Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment

Old 01-16-2023, 12:53 AM   #21
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was awesome, such a great start
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:25 AM   #22
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems they've done away with the need to wear gas masks inside to avoid inhaling the spores.

I understand why they did that because no one wants to pay Pedro Pascal to run around in a mask all the time (well, no one but Disney), but it does change how the infection is spread.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:34 AM   #23
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

My main interest in this show is location spotting!
Joe's drive through the town (Fort MacLeod) starts in this google maps link. They actually rebadge the Empress theatre as Monarch theatre which is more effort than was put into it for Interstellar or Ghostbusters.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.7247...7i16384!8i8192

The Boston Quarantine Zone - you can find the damn thing on Google Earth - that's how long they filmed here in Calgary! Who knew it was the apocalypse just behind Rosso's roasting facility in Ramsay/Odgen:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0294.../data=!3m1!1e3

imgbb

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-16-2023 at 08:22 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 02:37 AM   #24
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Great first episode, I enjoyed most of the differences and appreciated the scenes that felt near identical.

Regarding the lack of spores, I get the change because it's both an issue when it comes to having your actors faces hidden or obstructed, and practically it's an effect that probably can only be done digitally and would be very difficult to have it look convincing IMO.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 05:32 AM   #25
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Great first episode.

I stopped looking for local landmarks within five minutes as the story just sucked me right in; the production is of such high quality. The actress who played Sarah really set the stage in the opening scenes, she did a great job.
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:34 AM   #26
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Maybe we can keep the location spotting and game comparisons to the other thread. I’m here to talk about the tv show.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:43 AM   #27
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Great first episode, I enjoyed most of the differences and appreciated the scenes that felt near identical.

Regarding the lack of spores, I get the change because it's both an issue when it comes to having your actors faces hidden or obstructed, and practically it's an effect that probably can only be done digitally and would be very difficult to have it look convincing IMO.
Is it confirmed that spores won’t be used? I feel like they still may come into play
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:47 AM   #28
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really enjoyable first ep; first 30m were reasonably harrowing, but I felt another 5-10m of padded room would have benefitted the second and third acts. Scenes like where Joel and Ellie meet were a lot more enjoyable because they gave some time to establish characterization, rather than some of the rushed scenes that preceded it. Understandably I get why the showrunners didn't want to spend as much time in the QZ, but we're here for the whole first episode and what's an extra 5m runtime, y'know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 08:00 AM   #29
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I thought it was great. It definitely benefits from some great actors as I thought Sarah’s death hit a lot harder than it did in the game. Probably also helped that we spent a little more time with her and Joel.

I think it’s funny that there is anyone who thinks Pedro as Joel is a harder buy than Bella as Ellie, for me it was the opposite. That said, as much as a remake as this is, I decided to just shut that part of my brain off and enjoy it after the first few minutes of it bothering me. I also didn’t really notice any specific Alberta locations but certain areas felt “familiar” which was kind of nice in terms of really getting lost in the story. The biggest benefit of something being filmed here even if the story isn’t based here is that it just feels that much more real, which is cool.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:03 AM   #30
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Maybe we can keep the location spotting and game comparisons to the other thread. I’m here to talk about the tv show.
Does the other thread have spoilers though if that's where people are comparing to the game? Location spotting is part of the fun of this, not sure why both can't be done at the same time.

Seeing Theatre Calgary was kinda neat. Also the guy who played the watch repairman is a great local actor who also is the head of the Shakespeare Company.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 09:11 AM   #31
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah – I thought it was pretty great.

Pedo as Joel is solid

Really enjoyed Bella Ramsey as Ellie

Very cool to spot locations in Calgary.

My only issue was the final scene, where they encounter the soldier and find out Ellie is infected. It seemed half-baked. Tess screamed and Ellie says “this is three weeks,” but it wasn’t clear what she was pointing at or referring to. I know because I played the game, but I would find that confusing without that background knowledge.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:16 AM   #32
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Yeah – I thought it was pretty great.

Pedo as Joel is solid

Really enjoyed Bella Ramsey as Ellie

Very cool to spot locations in Calgary.

My only issue was the final scene, where they encounter the soldier and find out Ellie is infected. It seemed half-baked. Tess screamed and Ellie says “this is three weeks,” but it wasn’t clear what she was pointing at or referring to. I know because I played the game, but I would find that confusing without that background knowledge.
I don’t know, she was pretty clearly showing a healed scar, and they spent enough time on that poster showing the time for limb injuries to infection as something like 12 hours. I watched it with someone who doesn’t know anything about the games (didn’t even know this was a zombie show) and he wasn’t confused by it at all.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 09:40 AM   #33
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't played the game and wasn't confused at all about it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 09:48 AM   #34
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reminder

Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 09:48 AM   #35
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
My main interest in this show is location spotting!
Joe's drive through the town (Fort MacLeod) starts in this google maps link. They actually rebadge the Empress theatre as Monarch theatre which is more effort than was put into it for Interstellar or Ghostbusters.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.7247...7i16384!8i8192

The Boston Quarantine Zone - you can find the damn thing on Google Earth - that's how long they filmed here in Calgary! Who knew it was the apocalypse just behind Rosso's roasting facility in Ramsay/Odgen:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.0294.../data=!3m1!1e3

imgbb
Location spotting post-episode is definitely going to be part of the fun, so I appreciate this! Keep it up buddy!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 09:49 AM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Official HBO podcast, hosted by Troy Baker (voice actor for Joel in the game) with Neil Druckmann (co-creator of the game) and Craig Mazin (writer/director of the show, and for Chernobyl:

I LOVED this element of Chernobyl so I'm glad he's doing it again, thanks for the heads up!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:58 AM   #37
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Location spotting post-episode is definitely going to be part of the fun, so I appreciate this! Keep it up buddy!
I found it funny that we watched Sarah take a bus through downtown Calgary only to end up in Fort Macleod with some tall buildings pasted in the background

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 10:08 AM   #38
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Does the other thread have spoilers though if that's where people are comparing to the game? Location spotting is part of the fun of this, not sure why both can't be done at the same time.

Seeing Theatre Calgary was kinda neat. Also the guy who played the watch repairman is a great local actor who also is the head of the Shakespeare Company.
Well the thread title of this thread says no game spoilers and it didn’t take 10 posts for a bunch of spoilers to be posted.

The location talk has nothing to do with the actual show. Keep it to the production thread. That’s what it’s for.

Maybe we just need more threads like for GoT. One for game spoiler talk, one for tv show only and one for production talk.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:30 AM   #39
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Well the thread title of this thread says no game spoilers and it didn’t take 10 posts for a bunch of spoilers to be posted.
I haven't seen anyone post about events from the game that haven't occurred yet in the series. Talking about differences/similarities between the show and game for stuff shown IN the episode isn't a spoiler
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:31 AM   #40
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

First episode was great, really enjoyed Lady Mormont's character.

I don't understand though why they filmed this in Calgary where they had to build this whole post apocalyptic disgustingly dirty world where everyone is miserable and feels trapped and is super unhygienic, when just a few hours north it already exists!

Just grab some stock footage of Whyte Ave after an Oilers game and be done with it.