Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2021, 08:08 PM   #2581
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I didn't think they'd be allowed due to the additional cost of insuring the players, but the CSA has gone ahead with it. They're hoping for a big crowd and there's the additional hope that the Mexicans and Costa Ricans won't be able to handle the cold.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:12 PM   #2582
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1448471175089242112
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 08:14 PM   #2583
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post

Ok that explains things.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:14 PM   #2584
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
I didn't think they'd be allowed due to the additional cost of insuring the players, but the CSA has gone ahead with it. They're hoping for a big crowd and there's the additional hope that the Mexicans and Costa Ricans won't be able to handle the cold.

I’m a born and raised Canadian and I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle the cold.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 08:14 PM   #2585
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
I'm a very casual fan, and starting to get into it lately - excuse the (possibly) dumb question, but how the heck can they play home soccer games in Edmonton in November??
It is definitely not a dumb question. I get why Canada wants it, but I am surprised that they were allowed. it could EASILY be -15 to 20 in November.

The ball will be a brick. The field will be greasy as ####.

I am very worried that the games will be a joke and an embarrassment.

But we can worry about that in November. For now, what a HUGE win for Canada!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:20 PM   #2586
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
I'm a very casual fan, and starting to get into it lately - excuse the (possibly) dumb question, but how the heck can they play home soccer games in Edmonton in November??
https://youtu.be/L3SOPjIxVMQ

Soccer can be played in most conditions, rain or snow, as long as the ball can move.

I remember this was a world cup playoff in Moscow

Last edited by GirlySports; 10-13-2021 at 08:24 PM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:21 PM   #2587
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Our nation's football league starts its playoffs in November every year. It'll be fine.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:21 PM   #2588
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Well, it isn't allowed to be played if the pitch is frozen or if the TV cameras can't pick up an orange ball.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:23 PM   #2589
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No under-soil heating at Commonwealth Stadium. The artificial turf still freezes. There's simply no way any insurance company will offer insurance for Alphonso Davies' contract with Bayern Munich when you're talking about that kind of pitch in that kind of climate.

A lot of people don't realize that the CSA's largest cost, by far, is insurance premiums on the domestic league contracts of the players they call up.
Quote:
Where are you getting your information? Has Canada ever not iced/fielded a top player, in a competitive game due to insurance?

I can recall in 2013, the dry-land orientation of our mens Olympic team. That was without skating, but was also a selection camp.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:26 PM   #2590
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just didn't think the CSA would be willing to stump up the cost to insure Davies' contract. He must be on massive money at Bayern Munich. If he gets injured on international duty, as happened last month, FIFA don't compensate Bayern Munich.

Newcastle sued and won over ten million British pounds after Michael Owen was injured in the 2006 World Cup.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:27 PM   #2591
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Loved watching Davies lead the crowd into cheers with the drum.

If El Salvador can nick a draw off Mexico tonight, it would be great.
Is there any benefit to finishing 1st or 2nd vs 3rd?

I was assuming we'd want Mexico and the US to just take as many points off these other teams as possible.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:30 PM   #2592
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just didn't think the CSA would be willing to stump up the cost to insure Davies' contract. He must be on massive money at Bayern Munich. If he gets injured on international duty, as happened last month, FIFA don't compensate Bayern Munich.

Newcastle sued and won over ten million British pounds after Michael Owen was injured in the 2006 World Cup.
So you don't actually know the intimate financials.

Shame on me.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 08:32 PM   #2593
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
I hope this captures the attention of casual fans in Canada. With the age of our core players, this is just the start, and I hope they ride the momentum. Can’t wait for next month, I really hope it’s a good turnout, and I have the feeling it will be.
Well I can say that amongst my group of friends, none of which even mentioned the Canadian men’s national team in years prior, the men’s team are now a topic of conversation. Guys talking about Davies’ goal in chats right now. It’s good! I’m about as casual a fan there is and they have captured my attention!

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 10-13-2021 at 09:12 PM.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 08:32 PM   #2594
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Is there any benefit to finishing 1st or 2nd vs 3rd?

I was assuming we'd want Mexico and the US to just take as many points off these other teams as possible.
I can understand why one might think that's a good strategy. The issue is that we NEED the other teams to have an interest in the final three matchdays as they will all take place from March 24-31, 2022. Let's say Panama do poorly in their next five matches and are out of the picture with three games to go. They're on the road in matchday 13 to the USA and we may be fighting for third place with the Americans at that point. We need all of these countries to have something to play for.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:40 PM   #2595
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta be careful. November soccer in Edmonton likely means a 0-0 draw. I’m not sure the crowd can overcome the conditions.

I expect it to be rescheduled elsewhere.

Only caught the last 15 tonight. Was fantastic!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:45 PM   #2596
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
It is definitely not a dumb question. I get why Canada wants it, but I am surprised that they were allowed. it could EASILY be -15 to 20 in November.

The ball will be a brick. The field will be greasy as ####.

I am very worried that the games will be a joke and an embarrassment.

But we can worry about that in November. For now, what a HUGE win for Canada!
Yes I've played outdoors in mid November a couple times in my career.
Skill goes away and it's really a war of attrition on who the least affected by cold or terrible weather.

This isn't the 80s or 90s where Canada has to neutralize a higher skilled team by making them play on cement with a ball as hard as a rock and skin freezing after 25 minutes. Canada is as skilled as other teams, that's clear in these games, and to be honest, many of their top players don't play in cold conditions.

It's not going to be nearly as much of an advantage for this team as the CSA planned. Let's hope there is no injuries.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2021, 09:09 PM   #2597
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Yes I've played outdoors in mid November a couple times in my career.
Skill goes away and it's really a war of attrition on who the least affected by cold or terrible weather.

This isn't the 80s or 90s where Canada has to neutralize a higher skilled team by making them play on cement with a ball as hard as a rock and skin freezing after 25 minutes. Canada is as skilled as other teams, that's clear in these games, and to be honest, many of their top players don't play in cold conditions.

It's not going to be nearly as much of an advantage for this team as the CSA planned. Let's hope there is no injuries.

I wonder if Davies maybe requested it. His hometown and such.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:36 PM   #2598
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Finishing 1st, 2nd or 3rd is important, not specificly for the placing itself, but for FIFA Rankings. The entire World Cup draw is based on the FIFA Rankings. For Canada it could be the difference between being in Pot 3 or Pot 4.

Aside: Jamaica beat Honduras 2-0 on the road!

Old 10-13-2021, 09:47 PM   #2599
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Finishing 1st, 2nd or 3rd is important, not specificly for the placing itself, but for FIFA Rankings. The entire World Cup draw is based on the FIFA Rankings. For Canada it could be the difference between being in Pot 3 or Pot 4.

Aside: Jamaica beat Honduras 2-0 on the road!
Fully expect, in the still surreal thought that Canada will make it to Qatar, 3 and out, score a few goals and maybe get a draw. Good enough. The experience alone will make 2026 more than a novelty and the expectation of getting out of the (larger group or more groups as the WC expands) group an expectation.

And hopefully we get John Helm to call a Canada match!

Not there yes though. Get an ugly win vs CRC and any points off Mexico in an equally ugly game here and will be better.

Just need lots of draws from the teams down below us from here on in, too.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:51 PM   #2600
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Fully expect, in the still surreal thought that Canada will make it to Qatar, 3 and out, score a few goals and maybe get a draw. Good enough. The experience alone will make 2026 more than a novelty and the expectation of getting out of the (larger group or more groups as the WC expands) group an expectation.

And hopefully we get John Helm to call a Canada match!

Not there yes though. Get an ugly win vs CRC and any points off Mexico in an equally ugly game here and will be better.

Just need lots of draws from the teams down below us from here on in, too.

Don't be so fast to write them off. World Cups are weird, especially when they are not played in Europe. Qatar will be a strange place, teams will have to deal with many things and a very tight schedule. The group stage is 3 games in 9 days.

Remember in 2014, Costa Rica made it to a penalty shootout in the quarters. They won the group with Uruguay, Italy and England!

Aside: The 2026 World Cup will be 16 groups of 3!