Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who should the Flames pick at 6th overall?
Chychrun 78 16.49%
Juolevi 30 6.34%
Sergachev 26 5.50%
Nylander 242 51.16%
Jost 21 4.44%
Brown 30 6.34%
Keller 6 1.27%
Bean 4 0.85%
McLeod 9 1.90%
Jones 1 0.21%
McAvoy 0 0%
Fabbro 2 0.42%
Gauthier 7 1.48%
Robtsov 0 0%
Other (specify) 17 3.59%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2016, 02:02 AM   #261
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

IIRC, Clarkson's contract is buyout-proof. The way it is structured makes buying him out practically meaningless. Not sure if that has changed as the years have passed on it, but IIRC, that was the case.

Still, getting Puljujarvi would be great. I just don't buy that Kekalainen would entertain anything for his beloved Finnish prospect.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:36 AM   #262
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartsengi View Post
Would Bobrovsky be a guy that would interest the Flames?. Big contract and had some injuries. Columbus did play Korpisalo alot when Bobrovsky was injured and he looked good.
For a goalie getting $7.5m for 3 more years he better be a 27 year old reincarnate of Kipper not a goalie who's health and numbers have declined the last 2 seasons.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:04 AM   #263
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
IIRC, Clarkson's contract is buyout-proof. The way it is structured makes buying him out practically meaningless. Not sure if that has changed as the years have passed on it, but IIRC, that was the case.

Still, getting Puljujarvi would be great. I just don't buy that Kekalainen would entertain anything for his beloved Finnish prospect.
I'm not that sure Kekäläinen has a special love for Puljujärvi. There are several reasons for this:

1) The optics would be bad for him if Puljujärvi disappoints. (Although this is a minor thing since Puljujärvi is such a clear consensus #3.)

2) The job of Kekäläinen is to do what's best for Columbus. Nothing else. He's a pro that's perfectly capable of looking past his personal bias.

3) He has not favoured Finns in the past.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:18 AM   #264
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I would be beyond shocked if Columbus passed on Puljujarvi. I'd love to trade up and get him, but I don't think that's a realistic possibility.
Yep. Passing on a guy who within a year or two will be the best forward on the team, in order to prevent them from losing worse guys... is just dumb.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #265
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Bob Mackenzie weighs in on Hartley, Dubois and Tkachuk

https://soundcloud.com/tsn-radio-van...medium=twitter
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #266
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really hope that one of Dubois or Tkachuk fall to us - have to really hope that one of Edmonton or Vancouver go off the board and leave one of these guys to fall to us.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:22 PM   #267
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Might be a silly question, but will there any more opportunities to see these players before the draft?

I guess Matthews might be going to the world championships but what about some of the others?

I'm getting sold on Brown because of how well he's played in the second half and the U18's, just seeing if he's going to continue it.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:23 PM   #268
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Other: BPA
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 04:45 PM   #269
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I really hope that one of Dubois or Tkachuk fall to us - have to really hope that one of Edmonton or Vancouver go off the board and leave one of these guys to fall to us.
The only chance of this would be if Edmonton is smart and takes the best available D. I think that they have been trying to trade an Eberle or other 'piece' for a defenseman for a while (without takers), and could see this as a strategy.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:49 PM   #270
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just a noob hockey fan question but say, for example, Clayton Keller is the guy the scouts like the most left on the board (unlikely I think but still). He's on board with Boston college next year and I was wondering is there more risk associated with guys who aim to hit college after the Jimmy Vesey situation?

I know the compensatory pick is there but I think 1st round product> second rounder.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:13 PM   #271
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The only chance of this would be if Edmonton is smart and takes the best available D. I think that they have been trying to trade an Eberle or other 'piece' for a defenseman for a while (without takers), and could see this as a strategy.
Of all teams Edmonton should know how hard it is to get top 4 defenders. Sometimes teams get fortunate and can make a trade for one (Hamilton) but more often than not you end up overpaying for Reinhart and Sekera. Edmonton should be looking to draft a Dman.
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:20 PM   #272
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post
Just a noob hockey fan question but say, for example, Clayton Keller is the guy the scouts like the most left on the board (unlikely I think but still). He's on board with Boston college next year and I was wondering is there more risk associated with guys who aim to hit college after the Jimmy Vesey situation?

I know the compensatory pick is there but I think 1st round product> second rounder.
College players not signing with the team that drafted them is relatively common.
I would think team do some digging when they're interviewing players to get some sense of risk, especially in higher rounds, but I doubt it comes into play much.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #273
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveicedhockey View Post

I can't see a guy like Keller being an NCAA risk because he should be good enough to sign a contract after year two of college. It's sort of reasonable to delay your pro career a year if you want to sign somewhere else (vesey), but nobody is going to pass up 2 years of a pro salary and 2 years towards the expiration of their ELC just to pick where they play imo.
bigrangy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:33 PM   #274
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Might be a silly question, but will there any more opportunities to see these players before the draft?

I guess Matthews might be going to the world championships but what about some of the others?
Juolevi, Tkachuk, Max Jones, Cliff Pu, etc on London are in the OHL finals right now and may end up in the Memorial Cup.

Matthews and Laine will likely be at the World Championships.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:06 PM   #275
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Chychrun and Kylington with Brodie and Hamilton would be amazing in 2018+
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:41 PM   #276
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Juolevi, Tkachuk, Max Jones, Cliff Pu, etc on London are in the OHL finals right now and may end up in the Memorial Cup.

Matthews and Laine will likely be at the World Championships.
Guaranteed they will be. They just had a practice game FIN-USA in Helsinki where both played. (3-2 OT for Finland. Komarov with the winning goal. Laine and Matthews both with 0+1, both very nice plays.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:07 PM   #277
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Of all teams Edmonton should know how hard it is to get top 4 defenders. Sometimes teams get fortunate and can make a trade for one (Hamilton) but more often than not you end up overpaying for Reinhart and Sekera. Edmonton should be looking to draft a Dman.

Sadly i agree with Benning on this. He said he does not see a defenceman worth taking in the top 5. I don't think he is wrong. None of them look to be #1's. Yes Edmonton needs a dman but some team will offer them something to drop back in draft and get their d-man along with another asset.

I know Trieveling and Burke have said that the guy they have at 6 is no different from the guy at 5th, but i don't believe them. I Think they hated moving down a spot more than people realise. I just can't see Dubois or Tkachuk being there at 6 and that's the kind of players IMO that management wants. I do wonder who they have at #6 on their list if there is such a list? In other thread i picked Nylander but listening to Burke today he made it sound like the guy on their board at #6 was like the guy at #5 in playing style. Nylander seems like a 180 from Dubois and Tkachuk.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 11:40 PM   #278
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I was the Flames GM, I would overpay to get that #4 pick so I can draft Dubois.

If additional picks are not enough (and I'm not necessarily sure even Dallas #1 pick would be considering we are dealing with division rivals), the way you get it from Edmonton is by offering up one of the 3 most promising young dmen (Kylington, Anderson, Hickey) along with the #6. I think all 3 of them have promise and would hate to see them go, but at some point you have to leverage your strengths to shore up weaknesses. We have a huge hole when it comes to skilled wingers with size.

Or you see if you can trade that #6 pick for an existing prospect or young NHLer who fits that mold. Either way, barring a miraculous lottery win, I don't see this team drafting this high again for a while. We need to ensure that this draft is just as impactful as the Monahan/Bennett ones have been.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2016, 11:48 PM   #279
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Who should the Flames pick at 6th overall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
If I was the Flames GM, I would overpay to get that #4 pick so I can draft Dubois.

If additional picks are not enough (and I'm not necessarily sure even Dallas #1 pick would be considering we are dealing with division rivals), the way you get it from Edmonton is by offering up one of the 3 most promising young dmen (Kylington, Anderson, Hickey) along with the #6. I think all 3 of them have promise and would hate to see them go, but at some point you have to leverage your strengths to shore up weaknesses. We have a huge hole when it comes to skilled wingers with size.

Or you see if you can trade that #6 pick for an existing prospect or young NHLer who fits that mold. Either way, barring a miraculous lottery win, I don't see this team drafting this high again for a while. We need to ensure that this draft is just as impactful as the Monahan/Bennett ones have been.

Would rather not give them those dmen. I would give them Wotherspoon instead. He has shown that he can play in the NHL, but there is no room for him on our team as of right now. If sent down at some point next season, he has to through waivers, and rather risking him getting picked up, why not trade him?

I wonder if #6 + Wotherspoon + one of our seconds can get it done. We need one of Dubois or Tkachuk if the flames management want to create a blue and black hockey club and having that leverage could be very beneficial.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:51 PM   #280
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just don't see Wotherspoon being enticing enough to get it done. He has potential to be a serviceable dman, but I don't think anyone is licking their chops to get him. I have a feeling the Oilers/Canucks will have more than a few teams looking to trade, and somebody else out there would offer more.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote