Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2021, 07:19 PM   #621
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Looks like Sam wears #9 in FLA..

First Lanny’s moustache, and now this...

drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 07:35 PM   #622
Fourteen FTW
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Read this on the HF Boards:
“Bennett is a playoff performer, a bit like Foligno, but actually with better hands, and a pretty lethal and accurate shot. I don’t understand the pessimism, ESPECIALLY from the “pro-Hall-let’s-overlook-his-####ty-play-but-nobody-else’s-because-Hall-is-such-a-stud-even-if-he’s-not” crowd.”

I like and will miss Benny, but hands?! Lethal accurate shot?! If he had those things he’d have been a 20 goal scorer and stuck on the first line.
Fourteen FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fourteen FTW For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 07:41 PM   #623
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I said you can't equate his work as a GM with that as a coach, because he actually had success as a coach and sucked as a GM, hence the comparison doesn't hold up. Might want to go take a look at the roster of those Stanley Cup championship teams. Both were big and mean. The Flames are neither. Change is a comin'.

If he was fixated on size as a coach why wouldn’t he have been as a GM? I agree you can’t compare his performance in the two roles but how did his philosophy change? Also, the coach doesn’t pick players. No doubt he had success with the bigger LA team but he didn’t pick the players.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:01 PM   #624
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Does anyone know when Bennett will make his Florida debut?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:03 PM   #625
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I believe the earliest he possibly could is Saturday, but that still assumes visa and covid protocols go smoothly. There's still a chance Coach Q holds him out to get a practice in or whatever.'

tl;dr - I don't know

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 08:05 PM   #626
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No official word. I do not know if he is quarantining or not, but I don't think there is a requirement here in Florida (surprise, surprise). I imagine he'll get a practice or two before getting in a game. Doesn't he have to have 4 consecutive negative COVID tests before joining the team? I thought I heard that somewhere.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 09:12 PM   #627
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourteen FTW View Post
“Bennett is a playoff performer, a bit like Foligno, but actually with better hands, and a pretty lethal and accurate shot. I don’t understand the pessimism, ESPECIALLY from the “pro-Hall-let’s-overlook-his-####ty-play-but-nobody-else’s-because-Hall-is-such-a-stud-even-if-he’s-not” crowd.”

I like and will miss Benny, but hands?! Lethal accurate shot?! If he had those things he’d have been a 20 goal scorer and stuck on the first line.
Come playoff time he's good at driving the net with his hands of stone enough times that sometimes the puck ends up in the back of it. Also hitting anything that moves while rocking a ginger duster that your girlfriend would cheat on you with.

But that's about it.

Bennett does not snipe, he shuffleboards the puck in while letting his body do 85% of the work.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 09:17 PM   #628
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Come playoff time he's good at driving the net with his hands of stone enough times that sometimes the puck ends up in the back of it. Also hitting anything that moves while rocking a ginger duster that your girlfriend would cheat on you with.

But that's about it.

Bennett does not snipe, he shuffleboards the puck in while letting his body do 85% of the work.
This is a very accurate description.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 09:31 PM   #629
greentree
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Looks like Sam wears #9 in FLA..
That's a cool number.
greentree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:39 PM   #630
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

93 - I get it.
9 - that's fine too - Gilmour wore 9 in St. Louis (and 18).

Did nobody show Bennett what number Gilmour wore in Calgary? That's the real reason it never worked out for him. He jinxed himself by wearing the wrong number here.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 11:44 PM   #631
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bennett should play on Saturday. Also Q said it's possible he'll get a look at center which isn't very surprising. Their #3C has been in flux the whole year. I wouldn't be surprised either if he gets a look beside Barkov on the first line since Verhaege is out for a few weeks.
Saqe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2021, 11:47 PM   #632
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
93 - I get it.
9 - that's fine too - Gilmour wore 9 in St. Louis (and 18).

Did nobody show Bennett what number Gilmour wore in Calgary? That's the real reason it never worked out for him. He jinxed himself by wearing the wrong number here.
Wow, this whole time we were arguing about whether it was Bennett or the team’s fault that Bennett didn’t work out and it was the damn number all along.

If this revelation doesn’t bring us together once and for all, nothing will.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 11:56 PM   #633
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

So one of two things happened in the alternate universe, Bennett get's drafted by Toronto and wears #39 and doesn't meet expectations with his play and get's traded. Or the Flames draft him he wears #39 and becomes an elite two way #1 center.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 04:41 AM   #634
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Saturday is what I’ve heard.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:03 AM   #635
Dajazz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

But that's about it.

This, thank you.

Bennett doesn’t have an NHL shot. That’s one of his major weaknesses. He telegraphs it starting at the redline and by the time he’s at the face off dot he releases. If he’d worked on his shot he could be a lot more useful.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:02 AM   #636
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourteen FTW View Post

He has cement hands and a knack for firing the puck directly into the goaltender's chest protector (when the opposition lets him have enough time to get a shot off). Whoever wrote the description above has never seen Bennett in the NHL.

I mean I love the guy, but holy let's be honest here.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:45 AM   #637
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

He doesn't have cement hands but they're far from silky smooth. His shot is definitely not lethal. He's a puck pursue, crash and bang type of guy who has good enough hands around the net.

My hope for Bennett was a Mike Richards 2.0 without the off ice issues, and that's exactly what this team has needed.
Bourque's Twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 11:41 AM   #638
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I argue that Bennett DID have silky mitts. He DID have a decent shot.

Somehow, they started deteriorating over the years. Was it confidence? Development? I don't know. I do think that they WERE there before, and like how many people have commented on this before, his first year or two's worth of highlights showed that he had a fair amount of skill, but they became less apparent over the years.

My personal belief is that a combination of a lack of confidence coupled with less than ideal development has produced the Bennett that we have seen.

I do not think Bennett has it in him to become a 1st line centre, much less a franchise centre, but I do think that Bennett can improve from what he is today. Will be interesting to see how Florida deals with him, what type of opportunity they give him, and how he prospers there. Nothing shocks me at this point. Hope it works out really well for the kid.

Like him or not, we can all agree that this kid played his heart out every playoffs for this team (even through an injury last year), and was always quick to stick up for his teammates. I will always personally love him for his time here, but I understand that some people see things differently.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 12:02 PM   #639
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Somehow, they started deteriorating over the years. Was it confidence? Development? I don't know. I do think that they WERE there before, and like how many people have commented on this before, his first year or two's worth of highlights showed that he had a fair amount of skill, but they became less apparent over the years.

My personal belief is that a combination of a lack of confidence coupled with less than ideal development has produced the Bennett that we have seen.

I do not think Bennett has it in him to become a 1st line centre, much less a franchise centre, but I do think that Bennett can improve from what he is today. Will be interesting to see how Florida deals with him, what type of opportunity they give him, and how he prospers there. Nothing shocks me at this point. Hope it works out really well for the kid.

Like him or not, we can all agree that this kid played his heart out every playoffs for this team (even through an injury last year), and was always quick to stick up for his teammates. I will always personally love him for his time here, but I understand that some people see things differently.
I’ve always thought it was confidence with Bennett. Put him in the AHL and I bet he goes absolutely off. Him and Dylan Strome are very similar in that respect.
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:24 PM   #640
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He has a mediocre wrister, but I always thought his one timer was pretty deadly. It felt like every time he actually attempted one, he found the back of the net. A few one timers I can think of

- a feed from Hudler on Luongo to kick off his four goal game
- a PP feed from, I wanna say Gaudreau on Jonathan Quick
- a feed from Kylington on, I wanna say a Coyotes player? This one's a bit fuzzy
- that goal he sniped on Khudobin in last year's playoffs

I'm sure there were others, but these are just the ones I remember off hand.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote