Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2024, 10:30 AM   #2161
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Weird, my semi-detached duplex does all of that too.
Okay, I admit semi-detached is in the same category as single detached. I'm thinking of row houses and townhouses.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 10:35 AM   #2162
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
*source required
https://calgaryherald.com/life/homes...in-high-demand

And that figure is for all searches. Safe to say the searches by couples with kids are going to be higher still.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 10:48 AM   #2163
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

If you have a family, given the choice, why would you not want a detached home? There may be other factors, such as price, commutes, up keep, location, etc.. that cause you to decide not to want a detached home, but the detached home is going to be the preference for the vast majority of people. It may not be achievable given the other factors in play.

For example, I would chose a townhome over a commute, but if somehow an affordable detached house in great shape in a good neighbourhood magically appeared I would take that over the townhouse.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 10:54 AM   #2164
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheevers View Post
Ha, have you driven in the burbs? That is where every idiot who can't drive congregates.
Many burbs have lawns where you'd barely be able to park a smart car without getting in trouble for blocking a driveway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
If you have a family, given the choice, why would you not want a detached home? There may be other factors, such as price, commutes, up keep, location, etc.. that cause you to decide not to want a detached home, but the detached home is going to be the preference for the vast majority of people. It may not be achievable given the other factors in play.

For example, I would chose a townhome over a commute, but if somehow an affordable detached house in great shape in a good neighbourhood magically appeared I would take that over the townhouse.
I think that factor is lower on the importance scale. Age of home/offerings and space is more important than detach/attach. I'd rather get a newer duplex with 2600sq foot of usable space and better space design/bathrooms/bed room offerings than a 1000 sq ft bungalow (2000 sq ft usable space), especially if that bungalow is dated and you have like 2 total bathrooms for everyone.

Last edited by DoubleF; 05-23-2024 at 10:57 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 11:01 AM   #2165
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

The retired and elderly over 60 in many developed countries are increasingly important drivers of consumption. That's why there are many strata buildings coming on the market with age restrictions.

Where you have a greater percentage of the building going on in the strata category, and the overall percentage of single detached houses available going down with the demand increasing, and the difference in price between the two types not all that much different at this point in time, my small brain tells me that the smart money is going into the single detached house.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 11:01 AM   #2166
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Weird, my semi-detached duplex does all of that too.
Yeah but what if your adjoining neighbor rents his half out to a drifter (or group of drifters)?!
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 11:05 AM   #2167
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Yeah but what if your adjoining neighbor rents his half out to a drifter (or group of drifters)?!
Then those neighbors are often not home (great!) or park your vehicles in your garage and off the street in case they wanna do burnouts?
Old 05-23-2024, 11:07 AM   #2168
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Many burbs have lawns where you'd barely be able to park a smart car without getting in trouble for blocking a driveway.

I think that factor is lower on the importance scale. Age of home/offerings and space is more important than detach/attach. I'd rather get a newer duplex with 2600sq foot of usable space and better space design/bathrooms/bed room offerings than a 1000 sq ft bungalow (2000 sq ft usable space), especially if that bungalow is dated and you have like 2 total bathrooms for everyone.
Once again, you're weighing factors, which is totally natural.

If you could find a detached with the exact same age, offerings, and space and in the same area/neighbourhood, most people would choose the detached over sharing a wall.

The vast majority of people with families would prefer detached but sometimes choose not to go that route after weighing other factors. Detached isn't that important to me either, over other factors like location and commute.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 11:20 AM   #2169
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Once again, you're weighing factors, which is totally natural.

If you could find a detached with the exact same age, offerings, and space and in the same area/neighbourhood, most people would choose the detached over sharing a wall.

The vast majority of people with families would prefer detached but sometimes choose not to go that route after weighing other factors. Detached isn't that important to me either, over other factors like location and commute.
Well, yes? I thought that was what you were addressing unless I misunderstood. I'm saying detached vs attached is perhaps more of a tie breaker vs a primary concern nowadays for the average buyer.

Assuming both are 2600 sq ft newer and nearly identical in specs, then the biggest factor to weigh over detached vs attached is likely cost. Detached vs attached is lower on the factor scale than the $50-250K premium of attached vs detached. The biggest detached vs attached factor I've ever heard typically would be "We have to mutually agree on everything if we replace the roof". Many attached builds now intentionally have the two sides with different styles. Newer builds are pretty fantastic at isolating sound.

Older with same specs though, that $50-250K "value" seems more heavily skewed towards detached.

I think we're on the same page though. In a situation where everything else is identical/ideal and the price differential is acceptable, detached > attached is most people's preference. And in those situations, detached vs attached is likely 6-10 factors down in terms of importance.
Old 05-23-2024, 11:29 AM   #2170
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Not drifters, but during the height of Covid lockdowns, our duplex neighbors went to BC, and turned their home into an AirBnB...which soon turned into a party house for high school/college kids who couldn't hit the clubs anymore. For 2-3 months, every weekend turned into non stop noise till 3-4am, broken bottles in the front yard, random hootchie mama's yelling at each other, and even a few visits by the cops. When told about this, the neighbours just shrugged their shoulder and kept on renting it out.

We were thinking about moving already, but that pretty much sealed that our next place would be detached, even if it meant sacrificing something else. Neighbors will always be a crapshoot, and you can still get crappy neighbours with a detached house... but there is at least some separation, and perhaps even more importantly, you're not financially tied at the hip.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 11:51 AM   #2171
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Not drifters, but during the height of Covid lockdowns, our duplex neighbors went to BC, and turned their home into an AirBnB...which soon turned into a party house for high school/college kids who couldn't hit the clubs anymore. For 2-3 months, every weekend turned into non stop noise till 3-4am, broken bottles in the front yard, random hootchie mama's yelling at each other, and even a few visits by the cops. When told about this, the neighbours just shrugged their shoulder and kept on renting it out.

We were thinking about moving already, but that pretty much sealed that our next place would be detached, even if it meant sacrificing something else. Neighbors will always be a crapshoot, and you can still get crappy neighbours with a detached house... but there is at least some separation, and perhaps even more importantly, you're not financially tied at the hip.
Worst case scenario is probably this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.7199147
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 12:16 PM   #2172
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-r...1&HEADERlist=0

Okotoks not included in the list from stats can. I agree it seems like it should be anecdotally.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgar...politan_Region

Quote:
With the Government of Alberta's establishment of the Calgary Metropolitan Region Board (CMRB) in 2017, the CMR's boundaries were legislated to include the City of Calgary, Foothills County to the south, Rocky View County to the west, north, and east, and a western portion of Wheatland County further to the east.[3] Also within these boundaries are the cities of Airdrie and Chestermere, seven towns: Cochrane, Crossfield, Diamond Valley, High River, Irricana, Okotoks, and Strathmore, two villages: Beiseker and Longview, and two First Nations communities: Tsuu T'ina 145 and Eden Valley 216. Not all of these, however, are administrative members of the CMRB.

The Calgary census metropolitan area (CMA) as delineated by Statistics Canada is smaller than the CMR. The Calgary CMA includes Calgary, Rocky View County, Airdrie, Beiseker, Chestermere, Cochrane, Crossfield, Irricana, and Tsuu T'ina 145.
https://www.repcalgaryhomes.ca/blog/...opulation.html

Cochrane's population has soared to 47,918 by 2024
Okotoks has seen its population increase to 37,550 in 2024
Chestermere has witnessed remarkable growth, with its population reaching 31,823 in 2024
Airdrie's population growth to 108,304 in 2024 underscores its status as one of Alberta's fastest-growing cities

Last edited by troutman; 05-23-2024 at 12:25 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 12:20 PM   #2173
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toll booths for all these leech communities please! lol
Old 05-23-2024, 12:34 PM   #2174
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Toll booths for all these leech communities please! lol
So long as it works both ways.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 12:52 PM   #2175
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keratosis View Post

Seems a little excessive to charge people each way, but if you chose to live in Chestermere, then thems the breaks.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 01:12 PM   #2176
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Seems a little excessive to charge people each way, but if you chose to live in Chestermere, then thems the breaks.
Or if you live in Calgary and choose to contribute to the overcrowding in the provincial and national parks.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:14 PM   #2177
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, that sounds like a good idea. Let's make sure these leaches pay tolls both ways to and from Calgary.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 01:15 PM   #2178
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or if you live in Calgary and choose to contribute to the overcrowding in the provincial and national parks.
I didn't know Okotoks, Chestemere, Okotoks and Cochrane were situated in a provincial or national park...
Old 05-23-2024, 01:17 PM   #2179
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don’t we already have to pay to enter provincial and national parks?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 01:20 PM   #2180
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'd take my bets on that one in a second. No more trips to the Okotoks Walmart or Canadian Brewhouse for me.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote