Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2022, 08:23 PM   #1261
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looking at the campus from Google maps it does look like it's a series of buildings so maybe that's why.

Don't think you can prepare much for a shooter looking to do damage (though this one does seem to be less competent than others) as they'll just pick a time at recess, lunch, before or after school, during a school football game, etc. etc. when they don't even need to get into the building to cause carnage. But does seem to be some safety issues at play here.

Evolving timeline, conflicting information, but sounds like he got in a firefight outside the school with the resources officer before making his way into the school which wasn't announced to be locked down for ten minutes after that even. This in turn was a half hour after he posted/messaged he was going to shoot up a school on Facebook.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:29 PM   #1262
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
LOCKED CLASSROOM DOOR POLICY – Teachers are instructed to keep their classroom
doors closed and locked at all times. Barriers are not to be used. Substitutes shall follow the
same policy, with campuses ensuring they have access to the classrooms they need
throughout the day. The Standard Response Protocol procedures are on the back of all of
our badges issued to substitute teachers.
This is their policy. Could have been followed and the shooter (who was in the school for nearly an hour) broke in somehow. Will be unfortunate if the policy wasn't followed and partial blames gets casted on the teachers.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:49 PM   #1263
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Doesn't answer a lot about what happened but it sounds like maybe somebody ####ed up.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2022/0...apper-live.cnn
There's something I find really unsettling about the way the governor talks about everything in that video. It feels almost like he is more excited to have the spotlight than he is affected by the events. He's probably just in some shock about it himself, but the way he speaks feels so detached, almost like he's just retelling an exciting sequence of something he saw on TV or in a movie.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:01 PM   #1264
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
This is their policy. Could have been followed and the shooter (who was in the school for nearly an hour) broke in somehow. Will be unfortunate if the policy wasn't followed and partial blames gets casted on the teachers.
Just to have/need a policy like that is crazy and ridiculous. All locked doors is antithetical to the type of environment kids should have in a primary school.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 09:05 PM   #1265
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

I think when we talk about "why does this keep happening in the US" and we talk about mental health and we talk about social media and we talk about bullying we really bury the lede.

This is what conservative politics has done to this country.

Conservatives are telling people to be scared. Conservatives are telling people to be angry. Conservatives are telling people to be willing to fight for their rights, for what they believe in.

Those same conservatives then post pictures and videos of them with their firearms. Their kids with the firearms they bought them. They make Christmas cards with the entire family packing heat.

This is not just opinion for these people. This isn't even just protecting a right.

This is religion. These people hold the 2nd Amendment in the same regard as they claim to hold the Bible. This is a weird religious cult that worships ammunition and firepower and they're constantly trying to recruit new members.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 09:07 PM   #1266
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
While I disagree with the overall premise of needing armed police presence at school, and I think Cruz misspoke (or is an idiot) about having one door, I do agree with him about having the backdoors locked.

This is something that even 1990 Canadian schools were doing. All doors locked from the outside except the main entrance which (usually) passes by the administrative desk. At the end of recess/lunch, some snot-nose goodie two-shoes holds it open until everyone is in. Stragglers had to go to the front and got scolded. I have to imagine that school security has only got more strict and I wouldn't be surprised to find out someone went against protocol to have that backdoor accessible by the shooter as is currently being reported.
I graduated in 2006 and I remember our school doors being locked all the time during school hours. After a major renovation, each entrance that was used was converted to a double entrance with both sets of doors locked, and all the single doors were converted into heavy duty steel doors with pry protection.

And this was in little ol' Pincher Creek.

This all goes without saying, but shouldn't actually be seen as the primary solution here.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:47 PM   #1267
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I’m a bit surprised there hasn’t been violence perpetrated on some of the politicians and NRA members holding crucial bills and laws up from passing and saving hundreds of future lives, and childrens lives.

If I lost my kid due to one of these rampages, geez. Some pretty crazy thoughts would be running through my head. If they won’t listen to plain reason, and if they refuse to govern themselves with any kind of compassion, well, they might just find themselves on the wrong side of an attack one day by a crazy person justifying it under the guise of protecting future innocents.

This has passed the point of stupidity several years ago now. Mitt Romney just tweeted out some shallow BS, but then it’s revealed he- by far- is the largest receiver or NRA funding?? Yikes.

Politicians and the NRA might wanna figure this out because one day? It might just be them or their kids. If 90% of your country wants some gun laws passed, and you can’t get it done peacefully / democratically, and it literally is a life and death thing? Yeah, I could see people getting forceful about it. If your political process doesn’t work, ultimately people will resort to other means. Just the way it is.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 10:27 PM   #1268
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also the news reporting seems to say he got past an armed resource officer and then potentially 2 more armed officers?

And somehow arming teachers is presented as a solution?

Give it a couple of years and they'll be suggesting having the military at schools to stop this.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 10:31 PM   #1269
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-te...482483df6e4683

Onlookers begging the police to go in after the shooter. I get the idea of what they are trying to do but seems like there needs to be more assertive policies when someone is shooting up a bunch of 10 year olds.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 10:39 PM   #1270
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it hard to blame anyone except those that are in the pockets of the gun lobby for allowing this to happen.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 10:45 PM   #1271
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Something, something, both sides, many sides

https://twitter.com/user/status/1529478187478024197
If it's all just about money, I wish some wealthy guy (or band of wealthy guys) would just pony up even more money to counteract the NRA's influence and sway these ####s the other way or donate to their opponents.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:57 PM   #1272
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
If it's all just about money, I wish some wealthy guy (or band of wealthy guys) would just pony up even more money to counteract the NRA's influence and sway these ####s the other way or donate to their opponents.

I can’t believe how relatively cheap it is to buy a bunch of politicians and wreak havoc on the country.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2022, 11:11 PM   #1273
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Right? Like a Cameo video request, you can get these whores to say all kinds of dumb #### for a relatively low fee.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:24 PM   #1274
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-te...482483df6e4683

Onlookers begging the police to go in after the shooter. I get the idea of what they are trying to do but seems like there needs to be more assertive policies when someone is shooting up a bunch of 10 year olds.
If he intended to kill the children, they were already dead. "Assertive" techniques would have just put the officers and public at an increased risk.

If he didn't intend to kill the children (ransom, platform or just fleeing from his domestic dispute with his grandmother), escalating the situation puts the children at risk along with the officers. Imagine the backlash if the shooter was just using the children as a human shield and some Rambo-wannabe-cop went in gun blazing?

However he got into the school after engaging with the resources officer was a fault of some type. But once inside and barricading, I don't think the officers had much else they could do except protect those they could and try to gather intel until they were ready to engage.
The Following User Says Thank You to OptimalTates For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 01:20 AM   #1275
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

It's pathetic that there are some suggesting the solution is to arm teachers, when the armed police officers didn't do anything to stop the shooter.

From reddit:

Quote:
First they lied that he had body armor.

They stood around while parents made plans to rush in on their own.

In the end, it was a team from the Border Patrol, not the cops, who breached the school and shot the killer.

And when they finally did go in, they rescued their own kids first.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2022, 06:49 AM   #1276
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If he intended to kill the children, they were already dead. "Assertive" techniques would have just put the officers and public at an increased risk.

If he didn't intend to kill the children (ransom, platform or just fleeing from his domestic dispute with his grandmother), escalating the situation puts the children at risk along with the officers. Imagine the backlash if the shooter was just using the children as a human shield and some Rambo-wannabe-cop went in gun blazing?

However he got into the school after engaging with the resources officer was a fault of some type. But once inside and barricading, I don't think the officers had much else they could do except protect those they could and try to gather intel until they were ready to engage.
If there was an armed person on the scene (and perhaps 2 other armed police officers) - I'm pretty confident you can act faster than giving the guy enough time to barricade a room (allegedly) and shoot kids. Its not like these people were a 10 minute drive away. They were either on the school property or in the school itself when the guy entered the school.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:27 AM   #1277
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You'd be wrong. You wouldn't even be able to open the door based on current information. SWAT couldn't knock it down. It's a big ass steel door made for these exact situations (though obviously intended to prevent the shooter from entering).

The officers weren't the school resource officer but those who had received the call about the grandmother, yet they did exchange gunfire according to some reports.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:34 AM   #1278
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Absolutely terrible.
Having young kids makes these items just hit home that much harder.
I cant fathom what those poor kids had to go through, and then the parents as well its heartbreaking.

Sadly this continues to happen, those NRA numbers paid to senators is an absolute joke.

But like others have said, once Sandyhook happened and nothing was done I have little faith the U.S will change. I pray it does, but I have no faith.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:49 AM   #1279
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Nvm

Last edited by AltaGuy; 05-26-2022 at 07:51 AM.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:59 AM   #1280
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Victims families urged armed police officers to charge into Uvalde school while massacre carried on for upwards of 40 minutes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/commen...m_source=share

That's enough internet for me today.
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote