Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2022, 05:45 PM   #4601
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Sure, and very few of the laggards would have followed through. I guess it would be nice for the rest of us to have a cupboard full of replacement bulbs, but that wasn't really the point...

Consider the elderly...they were probably the largest demographic still using old-school inefficient practices. Maybe the general existence of the program would have been enough of a nudge to get adult children to help retrofit their parents' places, but I'm certainly glad they saved me the trouble.

Again, I'm not saying the program was a homerun, but mailing out coupons is too simplistic and misses the mark.
The final report on that program had it return 5x the cost in lifetime value of energy savings to participants when looking solely at households. The program was successful in doing what it set out to do. It had its share of issues and anecdotal disappointments - but the upfront value of $132M turning into $600M in lifetime savings has to be considered a win.

Energy Efficiency Alberta was a successful program that overall returned $3 for every $1 invested. That makes good economic sense, but was an easy target for partisans.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 06:55 PM   #4602
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1598469910413578240

Looks pretty straight forward.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:01 PM   #4603
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Someone on twitter compared it to the Enabling Act. Which was passed in Germany in 1933.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 07:04 PM   #4604
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

TL; DW:

'Mr. Speaker: it's shameful that the NDP is spreading lies about the ASWUCA by repeating what the Justice Minister confirmed to reporters when questioned for clarity. Now here's a bunch of rambling that doesn't give any information you need to know about the ASUWCA.'
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 07:13 PM   #4605
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Can we stop this game yet?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1598377774124879873
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:17 PM   #4606
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

The dropping in of one-sided/biased viewpoints, and then running away, is getting tiresome.

You support it. I think that's great. But if its so great, you should easily be able to articulate why, in your own view, and engage in discussion.

And yet....
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 07:20 PM   #4607
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
The dropping in of one-sided/biased viewpoints, and then running away, is getting tiresome.

You support it. I think that's great. But if its so great, you should easily be able to articulate why, in your own view, and engage in discussion.

And yet....
Maybe AI ain't so smart
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:25 PM   #4608
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Maybe AI ain't so smart
Or perhaps the A can stand for something other than artificial?
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:27 PM   #4609
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Looks pretty straight forward.
Somehow you were less insufferable (more sufferable?) when you couldn't even bang out a sentence to accompany your deplorable follows.

Can you give us 2 sentences on why you like AWUSCA?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 07:57 PM   #4610
Bs&Cs
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Somehow you were less insufferable (more sufferable?) when you couldn't even bang out a sentence to accompany your deplorable follows.

Can you give us 2 sentences on why you like AWUSCA?
Narrator: No. No he could not.
Bs&Cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:41 PM   #4611
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Smith playing 3D chess with Notley and she falls right into it.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1598444052038705152
Wait, if Trudeau can just cancel it, isn't this a tacit admission that the Sovereignty Act is impotent? These UCP can't do anything right, even when they're trying to do wrong!
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 08:46 PM   #4612
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Are there any intelligent and articulate Smith/UCP supporters on here that could try to help us understand her better? I mean, my impression of her and her team is borderline Bond villainesque, but I'm hoping maybe I'm just not exposed to a cogent explanation of the virtues of their style and substance.

Talking to Yoho reminds me of Bumblebee in the Transformers movie where he just strings together crap by flicking through radio stations and various announcers and singers spit out his thoughts except Yoho does it with tweets. Let's be honest, he's either a troll or a bit of a dim bulb.

It would be nice for a smart conservative to school us here a bit. Is there maybe one thing we can find that Smith is doing that is new and better than what Kenney was doing or better than what the ndp did or even proposed? Even accidentally. Or did the province literally get taken over by a group of total r-tards?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 08:55 PM   #4613
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe someone can jump in and defend her, but that party has been taken over by pretty hard right and radical people. Jason Kenney and Michelle Rempel-Garner are standing back because it’s too much for them. What does that tell you?

Like seriously, when you have a guy like Kenney who was already anti-LGBTQ and pretty far right and his first move is to GTFO, you have a good idea of who’s running things. And sort of on that topic, I wouldn’t be surprised at all to hear that some groups are rubbing their hands in hopes of the province using this “sovereignty act” to quash federal gay marriage or abortion laws or things like that. It’s an unending fight for some people.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:03 PM   #4614
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Are there any intelligent and articulate Smith/UCP supporters on here that could try to help us understand her better? I mean, my impression of her and her team is borderline Bond villainesque, but I'm hoping maybe I'm just not exposed to a cogent explanation of the virtues of their style and substance.

Talking to Yoho reminds me of Bumblebee in the Transformers movie where he just strings together crap by flicking through radio stations and various announcers and singers spit out his thoughts except Yoho does it with tweets. Let's be honest, he's either a troll or a bit of a dim bulb.

It would be nice for a smart conservative to school us here a bit. Is there maybe one thing we can find that Smith is doing that is new and better than what Kenney was doing or better than what the ndp did or even proposed? Even accidentally. Or did the province literally get taken over by a group of total r-tards?
No, probably not. And not just because she honestly can’t be defended because her views are well..insane, but because we can’t have any discussion between political differences. It was nice having different opinions on politics, but we have chased away posters like Cliff. So now we are left with mostly left wing posters going on and on about the same old. Fun right?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:06 PM   #4615
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Cliff wasn’t a UCP supporter though.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:08 PM   #4616
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Maybe someone can jump in and defend her, but that party has been taken over by pretty hard right and radical people. Jason Kenney and Michelle Rempel-Garner are standing back because it’s too much for them. What does that tell you?

Like seriously, when you have a guy like Kenney who was already anti-LGBTQ and pretty far right and his first move is to GTFO, you have a good idea of who’s running things. And sort of on that topic, I wouldn’t be surprised at all to hear that some groups are rubbing their hands in hopes of the province using this “sovereignty act” to quash federal gay marriage or abortion laws or things like that. It’s an unending fight for some people.
Yeah, but they can't only be supported by the least intelligent quarter of Albertans, can they? Like, the UCP supporters I know in real life are honestly the dumbest of anyone in my extended circle, but when you hear, say, Republicans talking about libtards or whatever, you know they think we're all super dumb.

So are UCP supporters actually just dumb people, or can we hear from a smart one?

I tuned into QR77 today because it has been bothering me how I keep failing to come up with anything I can find redeemable in Smith or her supporters. I was listening to a call-in show and all the callers were so unbelievably stupid and ill informed. It's actually weird. They're living in an alternate reality.

I want to make sure I'm not turning into a mindless partisan, but how can it be I not only disagree with everything the UCP is doing, but that I also think everyone of them is a dope of the highest order. I honestly don't believe that can be true. There have to be some smart people who can frame things differently to give us some insight on their thought process and vision for the future.

It's like everything they say is the opposite of what they do. And then everything they do will yeild the exact opposite of what they think it will do. That's fataed up.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:12 PM   #4617
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
No, probably not. And not just because she honestly can’t be defended because her views are well..insane, but because we can’t have any discussion between political differences. It was nice having different opinions on politics, but we have chased away posters like Cliff. So now we are left with mostly left wing posters going on and on about the same old. Fun right?
I think you are confusing things. Not everyone here is left wing, we are all just in agreement that she sucks. And some of us are trying to figure out if we missed something.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:14 PM   #4618
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Cliff wasn’t a UCP supporter though.
He gave a different perspective than the typical CP hive mentality imo.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:17 PM   #4619
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
He gave a different perspective than the typical CP hive mentality imo.
meh. I don’t buy the hive mentality theory. Also it seemed like cliff increasingly lost the plot as the years went on. Having contrarians around isn’t always good for quality discourse.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 12-01-2022 at 09:20 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:17 PM   #4620
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Yeah, but they can't only be supported by the least intelligent quarter of Albertans, can they? Like, the UCP supporters I know in real life are honestly the dumbest of anyone in my extended circle, but when you hear, say, Republicans talking about libtards or whatever, you know they think we're all super dumb.

So are UCP supporters actually just dumb people, or can we hear from a smart one?

I tuned into QR77 today because it has been bothering me how I keep failing to come up with anything I can find redeemable in Smith or her supporters. I was listening to a call-in show and all the callers were so unbelievably stupid and ill informed. It's actually weird. They're living in an alternate reality.

I want to make sure I'm not turning into a mindless partisan, but how can it be I not only disagree with everything the UCP is doing, but that I also think everyone of them is a dope of the highest order. I honestly don't believe that can be true. There have to be some smart people who can frame things differently to give us some insight on their thought process and vision for the future.

It's like everything they say is the opposite of what they do. And then everything they do will yeild the exact opposite of what they think it will do. That's fataed up.
Well, assuming the election is in May, a lot can change in 6 months. But I think a lot of center-right voters stay home. They’re not happy with Smith and her direction, but not voting NDP either.

If I was Smith, I’d cool it on the stupidity and just run on the economy. They’re going to put up what…$10b as a surplus? There’s no way a PST is in the cards and things are economically great. You run on that and then do your crackpot things after that. But…I’m not voting for them anyway and I’m not their target audience.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post: