Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-16-2022, 09:24 AM   #5381
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1603774411655598080

Alberta to take over firearms prosecutions from the feds.
Yay!!! Alberta taxpayers get to pay the legal fees for both sides to take this to court!!!
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 09:26 AM   #5382
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fiscal Conservatism at work folks.

A government driven by ideology over pragmatism is great eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 09:26 AM   #5383
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1603785033717792768

New poll big increase in lead to NDP.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 09:30 AM   #5384
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Fiscal Conservatism at work folks.

A government driven by ideology over pragmatism is great eh.
This is the most embarrassing Alberta has ever been. I’m at least Kenney had some redeeming qualities policy-wise. The latest iteration of the UCP and their supporters are complete idiots.

Nothing pragmatic, no fiscal conservatism to speak of, just a financially wasteful exercise in pushing a dumb socially regressive agenda. Zero respect for these people.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 09:32 AM   #5385
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Interesting to see Alberta Party down 6 points. Clearly the mindset at the moment for a lot of people is anybody but UCP and strategic voting is at the heart of it.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 09:37 AM   #5386
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I really don't understand how 338 works. Last poll on Dec 3rd had the UCP up 2, but the NDP had a 52% chance of the most seats. This poll has the NDP up 8 but the UCP now has a 66% chance for the most seats. Even looking at trends, the NDP have been leading 6 of the 10 most recent polls.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 09:38 AM   #5387
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What do you think might have caused this?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 09:38 AM   #5388
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
Interesting to see Alberta Party down 6 points. Clearly the mindset at the moment for a lot of people is anybody but UCP and strategic voting is at the heart of it.
Barry Mori####a is not the right person to lead that party. Problem is no one wants to lead a chronically underfunded, low-profile party that is going to get slaughtered. Even if they have some decent ideas.

They probably need to get a young, vibrant and pragmatic leader in there that can speak to the undecided youth and get the profile out there. And that person needs to be urban-centric. Mori####a's stomping grounds is Brooks-Medicine Hat and that's just not visible enough.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 09:42 AM   #5389
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
Sports analogy- voting Ndp would be like cheering for the Oilers.
Real life analogy - this isn't a game.

This post is the exact problem we face: you don't need to "cheer" for your team, non-stop, no matter what. Its ok to say they suck, did something bad, or have really gone off the rails.

You can, to carry this piss-poor analogy further, cheer for the other team. In fact its not you can, its you should - when something is wrong, and not in the best interest of your city/province/country, you must "switch sides" and vote for the opposition.

Be better.

(and yes, the Oilers = NG).
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 09:55 AM   #5390
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
The last couple of days I was able to meet and speak with several MLAs(Ucp and Ndp) including couple ministers and the DP. None were bad people.
I'm struggling to understand how you can come away from a face-to-face conversation with any politician and think you've captured their true feelings and motivations.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 09:58 AM   #5391
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think this trend looks good for the Ucp. The Smith bubble near the end seems to be a blip and they are back on the rise. As I mentioned before I think they will start winning some of the moderate middle as they march toward the spring election.

As for myself I was undecided as I am not a Smith supporter and frankly she really turns me off. The last couple of days I was able to meet and speak with several MLAs(Ucp and Ndp) including couple ministers and the DP. None were bad people. Since then despite my feelings of Danielle Smith I feel the Ucp best fits the interest of my business and industry.
CroCop works in insurance confirmed.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 10:00 AM   #5392
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Sports analogy- voting Ndp would be like cheering for the Oilers.
I would literally vote for Leon Draisaitl over Danielle Smith if he ran for Premier, no exaggeration.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 10:12 AM   #5393
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Barry Mori####a is not the right person to lead that party. Problem is no one wants to lead a chronically underfunded, low-profile party that is going to get slaughtered. Even if they have some decent ideas.

They probably need to get a young, vibrant and pragmatic leader in there that can speak to the undecided youth and get the profile out there. And that person needs to be urban-centric. Mori####a's stomping grounds is Brooks-Medicine Hat and that's just not visible enough.
I've said this time and time again - I miss Greg Clark. He was the best thing to ever happen to that party, and would have been a tremendous Premier, IMO.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2022, 10:44 AM   #5394
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I would literally vote for Leon Draisaitl over Danielle Smith if he ran for Premier, no exaggeration.
Here in lies the problem with politics, do you really know that to be true?

I know nothing about Leons politics, for all I know he also has incredibly underdeveloped and immature libertarian political philosophies, that completely fail to consider the ramifications of ignoring what benefits we have all gained from collective action, and there is no difference between him and Smith.

For example if there were only 2 choices I would probably take Smith over Brett Wilson, or Jay Westman, so almost every politician has a limit where I become a supporter.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 10:50 AM   #5395
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1603774411655598080

Alberta to take over firearms prosecutions from the feds.
Alberta already prosecutes firearms offences. They have since I became a criminal lawyer in 2003. So they are 'taking back' something they have already been doing for a couple decades. What a major 'hammer drop' LOL.

If you would prefer to take the word of Canada's Justice Minister instead of mine that is ok too:

Quote:
Lametti said he is trying to understand Shandro’s announcement because firearms charges are already being prosecuted by provincial prosecutors.
https://globalnews.ca/news/9351108/t...earm-measures/
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 10:51 AM   #5396
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

I'm going to take back what I already have, take THAT Justin!!!

Our Provincial Government has the maturity of a 5 year old.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:00 AM   #5397
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post
Alberta already prosecutes firearms offences. They have since I became a criminal lawyer in 2003. So they are 'taking back' something they have already been doing for a couple decades. What a major 'hammer drop' LOL.

If you would prefer to take the word of Canada's Justice Minister instead of mine that is ok too:

They have to pretend that their sovereignty act is doing something. They know their base won't care about the actual facts, "taking back" things from the feds that they already had is a perfect way to get a good soundbite without risking any actual legal action from Ottawa
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:17 AM   #5398
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
They have to pretend that their sovereignty act is doing something. They know their base won't care about the actual facts, "taking back" things from the feds that they already had is a perfect way to get a good soundbite without risking any actual legal action from Ottawa
Just discussed this announcement with a coworker of mine. When I mentioned we already do this and there were no other changes, he didn't believe me. Went on to say that there was probably other things behind the scenes that matter more. As well, according to an article he read, since Shandro can't direct the police what to do, he's directed the Prosecutors not to proceed with any gun charges.

I then mentioned the fact that there is no confirmation of that and asked if they were happy with politicians directing the outcome of the legal system, or dictating (see what I did there?) the result ignoring the fact that a current written law has been broken. Asked if they were happy if politicians applied that ability to more than just gun laws, but anything else. The reply was "It happens every day under our noses anyways, just look at trudeau".

These people are so far gone that nothing will bring them to reality. They are willing to undermine every foundation that makes this country great to protect their own personal beliefs/freedoms, no matter what.
Old 12-16-2022, 11:18 AM   #5399
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post

Hard to believe Shandro is a Lawyer. Just waiting for the spin on this mistake as well. Seems like all that is said by this bunch gets rolled back in some form. Weird folks, would love to know who "handles" these fools.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:24 AM   #5400
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
These people are so far gone that nothing will bring them to reality. They are willing to undermine every foundation that makes this country great to protect their own personal beliefs/freedoms, no matter what.
Crazy how much Alberta is like The Matrix right now. Many people need to consider something greater, take 'the pill', pull the plug, and wake the #### up.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote