Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-03-2022, 10:02 AM   #1021
Aarongavey
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Instead of banning single use plastics, perhaps we should find a way to recycle plastic better, develop more environmentally friendly plastic products, and encourage alternative wood / paper based products to replace plastic. Especially for items such as packaging.

But no, lets instead shame companies for not using paper straws.

I'd imagine a lot of our plastic pollution comes from all the junk we ship in from overseas.
What would recycling a product made from oil do for GHG's? It is estimated that on its current trajectory, plastics will make up 20% of world oil demand by 2050. 16% of all plastics are currently recycled, the rest primarily burned. So you get the GHG's coming and going with this product. Organisms in the ocean act as carbon sinks but plastic garbage in the ocean significantly impedes their ability to reproduce and thus reduces their efficacy as a carbon sink. But yes, the issue is clearly about shaming companies to use plastic straws.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:06 AM   #1022
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Do landfills not track the amount of plastic waste?

I mean we know we're sending all our way to 3rd world countries, so why can't they track the amounts?
No, single use plastics go in mixed garbage, no one is sorting it out for plastic spoons.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 10:06 AM   #1023
Azure
Had an idea!
 
Azure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

No, the issue is we keep sending all our plastic waste to other countries and have terrible recycling policies in general.

But hey, at least we use paper straws so plastic problem solved.

I would say we should look at successful European models when it comes to recycling and what not, but we refuse to do that for health care, which is far more costly, so I'd imagine it won't happen with recycling either.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:10 AM   #1024
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender
 
Roughneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: the middle
Exp:
Default

So should we ban single use plastics like Europe did?
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:11 AM   #1025
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
No, the issue is we keep sending all our plastic waste to other countries and have terrible recycling policies in general.

But hey, at least we use paper straws so plastic problem solved.

I would say we should look at successful European models when it comes to recycling and what not, but we refuse to do that for health care, which is far more costly, so I'd imagine it won't happen with recycling either.
I think you are missing the part where the ban on single use plastics aren't the type that get sent off to be recycled. Plastic bags might be the exception. The other stuff like straws, cutlery etc are not recyclable and go with mixed trash that is not tracked at all, so there is no metric to report on that.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:16 AM   #1026
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!
 
BlackArcher101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Honestly, if they want to make a bigger impact on plastics and waste, they should start regulating product packaging. The massive plastic clamshells you get for things like one SD card.... it's ridiculous. Costco I'm looking at you! Just the amount of extra packaging a company does to attract you to it, or just for looks, is crazy.
__________________
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackArcher101 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 10:16 AM   #1027
Aarongavey
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
No, the issue is we keep sending all our plastic waste to other countries and have terrible recycling policies in general.

But hey, at least we use paper straws so plastic problem solved.

I would say we should look at successful European models when it comes to recycling and what not, but we refuse to do that for health care, which is far more costly, so I'd imagine it won't happen with recycling either.
Production of single use plastics from manufacturing ethylene has the equivalent GHG emissions of 45 million passenger vehicles a year. Recyling the product that comes at the backend of that manufacturing does not do much in terms of reducing GHG's. Canada had 35.7 million passenger vehicles in 2018. But it is all about paper straws.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:19 AM   #1028
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Honestly, if they want to make a bigger impact on plastics and waste, they should start regulating product packaging. The massive plastic clamshells you get for things like one SD card.... it's ridiculous. Costco I'm looking at you! Just the amount of extra packaging a company does to attract you to it, or just for looks, is crazy.
Or the boxes of snacks that contain 60 plastic packages with two snacks each.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
If this day gets you riled up, you obviously aren't numb to the disappointment yet to be a real fan.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 10:20 AM   #1029
opendoor
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
I would say we should look at successful European models when it comes to recycling and what not, but we refuse to do that for health care, which is far more costly, so I'd imagine it won't happen with recycling either.
So ban single-use plastics and make companies responsible for the costs of recycling/disposal of their packaging? Great idea!
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 10:20 AM   #1030
Fuzz
Franchise Player
 
Fuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Honestly, if they want to make a bigger impact on plastics and waste, they should start regulating product packaging. The massive plastic clamshells you get for things like one SD card.... it's ridiculous. Costco I'm looking at you! Just the amount of extra packaging a company does to attract you to it, or just for looks, is crazy.
They do that to reduce theft, but ya, they could use a big piece of cardboard or something. Plastic packaging sucks and is pretty unnecessary most of the time.

Last edited by Fuzz; 08-03-2022 at 10:31 AM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:29 AM   #1031
speede5
First Line Centre
 
speede5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Honestly, if they want to make a bigger impact on plastics and waste, they should start regulating product packaging. The massive plastic clamshells you get for things like one SD card.... it's ridiculous. Costco I'm looking at you! Just the amount of extra packaging a company does to attract you to it, or just for looks, is crazy.
Nothing worse than having to cut through all those hard plastic casings to dig out your product.

I think this is also for theft prevention and ease of handling. I agree its a nuisance but as a retailer how would you want to handle $80 micro sd cards?

Maybe cardboard backer with a vacuum sealed plastic layer on top?
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:30 AM   #1032
speede5
First Line Centre
 
speede5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Exp:
Default

lol, great minds think alike?
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 10:32 AM   #1033
Azure
Had an idea!
 
Azure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
So ban single-use plastics and make companies responsible for the costs of recycling/disposal of their packaging? Great idea!
Again, I'm not arguing against banning single use plastics.

I'm arguing that without proper plastic recycling programs we are not solving anything.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:36 AM   #1034
opendoor
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Again, I'm not arguing against banning single use plastics.

I'm arguing that without proper plastic recycling programs we are not solving anything.
The problem is a lot of the plastic is basically unrecyclable, at least in any way that's viable economically, at this point. So in light of that, reducing its use (through bans of single-use items and through financial incentives/disincentives for companies to move away from it) is much more effective, and that's the approach Europe has taken.

If you want to increase the recycling rate of plastic, then we need to basically force companies to start using the more recyclable types of plastic, or move away from it all together when it's not 100% necessary.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 10:36 AM   #1035
Azure
Had an idea!
 
Azure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Production of single use plastics from manufacturing ethylene has the equivalent GHG emissions of 45 million passenger vehicles a year. Recyling the product that comes at the backend of that manufacturing does not do much in terms of reducing GHG's. Canada had 35.7 million passenger vehicles in 2018. But it is all about paper straws.
Who said anything about recycling single use plastics? I am talking about recycling plastic in general, which is a massive problem.

We send our waste to 3rd world countries and pat ourselves on the back for banning plastic straws.

Following successful European models for plastic waste reduction requires us to actually have a recycling program as well, not just a ban on single use products. Must be hard to understand.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:38 AM   #1036
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!
 
BlackArcher101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Nothing worse than having to cut through all those hard plastic casings to dig out your product.

I think this is also for theft prevention and ease of handling. I agree its a nuisance but as a retailer how would you want to handle $80 micro sd cards?

Maybe cardboard backer with a vacuum sealed plastic layer on top?
I would treat them like games, pull a cardboard tag off the shelf, go to a desk to pay for it where they give it to you.
__________________
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackArcher101 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 10:39 AM   #1037
Azure
Had an idea!
 
Azure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
The problem is a lot of the plastic is basically unrecyclable, at least in any way that's viable economically, at this point. So in light of that, reducing its use (through bans of single-use items and through financial incentives/disincentives for companies to move away from it) is much more effective, and that's the approach Europe has taken.

If you want to increase the recycling rate of plastic, then we need to basically force companies to start using the more recyclable types of plastic, or move away from it all together when it's not 100% necessary.
We should call it waste management then, and the Swedish model is a lot more successful than the Canadian 'send it all to Africa' model.

Burning it for energy is more environmentally friendly than sending to landfills.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:46 AM   #1038
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!
 
BlackArcher101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
We should call it waste management then, and the Swedish model is a lot more successful than the Canadian 'send it all to Africa' model.

Burning it for energy is more environmentally friendly than sending to landfills.
Japan does the same and their packaging waste it magnitudes worse than hours. Think individual fruits having their own wrapping. But they sort into burnable/non burnable and the incineration plants have really good scrubbing, little emissions.
__________________
BlackArcher101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 10:56 AM   #1039
Aarongavey
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
We should call it waste management then, and the Swedish model is a lot more successful than the Canadian 'send it all to Africa' model.

Burning it for energy is more environmentally friendly than sending to landfills.
both burning and landfills are brutal for the environment. What we should be trying to do is get rid of as much plastic use as possible. Thus the paper straws, amongst other things.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 10:58 AM   #1040
Harry Lime
Franchise Player
 
Harry Lime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Exp:
Default

If they can't track the recycling or impact on the environment for single use plastics, how did they even come up with the need for this policy? If they did make the decision based on some kind of metric, then it should be trackable to see the impact of the policy over a yearly course.
__________________
"We don't even know who our best player is yet. It could be any one of us at this point." - Peter LaFleur, player/coach, Average Joe's Gymnasium
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:59 AM.

Calgary Flames
2023-24




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021