Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2011, 11:24 AM   #61
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I've never met a Holocaust denier so I've always wondered how they explain those kind of photos.
Thats a special kind of crazy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #62
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Borked!

Last edited by Flash Walken; 10-18-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #63
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Where did the hatred of Jews come from in Europe? It doesn't seem like they behaved as many Roma in Europe do now today, but rather they would be generally classified as entrepreneurial and contributing to the economy, no?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #64
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Borked post.

Last edited by Flash Walken; 10-18-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #65
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

none of those links work flash. You need to save and reup.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #66
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
none of those links work flash. You need to save and reup.
Damnit, thanks. Will do in a second.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #67
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I've never met a Holocaust denier so I've always wondered how they explain those kind of photos.
The Russians did it.
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #68
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Where did the hatred of Jews come from in Europe? It doesn't seem like they behaved as many Roma in Europe do now today, but rather they would be generally classified as entrepreneurial and contributing to the economy, no?
Ursury and deicide potentially. I believe until recently the Jews were still collectively blamed for killing Christ. They were also one of the few groups of people who lent money with interest. They were an easy to blame for a bunch of things because they were considered immoral.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #69
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Think if the "final solution" wasn't enacted what Hitler would of had at his disposal. Not just the extra bodies for the front lines, but minds like Einstein.

Another thing I always found intriguing is that I have a Jewish friend who is one of my best friends that would bash anything anti-Semitic but was a huge Ford fan.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:04 PM   #70
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I got a bunch of pictures to upload later today once IMGUR finishes their maintenance.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #71
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm going to go a little 'MOD' on all y'all, but if you're going to post the graphic pictures of Holocaust victims, you should probably consider using the Spoiler tags.

I personally dont care, I've seem more gruesome things in my time during afternoon tea with fotze's mom alone, but other people should probably have the choice of looking at stuff like that.

Granted theres an argument there too, but hey, better safe than sorry? I dont think any of us wants to get an infraction as this thread has generated good discussion.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #72
Bindair Dundat
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Don't get your panties in a wad... Good lord, Canadian's played a role and a big role in WWII but lets not try to act that their role was no where near the effort that the yanks put in. While the Brits were scared to bomb during daylight it was the Yanks that did daylight bombing raids.
10 Million members of the Red Army (rendered "combat ineffective" during the GPW) collectively say "Hi"...
Bindair Dundat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #73
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Did anyone else feel a sense of pride while reading the responses to PIMking's comments? I know I did.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #74
Bindair Dundat
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
CC,

How was the German army all but beaten before the Yanks joined the war? (this is an honest question)
You didn't ask me but...

Buy "The Wages of Destruction" written by Cambridge University professor Adam Tooze. Therein lies your answer...
Quote:
Do you think the Normandy invasion would of been successful or even happened if the yanks weren't in the war?<snip>
No. The UK was as broke as Germany. Difference being? Germany had the plunder from it's peaceful (and not so peaceful) conquests to finance it's intentions. The above mentioned thesis (2006) is the ultimate reappraisal of the origins/causes of the Second World War.

Highly recommended.

Like I said earlier...don't get me started; you're swimming in the deep end here, without a life preserver...

Cheers, Ron
Old 10-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #75
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ok, here's my contribution now:

http://imgur.com/a/vjR2I
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #76
Bindair Dundat
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Think if the "final solution" wasn't enacted what Hitler would of had at his disposal. Not just the extra bodies for the front lines, but minds like Einstein.

Another thing I always found intriguing is that I have a Jewish friend who is one of my best friends that would bash anything anti-Semitic but was a huge Ford fan.
But then they wouldn't have been Nazi's...end of discussion.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #77
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta Beast View Post
Oh I agree. By the end of the war the Russian's definitely had the most and the best tanks. They had guns big enough too to penetrate any of the German heavies.

On the western front the German's had a much longer run at tank superiority though.
You guys really think so? You have some good arguments for sure but I'm still of the opinion that the German Panther, Tiger and the King Tiger were far superior tanks...especially when up against the western allies. The Russian T-34 and JS tanks were good, especially in winter but 1 for 1 I think the Germans had the edge. I'm not saying they didn't have their problems...short range, gas guzzlers, the panther has serious mechanical issues with the A version of the tank as it was rushed into production...

One of their main problems were that their tanks were 10x harder to manufacture and their production levels just weren't high enough to put them out in sufficient numbers. Like what was mentioned, strength in numbers eventually won the day. Germany had no chance to equal the production of the Soviet Union or the US.

I also think early in the war the German tank crews were far better trained as well but as the war went on and casualties mounted that training deminished as well so that the allies caught up there.
wookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #78
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Usury might have been a reason for anti-semitism in the middle-ages/rennaisance but by the 20th century it was ok for banks to charge interest. The holocaust was mostly because the Nazis brainwashed a whole nation that Jews were to blame for everything, from Germany's defeat in WWI to the depression and hyper inflation that followed.

Before Hitler Germany was actually quite tolerant towards Jews. It had the highest percentage of Jewish-Gentile intermarriage in Eastern/Central Europe. Which makes the the holocaust so baffling because there was almost no violence towards Jews in Germany prior to the Nazis.

Czarist Russia was actually the worst offender for anti-semitism. Jews were only allowed to own land inside the Jewish Pale, which concentrated them in the Western part of the empire and insured that pogroms were common.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum PEI For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #79
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Usury might have been a reason for anti-semitism in the middle-ages/rennaisance but by the 20th century it was ok for banks to charge interest. The holocaust was mostly because the Nazis brainwashed a whole nation that Jews were to blame for everything, from Germany's defeat in WWI to the depression and hyper inflation that followed.

Before Hitler Germany was actually quite tolerant towards Jews. It had the highest percentage of Jewish-Gentile intermarriage in Eastern/Central Europe. Which makes the the holocaust so baffling because there was almost no violence towards Jews in Germany prior to the Nazis.

Czarist Russia was actually the worst offender for anti-semitism. Jews were only allowed to own land inside the Jewish Pale, which concentrated them in the Western part of the empire and insured that pogroms were common.
I'd have to agree with this somewhat. In WWI, the Jewish community was extremely active in fighting for the Bismark.

One of the saddest things I ever saw was a Jewish holocaust survivor who continued to refer to Germany as the motherland. Her own father had fought in WWI for the Germans. She had to hide her serial number tattoo with a band-aid.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #80
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
So you choose to ignore Canada's role in the battle of the Atlantic, the Canadian airmen that fought in the battle of britain? You ignore the fact that Juno beach was heavily defended, and Canada succeeded in hitting its first day mandate while taking a 50% casualty rate.

You ignore the fight towards Caen which was key to the Liberation of Paris.

You ignore that Canada fought and drove the German's out of the Scheld. I don't know what the hell you are talking about when it comes to the Netherlands, considering that the German's capitulated to Canada after Canada had liberated most of the nation. On May 5th, but by then the German Army in the Netherlands was beaten.
So other than convoy duty and a few pilots what did Canada do in the first three years of the war? Not much. And 50% casualty rate sounds absurdly high for Juno Beach. Werent only like 300 Canadians killed that day? The Scheldt was a sideshow from Market-Gardens. Most of Netherlands was still occupied by the Germans on VE-day (though, you're correct, they did surrender to Canadians-when the war was basically over.)
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
photos , vintage , war , world war two , wwii