Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-27-2021, 02:11 PM   #1181
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Used some scrap lumber, and the PEX and poly I used for the same purpose last year, to build some easily removable greenhouse covers for my garden boxes.

Love getting projects done having spent $0.
PEX falls apart very quickly with UV exposure, might want to wrap it with silicone tape.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:30 PM   #1182
T-Dog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Does anyone have a recommendation of a place in Calgary to buy decorative bark pieces (for landscaping under trees, etc) in bulk?
T-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 10:09 PM   #1183
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dog View Post
Does anyone have a recommendation of a place in Calgary to buy decorative bark pieces (for landscaping under trees, etc) in bulk?
I hit Burnco each spring to top up our gardens. We've used Soil Kings in the past as well for delivery before we had a truck
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:15 PM   #1184
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dog View Post
We bought a half yard from CLS. Formerly cochrane landscaping supply, now located in bearspaw. They delivered it in a giant bag. We were getting sand and dirt as well, which made the delivery charge easier to take.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #1185
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
You tried any of the "good" insecticides? Generally these are ones not at the Home Depots of the world cause they don't want people overusing and ruining the environment. Usually the type you'd get commercially or from the States.
Or UFA if you can provide them with a legal farming location...or from a friend who is a farmer and could get it for you. Diazepam works very well.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:12 PM   #1186
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sevin is more than adequate. I committed mass ant genocide with it last year.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:02 PM   #1187
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a ton of trees on my property I'm trying to figure out what to do with. 4x giant like 30-50' spruce trees, 2x 10' spruce trees like 2 feet from the foundation and like half a dozen tower aspen (or columnar popular, not sure).

I'm thinking to DIY (which likely I have to spend around $300-500 for some equipment like pole saws, telescopic pruners, safety equipment etc.). I think I can do most of it, but for the roots, should I try and DIY or should I call in a pro? How much does it cost to dig out tree roots and stumps? I'm also assuming if I want someone to pull it out for me, it would be easier to leave 3-4 feet of trunk for leverage vs cutting to a few inches off the ground?

I think I am going to cut down one of the shorter spruce trees. I'm not looking forward to digging out the roots though. I'm also trying to figure out if I want another plant to replace the spruce for privacy.

The 4 gigantic spruce are going in all sorts of different directions and I think I need to figure out how to tidy them up a little. I doubt I can upkeep more than around 15-20' up. No idea if I need to trim even higher. My neighbor also has around 3-4 large spruce trees that occasionally overhang onto my side, so I think having the saws and the pruners will be useful for that too.

The tower aspen are getting older and are around 5-6" trucks at the base. The property inspector advised met to consider replacing them in around 2-3 years time so that the roots don't get bad enough to damage the foundation and the upper branches aren't thick enough to damage the roof when the wind blows. Cutting them down isn't hard, but I wonder how big of a pain it would be to rip out the roots myself to prepare the ground for new trees.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:09 PM   #1188
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My lawn is near perfect except for a circle of crabgrass. I plan to try the Roundup paintbrush trick and if that doesn’t work I will kill the small area and reseed.

Any other brilliant ideas?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:11 PM   #1189
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find the Wilson Total Wipeout works better than roundup. But you will have to apply in the same careful manner. Though I use it on quackgrass, not crabgrass.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:16 PM   #1190
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I don't know where we were talking about artificial turf, but it should be in this thread. So Sliver, I took some pictures for ya of that horrible turf job I mentioned.

Spoiler!

Why you'd spend all that money on a brand new house and do that to it, I can't figure out.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2021, 08:22 PM   #1191
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

If that house/turf is Sliver’s home, this could get entertaining.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:23 PM   #1192
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We all know he's down in the Lake District. This is by Confed.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:25 PM   #1193
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was wondering if you were in the good end of town or the bad. Crisis averted.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2021, 09:26 AM   #1194
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Haha, that is one of the most poorly executed landscaping jobs I've ever had the pleasure of seeing. You weren't kidding.

So northwest of them.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:03 AM   #1195
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Sevin is more than adequate. I committed mass ant genocide with it last year.
I called around and can't seem to find this anywhere. Do you have a specific location that might still carry it?
Old 06-09-2021, 11:40 AM   #1196
postman56
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Am much as I like watering, hauling hoses around a large yard can be a pain.
I'm thinking of a sprinkler system and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for DIY?
The quotes I'm getting seem ridiculous from installers, with 3x the markup on supplies.
Just looking for general info on how to.

Is this a project that anyone could do?

Any web sites? books? suggestions? tips?

Cheers in advance
postman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:12 PM   #1197
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I did my own which is just hooked up to a four way timer that connects to my hose bib. It’s not code at this point, I will eventually tie it into the house and sort all of that out, maybe next year. I found the actual work easy, just getting the right sprinklers and coverage is the tricky part. I’ve had to move some of the units here and there to get everything to work but it does the job.

I really enjoyed the process.

Last edited by surferguy; 06-09-2021 at 12:18 PM.
surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:38 PM   #1198
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
My lawn is near perfect except for a circle of crabgrass. I plan to try the Roundup paintbrush trick and if that doesn’t work I will kill the small area and reseed.

Any other brilliant ideas?

I think those are probably the only 2 options, since any herbicide that works on Crab/Quack grasses likely work on fescues and ryes that we have here. (aka don't think there are any selective herbicides that'll do the trick).

Curious to hear how it goes. Backing onto a ravine we have plenty of quack (I think thats what it is since its tall and root-y and annoying) that comes into our turf grass. I'm not too fussed about it, but the pain is it grows so much taller/faster than the rest of the lawn it makes it look unkempt really fast
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 11:19 AM   #1199
Remember1989
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hoping to get a recommendation...

We have several garden beds around our house located in Renfrew that need some TLC and attention/ With two new family members now part of the household, taking care of weeding these areas is no longer making it to page 1 of the "to do" list (or even registering).

A few places I called were in the $60/hr range per person to do what they call "bed maintenance" which to us isn't economical. So wondering if anyone knows of a company or otherwise that would charge much less than that?
Remember1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #1200
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remember1989 View Post
Hoping to get a recommendation...

We have several garden beds around our house located in Renfrew that need some TLC and attention/ With two new family members now part of the household, taking care of weeding these areas is no longer making it to page 1 of the "to do" list (or even registering).

A few places I called were in the $60/hr range per person to do what they call "bed maintenance" which to us isn't economical. So wondering if anyone knows of a company or otherwise that would charge much less than that?
$60/hr to weed a garden bed!? I'm in the wrong business!
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies