Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2021, 09:59 AM   #1721
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to admit, that was pretty good.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:27 PM   #1722
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
What's the story with him?
Has he been injured? Disinterested?
Jose said hes healthier now than hes been

I do think something clicked a few weeks ago, when he missed that fa cup everton game

Ever since hes just seemed to be playing with the hand off the emergency break so to speak, it's only 4 games, but he is running at full speed, not avoiding contact, not overthinking every time he gets the ball

The 2nd goal he scored on the weekend was almost a carbon copy of one in the europa league last week, he got a pass at the top of the box, cut in and curled it into the corner of the net, felt like instinct, whereas when he was on the field this year prior he would stop the ball look around and miss his chance

Its playing armchair psychologist, but after 2 years of being injured or hated by his manager, just seemed like hes needed 6 months or so to get back in the headspace
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:17 PM   #1723
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post

I do think something clicked a few weeks ago, when he missed that fa cup everton game

Ever since hes just seemed to be playing with the hand off the emergency break so to speak, it's only 4 games, but he is running at full speed, not avoiding contact, not overthinking every time he gets the ball

The 2nd goal he scored on the weekend was almost a carbon copy of one in the europa league last week, he got a pass at the top of the box, cut in and curled it into the corner of the net, felt like instinct, whereas when he was on the field this year prior he would stop the ball look around and miss his chance

Its playing armchair psychologist, but after 2 years of being injured or hated by his manager, just seemed like hes needed 6 months or so to get back in the headspace
That one run he had in the first half was great as well. I'd be interested in keeping happy, healthy Bale around for sure. I mean, it was Burnley, so we probably need to be a little bit careful in drawing too many conclusions, but it was nice to see.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:09 PM   #1724
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post

That and maybe the reality hitting him that he better smarten up or he's back to Madrid to rot for a final year.
It's just weird that we're nearly 2/3 through the season and he's started, what 3-4 league games?
Here's a November 2017 pic where he had missed 40 out of the last 60 RM games.
Sure, he's great, when he's available. But availability seems to be an issue.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #1725
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why have Wolves become such terrorists? They used to be enjoyable to watch, but they are Burnley/West Brom level putrid this year.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1366853339196063749
Old 03-02-2021, 02:23 PM   #1726
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Why have Wolves become such terrorists? They used to be enjoyable to watch, but they are Burnley/West Brom level putrid this year.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1366853339196063749

Um. Not following you.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-02-2021, 02:25 PM   #1727
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

you must have a very weird fetish if you ever thought they were "enjoyable" to watch. They were horrible to watch last year too. In general, I'd rather watch paint dry than sit through a Wolves game ... that was true last year and it's still true this year.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:29 PM   #1728
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
you must have a very weird fetish if you ever thought they were "enjoyable" to watch. They were horrible to watch last year too. In general, I'd rather watch paint dry than sit through a Wolves game ... that was true last year and it's still true this year.
Thems are fightin' words!!

devo vs. Vlad.....aaaaaand FIGHT!

Old 03-02-2021, 02:30 PM   #1729
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Um. Not following you.
They play the most negative of football. Of course they'll probably end up winning now for the laughs. But for how much talent they have they aren't even trying to go forward most of the time.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:31 PM   #1730
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thems are fightin' words!!

devo vs. Vlad.....aaaaaand FIGHT!
nah, I'm happy for Vlad his team is back in the PL and doing well (at least they did in the last two years, not so much this year). But personally, as a football fan, their brand of football is pure hell for me.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:34 PM   #1731
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
They play the most negative of football. Of course they'll probably end up winning now for the laughs. But for how much talent they have they aren't even trying to go forward most of the time.
Of course not.

They have to play a defensively solid game because they're missing their two best players and Jota isnt coming back.

They're doing what any desperate team would do; Park the Bus and pray for a miracle.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #1732
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
nah, I'm happy for Vlad his team is back in the PL and doing well (at least they did in the last two years, not so much this year). But personally, as a football fan, their brand of football is pure hell for me.
Oh...hes never told you why they're his favourite team though has he?

That being said, I still like Wolves. They're just up against it because a bigger team came in and stole their best play and their next best player got a serious injury to the mind.

And COVID appears to have put its thumb in the 'Portuguese Pipeline.'

Old 03-02-2021, 02:36 PM   #1733
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Of course not.

They have to play a defensively solid game because they're missing their two best players and Jota isnt coming back.

They're doing what any desperate team would do; Park the Bus and pray for a miracle.
Yeah but it's so awful with a team who is literally going nowhere. No shot they get relegated, no shot they got a European spot. Basically playing for pride and still showing none.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:55 PM   #1734
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perfect game to sum up why VAR is ridiculous. If you can tell me how the Laporte goal was offside and the Jesus one wasn't, congrats I guess.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:10 PM   #1735
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Almost stole a point. That was shaping up as a statistical classic - one touch in the opposition box and it was the goal. That was also Coady's only SOG in the PL EVER!
Funny thing is should have gone in front after that.
Cannot compete with MCI without Jimenez and Jota. Jimenez is great because he can play both on the fast counter and as a static Giroud type. Can't replace that. All those other guys are basically useless without the go-to guy.
They basically play the same style as the Portugese national team has always played. Absorb, absorb, absorb and then hit back fast and with skill. Helps when you have Ronaldo or at least Jimenez to focus on. Basically what Jose is trying to do with Spurs.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:58 PM   #1736
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I do like Neto though, and it would be great if Spurs took him. Maybe we can send Doherty back in exchange.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:47 PM   #1737
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

with Leicester dropping points today and with United facing City on Sunday, I felt today is pretty much a must-win. Which is why it's not exactly surprising that it's a pretty disappointing outing so far ... offense has competely dried up recently.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:50 PM   #1738
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
with Leicester dropping points today and with United facing City on Sunday, I felt today is pretty much a must-win. Which is why it's not exactly surprising that it's a pretty disappointing outing so far ... offense has competely dried up recently.
Well just go and tell Bruno to get more penalties.

Fernandes scoring penalties is what got you this far, you just need a few more of them.

Old 03-03-2021, 02:52 PM   #1739
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

ha! Good one. Maybe Salah gets another one tomorrow, then he has as many as Bruno this season and we can finally put this Bruno penalty nonsense to bed, yeah? One can dream ...
Old 03-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #1740
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
ha! Good one. Maybe Salah gets another one tomorrow, then he has as many as Bruno this season and we can finally put this Bruno penalty nonsense to bed, yeah? One can dream ...
What happened? Did the FA stop cashing your cheques?