Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2024, 12:13 PM   #381
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

A memorial cup winner a with CHL defenseman of the year title might not buy that he has more to learn or gain in the OHL. I wonder if Parekh could pull a Matthews and go play in a Euro league.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 12:16 PM   #382
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think those two are going to help and learn from each other so much along the way.

Future is so bright at D Flames fans need welding goggles.
Old 09-23-2024, 12:17 PM   #383
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Chuck Kobasew taught me a lesson. Don't trust training camps.
He obviously wasn't what we had hoped, but he carved out a 600+ game NHL career. Not great, but definitely not some bum.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 01:44 PM   #384
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Missed the game last night and will miss tonight's too.

But I'm really happy to see some consistent names being dropped, Grushnikov especially.

Flames brass are going to have some really tough decisions to make on defense I think. With BRZUSTEWICZ and Grushnikov jumping into the spotlight out of the gate.

To me those two scream 2nd pairing.
Old 09-23-2024, 05:57 PM   #385
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I know, different era so can't compare directly, but I think of a guy like Mike Knuble. Big guy who couldn't skate, but managed to be a contributor by parking himself in front of the net and banging in rebounds.

Obviously I wouldn't expect a career like that (1000+ games and 500+ points), but I think there could still be a niche for that kind of player. At least that is my hope, because I am really rooting for him even if he is still a long shot.
Yeah, I wouldn't sleep on Klapka. Uses his reach very well. Stripped Berkly Catton on a rush and turned it into a goal.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 06:05 PM   #386
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
That's why I think the rebuild can't last too long. I think the Flames have too much talent in the organization right now. They are missing a couple of "franchise forwards" that hopefully they pick up in the next two drafts, but these kids are going to push in this league and simply won't allow the Flames to be terrible. There's just too much quality I think, and the Flames would have to really try to tank in order to stay bad for 5 years. These kids will all experience their growing pains too, but this is a deep and talented prospect pool already, only missing a couple of franchise players (specifically at least 1 centre).
It's one preseason game. We gotta be patient with these guys. Flames have some good pieces, but still have more drafting/development to do.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2024, 11:14 AM   #387
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
He obviously wasn't what we had hoped, but he carved out a 600+ game NHL career. Not great, but definitely not some bum.
600 games, 110 goals, 200 points. That is an above-average career for a 14th overall pick I would guess.

The problem with Kobasew is not his career but that his best seasons were not with Calgary because we cut him loose too soon, and arguably failed to give him a real opportunity at the NHL level. That was during the Sutter years where prospect development was non-existent.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good