Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2022, 02:08 AM   #221
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just took a test, and I got the Covid. First time for me that I am aware of. I went from no symptoms, to full on pretty heavy symptoms. Like one minute I was fine, and the next I am shivering with a headache and scratchy through.

I am double vaxed, so hopefully that helps.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 11-22-2022 at 02:10 AM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 02:12 AM   #222
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
This one kicked your ass, eh.

Do you know if it was covid, the flu, or just a mystery sickness?

I wouldn't expect to be back to normal for a bit yet. Usually takes as long to get better as it did to go down. Hopefully you're going to get well soon...sounds rotten.
The wife and I were chatting and basically since we got Covid already, we made sure to get the flu vaccine because we heard predictions that this years flu is nasty AF. I was expecting stomach bug type of ####ers. I was literally surprised to hear one of the concerns was for a SARS type and that was part of what was in the vaccine.

RSV, Covid, Flu/cold trifecta is kinda ####ed up already. But a SARS type flu + a stomach bug type flu? And that's not talking about Conjunctivitis, Fifth's disease and hand foot and mouth that's quietly making its rounds as well? It's kinda ####ed up when you realize that Covid is potentially one of the least ####ed up one you could end up with and one of the ones you can do the most to prevent it.

RSV no vaccine, Flu/cold is respiratory or stomach bug but has vaccine.

Yeesh.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 02:17 AM   #223
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I just took a test, and I got the Covid. First time for me that I am aware of. I went from no symptoms, to full on pretty heavy symptoms. Like one minute I was fine, and the next I am shivering with a headache and scratchy through.

Oof. Hope you feel better soon. Covid sucks.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 07:04 AM   #224
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Over the weekend I've gotten sick. Second time in a month. god dammit.
sucks after going so long without getting sick.

I'm still a mask wearer, too.
I have to wear them at work, and I always wear them on transit. I also wear them about half the time when I go out, too.

This one is fever, chills, deep phlemy cough. last one was more of a traditional head cold.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 07:44 AM   #225
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
How much did you get? I agree it sounds kinda reasonable. 100 mL of children's pain killer will run you around $11-14 for Tylenol, Motrin or Advil if you can find it in the city.

A pharmacist compound is basically a manually produced small custom batch of the stuff by a pharmacist, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit more than double the price of the stuff that came off an automated conveyor belt.
I only got 30mL so $1/mL . I have no problem paying for it and I'm pretty sure my drug plan will cover it anyway, just surprised at the cost but I guess it is what it is.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 07:48 AM   #226
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dispensing fees for compounding are ~$18, so that's a big chunk of it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 08:53 AM   #227
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

I also am going through my first bout of COVID. I tested positive on Thursday, and had slight chills and headache through the weekend that were largely controlled by Tylenol (ended up switching to Advil which worked better). I started feeling better yesterday, am no longer taking Advil, and my only symptom currently is slight congestion plus about 75% loss of taste and smell. I had the Moderna Bivalent 2 months ago, so disappointment there I guess.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:58 AM   #228
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got myself and the two jam eaters our flu shots and covid boosters last night.

Shoulder is a bit sore, but other than that no other real symptoms.

Seems like this is certainly one of those years where it's better safe then sorry.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 09:08 AM   #229
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Daycare sent us an official letter from AHS confirming respiratory outbreak status at their facility. Sigh..

My kid hasn't been there in nearly a month. I know it's not their fault, but the mortgage payment I'm sending them every month sure chaffs me when my kid is home all day.
The Fisher Account is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 09:11 AM   #230
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If daycares could only charge on days when you're kids were there and your fees were rebated when they were sick, I wonder if we'd see less illness at daycares.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 09:23 AM   #231
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

We have a 16 months old in daycare and we made it 1 month into daycare healthy which has been followed by 3+ months of sick child followed by me or my wife being sick. Recover from one and onto the next one.

Kid has has at least 3 separate cold/flues, HFM (hand/foot/mouth) and Covid. I've gotten all but HFM. Wife has gotten all but 1 flu and Covid (at least no symptoms).

Its ####ed up. I've been laid out the last 3 days the sickest I've ever been in my life and this is a week after recovering from covid (which luckily was mild).

We kept our kid home with HFM for nearly 2 weeks and Covid for a week. Other illness she's home for multiple days. She has had a cough for the last 3 months to which the doctor says is to be expected. WTF?

So if our kid isn't laid out sick or have a fever she goes to daycare. Doesn't help when both our employers 'want everyone in the office working' so working from home isn't really possible. Also doesn't help that you pay whether she goes to daycare or not and that we need to work to pay for said daycare.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 09:35 AM   #232
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
This one kicked your ass, eh.

Do you know if it was covid, the flu, or just a mystery sickness?

I wouldn't expect to be back to normal for a bit yet. Usually takes as long to get better as it did to go down. Hopefully you're going to get well soon...sounds rotten.
We don't think it was Covid, as the three of us have tested a few times over the last few weeks and none of the tests have come up positive. My sister & her family recently had been positive for Influenza A and they were in hospital for 4 days with their 1 month old, but we hadn't seen them. From the description of the symptoms and how hard it it, our guess is we had Influenza A as well, but we don't know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
We have a 16 months old in daycare and we made it 1 month into daycare healthy which has been followed by 3+ months of sick child followed by me or my wife being sick. Recover from one and onto the next one.

Kid has has at least 3 separate cold/flues, HFM (hand/foot/mouth) and Covid. I've gotten all but HFM. Wife has gotten all but 1 flu and Covid (at least no symptoms).

Its ####ed up. I've been laid out the last 3 days the sickest I've ever been in my life and this is a week after recovering from covid (which luckily was mild).

We kept our kid home with HFM for nearly 2 weeks and Covid for a week. Other illness she's home for multiple days. She has had a cough for the last 3 months to which the doctor says is to be expected. WTF?

So if our kid isn't laid out sick or have a fever she goes to daycare. Doesn't help when both our employers 'want everyone in the office working' so working from home isn't really possible. Also doesn't help that you pay whether she goes to daycare or not and that we need to work to pay for said daycare.
I could have written this post, except we haven't got Covid or HFM from daycare yet. Our 19 month old started daycare in September and has been sick and passed her sickness along to us at least 3 times. Some of the sicknesses just roll into the next one, it's brutal.

Last week it was pink eye and possibly the flu, this week, who knows? It sucks because we just know that if we send her for a few days, we'll all be getting sick in no time.

I'm not working, thankfully, but I am doing my master's and having her home with me during the day just doesn't lend itself to getting any work done. I've got a pretty light course load and am falling behind anyway. Plus, the nights are brutal because she's up crying sick or not sleeping well. She was up from 10 to 1:30 last night screaming at the top of her lungs, couldn't figure out what was wrong. Almost no doubt that she's coming down with something else. Fun.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 09:53 AM   #233
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
Got myself and the two jam eaters our flu shots and covid boosters last night.

Shoulder is a bit sore, but other than that no other real symptoms.

Seems like this is certainly one of those years where it's better safe then sorry.
may not help. I am up to date with covid boosters and had my flu shot and I still have been sick twice since the flu shot.

Although I've been under more stress in the last 6-8 months than anytime in my life, so maybe that's hurt my ability to fight off illness.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 10:06 AM   #234
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Our 1.5 year old seems sick constantly. There's also a massive shortage of baby Tylenol in Vancouver, which isn't helping things. She's getting all sorts of inflammation, which is now starting to lead to secondary issues like ear infections. It feels like she's been congested for the last 4 months straight with a series of colds/flu.

She's had Covid twice and also had her first Covid vaccine, so hopefully we're done with that for a while.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 10:16 AM   #235
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
may not help. I am up to date with covid boosters and had my flu shot and I still have been sick twice since the flu shot.

Although I've been under more stress in the last 6-8 months than anytime in my life, so maybe that's hurt my ability to fight off illness.
Might not, but I'm all for improving my chances.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 10:55 AM   #236
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
If you aren't getting a script to get a batch mixed up or asking someone to buy a large batch from another country without a shortage like the US... I think you're basically shooting in the dark for the next little bit.
I would point out that I think this point fits a political narrative that benefits an opposition party or parties, but might not really be all that truthful (I'm not one to defend the federal government on red tape issues, but I'm more interested in facts than narrative).

In my recent experience visiting Palm Springs, CA in early to mid November we tried many pharmacies looking for children's Ibuprofen and Tylenol. We were successful in procuring the last bottle of such in one of the pharmacies, but otherwise every last place we checked in Palm Springs and Oceanside CA was cleaned out much like the situation here in Calgary. While that's only a couple places in one region in the US, I have my doubts about describing the situation in the US as 'without shortage.'

I could be traveling this week to Michigan & Ohio and will check there and report back.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 11:10 AM   #237
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
If daycares could only charge on days when you're kids were there and your fees were rebated when they were sick, I wonder if we'd see less illness at daycares.
Sure, but then you'd either see less daycares or massively higher daily fees
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 11:40 AM   #238
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Got over a 2 week long infection like 3 days ago finally, but now I'm sick again with the cold.

This had been the worst.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 12:52 PM   #239
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I could have written this post, except we haven't got Covid or HFM from daycare yet. Our 19 month old started daycare in September and has been sick and passed her sickness along to us at least 3 times. Some of the sicknesses just roll into the next one, it's brutal.

Last week it was pink eye and possibly the flu, this week, who knows? It sucks because we just know that if we send her for a few days, we'll all be getting sick in no time.

I'm not working, thankfully, but I am doing my master's and having her home with me during the day just doesn't lend itself to getting any work done. I've got a pretty light course load and am falling behind anyway. Plus, the nights are brutal because she's up crying sick or not sleeping well. She was up from 10 to 1:30 last night screaming at the top of her lungs, couldn't figure out what was wrong. Almost no doubt that she's coming down with something else. Fun.
This probably isn't helpful, but the constant sicknesses in the first while of daycare was a pretty normal occurrence before this tsunami of germs as well. Anecdotally, it seems either kids get constantly sick in those first few months of daycare, or if they're kept home in the younger years, get it when they start school. Personally, I think parental leave should cover the transition period as well to deal with the sicknesses, figuring our your new logistics, things like that.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 01:10 PM   #240
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll bump this again in case anyone is desperate and still looking:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
If anyone is looking, they have a good amount of stock of childrens Motrin (ibuprofen) at the pharmacy in the third floor of Gulf Canada Square. Not cheap though, it’s ringing up at $15.53 a bottle.

They also have infants Tylenol (1-24 months); not sure about price but I’m guessing something similar.

Limit 2 per customer.
I should add, I have no affiliation with this place; I was there for a flu shot and noticed they had a few cases in stock. The location is somewhat obscure so they probably don't get a lot of foot traffic; I did walk past on my lunch break today and they still had infant's tylenol and children's motrin available.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post: