PDA

View Full Version : The Metal Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Hemi-Cuda
07-30-2010, 08:20 PM
my favorite Nightwish song is actually from their newest album. i was a bit worried when i heard the first samples of Annette singing, i feared they might try to streamline their sound and go too commercial. after getting the CD and first hearing The Poet And The Pendulum though my fears were erased immediately

SvUNvUunjNI

Traditional_Ale
07-30-2010, 09:15 PM
^ Holy s*** what album is this???

AWESOME!

Flame Of Liberty
07-30-2010, 10:16 PM

AWESOME!

Dark Passion Play. Amaranth and Bye bye beautiful are also good songs from this album.

Hemi-Cuda
07-30-2010, 10:34 PM

AWESOME!

hold on, you're a Nightwish fan yet you haven't heard their newest album? (even though it's 3 years old now). were you at least aware that Tarja was kicked out and the new vocalist is Anette Olzon?

Traditional_Ale
07-30-2010, 11:20 PM
hold on, you're a Nightwish fan yet you haven't heard their newest album? (even though it's 3 years old now). were you at least aware that Tarja was kicked out and the new vocalist is Anette Olzon?

Please don't expect me to keep up with everything I listen to. Too much music in the world. For the record (excuse the pun) I am a recent convert.

I appreciate this thread a lot.

Shnabdabber
08-22-2010, 11:54 AM
What do you guys recommend to a melodic death metal fan? And I mean newer metal cause I've been out of the loop. I like In Flames, you know bands like Opeth, Katatonia, and to a lesser extent My Dying Bride..... also a huge TOOL fan. I like that slow melodic metal that progresses, if you know what I'm talkin about. Help a brother out!

Slow melodic metal that progresses you say?

Maybe you would enjoy some of Devin Townsend's solo work? It's not death metal... but neither are In Flames. ;)

Ocean Machine is a amazing album, front to back. It's not death metal at all, but it has a very deep, layered sound that builds. Not a bad track on the whole album.

1Ok64JX7KP4&feature=search

2Z_UJ0_biJw&feature=related

Some songs from his album Addicted. Im not a fan of female vocals (unlike Hemi-Cuda) but I love Anneke Van Giersbergen's voice.

aKL0cr3gfXo&feature=related

i1IZpNm2Qyw&feature=related

If your looking for something a little heavier, you may enjoy his project Physicist.

GuX6NDv9-jI&feature=search

qrotHkcKle8&feature=related

And if this still isn't the heavy you are looking for, there is always Strapping Young Lad.

PLBT9mqoEGg&feature=search

VxcvzYMY0vU&feature=related

M-DMYMjEZZ4&feature=search

Hope these help. :)

Sittler
08-24-2010, 10:01 AM
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/img/d25/28524.jpg

Shnabdabber
11-16-2010, 05:56 PM
In the section of criminally underrated bands...

Vrwa1KHUz0A

Thought this thread could use a bump.

Matata
11-16-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm in the middle of a big Devin Townsend phase, I just need to add this video to the mix.

Ziltoid must be one of he only times in history where 1 musician recorded all the parts and owned the record company.

MMLXoobDKWs

Esoteric
11-16-2010, 08:41 PM
New Agalloch has leaked, and it's fantastic.

My favourite band of all time.

DaH3mPdmDos

Shnabdabber
11-16-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm in the middle of a big Devin Townsend phase, I just need to add this video to the mix.

Ziltoid must be one of he only times in history where 1 musician recorded all the parts and owned the record company.

[MMLXoobDKWs

Cant wait for Z2!

Hemi-Cuda
11-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Nightwish is finally working on their next album, i'm stoked. and upon searching for stuff i stumbled across a song with Annette on vocals that i had never heard before

8S1yQ303OeI

kinda pisses me off that i never heard that before, and that it wasn't included on Dark Passion Play. fantastic song

AC
11-16-2010, 10:24 PM
I thought the new Agalloch album was pretty disappointing. The new Atheist and Acid Witch albums however, were awesome.

Matata
11-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Cant wait for Z2!

Fingers and toes crossed he makes an actual musical out of it.

Shnabdabber
11-16-2010, 11:07 PM
I thought the new Agalloch album was pretty disappointing. The new Atheist and Acid Witch albums however, were awesome.

New Atheist? Where the hell have I been?

How would you compare it to their older albums?

Fingers and toes crossed he makes an actual musical out of it.

If it was any other band I would be worried that it would turn out very, very lame. That would be really cool if it happens though.

*edit* The little jig Devin does at 1:51 in the Vampira video slays me. What a goof.

Flame Of Liberty
11-17-2010, 12:21 AM
For people who are waiting for their Nightwish fix, Tarja released her new album What Lies Beneath. It's much better and heavier than her first album (which was crap IMO). Still not at the (old) Nightwish level.

X_1PqsvcWhw

Hemi-Cuda
11-27-2010, 08:45 PM
the new Helstar album is quite awesome

9Ci_Xiijy9Q

impresso
12-11-2010, 12:37 PM
Thought I might bump this thread with a request for some advice from CPuck. I need some good study music and it seems that Metal and well, aggressive music works for me. I tend to listen to a lot of Children of Bodom, Nine Inch Nails(circe The Downward Spiral and The Fragile), Russian Circles, Amon Amarth and Isis.

And for those of you who don't know Russian Circles... they kick ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyZ4z662v5w

3 Justin 3
12-11-2010, 02:36 PM
It isn't metal, but when I study I listen to the 10,000 days album from Tool.

If you want fast aggressive non-stop metal:

MU-zaF0LXD4&feature=related
Check out their album.

IVDJOF1CseA
Nocturnal Breed kicks some series ass.

My new favorite thrash band:
3X8UTv08fWc
Sadly they only have 1 album, but it is non-stop of true thrash.

If you like Bodom, you'll surely like Norther.

I have to recommend my favorite band though, Kalmah, who seriously does it better than everyone else.

Not sure which my favorite song of theirs is but I'll suggest:
94ErYeHwO7w

sclitheroe
12-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Top 10 Canadian Metal albums of 2010:

http://www.hellbound.ca/2010/12/hellbounds-top-10-canadian-metal-albums-of-2010/

http://www.hellbound.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Torontoflames.jpg

dissentowner
12-30-2010, 09:03 PM
King Diamond underwent successful triple bypass surgery, hope the King recovers soon!
http://www.covenworldwide.org/articles.php?id=130

3 Justin 3
12-31-2010, 03:51 AM
Top 10 Canadian Metal albums of 2010:

http://www.hellbound.ca/2010/12/hellbounds-top-10-canadian-metal-albums-of-2010/

http://www.hellbound.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Torontoflames.jpg

Wow, just listened to some of them, some very cool bands.

Hail Canadian Metal!! \w/

bugsy
12-31-2010, 04:10 AM
Also the Propagandhi and Sacrifice releases!

Happy new year - dont need to add a new thread, but its just after midnight here in NZ, so all the best for everyone in the new year.

UKflames
12-31-2010, 05:07 AM
Just found this thread, love the metal music :)

Really stoked about next years UK Sonisphere festival with the big 4 (Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer & Metallica) headling on the friday night and Slipknot on the Sunday night :#1:

sclitheroe
12-31-2010, 08:49 AM
Wow, just listened to some of them, some very cool bands.

Hail Canadian Metal!! \w/

Bison BC is definitely good. Gonna check out some of the others soon

Hemi-Cuda
01-15-2011, 10:03 PM
some great new releases i've stumbled upon recently

Mose Giganticus (sounds like a hybrid of Mastodon and Rush)

XQEQOsNvIYw

Royal Thunder (Sabbath metal with female vocals)

Dfh5iYhIVlg

Slough Feg (awesome as always)

kL2IbTpy2ZU

AC
01-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Royal Thunder (Sabbath metal with female vocals)
Have you heard of Christian Mistress? Very similar.
9fMNBX7_nhc
Slough Feg (awesome as always)
This was in my top 10 of last year.

Mose Giganticus was pretty neat too.

Esoteric
01-16-2011, 12:12 AM
I recently started listening to some old thrash albums I have. I forgot how awesome certain bands in the genre were.

My top 5 thrash releases of all time would probably be;

#5 Torture Squad
Pandemonium

iQ6KKlU4WtI

#4 Holy Terror
Mind Wars

GTUotOf1pFo

#3 Overkill
The Years of Decay

27dbJ26H8l8

#2 Vio-Lence
Eternal Nightmare

GuVnmXkTd_w

Artillery - By Inheritance

RwByncX1wLk

Flames_Gimp
02-02-2011, 01:05 PM
XAuo7BLXM_A&NR=1

G4KCbgZQhRQ

so good...

Dodsdomd
02-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Black Breath
GnJ1ms3P8-4

AC
02-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Yeah that Black Breath album was one of my favourites from last year.

Dodsdomd
02-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Vomitory
EXaCo4f3BjQ

YYC in LAX
02-02-2011, 02:52 PM
In no particular order:

Children of Bodom, Dimmu Borgir, Lamb of God, Satyricon, Old Man's Child, Dream Theater, Pantera, Avenged Sevenfold...and I'll throw CKY in there even though they aren't truly metal.

Dodsdomd
02-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Watain
IrOfvhFiq6E

Kvelertak
CmhVKq-vUMs

Ghost
x6dy1FVo1Ck

3 Justin 3
02-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Has anyone listened to the new Helloween album yet? It is fantastic!

I really liked "Gambling with the Devil" and the follow-up "7 Sinners" is just as good in my opinion.

My favorite song from the album is:
msh6OyOPyzI

A good song too is:
XdF00aAgH6o

Helloween has really upped the qaulity of their albums with their recent 2 releases. One of the only Power Metal bands where I can listen to an entire album (the old ones, and the new 2).

Traditional_Ale
02-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Found this review over at Angry Metal Guy:

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Korpiklaani-Ukon-wacka-300x300.jpg

I’ve always said there can never be enough folka/polka humppa drinking metal from Finland. Go ahead, ask my friends, I’ve always said that! Thankfully Korpiklaani feels much the same way so they keep churning out albums at a highly dependable rate (seven albums in seven years). If you heard any of the previous albums you know what to expect here on Ukon Wacka. If not, imagine a far less serious and way more drunken Finntroll. This is filled to the brim with ridiculously catchy humppa/polka styled folk metal meant to be played whilst hoisting huge frothy mugs of foaming ale. That’s entirely appropriate since Ukon Wacka was an ancient pagan festival where the beer flowed muchly. If such beer soaked party music from 1099 doesn’t sound appealing to you, go home and tell your mom you’re a loser not a boozer.

We can dispense with an elaborate exposition on the different moods, vibes and tempos on display on Ukon Wacken. This is another Korpiklaani soundtrack for dancing through the forest with liquored up gnomes and stoned dwarves and as such it’s fast paced, energetic, thumping and pumping folk metal. As usual, the combination of metal riffing and semi-harsh barking vocals blends well with the violin, flute and other woodland instruments and don’t forget that accordion! Throughout all the festive mayhem, Korpiklaani always weaves their country’s traditional sounds into the party metal mix flawlessly.

dutchmule
02-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Awesome! I didn't know Korpiklaani had a new album out :)

darockwilder
02-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Black Breath
GnJ1ms3P8-4

That is awesome! I've never heard of those guys before but I'm glad I have now.

Shnabdabber
02-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Overkill

qnbkooM9CM8&feature=related

Confessor

zGqZwkm_b8Q&feature=related

thOught industry

KWGfDDP5opQ

UneXpect

gRApOOetSco&feature=related

To Be Quite Honest
02-13-2011, 12:23 AM

Thanks to everyone who talked about Devin Townsend.

Ziltoid is the best! Devin definitely has my weird sense of humor. Great introduction to this style of music for me. Enjoy Ocean Machine as well but I sing to Ziltoid in the shower. Your welcome ladies. ;)

Traditional_Ale
02-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks to everyone who talked about Devin Townsend.

Ziltoid is the best! Devin definitely has my weird sense of humor. Great introduction to this style of music for me. Enjoy Ocean Machine as well but I sing to Ziltoid in the shower. Your welcome ladies. ;)

I have everything he has ever done, both DTB and SYL. These four are by far my favorites, and still get lots of playtime in my home:

http://p.playme.com/cspv/09-67-92-40-00-MetaPreview-Cover-JPEG256x256/devin-townsend/terria.jpg?ts=1271497488

'Terria' is his earth-bound symphony. An absolute masterpiece in every sense of the word. Probably his most serious non SYL work.

https://www.insideoutshop.de/images/41372gross72dpi.jpg

Blast your face off epic space metal from the 24th century! This album cooks at about 2000mph the whole way through!!!

http://www.rock-forums.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/41YYP4EJCCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

ALIEN! If your S.O. enjoys being tied up and whipped and beaten in the sack, you cannot live without this album. It is so full of pure unadulterated rage. Gene Hooglan's drumming is always incredible, but for this release he really kicked it up a notch. There is a mult-part documentary about the making of this album on YouTube that all metal fans should watch.

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/media/devin_townsend_band_synchestra.jpg

Synchestra is probably my favorite DT album. Most especially the first three songs which flow together seamlessly to form what I consider the some of the finest prog-metal ever made. It opens with an acoustic guitar ballad that sounds like irish folk hymns, then by three minutes later you're in this totally massive and triumphant metal city, and you never really notice it change. Where you're going is so completely different from where you came, and so completely different from where you think you're going next, and it all is so natural and suprising at the same time. Only metal album I know that has a Tuba solo in it. Steve Vai also has a guest solo!

Yeah, I'm a huge DT fan.

Traditional_Ale
02-17-2011, 04:14 PM
Anyone else stoked for this?

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Moonsorrow-Varjoina-Kuljemme-Kuolleiden-Maassa-300x297.jpg

MrSector9
02-17-2011, 05:08 PM
From BC

eNABP14cJfs

From Washington

ltFcSW-fKSw

easy to tell what I mostly listen to now.

3 Justin 3
02-18-2011, 01:02 AM
Anyone ever go to one of the metal festivals in Europe? I am thinking of hitting up Metalfest Open Air (Germany) and Metalcamp (Tolmin Slovenia).

My problem is I have no one to go with and as they are like all day overnight camping festivals I think it might be a bit awkward.

Kalmah and Wintersun never play in N.America (Kalmah does but only Eastern Canada :() and I have the opportunity to catch both of them at the same events.

dcmort93
02-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Recently I've really gotten to Amarna Reign and Animals As Leaders

cPpnRdwS9l0
NmfzWpp0hMc
Really good technical metal

Shnabdabber
02-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Traditional Ale, no love for Ocean Machine? ;)

Shnabdabber
02-19-2011, 11:02 PM
hF0Kf04b-Lg&feature=related

Egw9BCKjHqk&feature=related

KHnS2GgsC7o&feature=related

AC
03-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Because we had a Devin Townsend mention recently, and because everything he does is awesome:
9pAAFNH5sRI

Shnabdabber
03-03-2011, 07:30 PM
eRk9ugM_tDY

Hemi-Cuda
03-25-2011, 09:42 PM
i'm quite impressed so far with the new Protest The Hero album

z29basl7Lcs

rabenson000
04-01-2011, 01:53 PM
A preview of Devin Townsend's new album Deconstruction.
bNVg7PixJuo
2EeaPnTvsH0
z3MUeu9wsQY

Traditional_Ale
04-01-2011, 02:10 PM
Traditional Ale, no love for Ocean Machine? ;)

It's awesome, but definately one of his "B" albums compared to the four I listed. Imo.

jayocal
04-29-2011, 03:40 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i247/jayocal/realityhammerposter.jpg

I would love to see and meet some CP metal fans at this show! I'm the drummer for Sacred Ally. Truck and Throne of Vengeance are two of the premier active local bands.

We've got new t-shirts to release as well. Mens and womens.

Support local metal for fata sakes!! Calgary metal is amazing and growing.

Traditional_Ale
04-29-2011, 03:47 PM
I would love to see and meet some CP metal fans at this show! I'm the drummer for Sacred Ally. Truck and Throne of Vengeance are two of the premier active local bands.

We've got new t-shirts to release as well. Mens and womens.

Support local metal for fata sakes!! Calgary metal is amazing and growing.

I'll be there.

3 Justin 3
04-29-2011, 11:03 PM
Next week eh, I get off work at 9, I'll try and come.

Dodsdomd
04-30-2011, 08:38 AM
Some recent Swedish Death Metal releases.

XdI4kE6LgjA

YlL8dShoIqA

YoXtevYjpMU&feature=related

Mass_nerder
04-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Mammoth Grinder always rips my face off...sludgy crusty metal
6Hio-71Kb8o
szIHadPlzUk&feature=related

3 Justin 3
04-30-2011, 04:20 PM
I love music that rips my face off.

You'll just be chilling then you get that feeling "well, my face needs to be ripped off".

That's when I put on some Nocturnal Breed.

IVDJOF1CseA

Song has some crazy brutal lyric, I love it!

Beerfest
04-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Mammoth Grinder always rips my face off...sludgy crusty metal
6Hio-71Kb8o
szIHadPlzUk&feature=related

qr7BOKlNZr8

I know some people going down to see them in Texas. The are playing Chaos in Tejas. The lineup looks awesome.

http://www.cvltnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/25.jpg

jayocal
06-14-2011, 10:12 PM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i247/jayocal/pholedaweb.jpg

Yup, that's right...metal and pho! Should be a pretty unique event.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=136939169715526

Saturday June 25, 2011 9PM

Beerfest
06-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Alcest/Enslaved/Ghost - October 10th at Dickens Pub.

Seeing Alcest will be awesome. I have not listened to Enslaved in a while, but they will be cool to see also.

Opeth and Katatonia - October 11th at Mac Hall.
I saw Opeth a while ago, never listened to Katatonia before (although ive heard some good things), dont listen to Opeth at all anymore..dont think ill be going.

NOCTIS 4.20

Two bands have been announced so far.

Nifelheim and Grave Miasma.

Ill hopefully be attending this and im looking forward to see what other bands get announced.

metallicat
06-18-2011, 06:15 AM
Appropriate place? Metallica has announced they've finished recording a collaboration album with Lou Reed. Metallica has not shined away from experimenting so this should be interesting to say the least.

3 Justin 3
06-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Appropriate place? Metallica has announced they've finished recording a collaboration album with Lou Reed. Metallica has not shined away from experimenting so this should be terrible to say the least.

Agreed.

Metallica hasn't written a good album in 23 years. Don't think they will be starting now.

jayocal
06-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Hey guys/gals, I just fired up a facebook page for my band Sacred Ally. If you like us, or even if you don't like us, please click on "like."

Look at this as a mini heavy metal jihad! Once you've "liked" you can listen to a song off our new album and check out our upcoming shows!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sacred-Ally/154246137979440

Thanks!

Shnabdabber
06-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Anyone else going to see the DTB, Obscura and Septic Flesh concert? Children of Boredom are headlining, June 30th at the Mac Hall.

3 Justin 3
06-20-2011, 03:01 AM
Anyone else going to see the DTB, Obscura and Septic Flesh concert? Children of Boredom are headlining, June 30th at the Mac Hall.

I'm going for Bodom. Set list seems pretty good for Bodom as well and I love the new album (last 2 before were very mediocre to say the least).

Never caught Bodom so I am super excited to finally get to see them.

Shnabdabber
07-11-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm going for Bodom. Set list seems pretty good for Bodom as well and I love the new album (last 2 before were very mediocre to say the least).

Never caught Bodom so I am super excited to finally get to see them.

I've never really been a fan of bodom... the music shreds for sure, just... I dunno, kinda turned off the whole Gottenburg style of metal.

On a side note, I had no clue Atheist has a new(ish) album out. And it freakin SLAYS.

F5OCar8iDmw

Shnabdabber
07-11-2011, 09:39 PM
xICz-ZegCng

Esoteric
07-12-2011, 09:25 PM
NOCTIS 4.20

Two bands have been announced so far.

Nifelheim and Grave Miasma.

Ill hopefully be attending this and im looking forward to see what other bands get announced.

They added ACID KING, who play some rad Stoner/Doom Metal. They're female fronted vocalist is wicked too; really raspy voice, I dig it.

uqHDb-hOSPA

They've also added SONS OF OTIS, who I'm not too familiar with.

I can't wait to see KATATONIA either; going to be a blast. They're opening too, but that means I don't have to sit through BLOWpeth, and can leave right after Katatonia plays their set.

rabenson000
07-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Symphony New album "Iconoclast" new album is a masterpiece.
RBOu_tWJVC0
wy5k5qv8FBQ
39frVu8gijg

Also Azarath new album "Blasphemers' Malediction" is pretty good
BQ7OapnAYl0

Regular_John
07-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Yeah both crossed into Mall-core years ago... but I'm still freaking stoked for Slayer/Rob Zombie later this month.

ernie
10-18-2011, 07:40 AM
Picked up the new Anthrax ("Worship Music") and all I can say is that they finally sound like Anthrax I loved as a 12 year old again. Joey Belladonna is back handling the vocals and is as good as ever.

pylon
10-18-2011, 10:59 AM
If you guys want a beauty of a metal compilation, pick up "The best of Dio" off of iTunes. Pretty much covers all of his best stuff through the years with Rainbow, Sabbath, Dio, and Heaven and hell. If you young bucks haven't experienced the greatness Ronnie James Dio, you owe it to yourself as a metal fan to check out in my opinion, the biggest influence to the genre.

In the mean time I will leave you with this. The sheer awesome contained in this video is not meant for mere mortals. Warning, DO NOT MAKE DIRECT EYE CONTACT WITH BLACKIE LAWLESS. Even though this is just a youtube video, he can still suck your soul out through the monitor.

hPMMo269-oc&feature=related

If I am grateful for one thing, it is the fact that I grew up listening to all of these guys in their prime. Man I wish I still had all my old vinyl.

Puppet Guy
10-18-2011, 12:36 PM
In the mean time I will leave you with this. The sheer awesome contained in this video is not meant for mere mortals. Warning, DO NOT MAKE DIRECT EYE CONTACT WITH BLACKIE LAWLESS. Even though this is just a youtube video, he can still suck your soul out through the monitor.

hPMMo269-oc&feature=related

If I am grateful for one thing, it is the fact that I grew up listening to all of these guys in their prime. Man I wish I still had all my old vinyl.

I was always annoyed that this song got next to no promotion from anyone other than Hit Parader magazine - it's better than all the other famine-relief tracks put together.

CofR
10-18-2011, 01:05 PM
+1 for the new Anthrax album, I'm really enjoying it.

FlamingLonghorn
10-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Fun Fun Fun Fest in 3 weeks Black stage is killer. This is quickly becoming the best festival in the states mainly due to the variety. Where else can you see Slayer, Public Enemy, Spoon, Passion Pit, Cannibal Corpse, Odd Future, Murder City Devils and a Hum reunion in the same place. Glad it's in Austin. Also, these are the guys who talked the Descendents into reuniting.

www.funfunfunfest.com

ernie
10-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Warning, DO NOT MAKE DIRECT EYE CONTACT WITH BLACKIE LAWLESS. Even though this is just a youtube video, he can still suck your soul out through the monitor.

Like Alice Cooper, apparently Blackie Lawless is born again.

AC
10-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Appropriate place? Metallica has announced they've finished recording a collaboration album with Lou Reed. Metallica has not shined away from experimenting so this should be interesting to say the least.

Metallica hasn't written a good album in 23 years. Don't think they will be starting now.

It's out and it is indeed terrible. Amazingly horrible.

However, their next collaboration sounds like it'll be awesome:
PRPzElP_eSI

Displaced Flames fan
10-23-2011, 07:58 AM
Heard Lars Ulrich say that the album was more of a Lou Reed album anyway. Like they were his backing band.

I wouldn't get too upset about it.

3 Justin 3
10-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Lars Ulrich is a terrible drummer. That's all.

FlamingLonghorn
10-23-2011, 08:44 PM

Funny thing is that he knows it. I have some pretty good friends who toured with them and had nothing but the nicest things to say about Metallica. Said that some lesser headliners they toured with wouldn't even talk to them, but Metallica was very gracious and even gave them rides in their plane. I am not a fan of them, but was quite shocked to hear that they are super cool guys.

metallicat
10-23-2011, 10:58 PM
I listened to the entire album over the past couple of days, and to say it's a Lou Reed album is an understatement. I'm a HUGE Metallica fan, but this is absolute garbage. Ridiculously long songs, terrible lyrics, awful "singing" from Reed...the only thing halfway redeeming is the music Metallica plays, and even that isn't good. Just horrible.

I liked the Black Album, loved the Loads, hated St. Anger, loved Death Magnetic...but this is truly some of the worst stuff I've ever heard. I was going to buy the album, but I don't think I will now. In fact, I would rather walk into Future Shop and buy a Justin Bieber CD than this.

Inferno
10-23-2011, 11:45 PM
I listened to the entire album over the past couple of days, and to say it's a Lou Reed album is an understatement. I'm a HUGE Metallica fan, but this is absolute garbage. Ridiculously long songs, terrible lyrics, awful "singing" from Reed...the only thing halfway redeeming is the music Metallica plays, and even that isn't good. Just horrible.

I liked the Black Album, loved the Loads, hated St. Anger, loved Death Magnetic...but this is truly some of the worst stuff I've ever heard. I was going to buy the album, but I don't think I will now. In fact, I would rather walk into Future Shop and buy a Justin Bieber CD than this.

Yep, I've only heard the 30 second clips and that was enough to make me not want to buy the album. Lou sounds like some drunk babbling nonsense. I understand the album is based around a play and he's telling the story but there's a way to pull off talk singing and he fails miserably. I would have much rather Metallica focused on a new album than waste their time on this side project.

3 Justin 3
10-24-2011, 02:39 AM
just listened to one of the "songs". What a waste of time, just complete garbage.

Regular_John
10-24-2011, 08:33 AM
I gave the album a listen front to back last week and honestly... I didn't mind it. At first blush I'd rank it higher than ReLoad, but that's just my opinion.

Is it great? No, but it's not horrible either. And hey, if after 30 years Metallica wants to record a self indulgent album with one of their idols they've earned that right.

But I can see why an album with Metallica on the cover is going to be scrutinized for being "off brand" for lack of a better term. It says Lou Reed & Metallica, so there is certain expectations when it's billed as such. If it were Lou Reed ft Metallica people might not be bagging on it so hard.

Sittler
10-25-2011, 09:25 AM
I know it ain't metal, but the new Puscifer is damn good.

Puppet Guy
11-01-2011, 02:17 PM
since Hear n' Aid was brought up in the thread recently:

RONNIE JAMES DIO's Widow Re-Releasing Eighties Metal All-Star Project HEAR N' AID; To Host Tribute Night At Playboy Mansion

The track should be a part of Eighties lore – it features Dio and ROB HALFORD, among others, on lead vocals. But due to contract differences with the labels, the song and album weren't released until New Year's Day, 1986, well after the success of its predecessors and has since been largely forgotten.

But Ronnie's widow Wendy Dio wants to fix that. "I’m going to rerelease [Stars] because it only ever came out on vinyl and cassette (Editor's note: the CD version was released in Japan). So it’ll come out on DVD and CD," she tells Rolling Stone. "I have loads of outtakes for the video."

full article: http://www.bravewords.com/news/171856

Looks like the proceeds will go to Ronnie's cancer fund.

metallicat
11-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Anyone get the new Megadeth yet? I haven't listened to it enough yet, but it isn't bad so far. I don't think it's quite as good as their recent albums though.

3 Justin 3
11-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Anyone else at Judas Priest right now? This is going to be insane!!

Also, what new Megadeth album? Last one I heard was endgame and I really liked it.

habernac
11-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Megadeth 13 came out yesterday. I've had a listen and I like it.

Hope Priest is ok. Saw Halford open for Ozzy in the last couple of years and he sucked.

3 Justin 3
11-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Megadeth 13 came out yesterday. I've had a listen and I like it.

Hope Priest is ok. Saw Halford open for Ozzy in the last couple of years and he sucked.

He definitely showed up tonight. He sounded bad last time I saw him too, but he is rocking it tonight. Has been hitting everyone note with painkiller to come still.

Edit: Just got back and Halford was excellent for Painkiller. My only complaint for the show was the bass' volume was too high.

socalwingfan
11-04-2011, 06:06 PM
BLACK SABBATH is re-uniting!!!!! Press conference scheduled for 11/11/11 at the Whiskey where they will almost certainly announce a reunion tour.

Awesome news - this is the one band left I need to see and I can die a happy man

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/black-sabbath-holding-l-a-press-conference-on-11-11-11-20111104#ixzz1cmWQ32Sx

3 Justin 3
11-04-2011, 09:05 PM
BLACK SABBATH is re-uniting!!!!! Press conference scheduled for 11/11/11 at the Whiskey where they will almost certainly announce a reunion tour.

Awesome news - this is the one band left I need to see and I can die a happy man

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/black-sabbath-holding-l-a-press-conference-on-11-11-11-20111104#ixzz1cmWQ32Sx

I will go simply for Iomi. Ozzy can't sing worth s*** anymore sadly, but I'd love to see Iomi rock Sabbath songs. When I saw him he was with Heaven and Hell and didn't play any of "good/classics".

On that note: Ronnie Jamies Dio was a god among men; saw him in 2008 and he looked like a corpse, yet had the voice of a god, note for note he hit it. Saw Ozzy in 2008 and he sounded like a guy with throat cancer in comparison.

ernie
11-11-2011, 01:29 PM
One of the worst kept secrets was confirmed today...The orginial lineup of Black Sabbath is reuniting. Unlike past reunions this reunion will include a new album and not just a tour. Album will be helmed by Rick Rubin. The last album for this lineup "Never Say Die" (1978).

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/B/Black_Sabbath/2011/11/11/18956941.html

GreatWhiteEbola
12-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Metalsucks track premeire.

Lamb of God "Ghost Walking" (http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/12/05/exclusive-metalsucks-track-premiere-lamb-of-gods-ghost-walking/)

By the time Resolution comes out on January 24th, 2012 it will have been almost three full years since the release of Lamb of God’s last album of new material, Wrath. Three years is a long time for fans to wait for new music from a band, but Lamb of God aren’t just any band. From their humble beginnings in Richmond, VA in the mid ’90s, Lamb of God grew to become one of the celebrated champions at the top of the budding New Wave of American Heavy Metal scene in the early 2000s. A decade later, thanks to relentless worldwide touring and a dogged devotion to improving their musical chops while staying true to their roots, Lamb of God are inarguably the biggest modern metal band in the world. If you don’t believe us, try this little thought experiment out for size: what other band this side of Metallica (who stopped qualifying for the “modern” tag long before Lamb of God released their first album) whips the metalsphere into such a dizzying fury whenever they release new music? Lamb of God may reach the dreaded/vaunted “legacy” status some day, but that day is not today: one listen to their brand new track “Ghost Walking” should prove that Lamb of God are is vibrant and relevant as ever.

2011 Metal Lists (http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/12/02/worst-year-ever-all-of-our-2011-year-end-####-in-one-place/)

3 Justin 3
12-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Anyone else not give a fata about Lamb of God. They are as generic as they come in my opinion.

Regular_John
12-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Anyone else not give a fata about Lamb of God. They are as generic as they come in my opinion.

I still enjoy two of their earlier disc Ashes of the Wake & As The Palaces Burn but I really lost interest in them when they release Sacrament, seemed they burned the whole tank on the their earlier disc and they've failed to expand beyond their little box. Or at least they tried to add some melody to the equation but it was outside their comfort zone and just didn't work.

GreatWhiteEbola
12-05-2011, 04:34 PM

Did you enjoy the 2011 Metal lists?

AC
12-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Here's my list of worthwhile metal to check out from 2011:

Black Metal:
Absu - Abzu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZDowNse1Fk)
Byfrost - Of Death (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko3N11NfG3Q)
Enslaved - The Sleeping Gods (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHKmAigLsn4)
Mitochondrion - Parasignosis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEQMcsS38wo)
Oranssi Pazuzu - Kosmonument (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5jnoQdbCHY)
Peste Noire - L'Ordure à l'état Pur (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA25vs4c2vs)
Sarke - Oldarhian (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2pq2cEMGig)
Vreid - V (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgc9qHVlIIM)
Death Metal:
Autopsy - Macabre Eternal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKvgblTzYSs)
Benighted - Asylum Cave (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HNb9HiXPGw)
Cianide - Gods of Death
AFOKLXV6qBI
Deceased - Surreal Overdose (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doA2HZQsxjo)
Ghoul - Transmission Zero
dGasGjmIUy4
Obscura - Omnivium (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ypNM7zfykI)
Septic Flesh - The Great Mass
AFY_RuQQgYU
Unholy Cadaver - Unholy Cadaver
6I63nwtBLFY
Doom / Sludge Metal
Barn Burner - Bangers II: Scum of the Earth
Nph2yx4QDl8
Black Tusk - Set the Dial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5FEbMsoDp8)
Blood Ceremony - Living with the Ancients
cJIEWj2qUlg
Boris - Heavy Rocks II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4RDBiSpB68)
Hunters - From Birth to Soil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3azOj7X8UK8)
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Blood Lust
wZ7UpD4AquU
Weedeater - Jason... the Dragon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F21xidkqPM)
Grind:
All Pigs Must Die - God is War (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TjY54LKTbQ)
Brutal Truth - End Time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvDZA_oC8uA)
Rotten Sound - Cursed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttdQnPakmPQ)
Total ####ing Destruction - Hater (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2G4Hsp0ayM)
Trap Them - Darker Handcraft
pr7-y3UXUxQ
Wormrot - Dirge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwwhnHCEoAY)
Misc:
Devin Townsend - Deconstruction (Progressive Metal)
58mv4sP-4TU
Mastodon - The Hunter (Progressive Metal) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QirOgmuEyA4)
Opeth - Heritage (Progressive Metal)
G1pi7Dn87mY
Pain of Salvation - Road Salt Two (Progressive Metal) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QMcLiC_Og0)
Turisas - Stand Up and Fight (Folk Metal)
QFzMrOLkG_o
Týr - The Lay of Thrym (Folk Metal)
5w7VR-N-3Ww
Thrash Metal:
Exmortus - Beyond the Fall of Time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Q-xhIphIY)
Havok - Time is Up
W7pRpnO3Jw4
Headshot - Synchronicity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI8XSa4iLfM)
Warbringer - Worlds Torn Asunder
-5wqtSFuGLc

8sPOT
12-05-2011, 08:58 PM

Nope I'm a big fan, they stay true and continue to create great albums. The next Metallica IMO, which unfortunately means they will develop the same love 'em or hate 'em vibe which comes with success.

3 Justin 3
12-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Nope I'm a big fan, they stay true and continue to create great albums. The next Metallica IMO, which unfortunately means they will develop the same love 'em or hate 'em vibe which comes with success.

Not sure being the next Metallica is a good thing. 3 excellent and 1 good album with 5-6 sh** albums isn't something I'd strive for.

I'd go the Iron Maiden route and just write good material.

3 Justin 3
12-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Here's my list of worthwhile metal to check out from 2011:

Black Metal:
Absu - Abzu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZDowNse1Fk)
Byfrost - Of Death (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko3N11NfG3Q)
Enslaved - The Sleeping Gods (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHKmAigLsn4)
Mitochondrion - Parasignosis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEQMcsS38wo)
Oranssi Pazuzu - Kosmonument (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5jnoQdbCHY)
Peste Noire - L'Ordure à l'état Pur (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA25vs4c2vs)
Sarke - Oldarhian (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2pq2cEMGig)
Vreid - V (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgc9qHVlIIM)
Death Metal:
Autopsy - Macabre Eternal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKvgblTzYSs)
Benighted - Asylum Cave (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HNb9HiXPGw)
Cianide - Gods of Death
AFOKLXV6qBI
Deceased - Surreal Overdose (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doA2HZQsxjo)
Ghoul - Transmission Zero
dGasGjmIUy4
Obscura - Omnivium (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ypNM7zfykI)
Septic Flesh - The Great Mass
AFY_RuQQgYU
Unholy Cadaver - Unholy Cadaver
6I63nwtBLFY
Doom / Sludge Metal
Barn Burner - Bangers II: Scum of the Earth
Nph2yx4QDl8
Black Tusk - Set the Dial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5FEbMsoDp8)
Blood Ceremony - Living with the Ancients
cJIEWj2qUlg
Boris - Heavy Rocks II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4RDBiSpB68)
Hunters - From Birth to Soil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3azOj7X8UK8)
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Blood Lust
wZ7UpD4AquU
Weedeater - Jason... the Dragon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F21xidkqPM)
Grind:
All Pigs Must Die - God is War (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TjY54LKTbQ)
Brutal Truth - End Time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvDZA_oC8uA)
Rotten Sound - Cursed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttdQnPakmPQ)
Total ####ing Destruction - Hater (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2G4Hsp0ayM)
Trap Them - Darker Handcraft
pr7-y3UXUxQ
Wormrot - Dirge (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwwhnHCEoAY)
Misc:
Devin Townsend - Deconstruction (Progressive Metal)
58mv4sP-4TU
Mastodon - The Hunter (Progressive Metal) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QirOgmuEyA4)
Opeth - Heritage (Progressive Metal)
G1pi7Dn87mY
Pain of Salvation - Road Salt Two (Progressive Metal) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QMcLiC_Og0)
Turisas - Stand Up and Fight (Folk Metal)
QFzMrOLkG_o
Týr - The Lay of Thrym (Folk Metal)
5w7VR-N-3Ww
Thrash Metal:
Exmortus - Beyond the Fall of Time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Q-xhIphIY)
Havok - Time is Up
W7pRpnO3Jw4
Headshot - Synchronicity (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI8XSa4iLfM)
Warbringer - Worlds Torn Asunder
-5wqtSFuGLc

Holy **** me, Exmortus finally released their 2nd album? Their first one is excellent, can't wait to have a listen.

8sPOT
12-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Not sure being the next Metallica is a good thing. 3 excellent and 1 good album with 5-6 sh** albums isn't something I'd strive for.

I'd go the Iron Maiden route and just write good material.

I meant Metallica in the sense that they became the most widely recognized name for a hard rock band. Lamb of God has yet to release a bad album anyways. I also don't see Lamb of God fizzling out like Metallica (Load, and everything after that).

Traditional_Ale
12-08-2011, 08:42 PM
I meant Metallica in the sense that they became the most widely recognized name for a hard rock band. Lamb of God has yet to release a bad album anyways. I also don't see Lamb of God fizzling out like Metallica (Load, and everything after that).

Metallica for me died after S&M. Hetfield learned how to sing, and they played their asses off. When I saw them in Calgary circa 2005-2006 he sounded like a 12-year old on coke. I think "Ride The Lightning" was their best.

Azure
12-08-2011, 09:07 PM

Not sure how you could say that. You might not like his style, but he is extremely good at what he does.

Azure
12-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Metallica for me died after S&M. Hetfield learned how to sing, and they played their asses off. When I saw them in Calgary circa 2005-2006 he sounded like a 12-year old on coke. I think "Ride The Lightning" was their best.

James can't sing like he used too. Not sure if that is because he blew out his voice, or because he's getting older.

Considering his style of singing, I wouldn't be surprised if he just can't do it like he used to do it.

But holy crap you guys are harsh. Metallica made a lot of awesome music. Black was still awesome, even if they went away from their style a bit.

dissentowner
12-09-2011, 11:21 AM
James can't sing like he used too. Not sure if that is because he blew out his voice, or because he's getting older.

Considering his style of singing, I wouldn't be surprised if he just can't do it like he used to do it.

But holy crap you guys are harsh. Metallica made a lot of awesome music. Black was still awesome, even if they went away from their style a bit.
Speaking of Metallica they just did their anniversary shows with some special guests including Mercyful Fate w/King Diamond! So awesome to see the King back onstage after his major heart surgery and to see the guys from MF. Awesome!!!!!!
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=167005

3 Justin 3
12-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Not sure how you could say that. You might not like his style, but he is extremely good at what he does.

He is highly regarded in the drumming community as a terrible drummer so it isn't like my comment is without reason.

Canuck-Hater
12-09-2011, 02:59 PM
qfRGF-MWYsE

Powerful stuff.

Hemi-Cuda
12-09-2011, 09:21 PM
here's some newish releases that i'm really digging

s0P2Gr5Ucfk

BpXiudJ_J6U

YXRunMfRPgY

2jGZJxnJk-4

7QtLbXeQkV8

3 Justin 3
12-09-2011, 09:23 PM
Really digging the new Evile CD, Five Serpents Teeth. A lot better than there last CD which I didn't really enjoy too much.

ernie
12-10-2011, 07:45 AM
He is highly regarded in the drumming community as a terrible drummer so it isn't like my comment is without reason.

Rhythm magazines list of top 50 drummers of all time (from all genres) disagrees with you (#19). It was based on the voting and input from the drumming community.

He isn't the most creative drummer anymore or the most technically sound but he was a huge part of one of the most influential bands ever and he was an extremely influential drummer. You don't get to be that influential by being "terrible"

DementedReality
12-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Agreed.

says who?

Death Magnetic is fantastic from start to finish.

Azure
12-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Rhythm magazines list of top 50 drummers of all time (from all genres) disagrees with you (#19). It was based on the voting and input from the drumming community.

He isn't the most creative drummer anymore or the most technically sound but he was a huge part of one of the most influential bands ever and he was an extremely influential drummer. You don't get to be that influential by being "terrible"

I was just going to mention that.

AC
12-10-2011, 04:55 PM
I don't think its his drumming, its the snare in a few albums that sounds horrible.

EyM3_u8SDNQ

The snare almost ruins Death Magnetic as well. But I believe it was the mastering / engineering that destroyed the snare on Death Magnetic.

It's really too bad considering it even sounds better in Ride the Lightning, which is pretty raw.

Azure
12-10-2011, 05:20 PM
I hate the sound too, but that has nothing to do with his ability to be a good drummer, and everything to do with sound/mastering/engineering.

Traditional_Ale
12-10-2011, 05:20 PM
It's really too bad considering it even sounds better in Ride the Lightning, which is pretty raw.

While it may sound raw, it has an incredible amount of production on it to make it sound "raw", while still being beautifully recorded and produced.

To put this in context, "Nevermind" by Nirvana sounds like it could have been mixed in a weekend it is so "raw", but that mix actually took eight months!

Traditional_Ale
12-10-2011, 05:23 PM
So did anyone else make it out to Devin Townsend at SAIT last week? It was awesome because it wasn't just the new stuff, actually more like a "best of" which was fine by me. I was amazed at the amount of stuff from "Physicist" he played, considering it is regarded as his weakest disc (I think it's one of his best, in composition and performance, he just pooped the bed on the mix).

Anyway, best $25 I've spent on a concert ticket in a long time. Been a fan for 11-years, and it was awesome to see him live the first time in a smaller venue.

3 Justin 3
12-10-2011, 05:30 PM
So did anyone else make it out to Devin Townsend at SAIT last week? It was awesome because it wasn't just the new stuff, actually more like a "best of" which was fine by me. I was amazed at the amount of stuff from "Physicist" he played, considering it is regarded as his weakest disc (I think it's one of his best, in composition and performance, he just pooped the bed on the mix).

Anyway, best $25 I've spent on a concert ticket in a long time. Been a fan for 11-years, and it was awesome to see him live the first time in a smaller venue.

I saw him live a couple months ago when he was touring with Children of Bodom and they played at the U of C. He is an awesome performer, really gets the crowd into it and he's hilarious too!

Traditional_Ale
12-10-2011, 05:34 PM
I saw him live a couple months ago when he was touring with Children of Bodom and they played at the U of C. He is an awesome performer, really gets the crowd into it and he's hilarious too!

I had tickets but couldn't make it. I saw COB, Fear Factory, and Lamb of God all on one card in Toronto circa 2005. COB used to be awesome, loved them, but now I agree with the nickname 'Children of Boring.'

Devin Townsend is absolutely a generational talent.

Deuce Bigalow
12-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Metallica just released 4 news songs to the insiders... they were the 4 songs left off of DM. Search for "Beyond Magnetic" and you should be able to find it easily. Pretty good songs, at least in parts. Kirk has some good solos in em.

3 Justin 3
12-12-2011, 10:28 AM
I had tickets but couldn't make it. I saw COB, Fear Factory, and Lamb of God all on one card in Toronto circa 2005. COB used to be awesome, loved them, but now I agree with the nickname 'Children of Boring.'

Devin Townsend is absolutely a generational talent.

I have been critical of Children of Bodom in recent years, but I love their new CD Relentless Reckless Forever, I like all the songs from the CD, whereas Blooddrunk had 1 good song, and the previous CD had maybe 2 good songs.

rabenson000
12-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Merry Christmas from Bruce Dickinson \m/
BfN-woMpD04

Regular_John
12-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Metallica just released 4 news songs to the insiders... they were the 4 songs left off of DM. Search for "Beyond Magnetic" and you should be able to find it easily. Pretty good songs, at least in parts. Kirk has some good solos in em.

Official release for us non insiders:
Four Previously Un-released Tracks On iTunes (http://www.metallica.com/news/20111212-news2.asp)

Some decent cuts on there actually, surprised they weren't just bonus tracks for certain retailers when DM was released.

GreatWhiteEbola
01-04-2012, 12:00 AM
I have been enjoying VH1 Classic's Metal Evolution.
fnL7RayhPVk

I just recently watched the episode on Thrash metal, It was good.

Is anyone else watching this?

rabenson000
01-04-2012, 12:57 AM
I have been enjoying VH1 Classic's Metal Evolution.

I just recently watched the episode on Thrash metal, It was good.

Is anyone else watching this?

Yes! Love the show. Sam Dunn has the best metal documentaries around.

3 Justin 3
01-04-2012, 02:15 AM
Wait, Sam Dunn has made more metal documentaries?

I loved his first two.

GreatWhiteEbola
01-04-2012, 02:26 AM
Wait, Sam Dunn has made more metal documentaries?

I loved his first two.

Yes, search "Metal Evolution" there have been 6 episodes aired so far.

1. Pre Metal
2. Early Metal pt1 - US
3. Early Metal pt2 - UK
4. New Wave of British Heavy Metal
5. Glam Metal
6. Thrash Metal

There will be 11 episodes.

They can be found through alternative means, VH1 Classic is not available in Canada, afaik.

Sam and Scott have done 4 documentaries, you may be thinking of "Metal: A headbanger's Journey" and "Global Metal". They have done "Iron Maiden: Flight 666" and "Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage".

The Rush doc I thought was really good, because I found an appreciation for Rush through that doc. I previously hated troll-boy with a passion. I was able to look past my disdain for Getty Lee and appreciate their music.

If you liked the Sam Dunn documentaries you will love the series.

They are working on a new doc called "Satan" which I'm sure will be well done.

3 Justin 3
01-04-2012, 04:28 AM

1. Pre Metal
2. Early Metal pt1 - US
3. Early Metal pt2 - UK
5. Glam Metal
6. Thrash Metal

They can be found through alternative means, VH1 Classic is not available in Canada, afaik.

Sam and Scott have done 4 documentaries, you may be thinking of "Metal: A headbanger's Journey" and "Global Metal". They have done "Iron Maiden: Flight 666" and "Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage".

The Rush doc I thought was really good, because I found an appreciation for Rush through that doc. I previously hated troll-boy with a passion. I was able to look past my disdain for Getty Lee and appreciate their music.

I've seen Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, Global Metal and IM:Flight 666, but I haven't seen the one on Rush so I'll try and watch it tomorrow.

I just watched the thrash episode and it was as good as always from Sam. I'll check out the rest of series. Have they released what each episode will be about? I'd like them to do an episode on Scandinavian Melo-Death Metal.

Regular_John
01-04-2012, 07:44 AM

1. Pre Metal
2. Early Metal pt1 - US
3. Early Metal pt2 - UK
5. Glam Metal
6. Thrash Metal

MuchMore.ca in Canada (http://www.muchmore.ca/category/shows/metal-evolution/) is also streaming Metal Evolution online. Hammered through all six episodes on Monday after the Winter Classic.

Fantastic work from Dunn once again, gonna need to rewatch the thrash one again for the scene where he asked why fans like himself felt so betrayed by Metallica's Black Album.

There are some haters on reddit.com/r/metal bellyaching because there's no extreme metal show in this series but one for nu-metal. But I think it's just the typical more metal than you crowd. Sam Dunn & Scot McFadyen are knocking it out of the park once again. Come one, Sam opened the Glam Episode by declaring he hates Glam Metal. Guy is legit.

I just watched the thrash episode and it was as good as always from Sam. I'll check out the rest of series. Have they released what each episode will be about? I'd like them to do an episode on Scandinavian Melo-Death Metal.

This is what Wikipedia has: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Evolution#Episodes)

Pre Metal
Early Metal Part 1: US Division
Early Metal Part 2: UK Division
New Wave of British Heavy Metal
Glam
Thrash
Grunge
Nu Metal
Shock Rock
Power Metal
Progressive Metal

I'm a little confused by the "grunge" episode listed in there. An hour of Alice in Chains?

Puppet Guy
01-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Merry Christmas from Bruce Dickinson \m/
BfN-woMpD04

for some reason I can't thank this. IT'S AWESOME!!!!

icarus
01-04-2012, 08:58 AM
I just came across this in the course of my employment and had to post it in the Metal Thread:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0067PR082/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=wiboeyop-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B0067PR082

The amazing Adey Grummet, after leading roles in Cats and Les Miserables, starring with D'Oyly Carte and most of the UK's opera companies, and a fabulous voyage through the UK's world of musical theatre including the first production of "Jerry Springer the Opera" brings all her talents to a focus in this unprecedented album of songs about metals, the environment and love.

Released in parallel with the book "Sustainable Materials with both eyes open" this is the first album ever written specifically for the 300 million people worldwide who work to transform mined ores into finished buildings, cars and metal goods. The songs, ranging from Salsa, through Blues, Ballads, Light Jazz and Country to Big Band, combine romance and humour in setting out a path to a future sustainable metals economy.

The first ever album in the "Future Metals" category, this could be an ideal gift from family and friends to those whose work touches on metals, or from those in the industry to their own supporters. Making the metals that support our every aspect of our economy carries a huge environmental burden - and we have to take serious action to reduce it. With a twinkle in its eye, this album shows this is possible - if we all learn the songs, we can make a big enough change to allow our grandchildren to keep dancing.

1 You Gotta Start 3:39
2 Our Metal Children 3:55
3 Use It Efficiently 4:18
4 There are no Silver Bullets 4:18
5 Underground 4:37
6 Mr Maker 3:31
7 Hexagon 3:40
8 Don't Recycle Our Love 3:50
9 Your Scraps Could Be My Feast 5:20
10 I Don't Need a New Dress 4:15
11 You Can't Cycle in a Car 2:34
12 With Both Eyes Open 3:26

3 Justin 3
01-04-2012, 04:56 PM
MuchMore.ca in Canada (http://www.muchmore.ca/category/shows/metal-evolution/) is also streaming Metal Evolution online. Hammered through all six episodes on Monday after the Winter Classic.

Fantastic work from Dunn once again, gonna need to rewatch the thrash one again for the scene where he asked why fans like himself felt so betrayed by Metallica's Black Album.

There are some haters on reddit.com/r/metal bellyaching because there's no extreme metal show in this series but one for nu-metal. But I think it's just the typical more metal than you crowd. Sam Dunn & Scot McFadyen are knocking it out of the park once again. Come one, Sam opened the Glam Episode by declaring he hates Glam Metal. Guy is legit.

This is what Wikipedia has: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Evolution#Episodes)

Pre Metal
Early Metal Part 1: US Division
Early Metal Part 2: UK Division
New Wave of British Heavy Metal
Glam
Thrash
Grunge
Nu Metal
Shock Rock
Power Metal
Progressive Metal

I'm a little confused by the "grunge" episode listed in there. An hour of Alice in Chains?

Well now I'm mildly disappointed. They will no doubt be cool episodes, but they aren't doing anything on my favorite sub-genre. :( Especially with it's popularity which seems to be increasing (Melo-Death/Black).

I'm curious as to what bands he'll categorize as Nu-Metal as that is probably the most debated sub-genre as a lot of people put Hard Rock bands in there.

Puppet Guy
01-09-2012, 12:20 PM
Bad news for metal fans: Tony Iommi's been diagnosed with lymphoma.

http://www.bravewords.com/news/175638

"With the news that Black Sabbath’s Tony Iommi has been diagnosed with the early stages of lymphoma, his bandmates would like everyone to send positive vibes to the guitarist at this time. Iommi is currently working with his doctors to establish the best treatment plan - the 'Iron Man' of rock & roll remains upbeat and determined to make a full and successful recovery."

Hopefully with it being an early detection it'll be treated with little more than the intro to Iron Man.

3 Justin 3
01-09-2012, 10:28 PM
The Godfather of Heavy Metal.

I really hope he gets better, there were rumors that they were going to write and record a new record and tour again with the old line-up.

Without Tony, there is no heavy metal.

ernie
01-10-2012, 09:45 AM
The Godfather of Heavy Metal.

I really hope he gets better, there were rumors that they were going to write and record a new record and tour again with the old line-up.

Without Tony, there is no heavy metal.

It was only a rumour until they confirmed it a month or two ago. They are currently writing and recording with Rubin at the helm.

Hopefully he wins the battle so we can see that planned tour take place. And it would suck to lose Ronnie and Tony so close to one another.

Regular_John
01-11-2012, 08:07 PM
Episodes 7 (Grunge) & 8 (Nu Metal) of Metal Evolution are up on MuchMore.ca now. (http://www.muchmore.ca/category/shows/metal-evolution/)

Grunge episode was better than I expected, definitely played up the Black Sabbath/Led Zeppelin/early metal influences on the Seattle scene. Plus it bagged on Creed/Nickelback, which is always fun.

Maybe it's just because it was the heavy music I was into during high school but it seemed like the Nu Metal episode really glossed over some things. Basically boiled down to

Anthrax/Public Enemy-->Pantera/Sepultura-->Korn/Deftones/Limp Bizkit and then Linkin Park took all that and made it fresh & clean.

Skipped over Slipknot & System of a Down completely. Although Slipknot may get thrown into the shock rock episode still think System of a Down has stood the test of time while coming out of that movement.

Either way, both episodes are worth watching, like I said, really enjoyed the Grunge one.

Traditional_Ale
01-25-2012, 06:26 PM
http://www.angrymetalguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Falconer_-_Armod_artwork-300x300.jpg

I have not been able to stop listening to this. What a total triumph! Spent the $15.00, spun it twice and hated it and shelved it. Came back to it last week and oh wow was I wrong. This is a total feast for the ears. Safe to play for children, too.

3 Justin 3
01-27-2012, 02:21 AM
It looks like Much Music stopped streaming Metal Evolution their site, anyone know where I can watch these? Torrentz aren't up for the newer episodes yet.

Edit: Ok, after like an hour of scavenging the internet trying to find a stream, I finally found it on Much Music's site again. The previous links were all redirecting to the story and not the episode, it took 15 minutes going through their site, but I found it!

Here (http://www.muchmore.ca/metal-evolution/pid/101114/metal-evolution-ep-108-nu-metal) (it's the Nu-Metal episode, but you can switch it underneath)

Itse
01-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Well now I'm mildly disappointed. They will no doubt be cool episodes, but they aren't doing anything on my favorite sub-genre. :( Especially with it's popularity which seems to be increasing (Melo-Death/Black).

Just watched the first episode which flashes the cities which he's going to visit on this trip.

Since it mentions Gothenburg (and Helsinki), I think there's a good chance melodeath gets at least some kind of a mention.

Itse
01-27-2012, 05:50 PM
Having watched four episodes now (not completely in order), I have to say the Evolution of Metal is among the best music documentaries I think I've ever seen.

The sheer honesty and openness of the interviews is not something you often see. It's rare to hear musicians be so honest about the commercial side of it all, the influences outside metal, trying to find an audience and so forth. The Glam episode was especially great in this, everybody talks so much about everything else than music that it actually becomes a really interesting look into it all, especially at the later stages when the rides are over.

And they do a great job putting all the interviews together to create a storyline that's pretty easy to follow yet doesn't dumb it down too much.

Plus the music clips. They've really dug out some great old stuff, there was a ton that I'd never really seen before. All these legends and dinosaurs back when they were still young and hungry.

Plus there's some great quotes.

"How can less be more? That's impossible. More is more."
- Yngwie Malmsteen

Nage Waza
01-27-2012, 11:28 PM
I have been watching, but I missed the thrash episode, which I really wanted to see. That guy makes really good documentaries, even my wife that hates metal can watch.

BurningYears
02-09-2012, 01:18 PM
New 3 inches of blood track! I like the little direction changes they take as a band while keeping the bread and butter together.

0tn8pl82rAM#!

afc wimbledon
02-09-2012, 02:31 PM

1. Pre Metal
2. Early Metal pt1 - US
3. Early Metal pt2 - UK
5. Glam Metal
6. Thrash Metal

I am suprised they did the Rush Doc, which, even though I can't stand Rush, was really good, the metal evolution have been fun to watch although the most of the shows about the origins were a bit lacking in knowledge, you definatly got the sense this was just a couple of dudes with a camera and not much of a research budget.

3 Justin 3
02-09-2012, 10:22 PM
I am suprised they did the Rush Doc, which, even though I can't stand Rush, was really good, the metal evolution have been fun to watch although the most of the shows about the origins were a bit lacking in knowledge, you definatly got the sense this was just a couple of dudes with a camera and not much of a research budget.

Definitely check out Metal: A Headbanger's Journey. By the same team and in my opinion was a better overall documentary (1hr 30 minutes long). I love watching it.

saskflames69
02-09-2012, 10:40 PM
My favorite transitional metal is cobalt, followed by niobium. Can't stand osmium though.

AC
02-09-2012, 11:15 PM
My favorite transitional metal is cobalt, followed by niobium. Can't stand osmium though.
I know, right?! Their last two albums were both awesome.

http://i.imgur.com/HOe1h.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/gPkWh.jpg

:whistle:

saskflames69
02-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Haha wow did not realize cobalt was the name of a band..

AC
02-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Haha wow did not realize cobalt was the name of a band..
Niobium isn't, but there are 3 bands called "Osmium".

ernie
02-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Not really Metal and not even that well heard of but Jerry Gaskill drummer for influential Hard rock group King's X suffered a heart attack on the weekend and has been on a ventilator since.

AC
03-04-2012, 12:35 PM
The new album by the Japanese band Sigh, In Somniphobia is out there and will almost definitely be my pick for best of 2012 by the end of the year.

vPRCwn-e0yw

4dqKbzRqc5g

ECtL35qZ-dE

BurningYears
03-20-2012, 04:30 PM
New 3 inches of blood track! I like the little direction changes they take as a band while keeping the bread and butter together.

0tn8pl82rAM#!

http://soundcloud.com/centurymediarecords/3-inches-of-blood-metal-woman

and some more. so stoked on this

cDnStealth
03-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Just a heads up to any Wintersun fans out there. Their new album Time is set to be released in two parts with the first coming late this summer. I am hoping this thing actually sees the light of day.

Max Cow Disease
03-28-2012, 11:39 PM
Does anyone ever lend an ear to Meshuggah? Their latest effort "Koloss" hit the market a few days ago. It's a tight, nut-incinerating, chugging behemoth, as one would expect from the Swedish vets.

3 Justin 3
03-29-2012, 03:22 AM
Just a heads up to any Wintersun fans out there. Their new album Time is set to be released in two parts with the first coming late this summer. I am hoping this thing actually sees the light of day.

Two parts? I know Jari say that he is busy mixing and the CD would be released at the end of summer, but not the 2 part comment. Maybe because the CD is so long? That or he still needs to mix the thing and just wants to release half of it as fast as possible.

If you've read all his blog posts, all the delays are because of BS computer stuff, not enough RAM, plug-ins not being in 64-bit, etc. It sucks that one of the best musicians in the world has spent nearly half a decade trying to get his CD released because his computers can't handle such a massive project. Yet, if this was some crap "radio" band he'd get the money and equipment he needs.

Where'd you get your info? Is there any mention on what two parts means, like tracks 1-4 in summer then 5-8 in Winter?

I can't wait for this CD, I've listened to the self-titled album about 1000 times already (not a hyperbole).

Tinordi
03-29-2012, 09:40 AM
Oh hi, I just thought I'd drop by and post this piece of awesomeness:

h85KV5e6t-E

cDnStealth
03-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Two parts? I know Jari say that he is busy mixing and the CD would be released at the end of summer, but not the 2 part comment. Maybe because the CD is so long? That or he still needs to mix the thing and just wants to release half of it as fast as possible.

If you've read all his blog posts, all the delays are because of BS computer stuff, not enough RAM, plug-ins not being in 64-bit, etc. It sucks that one of the best musicians in the world has spent nearly half a decade trying to get his CD released because his computers can't handle such a massive project. Yet, if this was some crap "radio" band he'd get the money and equipment he needs.

Where'd you get your info? Is there any mention on what two parts means, like tracks 1-4 in summer then 5-8 in Winter?

I can't wait for this CD, I've listened to the self-titled album about 1000 times already (not a hyperbole).

I got it right off his official website. He posted on the 16th and this was the part:
"We are very excited to announce that we are going to be headlining the 2012 Heidenfest Tour in October. There was some setbacks with the album during the winter (again), but as usual we have managed to ram through them. (Big thanks to our management for helping us through the tough times!). I´ve been mixing my ass off and things are going smooth and steady now and the album will be released late summer. Stay tuned for bigger updates about the album (or should we say "albums", wink wink!)“ Jari and the Wintersun boys, cheers!
On their wikipedia page it mentions that the "second" album should come out about 6 months after the first. No idea where that comes from though. This thing is going to be amazing!

3 Justin 3
03-29-2012, 04:25 PM
I got it right off his official website. He posted on the 16th and this was the part:

On their wikipedia page it mentions that the "second" album should come out about 6 months after the first. No idea where that comes from though. This thing is going to be amazing!

Oh yeah I saw that too. I thought maybe he meant a live version of Time or something. I don't think he'll split Time into two parts, unless of course he recorded like 16 songs and it becomes something like Stratovarius' Elements CDs, or Helloweens, Keeper of the Seven Keys.

Dodsdomd
03-29-2012, 04:34 PM
New Napalm Death album is very good!

sclitheroe
03-29-2012, 04:43 PM
The map of metal for those contemplating their next vacation destination:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zXJ9jUu1aAY/T3N6jfz86II/AAAAAAAAR6o/I5skdsxSmQI/s1600/MetalBands.jpg

Hemi-Cuda
03-29-2012, 09:14 PM
we're more metal than the US

suck it!

3 Justin 3
05-29-2012, 04:09 PM
It's TIME!!

From Wintersun's website (luckily I checked today and what do you know, new news!_

"Hello friends!

Time for some album(s) news. Wintersun's "Time" is going to be two albums, titled TIME I & TIME II. We made this decision simply because of few reasons:

- All the 80min of material won´t fit on a regular CD and we didn´t want to cut anything out.

- We want you to be able to hear new material sooner and not wait any longer and we want to go on tour sooner.

- The music is very full and complex, so listening this kind of "hard listening (not easy listening)" material straight for 80 minutes is a bit too much (even for me). Both albums will be approx. nice 40 min epic packages of fireworks.

- We like the idea of releasing two albums within one year, so the band will stay more visible longer, which is important in these "modern times". No more years of silence for us!

We hope you´ll approve our new little "plan" and support us when the "Time" comes!

The tracklisting for TIME I looks like this:

TIME I

1. When Time Fades Away
2. Sons of Winter and Stars
I Rain of Stars
II Surrounded by Darkness
III Journey Inside a Dream
IV Sons of Winter and Stars
3. Land of Snow and Sorrow
4. Darkness and Frost
5. Time

TIME I mix is set to be finished by July, mastered in the beginning of July and released in early fall of 2012! TIME II will be released in 2013. Conception of album artworks, videos, live shows incl. rehearsals will keep us busy during the summer and I´ll also continue mixing TIME II meanwhile. We´ll be hopefully posting some videos and teasers during summer. Also some new live show announcements soon, so stay tuned for those!

We can´t wait for you guys to hear TIME I material and play it to you live! Have a great summer!

Jari & Wintersun boys"

YES!!! So we'll hopefully get Time I in September/October and then Time II [hopefully] early 2013.

cDnStealth
05-29-2012, 05:01 PM
It's TIME!!

From Wintersun's website (luckily I checked today and what do you know, new news!_

"Hello friends!

Time for some album(s) news. Wintersun's "Time" is going to be two albums, titled TIME I & TIME II. We made this decision simply because of few reasons:

- All the 80min of material won´t fit on a regular CD and we didn´t want to cut anything out.

- We want you to be able to hear new material sooner and not wait any longer and we want to go on tour sooner.

- The music is very full and complex, so listening this kind of "hard listening (not easy listening)" material straight for 80 minutes is a bit too much (even for me). Both albums will be approx. nice 40 min epic packages of fireworks.

- We like the idea of releasing two albums within one year, so the band will stay more visible longer, which is important in these "modern times". No more years of silence for us!

We hope you´ll approve our new little "plan" and support us when the "Time" comes!

The tracklisting for TIME I looks like this:

TIME I

1. When Time Fades Away
I Rain of Stars
4. Darkness and Frost
5. Time

TIME I mix is set to be finished by July, mastered in the beginning of July and released in early fall of 2012! TIME II will be released in 2013. Conception of album artworks, videos, live shows incl. rehearsals will keep us busy during the summer and I´ll also continue mixing TIME II meanwhile. We´ll be hopefully posting some videos and teasers during summer. Also some new live show announcements soon, so stay tuned for those!

We can´t wait for you guys to hear TIME I material and play it to you live! Have a great summer!

Jari & Wintersun boys"

YES!!! So we'll hopefully get Time I in September/October and then Time II [hopefully] early 2013.

Oh hell yes! I also approve of Jari's use of "Time" in his update lol.

rabenson000
05-30-2012, 02:12 PM
A couple new releases Devin Townsend's "By A Thread Live In London" will be coming out June 19th. I bought the pre order for 45 bucks 5 cd's and 4 dvd's that's not a bad deal.
HcI6yFeASzs
NuPxqqw311U

The new cd from Ihsahn "Eremita" will be coming out June 19th
TP4ZXggc2Yo

And Nile has a new cd "At The Gate Of Sethu" will be coming out July 3rd
CIBqJSCLHPk

Jacks
05-30-2012, 02:24 PM
You guys might get a chuckle out of this.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2012/05/29/19811206-wenn-story.html
Metallica: We can't afford a break

Band tour due to royalty cuts
Metallica are under pressure to keep touring continuously as they no longer receive regular royalty cheques to sustain them during their time off, according to guitarist Kirk Hammett.
The rocker admits all his bandmates would like to take a break to spend time with their families, but the band has to continue working to keep the money rolling in.
He tells Rolling Stone magazine, "The cycles of taking two years off don't exist anymore. We were able to do that because we had record royalties coming in consistently. Now you put out an album, and you have a windfall maybe once or twice but not the way it used to be - a cheque every three months.
"We've been a live band, we've had to get out there and play, play, play... nowadays that was the area we wanted to kind of lay back on a little bit, and kind of enjoy our families and things. But, you know, it is what it is, and we can't change that."

Poor guys :rolleyes:

3 Justin 3
05-30-2012, 03:46 PM
I call BS on so many levels. They make millions on each tour. How about instead of blowing it all at once, put some away and save.

No sympathy from me. I'll give sympathy to bands who haven't had 100 million records sold and aren't a household name who have to play clubs for 10 years to stay afloat.

Jacks
05-30-2012, 04:30 PM
This reminded me of the Camp Chaos skits.

Warning: Language NSFW
VIuR5TNyL8Y

Tyler12
06-24-2012, 09:34 PM

Displaced Flames fan
06-24-2012, 10:42 PM
Todd La Torre is the new lead vocalist of Queensryche.

Lots of drama the last couple of months. Sounds like Wilton will finally get to take the band in a heavier direction.

Inferno
06-25-2012, 12:57 AM
I call BS on so many levels.

I do too which is why I think the comment is taken out of context. They're not just a band anymore. They're a business with employees to pay even when they aren't touring.

http://www.noisecreep.com/2012/05/22/metallica-money/

Discussing the band's upcoming Orion Music + More (http://www.noisecreep.com/2012/02/07/metallica-orion-festival/) festival, Hammett tells writer David Fricke: "Whenever we go on these kinds of endeavors, it's never to make money," laughed the guitar deity. "We want it to be fun and exciting. Maybe break even. Or lose money. Whatever. It's not a financial thing. We're trying to come up with something cool."

Later in the interview, Fricke asked Hammett if Metallica finances their state of the art studio in Northern California with their proceeds from touring: "Yeah. The merchandise. We basically take funds from wherever we can. This is a real luxury. But great things come out of this," said Hammett.

The guitarist also told the writer that the band have to hit the touring circuit to pay their huge overhead: "The cycles of taking two years off don't exist anymore. We were able to do that because we had record royalties coming in consistently. Now you put out an album, and you have a windfall maybe once or twice but not the way it used to be -- a check every three months."

3 Justin 3
06-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Guitar deity and Hammett are two things that should never go together. I like a lot of his solos, but the guy is THE most over-rated guitarist. Ask most true musicians and they will tell you he isn't really that good of a guitarist. He could be, but he loves the Wah pedal and Pentatonic scale too much to do anything creative.

If it weren't for James Hetfield Metallica would be no where. It's funny how one really really good musician can take 2 other mediocre/bad musicians really far.

ernie
06-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Todd La Torre is the new lead vocalist of Queensryche.

Lots of drama the last couple of months. Sounds like Wilton will finally get to take the band in a heavier direction.

For those interested:

The drama is apparently (unconfirmed) that a month or two ago, Tate overheard the other band members talking about firing him backstage at a show. Tate proceeded to threaten Rockenfield with a knife and I believe punched out one of the other members. So they decided to fire him a few days ago (Tate was not actually a founding member despite being the only singer....DeGarmo and the other three remaining members were the band founders).

Now that makes a great story but I suspect the real reason for the firing and what the conversation was about that Tate supposedly overheard was about Tate's committment to the band and if I had to guess, Tate using the band name and "fame" to promote and profit from individual ventures such as his wine business etc. Tate has a solo album coming out soon I believe. it likely didn't help that his wife managed the band etc...

It will be interesting to see where they go. Tate and DeGarmo were the main contributors to songwriting and when DeGarmo left the music went downhill. Now the main lyricist is gone.

ernie
06-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Guitar deity and Hammett are two things that should never go together. I like a lot of his solos, but the guy is THE most over-rated guitarist. Ask most true musicians and they will tell you he isn't really that good of a guitarist. He could be, but he loves the Wah pedal and Pentatonic scale too much to do anything creative.

If it weren't for James Hetfield Metallica would be no where. It's funny how one really really good musician can take 2 other mediocre/bad musicians really far.

Mike Portnoy would disagree with you about Lars even though he's had harsh things to say about Metallica at times. Lars gets sloppy because he no longer keeps himself sharp, but he is one of the most important and influential drummers ever and from the late 80's through a good chunk of the 90's was very good. And no that isn't an exaggeration. When they started making money hand over fist he began to rest on his laurels as did the rest of the band to be honest. He also seems to be getting better again and practicing again.

Inferno
06-25-2012, 12:30 PM

lol, ok

sclitheroe
06-25-2012, 01:25 PM
He could be, but he loves the Wah pedal and Pentatonic scale too much to do anything creative.

You know, I was listening to some Hendrix the other day and thought the same thing. So overrated what with those pentatonics.

Scales are tools. If you can use simple tools that the audience is familiar with to express yourself and connect with them, that's pretty effective artisanship, and creative in its own right.

Senator Clay Davis
06-25-2012, 01:40 PM
I have a few friends who play guitar and it's almost a second hobby bashing Hammett. Indeed the criticisms leveled at him include excessive use of the wah pedal in solo's and his lack of contribution to the band in terms of songwriting. It also doesn't help that he's the 3rd best guitarist Metallica has had. Kirk is a good, not great guitarist, and yes 3Justin3 is 100% correct when he says Metallica wouldn't be anywhere with James, the best rhythm guitarist of all time and primary composer of Metallica.

miraisoup
06-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Big fan of The Agonist here, they just released their 3rd album Prisoners. It is a fantastic album, check it out.

dissentowner
06-25-2012, 02:56 PM
Metallica has no business being in a Metal thread in this day and age. They have not been Metal since And Justice For All.

dissentowner
06-25-2012, 02:57 PM
I have a few friends who play guitar and it's almost a second hobby bashing Hammett. Indeed the criticisms leveled at him include excessive use of the wah pedal in solo's and his lack of contribution to the band in terms of songwriting. It also doesn't help that he's the 3rd best guitarist Metallica has had. Kirk is a good, not great guitarist, and yes 3Justin3 is 100% correct when he says Metallica wouldn't be anywhere with James, the best rhythm guitarist of all time and primary composer of Metallica.
The greatest thing Metallica ever accomplished as a band was to cut loose Dave Mustaine which gave us the awesome gift of Megadeth.

Hemi-Cuda
06-25-2012, 03:02 PM

listen to Dyers Eve and try to tell me that isn't one of the most impressive pieces of drumming in music up to that point. sure he's a bit of a douchnozzel now, but Lars was one of the most important pioneers in metal behind the skins (even if he can't play that song live anymore)

Senator Clay Davis
06-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Depends on how you want to view impressive. It's technically extremely fast drumming, but the drumming pattern itself isn't overly complex. Dave Lombardo for instance says drumming for Fantomas is more difficult than drumming for Slayer, not because it's more phsycially demanding (it's not) but because he has to drum more with feel and touch and not just balls to the wall speed metal. Lars drumming style is indeed based more on physical challenge than technical challenge.

3 Justin 3
06-25-2012, 04:12 PM
For those defending Metallica, which I'm fine with, can you list me other bands that you find good. Just to get a grasp as to why so many people think Metallica is such a good band.

Lars may have been a good drummer at one point, but that point was over two decades ago; and I'm not saying Hammett is a bad guitarist, he just isn't the god like being many people think he is. There are a LOT better guitarists in the world that people haven't heard of. Jari Maenpaa is much better, but I doubt anyone has heard of him.

Inferno
06-25-2012, 04:13 PM
Metallica has no business being in a Metal thread in this day and age. They have not been Metal since And Justice For All.

Just because they haven't been able to top Justice and made the Loads doesn't mean they haven't done anything Metal since. Death Magnetic turned alot of fans who stopped liking them after the 80s back into fans so they must have done something right.

Hemi-Cuda
06-25-2012, 06:09 PM
For those defending Metallica, which I'm fine with, can you list me other bands that you find good. Just to get a grasp as to why so many people think Metallica is such a good band.

Lars may have been a good drummer at one point, but that point was over two decades ago; and I'm not saying Hammett is a bad guitarist, he just isn't the god like being many people think he is. There are a LOT better guitarists in the world that people haven't heard of. Jari Maenpaa is much better, but I doubt anyone has heard of him.

i'm not saying they are good, i'm saying they were good and to attribute their success solely to Hetfield is wrong. they pretty much invented thrash metal in the early 80's, and their first 4 albums are among the best metal albums of all time. ya they sold out and commercialized their sound, but that doesn't mean you can write off how influential they were and say that they rode the coattails of one guy

Itse
06-25-2012, 06:46 PM
I actually very recently heard Metallica live at Sonisphere in Helsinki.

First time for me to see Metallica and generally a bit of a disappointment, although I get that they're old by now. (That said, a lot of metal bands are ancient and most of them are just fine.)

Hetfield was even surprisingly charismatic and can actually put some emotion into his playing, but the rest of the guys, meh. However, I'll give them some slack because Ulrich was really bad at times and it's really hard to keep a good groove if the drummer can't keep up.

Maybe he needs to train harder physically or to hone his technique to be more efficient, but in any case he just simply couldn't do the tough parts, especially if there was a need for a longer steady beat. He just didn't seem very fit for a drummer, especially a metal drummer.

I would guess that he's simply not working hard enough considering his age. The other option is that he's pretty much gone deaf.

In any case certainly he certainly couldn't do their classic albums anymore.

sclitheroe
06-25-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm not saying Hammett is a bad guitarist, he just isn't the god like being many people think he is.

I'm just sticking up for the good ole pentatonic scale. I could care less what hyperbole a writer uses to describe Hammett.

Senator Clay Davis
06-25-2012, 08:58 PM
The greatest thing Metallica ever accomplished as a band was to cut loose Dave Mustaine which gave us the awesome gift of Megadeth.

In some ways though I of course wonder what Metallica would have sounded like with Dave and not Kirk. Or maybe James playing rhythm for Megadeth? Any combo not involving Lars or Kirk works.

Nage Waza
06-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Kirk did great for Metallica, I would have loved to have heard a better drummer.

vektor
06-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Depends on how you want to view impressive. It's technically extremely fast drumming, but the drumming pattern itself isn't overly complex. Dave Lombardo for instance says drumming for Fantomas is more difficult than drumming for Slayer, not because it's more phsycially demanding (it's not) but because he has to drum more with feel and touch and not just balls to the wall speed metal. Lars drumming style is indeed based more on physical challenge than technical challenge.
As someone who has played drums and guitar for more than a decade, metallica is not physically demanding. Lars is always sweaty because he's out of shape and or an alcoholic depending on what time you are viewing one of his performances. Metallica used to write good songs when they had Cliff Burton. Good songs that just so happened to be metal, now they don't have Cliff Burton so they kind of suck. That being said, the drumming was never hard, it is what you'd give a beginner to learn because it's so easy. I love early Metallica, some groundbreaking and memorable stuff, but not hard to play unless you are trying to play the fight fire with fire guitar solo or anything similar.

As for the Kirk vs. Dave debate, consider that the night Cliff Burton died he drew against Kirk for the top bunk and lost when he drew the ace of spades. Could've been Kirk who died and Metallica would have remained the powerhouse they were. People always forget that it was Cliff who wrote the backbone of the songs, he came up with the structure and general idea for a song and the rest just played along with him. He practiced 6 hours a day and the first 3 albums are really Cliff and friends (that begged Cliff to be in their band because without him they were nobodies).

3 Justin 3
06-26-2012, 01:39 AM
As someone who has played drums and guitar for more than a decade, metallica is not physically demanding. Lars is always sweaty because he's out of shape and or an alcoholic depending on what time you are viewing one of his performances. Metallica used to write good songs when they had Cliff Burton. Good songs that just so happened to be metal, now they don't have Cliff Burton so they kind of suck. That being said, the drumming was never hard, it is what you'd give a beginner to learn because it's so easy. I love early Metallica, some groundbreaking and memorable stuff, but not hard to play unless you are trying to play the fight fire with fire guitar solo or anything similar.

As for the Kirk vs. Dave debate, consider that the night Cliff Burton died he drew against Kirk for the top bunk and lost when he drew the ace of spades. Could've been Kirk who died and Metallica would have remained the powerhouse they were. People always forget that it was Cliff who wrote the backbone of the songs, he came up with the structure and general idea for a song and the rest just played along with him. He practiced 6 hours a day and the first 3 albums are really Cliff and friends (that begged Cliff to be in their band because without him they were nobodies).

Metallica has some hardish songs to play on the guitar. Damage, Inc. took me a day to learn the picking technique. Battery is tough for a beginner. Some of the parts on ..and Justice for All album are tough. Overall though, the guitar work really isn't that difficult. Also, Metallica can be physically demanding if you play it like Hetfield does (all downstrokes), gets tiring after a while if you were to play a 1-2 hour show like they would.

People who want tough guitar work should go play Opeth. Mikael is insane.

dissentowner
06-26-2012, 05:21 AM
Just because they haven't been able to top Justice and made the Loads doesn't mean they haven't done anything Metal since. Death Magnetic turned alot of fans who stopped liking them after the 80s back into fans so they must have done something right.
Death Magnetic was a joke, it was still weak as hell compared to their earlier stuff. You can't go back and find that sound once you have become so mainstream hard rock. Same with Korn, they released Remember Who You Are stating they were going back to their roots too and it was a big fail.

Regular_John
06-26-2012, 07:27 AM
Death Magnetic was a joke, it was still weak as hell compared to their earlier stuff. You can't go back and find that sound once you have become so mainstream hard rock. Same with Korn, they released Remember Who You Are stating they were going back to their roots too and it was a big fail.

In all fairness Korn says "We're going back to our roots with this one" before every release.

Inferno
06-26-2012, 09:33 AM

Like I said, they must have did something right if people who stopped liking them after the 80s liked it. Just because it's not MOP 2 doesn't make it a joke and anyone who expected it to be MOP 2 had their expectations set too high or just used it as an excuse to bash them. Think about any big named band out there in any genre who have been around just as long or longer than them. Their best stuff is from the first ten years.

dissentowner
06-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Like I said, they must have did something right if people who stopped liking them after the 80s liked it. Just because it's not MOP 2 doesn't make it a joke and anyone who expected it to be MOP 2 had their expectations set too high or just used it as an excuse to bash them. Think about any big named band out there in any genre who have been around just as long or longer than them. Their best stuff is from the first ten years.
Rush says hi.

Puppet Guy
06-26-2012, 09:37 AM
just out of curiosity, for the fans who came back to Metallica after Death Magnetic, how did you feel about them after listening to Lulu?

Puppet Guy
06-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Rush says hi.

Iron Maiden and Motorhead are at this party, too.

Regular_John
06-26-2012, 09:42 AM
just out of curiosity, for the fans who came back to Metallica after Death Magnetic, how did you feel about them after listening to Lulu?

Personally I didn't get what the big stink about LuLu was, it's not like it had a huge Metallica logo on the cover and then they opted to tour for 2 years behind it. Yes it was unlistenable tripe for the most part, but I don't recall the Metallica marketing machine pushing it as anything but a pet project and a chance to work with some one they respected.

Senator Clay Davis
06-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Death Magnetic is in the eye of the beholder. If you listened to the awfulness of Load, Reload and St. Anger (and the eponymous album to a lesser extent), obviously you'd think Death Magnetic is a very good album. In the context of the entire bands career though, its simply a mediocre album that is saved by songs like All Nightmare Long and Cyanide. The last great piece of music from Metallica is Garage Inc. Disc 2 (1998), and of course thats mostly songs recorded in the 80s anyways.

Inferno
06-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Iron Maiden and Motorhead are at this party, too.

They were at their best when they were younger though. That's my point.

Inferno
06-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Personally I didn't get what the big stink about LuLu was, it's not like it had a huge Metallica logo on the cover and then they opted to tour for 2 years behind it. Yes it was unlistenable tripe for the most part, but I don't recall the Metallica marketing machine pushing it as anything but a pet project and a chance to work with some one they respected.

Yep, Lulu is a Lou Reed album with them being a supporting act. It's terrible because Lou sounds like a babbling drunk.

3 Justin 3
06-26-2012, 02:20 PM

You know when DM came out I was really digging it, finally some Metallica that wasn't terrible. The more I listen to it though it really isn't that good. They preached "we're going back to long songs" (like ...and Justice for All), but really that isn't what made the music good. A proper thrash song shouldn't be 7-9 minutes long. All Nightmare Long is a pretty bad ass song, the one riff in That Was Just Your Lift is pretty good, My Apocalypse is pretty good.

Hard to write an album as good as your earlier stuff when you have been writing crap for two decades. I don't totally blame them for selling out though, Megadeth had some pretty rough albums for a time and their newest, 13, isn't that good. Endgame is really good though.

Hemi-Cuda
06-26-2012, 03:36 PM
You know when DM came out I was really digging it, finally some Metallica that wasn't terrible. The more I listen to it though it really isn't that good. They preached "we're going back to long songs" (like ...and Justice for All), but really that isn't what made the music good. A proper thrash song shouldn't be 7-9 minutes long. All Nightmare Long is a pretty bad ass song, the one riff in That Was Just Your Lift is pretty good, My Apocalypse is pretty good.

Hard to write an album as good as your earlier stuff when you have been writing crap for two decades. I don't totally blame them for selling out though, Megadeth had some pretty rough albums for a time and their newest, 13, isn't that good. Endgame is really good though.

my problem with DM is the snare drum. so....much....snare. the production is pretty terrible too, their albums from the 80's sound better than DM

FlamingLonghorn
06-26-2012, 04:00 PM
My friends who toured with Metallica said they were the nicest headliner they ever opened for. Every other band wouldn't even talk to them, where Metallica let them travel with them on their private jet. I am not a Metallica fan, but arguing about music taste is pretty stupid. I love when people bring up technical skill. Who gives a damn? If you like a band's music who gives a crap if it's hard to play? Writing good music is much harder than being a technical master at something. I'd rather listen to Municipal Waste or pretty much anyone than Steve Vai/Eric Johnson/Malmsteen/whatever guitar god.

FlamingLonghorn
06-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Speaking of Municipal Waste, new video released today (I think):

rtOyqrNPzsY

3 Justin 3
06-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Municipal Waste kicks ass. That video was awesome.

AC
06-26-2012, 05:57 PM
TankCrimes is giving away the new Municipal Waste / Toxic Holocaust split for free here:
http://downloads.tankcrimes.com/album/toxic-waste

4thLiner
06-26-2012, 10:21 PM
True that Buff, who are these bands??

topfiverecords
06-26-2012, 10:33 PM
True that Buff, who are these bands??

Ban these IPs.

Hemi-Cuda
06-27-2012, 12:08 PM
a new Testament track from the upcoming album has been released, True American Hate

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=175960

sounds pretty awesome, hard to believe these guys are in the same generation as Metallica and Megadeth. their sound hasn't softened up one bit, it's only gotten heavier

rabenson000
06-28-2012, 11:58 PM
According to the Czech news web site Novinky, LAMB OF GOD singer Randy Blythe was arrested earlier today
According to the Czech news web site Novinky, LAMB OF GOD singer Randy Blythe was arrested earlier today (Thursday, June 28) in the Czech Republic and charged with manslaughter over an incident that happened more than two years ago.

Blythe reportedly got into an altercation with a fan during the band's show at the Prague club Abaton in May 2010 and the fan later died of his injuries.

When LAMB OF GOD arrived on Thursday to play a show at the Rock Café in Prague with SKELETONWITCH and ALL SHALL PERISH, the local police brought the musician in for questioning. LAMB OF GOD's appearance at the venue was canceled later in the day.

A spokesperson for LAMB OF GOD says that Blythe is "wrongly accused," that the band's "lawyers are dealing with it," and that "we expect him to be fully exonerated."
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=176074

Regular_John
06-29-2012, 07:26 AM
Manslaughter? Damn that's not the typical exposure/drugs/assault I'd expect to see a rockstar charged with.

Senator Clay Davis
06-29-2012, 07:33 AM
Holy crap, manslaughter? Guess this probably means LOG won't be coming to town in August since Randy obviously has much much bigger issues to deal with.

YYC in LAX
06-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Not sure about the details of the event in 2010, but I hope it works out for Randy. Sounds like the fan jumped on stage and an altercation took place.

3 Justin 3
08-07-2012, 06:54 PM
FINALLY!!!

Wintersun's much anticipated second album finally has a release date after countless years.

October 12 is the official release date for Time 1.

The tracklisting looks like this:

1. When Time Fades Away
I Rain of Stars
4. Darkness and Frost
5. Time

Tyler12
08-07-2012, 09:31 PM
pDcqIZmP4gM&hd=1

Tyler12
08-07-2012, 09:41 PM
rUdEpaILWOg&hd=1

Puppet Guy
08-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Dave Mustaine pipes in about the recent gun violence in the US:

Nope, nothing to see here… just Megadeth (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/artist/megadeth/5179) frontman Dave Mustaine (http://forum.calgarypuck.com/artist/dave-mustaine/89555), a noted birther, adopting a freshly concocted conspiracy claiming President Barack Obama was somehow responsible for recent mass shootings in Colorado and Wisconsin.

"Back in my country, my president is trying to pass a gun ban," Mustaine said at a concert in Singapore last week. "So he's staging all of these murders, like the Fast and Furious thing down at the border and Aurora, Colorado, all the people that were killed there. And now the beautiful people at the Sikh temple."

The accusation, that Obama staged the massacres in order to justify a gun ban, drew a seemingly confused reaction from audience members, as heard in video footage of the episode.

Read more at http://www.billboard.com/news/dave-mustaine-obama-staged-aurora-sikh-temple-1007844352.story#GdddWzpczmMogVko.99

Regular_John
08-16-2012, 10:58 AM

[/COLOR][/LEFT]

The garbage that comes out of Dave Mustaine's mouth should be used to keep kids off drugs.

"Hey kids, here's a fully grown adult who did a ton of drugs back in the day. Here are some of the things he now believes"

Puppet Guy
08-16-2012, 11:00 AM
The garbage that comes out of Dave Mustaine's mouth should be used to keep kids off drugs.

"Hey kids, here's a fully grown adult who did a ton of drugs back in the day. Here are some of the things he now believes"

the dangers of doing drugs: they turn you into Dave Mustaine.

Senator Clay Davis
08-16-2012, 02:08 PM
I guess that basically means Mustaine is probably a 9/11 truther and believes the birth certificate isn't real. Musicians should rock, and stick to it. There are only a few really well spoken and well informed musicians out there.

3 Justin 3
08-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Mustaine can write some good music, but his views on society as a whole (religion, government, people, etc.) are so screwed up. In every interview I've watched with him he comes off as the biggest twat.

IgnitedSoul
08-17-2012, 12:20 AM
Korpiklaani's come out with a new album, Manala. I haven't listened through the whole thing yet, but I get the feeling that it'll be fun as ever.

PJwo6bMKBaw

:beer:

Puppet Guy
08-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Korpiklaani's come out with a new album, Manala. I haven't listened through the whole thing yet, but I get the feeling that it'll be fun as ever.

PJwo6bMKBaw

:beer:

Korpiklaani could put out 60 minutes of their beer-belching and it'd still be a fun record.

Hemi-Cuda
08-17-2012, 09:34 AM

[/COLOR][/LEFT]

i really hate it when people i admire professionaly start talking politics and reveal themselves as complete morons. first Tim Thomas, and now Mustaine (i knew about his supporting Rick Santorum position, but this is another level of ridiculous)

Puppet Guy
08-17-2012, 09:45 AM
...and now Dave's backtracking:

In an interview with U.S. radio host Alex Jones, Mustaine says, "In the heat of the moment, when you're onstage and you're talking, sometimes you're not as eloquent as you'd like to be... We really need to investigate this... "I love our country and my whole thing with this is that I think we should just look into it... I just think that we deserve to know the truth - that's it.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2012/08/17/20111866-wenn-story.html

Deuce Bigalow
08-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Metallica covers Deep Purples "When a blind man Cries" for the upcoming tribute album.

EWHZROP5VCI

Anyone hitting edmonton this weekend for the shows? I'm off to van for them next week.

Inferno
08-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Anyone hitting edmonton this weekend for the shows? I'm off to van for them next week.

I'll be at both in Vancouver.

Dodsdomd
08-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Any folks here attend a Maryland Deathfest before?

Hans Landa
08-19-2012, 07:50 PM
i really hate it when people i admire professionaly start talking politics and reveal themselves as complete morons.

How are they complete morons for having their own, individual views?

Partial morons might be more fair to them, especially if you admired them in the past?

With the exception of 2 guys, I disagree with nearly all of my friends on every social and political issue you could possibly debate. I disagree with my wife on social and political issues.

Luckily, there is more to life and a person's complete character than their views on a few sensitive topics.

I'm surprised anyone here with parents in their 60's or older don't hate their own fathers.

Don't feel guilty about liking someone for their admirable qualities just because they aren't your complete version of a perfect human being on every subject.

Edit (to keep this on topic):

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOPETH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hemi-Cuda
08-19-2012, 11:10 PM
How are they complete morons for having their own, individual views?

Partial morons might be more fair to them, especially if you admired them in the past?

With the exception of 2 guys, I disagree with nearly all of my friends on every social and political issue you could possibly debate. I disagree with my wife on social and political issues.

Luckily, there is more to life and a person's complete character than their views on a few sensitive topics.

I'm surprised anyone here with parents in their 60's or older don't hate their own fathers.

Don't feel guilty about liking someone for their admirable qualities just because they aren't your complete version of a perfect human being on every subject.

Edit (to keep this on topic):

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOPETH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mustaine flat out said that Obama setup the mass killings in Aurora and Wisconsin. i don't care what he did in the past, he is a complete moron now

FanIn80
08-27-2012, 09:24 AM

I'd been one of the biggest haters since about 5 seconds after the big "world-wide debut" of Enter Sandman on MuchMusic 23 years ago. I know all about throwing up in my mouth a couple years later when they cut their hair, and essentially never listening to anything post-Justice, but Death Magnetic was a great album. I'm not sure it would fit anywhere in between Kill em All, Lightning, Puppets or Justice, but it certainly sounds like the album we should have had in 1990, instead of the one we got.

Beyond Magnetic is even better.

Js0ohwYD-7g

8zIwlZNzYQg

Saying they don't belong in a metal thread will get you a few thanks from people who haven't really given their last two albums a chance, but it's no longer true. I just saw them in Edmonton, and those motherf***ers are going out the way they came in. The prodigal horsemen are back.

Senator Clay Davis
08-27-2012, 09:33 AM
See the problem with Metallica albums is how they're judged. Never on their own mertis, just versus other albums in their catalogue. Yes, compared to Metallica/Load/Reload/St. Anger, Death Magnetic is a very good album. Compared to all metal albums though? I mean Mastodon has 3 better record this decade, as does Opeth. Megadeth's "The System Has Failed" is a vastly superior album to Death Magnectic, and so on. So within what has happened to Metallica since 1988, DM is a great album. Against every other metal release in recent memory, it doesn't even approach a top-10 list.

Fire Element
08-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Testament has been thrashing harder than Metallica for decades.

Hemi-Cuda
08-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Testament has been thrashing harder than Metallica for decades.

not only that, the older those guys get the harder they sound. this makes some of their older stuff sound downright tame

F5TvF88xVVo

oh and Chuck Billy is the greatest vocalist in metal today

billybob123
08-27-2012, 08:22 PM
And Testament is playing Mac Hall Sept 21, with Anthrax. I don't think I can make it with the new baby, but I'd highly recommend it to anyone. Testament is awesome to watch, esp Chuck Billy. I've seen them three times. Anthrax is great live too.

3 Justin 3
08-27-2012, 10:04 PM
I've never seen a vocalist have as much fun on stage than Chuck Billy. The guy will always grab the mic stand like a guitar and thrash out with the guitarists and go crazy.

He also has a great voice.

Might have to go.

Hemi-Cuda
08-27-2012, 10:51 PM
ok i can't go into a thread discussing Testament without posting one of my favorite songs of all time

0Ks1S5e4GOc

that entire album was just so sick. Chuck Billy and crew at their peak, and Dave Lombardo on drums. not one song on that disc didn't kick ass

rabenson000
08-27-2012, 11:05 PM
http://www.metaltraveller.com/images/testament/testament_sweden_rock_festival_2008_chuck_billy.JP G
Chuck Billy the best air guitarist around

And of course Alex Skolnick was killer on the new album
r57gUjDe3jU
XB3On1KTok8
O3xHnAh6haQ

3 Justin 3
08-28-2012, 12:56 AM
Just listened to Leviathan from Mastadon again and by god it is a work of genius. What an album!

labytsb3gfI

YYC in LAX
08-28-2012, 08:24 AM
Anyone else here a fan of World Under Blood? Deron Miller formerly of CKY teamed up with Tim Yeung of Divine Heresy and Morbid Angel to create a molodic death metal album. It's been out for about a year now and I still listen to it everyday. This is precision instrument playing.

yl2TfF5tY9k
ChNbBPSLgn4
WIFL1cUE3xE

Matata
08-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Devin Townsend's 'By a thread' quadruple live shows are still kicking my ass. Very rare to see a 40 year old musician still in his creative and musical prime. I think he's the best singer/songwriter/producer in metal today, so maybe I'm biased:

22Gkc6HOTs8
zxEd4NipVDA
57hs37Yq_3s

Fire Element
08-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Strapping Young Awesome ^^^^

Senator Clay Davis
08-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Devin is truly metal's all-time greatest madman. King Diamond is pretty great, but Devin is like legitimately insane.

rabenson000
08-28-2012, 09:29 PM
Devin jumped the gun and put his new album Epicloud in it's entirety with commentary on Youtube you guys get a chance to listen to it before it was taken down?
Freaking amazing album!
OngSHLiBoK4

Max Cow Disease
08-28-2012, 10:18 PM
Didn't know this was coming out, sounds great! Another album to look forward to. 2012 has admirably seasoned my metal catalogue so far.

Hemi-Cuda
08-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Devin Townsend's 'By a thread' quadruple live shows are still kicking my ass. Very rare to see a 40 year old musician still in his creative and musical prime. I think he's the best singer/songwriter/producer in metal today, so maybe I'm biased:

jesus christ that concert must have been incredible to see live. Addicted! is one of my favorite albums of the last 10 years, absolutely flawless

Hemi-Cuda
08-28-2012, 11:09 PM
good lord is Anneke sexy

4TI2Ao_Z00U

Nyah
08-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Bison BC

8hc5iGF7ghk

Fom_LC1ZkgE

Fire Element
08-29-2012, 04:22 PM
The Faceless, new album... Autotheism. Sick. That is all.

miraisoup
08-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Don't know how many are interested but I love Dethklok, riffs are amazing. They put up a new song from the new album.

http://soundcloud.com/wmstrecs/dethklok-i-ejaculate-fire