Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #2801
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post

Wonder Woman 1984 - Not nearly the crime against cinema that some have claimed it to be, but still well below expectations and the previous installment. Interesting story, and Wonder Woman is the best character in the DCEU (IMO), but poor villains and confusing direction. The overall cinematography was just below average and it felt they condensed a 4 hour movie into 2.5 hours and you felt that in every way. The nostalgia was fun, but nothing too redeeming about it other than adding a bit of depth to the best character in the Justice League. Also not available as subscription content. I'd give it about 7/10, but that might be a bit generous.
I'm sorry that move was horrendous. 2/10, like Bman v Sman level of bad

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 04:44 PM   #2802
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I'm sorry that move was horrendous. 2/10, like Bman v Sman level of bad
I would put it above that mess, but it has the same rapid-fire, rudderless storytelling that plagues the DCEU. Wonder Woman is just a much, much more interesting character and I thought the action and fight sequences were really well executed.

Of course, I'm grading on a curve exclusive to the DCEU.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:45 PM   #2803
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It might be the soft bigotry of low expectations, but Yamers right. WW84 pretty much confirms DCEU still doesn't have the slightest of what makes a good movie, and budget be damned they can't be bothered with production quality. But I had no problem sitting through the movie,

BvsS was unwatchable,
the original version of JL was nearly unwatchable.
SS's ending was laughable,
the original WW had a marginally better but still laughable ending.
Aquaman a train wreck you can't quite look away from.
Shazam isn't even a good movie, it's reminiscent of crappy 90s family movies like small soldiers or something like that.

WW84 isn't a good movie but by no means does it standout within the series I think it might even be slightly above average for the series.

(I have watched synders wet dream yet, so can't comment on that, but regardless of what everyone says I hold out pretty much no hope, I don't really have the patients for 2.5 hours of slow motions plotless action sequences).
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:49 PM   #2804
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ll admit I watched Shazam last weekend and enjoyed it. Not that it was great per se. but didn’t think I wasted my time like every other DC movie I have seen.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:53 PM   #2805
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I not a DC v Marvel fanboy. Couldn’t care less, actually. But I’m slightly intrigued by the amount of hate DC gets.

If its truly as bad as people say ...why doesn’t WB just burn it to the ground and start from scratch with the successful Marvel ‘blueprint’?

Too stubborn?

Easier said than done?
Old 04-08-2021, 07:07 PM   #2806
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I’ll admit I watched Shazam last weekend and enjoyed it. Not that it was great per se. but didn’t think I wasted my time like every other DC movie I have seen.
I'm not a fan of the Shazam movie yet I'm very excited for Black Adam.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:23 PM   #2807
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
I not a DC v Marvel fanboy. Couldn’t care less, actually. But I’m slightly intrigued by the amount of hate DC gets.

If its truly as bad as people say ...why doesn’t WB just burn it to the ground and start from scratch with the successful Marvel ‘blueprint’?

Too stubborn?

Easier said than done?
DC has a lot of interesting material to draw from, a storied history in television and film, and a couple of the most widely recognized literary characters in human history.

WB goes to the simplest story, mash many stories together, dumb down the characters, eliminate depth in favor of spectacle, and hire people to produce/write/direct that don't have a very strong instinct for dialogue, character or cohesive storytelling. WB has just been a horrible owner of this property.

Honestly they should leave the Justice League characters alone for a while. I'd make an full on Hellblazer movie (to introduce the mystic DC), Animal Man movie (from the New 52 to introduce the Green), Madame Xanadu (Wagner edition, to build a credible threat or three to the DCU, and a central female protagonist). Film them all to come out within an 18 month span.

Then do three JLA Dark (3 year time frame), one with a John Constantine villain after Batman, one with an Animal Man villain after Wonder Woman, and one with a Xanadu villain after Superman.

There's the relaunch courtesy of a dude watching the sun going down over the mountains on a Thursday in April.

That shouldn't be a better plan than what the WB has done/will do.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:45 PM   #2808
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always thought they should do the Justice League set in like the 50s or 60s. Take them completely out of our contemporary world and I think they fit a lot better.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:37 AM   #2809
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
It might be the soft bigotry of low expectations, but Yamers right. WW84 pretty much confirms DCEU still doesn't have the slightest of what makes a good movie, and budget be damned they can't be bothered with production quality. But I had no problem sitting through the movie,

BvsS was unwatchable,
the original version of JL was nearly unwatchable.
SS's ending was laughable,
the original WW had a marginally better but still laughable ending.
Aquaman a train wreck you can't quite look away from.
Shazam isn't even a good movie, it's reminiscent of crappy 90s family movies like small soldiers or something like that.

WW84 isn't a good movie but by no means does it standout within the series I think it might even be slightly above average for the series.

(I have watched synders wet dream yet, so can't comment on that, but regardless of what everyone says I hold out pretty much no hope, I don't really have the patients for 2.5 hours of slow motions plotless action sequences).
Aquaman was really entertaining and stood out in a good way from most other superhero movies. The audience response showed that there's always a demand for campy, dumb blockbuster entertainment that doesn't take itself seriously.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:01 AM   #2810
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Aquaman was really entertaining and stood out in a good way from most other superhero movies. The audience response showed that there's always a demand for campy, dumb blockbuster entertainment that doesn't take itself seriously.
The thing is, they weren't going for campy and dumb, they were dead serious. Which is one of the reasons it doesn't work at all. If you are going campy, you need to embrace it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 11:58 AM   #2811
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The thing is, they weren't going for campy and dumb, they were dead serious. Which is one of the reasons it doesn't work at all. If you are going campy, you need to embrace it.
Which is why Thor Ragnarok is such a good movie.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #2812
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Oh come on, that was really deliberately campy, and it also absolutely worked.

There's a reason why that movie made well over a billion dollars and was a bigger hit than any other DC movie (yes, including Dark Knight, others aren't even close) and many Marvel movies, and it's not because Jason Momoa was a huge star, or because Aquaman is a big draw, or because DC movies were the cool thing to see at the time. It's because people had fun watching that movie.

Aquaman in the top 10 for biggest superhero box office hits of all time, and for a movie like that, the box office really is the only measurement that matters. Aquaman was a homerun.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 09:04 PM   #2813
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am rewatching Blade Runner 2049 as I speak. I rarely recommend rewatching any modern film, because honestly, most of them are thin and poorly constructed. But goddamit, this movie is incredible in just about every facet. Just so much going on in every scene. Brilliant filmmaking. I hope it happens more often in the future.

Watch. This. Movie.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 10:27 PM   #2814
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I am rewatching Blade Runner 2049 as I speak. I rarely recommend rewatching any modern film, because honestly, most of them are thin and poorly constructed. But goddamit, this movie is incredible in just about every facet. Just so much going on in every scene. Brilliant filmmaking. I hope it happens more often in the future.

Watch. This. Movie.

Brilliant movie, and easily one of my favorites of the last decade or so. I actually prefer it over the original film.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:41 PM   #2815
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I've always thought they should do the Justice League set in like the 50s or 60s. Take them completely out of our contemporary world and I think they fit a lot better.
I believe this is what they are doing with Black Adam. He'll be fighting the Justice Society, which is the old times version of the JL.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 10:51 AM   #2816
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Godzilla vs Kong with my two boys last night. We all loved it. Great fight scenes.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:21 AM   #2817
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

Watch. This. Movie.
That's one of the few 4K Blu-Rays I own. The sound and visuals are so great that it's worth it.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 01:17 PM   #2818
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Watched Godzilla vs Kong with my two boys last night. We all loved it. Great fight scenes.
Yup. We watched it with our two kids last night. It was good. My kids loved it.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:37 PM   #2819
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I stumbled across The Wiz from the 1970s today. What an interesting movie. It is a version of The Wizard of Oz and has Diana Ross, Michael Jackson and Richard Pryor. It is not something that I would normally seek out to watch but I couldn't stop watching it.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 07:43 PM   #2820
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
That's one of the few 4K Blu-Rays I own. The sound and visuals are so great that it's worth it.
Yeah, the sound is a huge part of it. It's incredible. If I ever got the chance to just put whatever movie I wanted in an IMAX theatre all to myself, that'd be the one... I did see it in IMAX when it came out, and I'd really love the chance to do it again.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote