Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2021, 11:23 AM   #2781
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The acting wasn't the problem. The script was big time, it was overly preachy and sanctimonious in parts, with a ludicris premise. Sean Connery even at his 10% I'm buying a pool house with this gig tried to carry the movie.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #2782
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don’t think it was a terrible movie, but Connery was a bit of a ham in it. It was also at the height of the save the Amazon rainforest movement so that explains why it had a bit of a preachy tone.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:27 PM   #2783
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There were some outright brilliant scenes in it. When Connery talks about losing the cure to the 20th century plague.

The scene where they find the compound in sugar was brilliant.

The main cast in the movie carried it.

Not one of my favorites for sure, and I probably wouldn't watch it again. But there are certain actors. Jack Nicholson, Sean Connery, Gene Hackman, who no matter how bad the movie was they would almost carry it off.

Its a shame in a way that all three of them pretty much threw up their hands and walked away.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:21 PM   #2784
holden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek8NmpVBssA
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:41 PM   #2785
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched seaspiracy last night. And it really begs the question that if the impact is as grievous as the film makes it out to be (which I believe it is to an extent) . Why the hell isn't there a bloody war over this? Even the most greedy of individuals would recognize that there's zero long term profit in the practice of commercial fishing the way they are going now.

And 8f they were, they're some of the absolutely most stupidest human beings ever to exist.

I recognize the issue of feeding an impossible number of mouths requires commercial fishing as it is especially in regions like all of Asia and Africa.

End 9f the day the answer is ....in my humblest of opinions human overpopulation, the supply/demand can't keep up. I mean even if you eliminate profits from the equation, the oceans cannot replenish stocks fast enough.

People obviously see this, and yet we choose to carry on?

It's the same thing with the Amazon rainforest.

Except we are literally strip mining the ocean.

It was a lot for me to take in. And that's aside from the slave labor .
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 03:44 PM   #2786
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found a cure for the plague of the 20th century, and now I've lost it!
Never mind clip posted above
For some reason that quote always cracks me up
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2021, 05:12 PM   #2787
holden
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
'Brahnxshh'
holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:28 PM   #2788
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Better or worse than Anne Heche and Harrison Ford in Six Days, Seven Nights?
If that's the bar nothing can be worse.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:21 PM   #2789
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched the full series The Serpent today. Plods along at times but did tell a coherent story. Would recommend (Netflix). 8/10.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2021, 10:34 PM   #2790
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Watched seaspiracy last night. And it really begs the question that if the impact is as grievous as the film makes it out to be (which I believe it is to an extent) . Why the hell isn't there a bloody war over this? Even the most greedy of individuals would recognize that there's zero long term profit in the practice of commercial fishing the way they are going now.

And 8f they were, they're some of the absolutely most stupidest human beings ever to exist.

I recognize the issue of feeding an impossible number of mouths requires commercial fishing as it is especially in regions like all of Asia and Africa.

End 9f the day the answer is ....in my humblest of opinions human overpopulation, the supply/demand can't keep up. I mean even if you eliminate profits from the equation, the oceans cannot replenish stocks fast enough.

People obviously see this, and yet we choose to carry on?

It's the same thing with the Amazon rainforest.

Except we are literally strip mining the ocean.

It was a lot for me to take in. And that's aside from the slave labor .
A few things in my mind.

Fishing to the average person is just something that is a reel and a line. So not a big deal.

Governments have to supply and support the east coast (for example). They are strong voting blocks.

I’m not a scientist. But I feel a lot of the #### that happens in the ocean is a lot more dangerous to the world than a SAGD project in Alberta. But don’t ask an environmentalist about it.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 04-02-2021, 10:37 PM   #2791
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Over the last couple of days I’ve watched Nomadland, Godzilla vs, Kong, and Minari. All were great for different reasons.

I’ve also watched Bad Trip, Barb and Star go to Vista Del Mar, and Words on Bathroom Walls recently. They were all enjoyable.

Next up I’m thinking of watching a classic I’ve never watched before. I’m going to go with Thief or Fail Safe.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2021, 11:18 PM   #2792
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I say that quote out of the blue once a year.

No one ever knows that I’m talking about.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:13 AM   #2793
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Caught a couple of movies yesterday, I'd recommend both.

Hustlers (2019) with Jennifer Lopez was really good. Based loosely on a real story, it's got a lot going for it. There's the excitement of a good hustle, a pretty touching story about a friendship in good and bad times, a bit of social commentary that's not too heavy handed, and of course lots of skimpily dressed women. The tone of the movie isn't sleazy at all though, all characters in the story are treated with a lot of respect. 4/5.

Bill and Ted Face the Music was exactly what you'd expect: not a great movie, but if you're fan of the characters, you'll get a lovely nostalgia kick and enough laughs and smiles to leave you in a nice, positive mood. 3/5.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:52 PM   #2794
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw Nobody last night and really enjoyed it. Maybe not the most original movie, but it really worked for me. Bob Odenkirk was great in the role and it was fun seeing Christopher Lloyd again. Good balance of humor and action.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:57 AM   #2795
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched the indie flick Black Bear with Aubrey Plaza.

Meh.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2021, 02:20 AM   #2796
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I had a really hard time getting into Godzilla vs Kong at all.

The CGI was pretty great, but more than most movies that I typically refer to as "CGI: The Movie", this one did a really poor job of combining the real life action actors and the CGI, at least contextually.

It felt like the entire movie consisted of uninteresting exposition and thin plot, then alternating scenes of only CGI visuals followed by an insert closeup shot of an actor's face reacting as they watch the action. Of course that's exactly how these are made... but the disconnect was really jarring for me on this one.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:46 AM   #2797
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

The CGI was pretty great, but more than most movies that I typically refer to as "CGI: The Movie", this one did a really poor job of combining the real life action actors and the CGI, at least contextually.

It felt like the entire movie consisted of uninteresting exposition and thin plot, then alternating scenes of only CGI visuals followed by an insert closeup shot of an actor's face reacting as they watch the action. Of course that's exactly how these are made... but the disconnect was really jarring for me on this one.
I agree. It's free on hbo max, so I tried putting it on a couple times. I haven't made it past halfway yet. I'm surprised it is reviewed so well.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:17 AM   #2798
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Caught a couple of movies yesterday, I'd recommend both.

Bill and Ted Face the Music was exactly what you'd expect: not a great movie, but if you're fan of the characters, you'll get a lovely nostalgia kick and enough laughs and smiles to leave you in a nice, positive mood. 3/5.
that's exactly why wife and I are going to watch it.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2021, 12:19 PM   #2799
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

You have to treat it like a Fast & Furious movie. You are watching strictly for the over the top action scenes and not for the plot or dialogue. The monsters and battle scenes are amazing and worth the watch on their own but the rest is pure garbage. Honestly I don't understand how major studios can't get a better script for a movie like this. It doesn't need to be Oscar worthy as I realize the entire premises of giant apes and monsters battling it out in cities makes for a difficult task of injecting realism but a little more effort would go a long way as it's like they put practically no effort in and just ticked the box of generic human characters and storylines as filler ingredients.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 11:50 AM   #2800
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Caught up on a few films recently that I've hoping/waiting to see.

News of the World - Excellent film. Not much else to say other than I would definitely recommend it. As far as I know it's not available as subscribed content on any platform.

Fatman - An insane premise that I was really looking forward to, but I never felt the movie figured out the right balance. It was part parody, part crazy, part dramatic, part action...it just never committed to a real coherent path. Walton Goggins is always excellent, and even though it seemed he suffered from the uneven tone of the movie he was the best part. Gibson clearly was just having fun, and he was pretty convincing. Strange film. Watch it if you're interested, want the experience, and can see it for cheap. Also not available on a subscribed service as far as I know. 6/10

Wonder Woman 1984 - Not nearly the crime against cinema that some have claimed it to be, but still well below expectations and the previous installment. Interesting story, and Wonder Woman is the best character in the DCEU (IMO), but poor villains and confusing direction. The overall cinematography was just below average and it felt they condensed a 4 hour movie into 2.5 hours and you felt that in every way. The nostalgia was fun, but nothing too redeeming about it other than adding a bit of depth to the best character in the Justice League. Also not available as subscription content. I'd give it about 7/10, but that might be a bit generous.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote