Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you support leaving the CPP and creating a new Alberta Pension Plan?
I consider myself a Conservative and support an APP 14 4.05%
I consider myself a Conservative and do not support an APP 76 21.97%
I do not consider myself a Conservative and support an APP 8 2.31%
I do not consider myself a Conservative and do not support an APP 227 65.61%
I don't know 21 6.07%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2023, 07:44 PM   #21
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really dislike the framing of the poll, because I think temperamentally I'm a pretty conservative person, and I don't see an ounce of conservatism in the modern right wing movement.

I'd love to see a party that fosters social infrastructure in an economically responsible way, with an eye towards reducing overall cost now and in the future. I'd love to see a party that is focused on protecting our institutions rather than trying to rip them down like the cons, trying to skirt them like the libs, or just hopelessly bashing the idea of them without better suggestions like the Dems. I'd love to see a party that wants to protect our our resources in a sustainable way. But right now we have me first and them gimmie gimmies running the movement, and just isn't conservativism, they don't give a crap if they ruin our pension in the future, as long as it is marginally better for the next 10 years until their turn over their caucus and by then they can blame the old guy anyways.

So I voted not a con and don't support.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2023, 07:49 PM   #22
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I am geniunely curious on how the CPP works.

Are there any fund managers investing and growing the money in the plan? Or is it just using young taxpayers' money to pay the old retirees?
https://www.cppinvestments.com/the-f...annual-report/

The info is public domain.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 08:00 PM   #23
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
With returns like that, it's too bad there isn't a "manged by CPP" ETF Canadians could invest in. Far better for most than gambling in the stock market, or using some schisty "broker" who does what their name says for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Been there, lost that. Not something I'd recommend to anyone. Particularly knowing what I know now about them. Did you miss my "broker" quip?
Oh I got it, and it’s hilarious. I just think the entire sector gets a bad rap because of some bad actors.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 08:05 PM   #24
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think an Alberta Pension Plan is an absolutely horrible idea. The CPP is well run and it's always better to have a bigger pool.

I 100% don't trust the UCP about anything. I especially don't trust them to run an APP at arms' length. I think they are pushing this for one of two reasons. 1) They want to use the money to fund their pet projects and supporters and don't give a #### about Albertans in general. 2) They know that it isn't possible and are using this to push for separation or inflame the Alberta vs Canada rhetoric even more. (Can they seriously stop doing this? I don't care what parties are involved, I want governments to work together, not waste time and resources complaining.)
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2023, 08:31 PM   #25
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I think an Alberta Pension Plan is an absolutely horrible idea. The CPP is well run and it's always better to have a bigger pool.

I 100% don't trust the UCP about anything. I especially don't trust them to run an APP at arms' length. I think they are pushing this for one of two reasons. 1) They want to use the money to fund their pet projects and supporters and don't give a #### about Albertans in general. 2) They know that it isn't possible and are using this to push for separation or inflame the Alberta vs Canada rhetoric even more. (Can they seriously stop doing this? I don't care what parties are involved, I want governments to work together, not waste time and resources complaining.)
A bigger Heritage Fund to pilfer.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 09:03 PM   #26
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I voted as a conservative not wanting an APP .
I am conservative; the UCP is not!
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2023, 09:04 PM   #27
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This poll is a microchasm of Canada. Lots of loud self righteous voices, yet the results Don't match the comments. Lots of folks going to be shocked and upset next election.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 09:12 PM   #28
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
This poll is a microchasm of Canada. Lots of loud self righteous voices, yet the results Don't match the comments. Lots of folks going to be shocked and upset next election.
They don't? In this thread the comments are universally against the APP and right now the vote is 106-7 against it. Seems pretty consistent to me.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2023, 09:21 PM   #29
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Well in that case you wouldn't consider yourself a Conservative right?
Pretty easy then to pick one of the 3rd or 4th options.

The idea was to get a sample of people who were more likely to support the UCP.
Despite popular belief the definitions of liberal and conservative are very subjective.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 10:20 PM   #30
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm definitely nervous about this. As is my staunch lifer Conservative father approaching retirement, he's not happy at all. Really hoping this goes sideways before it can happen...
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 11:18 PM   #31
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Using Toombes numbers a max contributor would save $500 per year assuming equal returns and constant benefits. Employers would also save this amount. So about 14%.

Essentially it’s a bet in the oil industry. If it continues to outperform the rest of the Canadian economy then Alberta will have strong in migration and are better off with an APP. If it doesn’t then we are likely better off in CPP. I bet enough of my assets on oil is like to keep things separate

I also don’t trust Albertans to think long term. We continuously choose short term tax breaks / spending over saving. When Prentice asked us to look in the mirror we booted him. A PST would be political suicide despite the fact that having one would have enabled us not to be reliant on oil by now. In general we chose short term prosperity over long. We are not a group of voters who should be in charge of a defined benefit pension plan.

So for $500 per year it’s not worth risking the final backstop of my retirement. The only piece with zero longevity risk. So independent of the government in power I am against the APP.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2023, 11:20 PM   #32
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any of the pro APP posters want to share which set of numbers they believe, why they select that dataset and why that leads them to prefer an APP?
Old 09-27-2023, 11:21 PM   #33
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Despite popular belief the definitions of liberal and conservative are very subjective.
You have used a small ‘C’ not a large ‘C’ like in the poll.
Old 09-28-2023, 05:06 AM   #34
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The younger and harder working argument isn't that great. CPP isn't an automatic entitlement. What you get is based on what each individual put in.

I mean sure a younger population has more people paying in now, but the people collecting paid into it their entire lives. Eventually the people paying in now will collect their fair share, based on what they paid in.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2023, 05:14 AM   #35
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The younger and harder working argument isn't that great. CPP isn't an automatic entitlement. What you get is based on what each individual put in.

I mean sure a younger population has more people paying in now, but the people collecting paid into it their entire lives. Eventually the people paying in now will collect their fair share, based on what they paid in.
Did the original post not cover that?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:01 AM   #36
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

This is being framed as as 'we don't like the feds' issue. So lets play that game.

Don't like the feds.
Think the feds are screwing Alberta over.
Think the Liberals are morons.
Think the BoC has been acting like a drunk kid on crack.
Think the entire economic outlook for Canada is dog####.
Think other provinces are happy milking the Alberta Advantage.
Etc
Etc
Etc

But.

CPP is well run. Well designed. Results are there, have been there across multiple governments. They have managed their way through recessions, austerity, stupid government spending, on and on and on. Oh, and they have had the balls to look ahead 20-30 years and realize gotta pay more in to get the program healthy.

Why, why, why would ANYONE look at it as ANYTHING but a massive success, and especially these days a major bright spot for Canada.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
#-3
Old 09-28-2023, 08:05 AM   #37
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A better question is "why would anyone who voted for Smith be surprised and disappointed she is doing this?"
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2023, 08:08 AM   #38
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

I also don’t trust Albertans to think long term. We continuously choose short term tax breaks / spending over saving. When Prentice asked us to look in the mirror we booted him. A PST would be political suicide despite the fact that having one would have enabled us not to be reliant on oil by now. In general we chose short term prosperity over long. We are not a group of voters who should be in charge of a defined benefit pension plan.
A substantial number of people living (and voting) in Albertan are just here to make money during their peak earning years, and then return to elsewhere in Canada when the energy industry declines, or to retire. They don’t concern themselves with the strength of public health care or education in the province 30 or 40 years down the road. In that light, it’s understandable that maximizing their take-home pay here and now is their overriding political concern.

So no, I don’t trust voters in this province to make wise long-term decisions.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 09-28-2023 at 08:13 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2023, 08:29 AM   #39
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
A substantial number of people living (and voting) in Albertan are just here to make money during their peak earning years, and then return to elsewhere in Canada when the energy industry declines, or to retire. They don’t concern themselves with the strength of public health care or education in the province 30 or 40 years down the road. In that light, it’s understandable that maximizing their take-home pay here and now is their overriding political concern.

So no, I don’t trust voters in this province to make wise long-term decisions.
Good point. It's also such a problem with democracies in general. How do you compel somebody to vote for the best interests of the collective versus their own self interests? Unfortunately, you can't, but how cool would it be if you could?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 08:46 AM   #40
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

I voted no switch. But the people collecting now didn't pay their fair share. Every contribution year before the changes in the '90s someone is collecting on they underpaid.

Edited to add: that's why the argument that Alberta's population could age doesn't make any difference. It isn't that younger is necessarily better going forward. It's that the ratio of people paying their share plus a bit extra now to the people who didn't cover their share before the 90s changes is higher.

The "unfairness" in the system isn't geographic, it's generational.

Last edited by bizaro86; 09-28-2023 at 08:52 AM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e=ng , stop the madness