Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-14-2021, 11:21 PM   #81
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
ADT/Telus uses the Alarm.com app (adt has been using it for years) which is much better platform than Pulse. Pulse was innovative and new when it was first released but ADC is much better and more user friendly.
You're right, Pulse feels very dated.

That's good to know. I have a Honeywell Lynx Plus panel (no touchscreen) and when they set it all up the installer told me to use Pulse. I have never been given a login for Alarm.com. How would I go about getting that as a login from ADT/Telus?

Last edited by Iceman90; 08-15-2021 at 01:19 AM.
Iceman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 10:47 PM   #82
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
You're right, Pulse feels very dated.

That's good to know. I have a Honeywell Lynx Plus panel (no touchscreen) and when they set it all up the installer told me to use Pulse. I have never been given a login for Alarm.com. How would I go about getting that as a login from ADT/Telus?

give me a pm. I'll get you upgraded for $25. New panel that includes a few contacts and a camera. you'll prob get a lower monitoring rate as well.

seriously, get rid of lynx. it's out of date and not compatible with adc.

FYI:I now contract mainly for ADT/Telus and they are up selling with incredible discounts.

Last edited by csnarpy; 08-17-2021 at 10:51 PM.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 02:06 PM   #83
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Are they meant to go to junction boxes? Mine mount to the wall and the plate is just there to cover that. Looking at install videos I don't see any using boxes, I know I have seen one recently I can't find that one again and don't recall how he did it.

https://www.cctvcamerapros.com/secur...xes-s/1504.htm

There are some dedicate camera junction boxes here for all brands, also post a review after you get it all up and running I was looking at updating mine to that model you have.
Update.

I installed the cameras by screwing them to a metal plate, then screwing the metal plate to the junction box. At first I was worried that they wouldn't be secure enough, but the camera is better secured to the plate than the junction box is to the actual house. I suppose somebody can lasso the camera and yank it down compared to a dome camera, but I didn't think of that till now. And who walks around with a lasso?

I used these plates: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ibe...ver/1000805180

The cameras themselves are awesome. Crystal clear 4K 30fps. The NVR interface & app kinda suck, but are usable and reliable. I also have a 2k Lorex doorbell that uses a different app that appears to be more "consumer grade" so it's nicer to use.

All in all, really happy. I think I just need to fiddle with some camera settings because when my porch light is on at night, the camera can't make heads or tails out of auto-switching to night-mode or not.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #84
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default DIY home security thread

Seriously though, burglars probably see my POS car parked in my front driveway, and move along to the next house...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 04:05 PM   #85
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

DIY Security Success!!!

Last night, I left the garage door open. Noticed this morning that the car that was in the garage, the drivers side door was open and so was the glove box.

Nothing was missing from the car, 42 inch tv that was sitting on the floor (it's broken) was still there as were all the bikes, golf clubs, baseball equipment, etc all accounted for.

Thought maybe a neighbor noticed and tried to look for an opener to close the garage but why would they leave the car door opened?

Fired up the Wyze cam app. Crap, the SD card is corupted and no motion events detected all night. Fire up the SmartThings app and look at the garage motion sensor log. At 1:43am motion sensor logs an increase of 4 lux and a few seconds later motion is detected. This would have triggered all the lights in the garage to flip on at 100%.

I fire up the Wyze Cam app because we have another camera above the garage looking out the window onto the street. Go to 1:40am... 1:41 guy in all black comes walking up the path 2 doors down and directly into my garage

At 1:43, he came booking out of the garage and ran down the street in the opposite direction from where he came.

So, dumb me left the door open, cam failed but because the light level change and motion was detected when the lights were off, all the lights in the garage fired up and scared the crap out of the bastard.

Because I have smart home integrations that are truly smart in that I have automated things to happen from specific triggers, my bacon was saved. Cameras are great to see what happened but do nothing other than let you watch as someone empties your garage. Make your house do things for you and on your behalf and you too will feel like Kevin McAllister.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 08:08 AM   #86
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Integration still not good enough with Google home for most of the stuff I have. So far, if my v3 wyze Cam senses a human it seems about all I can do is start my robot vacuum... haha.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:12 PM   #87
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
DIY Security Success!!!

Last night, I left the garage door open. Noticed this morning that the car that was in the garage, the drivers side door was open and so was the glove box.

Nothing was missing from the car, 42 inch tv that was sitting on the floor (it's broken) was still there as were all the bikes, golf clubs, baseball equipment, etc all accounted for.

Thought maybe a neighbor noticed and tried to look for an opener to close the garage but why would they leave the car door opened?

Fired up the Wyze cam app. Crap, the SD card is corupted and no motion events detected all night. Fire up the SmartThings app and look at the garage motion sensor log. At 1:43am motion sensor logs an increase of 4 lux and a few seconds later motion is detected. This would have triggered all the lights in the garage to flip on at 100%.

I fire up the Wyze Cam app because we have another camera above the garage looking out the window onto the street. Go to 1:40am... 1:41 guy in all black comes walking up the path 2 doors down and directly into my garage

At 1:43, he came booking out of the garage and ran down the street in the opposite direction from where he came.

So, dumb me left the door open, cam failed but because the light level change and motion was detected when the lights were off, all the lights in the garage fired up and scared the crap out of the bastard.

Because I have smart home integrations that are truly smart in that I have automated things to happen from specific triggers, my bacon was saved. Cameras are great to see what happened but do nothing other than let you watch as someone empties your garage. Make your house do things for you and on your behalf and you too will feel like Kevin McAllister.
I don't have the motion sensors or automatic lights, but I do have the MyQ garage setup that automatically closes the garage door at 9pm if it's open. I also get notifications whenever the door opens/closes which is nice, I've forgotten to close it a few times when leaving for work and being able to close it from anywhere is great
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #88
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I don't have the motion sensors or automatic lights, but I do have the MyQ garage setup that automatically closes the garage door at 9pm if it's open. I also get notifications whenever the door opens/closes which is nice, I've forgotten to close it a few times when leaving for work and being able to close it from anywhere is great
I've been thinking to install something like this, but never got around to it. Instead I acquired a smart lock with geofencing for the garage door that leads into my home. It automatically unlocks and locks when it get home or leave and it also automatically locks after a certain duration has passed.

My thinking had always been that in the worst case scenario, they can get at stuff in my garage, but not the house itself.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:27 PM   #89
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I've been thinking to install something like this, but never got around to it. Instead I acquired a smart lock with geofencing for the garage door that leads into my home. It automatically unlocks and locks when it get home or leave and it also automatically locks after a certain duration has passed.

My thinking had always been that in the worst case scenario, they can get at stuff in my garage, but not the house itself.
I'd let them ransack my house before my garage. Garage is where you have your tools, bikes, etc. In the house? IDK, some TVs that are super easily replaceable. Furniture? Like, what would you want out of a guy's house?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:49 PM   #90
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I'd let them ransack my house before my garage. Garage is where you have your tools, bikes, etc. In the house? IDK, some TVs that are super easily replaceable. Furniture? Like, what would you want out of a guy's house?
Well the thing is if they get into your garage, without something like this, there's the potential for a double whammy.

I don't have anything expensive in my garage, yet. The ultimate plan is to get both a smart garage door remote and combine it with the smart lock. Then I might start storing more expensive stuff in my garage.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:24 PM   #91
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I have a Linear zwave garage door controller but haven’t automated any of it other than being able to ask Alexa if the door is open or not. Ideally, my good night routine closes it if the tilt sensor shows it open but Alexa is limited in what you can do with things like garage door controllers and entry locks for security reasons. An opened for x time based rule to close would be more annoying for me than useful.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 04:04 PM   #92
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I recently purchased a house that has an AlarmForce setup. Doors, windows, motion sensors. Looks like they all have power.

Apparently Bell purchased AlarmForce a few years ago. I called Bell and they told me that the only way to use everything is to sign up for a monthly service.

I did a quick search to see if I could somehow connect Google Home or a different third party app, but no luck.

Does anyone know if there’s anything I can actually do with these devices without a subscription? If not, I’ll likely just remove them all.

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2021, 07:09 PM   #93
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
I recently purchased a house that has an AlarmForce setup. Doors, windows, motion sensors. Looks like they all have power.

Apparently Bell purchased AlarmForce a few years ago. I called Bell and they told me that the only way to use everything is to sign up for a monthly service.

I did a quick search to see if I could somehow connect Google Home or a different third party app, but no luck.

Does anyone know if there’s anything I can actually do with these devices without a subscription? If not, I’ll likely just remove them all.

Thanks!
Konnected and a smart home hub (SmartThings, Hubitat, Home Assistant, etc.) might be just what you need. Haven't used it myself but I think yours is the exact use-case for it.

https://konnected.io/
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2021, 06:26 AM   #94
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^^^ Thank you!
Old 10-03-2021, 08:03 PM   #95
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Konnected and a smart home hub (SmartThings, Hubitat, Home Assistant, etc.) might be just what you need. Haven't used it myself but I think yours is the exact use-case for it.

https://konnected.io/
This. I had a AAA Alarm system put in when we built our house 15 years ago. I got a SmartThings hub years go and had zwave motion sensors and door sensors. Konnected was a Kickstarter project at the time that I supported which eventually launched. I cancelled the alarm service and wired everything it had into the Konnected panel and tied it into SmartThings. I repurposed the zwave sensors and used the wires sensors. I worked greatly until my SmartThings hub finally failed. I put Home Assistant on an old Raspberry Pi 2 and have been running it on that since and had been solid. The one thing I was able to setup on HA that I never got to work with ST was a delayed alarm where it goes you 30 seconds to leave th house before it arms.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. HA is a huge learning curve and does take a considerable amount to time to setup.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:16 PM   #96
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Can anyone recommend good smart light switch replacement that work with Home Assistant? I'm looking for stuff that will work with Home Assistant, and I need single and double switches
Old 10-04-2021, 03:17 PM   #97
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I typically use Leviton Decora Z-Wave+ switches and dimmers. What do you mean by single and double switches?
Old 10-04-2021, 04:25 PM   #98
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I typically use Leviton Decora Z-Wave+ switches and dimmers. What do you mean by single and double switches?
2 switches in one wall plate, but dumb me forgot that it's just 2 single switches behind that plate. I'm actually leaning towards Shelly now though after doing some more reading, so I can convert my existing switches/outlets which should save a lot of money

https://shelly.cloud/shelly-plus-1/
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2021, 04:51 PM   #99
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
2 switches in one wall plate, but dumb me forgot that it's just 2 single switches behind that plate. I'm actually leaning towards Shelly now though after doing some more reading, so I can convert my existing switches/outlets which should save a lot of money

https://shelly.cloud/shelly-plus-1/
So how do you physically control the light with one of those installed? It looks like it replaces the switch entirely.

Edit: NM, says it fits behind the switch itself... which really depends on the type of switches you use.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:49 PM   #100
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Finally got around to setting up Home Assistant on my local server in preparation for adding smart switches, and I'm impressed with what I can do with it with my existing devices. I have the MyQ garage setup, but one thing that annoyed me with the app is the only automation you can setup is closing the garage at a set time each day. But after hooking it into HA I've got it closing the garage when my phone leaves the home zone, automatically opening it when I re-enter the zone, and if the wife or kids open it manually and leave it open it'll auto close after 30 minutes

Now I'm on the lookout for more stuff to add to it. Little disappointed my Ultraloq deadbolt isn't supported, may have to switch it out in the future