Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2022, 02:06 PM   #981
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Q:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
I must have missed this - he seems like such a mild- mannered guy. When did Hrudey say he didn’t like Sutter?
A: (Partial)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
He said in his book how he wasn't a fan of Sutter during his time in San Jose when Sutter was coach there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Not to mention last month when he showed a montage of Woodcroft in Edmonton answering questions vs Sutter and directly indicted Sutter for being horrible to deal with. I love Hrudey but he clearly hates Sutter enough to speak to it publicly.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:07 PM   #982
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Hrudey was giving oppositional takes all season. It was progressing beyond just thinking differently and evolving into what seemed like an agenda.

Even the ever-maligned Francis has come around to this team because they have earned props and leeway with the media.

It was against the grain. He's entitled to it (what am I gonna do? I can't do anything lol) but I and others can say it sucked and was in poor taste of the Flames broadcast.

End of the day, none of it is a big deal.
I guess I didn't view it as a Flames broadcast. Perhaps that's the difference.
I don't want a Flames broadcast. I want a hockey broadcast.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 02:10 PM   #983
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The Venn diagram of people who complain about Oilers' homer broadcasters and people who complain that Flames' broadcasters aren't homers would be pretty interesting.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:11 PM   #984
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I like Hrudey, I just wish he would be a bigger Flames homer as he is part of so many Flames broadcasts. It seems he tries to give an air of being objective to the point that he over compensates by giving the opponents more credit that they deserve. I think he loves the Flames, but he tries hard to make everyone happy which sometimes just makes no one happy.

Not to psychoanalyze the guy too much, but he seems like a really sensitive person. That's not a bad thing and would explain why he didn't get along well with Sutter and why he sometimes downplays the Flames to make everyone feel equal. Another example is how he always downplays his playing career in front of other broadcasters so that he doesn't elevate himself in front of them. He will relate his professional experiences, but then will follow with some self-deprecating humour about not being a good player. Of course, he is really humble about his career. He was a pretty darn good goalie for that era but would never admit it.
I really like Hrudey too for the most part, but I also get the impression that he genuinely likes the Flames and tries to stress a contrarian point of view to even that out.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:13 PM   #985
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
And that's a take I can respect. Thanks for clarifying.

I just want them to call a spade a spade myself, tell it like it is and don't try to force a story where it doesn't exist (looking at you Ron in game 5 LA/EDM..), but that includes giving the home side props when its earned. It was an amazing, inspired performance by the Flames. Just wanted them to see them get their due there.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:13 PM   #986
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
I must have missed this - he seems like such a mild- mannered guy. When did Hrudey say he didn’t like Sutter?
In his book
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:22 PM   #987
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I actually think Hrudey had the gall to express those egregious, harmful, and insulting opinions during game 7 for a completely different reason than stated here. No, not an attempt to pull the wool over the eyes of those who believe he's a "Flames homer." And no, not an ongoing grudge against Sutter for the reasons you think. Oh yes, it has everything to do with Sutter, but not in the way you think. No, it's much deeper, much darker than that. Hear me out:

The year was 1997. September 16th, an unusually warm fall day. The trees were brimming with life, having evaded the threat of a winter storm that never came to pass. Men, women, and children alike were enjoying life, soaking in all of its wonders. Keep in mind, this was pre-9/11, a different world than the one that would come to pass, but the darkness was already brewing by this point. The period between the 1st and 16th of the month saw the death of Mother Theresa, the funeral of Princess Diana, the sinking of a Haitian ferry that kills hundreds, and, most importantly, the conviction of Arizona Governor Fife Symington on fraud charges. Now, you will logically ask, "What does this have to do with Kelly Hrudey?" These events set off a chain reaction reaching across the globe, while the world is wrapped in mourning both for figures who were larger than life and many innocents across the globe, Fife Symington's conviction on fraud charges relating to shady real estate dealings provides the perfect cover for the fraud that was all consuming in the NHL to that point. It is often believed that the NHL is a sport, but more so than a sport, it is actually sports entertainment. Stay with me. Many of the outcomes we believe to be "chance" or "luck" are predetermined. In fact, almost everything that has occurred in the NHL since 1993, every win, every cup, every draft, leads to one man: Rick Townes. Of course, you haven't heard of him, and you won't find any evidence of him. There are questions to whether Rick is his real name, or even if Rick Townes is one man at all and not a collection of puppet masters deciding the fate of the NHL in the shadows. Anyways. How does this connect? On September 16, 1997, Kelly Hrudey enters the office of shadows. The end of his career has been a forgone conclusion, decided, dictated, out of his hands. But the question remains: what does the end look like? Kelly pleads his case, he wants to go out a hero. He's told he'll be given what he wants, everything will fall into place, as Vernon had secured a repeat-success deal the season before that was to follow him regardless of the team and, now with the Sharks, success is guaranteed. The cup is his (and the Sharks) if he wants it, and god he does. Kelly leaves the meeting thinking everything will go as planned, just as newcomer Patrick Marleau and the aforementioned Mike Vernon walk in. But here's where things so south. Vernon wants a new deal, wants to go out as the greatest goaltender of all time. He wants to extend the deal from two to four cups in a row. Using Marleau, already promised a long career of success as leverage, Vernon threatens Rick Townes. With what, it's unclear, but it doesn't work. It backfires. Instead of Vernon being given what he wants, the deal reverts to Detroit, the team he was originally on. Vernon is embarrassed, but he knows the cost of sharing what he's done so he keeps it quiet. Only Vernon and Marleau know what has happened. Marleau walks out, dejected of course, his punishment for willingly being involved in Vernon's power play a punishment of never winning a cup in his career, which will be long and full of empty success. Townes instructs Sutter to blow the season, promising future success to him in return for showing the 1997-98 Sharks who "the boss" is. Hrudey doesn't know what's happened and goes into the season confident, too confident. He mails it in, thinking every win is going to be gift wrapped. But as the season goes on, he realizes something is wrong. The wins aren't coming, he's getting beaten left right and center. The season ends as a disappointment, his last. As he goes searching for answers, Hrudey gets word of what had happened. He confronts Vernon who, of course, brushes him off. But then Marleau pulls him aside and tells him what happened. Their hubris got the best of them, and Sutter was instructed to carry out the punishment. Hrudey didn't believe it at first, not Sutter of all people. But 2004 was a warning, and by the time Sutter's success had reached it's peak with the Los Angeles Kings, Hrudey knew the truth. Sutter was nothing but a pawn carrying out Rick Townes wishes, Hrudey caught in the crossfire and worse, nobody had the guts to tell him. They left him hanging.

So anyways, that's why Hrudey says things people disagree with sometimes, obviously.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 02:30 PM   #988
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I actually think Hrudey had the gall to express those egregious, harmful, and insulting opinions during game 7 for a completely different reason than stated here. No, not an attempt to pull the wool over the eyes of those who believe he's a "Flames homer." And no, not an ongoing grudge against Sutter for the reasons you think. Oh yes, it has everything to do with Sutter, but not in the way you think. No, it's much deeper, much darker than that. Hear me out:

The year was 1997. September 16th, an unusually warm fall day. The trees were brimming with life, having evaded the threat of a winter storm that never came to pass. Men, women, and children alike were enjoying life, soaking in all of its wonders. Keep in mind, this was pre-9/11, a different world than the one that would come to pass, but the darkness was already brewing by this point. The period between the 1st and 16th of the month saw the death of Mother Theresa, the funeral of Princess Diana, the sinking of a Haitian ferry that kills hundreds, and, most importantly, the conviction of Arizona Governor Fife Symington on fraud charges. Now, you will logically ask, "What does this have to do with Kelly Hrudey?" These events set off a chain reaction reaching across the globe, while the world is wrapped in mourning both for figures who were larger than life and many innocents across the globe, Fife Symington's conviction on fraud charges relating to shady real estate dealings provides the perfect cover for the fraud that was all consuming in the NHL to that point. It is often believed that the NHL is a sport, but more so than a sport, it is actually sports entertainment. Stay with me. Many of the outcomes we believe to be "chance" or "luck" are predetermined. In fact, almost everything that has occurred in the NHL since 1993, every win, every cup, every draft, leads to one man: Rick Townes. Of course, you haven't heard of him, and you won't find any evidence of him. There are questions to whether Rick is his real name, or even if Rick Townes is one man at all and not a collection of puppet masters deciding the fate of the NHL in the shadows. Anyways. How does this connect? On September 16, 1997, Kelly Hrudey enters the office of shadows. The end of his career has been a forgone conclusion, decided, dictated, out of his hands. But the question remains: what does the end look like? Kelly pleads his case, he wants to go out a hero. He's told he'll be given what he wants, everything will fall into place, as Vernon had secured a repeat-success deal the season before that was to follow him regardless of the team and, now with the Sharks, success is guaranteed. The cup is his (and the Sharks) if he wants it, and god he does. Kelly leaves the meeting thinking everything will go as planned, just as newcomer Patrick Marleau and the aforementioned Mike Vernon walk in. But here's where things so south. Vernon wants a new deal, wants to go out as the greatest goaltender of all time. He wants to extend the deal from two to four cups in a row. Using Marleau, already promised a long career of success as leverage, Vernon threatens Rick Townes. With what, it's unclear, but it doesn't work. It backfires. Instead of Vernon being given what he wants, the deal reverts to Detroit, the team he was originally on. Vernon is embarrassed, but he knows the cost of sharing what he's done so he keeps it quiet. Only Vernon and Marleau know what has happened. Marleau walks out, dejected of course, his punishment for willingly being involved in Vernon's power play a punishment of never winning a cup in his career, which will be long and full of empty success. Townes instructs Sutter to blow the season, promising future success to him in return for showing the 1997-98 Sharks who "the boss" is. Hrudey doesn't know what's happened and goes into the season confident, too confident. He mails it in, thinking every win is going to be gift wrapped. But as the season goes on, he realizes something is wrong. The wins aren't coming, he's getting beaten left right and center. The season ends as a disappointment, his last. As he goes searching for answers, Hrudey gets word of what had happened. He confronts Vernon who, of course, brushes him off. But then Marleau pulls him aside and tells him what happened. Their hubris got the best of them, and Sutter was instructed to carry out the punishment. Hrudey didn't believe it at first, not Sutter of all people. But 2004 was a warning, and by the time Sutter's success had reached it's peak with the Los Angeles Kings, Hrudey knew the truth. Sutter was nothing but a pawn carrying out Rick Townes wishes, Hrudey caught in the crossfire and worse, nobody had the guts to tell him. They left him hanging.

So anyways, that's why Hrudey says things people disagree with sometimes, obviously.
You're way off.

Hrudey discovered that Darryl Sutter IS Rick Townes.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:31 PM   #989
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't people do TL;DR these days? Smh
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:33 PM   #990
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
You're way off.

Hrudey discovered that Darryl Sutter IS Rick Townes.
Oh my god this goes deeper than I thought.
Old 05-18-2022, 02:37 PM   #991
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So reading this is what I am going to do for the next 8 hours.

Thanks, I guess.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:45 PM   #992
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes? I suppose?

I mean, if we can keep the shadowy Cabals limited to NHL asshattery then we can call that a win?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:47 PM   #993
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
So reading this is what I am going to do for the next 8 hours.

Thanks, I guess.
Not sure if it makes it better or worse but it was going to be twice as long until I got too bored and wrapped it up half way through.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 02:48 PM   #994
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am impressed that you got that far!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:54 PM   #995
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortminute View Post
Nurse just called my house about an extended warranty.
he works at visions? those damn high pressure salesmen!
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:05 PM   #996
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

The only crime here is the failure to put in a line break in that whole thing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 03:25 PM   #997
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Only cause of the circumstance going into sudden death in a hard fought series that went 7 games on what was the Flames broadcast.

Seems like a rational take to me.

I don't need the Flames broadcast pumping up the worst case scenario. Don't like it. Don't care what you think about that, I stand by that!

Wall posts are fully earned, and not a matter of people disagreeing. It's also all in good fun.
/You have said this a few times.

It was not and wil not be "a Flames broadcast"...it is a national broadcast going out to millions who have many different opinions about what they want to see happen.

His went against yours....so what? It has zero bearing on the game...never has and never will.

Now if you want to ride Hrudey for his color analysis when working with Ball, I have all day to agree at how poor he is at it, though not for what his opinion is but much more for when he talks, how long he talks and is deadwrong about what happened while the replay shows as much.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:32 PM   #998
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
/You have said this a few times.

It was not and wil not be "a Flames broadcast"...it is a national broadcast going out to millions who have many different opinions about what they want to see happen.

His went against yours....so what? It has zero bearing on the game...never has and never will.

Now if you want to ride Hrudey for his color analysis when working with Ball, I have all day to agree at how poor he is at it, though not for what his opinion is but much more for when he talks, how long he talks and is deadwrong about what happened while the replay shows as much.
Sorry bro, you missed the bus.

We've already moved on from this. It was never a big deal to begin with, so onward and upward..

Plenty of time to bicker through what's sure to be a controversial broadcast between two bitter rivals.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:34 PM   #999
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Pinder told a story this morning about how broadcasters are perceived and it hits the nail on the head.

He was saying a former Rogers exec received letters from management of both teams involved in a series they were brodcasting.

Both management teams complained that the broadcasters doing the series were over the top homers for the other team....so all he did was send the letters of each guy to the other guy, and nothing else was heard again.

That tells you that its pretty obvious the guys calling the game were neutral and called it straight down the middle.

Perfect.
Old 05-18-2022, 03:35 PM   #1000
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry bro, you missed the bus.

We've already moved on from this. It was never a big deal to begin with, so onward and upward..

Plenty of time to bicker through what's sure to be a controversial broadcast between two bitter rivals.
Was not aware I am on YOUR time line.

My mistake.

LOL

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good