Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2024, 08:59 AM   #521
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Not that you know of.
You watch way too many movies.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:52 AM   #522
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I yearn for the day North America joins most other non-North American countries in their tipping system. It's absurd that workers need to subsist on tips to survive.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 10:00 AM   #523
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Those tip requests work though. I feel the guilt so bad that I do 20% as a minimum on delivery and 20% at f'in Subway or pickup and i feel bad about that little.

Its not because I am better than the rest of you (which I am) and tip to address society's oppressive exploitation of the proletariat. It's because I am terrified that some stranger might think I'm cheap.

And holy moly, a Subway notification just popped up on my phone as I typed that!
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 10:32 AM   #524
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
I yearn for the day North America joins most other non-North American countries in their tipping system. It's absurd that workers need to subsist on tips to survive.
This is a false narrative though based on depression era practices of people working for free. A server working minimum wage is no more or less requiring a tip to survive then any of the other minimum wage job out there.

What you are really paying for when you tip is to have attractive young people serving you. Servers whether male or female skew young, white and attractive relative to say a fast food position.

Tipping makes these roles attractive to these people.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 10:32 AM   #525
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know whether this has been covered, but do you guys realize how many kids manage to pay a good part of their way through university with tips, and how many single mothers with dead beat husbands manage to survive on tips?

Shame on you for not thinking of them.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 10:58 AM   #526
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I don't know whether this has been covered, but do you guys realize how many kids manage to pay a good part of their way through university with tips, and how many single mothers with dead beat husbands manage to survive on tips?

Yeah I think everyone here understands that people use money for good and services. The thing is though that I really don’t care and it’s no difference to me how anyone pays for the things they want and need in their life. With that said there is no reason anyone needs to pay a premium for goods and services where tips are expected, it’s a thoughtful gesture to leave a tip. If tipping becomes an expectation, I will quit tipping entirely.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 11:13 AM   #527
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

May as well shame them for not thinking or caring about those same people who work jobs where tipping isn’t the norm while you’re at it. Unfortunately a large portion of society seems to have no problem accepting people being exploited so long as it’s not them.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 02:19 PM   #528
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
May as well shame them for not thinking or caring about those same people who work jobs where tipping isn’t the norm while you’re at it. Unfortunately a large portion of society seems to have no problem accepting people being exploited so long as it’s not them.
If you are asking why I have more empathy for the student and single mother working in a restaurant, than say a grocery store clerk, then my answer would be 1) that they are in a much more vulnerable occupation e.g. 60% of restaurants fail in the first year, and 80% in the first 5 years. And 2) the student is being proactive in bettering herself, and the single mother usually has more of an uphill battle to survive.

As far as a large portion of society being exploited, I don't believe that. It's true that life can be difficult for the working poor in Canada, especially at this point in time, but fortunately they have it much better here than the majority of people in other areas of the world. If that was not true, we wouldn't have the large number of immigrants trying to make Canada their home.
Old 05-24-2024, 02:26 PM   #529
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't know single mothers and students worked exclusively at restaurants. What about all the single mothers and students working min wage at Coop or 7/11? Do you tip them too?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 02:30 PM   #530
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I didn't know single mothers and students worked exclusively at restaurants. What about all the single mothers and students working min wage at Coop or 7/11? Do you tip them too?
They don't. We are just talking about the ones that do. NO.

Last edited by flamesfever; 05-24-2024 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2024, 02:33 PM   #531
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I always causally slip in a conversation with my waitress to find out if she is a single mom or has a deadbeat husband, surprisingly I've never had a single mom with a deadbeat husband but maybe that will happen soon, in order to tip accordingly.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 02:50 PM   #532
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you are asking why I have more empathy for the student and single mother working in a restaurant, than say a grocery store clerk, then my answer would be 1) that they are in a much more vulnerable occupation e.g. 60% of restaurants fail in the first year, and 80% in the first 5 years. And 2) the student is being proactive in bettering herself, and the single mother usually has more of an uphill battle to survive.

As far as a large portion of society being exploited, I don't believe that. It's true that life can be difficult for the working poor in Canada, especially at this point in time, but fortunately they have it much better here than the majority of people in other areas of the world. If that was not true, we wouldn't have the large number of immigrants trying to make Canada their home.
Do you support the UCP law that allows for Alberta businesses to pay a lower minimum wage to employees under the age 18? Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall seeing you post about how much empathy you had for students who are being proactive in bettering themselves when the UCP government made age discrimination legal.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 03:07 PM   #533
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I always causally slip in a conversation with my waitress to find out if she is a single mom or has a deadbeat husband, surprisingly I've never had a single mom with a deadbeat husband but maybe that will happen soon, in order to tip accordingly.
Did you ever stop to think that they’re telling you that they’re not single because they probably get hit on all day and are assuming that you’re just going to be another one of those customers?

Asking if they have a deadbeat husband comes off as pretty intrusive, even if your intentions are good. Just saying.

Personally I know quite a few waitresses that are both single mothers and have absent or mostly absent fathers of their children so I’m surprised you’ve yet to come across one if you’re actively digging for that information. I’ve also known at least 1 who’s a single mother and the father isn’t a deadbeat but she plays it up as if he is for better tips. Which I think is pretty brutal for him.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:08 PM   #534
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 03:30 PM   #535
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Do you support the UCP law that allows for Alberta businesses to pay a lower minimum wage to employees under the age 18? Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall seeing you post about how much empathy you had for students who are being proactive in bettering themselves when the UCP government made age discrimination legal.
Employees under 18 are generally being supported by parents and the government (free education), so I can see where it may benefit small businesses, to be able to hire underage students in order to lower their labor costs. Jobs like babysitting, caring for animals, property maintenance, working on farms, etc. come to mind.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:32 PM   #536
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wasn’t asking that. I was pointing out how some posters have a somewhat hypocritical attitude towards lower income workers who get tips compared to those that don’t.(My previous post wasn’t meant to be directed at you, but to be fair I may have to reassess that based on this post)

I don’t really agree with your assessment of serving jobs being more vulnerable than others based on the reasoning that you’ve suggested though. Based on what servers have told me and what I’ve seen happen to a number of them it can be a very cutthroat industry where you’re far more likely to lose your job or shifts due to workplace politics or favouritism rather than the place closing down. There’s generally an abundance of serving jobs overall due to the fact that they don’t pay as well as many people assume.

When compared to other low wage industries for the most part you stand the same chance of being let go from any other job because employers don’t need just cause to terminate your employment in this province and employers also know that those employees a) don’t make enough money to take their employers to court over severance and b) the difference in what they’re likely entitled to over what they actually got won’t outweigh the legal costs of taking them to court. IMO workers in low wage industries deserve better protection across the board.

Quote:
I think this a flawed argument. Just because a Canadian worker makes more than their counterparts in a third world country doesn’t mean they’re not being exploited by our countries standards. But you’re free to believe whatever you want to believe, that doesn’t necessarily make you right though.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:41 PM   #537
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Employees under 18 are generally being supported by parents and the government (free education), so I can see where it may benefit small businesses, to be able to hire underage students in order to lower their labor costs. Jobs like babysitting, caring for animals, property maintenance, working on farms, etc. come to mind.
Just so I'm not misunderstanding you, do you agree that it's right and proper that a grocery store can legally pay a 17 year old high school student (who is trying to save money for their upcoming post-secondary education) a lower minimum wage than a 19 year old university student (who is trying to save money for their current post-secondary education) even though both employees work exactly the same hours and perform exactly the same job duties?
Old 05-24-2024, 03:43 PM   #538
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why then do you and the UCP deem them to be worth the regular minimum wage if they work over 28 hour/week? You can still be supported by your parents and work that many hours. It’s plain and simply an exploitative law that almost certainly wouldn’t survive a human rights challenge. Also their education isn’t free, we all collectively pay for it, as do their parents.
Old 05-24-2024, 04:03 PM   #539
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Just so I'm not misunderstanding you, do you agree that it's right and proper that a grocery store can legally pay a 17 year old high school student (who is trying to save money for their upcoming post-secondary education) a lower minimum wage than a 19 year old university student (who is trying to save money for their current post-secondary education) even though both employees work exactly the same hours and perform exactly the same job duties?
Yes, but I would probably be more comfortable if the cutoff was 16 instead of 18,
Old 05-24-2024, 04:11 PM   #540
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, but I would probably be more comfortable if the cutoff was 16 instead of 18,
Why? What difference does it make if Employee A is a high school student living with their parents and employee B is a middle-aged single mother of two if both employees work the same hours and perform the same job duties?

Why do you support legal age discrimination for businesses? People aren't compensated based on their individual expenses and personal financial situation; they're compensated based on the value they provide to their employer.