Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-05-2022, 12:27 PM   #8081
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I mean, I think matata's response to that would be clowns aren't aggressive and there is no sex or gender component, so not super sure what you're saying here.
I'm pretty sure there have been more clowns suffer capital punishment than drag queens.

Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 12:28 PM   #8082
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to both sides it - I agree that both sides have provocateurs who rile people up unnecessarily. And both sides have people who allow themselves to get riled up by these people.

That's pretty well where it ends though. One side writes a bunch of tweets and protests with signs, the other side parades around with a bunch of guns. If one of them turns violent, pretty safe to say which one I'd prefer to be at.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:33 PM   #8083
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Can someone put me in my place by showing a demonic clown with some form of a used tampon prop reading to children in a politicians library?
Look in the mirror?

I kid. I kid.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:53 PM   #8084
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I remember how it all started now, this beauty, with her crown of used tampons, was invited to Michelle Obama's library to read to children:

Can someone put me in my place by showing a demonic clown with some form of a used tampon prop reading to children in a politicians library?

like, really https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/drag-queen-library/

No used tampons, no demonic teachings. Easy to check on these things.

Be better.
Old 12-05-2022, 01:03 PM   #8085
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think calling it drag story time leads to the sexual connotations that people object to and what allows it to be fox newsed.

Drag, in popular culture, leads to connotations of a burlesque style show with a lot of revealing costumes and sexual innuendo. Whereas Drag as defined by the people participating in drag culture is broader.

Really they should call this Princess story time where a person dressed up like a princess reads children a story. The gender of the person reading the story should be immaterial. Somehow if they did this I think people would be even more outraged.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 01:17 PM   #8086
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post

Be better.
He is now going to claim that SNOPES is compromised as a source. It is coming. Trust me.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:18 PM   #8087
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

What they call it doesn’t matter, the small minded will find a way to take offence no matter what.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 01:19 PM   #8088
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Be better.
Are you new here?

Matata and Yoho must be parody accounts.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:22 PM   #8089
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think calling it drag story time leads to the sexual connotations that people object to and what allows it to be fox newsed.

Drag, in popular culture, leads to connotations of a burlesque style show with a lot of revealing costumes and sexual innuendo. Whereas Drag as defined by the people participating in drag culture is broader.

Really they should call this Princess story time where a person dressed up like a princess reads children a story. The gender of the person reading the story should be immaterial. Somehow if they did this I think people would be even more outraged.
They are just going to find a different reason get outraged about it . It's pointless to try to appease them.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 01:49 PM   #8090
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Are you new here?

Matata and Yoho must be parody accounts.

I mean anyone who has seen my body of work probably agrees I haven't been paying much attention for the past 17 years.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 01:51 PM   #8091
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean anyone who has seen my body of work probably agrees I haven't been paying much attention for the past 17 years.
In fairness to you those two Muppets aren't worth anyone's attention.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 02:10 PM   #8092
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I’m surprised at the lack of conversation surrounding the trump constitution tweet. If this dude wins, he’s telling us in plain sight what will occur. You already have GOP reps stating they’re still voting for trump despite that statement. They support this. As such, Trump is asking for a fight against Americans. Civil war is approaching closer and closer by the day..
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:46 PM   #8093
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherapyforGlencross View Post
I’m surprised at the lack of conversation surrounding the trump constitution tweet. If this dude wins, he’s telling us in plain sight what will occur. You already have GOP reps stating they’re still voting for trump despite that statement. They support this. As such, Trump is asking for a fight against Americans. Civil war is approaching closer and closer by the day..
Don't worry, he's already denied saying that

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...rce=reddit.com
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 03:21 PM   #8094
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
You realize Gavin McInnes is literally the guy who started the Proud Boys movement, right?
Oh, he knows.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 05:19 PM   #8095
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Jumping into this fray again I guess.

Will the progressive contingent at least admit that a railroad strike would hurt a lot of people rich and poor? If you don't believe that, then I guess I can see why a strike is ok, but I think it is pretty established that it would.

Is your preference to allow a strike that could drag on for a while, or do you have a different solution in mind? I've only seen extend the cooling off period as a possible solution? They've already been through a few deadlines, what would kicking the can down the road do except bring this to a head at a later time?

I've worked at places throughout my life with no sick time, with unlimited sick days, with a defined number of sick days, and where they ditched sick days and added a week to vacation and called it PTO. Personally, I preferred the last option. Everywhere I worked with discrete sick days always had problems with some people abusing them also with managers wrongly assuming or accusing people of abusing them. Where I work now, doesn't sound much different than the railroad workers. I get fairly generous PTO, but know that I have to save some of those in case of sickness or other expected illness. And we have short term disability that kicks in if we're out for more than I think 4 days. It seems disingenuous for the union to accept that vacation and sick days were rolled into PTO, and then claim they have to take vacation days if they're sick.

If it is as the mediation board said, that they should be entitled to use 10 of their pto days as single days off without notice, is that unacceptable? Or is going back to discrete sick days the only acceptable answer? If they take a week back off of PTO to give them sick days is that going to make everyone happy? I'd imagine a lot of workers wouldn't want that.
Hey, I agree with you 100%. The strike would be devastating.

Crazy that we're at this point.

Just have a hard time believing that government legislation to literally not allow a strike is what the solution is.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:29 PM   #8096
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Delete please

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross; 12-05-2022 at 06:57 PM.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:54 AM   #8097
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Because the problem to people isn’t the sexual association, it’s the queer association.

The only reason bigots on here describe it as “sexually aggressive” and “grotesque” is because of the queer association. It’s a way to talk about the queer community that way while having plausible deniability about their intent.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 10:05 AM   #8098
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Because the problem to people isn’t the sexual association, it’s the queer association.

The only reason bigots on here describe it as “sexually aggressive” and “grotesque” is because of the queer association. It’s a way to talk about the queer community that way while having plausible deniability about their intent.
Yup.

Princess played by female performer with extravagant costume/makeup reading books to children = acceptable.

Princess played by LGBTQ drag performer with extravagant costume/makeup reading books to children = uproar, sexually aggressive, and heresy.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:21 AM   #8099
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

That costume is definitely on the frightening/unsettling side of things. It's not the dress or who's in it, just the head. It seems like more of a horror costume than anything, like some kind of demon princess. The message of it being okay to just be who you are is good by me though, and maybe the point is to show kids they don't have to be afraid of something that looks scary at first, just like it's okay to have a worm as a pet.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:29 AM   #8100
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
That costume is definitely on the frightening/unsettling side of things. It's not the dress or who's in it, just the head. It seems like more of a horror costume than anything, like some kind of demon princess. The message of it being okay to just be who you are is good by me though, and maybe the point is to show kids they don't have to be afraid of something that looks scary at first, just like it's okay to have a worm as a pet.
Except that's not really what it is.
Look at the rest of the costume.
There are flowers on her head, and those aren't horns, they're shoots (roots, whatever you want to call them). It's supposed to look like flowers are sprouting.
Does it look a little demonic? Sure I guess, from one perspective, but part of drag is doing things that "twist" your perception. On first glance, I guess it looks demonic, but when yo actually look at what it is, it's something totally different.