Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2022, 11:16 AM   #6661
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not just this speech. Every speech I've seen of hers, which admittedly isn't that many, she seems to be making points to speak to what would be both ends of the spectrum here. Another one I saw had her speaking to worker rights and worker solidarity at the same time as talking about traditional family roles. I don't know much about the landscape of Italian political values and culture, but by North American standards the points she seems to simultaneously try to make are aimed at values issues that are important to different ends of the spectrum without necessarily being in direct conflict. I'm curious how that fits into Italian politics and why it appears to be effective there.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:21 AM   #6662
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
It's not just this speech. Every speech I've seen of hers, which admittedly isn't that many, she seems to be making points to speak to what would be both ends of the spectrum here. Another one I saw had her speaking to worker rights and worker solidarity at the same time as talking about traditional family roles. I don't know much about the landscape of Italian political values and culture, but by North American standards the points she seems to simultaneously try to make are aimed at values issues that are important to different ends of the spectrum without necessarily being in direct conflict. I'm curious how that fits into Italian politics and why it appears to be effective there.
Not sure how you see that as different ends of the spectrum. She's far right-wing. Workers rights, worker solidarity, have become right-wing talking points, like the rustbelt in the US which the left ignores. The left-right divide is really now a urban-rural divide.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:25 AM   #6663
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Not sure how you see that as different ends of the spectrum. She's far right-wing. Workers rights, worker solidarity, have become right-wing talking points, like the rustbelt in the US which the left ignores.
In the US it would be framed as an issue with the government and policy, but not in an anti-corporate way. She presented it in a way that seemed to be anti-corporate and could even be interpreted as anti-captitalist. There's not a lot of anti-corporate/anti-capitalist sentiment in political speech on the right in the US.

Old 09-28-2022, 11:34 AM   #6664
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
In the US it would be framed as an issue with the government and policy, but not in an anti-corporate way. She presented it in a way that seemed to be anti-corporate and could even be interpreted as anti-captitalist. There's not a lot of anti-corporate/anti-capitalist sentiment in political speech on the right in the US.
True. I would imagine Italy as a whole is further left than Canada. So you can be right-wing but only from within the government bubble.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 11:50 AM   #6665
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
True. I would imagine Italy as a whole is further left than Canada. So you can be right-wing but only from within the government bubble.

Except that Europe is far more ethno-centric than Canada. That's the "far right" part.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:48 PM   #6666
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

What? Italy is not left of Canada on the whole. It's not really directly comparable for the record, but theres a huge social conservative undertone.

I lived in Italy for a year. It was a very interesting experience. I love Italy for visiting but will never live there again and I would be hard pressed to say that I love "Italians". Individuals, sure. But culturally... not so easy.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:53 PM   #6667
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Not American politics, but new Italian PM went off on Macron recently

https://twitter.com/user/status/1575137671453630466
Don't agree with her party on many points but she's absolutely right about France causing huge social/ societal issues in Africa and that contributing to the refugee problems.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:16 PM   #6668
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The capture of the working class by the nativist right has realigned politics. And not just in Italy. There’s a political constituency in many Western countries today coalescing around anti-capitalism, anti-immigration, and social conservatism. These people don’t want to dismantle the welfare state, they want to put up a wall around it to protect the native-born from the threats (in their eyes) of immigration, liberalization, and globalization.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2022, 02:49 PM   #6669
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 09-28-2022, 02:52 PM   #6670
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would bet my house she did not hit that hog from a moving chopper from 300+ meters.

What a bitch.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:52 PM   #6671
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The capture of the working class by the nativist right has realigned politics. And not just in Italy. There’s a political constituency in many Western countries today coalescing around anti-capitalism, anti-immigration, and social conservatism. These people don’t want to dismantle the welfare state, they want to put up a wall around it to protect the native-born from the threats (in their eyes) of immigration, liberalization, and globalization.
This is apt. I think the further problem we are seeing in politics is that this new group is opposed to social liberals and to straight capitalists, and take advantage of the fact that those two groups have trouble finding any common ground. The only thing both of these groups agree on is the troglodyte nature of the newer coalition.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:29 PM   #6672
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I would bet my house she did not hit that hog from a moving chopper from 300+ meters.

What a bitch.
waste of good meat as well, the adrenaline created by chasing it with a chopper would make it good awful
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:51 AM   #6673
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
waste of good meat as well, the adrenaline created by chasing it with a chopper would make it good awful
Honestly, this is probably the only time I'll say "big nothingburger" in regards to MTG. Hogs are an invasive species and becoming a massive problem all over North America and Europe. Obviously what she's doing is ridiculous and really does nothing to cull them, but I don't particularly have an issue with it.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 09:53 AM   #6674
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another nothingburger but still...facepalm.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1575136322389409792
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 09:57 AM   #6675
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe you're all here making hog jokes while the earth-shattering effects of FluteGate are sending us completely normal people reeling. Though, this may apply more to the IDW thread, but it *is* a President's Flute.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1575383178604421120

(Lizzo is a classically trained flautist)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 09-29-2022 at 10:04 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:06 AM   #6676
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I can't believe you're all here making hog jokes while the earth-shattering effects of FluteGate are sending us completely normal people reeling. Though, this may apply more to the IDW thread, but it *is* a President's Flute.

Sure looks like it. Flouting 200 years of history and tradition like that!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2022, 10:08 AM   #6677
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Don't agree with her party on many points but she's absolutely right about France causing huge social/ societal issues in Africa and that contributing to the refugee problems.

The multi-generation theft of Africa by European bankers (particularly France) might be the greatest financial crime ever. I've seen one calculation that stated that Africa has repaid it's debts 7 times over, but because of how these deals are structured, they remain as tremendous financial burdens that will never be paid paid off.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 10:47 AM   #6678
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

https://twitter.com/user/status/1575383178604421120

Her tweet should read "Nobody has ever heard of this crystal flute before."

Old 09-29-2022, 12:09 PM   #6679
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Honestly, this is probably the only time I'll say "big nothingburger" in regards to MTG. Hogs are an invasive species and becoming a massive problem all over North America and Europe. Obviously what she's doing is ridiculous and really does nothing to cull them, but I don't particularly have an issue with it.
Other than everything she touches is slimy.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:41 PM   #6680
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some charges finally laid in an election fraud conspiracy.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/mic...nt-2022-09-29/

And of course, the guy is a registered Republican.

https://www.michiganradio.org/politi...sing-poll-book
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: