Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who should be Captain?
Backlund 240 50.31%
Huberdeau 59 12.37%
Tanev 74 15.51%
Lindholm 42 8.81%
Monahan 8 1.68%
Rasmus 6 1.26%
Somebody else 11 2.31%
Nobody 37 7.76%
Voters: 477. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2022, 05:20 PM   #81
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund, he's one of my fav Flames and set to take on the C. Tanev, Huberdeau, and Monahan can wear the A
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:22 PM   #82
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
It's Huberdeau. I dont know how it can be justified any other way.

This would be my vote as well....
flambers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:24 PM   #83
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the "A" on Backlund, Tanev and Lindholm
Old 08-05-2022, 05:25 PM   #84
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

It will be Huby or Tanev

Those are the only two options for a captain in my opinion. Backs/Lindy are A material but you wouldn’t want them to be the captain.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:26 PM   #85
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It will be Huberdeau, he checks all boxes and on the business/marketing side it makes total sense.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:33 PM   #86
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is tough for us to figure out who should be the captain. Tough to gauge who says what in the room, and who listens to whom. I guess without knowing 'the room', we of course can only talk from a fan's perspective. These are my leading candidates from what I have seen from them.

• Lucic - Probably the best current Flame when it comes to media. Stanley Cup winner (always a bonus). Supposedly very vocal in the room, and well-liked and respected. However, the Flames would be cornering themselves into having to keep him, and I am sure he would be one of the first 'cap casualties' if the Flames decide to sign additional players from the UFA heap, or trades that bring in cap. Outside of the contract situation, he would be my first choice. With the contract situation, I guess he shouldn't be getting any consideration.
  • Tanev - Everybody respects him, and he plays the game the right way. He is professional and him being 'dad' is well-known. I don't think this would be taken as a poor choice at all.
  • Backlund - longest tenured Flame to date, and has never complained or pouted. Gets the tough assignments, and makes life easier for the other lines. Works hard, and seems to be a very mature and sensible choice. Who would argue with choosing him? There is not argument against him AFAIK - I can't think of any reason. He would probably make a great captain.
  • Huberdeau - he has one more year remaining on his deal, and just signed an 8 year extension, so barring unforeseen circumstances, he is going to be here for the next 9 seasons. Will instantly be the most dynamic player, and wore an A in Florida too. This seems like a no-brainer. Do you give it to the new guy in his first season, however? In these 9 years he will be on the Flames, he most certainly will creep into many Flames franchise top ten lists - maybe games played if he stays healthy enough, maybe assists and points - who knows.
  • Lindholm is another guy that probably deserves recognition. Accepts all roles and assignments without pouting. Plays hard and seems well-spoken too in his media availabilities. He seems like captain material to me.
If I am the Flames, I would give it to Backlund, and then in a few seasons, it becomes Huberdeau. I personally just find it a bit weird that the new guy - without the benefit of having existing relationships with the majority of players in Calgary - suddenly becomes the captain. That would be my only concern there. One of the captain's roles is to act as the intermediary between the coach and a player, and a captain has to have a good relationship with both to be more effective. Huberdeau certainly seems like captain material to me - I am sure he would make an excellent captain. I just think that maybe he needs a season or two to build up those relationships first.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Flames go another year without naming someone still and see how it all shakes out, and have the players make the choice in time. Mangiapane I think deserves some consideration, but with stronger veteran personalities like Lucic and Tanev available, maybe he just needs to mature.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:37 PM   #87
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Tkachuk would have resigned, I personally believe he likely would have obtained the C

With so much contract uncertainty last season, Flames had to wait.

With Lucic he has at most 1 season remaining until retirement

With Backlund, he has two years and is likely gone

Huberdeau makes the most sense.... will be around for many years
Old 08-05-2022, 05:40 PM   #88
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
So they are going to give it to a guy who has been part of the leadership group for quite a while now and the team has been successful how in that time? He is also a player who struggles to start and didn't really show up until the start of the playoffs last year. That would be such a historic Flames thing to give the C to Backlund. The more I think about it the more I think it should be Huberdeau. The guy is so passionate about winning and being a leader and its a fresh new voice leading the way. That is what this group could use.
I am not arguing with you. I would not choose Backlund either. Just think the team might.

Tanev would be a good choice. Good player good vet that has played a few years here. It is hard not to like Tanev as a captain of the team.

Huberdeau signing for 8 years, that is commitment. I do think he will be captain of the team. Maybe not this year or the next but he will be.
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:13 PM   #89
minnow
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Backlund, trusted and true.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:18 PM   #90
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me, the three top choices are Backlund, Lindholm, and Tanev.

Backlund has the longevity and obviously cares a lot about this team and the city. He understands what it takes to play different roles, stands up for his team, and seems pretty vocal.

Lindholm, very similar to Backlund but doesn't have the same longevity, but he has been there long enough. I give him an edge as he is on the ice more and I think it is beneficial to have your captain on the ice a lot.

Tanev, definitely leads by example. Doesn't seem and vocal, but he probably could be if he was the captain. Also gets a lot of ice time.
Old 08-05-2022, 06:20 PM   #91
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

It should have been Monahan. Alas his career didn’t pan out like I thought it would.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:46 PM   #92
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monny sold his soul to keep going and broke down. I'm not without hope though. I want his Renaissance to happen in CGY.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:43 PM   #93
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'd give it to Lindholm if he extends next year. For this year I'd go with Lindholm, Huberdeau, Andersson, Tanev, Backlund and Monahan as rotating alternates road and away. I'd love to give it (C) to Backlund or Tanev for many reasons but I think Lindholm is perfect assuming he stays. People are too quick to judge the vets of the previous leadership core that we retained. Losing Tkachuk and Gio in the span of a year changed the entire dynamic and we are going to see a completely new structure emerge. I really think Rasmus needs a letter, he's a beauty, could easily see Backlund tenure in him. Huberdeau is going to be recognized, only so many letters to go around but IMO Lindholm is almost the perfect hockey player in many ways, in his prime, our 1C, selke threat, play driver and makes captain America look ugly lol. Only problem is the contract. I think 35-45g and 40-50a is probable going into a contract year with Huberdeau, if we get him locked up 8x9.5m or so, I think the choice is clear
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:10 PM   #94
PuckSlap
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post

I think of this every time
PuckSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:43 PM   #95
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What? That's Backlund? When was he playing saxophone at Nikki Beach?
Old 08-05-2022, 10:50 PM   #96
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I feel like your captain should be the player that's going to be on the ice the most, as well is the player you rely on to make the biggest plays during the key moments of the game/season.

He may be the longest serving player, but Backlund most certainly should not be the forward with the most ice time on a game to game basis. If anything, he should be getting 3rd line and special team minutes.
The Flames won the Stanley Cup with a 3rd-liner and a 4th-liner as co-captains. Captain ≠ top player.
Old 08-06-2022, 12:18 AM   #97
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund's new goal song has to be Careless Whisper. Get 'er done, Tre!

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2022, 12:42 AM   #98
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
The Flames won the Stanley Cup with a 3rd-liner and a 4th-liner as co-captains. Captain ≠ top player.
How many future captains on that roster though? Or guys who just got A's. That team had it all, Jesus, and this is the timeline we ended up with lol. There's a universe where the flames won 2 or 3 more before the lockout. People mock Toronto for 5 straight first round losses, those 90s flames teams lost 6 first round series in 7 years. The other year we missed completely somehow. Those teams had more talent than Toronto does now, relative to their era and peers imo. You could replay those 7 years 100 times and we ended up up with the worst outcome probably. Probably 99 times we win at least one series lol
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2022, 01:13 PM   #99
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
The best thing about this picture is that Backlund is playing the saxophone, and seemingly no one in ear-shot has noticed.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 08-06-2022 at 01:15 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:20 PM   #100
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
...With Backlund, he has two years and is likely gone

Huberdeau makes the most sense.... will be around for many years
I think NHL captaincies are nothing more than meaningless honorific-titles which make no perceptible impact on how the game is played, nor the results.

Having said that, I think we are more likely in a situation similar to when Conroy was appointed Flames captain. Personally, I think it will be Backlund, but will likely slide over to Huberdeau after a couple of years. But I also don't think Backlund will be moving on after his contract is done. If there was ever a life-long Flames player, it's him. I think he retires in Calgary after spending his whole career there.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote