Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2024, 04:28 PM   #3361
Tbull8
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watching more Tij highlights, he's going to be such a good player imo. His puck protection and hockey sense reminds me a ton of M. Tkachuk. Maybe he doesnt have as good of hands, but has a better shot
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 07:38 PM   #3362
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
The one thing Craig ain’t wrong about is that picks 3-14 are pretty interchangeable. Almost no reason to try to move up in the draft (like trade 9 plus another pick to move up to 5) because of that fact. Would much rather have a lot of picks in this draft than blow my brains out trading picks to move up from 9. A lot of those OHL players he has in the 2nd round (Vanacker, O’Reilly, Battaglia, Marrelli) are pretty good players. Flames could quite easily get a couple good prospects in the second round in addition to the first.
I would love for him to be right because the Flames can sprint to the podium and draft Lindstrom who is basically Eric Lindros lite. I find his rankings pretty far off from most of the other experts so I don't expect that to happen. I also look at his past rankings and Button tends to miss badly. No scout in their right mind is drafting Heselius who had a meh U18 and an invisible World's over Cayden Lindstrom.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 07:56 PM   #3363
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I would love for him to be right because the Flames can sprint to the podium and draft Lindstrom who is basically Eric Lindros lite. I find his rankings pretty far off from most of the other experts so I don't expect that to happen. I also look at his past rankings and Button tends to miss badly. No scout in their right mind is drafting Heselius who had a meh U18 and an invisible World's over Cayden Lindstrom.
My point was more I hope the flames do not use draft capital to move up because I think there are a lot of decent players still available in the second round.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 09:06 PM   #3364
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Landon's Little Brother Edition):

RHC Brayden McCallum is the kind of player that the home team's fans love, but is despised by everyone else outside their market. McCallum, who measures 5'10" and 165lbs, is first in goals (18) and third in points (41 in 62 games) on a very poor Peterborough Petes squad that finished 18th out of 20 teams in the OHL, and dead last in goals-for. McCallum's name appears at the top of the list in the OHL in one statistical category- penalty minutes, with 128. He was selected in the 4th round, 69th-overall, in the 2022 OHL Priority Selection by the Petes. He is the little brother of Sudbury Wolves' forward Landon McCallum, and plays a similar style.

McCallum is like the Tasmanian Devil on ice, and one of the OHL's most hated players. He refuses to back down from anyone, big or small, and is constantly in the opposition's face, displaying grit and intensity. He gives 110% all the time, and pushes the pace with relentless aggression, and high energy- he has an unbelievable amount of guts and bravery. He plays on the edge, and often goes over it, with a few suspensions to his name this year, but he will drop the gloves with much bigger opponents if they object to his antics- and he does well when engaging in pugilistic activities. Like a miniature Tyrannosaurus, he hits anything that moves and plays the agitator role to a tee, getting under the skin of opponents and hunting down puck-carriers. He's not at all afraid of the hard areas and will scratch, claw, and grind for pucks in the corners, in front of the net, and along the boards. When former Petes' defenseman Samuel Mayer was traded to the 67's, he told the coach on his way out that his one regret was that he would have to play on an opposing team against McCallum.

McCallum's skating is above average, definitely not elite, and he has a peppy short-burst and quick acceleration. His top speed is good enough that that he can win some races and outrun checkers. For an extra layer of elusiveness, his edges are quite strong, and help him to outmanouver opponents. He's not without skill, and has a modicum of hockey sense and IQ, but mostly keeps it simple in the passing department, and isn't known at this juncture to be a playmaker, per se. His puck skills are nothing special either, but he can score and finish plays, having an accurate shot with a solid release, and a willingness to go to the net to capitalize on in-close opportunities. He has decent hands and some moves to beat goalies 1-on-1, and can sniff out space in dangerous areas. McCallum is a solid defensive contributor with good awareness, and brings his competitive fire with him to the zone, along with his physicality and aggression. As he does in the other end of the rink, he relentlessly hounds puck-carriers with his body and stick.

According to the coach in Peterborough, McCallum has excellent practice habits, and works his butt off to be the best player he can be. McCallum himself acknowledges the need to curb the amount of undisciplined penalties he takes, as he crosses the line too often, and can cost his team. Going forward, he needs to round out his puck-skills, keep getting faster, and it's a must that he gets bigger and stronger. If he wishes to keep up his style of play in the pros, he might want to invest in boxing lessons, although he can hold his own as it is. He reminds me of Ryan Hartman, and even more of Andrew Shaw. I like this kid, he's a tough nut to crack. Look for him in the 4th, to the 6th rounds.

Last edited by Sandman; 05-22-2024 at 09:14 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 09:26 PM   #3365
Electricprez
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I know the fairytale story is Tij, but my hope is for Buium.
I honestly think he's going to be the bigger force in the NHL and more of a gamebreaker for the team who get him.
Electricprez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Electricprez For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 09:38 PM   #3366
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Give me Catton all day long
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 09:49 PM   #3367
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That there folks is why Craig Button will never get another sniff of the NHL as a scout.
Maybe he's happy where he's at.

It's a subjective list and his opinion, not sure why you're ragging on the guy.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 10:48 PM   #3368
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Jay-Z Edition):

LW Josh Zakreski is more-or-less a depth player on a very deep, veteran Portland Winterhawks team, but still managed to compile 21 goals and 49 points in 68 games. The lion's share of the ice-time and responsibility was mostly given to the older players in the playoffs, and players like Zakreski and Diego Buttazzoni saw their numbers go down, with Zakreski posting 8 points in 18 games before the 'Hawks were dispatched in 4 by the Moose Jaw Warriors. There were 11 players ahead of him in scoring on the team in the post-season, including Buttazzoni, and 10 of them were older players- 6 of them being NHL draftees. Portland finished the regular season as the 3rd-best team in the WHL, and they were first in goals-scored. Zakreski is a bit of an elder statesman by draft standards, with a Dec.17th birthday, and measures 5'11",and a stocky 192 lbs.

Zakreski plays a simple, straight-ahead game, with his only elite qualities being his tireless work-ethic, and relentless motor. He provides high energy to his team, and out-competes his opponents. Zakreski applies tenacious forechecking, and drives defenders crazy with his aggressive, in-your-face style, causing turnovers and putting immense pressure on puck-carriers. He is solid along the boards, and doesn't back down from a battle- he's uncommonly strong, and plays a physical game, finishing his checks. Zak attacks the middle, and isn't at all afraid to go to the net, possessing 1-on-1 moves to best goalies. He weaves in and out of traffic, and has an excellent wrister with pinpoint accuracy, but he could stand to upgrade it's power. Mobility-wise, he has great wheels with separation speed and a powerful stride, though his acceleration and first-step could use some work. Playmaking is his primary contribution to his team's offense, and he owns well-developed passing skill, combined with high-end vision. He sees the ice well, flashing the capacity to make some complex plays, and makes sound decisions under duress. He's smart without the puck as well, and skates the right routes to support the play in all three zones. He's a hard-working defensive player and brings the same diligent puck-pursuit, physicality, and work-ethic with him to the home-teams zone, as well as solid positioning and an active, intelligent use of his stick.

Zakreski's floor might be that of a bottom-6 energy player in the NHL with penalty-killing duties- but I think that he, as well as Buttazzoni, will be able to show more in Portland as soon as next year, when some of the vets move on. Everytime I watch him, it doesn't appear like he's getting a lot of ice-time, but he's always noticeable. Going forward, he needs to keep building his skating and his shot, and he has to get stronger- but I think he's got a chance. I think he's a 5th-rounder.

Last edited by Sandman; 05-22-2024 at 11:37 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2024, 11:10 PM   #3369
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Draft Thoughts (Jay-Z Edition):

LW Josh Zakreski is more-or-less a depth player on a very deep, veteran Portland Winterhawks team, but still managed to compile 21 goals and 49 points in 68 games. The lion's share of the ice-time and responsibility was mostly given to the older players in the playoffs, and players like Zakreski and Diego Buttazzoni saw their numbers go down, with Zakreski posting 8 points in 18 games before the 'Hawks were dispatched in 4 by the Moose Jaw Warriors. There were 11 players ahead of him in scoring on the team in the post-season, including Buttazzoni, and 10 of them were older players- 6 of them being NHL draftees. Portland finished the regular season as the 3rd-best team in the WHL, and they were first in goals-scored. Zakreski is a bit of an elder statesman by draft standards, with a Dec.17th birthday, and measures 5'11",and a stocky 192 lbs.

Zakreski plays a simple, straight-ahead game, with his only elite qualities being his tireless work-ethic, and relentless motor. He provides high energy to his team, and out-competes his opponents. Zakreski applies tenacious forechecking, and drives defenders crazy with his aggressive, in-your-face style, causing turnovers and putting immense pressure on puck-carriers. He is solid along the boards, and doesn't back down from a battle- he's uncommonly strong, and plays a physical game, finishing his checks. Zak attacks the middle, and isn't at all afraid to go to the net, possessing 1-on-1 moves to best goalies. He weaves in and out of traffic, and has an excellent wrister with pinpoint accuracy, but he could stand to upgrade it's power. Mobility-wise, he has great wheels with separation speed and a powerful stride, though his acceleration and first-step could use some work. Playmaking is his primary contribution to his team's offense, and he owns well-developed passing skill, combined with high-end vision. He sees the ice well, flashing the capacity to make some complex plays, and makes sound decisions under duress. He's smart without the puck as well, and skates the right routes to support the play in all three zones. He's a hard-working defensive player and brings the same diligent puck-pursuit, physicality, and work-ethic with him to the home-teams zone, as well as solid positioning and an active, intelligent use of his stick.

Zakreski's floor might be that of a bottom-6 energy player in the NHL with penalty-killing duties- but I think that he, as well as Buttazzoni, will be able to show more in Portland as soon as next year, when some of the vets move on. Everytime I watch him, it doesn't appear like he's getting a lot of ice-time, but he's always noticeable. Going forward, he needs to keep building his skating and his shot, and he has to get stronger- but I think he's got a shot. I think he's a 5th-rounder.
Interesting player. With more ice he could be more than we see. At his height he will probably play around 200 lbs. fire plug body but still a good skater which is intriguing. Physically he is fine, skating is good, vision is good, may go higher than five.

How many thirds do we have?
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 12:55 AM   #3370
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That there folks is why Craig Button will never get another sniff of the NHL as a scout.
Button has been offered team scouting jobs(two that I know of) and turned them down, I think he likes his gig at TSN and got a nice raise when Bob semi-retired. Craig has a very good eye for talent but just doesn't know how to manage them.

Looking at his list it'll probably be as close to any other "experts" come draft day.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 12:58 AM   #3371
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Maybe he's happy where he's at.

It's a subjective list and his opinion, not sure why you're ragging on the guy.
Because he sucks, that's why. Oh yes, I am sure he is much happier saying dumb things on TSN than working as a director of scouting again. It's a subjective list to a point but some if his ranking there are just really out of touch with everybody else. I mean all you have to do is look at his past lists along with the absolute brain farts he had as our GM to know his brother got all the talent when it comes to scouting.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:00 AM   #3372
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Button has been offered team scouting jobs(two that I know of) and turned them down, I think he likes his gig at TSN and got a nice raise when Bob semi-retired. Craig has a very good eye for talent but just doesn't know how to manage them.

Looking at his list it'll probably be as close to any other "experts" come draft day.
I have not heard of these offers. Looking at his list there is no chance he is as close as Mac's or Wheelers. I am pretty certain my top 16 will be much closer than his, we shall see.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:57 AM   #3373
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Smurf Edition, Vol. 6):

RW James Reeder put up great numbers for Dubuque of the USHL, with 20 goals and 60 points in just 53 games, but really cemented his place on draft boards with his performance in December's World Junior A Challenge, with 8 goals and 10 points in 6 games. He scored at least one goal in each game for Team USA. Reeder was tied for 18th in USHL scoring in the regular season, but like many of his teammates in Dubuque, he struggled to put up offense in playoffs, with just 5 points in 11 games. Reeder is an older player by draft standards, with an Oct.6th birthday, and measures 5'10",168lbs.

Reeder is a complimentary player who isn't very flashy, and doesn't need to complicate things. He can't win many physical battles, but outworks opponents and forces them to the outside with his tenacity and high motor. He manages to move the needle at both ends of the rink, and is hard-working and competitive defensively. He anticipates well, makes good reads, and is highly disruptive. At the other end of the ice, he sees and thinks his way around with his keen hockey sense, which might be the best part of his game, and makes moves proactively to pressure defenses without having to confront them physically. He's quite adept at sneaking into open space, and beating opponents to high-danger areas, with an inate knowledge of where to be and when to be there to create scoring chances. Unfortunately, Reeder's skating is somewhere around average, with fairly good acceleration, but his top speed is somewhat insufficient and he can be beaten to loose pucks. His edges are a little on the weak side as well, and he needs to take wide turns, losing speed in the process. To make up for his mobility issues, he plays with energy and pace, as well as high motor. His stickhandling isn't too special, but he protects the puck well for a small guy.

JR has shown that he can score goals in bunches, but he's more of a playmaker with a good IQ, who can make good decisions at top speed and can dish in full flight to teammates in high-danger. Despite his size, he will go to the net and plant himself there to score off of re-directs and rebounds, but he can also bulge the twine with his accurate and deceptive shot. In transitions, he contributes by carrying , but can make difficult passes for entries. Off the puck, he keeps his feet moving and has a good feel of where to be to support the play. Reeder's size will always be a detriment going forward, and he has trouble in possession as he's small and slight. He loses physical battles, and can be pushed off the puck. At this juncture, he's not always willing to wade into physical battles, and some criticize his compete level. Getting bigger and stronger is a must, but he also needs to improve his shot, which could use more zip. He is committed to the University of Denver for the 2025-26 season, so he will have plenty of runway to get his game together. Look for him in later rounds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 02:20 AM   #3374
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have not heard of these offers. Looking at his list there is no chance he is as close as Mac's or Wheelers. I am pretty certain my top 16 will be much closer than his, we shall see.
Have you posted your list?

For fun I'll do a draft order list for the 1st round and go head to head, 32pts for 1st(Celebrini) down to 1 point for 32nd. total points wins a hero cookie

We'll probably both loose to Button.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 02:31 AM   #3375
sch19lks
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Have you posted your list?

For fun I'll do a draft order list for the 1st round and go head to head, 32pts for 1st(Celebrini) down to 1 point for 32nd. total points wins a hero cookie

We'll probably both loose to Button.
Button puts massive emphasis on the U18s every year. Not saying he’s wrong there necessarily, but he falls in love with guys and ranks them too high based on that tournament
sch19lks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 03:33 AM   #3376
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Goalie Edition, Vol. 15):

LHG Louka Cloutier, 6'2",168lbs

Chicago Steel (USHL): 34gp, 14-14-2, 3.68 GAA, .904 SV%
Chicago Steel (Playoffs): 2gp, 1-0-1, 2.20 GAA, .935 SV%

The Chicago Steel used to be a perrenial contender, but they are currently rebuilding, and lost their entire top-6 from last year. They finished this season in 11th place out of 16 teams, with a goal-differential of -47 in 62 games, good for 4th-worst in the league, and they were swept out of the playoffs. Cloutier was named to the USHL First All-Rookie Team, ahead of fellow netminder Mikhail Yegorov, and is ranked the #15 North American Goaltender by Central Scouting. Cloutier was selected by the Cape Breton Eagles in the 2022 QMJHL Draft in the second round, 34th-overall, but chose to go the college route instead. In the spring of 2023, Cloutier was selected by the Steel in the seventh round of the Phase 2 Draft, 107th-overall. His SV% this season was ranked third in the league, and was 32 points higher than his backup, veteran Christian Manz, who struggled mightily before being dealt. Scouts will like his age as he is quite young, with a August 22nd birthday.

Cloutier is quite strong mentally, and handled the season well after being thrown into the fire with a weak Chicago Steel team. Though he faced a ton of rubber every night, he stayed calm and poised under pressure, and there was a ton of pressure in Chicago- but at least he got a ton of experience playing in all kinds of situations. One of his main strengths is his hockey sense- he reads the play well, and can track the puck through traffic. He moves extremely well around his crease, possessing amazing edges, and can explode out to the top of the crease to challenge shooters, or go post-to-post with lightning speed. To add to his sublime footwork, he also exhibits sharp vertical mobility, with the ability to go down into the butterfly and back up into his stance very quickly. When in the butterfly, he is able to move around quickly, and does so without oversliding- he has good control. He uses an active stick to poke check, and his blocker is effective in deflecting shots out of high-danger areas. He wields pretty good athleticism, and can make desperation saves, complete with dives and acrobatics.

Cloutier plays a bit small, and stays too deep in his crease at times, with a low, wide-legged stance, and some have said that he has a rather weak glove hand. For a goalie who stands 6'2", that could spell trouble in protecting the top of the net. He will have time to round out his game, as he is committed to the University of Nebraska-Omaha for 2025-26. Look for him in the later rounds.

Last edited by Sandman; 05-23-2024 at 03:35 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 06:49 AM   #3377
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'll be the happiest fan ever if Cayden Lindstrom drops into the Flames lap. I predict if that does happen the only reason the Flames wouldn't be blind sprinting up to the podium to make the pick is because they had to quickly dig out the Jersey with his name on it from the bottom of the bin because it wasn't ready as they thought he'd be long gone.
I think Lindstrom is pretty high on the Flames list. I was listening to a podcast around Christmas time with Steve Ellis from DF. He mentioned speaking to Iginla, who had been watching Lindstrom closely and had lots of good things to say.

My dream scenario is for the Flames to find another pick in the top 12. If they can somehow snag a pick that lands them Lindstrom and one of Parek/Yakumcuk/Buium/Dickenson that would be a triple deck home run. I’d be happy with Iginla or Catton too but based on the way Ellis spoke about it, I think Lindstrom might be the highest ranked forward on the Flames list….(just my speculation).
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 07:46 AM   #3378
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Updated rankings ...

* Button's update
* Flames confirmed at pick 28

Is Button's list a sign of things to come? Iginla moving into a lot of ranking's top five?

9th Pick
Code:
Flames	7	Zeev Buium	D	7.63
Flames	8	Anton Silayev	D	8.05
Flames	9	Zayne Parekh	D	9.42
Flames	10	Konsta Helenius	C	10.26
Flames	11	Cole Eiserman	LW	10.26
28th Pick
Code:
Flames	26	Terik Parascak	RW	30.31
Flames	27	Aron Kiviharju	D	31.81
Flames	28	Henry Mews	D	32.58
Flames	29	E.J. Emery	D	33.43
Flames	30	Jett Luchanko	C	33.72
Overall Rankings
Code:
1	M Celebrini	C	1.00
2	Ivan Demidov	RW	2.79
3	A Levshunov	D	4.53
4	Sam Dickinson	D	6.37
5	Berkly Catton	C	7.21
6	C Lindstrom	C	7.32
7	Zeev Buium	D	7.63
8	Anton Silayev	D	8.05
9	Zayne Parekh	D	9.42
10	Konsta Helenius	C	10.26
11	Cole Eiserman	LW	10.26
12	Tij Iginla	C	11.58
13	C Yakemchuk	D	12.58
14	Liam Greentree	RW	14.83
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 08:17 AM   #3379
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His list isn't predicting the order. It's ranking players as he sees them.
The real evaluation would be to go back and look at the hit rates for the different ranking lists (not mocks or predictive lists). But that would be a lot of work.
But you can't really compare Mac's list to Button. They are very different things.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2024, 08:39 AM   #3380
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricprez View Post
I know the fairytale story is Tij, but my hope is for Buium.
I honestly think he's going to be the bigger force in the NHL and more of a gamebreaker for the team who get him.
I agree - I can see him becoming the gem of the draft. Without knowing anything about him though, how open would he be to commit long-term to the franchise?? Unfortunately a question that needs to be evaluated with all Americans.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft