Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #1
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Selling tickets over face value on CP? (Split from STH renewals)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
One of the considerations this year is that often it is difficult to sell your tickets at STH cost. In past years even when we weren't in a playoff position, you could at least get your money back. Combine that with every game being available in HD sometimes you have to wonder if it's worth it.
If we could sell tickets here above face value, then for the games that aren't as popular, it won't feel as bad to take a hit when we can't recover our costs. Since there aren't any ticketmaster or StubHub fees, the tickets can be sold to the consumer for less than they would pay on the outside sites. Sellers make the same, and buyers pay less. The buyers become more CP members, so the Dome stays red, instead of being infiltrated with blue and white. These people remember these seats, and then they buy tickets again for the non-premium games from the same sellers. STHs find it easier to get rid of their tickets, and everybody is happy.

This is in addition to it being legal to sell tickets above face value in Alberta since 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
If we could sell tickets here above face value, then for the games that aren't as popular, it won't feel as bad to take a hit when we can't recover our costs. Since there aren't any ticketmaster or StubHub fees, the tickets can be sold to the consumer for less than they would pay on the outside sites. Sellers make the same, and buyers pay less. The buyers become more CP members, so the Dome stays red, instead of being infiltrated with blue and white. These people remember these seats, and then they buy tickets again for the non-premium games from the same sellers. STHs find it easier to get rid of their tickets, and everybody is happy.

This is in addition to it being legal to sell tickets above face value in Alberta since 2009.
Do you think if you continue to bring up selling for above face over, and over again they'll change the rules?
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #3
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Use the NHL Ticket Exchange. The seller fees are less than Stubhub, and they let you sell for below face (which I can't do with my Kansas City Chiefs season tickets).
Old 03-07-2016, 04:19 PM   #4
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Do you think if you continue to bring up selling for above face over, and over again they'll change the rules?
I do. Instead of just being frustrated with the situation, I try and change it for the better. That's how women got the right to vote. Being that this solution would solve a moderator's problem, I thought I'd bring it up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Use the NHL Ticket Exchange. The seller fees are less than Stubhub, and they let you sell for below face (which I can't do with my Kansas City Chiefs season tickets).
I do use both. Whichever one sells first gets the sale. With the weakening CAD vs. the USD, and the convenience and security of ticketmaster, most of my sales were through ticketmaster this year.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #5
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
If we could sell tickets here above face value, then for the games that aren't as popular, it won't feel as bad to take a hit when we can't recover our costs.

I don't see how selling tickets over face value here would help. My experience is that if there is a game that would sell for over face- there are other places you can sell them.

Never mind that some of the more commonly scalped games went for below face value this year. Look at the Leafs game.

And part of what makes CP Ticket Exchange work is that it is within the community. You said it yourself- keep the Dome red. What do you think would happen if CP became a place to sell tickets over face value? We'd lose our small community advantage.

Anyway- not wanting to derail the thread. Just wanted to give you an answer.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:37 PM   #6
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I do. Instead of just being frustrated with the situation, I try and change it for the better. That's how women got the right to vote. Being that this solution would solve a moderator's problem, I thought I'd bring it up again.
You're the guy that whines when he only gets a 40% mark up from what he paid for Flames playoff tickets, and brags that his property taxes went up 300%

It's time to give it a break.

Last edited by Yoho; 03-07-2016 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You're the guy that whines when he only gets a 40% mark up from what he paid for Flames playoff tickets, and brags that his property taxes went up 300%

It's time to give it a break.
Nothing what you have written is even close to the truth. I thought your rant sounded familiar, and then I remembered this beauty from you:

Quote:
Let me guess, you want to make your $3-350 profit per seat take home, but don't like dealing with the creeps on kijiji, so you'd like the mods to constantly do all the filtering for you of unreputables so that you could make that profit quicker and with less headache.

If you want quick, simple, and trustworthy transaction sell the tickets for face value here. If you want to make your obscene $350 per seat go deal with the scum bags on kijiji
You're using the same, unfounded shtick, where you don't actually read anything that was written. Last time it was $350 per seat, and now it is a 40% markup. Your math is wrong on both counts, but that doesn't surprise me. The post that you replied to then gave some mathematical data on why I would allow selling above face value. If you don't agree with that, that's fine, but at least have the decency to read what was written, instead of making up figures that make your position a hyperbolic charade. I have never once whined/complained/felt jilted/etc. about the selling price of my, or anyone else's tickets. I have said, on multiple occasions, that I don't feel sorry for someone if they buy tickets and can't sell them, or have to sell them at a loss.

I've also never bragged that my property taxes went up 300%. I did mention that my property tax assessment value went up by 15%. Since the mill rate for Vancouver hasn't been established for 2016, I can't say exactly what I'll pay in 2016. The mill rate has gone each year for at least 16 years, so I'm not sure I'll pay that much more. If the mill rate decreases by the same rate it's decreased in the last two years, I'll pay $360 more in property taxes in 2016 than I did in 2015, which is a 6.6% increase. That's a far cry from the 300% you said I was bragging about.

I get that you don't like me, but that doesn't concern me. If you are going to complain about something, at least make one part of your post contain some relevant, or factual, information. I know facts can get in the way of your rant, but give them a try.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-08-2016, 10:24 AM   #8
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My math is just fine Squiggs, last year first round greens playoff tickets were $125 if all you did as a season ticket holder was sell at face value you would still make approx $160 on your 4 seats. But that's not what you want is it? You want the big payoff.

The Kijiji list prices of upwards of $350 per seat that we saw. And even though you would get that on Stub hub you moaned that you had to pay their kick back fees.

It's fair for you to ask for more than face value but do it on the proper sites like Stub hub or deal with the kijiji zombies.

IMO we don't need the problem that scalped tickets bring on this site.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:26 PM   #9
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My math is just fine Squiggs, last year first round greens playoff tickets were $125 if all you did as a season ticket holder was sell at face value you would still make approx $160 on your 4 seats. But that's not what you want is it? You want the big payoff.
You math is not right. You said I was bragging about a 300% property tax increase, when I wasn't bragging, and it's only about 6.6%. Your math isn't even close.

The first time you complained about my tickets, you said I wanted to profit $300-350 per ticket. I have shown that I wanted $300 in net proceeds. Unless the tickets cost me $0, then I am not wanting a profit of $300-$350 per ticket. I was looking at a profit of about $240 per ticket. I have never said I only wanted face value. If the market value for tickets is $300 per ticket, why would I sell my ticket for $125? That makes no sense. I wouldn't sell my house for $500,000 if it was worth $1,200,000. I wouldn't sell my house for $500 less if I had other offers of $500 more, no matter what the price level it was at, if both offers were equal.

You also said I whined over only getting a 40% markup. If I was getting a 40% markup I'd have sold the tickets for $84 each. I never whined, and I never marked them up 40%.

Let's further suppose that I sold green tickets in round one for $125 each, and I sold all four of them. You said this would make me $160 on the four seats. It's actually $263.

There are four examples of your math being wrong.

Quote:
The Kijiji list prices of upwards of $350 per seat that we saw. And even though you would get that on Stub hub you moaned that you had to pay their kick back fees.
Here's another example of you being wrong. I never once moaned about the fees that ticketmaster or StubHub charged. The entire premise of my argument was that I was looking for x amount of dollars in revenue, which in my example was $300 per ticket. I don't care if I sell it here, ticketmaster, StubHub, eBay, or on Kijiji. My goal was to show that if I sell a ticket here for $300, then the buyer is only paying $300. If I sell it on ticketmaster then the buyer pays $405. Either way, I still get the exact same amount. I set my price by what I want to take home. This means setting it at $333 in order to get $300. I was trying to show that having a place here that allows seller to sell above face value would save the buyers money, and would bring about repeat sales that would help the sellers. It was a win win.

I have many times stated that I think businesses should make money for their fees. I was trying to find a way to minimize these fees, and keep the money in buyers' pockets. I'll state it again: my cut is exactly the same, no matter which avenue I take. I am happy to pay the fees to ticketmaster, because they are facilitating the purchase and sale transaction, taking the liability for the the purchase, and are providing a market place that allows me to sell tickets. I'm not sure I can be any more clear on this.

Quote:
It's fair for you to ask for more than face value but do it on the proper sites like Stub hub or deal with the kijiji zombies.

IMO we don't need the problem that scalped tickets bring on this site.
I've had many pleasant sales on kijiji and craigslist, from tickets, to furniture, to video games. You seem jaded by them.

I am of the opinion that we should have the discussion on whether to allow tickets to be sold above face value here. You said that you don't need the problems that scalped tickets would bring, but you never stated what these problems are. If you bring actual problems and facts, then I might even agree with you. That's the whole point of having a reasoned debate. Lying and mudslinging isn't going to help either side.

You can absolutely have the opinion that you don't want tickets to be sold over face value here. I have never once tried to say you couldn't have this view. When you make up figures, and use hyperbole, you lose all credibility in your argument. When you make up lies by stating that I'm whining, crying, moaning, etc. over fees, when the exact opposite is true, you look foolish.

All you have to do is say that you would prefer tickets are sold at face value or less on this site. That's a valid opinion and stance to have. You can give a multitude of reasons for having this opinion, but when you lie about me, and make up words and figures to dramatize your point, that's offensive to me.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: