Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2024, 11:35 AM   #6241
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I still don’t think that gets the 6th overall. It would blow away any comparable trade out of the water extension or not.
If you would turn down the 6th overall for an extended Marner you would have to be an idiot. Marner is a 100+ point forward and has a good 10 years or more of high level play. The odds the guy you draft at #6 being as good are slim and none. Marner is not going anywhere anyhow. People sometimes really overvalue draft picks.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2024, 11:38 AM   #6242
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
He’s more Ferland. I think his injuries will really shorten his career
I hope Pospisil stay healthy for us for a few years. He is the only player who plays hard game for the team. So I will not trade him for a late 1st round pick.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 11:38 AM   #6243
TOfan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I've read the rumored trade with Utah is bigger than just 6th overall and Marner. Guess we will see if these rumors hold weight.
I haven’t heard any legitimate rumor of Marner to Utah, I’m only speculating on what I think makes sense…..

If there is a legitimate rumor, would love to hear it.
TOfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 11:39 AM   #6244
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Where are these Marner rumours everyone is talking about? I'm not seeing anything from anyone I'd consider reputable.

Any links?
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 11:41 AM   #6245
TOfan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If you would turn down the 6th overall for an extended Marner you would have to be an idiot. Marner is a 100+ point forward and has a good 10 years or more of high level play. The odds the guy you draft at #6 being as good are slim and none. Marner is not going anywhere anyhow. People sometimes really overvalue draft picks.
Agree with everything you say here aside from Marner not going anywhere.

I know his agent has poured cold water on it but some people who cover the team closely (SDP) seem to think he’s gone. They could be way off, but I wouldn’t be surprised in either case.
TOfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 11:43 AM   #6246
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
I haven’t heard any legitimate rumor of Marner to Utah, I’m only speculating on what I think makes sense…..

If there is a legitimate rumor, would love to hear it.
The one that made the twitter rounds came from an NBA reporter that was 6th OA for Marner.

But. Pagnotta and LeBrun made the rounds on it and everyone says it isn't true but uhhh we've seen this song and dance before.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:46 AM   #6247
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

A dark horse destination for Marner (assuming he waives his NTC and signs and extension) is Anaheim. They’re about at the stage of their rebuild where they could add a prime piece through a trade and they have loads of cap space.

To ANA

Marner

To TOR

Vatrano
Tristan Luneau
ANA 2024 2nd round pick

Vatrano brings back some of the scoring punch lost with Marner. Luneau is a strong d prospect with a high floor who could be playing in the NHL as soon as next season. The very early 2nd could be turned into something in another deal. And the Leafs get around $6 mil in cap space to help add a d-man like Tanev or Roy.

The Ducks get a star RW to play with one of their emerging centres.

If that seems like a light return for Marner, his cap hit and future demands are going to restrict the market for him. And Lunueau is shaping up to be a player who could be really effective on his entry contract, which is exactly what the Leafs need.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-25-2024 at 11:56 AM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 11:57 AM   #6248
Royle9
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't want anything to do with Marner, not only because I feel he's a bit pedestrian and I don't see a fit long term. But I also don't think he signs here long term.

With that said, on the Kyper and Bourne show they had an interesting take:

To CGY

Marner

To TOR
Kadri
Andersson

Bourne then says, if he's Toronto he would do it strictly for Rasmus 1 for 1 and weaponize the cap space, said it would be fair for both sides.
Starts @ 4:49 minutes in.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2024, 11:58 AM   #6249
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would make our center depth even worse haha and then he also probably walks as a UFA
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 12:05 PM   #6250
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Don't want Marner or any ex leaf first . What culture do they have . We're trying to change ours and this guybwould set us back.

Let's develop our own. More Russians and Finns please....even some NCAA guys we can develop . No more reclamation projects , retirement contracts, country club ol boys , retreads , former addicts , rapists , PTOs and contract buyout BS

Look north if your confused ....now there up north is a shameful example of what I won't cheer for.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2024, 12:07 PM   #6251
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, but if Toronto is intent on moving Marner then Utah wouldn’t have to put up the 6th overall to get him. They could get him for less and keep the 6th overall. I also think he doesn’t move unless it’s a hockey trade that actually lands Toronto roster players and strengthens their roster.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 12:08 PM   #6252
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony-soprano View Post
Lol, why is Pospisil in everyone's trades? He's Chucky 2.0
Definitely don’t want to trade him but a trade for a top 15 pick in the draft usually requires giving up something that you don’t want to. Love what he brings to the team. I think of him as a bit of a mix of Ferland and Tkachuk but he produces less offence than both.

As others have said, his injury risk is high and he plays a style that can be debilitating when he keeps up that pace. He did make a name for himself last year so I think he would have value around the league - especially after the playoffs that Florida just had… they are a team deep in agitators/physical players so his skill set would be coveted in a copy-cat league.

Like I said… I don’t want to trade him but if it’s down to him or Coronato as the valuable young player that a team wants for their pick, I think I would prefer to trade Posposil.

Last edited by stemit14; 06-25-2024 at 12:58 PM.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 12:11 PM   #6253
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Coronato could still develop into a nice Cammalleri....I'd prefer a stick swinging cross check you in the face Cammy but
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 12:52 PM   #6254
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
Coronato could still develop into a nice Cammalleri....I'd prefer a stick swinging cross check you in the face Cammy but
Coronato's skating needs to improve quite a bit for him to be a regular in the top 9 next year. He has a good shot, but he can't get to the spots to use it, and he doesn't have the strength to fight through checks. Hopefully a good season of off season training addresses those issues.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 12:57 PM   #6255
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I’m not so sure about the not going anywhere part. Marner is a great forward, but he’s the 3rd-best forward on a team that has one legit top -4 defenceman. It’s all about opportunity cost. If the Leafs re-sign Marner, they’re not going to be able to make significant upgrades to their D, which they desperately need.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 01:05 PM   #6256
YyjFlames
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That's the fear (also that his offence might be Bouma revisited).
Pospisil's injury concerns are legitimate. He's unlikely to be anything like Bouma; look what he did with Slovakia this summer. He stirred that team's drink.
YyjFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 01:15 PM   #6257
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
I’m not so sure about the not going anywhere part. Marner is a great forward, but he’s the 3rd-best forward on a team that has one legit top -4 defenceman. It’s all about opportunity cost. If the Leafs re-sign Marner, they’re not going to be able to make significant upgrades to their D, which they desperately need.
It isn't the Leafs choice, Marner holds all the cards with a full NMC and wants to stay. They can either re-sign him or let him walk to UFA.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2024, 01:24 PM   #6258
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Red Wings appear to be setting their table with something.
Old 06-25-2024, 01:29 PM   #6259
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It isn't the Leafs choice, Marner holds all the cards with a full NMC and wants to stay. They can either re-sign him or let him walk to UFA.
And he's already said he's not waiving. I don't know why this is even a topic of conversation in Toronto.
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2024, 01:33 PM   #6260
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nm
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good