Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 03-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #181
puds
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Disappointing but in the end it's not that big of a deal we probably lost out on a 3rd/5th round pick. I'm fine with not setting a precedent of trading our players for less than they are worth.

Look at what Vanek returned a few months ago (1st round pick, 2nd round pick, Matt Moulson) vs Today (Collberg, 2nd round pick).

Would have liked something but looking at the context we weren't going to be getting tangible assets for Cammi.
puds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #182
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Berra trade is the biggest win of the entire day...put the pitchforks down
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #183
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah looks like from now on it's better to not wait until the deadline. The Sabres got great returns for Vanek, Miller, and Ott by not waiting until the last minute. Heck Ott basically returned a first rounder, which no trade involving a pending UFA returned today. Looks like from now on you need to make the trade mid-season along with eating a portion of the salary.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #184
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If Burke could get a 2nd for Berra but couldn't get a return for Cammalleri, are we more inclined to believe that Burke misjudged the trade market, or that Cammalleri had precious little interest from around the league.

I am inclined to believe Cammalleri had little to no value to anyone else in the NHL.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #185
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Negotiating is a longer term endeavour when you're in professional sports, not just a "get what I can today" thing.
You do realize that today - or the draft - is probably Brian Burke's last go-around as a guy who negotiates NHL trades, right? "Burke's reputation as a tough negotiator" is a might thin straw to be grasping at.

A rebuild is about turning declining assets into appreciating assets. Burke failed at it today. Pretty simple.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 02:22 PM   #186
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

yeah Camalleri's play this season probably made his return next to nothing
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #187
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on how Cammy played since Dec i don't want him resigned. He floated around in more shifts than he has been a positive hard working role model for younger players.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:24 PM   #188
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
If Burke could get a 2nd for Berra but couldn't get a return for Cammalleri, are we more inclined to believe that Burke misjudged the trade market, or that Cammalleri had precious little interest from around the league.

I am inclined to believe Cammalleri had little to no value to anyone else in the NHL.
Absolutely agree.

I cringe at the thought of reading the notes from all those scouts that came to watch Cammalleri play in the last two months.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #189
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Red Ice Player; 03-05-2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: ditto eyesore
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #190
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ice Player View Post
Nice hissy fit. What a disgusting post.
you're right, i meant it more in jest, but yeah that image sux, i'll take it down, and sorry bout the bummer

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #191
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The latter, plus the fact that he has a huge price tag and not a lot of players have cap room.

My bet is still, there was a deal with Anahaim that fell through for some reason. Contenders don't trade their top line winger for nothing, and not recoup that.

Not sure what happened though
Old 03-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #192
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Clearly, the value wasn't as high as we were hoping for, but I just don't buy that nobody wanted the guy. The guy is a proven performer in the playoff...I just don't see how that's not worth at least a 2nd/3rd rounder.

Maybe the value was a lot lower than Burke thought was fair, but I don't see how it was 0.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #193
Brad Marsh
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I like Burke. I really do. I'm glad he's at the helm right now. But let's call this for what it is - a waste of a pretty important asset. I am surprised at the number of posters trying to dismiss this as a non-issue.

Cammalleri really was the best opportunity the Flames had this deadline to secure another meaningful piece in the rebuild process.

Feaster has been blasted for how he managed assets, and perhaps some of that is justified, but Burke walks away from the team's most valued trade-asset with nothing. Again, unless Cammalleri re-signs, and I suppose he could, then I just can't see how this non-move can be defended.

The 2nd and 3rd picks in the other two deals were good moves. The reality is the team missed it's best opportunity, and unless the Flames get a bit of luck with those 2nd and 3rd picks, they won't make up for what the return could have/should have been for Cammalleri.
Brad Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #194
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
The latter, plus the fact that he has a huge price tag and not a lot of players have cap room.

My bet is still, there was a deal with Anahaim that fell through for some reason. Contenders don't trade their top line winger for nothing, and not recoup that.

Not sure what happened though
Can't base this on anything but I got that feeling too. My random thought is that Burke wanted a 1st from the Ducks (who have two) and they wouldn't budge, neither would Burke and a deal fell through.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 02:31 PM   #195
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

For rest of the year....

Does Cammalleri float and sulk or....

Does he appreciate fact that Flames value him higher than a 2nd or 3rd rounder and he lights it up in anticipation of next contract?
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #196
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that the returns for Stempniak and Berra have been made for better than expects returns we have an eye as to how Burke works and why he comes out on top in trades. He asks for a lot and doesn't back down which means teams know they can't lowball him and if they want that guy they have to pay. After the Berra and Stempniak trades went down Burke probably had the mindset in that he got what he wanted for two players and he would rather hang on to a player he likes rather than sell low and maybe eat some salary. At the end of the day he can go back to Mike and said that he was worth more to the Flames than the deals he was being offered which is probably a nice thing for a player to hear.

Not saying that justifies getting nothing but it's probably a lot harder to come out on top of trades when teams know you will always cave in.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #197
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I think that he had some value, but from the interviews it seemed like Burke was confident that he could re-sign Cammy if the right deal wasn't there. If Cammy's that close to signing a new contract with Calgary then it's safe to say he'll be valuable for the rebuild.

Obviously if he walks for nothing then it's a big loss on Burke, but he could very well re-sign and be traded at a busier trade deadline in a year or two.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #198
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good job Burke, you are sooo much better than Feaster.
What a joke
Old 03-05-2014, 02:36 PM   #199
The Swedish Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Now that the returns for Stempniak and Berra have been made for better than expects returns we have an eye as to how Burke works and why he comes out on top in trades. He asks for a lot and doesn't back down which means teams know they can't lowball him and if they want that guy they have to pay. After the Berra and Stempniak trades went down Burke probably had the mindset in that he got what he wanted for two players and he would rather hang on to a player he likes rather than sell low and maybe eat some salary. At the end of the day he can go back to Mike and said that he was worth more to the Flames than the deals he was being offered which is probably a nice thing for a player to hear.

Not saying that justifies getting nothing but it's probably a lot harder to come out on top of trades when teams know you will always cave in.
I hope/think that this probably is pretty close to what actually went down today. If Burke didn't like the offers he received and re-signs Cammy in the summer, I'd be completely okay with that. Need to reach that floor somehow, and if he ups his play next year the Flames might have a better shot at moving him for value.
The Swedish Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #200
superfarmer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Good job Burke, you are sooo much better than Feaster.
I'm a joke
fYp
superfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote