Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2023, 09:19 AM   #1001
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was good. Set-up at least some of the back story of Ellie. She's a kid who's only read about the 'old' times so getting to see her reaction to stuff like a mall or video games or Victoria Secret is fun. Also just acting like a kid, stealing drinks - have a big crush, etc.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 09:57 AM   #1002
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
We're going to see multiple seasons. Giving the main character a backstory is hardly filler.
I saw a gameplay scene in an episode review of them wandering a "dinosaur museum" in part II

It's like alberta was made for this series

Looking forward to seeing Tyrell given the PA treatment
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 10:02 AM   #1003
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Venturing a guess that Ben Shapiro will decide he's OK with underage lesbians in a mall over middle-aged gay men in the suburbs.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 10:10 AM   #1004
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Venturing a guess that Ben Shapiro will decide he's OK with underage lesbians in a mall over middle-aged gay men in the suburbs.
The homosexual demographic seems to be weathering the Apocalypse rather well.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2023, 10:16 AM   #1005
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I thought it was good. Set-up at least some of the back story of Ellie. She's a kid who's only read about the 'old' times so getting to see her reaction to stuff like a mall or video games or Victoria Secret is fun. Also just acting like a kid, stealing drinks - have a big crush, etc.
Yes - the story isn't about zombies, it's about one character, Ellie, who is changed by being exposed to the world, and the player (or viewer, now) taking that journey out of innocence, with her - and a second character, Joel, who is changed by his relationship with Ellie, and us taking that journey with him. It's basically all character arc, plot is barely a consideration. In order to get that across to the audience, giving enough screen time to who the characters were, are, and become is necessary - for example, the scenes with Joel and Ellie after they leave Wyoming don't have the same tone as his interactions with her outside Boston. That again is why I think this should have been a couple episodes longer, not just to slow down the pace but to get those changes across more clearly to the viewer.

Again, minor gripes, just "I would have done it a bit differently". But I'd already said here how I would pace this thing well before it came out and even though I'm very much enjoying the show I don't think it's changed my mind, on the whole.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 02-27-2023 at 10:19 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2023, 10:25 AM   #1006
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought it was one of those instances where the flashback was a nice break from the breakneck pace of the present timeline

I felt like we learn so little about the inner workings of the Boston QZ and what was going on there. We got a peak from the citizen's side. This time we got a glimpse into the other side

It showed us how Ellie too has lost the closest person to her, and thus what motivates her now in order to not let that happen again

It being engaging from start to finish helped too

Without this and episode three, TLOU's world would feel much smaller and less fleshed out. These episodes help to world build as well as expand on characters. I don't have an issue with it
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2023, 10:51 AM   #1007
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I enjoyed it, but it was hard to shake the feeling the entire time that it was a "lesser" episode in the season. I actually felt Sarah(?)'s actress was a bit stilted and drug Ramsey down to her level in some scenes, and the scenes where Ramsey really put her back into it, the difference was quite noticeable.

I found myself glancing at the clock a few times during the ep, not because I was bored mind you, but was mentally clocking how much of the episode was going to be flashback and was surprised when the flashback interval passed the 30m mark. I'm mostly in agreement with the thread that the pacing would have been better spent trimming the fat down by ~5-10m and showing a bit more around the "current" Joel/Ellie timespace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 11:11 AM   #1008
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think it's debatable if this flashback episode was really necessary. As I said before it wasn't even part of the original game and a DLC add-on. I really like the show but it's not above criticism.
To each their own. I though it was pretty necessary. It added to the main character and also to the universe. We got a much better idea about how the "government" works and the views of the opposing sides.

The show kept the backstory contained to a single episode and really just hit on the big points. It's not like we got multiple episodes of Bethany vs. Ellie drama.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 11:39 AM   #1009
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's funny is the FEDRA officer was right.

What has happened to any of the settlements we have either seen or heard of where FEDRA was overthrown? Wiped out.

So far, only Wyoming is doing well without the government on top.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2023, 11:44 AM   #1010
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post

What has happened to any of the settlements we have either seen or heard of where FEDRA was overthrown? Wiped out.

So far, only Wyoming is doing well without the government on top.
Yep.

One of the ongoing themes in real life and mirrored in media is that people notoriously have no idea whats best for them.

Even in that last episode, Riley joins the Fireflies because FEDRA was going to put her on 'Sewer Duty.'

"Thats what they think of me!"

Well lady, I dunno, maybe you should have put more effort into your school work instead of getting into fights all the time and running away?

Being given a crappy assignment as a 17-year old doesnt seem like it warrants joining a terrorist organization bent on destruction and murder.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 11:49 AM   #1011
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post

Well, what examples do we have, other than Kansas City? Frank said the Baltimore QZ was "gone", but that might not have been a matter of Fedra being overthrown - I would think the more likely reason would be that the infection got in. Riley also says that other QZs have been liberated by fireflies with success, though who knows if that information is reliable or just Marlene feeding people hope to keep them fighting.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 11:54 AM   #1012
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

While being the weakest episode of the season so far, still a damn good hour of TV.

Bella is a powerhouse and I can’t wait to see what she does with the material in Part 2.

A lot of this episode was lifted directly from the DLC, and those moments did hit hard. I do think there were some pacing issues this episode, and maybe not enough intertwining present day Ellie with past Ellie.

I understand why they didn’t have Ellie see any infected in the present day considering how much of a threat just one infected was, but I do think I’m starting to feel a little let down with how few infected have been on screen this season. I wish that the scene in the mall reflected the DLC a bit more with a chase of a few infected just to have a bit more urgency.

I do also think the ending could have shown Bella alone in the mall and mirrored it with her alone while Joel is dying at the end, giving a bit more of a thread of the fear and eventuality of losing people.

Chemistry was great, the cinematography was excellent, and the acting was beautiful. I think it could have been tightened up a bit, and woven in a bit more with the main narrative and it would have been a phenomenal episode.
Old 02-27-2023, 11:57 AM   #1013
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yep.

One of the ongoing themes in real life and mirrored in media is that people notoriously have no idea whats best for them.

Even in that last episode, Riley joins the Fireflies because FEDRA was going to put her on 'Sewer Duty.'

"Thats what they think of me!"

Well lady, I dunno, maybe you should have put more effort into your school work instead of getting into fights all the time and running away?

Being given a crappy assignment as a 17-year old doesnt seem like it warrants joining a terrorist organization bent on destruction and murder.
Showing kids who are unable to see the bigger picture beyond their immediate problems (freaking out thinking that sewage duty is what she would be condemned to for the rest of her existence), delinquent behaviour, etc. Pretty accurate portrayal of teen problems/crises in a QZ reality. The show has done a great job of making the world fungus world feel realistic
Old 02-27-2023, 12:04 PM   #1014
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep.

Really now. Controlled food and exercise would do wonders for 90% of the population.
Old 02-27-2023, 12:04 PM   #1015
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Last time I was in Northlands it kinda looked like that anyway.
Lol 100%

Second last time I was there, the food court was mostly in darkness and it was myself and one couple in the entire place on a weekday, and just 3 food counters open (subway, a&w and wok). Over half the stores were no longer occupied

Last tiime I was there half of it was boarded up with plywood

They had great timing to be able to make use of a shady looking old mall in its twilight
Old 02-27-2023, 12:23 PM   #1016
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I mean, if you really think about things from the point of view of Earth... humanity is the actual fungus, and the fungus in the show is just Earth trying to fight back and return all these carbon-based spores to where they came from.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 12:31 PM   #1017
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

https://variety.com/2023/artisans/ne...gn-1235536965/

This article seems to get some details wrong - the designer said the carousel belonged to Northland and it went to another mall after Northland went out of business and they rented and shipped it back.

It's actually the carousel from Chinook which they got rid of after they renovated their food court. You can tell by the mountain scenes along the top.

Sounds like the Chinook carousel went to Spruce Meadows which is probably where LTOU rented it from
https://calgarysun.com/sports/horse-...spruce-meadows

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-27-2023 at 12:50 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 02:09 PM   #1018
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's absolutely Northland.
Yup

Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 03:13 PM   #1019
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The homosexual demographic seems to be weathering the Apocalypse rather well.
Lol at the angry old man bigot posters that only showed up in the thread to complain after Episode 3, wandered off and are back again for this episode now. Was obvious in the gaming thread and so obvious now.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 03:19 PM   #1020
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It's absolutely Northland. Everything above the first floor was added digitally. When they shot it there were a ton of pictures of the set that were on social media.
Craig Mazin talks a bit about this in their official podcast.

I was neat to see the awe of standing in front of a long lost arcade, "This is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen". Even in the real world, they are mostly gone already. Except in Japan.

(Easter Egg in the name from Uncharted)

Spoiler!

Last edited by chemgear; 02-27-2023 at 03:21 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote