Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2021, 09:23 AM   #461
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Backlund's line had a rough night, but the Monahan line looked good.

Assuming a bounce back from #11's trio that's the best the top nine has looked all year.

Lucic can't be top six.
Lewis shouldn't be top nine.

It worked.
I think Lucic and Monahan have complementary pacing and skill sets. Dube not so much yet. But I could see it working for him too.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 01:47 PM   #462
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I thought last night was one of his best games if not the best one this season. He was all over the puck. That is the Sean Monahan we know. And this is coming from someone that has been on the trade-Monahan-train for a while.
Definitely in agreement, probably one of, if not his best games of the year and definitely the most effective his line has looked all season and I hope it can continue. Hopefully he can start burying some more of his chances though, with how good his line was last night and for how many minutes they played, a goal manufactured specifically by Monahan could’ve made all the difference in securing at least one point or possibly even 2.

For me however, I’m still on the trade Monahan camp. Mostly due to the team’s really poor cap situation. I don’t think Treliving expected such an explosive start by Mangiapane or Kylington’s season out of no where. But regardless, if the Flames want to keep these guys and the top line intact, Monahan’s contract has to go.

But that doesn’t mean we can’t all hope that he can still have a decent season upping whatever trade value he has while hopefully contributing to the team’s winning ways. I certainly would take that over buying him out which would really hurt our cap situation. So hopefully we’ve found our 4 lines and this is it for a while.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:24 PM   #463
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Lucic can't be top six.
Lewis shouldn't be top nine.
Both players are bottom line material. Flames need one more proven skilled player in the top nine. Get that, and I think this team is a contender.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 02:41 PM   #464
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Definitely in agreement, probably one of, if not his best games of the year and definitely the most effective his line has looked all season and I hope it can continue. Hopefully he can start burying some more of his chances though, with how good his line was last night and for how many minutes they played, a goal manufactured specifically by Monahan could’ve made all the difference in securing at least one point or possibly even 2.

For me however, I’m still on the trade Monahan camp. Mostly due to the team’s really poor cap situation. I don’t think Treliving expected such an explosive start by Mangiapane or Kylington’s season out of no where. But regardless, if the Flames want to keep these guys and the top line intact, Monahan’s contract has to go.

But that doesn’t mean we can’t all hope that he can still have a decent season upping whatever trade value he has while hopefully contributing to the team’s winning ways. I certainly would take that over buying him out which would really hurt our cap situation. So hopefully we’ve found our 4 lines and this is it for a while.
Oh, for sure if there’s a deal to move Monahan, you take it. Solves a lot of cap issues. So did exposing Gio for that matter.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:17 PM   #465
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Just bringing back this thread to discuss Monahan.

We are incredibly lucky to have such a skilled player on our lower lines and it's a testament to his character that he's bought into Sutter's philosophy of play your role day in and day out without complaint.

However, he's still a $6.375M cap hit 3rd liner who has just lost his PP1 slot to Tyler Toffoli. He's got one more year on his contract but at his current production, he's going to be hard to move with that kind of a cap hit.

It would be great if we could find a way to clear this off our books to divert the funds to keeping the 1st line together but at this point I'm not sure what can be done.

After half a season, what are your thoughts on Sean Monahan? Can he still find the old touch? Is he still recovering from his surgeries?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:25 PM   #466
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's definitely still recovering. Scuttlebutt is, he won't be fully recovered this season.

I don't think he'll ever be the same player that he used to be, but I have hope that he'll be a lot easier to move in the off-season.
Old 03-01-2022, 06:55 PM   #467
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So i guess he’s good for 2 goals tonight then lol
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 06:57 PM   #468
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will never be what he was, and probably never a player who makes $5M+ again. But he can make himself useful.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2022, 07:03 PM   #469
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan doesn’t score enough to be top 6. He’s too slow and contact-shy to be a checker.

Maybe people can offer up some NHL comparables of what Monahan has become. Kyle Turris comes to mind. Any other suggestions?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 07:08 PM   #470
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Monahan doesn’t score enough to be top 6. He’s too slow and contact-shy to be a checker.

Maybe people can offer up some NHL comparables of what Monahan has become. Kyle Turris comes to mind. Any other suggestions?
Stastny? Not a 20 goal man since he was 27, but useful enough for a bunch of teams.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:17 PM   #471
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I love Stastny's game, he's a chippy bugger when he's on. Like Backlund on a good night.

Monahan is either just so beat up and broken at this point, or ... hopefully, still slowly recovering.... but he's not fast and he's not physical, so his game is really really limited. He was brilliant in front of the net but the rest of his game was never that strong honestly. Love the guy, he's been a warrior, but the expectation has to be low at this point - his most important role right now is winning important faceoffs, a part of his game he's worked really hard on.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 07:28 PM   #472
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I don't think there are any personal digs at him as a player, it's simply cold hard math in terms of his current production not meeting his cap hit and trying to find a solution for this team's cap issues in the next season.

I've mentioned this in other threads but faced with the RFA status of Mangiapane next year and how his agent played hardball at the arbitration, I think one of the more realistic options is to try to bundle Monahan and Mangiapane's RFA season rights to another team that can afford it.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 03-01-2022 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:42 PM   #473
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m not sure at what point we say he is “still recovering” vs just plateaued. At this point I’m thinking more plateau. Of course as fans we have limited understanding of injuries and the rehab progress.

But it’sa large enough body of evidence that I am not expecting him to snipe and play the way that we were treated to over the last decade.
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2022, 09:15 PM   #474
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I think one of the more realistic options is to try to bundle Monahan and Mangiapane's RFA season rights to another team that can afford it.
Or bundle him with Hanafin and re-sign the bread man
We have Left D that are ready to step in
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2022, 09:18 PM   #475
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

After tonight I think we definitely have to keep Toffoli on PP1 so Monahan just lost his main offensive opportunity.

That said it's still early days with the new Lucic-Monahan-Toffoli line.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:23 PM   #476
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
After tonight I think we definitely have to keep Toffoli on PP1 so Monahan just lost his main offensive opportunity.

That said it's still early days with the new Lucic-Monahan-Toffoli line.
It's actually fine and Monahan will probably have success on the 2nd pp. They get decent time and a better match up.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:26 PM   #477
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
It's actually fine and Monahan will probably have success on the 2nd pp. They get decent time and a better match up.
Monahan’s actually made some very nice plays on PP2. There’s only one other actual offensive player on that unit though. I do like Zadorov on the point.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2022, 09:28 PM   #478
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lucic - Monahan - Toffoli had some excellent shifts tonight, happy with the trio. Monahan has lots his spot on the first powerplay permanently though
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:32 PM   #479
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
Or bundle him with Hanafin and re-sign the bread man
We have Left D that are ready to step in

Hanifin is a legit #1 defenceman. He's one of the last players I'd be trying to trade.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2022, 09:33 PM   #480
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I like Monahan a lot and still think he's a good player but the Flames are going to have to move some money/contracts of good players if they're going to re-sign Gaudreau and Tkachuk.

So trading Monahan and Mangiapane makes sense to me as well.

But Tkachuk still has another year before having to be re-signed so a lot can happen. He's going to come at a premium though, that's for sure. Maybe the cap will increase next year as well so who knows.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
soft