Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2015, 05:40 AM   #4201
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I think the whole "it's way better for gaming" talk is overblown.

I have both, Xbox One does more things overall from both a gaming and entertainment perspective... honestly, if I could only have one, I wouldn't give up the entire entertainment side of things just so I could run some games at a slightly higher resolution or a slightly less variable frame rate.
And some would rather have better performance, who really cares this much?
Old 05-21-2015, 09:21 AM   #4202
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Microsoft releasing a over the air digital tv tuner for the xbox one to pick up free t.v. Good concept and hopefully it works well enough to be useful.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:30 AM   #4203
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

They both suck, no one should really be bragging too much about either device. I haven't bought an Xbox One game this calendar year, and quite a few games I've played were playable on old consoles.
Without the media features the console would be collecting dust.

And before the PS4 fanwagon jumps in, I bought a PS4 and didn't even open it, realizing there's maybe only 1 game of interest (Bloodborne) and a bunch of other stuff I'm already not playing on Xbox One. Extra p's be damned, the games need to be appealing.

This generation is terrible from a content standpoint.

In fact I picked up a cheap xbox 360 just to play some old classics I missed on the cheap, and despite some visual improvements I'm not seeing much new being offered in supposed new generation games. I started playing Witcher 2 that was in my account from years before, and it feels like I'm playing Dragon Age Inquisition that I played a few months back on Xbox One. Its basically the same game with slightly improved graphics.

I dunno, maybe I'm getting old. I could've quite easily just hung onto the PS3 I had for a while and not missed a beat.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:42 AM   #4204
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought both systems on Launch day and don't really regret it at all.

There is more then enough to play on both systems IMO, they are both lacking in AAA exclusives but the multiplats and other games mean I have a more then large enough backlog already.

Personally I have been more inclined to use my PS4 since launch and still think as a gaming tool it is the best. Things like RemotePlay, SharePlay, and Playstation Now have been great additions to the gaming platform.

For the XBox I really hope Windows 10 integration takes it to the next step (the remote play like integration is worth it alone), however I don't really see much use for the other features. Haven't really used the kinect at all since launch, the voice integration is nice for some things (Handy for Snap specifically), and I haven't really gotten into the media integration.

For me personally I bought the consoles as gaming systems, and since launch the PS4 has been better from a performance, and feature (huge fan of remote play) perspective when it comes to gaming.

Couple of things the Xbox has done better though is the use of external storage and EA Access. Being able to easily add storage is so key with games now needing to be stored on the hard drive, and EA Access is really great value for $29.99 per year.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #4205
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I laugh when people discount the advantage on the gaming side by saying

"PC is even better so why don't you become a PC gamer"

yet hype the Xbox one for its media features

a HTPC has basically limitless possibilities as a media device, almost anything you can think of can be done with zero restrictions
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #4206
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquedog View Post
i keep hearing about these crazy performance advantages of the playstation 4 that make it a "superior gaming console" and honestly i have no idea what they are.

It gets a slightly more stable framerate for more of the time?
It gets an extra 180p in resolution on a few titles?

I think the whole "it's way better for gaming" talk is overblown.

i have both, xbox one does more things overall from both a gaming and entertainment perspective... Honestly, if i could only have one, i wouldn't give up the entire entertainment side of things just so i could run some games at a slightly higher resolution or a slightly less variable frame rate.
psn id?
Old 05-21-2015, 12:08 PM   #4207
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I bought both systems on Launch day and don't really regret it at all.

There is more then enough to play on both systems IMO, they are both lacking in AAA exclusives but the multiplats and other games mean I have a more then large enough backlog already.

Personally I have been more inclined to use my PS4 since launch and still think as a gaming tool it is the best. Things like RemotePlay, SharePlay, and Playstation Now have been great additions to the gaming platform.

For the XBox I really hope Windows 10 integration takes it to the next step (the remote play like integration is worth it alone), however I don't really see much use for the other features. Haven't really used the kinect at all since launch, the voice integration is nice for some things (Handy for Snap specifically), and I haven't really gotten into the media integration.

For me personally I bought the consoles as gaming systems, and since launch the PS4 has been better from a performance, and feature (huge fan of remote play) perspective when it comes to gaming.

Couple of things the Xbox has done better though is the use of external storage and EA Access. Being able to easily add storage is so key with games now needing to be stored on the hard drive, and EA Access is really great value for $29.99 per year.
Valid point
Old 05-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #4208
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The main thing I don't like about Xbox One is the absolutely atrocious user interface. Disorganized, unintuitive, nothing makes sense, things are difficult to find and accomplish. It's a mess.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #4209
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The main thing I don't like about Xbox One is the absolutely atrocious user interface. Disorganized, unintuitive, nothing makes sense, things are difficult to find and accomplish. It's a mess.
sounds like microsoft
Old 05-21-2015, 06:34 PM   #4210
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
What specifically bothers you about it? I have both systems and have never once thought either interface was difficult to figure out.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:05 PM   #4211
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've never had any gripes about the One's interface either. I have both consoles and find both presentations to be adequate or better than adequate. The settings menu (and where to find what) can take some getting used to on the One but I find the main interface to be pretty slick and easy to use.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #4212
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignite09 View Post
What specifically bothers you about it?
The fact that it's not a PS4.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2015, 09:18 AM   #4213
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lightning deal right now on a 2TB drive that apparently should work fine for a PS4 or Xbone. 2 TB for $89.99.

Should be able to reuse the enclosure for the 500 GB drive if you upgrade the PS4.

http://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-Expansi...9&keywords=2tb
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #4214
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Lightning deal right now on a 2TB drive that apparently should work fine for a PS4 or Xbone. 2 TB for $89.99.

Should be able to reuse the enclosure for the 500 GB drive if you upgrade the PS4.

Yep, the casing can be taken off that drive and it can be used as an internal drive for the PS4 (and then put the 500GB back in the casing if you so choose).
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:01 AM   #4215
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

nice thanks!
Old 05-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #4216
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's what DF has for the Witcher 3.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-hunt-face-off

Purely in visual terms, PS4 and Xbox One miss out on PC's ultra-grade settings in several areas, but the game still looks complete on each. At its core, REDengine 3 drives a high level of foliage detail on console - perhaps the greatest density of plant-life since the original Crysis, rendering trees in at a surprisingly long range. Factoring in time of day, weather systems and rolling clouds.

With consoles set to patch 1.01 and PC at the latest 1.03, it's fair to say only PS4 can compete with a mainstream gaming PC in terms of pixel-count. Rendering at a native 1920x1080, Sony's platform gives a far crisper looking image at every turn, flattering the game's foliage-heavy details at range. Meanwhile, the promised 'dynamic resolution' solution on Xbox One doesn't appear to hit the 1080p target in any of our samples. Instead, for the most part the game renders at 1600x900, with only video cut-scenes providing true 1080p output for any noticeable length of time.

Paired with CD Project's custom post-process anti-aliasing mode, edges are at least treated thoroughly. In effect, this gets us a blended half-tone on each stair-step that mimics a 2x MSAA pass, while a temporal component addresses any shimmer on trees in motion. But based on direct image comparisons, it seems Xbox One struggles to reconcile its upscaled resolution with this AA method, and as a result there's a big tail-off in clarity the further into the distance you look. Curiously, PC offers only a single toggle to enable this mode with no alternative, and Nvidia's own control panel settings for MSAA are incompatible with its engine.

We also have confirmed reports of The Witcher 3 causing issues for those who overclock their graphics hardware. We were fine with our +200MHz core/+400MHz memory overclock to the reference GTX 750 Ti (we didn't even need to raise its power level), but then again, we were running with console-level quality levels - a mixture of medium and high quality presets. Feedback suggests that really pushing the game taxes a GPU in ways quite unlike any other PC release to date, so be prepared to compromise if you have tweaked, tuned and overclocked your graphics card to its limits.

Performance is also a sticking point; PS4 is preferable in this case for its 30fps cap, though it suffers from some stutter, while Xbox One's uncapped frame-rate gives us far less consistent experience. We're still hoping for that optional 30fps cap option on the Microsoft platform.

Having played all three versions extensively this week, it must be said PC is a must for its extras, as well as for its solid, multi-threaded optimisation across all setups tested. On the console front, as of update 1.01 the PS4 version is king thanks to a cleaner 1080p image and slightly smoother frame-pacing - though we hope its hitches are addressed soon in a patch.

Last edited by chemgear; 05-23-2015 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Spacing
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2015, 08:32 PM   #4217
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Something is wrong with my pc, the game stays around 22 fps no matter what. If I stare into a corner it's the same as looking over a big vista. If I put the graphics everything on low or everything on high there is little to no difference in framerate, quite annoying. I can get 45 fps on Farcry 4 and Metro on high but Witcher 3 won't run at all on any setting.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:53 AM   #4218
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Something is wrong with my pc, the game stays around 22 fps no matter what. If I stare into a corner it's the same as looking over a big vista. If I put the graphics everything on low or everything on high there is little to no difference in framerate, quite annoying. I can get 45 fps on Farcry 4 and Metro on high but Witcher 3 won't run at all on any setting.
Witcher 3 being quite demanding not withstanding; do you have VSYNC on? This typically frame locks to 30/60 depending on your PC power and monitor refresh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:35 AM   #4219
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
And some would rather have better performance, who really cares this much?
Ah, so you get the point I'm trying to make then?

PSN ID is TheTorqueDog. I can't remember the last time I turned the Sony on. As it is, the Xbox One doesn't get a whole lot of use outside NHL 15 (seldom), Netflix, and TV.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 05-24-2015 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Listed wrong ID for PSN.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #4220
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Ah, so you get the point I'm trying to make then?

PSN ID is TorqueDog007. I can't remember the last time I turned the Sony on. As it is, the Xbox One doesn't get a whole lot of use outside NHL 15 (seldom), Netflix, and TV.
Apparently never as that PSN ID doesn't exist...
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: