Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2024, 10:31 AM   #381
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
I understand what you're saying. But I never once said not to trade with a team willing for him to be a rental.

My point was that Conroy better be looking at more teams than just Tampa to appease Hanifin and his agent. That's all.
And I think people, myself included, are wondering why you would ever believe he isn’t.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 10:31 AM   #382
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
Hearing this morning from David Pagnotta that the Red Wings are very interested in Hanifin if he extends.

This is annoying.....the Red Wings have assets up the ying yang and are the perfect trading partner..... If they don't get Hanifin, I hope Conroy dangles Rasmus to them for their top assets. I'm tired of all the lip service these guys are giving Calgary only to demand out in the last year of their contract and give us a list of 3-5 teams.

Beat the boat, Connie!
I have no reason to think this, but I just have a feeling that Ras is one of those bleed red, lifetime Flame types like Backlund. I would be very hesitant to move him.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 10:32 AM   #383
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I hope you have a financial advisor looking after your money.
Picks aren't the same as money. A 2010 pick is probably paying more dividends right now than a 2008 pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Don’t think the rumour is true but if it is it’s a non-starter if that 1st is protected. If the 1st is unprotected it’s an okay / acceptable deal in my mind. It’s literally such small odds that it could end up being a top 5 pick anyway so that’s where the call should start. And it’s fair value for Hanifin, honestly.

If you drafted a Hanifin as a top 5 player you wouldn’t be disappointed. So fair’s fair. People saying they wouldn’t give up an unprotected first, why? Such nonsense. Hanifin has value, they need to pay up appropriately.
On the flip side, if the odds are so low, why make it a deal breaker? No GM is dumb enough to send a future unprotected pick...I'm not sure the last time a team sent an unprotected pick that was more than 6 months out.

That said, I think GMs are pretty stupid to limit their conditions to a single year (top 10 protected then completely unprotected if that happens), and it's only a matter of time until someone gets burned in hilarious fashion.

On the flip side, if I'm acquiring a 1st I'd look for value mitigation on both sides:

if TBL's 2026 pick is in the top 10 it slides to the following year, and CGY receives TBL's 2028 4th.
If TBL's 2026 pick is #20-32 then CGY receives TBL's 2028 4th

(I know you can only trade picks so far out, but I bet you can include them in conditions; teams wouldn't want to lock up earlier picks if they can avoid it)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 10:47 AM   #384
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The real question is do the Flames trade him Thursday morning aka Tonelli for Kromm and Konroyd.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 11:16 AM   #385
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Friedman said that Tampa and Flames have been working on this for a while. No one will confirm that permission was given to talk extension.

Until he hears talks have completely fallen apart his focus is Hanifin to tampa
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 11:16 AM   #386
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Friedman still thinking Tampa is favourite.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:18 AM   #387
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Taking a worse deal because you didn’t think the better deals were “better enough” is doing exactly that.

If the market for a signed Hanifin is only a little better than the market for a rental Hanifin, then that’s the market.
Exactly. You either move him or you don't at this point. The fact Hanifin is even willing to extend with 1 or more teams now, versus going to the summer is a bit of a win really. Nobody has any idea what kind of deal could be on the table this point that potentially involves other Flames players, picks and other teams being included.

If all else fails, there going to be numerous teams willing to take him on as a rental, which was a viable scenario we would have all been happy with a month ago.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:21 AM   #388
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would take Tanner Jeannott as part of the return. Injuries have messed his time in TB up, but it's so hard to find players like him. I see a M-NTC.
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 11:26 AM   #389
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Picks aren't the same as money. A 2010 pick is probably paying more dividends right now than a 2008 pick
Correct but they do have value. A pick today starts realizing that value (increased revenues, for eg.) today vs in the future. Would Chicago rather have Bedard (and associated revenue) today or a few years from now?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 11:27 AM   #390
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think heightened expectations have people over thinking this ... doesn't help that it's been a 100 day market.

Player
Pick
Prospect

That's the model.

Pick should be a 1st
Prospect should be a B or greater.
Player is either filler, a cap dump or interesting.

The toggle slides on all three in value, but that's the baseline for the Hanifin deal, and I'm guessing it will line up.

Anyone worrying that Conroy is only talking to Tampa, for reasons, is missing the script here. He's working every team he possibly can.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 11:31 AM   #391
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
I would take Tanner Jeannott as part of the return. Injuries have messed his time in TB up, but it's so hard to find players like him. I see a M-NTC.
He’d make sense as the ‘something now’ component. Still youngish (26), and brings something to the roster that the Flames lack. Moving out his contract would help TB afford a Hanifin extension.

2026 1st
2025 2nd
Jeannot
Gauthier

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 03-06-2024 at 11:40 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 11:36 AM   #392
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Im led to believe that the Wings are in on him pretty seriously and i also see Pagnotta has reported it as well.....which doesn't mean much apparently.

I do wonder if the motivation is to keep Tampa from getting him as much as it is they acquire him themselves. Wings have the inside track to get WC1 over the Bolts and also an outside shot at catching the Leafs.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:36 AM   #393
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Jeannot has bombed ever since the trade…
Not sure he’ll ever get back to that anomaly of a year honestly, I think it was a one off.
We see guys have this every year and Tampa gave up waaaaay too much for him.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 11:38 AM   #394
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Correct but they do have value. A pick today starts realizing that value (increased revenues, for eg.) today vs in the future. Would Chicago rather have Bedard (and associated revenue) today or a few years from now?
Yes, but a player has a finite shelf life, regardless of when the clock starts.

A dollar is worth more today than a year from now because that dollar can grow over that time.

But a player has X number of years. Period. Whether that starts this year, or 3 years from now, the value is the same.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 11:44 AM   #395
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of building my own trade here but here goes:
To TB:
Noah Hanifin

To CGY:
26 1st
Winger Isaac Howard
Center Gabriel Szturc
Winger Maxim Groshev
Old 03-06-2024, 11:49 AM   #396
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Hard to find players like him?

He has bombed after what looks like a fluke season, and Tampa overpaid significantly to get him.

He would be a throw in at best. Getting back a 4th liner would be pretty sad.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 11:51 AM   #397
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

mentioned it a couple of times, but I really want Crozier as part of the package. 23 year old RH defenseman in his first year, a Calgary native ... and his HC says things like this about him:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1764135883572134212

Isaac Howard
Max Crozier
2024 3rd
2026 1st
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 12:00 PM   #398
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would rather have Gauthier than Howard.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 12:00 PM   #399
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
mentioned it a couple of times, but I really want Crozier as part of the package. 23 year old RH defenseman in his first year, a Calgary native ... and his HC says things like this about him:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1764135883572134212

Isaac Howard
Max Crozier
2024 3rd
2026 1st
That would be a good return
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 12:01 PM   #400
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given what walker just got we should ask for both Gauthier and Crozier, and expect the 26 1st and howard too.

Still have to take a cap dump from TB so they can sign Hanifin though. That keeps getting brushed over but it's a big item. Either we take a cap dump or they won't be able to re-sign their long time captain who brought home multiple cups. I don't think that's what they're going to do.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote