Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-16-2021, 12:27 PM   #641
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not sure why I even want to jump in on the conversation, because its ova.

I feel like its a bit of a chicken\egg thing with Bennett. On the one hand, perhaps the organization did him wrong by rushing him, or pushing him down the line-up or putting him in situations that he can't succeed and gain confidence or any of the above, maybe there was a top line center there somewhere.

On the other hand, if Bennett truly was the player we thought that we drafted at 4th overall, I don't think any of the above matters very much. He should have forced his way into the top 6, he should have forced his way onto the powerplay he should have made it beyond obvious without a shadow of a doubt that he was ready for 20 minutes of top 6 prime time. But he didn't and here we are.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:29 PM   #642
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
He has a mediocre wrister, but I always thought his one timer was pretty deadly. It felt like every time he actually attempted one, he found the back of the net. A few one timers I can think of

- a feed from Hudler on Luongo to kick off his four goal game
- a PP feed from, I wanna say Gaudreau on Jonathan Quick
- a feed from Kylington on, I wanna say a Coyotes player? This one's a bit fuzzy
- that goal he sniped on Khudobin in last year's playoffs

I'm sure there were others, but these are just the ones I remember off hand.
When you are going back 5+ years for an example it probably isn't that good of a shot. Even a blind squirrel and such.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:30 PM   #643
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
When you are going back 5+ years for an example it probably isn't that good of a shot. Even a blind squirrel and such.
he hasn't attempted a lot of one timers. That's been a teamwide issue in general. We've crossly underutilized the one-timers of Lindholm, Gaudreau, Backlund, and Mangiapane, as well.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:44 PM   #644
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post

I feel like its a bit of a chicken\egg thing with Bennett. On the one hand, perhaps the organization did him wrong by rushing him, or pushing him down the line-up or putting him in situations that he can't succeed and gain confidence or any of the above, maybe there was a top line center there somewhere.

On the other hand, if Bennett truly was the player we thought that we drafted at 4th overall, I don't think any of the above matters very much. He should have forced his way into the top 6, he should have forced his way onto the powerplay he should have made it beyond obvious without a shadow of a doubt that he was ready for 20 minutes of top 6 prime time. But he didn't and here we are.
This is really all that's needed to be said.
I look at Bennett vs Mangi, same age but one forced his way into an undeniable top 6 role while the other complained about his deployment.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 12:47 PM   #645
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My guess is Bennett is going to be an absolute force for the rest of the season plus playoffs

We'll have to listen to the criticism until about 20 games into next season when it's clear he's back to his old ways
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:03 PM   #646
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Yes, but the followers of St. Bennettdictine have been extremely pious in their dedication to such a flawed player. It has been a display of faith more than anything. Hell, even after his departure his devotees are still eagerly awaiting his return and clear proof of him being their special messiah.
I found both extremes puzzling.

The organization has failed him and he needs a chance crowd ... and the he's not even an NHL player, he's replacement level.

Both were far too emotional about the subject.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #647
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
he hasn't attempted a lot of one timers. That's been a teamwide issue in general. We've crossly underutilized the one-timers of Lindholm, Gaudreau, Backlund, and Mangiapane, as well.
Must be the coaches. One timers must not be in the “playbook”.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #648
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Averaging 10-12 goals a year is probably a good indication he isn't exactly a sniper. But watching him makes it more clear. Even Playoff Bennett was more of a banger who managed more goals. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I can't imagine his shot was ever considered a strength.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:26 PM   #649
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He has a ten cent head.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 02:53 PM   #650
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Bennett was an unfortunate victim of the CHL 19 year old rule. If he could have played AHL at that age he would have followed a similar path to Dube and I think we would have had a better player. His confidence was shattered by having to make the big jump without that middle step. It’s been said that the NHL is not the place to be learning, and I think that holds true for Sam.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:54 PM   #651
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I found both extremes puzzling.

The organization has failed him and he needs a chance crowd ... and the he's not even an NHL player, he's replacement level.

Both were far too emotional about the subject.
Except results supports one perspective and contradicts another. This is a guy that has been out-scored by Nail Yakupov, one of the great busts of our time. Bennett was a massive failure. Accept it and move forward. Give Treliving props for finding another sucker that believes in Bennett's aura rather than the results put forward. Take the two 2nd rounders and spike the football as a success, forgetting that Sam Bennett ever existed in a Flames uniform. To me, this is Sven Baertschi all over again. The deal has been made, be happy with the return, and never reference the fact that this soon to be Euro-league has been was ever part of the Flames. He's the Panthers' problem moving forward, and we should be happy that is how his legacy will be remembered.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:13 PM   #652
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Must be the coaches. One timers must not be in the “playbook”.
Sutter seems to be using them more than any of the previous coaches. If you look at our current PP setup:

Tkachuk (netfront)
Andersson (RHS on left wing) - Lindholm (RHS able to receive passes from the right wing) - Gaudreau (LHS playmaker on right wing)
Giordano

This is by far the best setup for one timers.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 04-16-2021, 03:20 PM   #653
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sutter seems to be using them more than any of the previous coaches. If you look at our current PP setup:

Tkachuk (netfront)
Andersson (RHS on left wing) - Lindholm (RHS able to receive passes from the right wing) - Gaudreau (LHS playmaker on right wing)
Giordano

It actually looks to me that Lindholm is high centre slot, where Monahan was. That’s where his powerplay goal the other night came from.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:21 PM   #654
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Except results supports one perspective and contradicts another. This is a guy that has been out-scored by Nail Yakupov, one of the great busts of our time. Bennett was a massive failure. Accept it and move forward. Give Treliving props for finding another sucker that believes in Bennett's aura rather than the results put forward. Take the two 2nd rounders and spike the football as a success, forgetting that Sam Bennett ever existed in a Flames uniform. To me, this is Sven Baertschi all over again. The deal has been made, be happy with the return, and never reference the fact that this soon to be Euro-league has been was ever part of the Flames. He's the Panthers' problem moving forward, and we should be happy that is how his legacy will be remembered.
You have to admit this is kind of funny from the guy with some of the most posts in this thread who seems to mention Bennett an average of once per day.

He was traded... move on with your life... the horse is sufficiently dead.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 03:38 PM   #655
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Tkachuk (netfront)
Giordano

I’ll go to green next time.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 03:47 PM   #656
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I think the return itself pretty much nukes the replacement player argument.

An actual outcome (Florida GM wanting Bennett and surrendering two assets) pretty much puts to rest that he as a replacement level player.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 03:58 PM   #657
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think the return itself pretty much nukes the replacement player argument.

An actual outcome (Florida GM wanting Bennett and surrendering two assets) pretty much puts to rest that he as a replacement level player.
No, the results that Bennett produces in Florida will put that to rest. I once sold a car to a fool that believed it was "collectable" and had way more value that it really had. The guy valued the car way more than it was worth, so he paid a huge premium for it. That didn't make it the $30K vehicle he paid for, it just put a value on it to him. As soon as he drove it away it became the $12K vehicle it was worth, and was proven when he went to sell it a year later and took a major bath on it.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 04:00 PM   #658
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It actually looks to me that Lindholm is high centre slot, where Monahan was. That’s where his powerplay goal the other night came from.
That's what I meant. High center slot, but he's receiving passes from the RW (Gaudreau, or in the case of that goal, from Tkachuk behind the net)

Since he's a RHS, he can get a one timer off. This setup gives eveyone way more options than having Monahan there.

Old 04-16-2021, 04:07 PM   #659
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
No, the results that Bennett produces in Florida will put that to rest. I once sold a car to a fool that believed it was "collectable" and had way more value that it really had. The guy valued the car way more than it was worth, so he paid a huge premium for it. That didn't make it the $30K vehicle he paid for, it just put a value on it to him. As soon as he drove it away it became the $12K vehicle it was worth, and was proven when he went to sell it a year later and took a major bath on it.
I am fairly convinced that when Bennett is still playing NHL hockey in another five years you will still be banging away on this ridiculous, long-since refuted drum of yours about him being a replacement-level player. At this point it almost doesn't matter what he does; doubling-down has quite obviously become the most important thing for you in this discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 04:13 PM   #660
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post

This is how I feel too, I felt that Bennett should have pushed a little harder because if you are a top line guy you have to show something anything.... He didnt fight hard enough for it. I do think being out on the too line, doing well for a couplevgames then oushed back down may have factored in. I agree as well I felt Bennett was poorly handled for all the reasons mentioned.

He may have the ability but he plays like a 3rd liner, not a top liner and that part is up to Bennett.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote