Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #61
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Chevelle - Vena Sera out April 3!! Just heard their first single, sounds real good.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 04:57 PM   #62
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I've never really given Modest Mouse a chance, so I am listening to that stream right now. It's not really my style, but the fifth song "parting of the sensory" is an excellent track. I might give it another listen down the road. Good lyrics through out though.
Definitely a band you need to listen to a few times to get used to.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #63
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
New Metallica is coming out this year too.

I wonder if they go back to their old style, or stay with what they made on St. Anger.
I'm not expecting it to be Master of Puppets 2 but I think it'll be more old school than the last few albums based on the two new songs they played last summer in Europe and what they've said about playing Master of Puppets from start to finish a few shows making them want to go back to that type of style.

It wont be anything like St. Anger though not only because they never make two albums that sound the same but they've even said it was an experiment and something they felt was right at the time but it wont be used for the new album. Some people liked it but some people hated it. I would have liked it to be more cleaner but I liked that it was more aggressive than the Loads and even part of the black album. They've also gone back to Lars and Hetfield listening to riff CDs and having Hetfield write all the lyrics which is something they didnt do with St. Anger.

Having Rick Rubin the new producer and it also being Rob Trujillo's first album with them should give the album a different sound as well. From what the band has said up until Monday when recording started he's let them do their own thing as far as writing material and coming up with riffs and has just stopped in every once and a while to give them his input. Bob Rock was with them for the whole writing and recording process and I think had too much input.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #64
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

New Linkin Park on May 15th

:CantWait:
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #65
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post

Really? Christ, I thought they'd finally gone away.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 09:57 PM   #66
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Really? Christ, I thought they'd finally gone away.
My 12 year old mentioned them as one of his favorite bands out of the blue the other day and I about puked.

God awful. Almost as bad as Limp Bizkit and Korn.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:59 PM   #67
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Just heard on the radio the other day that the White Stripes just finished up a new album that is due out very soon.

Speaking of Jack White, does anyone have the Rancatouers or whatever his other band is called? I haven't heard a single track. Good stuff?
Old 03-15-2007, 10:06 PM   #68
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Speaking of Jack White, does anyone have the Rancatouers or whatever his other band is called? I haven't heard a single track. Good stuff?
it's different, like some songs sound like they are from the 70's, but it is pretty good after a few listens, imo.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:36 PM   #69
Hakan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Some songs are total Led Zepplin rip offs. All in all, if you're a white stripes fan I would recommend it.
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:55 PM   #70
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow. I can't believe Johhny Marr joined Modest Mouse, what was he thinking?
Hopefuly the new Ween and Crowded House are released soon. Unfortunately, I think the new U2 album is ways away.(probably '08).
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:30 AM   #71
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
LOL how can someone who likes one of the most overrated bands - white stripes - criticize any other band is beyond me. Too funny.
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:51 AM   #72
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My 12 year old mentioned them as one of his favorite bands out of the blue the other day and I about puked.

Not even close to the Bizkit. Linkin doesn't sing about my way of the highway or my generation or crap like that. Just because they are popular and sell crap loads of records doesn't make them bad. If you bought the CD's, and really listened to them, and didnt think about their image, you know, its not really that bad. I aint proclaiming them to be the best musicians, songwriters or anything like that, but they make catchy ass songs and have variety in their stuff. Off Meteora, their last CD, their singles were Faint, Somewhere I Belong, Numb and Breaking the Habit. Not one of those songs sounds remotely the same, and Breaking the Habit was unlike anything they have done. Also on the CD, there's a track called Nobody's Listening, not my favorite song, but they use this old style Japanese flute type instrument and blend it with a pretty good beat to make a song that was totally original. Don't like them, that's fine, but they are nowhere near the same league as Bizkit.

And also, LP is amazing live, Chester can scream with the best of them, seen them 4 times. Can't wait for "Minutes to Midnight"!!!
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:52 AM   #73
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post

Hell Yeah, I think you can agree with my post above.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:58 AM   #74
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry...I can't stand anything that combines 'rock/rap' or 'metal/rap'.

Rap is rap and should be left as rap...it's just fine (and sometimes damn good that way)

Ditto for rock and ditto for metal.

Fusion bands are just trying too hard

Couple that with Linkin Park's terrible and asanine lyrics, and you have a recipie for awful.

His voice isn't bad though.

As mentioned above, I can't wait for the next Ween album...I thought they would have released it somewhat close to Shinola Vol. 1, what with both albums supposedly being cutting floor stuff and b-sides...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:05 AM   #75
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Sorry...I can't stand anything that combines 'rock/rap' or 'metal/rap'.

Rap is rap and should be left as rap...it's just fine (and sometimes damn good that way)

Ditto for rock and ditto for metal.

Fusion bands are just trying too hard

Couple that with Linkin Park's terrible and asanine lyrics, and you have a recipie for awful.

I see what you're sayin, but if a big complaint from people today is that too many bands sound the same, wouldnt a fusion band be something different?? And isn't something different a positive?? I know LP didn't start the rap/metal thing, so Im not calling them pioneers, but there isn't that many bands out there right now that sound like them. They have their own sound and at the end of the day, I think that has to be seen as a positive. I dunno, I know I'm gonna be in the minority on this one, just my opinion.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:10 AM   #76
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Doesn't take long for a thread like this to degenerate into a 'my taste in music is much better and mature/intellectual than yours...'

I'm not into very popular music much either (A lot of stuff I like is kinda fringe popular, IE Tool and stuff) but I have to agree their ain't nothing wrong with Linkin Park, and Chesters voice is amazing. Their songs are formulaic, but good. As for Korn, they were great when they came out and helped reinvent rock and metal.

Regardless, people like what they like and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

Back to the main topic I'm surprised no one has mentioned the new NIN album Year Zero coming out April 17th.

If your a NIN fan this album is supposed to be a concept album. Concept? It's 2022 and the U.S. is run by a fanatical ultra religious neo-con government after more and more civil liberties have been eroded away. The government headed by a big brother type ideal known as The Presense, is very involved in the lives of it's citizens.

I've heard two of the leaked tracks (which were linked in interesting ways by it appears Reznor himself, if interested try wikipedia entry Year Zero) and found one to be ok, and one to be very good.

Apparently this disk is the first of two CD's and a movie with the same theme. Where drugged up Trent gave us a new CD every six years, sober Trent is apperently very busy and wants to release 3 albums in four years (if you count With Teeth in 2005) and a movie. Course there's argument about which musical works are, were, will be better, but in the end, it's more music to check out.

I think the last NIN album, With Teeth, was definiely the weakest, but a mediorce NIN album is still great in my books.

Last edited by Daradon; 03-16-2007 at 02:43 AM.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:35 AM   #77
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Naw to be completely honest, now that I don't hear Linkin Park 24/7 on TV/radio they don't annoy me nearly as much.

Bands that are different aren't better, just different. Bands that create their own niche aren't necessarily great either, just unique.

Bands that are different, great, and unique are rare. And that makes them something worth talking about.

And yes, I'm highly anticipating the next NIN album, what I've heard of it has me hooked alot better than With Teeth did to be honest.

Quote:
Old 03-16-2007, 02:38 AM   #78
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

^^^ Yes that is the thing, media and marketing like to overplay everything to death till we are sick of it don't they? Earning every last dollar as quickly as they can then, throwing it, and often the artist, away.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:40 AM   #79
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was like I couldn't escape their music for all of 2003-2005.

Not to mention it was during the teenagers transitory phase from goth to emo, so tons of them blasted it at 100 decibels through their headphones on transit etc.

Quote:
Old 03-16-2007, 07:47 AM   #80
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Of Liberty View Post
LOL how can someone who likes one of the most overrated bands - white stripes - criticize any other band is beyond me. Too funny.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote