Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-28-2021, 03:34 PM   #8041
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by really? View Post
Perhaps that is what was meant, but co-dependent implies reliance on another. History does not support Gaudreau being dependent on Monahan.
It kind of does. Take a look how well Gaudreau plays when Monahan is out of the lineup. The difference is stark, and pretty strongly suggests that Gaudreau does in fact depend quite a bit on Monahan. But I think they really help each other, and don't mean to suggest that one is more or less indispensable than the other. They are both really important players for this team.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-28-2021 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:34 PM   #8042
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You are assuming they want a player of significant high value back. Many are assuming they want a ton of picks and prospects. Monahan in that scenario isn;t the base of the trade - he’s a guy who can take a centre spot in their roster while the picks and prospects develop with Cozens, Dahlin, and their other young guys.
If you swap Tkachuk for Monahan then you are most likely adding another 1st and a prospect like Wolf to the trade.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:34 PM   #8043
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone please point to something tangible that shows Eichel is this massive superstar? Anything? Seriously, anything other than draft pedigree and a bunch of opinions based on hype and highlight packages? What has Jack Eichel done to deserve this reverence? What elite skill does he possess? Sell me, cause It’s all horse #### based on his production and success. A player as legendary as the one being built up here should able to elevate at least his line to lofty heights, like McHobo. So where’s the supporting data? Where’s the success?
Old 02-28-2021, 03:41 PM   #8044
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

He's also terrible defensively being an incredible -66.
Now there is a useless fact. I wonder if playing for a terrible team affects that stat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 03:59 PM   #8045
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
And I think that you ignore that he’s a 28 year old second line centre who has scored over 21 goals once, and scored 19 least year. Who makes $7.8M for 5 more years, with a NTC.

Monahan has more points in fewer seasons without centring arguably the best pure goal scorer ever.
Kuznetsov's a playmaking, possession-driving center. I'm more interested in his assist totals and his ability to make his line mates better. He's also an elite skater. Monahan possesses none of these attributes.

As for his contract, I'm not sure how that's an argument against him? I think it's a value contract for what he brings. Kuznetsov also has a history of elevating his game in the playoffs, as evidenced by his nearly PPG in the postseason.

Is this a real debate?
Old 02-28-2021, 04:17 PM   #8046
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Can someone please point to something tangible that shows Eichel is this massive superstar? Anything? Seriously, anything other than draft pedigree and a bunch of opinions based on hype and highlight packages? What has Jack Eichel done to deserve this reverence? What elite skill does he possess? Sell me, cause It’s all horse #### based on his production and success. A player as legendary as the one being built up here should able to elevate at least his line to lofty heights, like McHobo. So where’s the supporting data? Where’s the success?
This is actually a good point that not many people have posted.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnhitbox For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 04:50 PM   #8047
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who are the centers that are definitely better than Eichel who are under 27? I would have the following on my list

McDavid
Matthews
MacKinnon
Draisaitl

Then you have about 6 that one can make an argument are around the same (maybe better, maybe worse) as Eichel

Point
Scheifele
Barkov
Aho
Pettersson
Barzal

What is the value of a young center that is anywhere between the 5th to 10th best at his position for his age group and makes 10 million a year? Is he a guy you give up most of your remaining prospect base for? Is he a guy you give up some of your limited depth for?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 04:54 PM   #8048
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Kuznetsov's a playmaking, possession-driving center. I'm more interested in his assist totals and his ability to make his line mates better. He's also an elite skater. Monahan possesses none of these attributes.

As for his contract, I'm not sure how that's an argument against him? I think it's a value contract for what he brings. Kuznetsov also has a history of elevating his game in the playoffs, as evidenced by his nearly PPG in the postseason.

Is this a real debate?
Considering he played with Ovechkin, his assist totals are what I’d expect. Except when he doesn’t play with Ovechkin, in which case his assist totals aren’t great.

He replaced Backstrom but now he’s been replaced by Backstrom.

You may like him better, but it’s not a huge gap and saying stuff like “31 GMs would take him over Monahan” is just hyperbole. If his 7.8M for 52 points last year is good value, then Monahan’s $6.375 for 48 is even better. One has 8 seasons, 395 points. The other has 8 seasons, but is younger, plays with a lesser talent and has 426 points.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 05:28 PM   #8049
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

BUF is such a mess, but they do have some pretty great TDL bait:

Hall
Staal
Montour

Risto/Miller +1 to UFA

Unless they are getting a Lindros-ish haul, I've gotta imagine they wait until the off-season for anything related to Eichel.

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a 3-team deal. They desperately need a goalie and to ship out at least one of Okposo/Skinner. What a mess.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:11 PM   #8050
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eichel led the Sabres in scoring last year by 28 points. You get him away from that team, and Kruger, and put him with a guy like Gaudreau, or even Tkachuk, he gets you 100 pts easy. Dude won the Hobey Baker with 71pts in 48g, and that was in his draft year. Just my opinion.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 06:24 PM   #8051
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Eichel led the Sabres in scoring last year by 28 points. You get him away from that team, and Kruger, and put him with a guy like Gaudreau, or even Tkachuk, he gets you 100 pts easy. Dude won the Hobey Baker with 71pts in 48g, and that was in his draft year. Just my opinion.
It’s not like he’s been surrounded by slugs though. Taylor Hall this year, Oloffson, Reinhart, Kane.

I get the concern. He’s not a guy who teams probably devise special game plans to counter.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:30 PM   #8052
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

My eye test on Eichel has always been very impressive. He does a lot of things at a high level.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 06:32 PM   #8053
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
BUF is such a mess, but they do have some pretty great TDL bait:

Hall
Staal
Montour

Risto/Miller +1 to UFA

Unless they are getting a Lindros-ish haul, I've gotta imagine they wait until the off-season for anything related to Eichel.

I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being a 3-team deal. They desperately need a goalie and to ship out at least one of Okposo/Skinner. What a mess.
All those guys are rentals, and underperforming ones at that.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:33 PM   #8054
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
My eye test on Eichel has always been very impressive. He does a lot of things at a high level.
Skates well, drives play, plus-if we aquired him, we'd have more than one guy who can carry a puck over the blueline!
Old 02-28-2021, 07:36 PM   #8055
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Skates well, drives play, plus-if we aquired him, we'd have more than one guy who can carry a puck over the blueline!
Please, if he can't master the drop pass followed by standing at the blueline and waiting patiently, he's just another chump.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:37 PM   #8056
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean Eichel has 174 points in 161 games in the last 3 seasons. That's great production IMO
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 07:39 PM   #8057
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can someone please point to something tangible that shows Eichel is this massive superstar? Anything?
If I showed you something tangible, you'd just move the goalpost and start complaining about its validity.

You do you.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 02-28-2021, 07:42 PM   #8058
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Except score, play any level of defense, make others around him better, and win? If fans are pissed at Monahan wait until they get a load of this guy! Then again, there is a contingent on this site that prefers to cheer for individual success over team success, so maybe Eichel is the perfect fit for those fans? I want a team that plays for each other and wins, not individuals who play flashy and get their heads caved in.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:43 PM   #8059
SnipeShow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
We already have a guy that's won the Hobey Baker. This new guy may just get in the way.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to SnipeShow For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 07:47 PM   #8060
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
If I showed you something tangible, you'd just move the goalpost and start complaining about its validity.

You do you.
Careful. This from the guy who has convinced himself Sam Bennett is a good hockey player and the Flames have mistreated him.
Closed Thread