Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2020, 01:36 PM   #141
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
I feel like Burning Beard's post is worth posting again.

So is anyone NOT mad?

I wasn't mad after the Lindholm trade.

Not going to lie, I wanted one of those.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:36 PM   #142
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

At this rate they might as well make Kylington a forward

Last edited by GirlySports; 02-24-2020 at 01:48 PM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #143
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well a lot of pressure to make some changes this summer. Really a shame how the last 12 months have played out as some of those changes needed to have been made already.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #144
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
I guess we could've traded our first for Barclay Goodrow. Prices were insane. Not sure why people expect or even want an impact move when this team clearly isn't a contender.
But if the team isn't a contender (and I agree they aren't), then why hang onto our UFA defencemen, and spend picks on bringing in more UFA defencemen?

It's the incoherence of the strategy that's baffling. Unless the thinking is:

"Not good enough to contend, but not bad enough to look to the future."

Which management should probably just stencil above the dressing room doors as the team motto.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #145
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Can we please re-sign Brodie or are we going to let him ride off into the sunset for nothing?
i'm pretty sure he can be traded before the July 1st deadline.

Whether you'd have frantic buyers willing to pay in the offseason like they might have paid in making a playoff run is another question however
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #146
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Gustafsson deal is interesting.

Pending UFA, previous 60 point player, have to believe his contract is going to be at least the same as Rasmus in AAV.

So is the idea to just let Brodie's 4.9 walk out the door and replace him with Gustaffson, a worse player?

I'm really interested in how this shakes out and what the actual compensation ends up being.

If it's a 2nd round pick I have to question the thought process here.
It seems Gustafsson is a better offensive player based on the last couple years for both guys. But moreover, if Brodie walks, it's not $4.9M walking out the door. It's something like $6-6.5M in all likelihood.

If Gustafsson improves the power play for this season it's a real plus IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #147
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So is anyone NOT mad?
I am not mad. Not happy either though.

I think the bed hath already been shat this season and not much was going to change that.

The deadline isn't usually a good time to try and make hockey trades, so I understand why nothing major happened and am now reigned to fate.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:39 PM   #148
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of the two trades, I like the Forbert acquisition more. Flames are a mess defensively. Kylington and Davidson can't win battles, Stone is too slow. I've liked what I've seen from Yelesin but he's too inexperienced.

Forbert is a big, strong defensive defenseman who apparently skates very well. He is exactly what the Flames need on that 3rd pairing.

As for Gustafson, I guess the Flames wanted some more offense from the back end. I imagine they will pair him for Forbert to offset his defensive deficiencies.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:39 PM   #149
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It's not a matter of faith so much as hedging bets. I think clearly Hamonic is out of close to the rest of the season and Valimaki being shelved is very advantageous expansion draft-wise.
Sure, but if Monahan and Guadreau aren't the guys, you'd hope the GM actually addresses it and either brings in offensive help, or ships them out of town before riding them completely into the dirt.

Something was clearly off with this team offensively 365 days ago and nothing was done. Something was still off in the summer and basically nothing was done. Something is still off now, and basically nothing was done again.

Very strange course of management for a team that should be in win now mode.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:39 PM   #150
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames are better today with those two dmen...would have liked a forward but at what cost?

Not sure I do any of the deals today

It's time for the Flames players to step up
Old 02-24-2020, 01:39 PM   #151
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
At this rare they might as well make Kylington a forward
Actually though.

Treliving has essentially pushed Kylington out of the line up now, the kid can't be happy.

But he has tools and upside, and has shown some progression this year. You don't want to abandon that completely in the final stretch. I'd be willing to try it, but I don't know if the 'hockey minds' around the team would be.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:40 PM   #152
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I think thees moves makes sense, personally.

The Flames are likely (but by no means, definitely) going to make the playoffs. Therefore, you can't really be sellers - especially with 2 defensemen out of the lineup.

And it doesn't make sense to be big buyers.

So they tried to shore up the D as best as they could, and not trade away any significant assets. Then see how the rest of the year plays out, and decide what to do with the team in the off-season.

Makes sense to me.

But over-reactions are way more fun.
When you look at the remaining schedule and what other teams in the West have done, “likely” seems quite generous.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:40 PM   #153
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Of the two trades, I like the Forbert acquisition more. Flames are a mess defensively. Kylington and Davidson can't win battles, Stone is too slow. I've liked what I've seen from Yelesin but he's too inexperienced.

Forbert is a big, strong defensive defenseman who apparently skates very well. He is exactly what the Flames need on that 3rd pairing.

As for Gustafson, I guess the Flames wanted some more offense from the back end. I imagine they will pair him for Forbert to offset his defensive deficiencies.
That's my guess too

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Andersson
Forbert/Kylington - Gustaffson
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:40 PM   #154
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
The Flames were in no-man's land today. In a playoff spot, so they can't start selling off everybody. Not a good enough team to 'go for it'. Don't need depth players as their depth players have been quite good. Hamonic hurt. Lots of things going on.

This team needs the core forwards, their best players, to be their best players. As long as Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm and Tkachuk aren't consistently the team's better forwards every night they won't go far, like this season has shown us. And you're not going to trade those guys today, the summer is when you start rebuilding your roster with major moves.

I'm not going to rag on Treliving today, the prices were high for buyers. The only thing I think I can look back and maybe be negative about him was his willingness/commitment to the core of this team after the playoffs, saying they deserved another shot at it after having a solid regular season for the most part last season. In retrospect, they should have blown things up before the season, as the team we saw in the playoffs was basically what this team is........not good enough.

This summer will be busy, I think. I would not be surprised to see both Gaudreau and Monahan gone, a new coach, and some other moves here and there. I think this team looks much different in October. Lots of nice pieces in Calgary, make the right moves in the summer and this team could be very good again quickly.
Couldn't agree more. The problem with the 2019/20 Flames is the way the existing players are playing.

The Flames had several young guns break out this year: Mangiapane, Kylington, Andersson, Rittich, and to a lesser extent Dube, but their best players aren't showing up so the team went from conference leader to bubble team. Just very frustrating. I don't know what is going on with the top end, but it's not good.

I'd actually like to see the Flames keep Gaudreau/Monahan and sign Hall. In terms of age structure, this should be the point where the current core excels...but it's just not.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #155
Brodieyouevenlift
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Honest question, what are the chances that other GMs simply dont like BT and prefer not to do business with him?
Old 02-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #156
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
When you look at the remaining schedule and what other teams in the West have done, “likely” seems quite generous.
What teams have made major upgrades that the Flames are fighting with for a spot?
Old 02-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #157
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No Brodie trade. If thats not a prelude to an extension then it’s a big fail.

But I hope it is. I think he’s an exceptional player and would be missed badly.

Otherwise, I think Frobot is a good tire to kick. Similar player to Hamonic, younger, and likely cheaper. Deal is fine by me if that’s what they have in mind.

Our PP is ass. If Gustafson can help improve it, then maybe the 4-6 points a useful power play gets us down the stretch is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigRed For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #158
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Sure, but if Monahan and Guadreau aren't the guys, you'd hope the GM actually addresses it and either brings in offensive help, or ships them out of town before riding them completely into the dirt.

Something was clearly off with this team offensively 365 days ago and nothing was done. Something was still off in the summer and basically nothing was done. Something is still off now, and basically nothing was done again.

Very strange course of management for a team that should be in win now mode.
I don't think Trade deadline day is the best time to deal Gaudreau or Monahan. Much rather do that leading to the draft, when you know how things are shaking out for the picks you are going to get for them.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #159
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
a forward would have been great, but it's better than nothing. PP needed help and we got some.
Yeah, I'm a bit puzzled by the result, but I think the rationale is sound:

The Flames have significant injuries on the blue line, and they have also really lacked scoring from defensemen, especially on the powerplay. Today's work addressed those needs at a reasonable cost.

Adding a scoring forward would have been nice, but I think maybe unnecessary: the top line has been a lot better of late. Backlund has his scoring touch back. Two young, recently drafted forwards are emerging as legitimate top/middle six scorers. They are scoring nearly four goals/gp since the ASG—only ONE goal by a defensman (Rasmus Andersson, 6 Feb v. Nashville).

It really looks to me like the goal was to fill the biggest holes on the roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2020, 01:42 PM   #160
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

So is anyone NOT mad?
I'm not mad, we needed defense far more than we needed scoring. Our defense without Gio and Hamonic is absolutely terrible.

Decent deadline, the players get one more kick at the can as a forward group and the defense has been shored up at pennies on the dollar compared to what was paid elsewhere.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post: