Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-22-2020, 10:34 AM   #61
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

After ditching my Lorex system, I've been pretty happy with the Eufy devices. No subscription based storage. All stored locally and super easy setup. The battery seems to last (although I haven't tested it in winter yet). One of the cameras has only gone down one bar (out of five) in about three months.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:45 AM   #62
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I already had a Ring doorbell so I just ordered the security kit on Prime day. It was easy to set up and seems to be working well, so far.
Awesome. I'm over a year in and still so happy with how well the Ring alarm works. Great purchase.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:38 AM   #63
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I'm building a new house, where are some areas I should run Cat 6 for security cameras? Obviously front and back door, but any other suggestions?

I want a closed system where the recordings are on a local hard drive server in my basement. Not sure I want big corporations monitoring my ####.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:12 PM   #64
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
If I'm building a new house, where are some areas I should run Cat 6 for security cameras? Obviously front and back door, but any other suggestions?

I want a closed system where the recordings are on a local hard drive server in my basement. Not sure I want big corporations monitoring my ####.
I would recommend Ubiquiti for an easy to use closed camera system

https://store.ui.com/collections/surveillance

The Cloud Key Plus is the controller and storage for the cameras, comes with 1TB but can be upgraded to 5TB. Best thing about Ubiquiti is that you can still access it over the cloud, even though everything is stored locally. I setup a small 3 camera system at work and it was dead easy to do. I really wanted a system like that for my house, but I have no idea how I would run ethernet cables since the basement is finished. If I was building I'd stick ports near all of the doors and the garage, plus a couple in the living room/bonus room to be able to see what the kids are doing

Last edited by Hemi-Cuda; 10-27-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 08:05 PM   #65
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Awesome. I'm over a year in and still so happy with how well the Ring alarm works. Great purchase.
Are you self monitoring, or do you have the 'monitored' Pro Plus Plan?

Quote:
Side door, front yard (I'd seriously consider one in the yard itself if you have cars parked out front), garage door exterior, garage interior.

Basically the exterior perimeter entry points and places most frequented by them.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #66
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Are you self monitoring, or do you have the 'monitored' Pro Plus Plan?
I'm on the monitored pro plan.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:49 PM   #67
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK so all my camera locations are in the soffits, regular junction box prewired with cat 6 cable.

Here is my problem.

I want to use these cameras https://www.lorextechnology.com/site/NC4K3MV-168WB-1-p but their base is only 3.6" wide, whereas your normal junction box is 4". Lorex offers their own proprietary junction boxes, but I already have junction boxes installed in my soffits.

What is the best way to attach the cameras to the junction boxes?
Old 07-22-2021, 12:51 PM   #68
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you just get some injunctive box covers like these, and drill mounting holes for the camera?

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ibe...ver/1000805180
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:56 PM   #69
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could. In fact, those are already on the junction boxes.

I'm just wondering out loud if there is a "proper" way to do this.
Old 07-22-2021, 01:01 PM   #70
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I could. In fact, those are already on the junction boxes.

I'm just wondering out loud if there is a "proper" way to do this.
Are they meant to go to junction boxes? Mine mount to the wall and the plate is just there to cover that. Looking at install videos I don't see any using boxes, I know I have seen one recently I can't find that one again and don't recall how he did it.

https://www.cctvcamerapros.com/secur...xes-s/1504.htm

There are some dedicate camera junction boxes here for all brands, also post a review after you get it all up and running I was looking at updating mine to that model you have.

Last edited by Raekwon; 07-22-2021 at 01:07 PM.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 01:18 PM   #71
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Are they meant to go to junction boxes? Mine mount to the wall and the plate is just there to cover that. Looking at install videos I don't see any using boxes, I know I have seen one recently I can't find that one again and don't recall how he did it.

https://www.cctvcamerapros.com/secur...xes-s/1504.htm

There are some dedicate camera junction boxes here for all brands, also post a review after you get it all up and running I was looking at updating mine to that model you have.
They don't need junction boxes, but since they are inside the soffits, they need them in this case.

Since the home was prewired, the electrician used regular outdoor junction boxes and slapped a generic cover on to protect the ethernet cable inside.

If there was a way to buy only the covers from that link you sent (minus the junction box itself) I'd be in business.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:50 PM   #72
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picked up some Wyze V3 cameras and I have the say their starlight mode is pretty impressive. For $40 I won't complain.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:04 PM   #73
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Picked up some Wyze V3 cameras and I have the say their starlight mode is pretty impressive. For $40 I won't complain.
They're fantastic. Pop an SD card in the back for continuous event recording and there's no need to opt for the cloud subscription. I just grabbed a Wyze doorbell as well after Home Depot finally got some stock in, and it's just as good as the Nest or Ring doorbells for a fraction of the cost

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with Wyze devices since they're so cheap, but I haven't seen any negatives so far after a few months of using them. The only thing I wish they'd do is release an outdoor power cable for the Cam V3, I'd like to grab a couple more to replace the wireless cameras I have but the only power available is exterior outlets
Old 07-23-2021, 05:34 AM   #74
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
They're fantastic. Pop an SD card in the back for continuous event recording and there's no need to opt for the cloud subscription. I just grabbed a Wyze doorbell as well after Home Depot finally got some stock in, and it's just as good as the Nest or Ring doorbells for a fraction of the cost

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop with Wyze devices since they're so cheap, but I haven't seen any negatives so far after a few months of using them. The only thing I wish they'd do is release an outdoor power cable for the Cam V3, I'd like to grab a couple more to replace the wireless cameras I have but the only power available is exterior outlets
Buy a weatherproof cover for the outdoor outlets.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:34 AM   #75
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Buy a weatherproof cover for the outdoor outlets.
That's not the issue I'm concerned with, it's using a standard USB power brick outdoors. How would that handle -25 temperature swings?
Old 07-23-2021, 10:52 AM   #76
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think this is available in Canada yet but have had Wyze security set up in home for about 6 weeks now.
Cost of base kit plus the extra sensors we wanted was about $120US and includes 1 year of monitoring. We already had a couple Wyze cams we incorporated as well. It can be self monitored as well once the year runs out. Like any system that is net connected only, there are limitations but so far so good.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 08:09 PM   #77
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have been an ADT customer for a number of years now, and with my contract over in a few months I am looking for some other options. I am a little disappointed that the US had an ADT integration with SmartThings which we never got. And since TELUS bought ADT I've found that the ADT Pulse mobile app has been far less reliable.

I am looking at the DIY systems out there. The Ring Alarm is being discontinued, and the Wyze system isn't in Canada yet. During my research I found good reviews for FrontPoint. Is anyone using that one that could provide feedback?
Old 08-14-2021, 10:21 PM   #78
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
I have been an ADT customer for a number of years now, and with my contract over in a few months I am looking for some other options. I am a little disappointed that the US had an ADT integration with SmartThings which we never got. And since TELUS bought ADT I've found that the ADT Pulse mobile app has been far less reliable.

I am looking at the DIY systems out there. The Ring Alarm is being discontinued, and the Wyze system isn't in Canada yet. During my research I found good reviews for FrontPoint. Is anyone using that one that could provide feedback?
Ring being discontinued is news to me. Have a link? I use Ring and think its great so I hope not!
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2021, 11:07 PM   #79
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Ring being discontinued is news to me. Have a link? I use Ring and think its great so I hope not!
Sorry, my bad. I got the two tech giants confused. Google's Nest Protect is being retired. Amazon's Ring system will live on. For some reason I had it in my head that Nest and Ring were the same product but just re-branded.

If that's the case, I'll be giving the Ring system a good look for sure.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:13 PM   #80
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post

ADT/Telus uses the Alarm.com app (adt has been using it for years) which is much better platform than Pulse. Pulse was innovative and new when it was first released but ADC is much better and more user friendly.

I am unsure if ADC is compatible with Smart Things, but I'm going to test that out tomorrow. ADC is compatible with a ton of brands so there is a chance.

Edit: after a quick search, they are definitely compatible.

Last edited by csnarpy; 08-14-2021 at 11:18 PM.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote