020, 03:11 PM
German metalcore band Heaven Shall Burn are releasing a new double album in March. The new stuff sounds good, can't wait.

IvytvMgUpis

c0JyybdXIPQ

devo22
02-27-2020, 11:52 AM
new Trivium album coming in April. First single:

lNgyzREsaAA

troutman
02-27-2020, 11:53 AM
https://scontent.fyyc2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/s960x960/88013811_1450115635167969_6145295196310470656_o.jp g?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=b386c4&_nc_ohc=rGuTs-vmbfQAX_5m0Y9&_nc_ht=scontent.fyyc2-1.fna&_nc_tp=7&oh=57f29d55b41a0a49d3538e1032d76f78&oe=5EB7EF93

Hemi-Cuda
02-28-2020, 08:28 AM
Really looking forward to Ignea's new album. Single just came out today

NnV9vpEit6E

Ukraine seems to have cornered the female vocalist with angelic/demonic voice market

Hemi-Cuda
02-28-2020, 08:54 AM
I'm still on a bit of a Japan binge. Really like Ningen Isu, you can hear a lot of Sabbath in them.

CLoUY1kA4ZY

I was listening to this in the background doing other stuff. Then that monster riff drops around the 3 minute mark and I had to stop and give it my full attention. I'm hooked now

AC
02-29-2020, 09:08 PM

Please tell me you know of Church of Misery. Japanese doom metal with heavy Black Sabbath influences / references. They just played at Dickens too and were incredible!

HYHb42yTIqo
OTY1KbA0YiA

Hemi-Cuda
03-03-2020, 01:55 PM
Maori and metal are such an awesome mix that I'm honestly surprised these kids are the first to do it

5kwIkF6LFDc

BurningYears
03-04-2020, 11:05 AM
If you have epilepsy. do not watch.

if you love good thrash metal with bass solos. do watch

BAYxQaSgH2U

devo22
03-07-2020, 06:44 AM
The Hu did a song for an EA Star Wars game it seems. Too bad this isn't on Spotify, really like this one, especially the final 3 minutes or so.

oJZfEh3EciU

missdpuck
03-19-2020, 02:44 PM
Maori and metal are such an awesome mix that I'm honestly surprised these kids are the first to do it

5kwIkF6LFDc

Oh jeez love those guys

I like that French band Gojira as well.

When I read they were from Bayonne I immediately thought NJ.

AC
03-19-2020, 02:53 PM
The new Igorrr album is going to be amazing/ridiculous.

tZ3KObtDaGw
Osqf4oIK0E8
urU5JS4Eb-k

nik-
03-20-2020, 11:30 PM
Anyone listen to Mgla?

I quite like their latest album

zgUyt-T36Y0

Boblobla
03-23-2020, 08:56 AM
The best part of working from home in my basement is being able to listen to louder music while I am working and listen to a lot more music.

Children of Bodom Blooddrunk is a ####ing awesome album.

dissentowner
03-23-2020, 06:44 PM
The best part of working from home in my basement is being able to listen to louder music while I am working and listen to a lot more music.

Children of Bodom Blooddrunk is a ####ing awesome album.

Follow The Reaper is my fav Bodom album

Boblobla
03-24-2020, 08:33 AM
Follow The Reaper is my fav Bodom album

Thanks for this. I have been on a metalcore kick recently and this album is an awesome break from that.

darockwilder
03-29-2020, 01:12 PM
The new Igorrr album is going to be amazing/ridiculous.

tZ3KObtDaGw
Osqf4oIK0E8
urU5JS4Eb-k

That is some interesting stuff. That last one I really like, and I watched some live stuff that was pretty awesome too. That would be a great concert.... at some point in the future.

Traditional_Ale
03-29-2020, 02:07 PM
The Hu did a song for an EA Star Wars game it seems. Too bad this isn't on Spotify, really like this one, especially the final 3 minutes or so.

oJZfEh3EciU

:w00t:

That is fantastic! Sounds like it could of been in an episode of Vikings.

devo22
03-29-2020, 04:56 PM
vEhxuNuHWls

missdpuck
03-29-2020, 06:39 PM
oops!

BurningYears
04-06-2020, 04:20 PM
lXGSLKWeVwE

Covid-19 central.

dammage79
04-06-2020, 04:38 PM
So Poppy is a metal singer now. Don't know who poppy is? Weird AF, that's who she is. Anywho, she's touring with Gojira and Deftones this summer. Think of her as Babymetal meets Manson meets bubble gum pop. It's all absurd but fascinating given were she was 2 to 5 years ago.

Definitely a trip down the rabbit hole if you choose to brush up on Poppy. I generally find her salad fingers level of disturbing. But worth checking out.

devo22
04-06-2020, 05:07 PM
So Poppy is a metal singer now. Don't know who poppy is? Weird AF, that's who she is. Anywho, she's touring with Gojira and Deftones this summer. Think of her as Babymetal meets Manson meets bubble gum pop. It's all absurd but fascinating given were she was 2 to 5 years ago.

Definitely a trip down the rabbit hole if you choose to brush up on Poppy. I generally find her salad fingers level of disturbing. But worth checking out.
yup, only found out about her a couple of weeks ago and got hooked. Really good album, weird and fascinating AF. There's a Manson/NIN vibe to a lot of the songs that I really like. And I always appreciate genre-mixing chaos so I shouldn't be too surprised that I actually like it.

Inferno
04-06-2020, 07:20 PM
I only know of her because she's performed a couple of times on NXT.

Erick Estrada
04-07-2020, 06:42 AM

I posted this in one of the other music threads months back as I wasn't sure what to make of this but it's grown on me. IMO her new album is actually pretty good. Heavy metal with a bit of pop fluff which isn't for everyone but at the same time there's some untapped creativity here that is fascinating. I'm not sure what the long term shelf life is for this type of music but in small doses I actually find it quite entertaining to listen to. Personally I feel she could probably shed the whole pop transition thing and go all heavy metal as she can sing, has some presence, and the band sounds tight.

6gmswmbosYo

izePLzAbc40

wbQsxWKfTSU

devo22
04-07-2020, 08:34 AM
yeah we'll see, after this album there's a number of directions that she could go. But she's with a good metal label now (Sumerian Records), which doesn't hurt.

either way, in a time where many metal bands gravitate to mainstream I do appreciate acts that pull out the UNO reverse card, so to speak. I've seen Youtube comments like "wth, we live in a world where Poppy is actually heavier than Bring Me The Horizon" ... ain't that the truth.

Hemi-Cuda
04-08-2020, 11:38 AM
I had no idea synthwave pirate metal was a thing, or that it would be so catchy

c4LNJfFjEvw

AC
04-09-2020, 12:21 AM
They're generally right on the border of being too ridiculous for their own good, but they have some pretty great catchy songs:

ta-Z_psXODw
-r8jlHDBMsw
f55CqLc6IR0

IgnitedSoul
04-11-2020, 04:28 AM
https://66.media.tumblr.com/58dd376d9f3812bc27073ed2340b6a0e/27abd6b8cb4e1779-15/s540x810/b5a04725fed3c0a2bf660bc1d23836e2262eed8c.png
https://66.media.tumblr.com/e55173c6fefc38829d6a1260abae7bb4/27abd6b8cb4e1779-5c/s540x810/8c47f707bba5f4f86c38d590e0cd28ed66437182.png (https://www.instagram.com/p/g6MX2xOKZ0/)

Alestorm has been to Canada through November a few times :)

AC
04-12-2020, 03:32 PM
One of my favourite bands finally finished re-recording and re-releasing their old albums that were being held captive by their previous label.

4IAauFbG1Cc
fMRGkebwcHc
8RUFJDyavsM

Lots of sax and flute which both work great for them.

Mass_nerder
04-12-2020, 07:49 PM
This is super old, but I can't get enough Black Breath lately.
0zPSbJUmBeM

AC
04-13-2020, 02:33 AM
Their downtuned Entombed-style guitars are killer.

My favourites:
G2JAgbjJLFk
9hkuDpd1JYU

Love the long scream he lets out to end the song.

81MC
04-13-2020, 03:23 PM

G3LvhdFEOqs

Man, so good. I try not to be ‘that guy’, but 99.999% of the last few decades doesn’t even touch this.

8sPOT
04-14-2020, 12:36 PM
Sylosis had a new album out in January called "Cycle of Suffering". I had not heard much of their music at all but wow I can't stop listening to this whole album, they write some awesome riffs. Here's a couple great tracks:

/dZDd-MwuvcM

/bvNL5K-xF2k

Senator Clay Davis
04-14-2020, 02:57 PM
Haven't listened to this one in a while, but holy #### the transition at 1:52 and the riff at 1:57 absolutely own your soul

rkNbTS7uhLE

nik-
04-16-2020, 12:12 AM
Theie downtuned Entombed-style guitars are killer.

My favourites:
G2JAgbjJLFk
9hkuDpd1JYU

Love the long scream he lets out to end the song.

This is relevant to my interests.

nik-
04-16-2020, 12:17 AM
I brought up Mgla earlier, but watching their drummer work is fun as hell. Also the drummer of Kriegsmaschine. Typically I find "the look" of these bands cheesy as hell, but the fully blacked out drummer in the background kind of does it for me too.

wcsTJ1n2jkE

Mass_nerder
04-16-2020, 09:44 AM
Disfear :wub:
2LbH84nwtcQ

devo22
04-16-2020, 04:12 PM
wDcSigYUYZQ

Hemi-Cuda
04-20-2020, 10:03 AM
I was perhaps looking forward to the Doom Eternal soundtrack more than the actual game itself, and it does not disappoint

Cu61qgp6XoE

X-f0F-5Slb0

AC
04-20-2020, 10:00 PM
Too bad they ####ed him over and mixed it badly instead of letting him to do it again.

https://www.criticalhit.net/gaming/doom-eternals-officially-released-soundtrack-is-a-poorly-mixed-mess-that-composer-mick-gordon-barely-had-a-hand-in/

Doesn't sound like he'd come back for a 3rd game.

8sPOT
04-21-2020, 07:22 PM
That latest Trivium single "Amongst the Shadows and the Stones" is a banger. This album is shaping up to be one of their best 🤘🏽

devo22
04-22-2020, 07:50 AM

5kwIkF6LFDc
these kids have a bright future indeed. Great live band too, hope to catch them live at some point too (if there's a future where we can attend concerts again, of course :D).

1Fke9abc9TE

Boblobla
04-24-2020, 02:38 PM
New Trivium album today. Amongst The Shadows & The Stones is an awesome song.

Hemi-Cuda
04-30-2020, 12:34 PM
Ignea just dropped their new album on Youtube

2xGPTaiFrMk

First 2 tracks are fantastic, looking forward to having the time for a full listen

JurassicTunga12
05-02-2020, 08:47 PM
Any fans of the Canadian Thrash Metal band RAZOR here? Currently listening to them again. SO GOOD. One of my favourites in the genre, easily.

Here's the badass first track from their album 'Violent Restitution'.
KG8vn30cS-E

missdpuck
05-13-2020, 05:06 AM
Chuck Schuldiner of Death would’ve been 53 today.

RIP my friend.

AC
05-13-2020, 05:36 AM
Chuck Schuldiner of Death would’ve been 53 today.

RIP my friend.

Have you seen the Death by Metal documentary?
e_05_3vQYCI

My biggest takeway outside of how awesome Death was, was that Otto from the Simpsons seems to have been named after some random metalhead in Florida.

Otto Mann: sound engineer / bus driver.

devo22
05-13-2020, 02:42 PM
6o6k-k9bets

Erick Estrada
05-13-2020, 05:58 PM
Tatiana is so talented. I wish she would to more clean vocals as there's a little too much cookie monster in her growls which IMO are pretty generic outside of the fact they come from the vocal cords of a female.

Puppet Guy
05-14-2020, 10:03 AM
Alestorm has come along with a new video to save my day! Curse of the Crystal Coconut coming in two weeks!

749wEN2cuFA

JurassicTunga12
05-14-2020, 10:58 AM
I have a metal playlist of my favourites on spotify(Pretty much a collection of stuff like Black/Death/Thrash/Heavy/Doom/Speed metal). It's over 2k tracks. Check it out if you use spotify.
Hope you find something new!

Shuffle and enjoy.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6ywsGsIVKYyApycIBOhQaT?si=VJCinybaTjWn9VVym7M-Ag

Let me know what you think!
edit: I also add to it pretty well daily, so if you like that kind of stuff, give it a follow!

Puppet Guy
05-16-2020, 10:11 AM
Ronnie James Dio transcended this world ten years ago today. When he left this world he found himself in Hell. As Satan himself sat on his dark throne, Ronnie strode right up, looked him in the eye and said "you're in my seat".

vOyFE-1LAI0

81MC
05-16-2020, 11:16 AM
Well, I know who I’m spinning today.

8sPOT
05-19-2020, 02:29 PM
Avatar dropped a new single from their upcoming album 'Hunter Gatherer' out in August.

'Silence in the Age of Apes'

As a big Avatar fan I'm loving this darker and heavier turn they said they would take:
/qBlb8TTO0c8

BurningYears
05-20-2020, 10:00 AM
Ronnie James Dio transcended this world ten years ago today. When he left this world he found himself in Hell. As Satan himself sat on his dark throne, Ronnie strode right up, looked him in the eye and said "you're in my seat".

vOyFE-1LAI0

DIO!

here are some goodies

uWAhd4KkVUU
x3tevhOkHM8
AG5uRzpWpt4

devo22
05-22-2020, 12:57 PM
just discovered this band. Gives me Insomnium vibes at times with some of those melodies.

nLae9MXXG0E

Puppet Guy
05-22-2020, 06:56 PM
Voivod just went and made this song MORE metal by adding a brass section to the remix! It works in a weird way.

iv321MReYW4

AC
05-22-2020, 07:16 PM
Voivod just went and made this song MORE metal by adding a brass section to the remix! It works in a weird way.

Love it. Trumpets, sax, and other similar brass instruments are pretty great in metal.

Some recent examples:
sEvMpaMA8EE
hxu5XYLkE2Q
N6_WKGTeWH8
ZokXGKcpokQ
I8Xq9enRx18

BurningYears
06-01-2020, 02:41 PM
Metal Injection had a giant show over the weekend. I'm starting the video at my favorite of the bunch Darkest Hour and they killed:

bs19f6tPc5E?t=14372

devo22
06-04-2020, 12:05 PM
vVDXTFeGYwc

damn this girl is good. Both her cleans and growls are amazing.

Hemi-Cuda
06-04-2020, 09:03 PM
Well now I'm disappointed to learn that they don't have a full album out yet. Will have to keep an eye on them

Hemi-Cuda
06-04-2020, 09:09 PM
The breakdown at 2:30 is intense

yht0WDdzGJM

devo22
06-15-2020, 12:32 PM
new Haken album coming in July. Can't wait, the singles have been fantastic!

4EmbYo65Pbs

2Rkx6b5vFdQ

8sPOT
06-15-2020, 01:19 PM
Another single dropped from the upcoming Avatar album (Hunter Gatherer due out Aug. 7)

I love these guys.

God of Sick Dreams
/ZIs5E4BdeZY

Hemi-Cuda
06-22-2020, 01:26 PM
The new Lamb of God does not disappoint. My only critique after listening to Routes is why the hell have they not collaborated with Chuck sooner?

nYZLs0Wg2so

Hemi-Cuda
06-22-2020, 01:33 PM
I had also completely forgotten about Demons & Wizards (Blind Guardian/Iced Earth side project) until finding out they just released a new album. Hansi is still one of the best vocalists in heavy metal

frMkdkCV2D0

dammage79
06-22-2020, 11:19 PM
RzloqSQ6_fg

3wDw-W9S0j4

noApRfRztHs

x2nZ3n8_e3k

Some tracks I cannot stop listening to lately. New DevilDriver, who knew...

Vintersea has some slick things going on, I encourage a deeper delve into them.

Hemi-Cuda
06-23-2020, 08:28 AM
RzloqSQ6_fg

Vintersea has some slick things going on, I encourage a deeper delve into them.

That video was such a tease. I was completely hooked until it transitioned into the black metal sound, unfortunately that style does absolutely nothing for me. She is insanely beautiful though

devo22
06-23-2020, 09:29 AM
unfortunately that style does absolutely nothing for me. She is insanely beautiful though
pretty much my thoughts. YT recommended them to me a while ago (since I'm into a lot of female-fronted bands), but I couldn't really get into it.

dammage79
06-23-2020, 12:17 PM
That video was such a tease. I was completely hooked until it transitioned into the black metal sound, unfortunately that style does absolutely nothing for me. She is insanely beautiful though

Thats probably where we differ, I find their melodic build ups a little off but their drops into black metal are awesome.

Even her melodies are off kilter and then when you least expect it this demon comes spewing out of her mouth from nowhere. Absolutely love it. And yeah it helps that she is easy on the eyes.

A lot of things I don't like about them like stage presence and a little too focused on her looks in videos but the sound is very interesting to me.

One thing that had me hooked is the Asian influence in her melodic vocals in that video in particular, something I didn't know I'd like in metal.

They're relatively new so some more polishing up is inevitable but I enjoy the foundation they have going on.

darockwilder
07-02-2020, 04:27 PM
RA9jknv0Ki4

See, now for me this is more my speed. The clean vocals just added in a bit. That other song seemed like 5 minutes of build up to the heavier part. If I hadn't know it was coming I would likely have stopped listening. I do like the diversity she adds.

Hemi-Cuda
07-03-2020, 08:38 AM
New Spiritbox track released today, some meaty hooks in this. Really like the range in her low vocals

cWE0sSZ9yLc

devo22
07-03-2020, 01:16 PM
I hear a lot of Meshuggah in that track, which is always a huge "W" in my book. Hope there's an album at some point.

AC
07-03-2020, 01:32 PM
The new Boris is awesome.

6Mku_c0Q2oU
a4wBnsP1Gy8

Hemi-Cuda
07-15-2020, 02:00 PM
New Unleash The Archers single today

_yFH-O05uS0

8sPOT
07-17-2020, 09:27 AM
The 3rd single off of Avatar’s upcoming album Hunter Gatherer. This song is my favorite so far...
mLMCsFjawNU

darockwilder
07-17-2020, 03:37 PM
WgE-_MLdoLw

This is one guy. And a drum machine I guess.

AC
07-19-2020, 09:21 AM
Pig Destroyer just put out a music video for an EP they have coming up. The video is all goofy fan submitted clips, and they used my burning skull rendering as the intro which I found pretty neato.

XCCQruCU3bU

devo22
07-24-2020, 07:48 AM
new Haken album is excellent!

26gDUjMxgXw

Esoteric
07-24-2020, 09:51 AM
Any recommendations for albums/artists similar to Dissection's "Storm of the Light's Bane"?

Been checking out a few other artists and albums from this link here - https://www.sputnikmusic.com/list.php?memberid=1046176&listid=172290

I always find it's better to get first hand reviews (or the find newer stuff, as this list caps out 90s/early 2000s)

DownInFlames
07-25-2020, 10:30 AM
I'm really feeling Code Orange's mix of hardcore, industrial and metal.

Ctn14oYz0qA

Ashartus
07-25-2020, 12:51 PM
Not sure they still count as metal but I think the new Katatonia album is their best yet.

nQaN2elJ-dQ

devo22
08-05-2020, 08:16 AM
Gojira are back!

iqrMFNMgVS0

AC
08-05-2020, 06:30 PM
So are Anaal Nathrakh!

Maybe their best use of clean vocals for a chorus yet:
OwG0J78ibMw

Erick Estrada
08-07-2020, 09:25 PM
In Flames is releasing a remastered version of Clayman on August 28. Also included is a re-recording of; Bullet Ride, Pinball Map, Only For the Weak, and Clayman. I'm really liking the Claman re-recording of Clayman as it's aged well.

pY-KFWxB_00

devo22
08-11-2020, 06:56 AM
oh boy.

fh6ResCBg3c

Hemi-Cuda
08-11-2020, 08:34 AM
I'm normally not a fan of only low vocal or growls, but there's something about her that just clicks with me. Plus the riff in that track is just so ridiculously meaty, I can't get enough of it

8sPOT
08-12-2020, 07:12 PM
Was away in the woods camping but the new Avatar album, Hunter Gatherer, in my opinion, is amazing. As a live band these guys are top notch among any act out there, and they have that weird unique Avatar sound I can't get enough of.

Couple stand out tracks for me:

A little Corey Taylor cameo here...
/3iFyMz6LE6Y

Currently my favourite track on the album:
/TlLN132Agww

Everyone finds cheese in morning traffic:
/5nw0c4ZJxIg

Faust
08-13-2020, 10:10 PM
Banger Films and Secret Location Debut the First-Ever 360° Virtual Reality Music Festival Documentary, Welcome to Wacken

NSFW with language at the start of the video clip:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170727006342/en/Banger-Films-Secret-Location-Debut-First-Ever-360°

PaperBagger'14
08-14-2020, 04:25 PM
This is for sure this bands first nomination in this thread, and I'm honestly slightly embarrassed to post it. Its actually good and hits what is probably some of the softest metal out there. Just released today:

X57qD_LTRgY

Erick Estrada
08-15-2020, 06:19 PM
I know I'm not supposed to like it because it's Nickelback but it's not bad.

devo22
08-21-2020, 06:01 AM
new Deftones song is fantastic! I like that better than anything on "Gore" (which was still decent).

KUDbj0oeAj0

album comes out on September 25.

Matata
08-21-2020, 09:23 AM
Mastodon is a band I've been interested in for a while but only got into recently. Really solid stoner metal with great song writing and no BS. Having 3 lead singers really helps keep their sound fresh, even though 2 of them sound like Ozzy and the other sounds like Phil Anselmo.

HDjKC_DjsWo

AC
08-22-2020, 02:26 AM
They're pretty much the leaders when it comes to modern accessible progressive metal.

I do miss their early sound though as well:
TsdIO8RHMTc
Qtk1O7Fwtg8

devo22
08-22-2020, 03:27 AM
new Unleash the Archers album came out yesterday. Don't really like it too much so far ... Brittney Slayes is amazing and some of the songs are decent, but I feel they completely effed up the production. Guitars are mixed down way too much in favour of keyboards, don't think they did themselves a favour with that. Certainly hasn't wowed me off the bat like "Apex" did, but maybe it'll come with time. Still, like I said - some pretty good songs on there.

aJAJb8SOxd4

Matata
08-22-2020, 08:58 AM
They're pretty much the leaders when it comes to modern accessible progressive metal.

I do miss their early sound though.

I couldn't get into Leviathan when it came out, I thought it suffered from the classic metal problem of everyone wanting to sound as brutal as possible, but as a whole it sounds like a mud. I've since come to realise it sounds really good when played loud as hell, but I do find myself preferring the later half of their career where they're a more refined product

Puppet Guy
08-25-2020, 12:21 PM
This could be very, very cool:

DIO ANNOUNCES 'HOLY DIVER' GRAPHIC NOVEL, EXPLAINS THE ARTWORK OF THE CLASSIC ALBUM
Posted on Aug 25, 2020
Z2 Comics is proud to present the Holy Diver graphic novel—an original storyline inspired by one of heavy metal’s most iconic album covers.

Today’s announcement brings news that acclaimed horror comics writer
Steve Niles will tell the tale behind the events leading to the powerful moment captured on the cover of Dio's debut album, definitively addressing 30 years of fan speculation. Why is the priest being thrown into the ocean? Who is truly the villain in this scenario? All of these questions are exclusively answered for the first time within the pages of this 120 page graphic novel.

https://z2comics.com/blogs/z2-universe/dio-holy-diver-graphic-novel-comic-book

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0378/8983/5148/products/DIO_SLipcase_3DMock_720x.png?v=1598358066

AC
08-25-2020, 06:28 PM
This is my favourite metal album of 2020 so far:
pRbYVEl3go4

Great slow chugging riffs with some disgusting pitchshifted vocals.

Top YouTube comment cracks me up:
"This sounds like Sleep's Holy Mountain but with way heavier tone and the vocals performed by a garbage disposal, hell yea"

BurningYears
08-26-2020, 09:34 AM
Riley Gale lead singer of Power Trip passed away yesterday:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/aug/26/riley-gale-frontman-with-thrash-metal-band-power-trip-dies

yPRBpKybx_U?t=776

3fV0Wdjxyis