Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2023, 06:44 PM   #7321
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Goddam it you guys. Now I have to go rewatch The Big Short.
Never a bad use of time.
Old 10-27-2023, 07:54 AM   #7322
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the 80s remake of The Blob, criminally underrated. In terms of special effects and gore it's right there with the much more talked about The Thing. Now The Thing is a better movie, but I was floored by how good the gore looked in this. This, The Fly and The Thing make up the trilogy of amazing 80s remakes based off 50s movies.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2023, 08:37 AM   #7323
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you like the movie, you need to read the book (i know, i know). But Michael Lewis is one of the best story tellers for stuff like this.

It also diverges from the main story of the book a bit; from what i remember. While the movie goes hard after the bankers and their shady dealings, the book focuses a bit more on the credit rating agencies, which is really interesting.

If i remember correctly, the book also delves into why these guys weren't arrested or charged (basically because there were no laws on the subject) and looks at it more from the incompetence angle vs a grand conspiracy angle many like to paint.

It is a great book, made better by the movie.

My favourite part of the movie is when a character would break the fourth wall to explain how something happened differently in real life
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 09:00 AM   #7324
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I watched the 80s remake of The Blob, criminally underrated. In terms of special effects and gore it's right there with the much more talked about The Thing. Now The Thing is a better movie, but I was floored by how good the gore looked in this. This, The Fly and The Thing make up the trilogy of amazing 80s remakes based off 50s movies.

The Fly was a brilliant remake by Cronenberg. Not a movie for the squeamish.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 12:02 AM   #7325
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
Old Dads is looking more like an old dud for Bill Burr.

it’s been met with mixed reviews by critics and audiences alike. Case in point: Over on Letterboxd, the film currently averages only 2.5 stars But while many of the reviews were scathing, they were at least funny — some might argue funnier than Old Dads.

https://www.cracked.com/image-pictof...burrs-old-dads
Just watched it and it's exactly what I expected.
Funny enough, enjoyed myself, nothing special.

These sort of movies always get reviewed terribly though; not sure what people are hoping for.

Maybe the bad reviews are from offended Gen-Xers.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 10:30 AM   #7326
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
If you like the movie, you need to read the book (i know, i know). But Michael Lewis is one of the best story tellers for stuff like this.

It also diverges from the main story of the book a bit; from what i remember. While the movie goes hard after the bankers and their shady dealings, the book focuses a bit more on the credit rating agencies, which is really interesting.

If i remember correctly, the book also delves into why these guys weren't arrested or charged (basically because there were no laws on the subject) and looks at it more from the incompetence angle vs a grand conspiracy angle many like to paint.

It is a great book, made better by the movie.

My favourite part of the movie is when a character would break the fourth wall to explain how something happened differently in real life
Great recommendation and I would add Liar's Poker. I enjoyed that book even more.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 11:55 PM   #7327
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
Any good recommendations for a horror movie to watch this weekend?
I was thinking either "A Tale of Two Sisters" or "I Saw the Devil", but wanted to see if there were any other recommendations for something scary.

My wife will be picking comedy horrors, so I'm looking for something a bit more unsettling, haha.
I watched The Crucible for the first time in about 25 years, and thought it was incredible.

It's actually waaay less of a horror movie than I remembered, but scary in different ways. More McCarthyism than Salem witches.

Daniel Day-Lewis is at his finest.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 12:58 AM   #7328
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Just watched the Argentine horror movie When Evil Lurks, probably the best of the year. Might be the bleakest and meanest horror movies I've seen.

I saw this list recently:
https://letterboxd.com/horrorville/l...films-of-2023/

And still need to track down / wait for a few of the other top rated ones. I'm especially looking forward to that Korean one, Sleep.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 01:53 AM   #7329
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Just watched the Argentine horror movie When Evil Lurks, probably the best of the year. Might be the bleakest and meanest horror movies I've seen.

I saw this list recently:
https://letterboxd.com/horrorville/l...films-of-2023/

And still need to track down / wait for a few of the other top rated ones. I'm especially looking forward to that Korean one, Sleep.
I am watching this tomorrow and so excited! I'm glad you liked it.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 03:17 AM   #7330
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
I am watching this tomorrow and so excited! I'm glad you liked it.
I'd be curious to know your thoughts after.

It's the type of horror that's so downright mean that I'm sure it won't click with everyone, even for those that love horror. It doesn't rely on cheap jump scares, or cliche tropes IMO.

My wife and I finished it and basically said "Ugh... that was awful... but awesome." Similar to the feelings you get once you finish Hereditary or Antichrist.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2023, 01:52 PM   #7331
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was pretty good as well
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 09:59 PM   #7332
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Infinity pool was awesome and totally insane.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2023, 12:02 AM   #7333
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Not a horror movie guy, but I think I saw that at a drive-in when it was released. Classic cheese.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 05:24 AM   #7334
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I'd be curious to know your thoughts after.

It's the type of horror that's so downright mean that I'm sure it won't click with everyone, even for those that love horror. It doesn't rely on cheap jump scares, or cliche tropes IMO.

My wife and I finished it and basically said "Ugh... that was awful... but awesome." Similar to the feelings you get once you finish Hereditary or Antichrist.
Pros: No cheap scares, Movie had no boundaries which I think has a lot to do with it being a foreign film, Was creepy as #### and was the perfect length

Cons: Felt a bit unrealistic at times which for me personally made it less creepy than it could’ve been, The possessed dying then their bodies being perfectly intact wasn’t really explained and caused some confusion.

4/5 for a horror film. It was brutal without jump scares and I love brutal without jump scares.
The Following User Says Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 10-30-2023, 06:46 AM   #7335
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wife and I watched "We Have A Ghost" on Netflix.

It's an ok movie. Something entertaining to half watch while you play a game on your phone. had some good moments. 6/10.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 07:08 AM   #7336
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, I haven't seen it yet but feels like there's a lot of A24 fans here and I believe NEON is producing movies at the same quality over the last 5 years or so..

Their new French film which is up for a ton of awards 'Anatomy of a Fall' is playing at Eau Claire Cineplex right now which has a 96%/91% on RT and 4.2 on Letterboxd

They're also known for Triangle of Sadness, Infinity Pool, Titane, Possessor, The Lodge, and Academy Award Winner Parasite recently. I'll be checking it out in the next week or so.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2023, 12:47 PM   #7337
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Talk to Me was pretty good.
I really liked the concept. Left a bit dissatisfied because I think the potential was there for a really great horror film and they slightly missed the mark.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2023, 01:49 PM   #7338
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
I really liked the concept. Left a bit dissatisfied because I think the potential was there for a really great horror film and they slightly missed the mark.
Pretty much. It's well made, but based on it's reputation I expected something that would feel less.... disposable.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 08:59 PM   #7339
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Also, I haven't seen it yet but feels like there's a lot of A24 fans here and I believe NEON is producing movies at the same quality over the last 5 years or so..

Their new French film which is up for a ton of awards 'Anatomy of a Fall' is playing at Eau Claire Cineplex right now which has a 96%/91% on RT and 4.2 on Letterboxd

They're also known for Triangle of Sadness, Infinity Pool, Titane, Possessor, The Lodge, and Academy Award Winner Parasite recently. I'll be checking it out in the next week or so.
I saw Anatomy of a Fall at CIFF last month and really enjoyed it, highly recommend
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2023, 09:55 PM   #7340
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Old Dads is hilarious. Seems like the kind of movie that critics would hate, but it’s a funny play on the generational/ideological divide of today.

If you don’t like Bill Burr standup, you won’t like the movie.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post: