Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2022, 06:34 AM   #1921
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Can we take this a level up, and admit that pet ownership is kind of ####ed up? We breed these things, so that we can chop off their sex organs and keep them against their will, parade them around with a rope on their neck telling them where to go, and then throw them in a cage for a couple weeks so we can go on vacation.

Oh, then we kill a while bunch of other animals to feed these ones. What an inhumane environmental disaster the whole thing is.

I grew up with pets and love animals. I'll keep adopting pets to try and spare some from getting warehoused in cages then murdered because they peed too much or weren't cute enough. I just wish pets didn't exist to adopt.
We are long past that point of return. They are domesticated animals and the reality is that the majority of them live a very good life as you only hear about the bad stories on the news while millions of pets are very well taken care of. This is a spec of dust on the radar of inhumane things our race does to animals.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 07:12 AM   #1922
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Can we take this a level up, and admit that pet ownership is kind of ####ed up? We breed these things, so that we can chop off their sex organs and keep them against their will, parade them around with a rope on their neck telling them where to go, and then throw them in a cage for a couple weeks so we can go on vacation.

Oh, then we kill a while bunch of other animals to feed these ones. What an inhumane environmental disaster the whole thing is.

I grew up with pets and love animals. I'll keep adopting pets to try and spare some from getting warehoused in cages then murdered because they peed too much or weren't cute enough. I just wish pets didn't exist to adopt.
Your position is that on aggregate pets would have a better existence by not existing?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:08 AM   #1923
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Your position is that on aggregate pets would have a better existence by not existing?
That’s a pretty philosophical question, but without going into that you have to admit pet ownership is kind of insane.

Like there are probably a handful of culturally accepted practices in western culture that, if viewed objectively against other cultural practices or moral stance, seem totally insane and out of sync, and pet ownership is one of them.

People go around picking up their dog’s poop with their hands and are fine with thousands of nameless animals getting slaughtered/put down for our pleasure but find any suggestion that we humanely destroy a bunch of dogs off putting.

Kind of fascinating anyway.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 08:27 AM   #1924
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty much. People trap and kill rodents like mice and voles, or run over a bunny or a gopher without batting an eye, but if it's a dog or cat that's being euthanized, all of a sudden they're up in arms. So basically they've put certain types of animals above another based on personal preference.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:35 AM   #1925
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Pretty much. People trap and kill rodents like mice and voles, or run over a bunny or a gopher without batting an eye, but if it's a dog or cat that's being euthanized, all of a sudden they're up in arms. So basically they've put certain types of animals above another based on personal preference.
…. Yeah. Is that a shocking revelation?

“Ever swatted a fly!?”
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:03 AM   #1926
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
That’s a pretty philosophical question, but without going into that you have to admit pet ownership is kind of insane.

Like there are probably a handful of culturally accepted practices in western culture that, if viewed objectively against other cultural practices or moral stance, seem totally insane and out of sync, and pet ownership is one of them.

People go around picking up their dog’s poop with their hands and are fine with thousands of nameless animals getting slaughtered/put down for our pleasure but find any suggestion that we humanely destroy a bunch of dogs off putting.

Kind of fascinating anyway.
It is fascinating for sure. Dogs and man are deeply intertwined going back thousands of years. They are man's greatest companions and there is a special bond that we share with them. The pet supply industry is a billion dollar industry for a reason and that's because we love them and they are our best companions.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 09:24 AM   #1927
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Maybe i'm not in the norm but i have never intentionally ran over a rabbit or a squirrel before. Don't most people slow down?

I mean who wants bunny guts on their tires.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:28 AM   #1928
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s a fun exercise to speculate about what behaviours we find normal today will be regarded with distaste by future generations. I think there’s a high probability pet ownership will be on that list. And I say that as dog owner.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:31 AM   #1929
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Maybe i'm not in the norm but i have never intentionally ran over a rabbit or a squirrel before. Don't most people slow down?

He didn't say people intentionally do that. Just if they do they don't lose any sleep over it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #1930
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
It’s a fun exercise to speculate about what behaviours we find normal today will be regarded with distaste by future generations. I think there’s a high probability pet ownership will be on that list. And I say that as dog owner.
I'm not a dog owner, but even I know that dogs and their masters share a special bond. Why would that be looked upon with distaste by future generations? As long as the owner looks after the dog, which most do, it's a beneficial relationship to both sides.

Perhaps future generations will shake their heads that we still allow certain breeds to be bred and sold, but the present generation already feels like that.

I think humans will forever keep dogs for companionship, as will working dogs (police/military, hunting, disability assistance, etc).
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 09:57 AM   #1931
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post

I meant if people saw roadkill, they don't really bat an eye over it. I always try to avoid running over anything, be it a bird, a bunny, or any other rodent, making sure to safely do so of course.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:07 AM   #1932
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's hard to say. Pets can be therapeutic and a lot of single people depend on them for companionship. IMO the pros will always outweigh the cons.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:17 AM   #1933
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's hard to say. Pets can be therapeutic and a lot of single people depend on them for companionship. IMO the pros will always outweigh the cons.
They can get a Boston Dynamics dog.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:17 AM   #1934
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First we would have to go no eating meat. That requires a seemless substitute and meat prices increasing significantly so it becomes an activity of the wealthy.

But why would pet ownership become verboten?

The argument needs to be the being would have been better off not existing. So if you make that argument for pets the exact same arguments apply to children.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 10:42 AM   #1935
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
First we would have to go no eating meat. That requires a seemless substitute and meat prices increasing significantly so it becomes an activity of the wealthy.

But why would pet ownership become verboten?

The argument needs to be the being would have been better off not existing. So if you make that argument for pets the exact same arguments apply to children.
I think breeding children for the sole purpose of owning them while keeping them in cages once in a while and making them sleep outside is already frowned upon, but I might be wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 10:45 AM   #1936
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I'm not a dog owner, but even I know that dogs and their masters share a special bond. Why would that be looked upon with distaste by future generations? As long as the owner looks after the dog, which most do, it's a beneficial relationship to both sides.

Perhaps future generations will shake their heads that we still allow certain breeds to be bred and sold, but the present generation already feels like that.

I think humans will forever keep dogs for companionship, as will working dogs (police/military, hunting, disability assistance, etc).
We domesticated them for a reason. Its kind of hard to turn back the clock on thousands of years of that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 11:27 AM   #1937
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think breeding children for the sole purpose of owning them while keeping them in cages once in a while and making them sleep outside is already frowned upon, but I might be wrong.

Parents instagrams suggest that ownership is the purpose of parenting.

The reason people have kids is purely selfish fulfillment of their desires. Children didn’t ask to exist. Their actions are entirely controlled by parents. We strap them into cages whenever we drive, drop them off at kennels whenever they are inconvenient and then when these people are too old we lock them in a home and wait for them to die.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 11:31 AM   #1938
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It depends if the Flames game is on or not.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OptimalTates For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 11:46 AM   #1939
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Parents instagrams suggest that ownership is the purpose of parenting.

The reason people have kids is purely selfish fulfillment of their desires. Children didn’t ask to exist. Their actions are entirely controlled by parents. We strap them into cages whenever we drive, drop them off at kennels whenever they are inconvenient and then when these people are too old we lock them in a home and wait for them to die.
Social services is on their way, GGG.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2022, 11:47 AM   #1940
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I think we all convince ourselves that pet ownership is 2 way, but basically every cat I've owned seemed like it would be happier pissing off into the forest until it got hungry again.

I'm not saying I don't understand pet ownership by any means, as I'm an active participant in it. But taking a step back, it's really weird. Like a bunch of aliens swoop down and throw us in zoos. Sure we're well cared for, and they genuinely may care about us, and eventually we'll get all interbred and ####ed up. Does that mean that you should keep breeding the things just because "that bridge was crossed"?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog attack puppy barking