Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #841
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
What cars use tpm for traction control? My understanding was most traction control systems worked off the same wheel speed sensors that abs uses.
Apparently it's a Honda thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #842
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering it's not a powerful rear wheel drive car, I'd skip having traction control if it's more than a couple hundred bucks. FWD with winter tires is mountain goat like anyhow.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:26 PM   #843
JohnnyO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone have input on Hankook IPike RW11 for an SUV ? First time running a dedicated winter tire and the tire shop said they were decent.
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #844
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gents:

I will be returning tire quotes tomorrow. I was blown off my feet today with new car deals, and I need to get them all to my parts manager.

Cheers,
Trevor
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #845
Travis Munroe
RealtorŪ

Exp:

Went to blaskin & lane this morning and asked for their advice. Im supposed to go in tomorrow morning to have some winters put on just to skip the crazy rush in a few weeks. The sales guy was pushing the new model blizzaks for $199 per tire (no idea if that includes install &/or tire sensor fee.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #846
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

whenever i see this thread bumped i die a little inside

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #847
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Gents:

I will be returning tire quotes tomorrow. I was blown off my feet today with new car deals, and I need to get them all to my parts manager.

Cheers,
Trevor

Are you doing it by PM or email etc...

I need some new AT's for my truck.

275/60 R20 114S

Looking at Hankook Dynapro AT's or Toyo Open Country AT's

I will consider other options if you have them.

I will re-use my existing rims.

Thanks.

Last edited by Nufy; 09-08-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Nufy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #848
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Won't put them on for weeks still, but went ahead and ordered some Duratracs for the truck.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #849
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Won't put them on for weeks still, but went ahead and ordered some Duratracs for the truck.
Same for me. Ordered some Michelin Xi-3s and booked install for about a month from now. Hoping that is still too early but don't want to get stuck with my summers on.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:27 AM   #850
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just ordered the Blizzak WS80s from Tire Rack. Can't wait to try them out on an AWD car. This is the first time owning an AWD car, and I'm super excited to see how it performs with winter tires. Bring it on winter!
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #851
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Just ordered the Blizzak WS80s from Tire Rack. Can't wait to try them out on an AWD car. This is the first time owning an AWD car, and I'm super excited to see how it performs with winter tires. Bring it on winter!
AWD with great winter tires (like Blizzak/Nokian) is like driving with cheat codes on.

Can get frustrating waiting for other cars to spin out and resisting the urge to blow past them in the oncoming lane tho...
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2014, 08:41 AM   #852
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm putting my winter tires on my truck this weekend. Likely too early but I'm not getting caught like this again. They are probably in their last season anyway. I need to be on the lookout for new ones for both my truck and my car. Fortunately I have 4 sets of rims so I just have to buy the tires.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #853
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If you don't mind me asking, did you get a good deal from Tire Rack? When I punched in my options the total landed price was basically the same as what I got locally. Just curious.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:23 AM   #854
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO View Post
Anyone have input on Hankook IPike RW11 for an SUV ? First time running a dedicated winter tire and the tire shop said they were decent.
Have these .... no complaints whatsoever.
Dentoman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dentoman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #855
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
If you don't mind me asking, did you get a good deal from Tire Rack? When I punched in my options the total landed price was basically the same as what I got locally. Just curious.
I bought the 17 inch tires with cheap alloy rims and TPMS. It came out to $1630 USD, so after conversion it's going to be about $1800. I went to Kal Tire and Canadian Tire, and for some reason they only had the 18 inch, which cost about $2,350 after everything (Kal Tire were the Nokian Hakka R2, and Can Tire were the Michelin Xi3). I'm guessing they might be getting the 17 inch tires in later, but I didn't want to wait too long.

After reading the blurb on Tire Rack, I guess going with a 17 inch is actually better for winter anyways, so I'd be saving money and getting better winter grip.

Normally, I'd price them out at Costco, but I needed the rims this time around too, so I figured it'd just be easier to do it all at once.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #856
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I bought the 17 inch tires with cheap alloy rims and TPMS. It came out to $1630 USD, so after conversion it's going to be about $1800. I went to Kal Tire and Canadian Tire, and for some reason they only had the 18 inch, which cost about $2,350 after everything (Kal Tire were the Nokian Hakka R2, and Can Tire were the Michelin Xi3). I'm guessing they might be getting the 17 inch tires in later, but I didn't want to wait too long.

After reading the blurb on Tire Rack, I guess going with a 17 inch is actually better for winter anyways, so I'd be saving money and getting better winter grip.

Normally, I'd price them out at Costco, but I needed the rims this time around too, so I figured it'd just be easier to do it all at once.
Was this after shipping? What broke the deal for me was the approx $500 for shipping, fees, and taxes which made the Tire Rack price the same as what I got here. Thanks for your reply.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #857
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
For a better deal just get them shipped to a shipping outlet and pick them up. Of course you'd have to factor in your time, fuel etc but may be worth it
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #858
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

I got winter tires and summer tires and one set of rims think I need to grab some rims this year to save some time.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #859
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The difference is night and day. Once you go one season on a quality set of winter tires you'll never go back
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #860
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So I need to get a new winter set this year, the Bridgestone winters that came with the car are wearing out and sucked when they were new anyways. So can anyone recommend the best winter tire to buy for a FWD car with 17-inch stock rims?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote