Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2024, 08:49 AM   #3381
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

This kind of sums it up with this draft....there are 2 guys....then the rest.

Bobby M's own words:

Quote:
It would be a misnomer to say there’s no consensus to be found in these rankings.

Demidov, for example, had nine scouts place him firmly amongst the top five prospects in the draft; Silayev, Levshunov and Lindstrom each had eight votes in the top five.

But as you drill down on the numbers, there appears to be a wider divergence of opinion than we usually see within the top five, and the bandwidth between Nos. 6 to 15 appears to be a lot tighter than we’ve seen before.

To wit: Five scouts had Demidov as the No. 2 prospect behind Celebrini but five others — three for Levshunov and two for Silayev — saw it differently.

Six prospects got votes at No. 3 — Silayev (three); Demidov and Lindstrom (two each) and one apiece for Levshunov, Parekh and Helenius.

There were eight — eight! — prospects who got votes in the No. 4 slot — two each for Silayev and Lindstrom and one apiece for Demidov, Levshunov, Parekh, Dickinson, Buium and Yakemchuk.

And seven prospects garnered No. 5 votes — Levshunov (three); Lindstrom (two) and one apiece for Demidov, Dickinson, Sennecke and Yakemchuk.

It was like that all the way through the rest of the top 10 slots — six prospects split the No. 6 votes; seven prospects divvied up the No. 7 votes; six prospects at No. 8; seven at No. 9; and eight at No. 10.

The five prospects ranked from Nos. 11 to 15 “earned” those spots, relative to the 10 ahead of them, but there were some notable asterisks amongst them.
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draftcentre/b...ideoId=2912211
Old 05-23-2024, 08:55 AM   #3382
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am really hoping Parascak is there at the Van pick
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 09:44 AM   #3383
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Buium is criminally underrated in my opinion. He has better stats than Levshunov and was the driving force of his team's national title. His height is varying from 6'0 to 6'2 on different websites and his highlight reel looks like Cale Makar's. He's the only one I would be fine taking ahead of Tij who could realistically be there at #9.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 09:46 AM   #3384
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
This kind of sums it up with this draft....there are 2 guys....then the rest.

Bobby M's own words:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draftcentre/b...ideoId=2912211
Interesting that Sennecke got a 5th place vote but Iginla didn’t. Gotta wonder if that’s from Montreal, given all the smoke around him recently
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 09:47 AM   #3385
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
Buium is criminally underrated in my opinion. He has better stats than Levshunov and was the driving force of his team's national title. His height is varying from 6'0 to 6'2 on different websites and his highlight reel looks like Cale Makar's. He's the only one I would be fine taking ahead of Tij who could realistically be there at #9.
Love buium but i have tij where he belongs in the teens.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 09:47 AM   #3386
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
100%. If Tij and Buium are on the board, I'm taking Buium. Hopefully one of them is available to us.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 09:50 AM   #3387
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
Love buium but i have tij where he belongs in the teens.
Well, consensus probably has him in top 10 now after Button and Mackenzie updated. But sure, hate on!
Old 05-23-2024, 09:54 AM   #3388
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Well, consensus probably has him in top 10 now after Button and Mackenzie updated. But sure, hate on!
Someone tell me what tij has so much over senecke? Nothing thats what. I just dont impress as much because a projected top six winger suddenly become the best player in the draft because he had s good playoffs in jr. I have four forward clearly better and four that are equal.

Hate? No reality. If his name wasnt iginla we wouldnt be talking about him even a quarter as much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 10:00 AM   #3389
Ba'alzamon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Someone tell me what tij has so much over senecke? Nothing thats what.
LOL. Iginla is seven months younger and had a much better season. But, sure. Nothing.
Ba'alzamon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Ba'alzamon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 10:06 AM   #3390
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
His list isn't predicting the order. It's ranking players as he sees them.
The real evaluation would be to go back and look at the hit rates for the different ranking lists (not mocks or predictive lists). But that would be a lot of work.
But you can't really compare Mac's list to Button. They are very different things.
I have a spreadsheet with Button's final rankings going back to 2013 along with various other lists depending on the year and the Hockey Reference point shares for each player. I don't have every player he ranked - I usually add players when somebody puts them in the first round in their rankings. I think I have McKenzie, Future Considerations and The Hockey News for each year at the very least. The challenge with be coming up with a formula for evaluating them.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 10:06 AM   #3391
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ba'alzamon View Post
LOL. Iginla is seven months younger and had a much better season. But, sure. Nothing.
Senecke grew five inches in a year and had a great playoffs, same as tij. He is bigger , skates the same. Also has a very good shot. No the draft list dont mean crap i look at what the player actually brings to the table.

Tij is an average sized winger great shot, great one on one. Good hockey iq? Average slightly over skater. No i dont see a huge difference.

At the end of the day he projects as a Top six winger. Thats it. Same as senecke.

If a guy like catton at 1.5 points a game. Or lindstrom, or any of the seven or eight possible top pairing defence and we walk away with a top six wing? Make it make sense??

Last edited by Fan69; 05-23-2024 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:08 AM   #3392
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Updated rankings ...

* Button's update
* Flames confirmed at pick 28

Is Button's list a sign of things to come? Iginla moving into a lot of ranking's top five?

9th Pick
Code:
Flames	7	Zeev Buium	D	7.63
Flames	8	Anton Silayev	D	8.05
Flames	9	Zayne Parekh	D	9.42
Flames	10	Konsta Helenius	C	10.26
Flames	11	Cole Eiserman	LW	10.26
28th Pick
Code:
Flames	26	Terik Parascak	RW	30.31
Flames	27	Aron Kiviharju	D	31.81
Flames	28	Henry Mews	D	32.58
Flames	29	E.J. Emery	D	33.43
Flames	30	Jett Luchanko	C	33.72
Overall Rankings
Code:
1	M Celebrini	C	1.00
2	Ivan Demidov	RW	2.79
3	A Levshunov	D	4.53
4	Sam Dickinson	D	6.37
5	Berkly Catton	C	7.21
6	C Lindstrom	C	7.32
7	Zeev Buium	D	7.63
8	Anton Silayev	D	8.05
9	Zayne Parekh	D	9.42
10	Konsta Helenius	C	10.26
11	Cole Eiserman	LW	10.26
12	Tij Iginla	C	11.58
13	C Yakemchuk	D	12.58
14	Liam Greentree	RW	14.83
Updated McKenzie's top 15

Lindstrom jumps over Catton
Eiserman jumps over Helenius

Guessing when we are done with pre draft updates Iginla is firmly in the top 10 (7-9)

He would move from 12th to 10th with an upgrade from FC Hockey alone.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 10:16 AM   #3393
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
I have a spreadsheet with Button's final rankings going back to 2013 along with various other lists depending on the year and the Hockey Reference point shares for each player. I don't have every player he ranked - I usually add players when somebody puts them in the first round in their rankings. I think I have McKenzie, Future Considerations and The Hockey News for each year at the very least. The challenge with be coming up with a formula for evaluating them.
For sure. Would be a cool project.
But you can't include Bob in there. His list isn't his rankings. It's his prediction based on scouts he talks to.

Need to focus on actual rankings not mocks or predictive lists.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 10:18 AM   #3394
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Button's list needs to be compared to player success rather than ultimate draft position, which makes it much more difficult to assess over time. Much more subjective.

But I stand by my position that he regularly nails it.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:19 AM   #3395
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Button's list needs to be compared to player success rather than ultimate draft position, which makes it much more difficult to assess over time. Much more subjective.

But I stand by my position that he regularly nails it.
I enjoy his list because he's not afraid of putting out a different view.
I don't see what's fun about reading lists that all are largely the same.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 10:21 AM   #3396
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting that Yakumchuk is #4 on one scout’s list and #5 on another. Could see him as a dark horse for the Flames’ pick.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 10:28 AM   #3397
prizefighterinferno
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Senecke grew five inches in a year and had a great playoffs, same as tij. He is bigger , skates the same. Also has a very good shot. No the draft list dont mean crap i look at what the player actually brings to the table.

Tij is an average sized winger great shot, great one on one. Good hockey iq? Average slightly over skater. No i dont see a huge difference.

At the end of the day he projects as a Top six winger. Thats it. Same as senecke.

If a guy like catton at 1.5 points a game. Or lindstrom, or sny of the seven or eight possible top pairing defence and we wwlk away with a top six wing? Make it make sense??
I can appreciate the last comment re: C or D instead. And I like Sennecke. But as it pertains to Sennecke v Iginla, as has been mentioned, Tij is younger, more productive on team that scored less, a more elusive and explosive skater, better release, similarly great hands. Excellent compete. Probably gives up a bit in playmaking and size (but is built like a bulldog). Seems to play a pro style game already.

The size skill package in Sennecke is intriguing for sure but for me I'd lean Iginla regardless of name.
prizefighterinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 10:33 AM   #3398
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Interesting that Yakumchuk is #4 on one scout’s list and #5 on another. Could see him as a dark horse for the Flames’ pick.
Wouldn’t surprise me. Wouldn’t disappoint me either.
Old 05-23-2024, 10:51 AM   #3399
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Am sure the flames will take whoever they see as BPA in the slot but from an organizational talent perspective, an elite offensive producer is my hope as that is where the system is really lacking - for me ideally a centre but if those are gone one of the more dynamic skating and playmaking dmen would be a nice consolation. I like Iginla and the story would be fun to follow but I don't disagree with the assessment of him in the teens.... watched him probably 10 times in Kelowna this year and see him as a very good complimentary winger. He didn't drive play by either retrieving pucks, making incisive passing or beating players one on one in the same way guys like Dube, Merkley, Draisaitl, Backlund or Benn did here. He goes to good areas as has elite instincts, very good skater with a great shot and really wants to win. With his instincts he will score in the NHL if he's playing with a good playmaker, he just knows where to be on the ice ahead of the other players. Players develop in their post draft years so that could change though for sure if the flames are projecting that maybe he gets a bit more aggressive or dynamic with his skating and puckhandling.

We all know that we're just looking at videos and reading reports on the net and get attached to players without the full knowledge the actual scouts have (I loved Sam Bennett and was so happy the flames picked him for example) but for me my uninformed wish list of best outcomes is landing one of
Lindstrom-Buium-Helenius-Parekh

and if not I'd my order of preference is:

Catton
Yakumchuk
Dickinson
Iginla

Acknowledging I have Dickinson low but don't love his skating with the puck - and assuming Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov are long gone. I don't really know what to make of Silayev, he just doesn't seem to have the offensive upside the flames need but he does seem to have the potential to be a #1 guy with his skillset and size. I'd be nervous if they picked him but you don't see many kids come along with that combination of skill and tools.

Last edited by Matty81; 05-23-2024 at 10:56 AM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 10:57 AM   #3400
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do think that if Tij Iginla's name was anything other than Tij Iginla that we likely wouldn't be talking about him nearly as much with our pick as we are. Not to say that he isn't a perfectly fine pick at number 9, but I think we'd all be more focused on taking the best available Center or dman, because our organizational depth is already at wing.

I think if it wasn't for Iginla we'd be more focused on one of the dmen or Lindstrom/Catton/Helenius.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft