Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2023, 09:39 AM   #11521
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Yeah American Thanksgiving seems like it's almost as big as Christmas down there. No way is it like that up here.

So many U.S. based people in my TL on the socials publicly giving thanks to random things, I can tell it's part of the custom there. We definitely don't do that here. Weird how it's a much larger holiday in the U.S. than Canada.
I'm not sure it's weird, they've combined a family holiday with the nation's largest sport, and added on their other favourite activity, rampant consumerism. American Thanksgiving basically represents American culture.

Keeping Canadian Thanksgiving as a meaningful holiday is far better than Americanizing the holiday.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 09:58 AM   #11522
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm not sure it's weird, they've combined a family holiday with the nation's largest sport, and added on their other favourite activity, rampant consumerism. American Thanksgiving basically represents American culture.

Keeping Canadian Thanksgiving as a meaningful holiday is far better than Americanizing the holiday.
It’s not wildly different in spirit than here with Christmas when you factor in boxing day and the world juniors.

And while neither are as big as black friday and NFL football, they’re still two things uniquely Canadian in terms of their scale here vs everywhere else.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 10:40 AM   #11523
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think that's a stretch. I'd say less than 10% of the population care about world Juniors and who even goes boxing day shopping anymore?
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 10:51 AM   #11524
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
I think that's a stretch. I'd say less than 10% of the population care about world Juniors and who even goes boxing day shopping anymore?
That's the point though... They're the Canadian versions, but watered down to the point of being barely recognizable as similar.
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 11:35 AM   #11525
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
The record for NFL viewers in one day (total, all games) accounts for about 29% of the US population.

The record for World Juniors viewership in Canada accounts for just over 50% of the population, with 2021 accounting for about 35%.

Boxing day shopping has largely subsided with Black Friday becoming a thing in Canada, but before that it was Canada’s version of Black Friday.

Guess you’re not very Canadian.
Old 11-24-2023, 11:39 AM   #11526
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So boxing day USED to be a thing and a championship game held a week after Xmas (not even in the same month) gets lots of viewers. These are hardly analogous to the American Thanksgiving trope.

Maybe it rings true to you, but I doubt anyone when asked about what Xmas means to them would include boxing day blowouts at the brick and watching the World Junior golf medal game about a week later or so.
Old 11-24-2023, 11:40 AM   #11527
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Probably the best comedy in the past decade? Just a hilarious show overall and some classic lines!
Purely as a comedy it's up there. Veep was pretty amazing.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 11:48 AM   #11528
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
So boxing day USED to be a thing and a championship game held a week after Xmas (not even in the same month) gets lots of viewers. These are hardly analogous to the American Thanksgiving trope.

Maybe it rings true to you, but I doubt anyone when asked about what Xmas means to them would include boxing day blowouts at the brick and watching the World Junior golf medal game about a week later or so.
Ok, well, you’re wrong and I already proved you wrong, but it’s fine if you want to pretend otherwise because you don’t like that the analogy isn’t EXACTLY the same.
Old 11-24-2023, 11:52 AM   #11529
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Years ago we were in the U.S. for a conference and had Thanksgiving with American friends and watched my team win a Grey Cup. Best weekend ever!
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 11:56 AM   #11530
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The record for NFL viewers in one day (total, all games) accounts for about 29% of the US population.

The record for World Juniors viewership in Canada accounts for just over 50% of the population, with 2021 accounting for about 35%.

Boxing day shopping has largely subsided with Black Friday becoming a thing in Canada, but before that it was Canada’s version of Black Friday.

Guess you’re not very Canadian.
I am curious about those numbers. 50% of the population sounds really high. Maybe it's because I've never watched it so I can't comprehend that. That's gotta be only for the last game with Canada in it though, not the entire week?
Old 11-24-2023, 12:00 PM   #11531
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:

World Juniors has historically been a pretty big talking point/shared viewing event around Christmas for sure. I mean pepsifree just showed the numbers and they're higher than NFL viewership at Thanksgiving.

And the world juniors start on boxing day, the day after Christmas. So yes they are held in the same month. You're slivers friend though, right? You probably just hate hockey as much as he does and are projecting that?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 12:00 PM   #11532
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Consumerism is really no different in Canada vs the US. Nor is watching sports really, the sports may just be different.

Thanksgiving is always the busiest travel time of the year in the US, I don’t think it’s very similar in Canada over Canadian Thanksgiving.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 12:10 PM   #11533
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It just seems dumb to have the two biggest family/social gatherings in the calendar four weeks apart.

“So glad you guys could make it out. Always great to see you.”

“Great to see you too. It’s just so nice to have everyone together.”

“Have a safe trip home. And see you again in four weeks.”

“See you then!”
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 12:10 PM   #11534
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, well, you’re wrong and I already proved you wrong, but it’s fine if you want to pretend otherwise because you don’t like that the analogy isn’t EXACTLY the same.
Lol no you didn't. You picked 3 things near Xmas that you associate with your own xmas experience. I'm not saying no one associates like you do, I'm just saying it's a stretch to shoe horn those 3 things together to represent all of Canada. I'll give you marks for trying but can't give you full credit for your answer. C-
Old 11-24-2023, 12:14 PM   #11535
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
World Juniors has historically been a pretty big talking point/shared viewing event around Christmas for sure. I mean pepsifree just showed the numbers and they're higher than NFL viewership at Thanksgiving.

And the world juniors start on boxing day, the day after Christmas. So yes they are held in the same month. You're slivers friend though, right? You probably just hate hockey as much as he does and are projecting that?
No, Sliver's MY friend.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 12:16 PM   #11536
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I knew it was one of the two!!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 12:20 PM   #11537
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I am curious about those numbers. 50% of the population sounds really high. Maybe it's because I've never watched it so I can't comprehend that. That's gotta be only for the last game with Canada in it though, not the entire week?
The 50% is over the course of the tournament, (roughly similar calculation as the US football numbers, to be clear, as I totalled them though without accounting for people who watched all three games).

On a per-game basis, the single-game record for a World Juniors game accounts for 19% of the population in average viewership, while the single-game record for a Thanksgiving day game is about 12% of the US population.

The record for a boxing day game is about 8%.
Old 11-24-2023, 12:20 PM   #11538
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I knew it was one of the two!!
Haha and he loves (and plays) hockey.

We're judged by the company we keep, though, Misterpants.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 12:24 PM   #11539
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The 50% is over the course of the tournament, (roughly similar calculation as the US football numbers, to be clear, as I totalled them though without accounting for people who watched all three games).

On a per-game basis, the single-game record for a World Juniors game accounts for 19% of the population in average viewership, while the single-game record for a Thanksgiving day game is about 12% of the US population.

The record for a boxing day game is about 8%.
OK, that seems a bit more reasonable. I'm actually surprised the US is as low as that, but I guess we just get windows into their culture. Going by what media shows us, even the dog has their own NFL stream going.
Old 11-24-2023, 12:31 PM   #11540
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Lol no you didn't. You picked 3 things near Xmas that you associate with your own xmas experience. I'm not saying no one associates like you do, I'm just saying it's a stretch to shoe horn those 3 things together to represent all of Canada. I'll give you marks for trying but can't give you full credit for your answer. C-
“I'd say less than 10% of the population care about world Juniors”

*stats show more than 10% of the population, up to over 50%, watch the world juniors*

I neither watch the World Juniors nor do I go boxing day shopping, I’m just an humble immigrant observing your culture.

Sorry for spitting facts.